• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Shadow People - Cast

Endgame

Free until they cut me down.
shadowpeoplebanner_zps05usgbjz.png
If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change
costume and come back as a new character... Would you slow down? Or speed up?"

Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

c a s t .

Jess Karolyn Sheppard .................. ISKOLDE
Khayri Jevaan ...................... WORDARTIST
Valorie Moore ..................... STONEWOLF18
Skye Lake ................................... KENNEDY
Haloes Havanna Grey .................. WOLFSOL
Anthony Alborn ........................... ENDGAME
Logan Riggs .......... MAGE_CLAWHAMMER
Nicodemus Everett ....... STORM GUARDIAN

r e l a t i o n s h i p s .

| Jess | Jevaan | Valorie | Skye | Hal | Anthony | Logan | Nico |

n p c s .

| Henry | Selema | Agnes | Cole | Annetta | Lance | Martin |

L I N K S
recruitment
in character

library►
cast►
discussion

Last edited:
skye5.png

Name: Skye Lake

Age at Death: 21
Death Years: 48 (died in 1969)
Birthplace: San Francisco, California, USA
Death place: White Lake, New York, USA

Apartment Number: 202

Occupation in Death: Works in a tiny “alternative medicine” shop as a herbalist during the day; at night she’s a bit of a radical rebel, often up to no good.

Personality: Skye is the Flower Child who lives in the moment. No judgment; just love and happiness for everyone. She often has a content smile on her face when she's high relaxed, and is always there to help anyone who needs it... Even if it's someone she doesn't particularly agree with. She has an open-door policy (literally--she never locks her apartment door); so long as you don't try and force her to change, you are more than welcome to be in her home and be with her.

Biography: Born Ruth Lakefield, Skye is the type of girl who goes where the wind takes her--she doesn’t remember the last time she stayed in one place for too long. Spontaneity is who she is; a flower child then, and a flower child now. When she was alive, she never felt oppressed by her right-winged traditional parents. She went off with a group of friends to travel the country as soon as she graduated high school, riding the road of whatever came her way. She would be in California enjoying the waves one week, Washington DC protesting the right to free speech the next.

Across the country she traveled before landing in White Lake, New York for the epitome of aquarius: Woodstock. There she lost herself in the music, the love… The drugs.

After life, Skye felt free. Free to create the life she always wanted; she chose her own name, shortening her last name to keep a safe hommage towards her family. She continued to travel around the country wherever a van was going. She showers peace among the people, and protests freedoms and happiness with a strong voice.

Seattle, Washington called to her with the legalization of marijuana, and when she arrived she felt at home, working at a friend’s alternative medicine shop as a way to keep her feet planted.​

Last edited:
tumblr_nvntyuXp4h1szwywco1_400.png
Name: Jess Karolyn Sheppard

Age at Death: 24

Death Years: 41 (Died 1962)

Birthplace: Swan Island, Maine

Deathplace: Richmond, Maine

Apartment Number: 302

Occupation in Death: Landscaper

Personality:
Jess tends to come off as cocky self-absorbed because of her huge amount of confidence in herself. She doesn't mean to seem cocky it just seems that most peipke see her as such. Once you get to know the adventurous girl, you'll find she's loyal to no fault and reckless as all get out. Jess will literally do anything, no matter how dangerous, of she's asked by a friend. The blonde Drifter is a talker to the highest degree. Jess has a motormouth that just refuses to shut off sometimes and she's loud in top of that. She's not the stealthiest of Drifters. An affectionate person, Jess has a habit of performing unwanted of unexpected hugs/touches to people. It won't matter if you're a stranger or her best friend she will hug you or something to that measure of she feels you need it.

As we've gone over before, Jess is like really loud. This loudness is accompanied by ungracefulness, a sailor mouth, and over-curiosity. Jess has a habit of walking into walls, knocking things over, and just causing a mess wherever she goes. Though she might not have had it when she was alive, over the course of her time as a Drifter Jess has developed a major sailor mouth. There's most likely a curse word lurking around every corner of her words. Now, curiosity isn't a had thing to a fault, but Jess is just a little it too curious. Jess's curiosity lead her down unknown roads, into oncoming traffic, into electric fences, of straight in the direction of a rabid dog chained to his home. In other words, she gets hurt, a lot.

Jess has a weakness for brown and hazel eyes, dogs, anything chocolate, and pretty girls.

Jess hates large bodies water. Don't ask her to go swimming, she will disown you.

Biography: Born Annalise Jessica Sharpe in the early 1950s in the secluded town of Swan Island, Maine, Jess was always the curious sort. With an overprotective mother and a small-minded and stern father Jess never really got to experience much of anything in her life. Jess started planning her escape in her 21st birthday. She aquired a boat and an alibi involving the young man down the street to get her parents to let her out of the house. Swan Island is only acessable by boat just off Richmond, Maine. Jess had planned to paddle over to the mainland. But, it seemed, things wouldn't go as planned after all. Jess's boat was leaky, with several small holes in the bottom of it and it didn't float for very long before it started sinking. Unfortunately for her, Jess had never learned to swim and drowned right there off the coast of Richmond a week after her 24th birthday.

