• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Seed of Life: Awakening

Tza'Hal

The orc couldn't seem to get any peace around here. Every time she went to try and meditate, some youngster would come over and try to interrupt her for something -- or so it seemed, given she'd only been interrupted the one time. However, now, there seemed to be a general kerfuffle over by Hal and Wyn. She could hear Charlie somewhere back there, along with Solana's sudden departure. Deciding it was perhaps best to get up and see what the fuss was about, she lifted herself off the ground with the blanket still firmly wrapped around her figure, making her appear even more the saintly figure than she already did. With a gentle sigh, she trudged over, shaking the vestiges of her mental rest. There was time enough for that later.

As she approached, a feeling of dread pooled in her stomach. The others were obviously well pleased with whatever it was that Hal had in his hand -- for indeed, it was something about the size of a small babe, some sort of overgrown stone -- and even Tza'Hal could feel the glow of magic that surrounded it. So it was true. Not only did the World Tree exist -- which she had gathered from the texts she'd poured through in the old Sur capital -- but the Seeds of Life indeed were in this cave, and Hal had found the last one. She seemed the only person aware that they were now entering the most dangerous part of their trek. She glanced up at the opening of the cave, a dark sneer covering her face as she considered what sort of malevolent forces awaited their departure from this cave.

They know.

Yet, if they were not strong enough to take the Seed back to the Tree, perhaps that was only a sign of their true value -- that is, the complete lack thereof. They would have failed the test that lay before them, which would either find them refined like gold in the crucible, or like so much culm from the mines to be discarded. Only through adversity did one grow, and their world had grown complacent. Perhaps that was why the Shadow attacked now, when it knew the fruit was ripe to the point of rotten. This be so, she could not deny the pain done to the magical races as the Sickness pervaded them. A certain child sprang to mind...

They could not fail.

"Guide us or not, we face a problem which I feel we forget in our revelry. They are still up there," Tza'Hal mentioned as she stood near the tree and fire that led to the outside world. "Before we worry about the Tree, we should best consider our exit off this mountain. If we leave all at once, they will know we have the Seed and attack us fully. If we split up, they won't know which group has the Seed, but we run the risk of fighting our own in smaller groups if they possess one of us again."

@Effervescence @Space Cowboy Ein @Dragongal @Elle Joyner @JDParadox @BookWyrm

The Northern Mountains

Hal noticed Charlie reach out towards the Seed of Life curiously. Who wouldn't want to touch it? The moss that grew on top of it was soft and reminded him of when the cavern they stood in was full of life. A chuckle escaped him as he watched Charlie shy away from his impulses and pose a question instead. The Seed was then placed upon Charlie’s lap.

“We guard it,” Hal answered. “Hold onto this for me for a moment.”

Solana posed a more prudent course of action. Given the unfortunate circumstance with the attack on Charlie, it was understandable to be on edge. Hal would have forgotten it all in his mirth had the elf not brought up the looming threat. Thoughtful concern creased his forehead as he looked up at the thick branches of the tree. He knew where to go. He
felt it in his very being. But while there was a sense of urgency, he knew the trek ahead of them. The climb back up the tree will be taxing, and the climb down the mountain would be arduous. And once down the mountain they would be faced with a cold night with weary and aching bones. They all needed to rest, and there was still the matter of meeting up in Lauderdine as promised.

Before he could respond to Solana, the Orc monk spoke up. He couldn't remember her name, but she wasn't easy to forget. There was a disgruntled look about her. Hal wasn't sure if that was just the nature of orcs or if it was just this particular one. But she brought about a valid and important point. There was only one way in or out and it was up that tree through the stony maw. Their situation only became even more problematic, and it didn't help that Hal didn't know fully what they were up against. His gaze looked to Wynleth and Azzara. They were the two who had the most experience against Shadow Magic, at least to his knowledge. They did not look rushed or on edge, and the Maldviri looked to be more or less ready to continue her rest.

Hal grabbed the bag Wynleth had discovered earlier and emptied its contents onto the dirt and brought it over to Charlie and the Seed. He carefully slipped the Seed into the bag and closed it well enough to be able to carry. His arm moved up and down slowly as he tested the weight. It was still fairly heavy, but at least it wouldn't have to be in the way during their climb.

“I think we should get some rest,” Hal finally said. “We take turns watching, but if we go now we could run ourselves into the ground with fatigue. We will see them coming if they try. But if there is to be any fight we need food and rest. And they would be idiots to wait around up there for too long. I say we have the advantage already.”

53rd Day of Spring

Morning came early for Hal. As much as he wanted to get a good night’s rest, Tza’Hal’s words plagued him. He took a portion of the night climbing back up the tree, which was no minor feat. Since the tree was tall and thick he had to climb up a portion of the rocky wall to reach one of the lower hanging branches. While he could make the climb grasping at the small ledges without aid, he was not sure others in the group could manage.

Rope was fashioned from the thick vines snaked