Last edited:
addf85d9-4efd-4b68-905f-e67574cc4453_zpsdkinu6uk.jpg

ANTHONY ALBORN
née ISAAC ARTHUR

Age at Death: 27
Death Years: 21
Birthplace: Astoria, OR
Deathplace: Seattle, WA
Apartment #: 304
"The only advantage of being dead is there is one less mystery to solve about the afterlife. Unfortunately, it comes with its own baggage of uncertainty for you to figure out."

Anthony moved to Seattle during the rise of Grunge to follow in the footsteps of the genre's forefather Nirvana. But like most dreams of this nature, his dream never came to fruition. Never quite making it out of the bar scene, he retired from his musical career and took a job in sales for a copier company in downtown Seattle.

Succumbing to the perils of quarter life crisis, things got further complicated following the birth of his daughter, Lucky. Anthony's relationship with Lucky's mother was precarious. After a recurrent argument, Samantha stormed out with Lucky in tow and fled to her mother's in Tacoma. When Anthony never called Sam back, Sam sought him out instead, and came home to find Anthony dead on the floor in the middle of living room of their small one bedroom apartment—at least, that's what he heard at his memorial.

He was twenty-seven.

The irony of dying at the same age as his idol two years later would have been comical if he wasn't—of course—dead.

How he came to as a Drifter is a different story—behind a dumpster being prodded in the gut with a nightstick by one of Seattle's finest disorientated, confused; and also, naked. Needless to say, his entrance into the afterlife wasn't a welcoming one.

For three years he floundered, trying to find a way to reintegrate himself into his former life only to be crushed by the overwhelming reality of his situation. For five more years he faded, until he met another Drifter named Agnes who shed some insight on his situation. At Agnes' behest, he took up residence in Park 3025 and feigned a newfound interest in street magic. He doesn't make much, but it keeps him interacting with humanity and manages to delay the Fading. At least, for the time being.

Personality: Anthony is a cynic. He doesn't trust any Drifter who believes they've somehow been given a second chance at life. He smokes like a chimney, eats at whatever food stand (truck, shop, or restaurant) happens to cross his path, and abuses his 'immortality' for the sole purpose of flipping the bird at whatever divine power decided to leave him stranded in this dual existence. Making a mockery of his situation seems to be the only way he knows how to survive. He does, however, embrace the Seattle life; day, night, or early hours of the morning he can tell you where to get the best taco in the city and how an accursed Drifter can keep himself or herself entertained for the next foreseeable hundred years or more. He often hangs out in Westlake Park playing chess with retirees when he isn't busking to pay for all his 'bad habits'. He likes sangria, Spanish soap operas, and occasionally feeding the ducks in Golden Gardens Park.

Last edited:

Basic Information

Name: Valorie Moore
Age at Death: 28
Years Since Death: None, a couple weeks at most.
Occupation in Death: Searching for Employment
Sexuality: Bi-curious
Apartment: 203

Appearance Information

Height: 5' 4"
Weight: 105 lbs (she is a but underweight due to having a fast metabolism)
Hair: Thick, long, black, parted in the center, extends to her mid-back.
Eyes: Black (pupils are still visible)
Build: Slim
Complexion: Rather pale

Personal Information

Birthplace: Erostey, Missouri, United States
Deathplace: New York, New York, United States
Personality: Valorie is a rather soft spoken individual, not really one crave attention or force her options down other’s throats. Although that doesn’t mean she isn’t social, for the woman does enjoy spending time alongside others she is close with as well as meeting those she hasn’t, as long as they aren’t too loud or obnoxious.
Biography: Valorie was more than undeserving of her death. To begin with, she was born and raised in a rather small rural town with nothing all that special to note. Her life was painfully mundane in more than one aspect, her clichely overprotective parents included. And so when she finally was able to leave and go to college via a scholarship for business, she took it rather readily, being one of the few from her small graduating class of about 35 to actually leave the farm town.

New York was the last place she expected to end up, and so was her occupation. While she had finished getting her masters degree, she had been hired by a local hotshot. The CEO of a major technology corporation. Even though the pay wasn’t all that stellar, the hours were reasonable and she could actually work towards something better in the meantime.

That… never happened.

The man she was working under had been treating her more like a personal slave, piling all his work onto her, drinking and sleeping with whores instead of maintaining the company like she should’ve. This was tiresome, the woman working long hours just to keep his reputation and company afloat (even though it wasn’t what she was being paid for, mind you) until the man finally mixed the wrong amount of alcohol and antidepressants. Losing his mind when he had stepped into his office that morning, pulling the trigger on both her and his secretary.
Coded By || StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18

Last edited:

tumblr_niv6jyCWfW1u1843wo1_500.jpg

HALOES HAVANA GREY

'We know what we are, but not what we may be,

About

[ Age at Death ] 22 (Died in 1995)
[ Death Years ] 30 years
[ Birthplace ] Johnson City, TN
[ Deathplace ] Miami, FL
[ Apartment Number ] Floor 4: 404
[ Occupation in Death ] Pet-Sitter and Caretaker

Haloes stands at a lanky 5'7" with long, cascading hair of black, and dark eyes that always appear vacant or dead. She's often caught in black attire (mostly crop or tank tops), and with her hair brushed to one side of her head.
Biography

Having been raised in a mixed household of Cuban, Philippine, and American descent, Haloes Havanna Grey was a successful young woman in the late 1990's. She was the first to graduate college in her family and the first in her family to move out of Tennessee. Having acquired degrees in medical forensics, general psychology, and criminology, Haloes had been working toward something great.

However, after moving to Miami, Florida with her husband in 1993, everything went downhill. The love of her life had been refused multiple job opportunities while she was accepted for an internship in a medical forensics laboratory. Jealousy encouraged a degrading relationship that ended with abuse.

Haloes, in 1995 on June 27th, had had enough of her husband's childish and hateful demeanor. After a spat that ended in a physical fight, she left their household at 9pm, and died in a car wreck collision.

She would have survived if a pile-up had not occurred.

Now, Haloes is a "professional" pet-sitter and caretaker with a website and Care.com profile. She remembers little of her former life, and finds a dislike for driving and sitting in vehicles. She's only crossed paths with her family once, but she felt no desire to interact with them due to her situation.

Persona

The former embodiment of devotion, determination, and hardheadedness... at least, that's what she'd heard, Haloes was a motivated woman when she was alive and well. Back then, she strove for success, now she strives for silence, books, "cat loves," and the cold cramps from ice cream. She's not necessarily cold, but she is analytical, constantly observing. Being sociable and acting humanly can tire her out, and at times, annoy her. She finds it useless when it comes to pretending to be human and making a relationship with the living. She prefers cats, at least the ones that she's sneaked into the apartment, over people, but is glad for the company of other Drifters. Cats and fellow Drifters are currently what keep her grounded. Even if socializing is exhausting to her, it helps encourage her dwindling mentality.

She has a special obsession for fluffy cats, Hamlet, and Sea Salt Caramel flavored ice cream. She can no longer taste the ice cream, not the cold or the flavor, but her love for it still stands.

Last edited:
03e386b65f6f8314038edef18ee90c86.jpg

Logan Riggs

Age at Death:

Death Years:
38 (1979)

Birthplace:
Roanoke VA, USA

Deathplace:
Dunsmuir CA, USA

Apartment Number:

Occupation in Death:
Independent Entrepreneur / Paranormal Investigator

Biography:

I am the Dark, and I am in the dark with you.

There was another commune once, but nobody knows about that. And there was a girl, a girl that I loved, but nobody knows about that either.

I was born in a small coastal town, and sought my fortunes out west. The coroner's report on my death says that I was mauled by a large predator. I was thought to have been hitch hiking outside the town of Dunsmuir in northern California, as my remains were found just off the highway. A black bear was the most likely suspect, though the official report still lists the culprit as “unknown”.

I do not know what happened after that, but my soul wandered far. In desperation, it sought out the closest reminder to home that it could find, and I regained awareness somewhere on the Pacific shoreline with the roar of the ocean in my ears. There was a man waiting for me with his toes buried in the sand. He picked me up, and took me to meet my new family.

I met a woman, and we fell in love. It was hard and fast, the sort of all consuming romance that anchors two lives together. In the end, it wasn't enough to sustain her, but it was enough to imprison me. After she faded, I learned of a trick using mirrors that could trap a Bedlam. I caught her, and I contained her, and over the course of ten years, I fed her. That was the great irony of our relationship. She was the one who lost her humanity, but I was the one who became the monster. I had to be methodical, patient, and adaptive, but I tricked them all. I lead them all, and gave them all to her. After each feeding she would regain herself, and for a couple of hours we would be together again. That was enough for me, enough motivation to keep me going, to keep bringing them to her no matter how deeply it made me hate what I was.

“I am the Dark, and I am in the dark with you.” She whispered each time, in the last moments before I lost her again. I don't know where she heard those words, but she spoke them like a prayer, her personal mantra.

I had always known that, inevitably, I'd either get caught, or I'd run out of options. I hoped for the former, but I got the latter. With the commune destroyed, I considered giving myself over to her. Wouldn't you know it, though? I'm a goddamned coward. I couldn't bring myself to do it, and instead I left her there, trapped between the mirrors. I knew the fading would continue, until she was truly gone forever. I thought that, without her, I would fade away too, but I was wrong.

Long after I lost my ability to taste or smell. Even after I lost the comprehension of hot, or cold, or pain, I still had my hate. Hate; that wild emotion which burns like acid. My hate sustains me.

I traveled the coast, aimless, moving north. It was only a matter of time before I found my way into Washington, and into the grip of Seattle's siren call. As hard as I tried to avoid it, I fell in with others, and we began to form a family, a commune. It's essential to stay together, for protection and for purpose. Together we share information and experiences, and watch for the Bedlam. We keep each other safe.

I put on the brave face. I smile, and I laugh, and I joke, but on the inside, none of it registers. My joy has no root, and my laughter rings hollow. Inside, I am seething.

There is a monster living in Park 3025, but nobody knows about that.

I am the Dark, and I am in the dark with you.

Personality
Logan likes to portray himself as carefree, jovial, and mischievous. He laughs easy and often, can be quite outspoken, and typically has to get the last word in any verbal exchange. He tends to walk the line where the secrecy of the commune is concerned. He has been known, at certain times of the year, to run an independent daytime ghost tour. The tour basically consists of Logan leading a disappointed group of tourists around Park 3025, telling spooky stories all the while that he usually makes up out of thin air. He advertises that visitors will be guaranteed to come into contact with something "not of this living world", and finds it incredibly amusing and ironic that these people can wander all day amongst the dead and not have a clue.

In spite of how Logan portrays himself, he prefers solitude to the company of others. Unless approached directly and offered and invitation for company, friendship, or friendly activities, Logan will keep to himself, and has been known to sequester himself away in his room, or disappear from the premises for days at a time. When outside of the public eye, his attitude flips on it's head. When he doesn't have to pretend; Logan is moody, short tempered, paranoid, and prone to violence, particularly against himself.

Last edited:
full

Nicodemus Everett

Age at Death: 16

Death Years: 48 years

Birthplace: District of Columbia, USA

Deathplace: Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Apartment Number: 304

Written Appearance: Nico is tall, standing at a little below 2 meters tall, with a wiry physique. He has untidy black/white/orange hair that is carelessly swept to the side, green eyes, and a large nose.

Occupation in Death: McDonald's crew worker/Part-time college student/Roadside guitar player

Personality: Nico is best described as a shy extrovert. He finds it very energizing to talk to people but will prefer to sit in his room learning about Beethoven or something.
People can make assumptions about Nico based on his hairstyle, and this time, appearances do not lie. If he had to choose a clique, he would probably be an emo. Therefore, Nico is very prone to emotions, which has only dulled a bit since his life as a Drifter. However, he does not understand sorrow or regret that well. He will try to imitate the emotions, but more likely than not, it would be a complete bust.
Nico will put a lot of trust in people, even if he doesn't know them that well. In other words, he will blindly trust people, and that trust may be wrongly placed.
He lives in the moment, and tries to be as positive as he can.

Biography: "What I know is from memories I retained from my past, documents that I left behind in my past life, and the unerasable things left in my mind."
"I remember that I was born in DC, in a family that was full of hardcore tourists. We traveled to places like New York City, Auckland, Tokyo, and Mexico City by boat. We were somewhat rich, so money wasn't exactly an issue. I once managed to find my journal, which said that I also have traveled to places like Yellowstone, Hong Kong, London, and even Dhaka. I assume that I don't remember these because they were minor moments compared to the other travels."
"My grades reveal that I had a high interest in the arts, especially music (Because everything is in the C+ category while it seems like music is an A) I have discovered that I know how to play the acoustic guitar, which says that I've probably played it before. I've heard that playing an instrument is a muscle, you will never forget it even if you lose your memory."
"What also tells me that I love music is that when I hear some types of music, I still know the lyrics to them."
"Uhh... how did I get my journal and my grade book? Heh. Heh. I broke into my house after I became a Drifter."
"After I regained consciousness as a Drifter, I've spent my new life in a continuous cycle, over and over again. I decided that I needed to set up a new life."
"When I was in middle school, I met a friend who was kinda sociopathic and had knowledge of all things illegal, including forged passports, fake SSN numbers and the such. Don't judge me. I didn't know he was like. I got in touch with him, figured out the cost of getting these stuff. They were hella expensive."
"Fortunately, I had a college fund. My parents let me start the bank account, and gave me a crap ton of money since they wanted me to go to a good college. Well, too late now. I'm dead."
"So I took the money and met up with a guy in a dark alleyway. Unfortunately, I forgot about what Drifters did in the dark. So it ended up the shady guy shrieked and dropped the fake passport and a piece of paper with my fake SSN on the ground and ran away. Sweet. I didn't even have to use the money."
"So then started my daily, boring life in the District of Columbia. In the morning I would take classes at the high school. In the afternoons, I would work at the local McDonalds for a fun, rewarding job! I hope that sounded sarcastic. Finally, during the evenings and in the early night, I would play my guitar under the glow of a streetlight."
"This didn't seem to work well for me. I felt my humanity fading day after day. I had to get out of DC. I started taking more classes (and this kinda helped the feeling of fading out). Encountering a Bedlam was the last straw for me. I had to move. Fortunately, after that year, I would finish all the courses needed for graduation."
"So I left the District of Columbia and headed off by public transit to where my dead heart told me to go. Eventually, I found myself in at the Space Needle. Seattle."
"I set up a new job and a new schedule. My schedule wasn't too different, other than the fact that I now took schooling at the local community college."
"Sooner or later I had to worry about money. Fortunately, my parents died. And they had a bank account. So with the help of the Black Market, I managed to get all the funds out of my parent's bank."

• Nico fell into one of those steaming hot Yellowstone park lake attractions
  • Nico's name when he was alive was Nicodemus Sawyer and he went by Nick. He changed his name when regaining consciousness to avoid people realizing who he was. And he changed his preferred name to Nico, because.... because.
  • Nico always carries a flashlight on himself for defense. If he encounters a bedlam, then he would shine the light on them. If it is a person, he would bonk them over the head with it. The flashlight's made of metal
  • The state of Nico's mind is okay. He hasn't faded too much, but he can't feel pain as easily, and cannot understand the emotion sadness anymore
    • "Music is something humans love. I still love music, so I know that I am still human"
  • Nico's sexuality is hemisexual. Or maybe demisexual. I'm pretty certain they mean the same thing.

Last edited:
Name: Khayri Jevaan (but known as Donan Bishop to the general public)

Age at Death: 58

Death Years: 132

Birthplace: Currently Unknown

Deathplace: New York, NY (USA)

Apartment Number: 101

Donan.jpg

Occupation in Death:
Donan Bishop runs The Zookeeper Project. See the project section (below) for details on the organization itself.

Biography:

Though Jevaan - as he is known by his friends - remembers almost nothing of his life, he knows that his death was a rather dramatic one in the great city of New York. Unfortunately, that's about all he remembers of his death. Jevaan's soul wandered for almost two decades before waking.

The newfound 'life' that he had, when he came to realize what he was, served to confuse him. With no identification, and looking a bit out of place in New York as it was, Jevaan was left wandering without purpose and was quickly given to fading. Without knowing why, he found himself drawn west, and while he found odd jobs under the table here and there to put a roof over his head and shoes on his feet, he could never stay in one place for more than a few days before being inexplicably drawn to continue his journey.

It wasn't until he found himself about as far west as he could get that he finally settled down, finding a job in a fuel station garage in Seattle and working as an on-the-go mechanic. He was paid in cash, so he never had to worry much about the legal ramifications of his employment, but the work didn't stop the persistent drain that left him feeling apathetic.

It was months before he was rescued from that pit. Discovered accidentally by a fellow Drifter with a bad part and a worse attitude, Jevaan was dragged bodily out of the garage and scolded for his apathy. He was given a fire-hydrant education about his newfound life, and though he still felt very little in the way of care, he then knew that if he didn't pull himself up by his bootstraps, and fast, he would be considerably worse off than dead and bored.

With the thought in mind that he couldn't be the only ignorant one out there, he started searching for others like himself - Drifters who were stuck in nowhere jobs and quickly losing their humanity - and began teaching them as much as he knew himself. Along the way, he learned as much as he taught. Many years later, he finally opened a small, underground school in the basement of a Drifter-run bookstore that continued to provide education for those who were as lost as he had been when he had first come to awareness.

Slowly, the school outgrew the basement, and several of the students expressed an interest in continuing their education on Drifters. With a mind toward research, many of them banded together to delve into an entirely-unexplored subject. The project grew beyond its means very quickly, and Jevaan realized that they would need to obtain funding somehow. Recruiting a few students who had a passion for nature, Jevaan created a cover charity to go public with, and The Zookeeper Project was born.

Now, more than half a century later and with the project he started in a bookstore basement having grown into a global endeavor, Jevaan now seeks a successor - a young Drifter with great passion and potential - to take over for him.

Personality:
Jevaan is a hard-ass, bad-attitude, mean guy. He doesn't take kindly to most people, and the world at large doesn't question his lack of involvement in The Zookeeper Project's cover charity because, frankly, nobody likes the man's bad attitude. This discompassionate reputation is bred from apathy, an unemotional state of existence that resulted from his poor self-management as a young Drifter. Jevaan's one and only purpose - the only meaning left in his second life - is educating and protecting other Drifters. It keeps him going... barely. But that's about to change. Jevaan is fading, just like all Drifters are, and his primary goal at this point has become to find a successor... someone to head up the project... because he won't be around for much longer.

The Zookeeper Project:

Foundation:
Started and based in Seattle over a half-century ago, this now-global charity organization is an information-gathering and research project that facilitates the continuing education of those seeking to preserve wildlife in its natural habitat and, contrary to its name, keep these animals out of captivation... at least on the surface.

Research:
Beneath the facade, The Zookeeper Project hosts the world's foremost authorities, such as they are, on Drifters and Bedlams. While considerably more is known about Drifters today than was half a century before, there is still much that they don't know. Research is ever ongoing in hopes of discovering the true nature of the Drifters' existence and, just like project's cover goal, keep the Drifters out of the captivity that they call Bedlam.

Education:
In addition to educating the Drifters to their own existence, the perils that they face, and the possibilities available to them, The Zookeeper Project also provides educational scholarships to Drifters who wish to seek their personal purpose in a higher profession.

Defense:
The Zookeeper Project's global facilities are always on the alert for Bedlam. In addition to warning the surrounding communities of the potential threat, a specialized team of individuals from around the world are dispatched to locations where Bedlam have been confirmed. This team - consisting of between five and seven people, depending on the anticipated situation - specializes in arts of Bedlam distraction and baiting, using their psychological and physical training to lead Bedlam away from local Drifter communities and into secluded areas where the Bedlam can fade without causing harm. Because attempting to destroy a Bedlam is such an incredibly dangerous undertaking, this team avoids direct confrontation with Bedlam at all costs.

Funding:
Continued research, education, and defense are funded through charitable contributions from Drifters who seek to make a positive difference in their own lives and in the lives of others like themselves. Though a very few Drifters work at in the top echelons of The Zookeeper Project's cover charity, the bulk of the work is run by humans who are ignorant to the undercover cause of the project. Funds for the cover charity are never used for undercover operations, as the legal ramifications of misuse of charitable funds would drag the Drifters at large into a very uncomfortable - and potentially very dangerous - spotlight.

Valoire - Relationships
Jess - Unknown
Jevaan - Unknown
Anthony - Unknown
Skye - Unknown
Hal - Unknown
Logan - Unknown
Nico - Unknown

Now, i would like to explain that when the roleplay would begin, I would like Valoire to be just showing up at the apartment building after being a drifter for, oh maybe a week or two with really no clue as to why she was drawn there or what she now is. If anyone would like to have met her during that time frame before she arrived and maybe guided her to the residence where they are all staying, lemme know!

Skye's Relationships
Jess: Friend (has nothing but patience and love for her above neighbour)
Anthony: BFF (Best Foodie Friends)
Valorie: Stranger (but will welcome her with open arms and love during her transition)
Hal: Acquaintance (always has a flower for her to make sure she remembers the beauty in the world)
Logan: Friend (secret sharing, platonic love, the whole nine)
Nico: Acquaintance (heartbroken over how his life was taken away at such a young age)
Khayri: Foe (does not like corporations in any way, shape, or form, nor the people who run them)

J E S S ' S R E L A T I O N S H I P S

||Jevaan|| Friend; Jess enjoys spending time at Jevaan's school and has the general friendly aptitude to get around his somewhat mean behavior.

||Valorie|| Unkown; Jess is completely willing to get to know her. She'd most likely gonput of her way to talk to Valorie.

||Anthony|| Aquaintance; Jess tries to avoid Anthony without being rude. She just doesn't like his cynical air.

||Skye|| Friend; Jess likes Skye's adventurous attitude. She lived a life Jess could've only dreamed of.

||Hal|| Friend; Jess appriciates Hal's quietness, as it allows her to talk all day and Hal will be there to listen. It also helps that she always had random cats, Jess likes the cats too.

||Logan|| Foe; Logan scares Jess, to be honest, though she'd never admit it. She tries really hard to keep her distance.

||Nico|| Friend; Jess is as nice as she can be to Nico. The kid died young and she can't help but feel sad for him.

Hal's Relationships:

Jess (friend) - She's glad for the company that Jess brings, the fellow Drifter is someone she can rely on and knows understands her when she requires "quiet cat cuddle time." Also it's cool, she likes cats too.
Jevaan (acquaintance) -- It's uncommon for her to talk to Jevaan, it's hard and mostly unpleasant, but she still finds admiration for him.
Valorie (unknown) -- She has nothing against the newbies, and won't have an opinion or judgement until she had had her fair share of staring at the newcomer in silent observance.
Anthony (acquaintance) -- She finds him intetesting to converse with, seeing his cynicism as a good change in perspectives. She worries for his wellbeing though, but his business is not her concern.
Skye (foe) -- Perhaps it's a type of jealousy that encourages Hal's animosity toward Skye. She finds the woman to be too outgoing and outspoken for her own good, something that isn't quite Hal's forte when it comes to the afterlife.
Logan (acquaintance) -- She sees him more like a pouting child high on sugar. In all honesty, she finds him interesting, but doesn't want to bother a fellow-low-extrovert-battery-guy as he always appears distant to her. She thinks it would help him if he had a cat to cuddle.
Nico (acquaintance) -- She actually enjoys his company as much as she enjoys Jess and her company, she and likes to listen to his guitar. Maybe its his drive, but he had influenced her more than once to try at music (but she's a tone deaf whale).

Nico's Relation Chart

WIP. Prone to change
Jess: "I know Jess somewhat well. I know she is reliable and trustworthy, and this time this trust is well placed. Additionally, she is a good person to show emotion toward." (Very good friend)
Khayri: "Khayri and I both love knowledge. I feel like I'm going to need the Zookeeper Project's support in order to keep myself going and my college career going. Additionally, the old man has a lot of wisdom that I need to know in this life." (Good acquaintance)
Valorie: "I've seen her only once when I was playing my guitar. Didn't talk to her though. She seems new. I need to talk to her or something" (Stranger)
Skye: "Loud, obnoxious and clumsy. I'm kinda scared about her breaking something. But she is kind, and I value kindness. I am determined to return the same to her." (Friend)
Hal: "I like her. I like cats. And I feel good knowing that my music will probably be one of the things keeping her from fading." (Friend)
Anthony: "I don't know what to make of him. He's a good person to talk to, but I feel like he is also too negative." (Neutral)
Logan: "Unfortunately, I see right through his facade. His eyes don't light up like the others when he laughs. I know there is something that he is hiding, and I believe it will kill us. Well, more than we are right now." (Foe)

Last edited:
Anthony

R E L A T I O N S H I P S .

Jess (acquaintance). There isn't anything explicitly wrong with Jess, but her unnecessary boisterous nature tends to hit a nerve with Anthony. He also hasn't gotten over that one time he offered her a piece of his gourmet grilled cheese and she declined.

Jevaan (acquaintance). Anthony's overall opinion of Jevaan is null. He recognizes Jevaan is an important figurehead to the Drifter community, but he hasn't exactly stepped in line with the rest of the Drifters amassing to join the cause. On a personal level, he might even like Jevaan. But at the level of a Drifter, his attention is more focus on his own interests.

Valorie (unknown). They haven't met yet, but it is safe to say that they'd likely get along okay.

Skye (friend). There is no truer statement made about Anthony than "a way to a man's heart is through his stomach" and it was through the stomach that these two unlikely individuals forged an alliance. Five words: Maximum Minimus pulled pork sandwiches.

Hal (acquaintance). Anthony has a crush on Hal, but one of those grade school crushes where he pushes her into the dirt and calls her ugly. Essentially, he is a nothing short of a shameless asshole with but fleeting moments of amicability. Regardless, she is so far out of his league that if he made a conscious effort he doubts it would ever go anywhere -- which is half the reason why he doesn't bother in the first place.

Logan (foe). Maybe foe is a strong word, but Anthony doesn't trust Logan as far as he could throw him. He is put off by Logan's kind, cheery demeanour; no one is that nice after being reborn into a Drifter. Not unless they want something. Unfortunately, Anthony tends to be shortsighted in nature and doesn't know how close to the truth that is; he's still too fixated on that atrocity Logan tried to pass off as a steak dinner the first time they met. Steak well done... might as well have ate rubber.

Nico (acquaintance). Anthony doesn't want to like the kid but he has difficulty pretending he doesn't. There is just something he finds infectious about Nico's personality -- something akin to small pox. Rumour in the Drifter community is Anthony even came out once to watch Nico play guitar. Although if you ask him, he will never admit it.

Logan’s Relationships .
Jess (Foe) She's loud, obnoxious, and acts like she's God's gift to the dead. I can respect her use of vocabulary, but one of her parents should have really tried to reinforce that whole “inside voice” concept.

Jevaan (Acquaintance) I admire what he has done, and what he is trying to do through the Zookeepers, even if I think it's mildly pointless. His personality could curdle milk. I typically just ignore him.

Valorie (Unknown) Who? We’re getting someone new? Well, I’ll just have to make myself a note to go say ‘Hi’.

Anthony (Nemesis) This man will try to poison you with raw meat if you let him. And if you tell him that you prefer a little more char with your food, he acts like you just spat on his girlfriend. What kind of person makes snap decisions about people based on what they eat? The same kind that feeds rice to pigeons, that's who. He likes to pretend that he's all edgy and nonchalant. Really, though, I think he's wound about as tightly as a guitar string. Not even a guitar; more like a ukulele. You can gracefully strum a guitar. Anthony’s just a dull twang.

Skye (Friend) This girl can seem about as flighty as a flock of birds, but she's one of the most beautiful people I know. Our existence is often a bleak one. It's easy to lose sight of the things that bring us joy. Skye, whether she does it consciously or not, defies our situation. She endeavors to be happy, playful, and carefree. More than that, she strives to spread those feelings to others. Her attitude tends to be just as obnoxious as it is contagious, but I love her for it all the same.

Hal (Acquaintance) Quiet, observant, and keeps to herself. There's a lot here that I can relate to. If we aren’t discussing the weather, our attempts at conversation tend to fall flat, which is fine. I'll take amicable silence over mindless chatter any day.

Nico (Acquaintance) I'm friendly enough to the kid, but I get the feeling that I make him uncomfortable. It's better, I think, that I just keep my distance. I believe we're both happier that way. Nice hair, though….

Khayri Jevaan's Relationships

Jess: Neutral Student - Though Jevaan has some respect for Jess' ability to get things done, he has little patience for her reckless over-confidence.

Valorie: Stranger

Skye: Foe - Jevaan has no respect for Skye's carefree, irresponsible attitude, and their mutual dislike of one another seems to be an endless cycle.

Hal: Positive Aquaintance - Jevaan has respect for Hal's outlook on life, and the similarities between them do not go unnoticed to him. The two could potentially become friends, if they could get past the social barriers and talk for a while.

Anthony: Neutral Aquaintance - Jevaan doesn't have any love for Anthony's abuse of his own existence, but he has a decent respect for the man's ability to help others when he feels like it.

Logan: Neutral Acquaintance (positive and negative moments) - Compared with the rest of the cast, Jevaan finds Logan to be a conundrum. His outgoing attitude is a bit of a put-off, and his perceived mood swings and reckless nature have their places firmly on Jevaan's bad list; however, the occasional guided tour through the complex that Logan runs mitigates the inevitable rumors of supernatural activity around the complex. The irony on both hands of the situation is not lost on him, but the unexpected result of Logan's brash and risky actions has given Jevaan a tenuous respect for the man... even if those results were entirely unintended.

Nico: Positive Acquaintance - Though they've not spoken at much length, Jevaan has a soft spot for Nico, recognizing his vulnerability as a naive Drifter who still retains much of his human emotions. Nico's survival up to now is a point to respect, and Jevaan likes both Nico's whatever-it-takes approach to life and his eagerness to learn. If these two could break the social boundaries, I think they could become as close as family.

(Edited for clarification and correction 7/19/2017)

Last edited:
Henry Samson | 78 | Human

Created by Endgame. PM for permission.

Henry is one of the few humans aware of Drifters that hasn't fallen victim to the overriding fear that typically erases knowledge of their existence. Although not clear on how or why, he believes that his strange ability to sense the Drifters is related to his blindness. Like Drifters, he can also consequently sense Bedlam and when a Drifter is about to give into the fading, or what he refers to as "give up the ghost". He, however, cannot be harm by Bedlam, and in turn, cannot harm them.

On a personal level Henry is intelligent and perceptive, and prone to give worldly advice in the form of either literary and movie quotes. He spends most of his time playing chess in one of Seattle's many public parks when he can't be found in one of its lesser known and "under-appreciated" diners. Brought together by Agnes thirteen years ago, Henry and Anthony became friends, both looking for a form of superficial companionship and neither one realizing just how close and reliant on one another they've become.

Selema Hanai | 19 (Died in 1985) | Drifter

Despite her age, Selema has taken on a rather motherly role in the Drifter community, due in part to her former life as the oldest of seven children. Another wayward Drifter taken under Agnes' wing, she has a sisterly relationship with Anthony and manages to overlook some of his more unpopular attributes. In turn, Anthony is more receptive to fulfilling her requests than any of the other Drifters in Seattle.

She is sharp, outspoken, and assertive, despite her small stature, and well-liked by most. Selema takes it upon herself to worry about the others, especially the ones who don't seem to have any concerns about themselves.

Last edited:
Agnes Collier | 52 (Died 1977) | Drifter

A former resident of the Seattle Drifter community, she left after her late husband died (three months prior to the start of the story). A surrogate mother of sorts to Anthony (and several others), she was a heavy smoker, a gambler with a love for cheap scotch, and a firmly grounded realist who'd tell it like it is, especially when the cold hard truth was needed. Despite their unfortunately circumstances, Agnes knew how to make the best of it. Growing up during the depression, a wife to a war vet, and a mother of three, she's known hardship, but was strengthened by it instead of beaten.

Of all the Drifters Anthony is loyal to, Agnes is at the top of that list. Her departure from the community unsettled many of the Drifters but especially Anthony, making him more restless than usual though he'd never admit it.

Name: Annetta Bishop
Age at Death: 45
Death Years: 65 (Died 1952)

Known to the public as Donan Bishop's capable wife, Annetta was one of the founding members of The Zookeeper Project's cover in 1958. Being a local of Seattle, she was quickly drawn to Jevaan's basement academy for drifters and studied with him for a few years before stepping up to the plate. Now the Associate Director for The Zookeeper Project, Annetta is well-known in the animal rights community as a capable public figure with a genuine passion for the safety of those animals. Despite the public image of marriage, Annetta and Jevaan relate purely on a business level.

Having found her passion and purpose early in her drifter life, Annetta has retained much of her humanity and, as a result, tends to find Jevaan's total indifference difficult to understand. She has mastered the art of staying in the light and, for many years now, has avoided the change that comes with darkness. She relates well with humans and enjoys their company, though she often finds herself longing for the companionship that she can only find in the company of other drifters. Fortunately, however, her complete absorption in her work tends to act as a distraction, negating her loneliness as long as she keeps busy. Her associates often comment that she works too hard, and in truth, Annetta often leaves the office only long enough to shower and change a couple of times during the day.

Annetta lives near The Zookeeper Project's main headquarters, and her busy schedule makes her a rare face at Jevaan's apartment, often only dropping by to pick him up for a business event of one sort or another. In consequence, she is not well-known to the other residents of the complex.

Last edited:
Cole Woxell | 23 (Died in 1970) | Drifter

A former child of the flower power era, he left England on a student visa and later joined the anti-war movement in the United States where he was one of the four unfortunate students killed during the Kent State Riot of May 4th 1970.

Now a recluse with paranoid personality disorder, Cole is generally mistrusting and withdrawn from others. Whether he was previously suffering from PPD or his experimentation with drugs permanently fractured his spirit during his formative years is unknown. It has been speculated by Drifters that the abuse of drugs and/or alcohol, along with the circumstances surrounding one's death can have a permanent, irreparable impact on one's spirit in the "afterlife". Cole is known for being very particular about his apartment and doesn't generally like he stuff being touched. In recent years, there has been notable signs of the Fading in Cole, but not at a rate that would be any cause for alarm.

Due to his disorder, Cole keeps to himself with only a select few of the Drifters being able to engage him and even less who can claim they are close to him. Despite this, he is still drawn to the Drifter community creating a disparity between his prior life and Drifter self. Remaining out of sight for days at a time is not unusual for Cole, but it very uncommon for him to be completely offline for a significant length of time.

At the start of the story, no one has seen Cole or been able to contact him either via mobile or online for three days. Efforts to reach him at his apartment have also proved unsuccessful causing Selema to seek out Anthony and enlist help in finding Cole.

Lance Bernard | 27 | Human
Created by Kennedy. PM for permission.

The owner of Mother Goddess Homeopathic Shop, Lance is a laid back guy who doesn’t really worry about his business or staff. So long as everyone is happy, he’s happy.

When Skye arrived asking for some work, Lance fell in love with her classic hippie style. Having another like minded friend to add to his inner circle, he embraced her presence with open arms and they have worked close together ever since. He doesn’t recognize drifters, and any time she or anyone has tried to explain the concept to him, he’d just nod along and say “doesn’t matter to me, man. I love you for you, no matter who or what you are.”

Martin North | 25 | Human
Created by Storm Guardian. PM for permission

Martin lives for the thrills of a scary movie. He loves the heart stopping moment of a jumpscare, or the feeling of the heart pounding in a scary scene. Monsters always fascinate him.
His tolerance for scary things is likely what makes him able to see Drifters without instantly being frozen with panic. Martin understands Drifters and the Bedlam from research he did in his free time.
Martin is known to be quiet, not saying anything unless it is absolutely necessary. There is a calm sort of energy about him, and he is known to calm someone down by just having a normal convo with them.
He can be usually found at the local coffee shop, feeding his coffee addiction and eavesdropping in conversations. Or, on a work day, he is likely to be found at home on his computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back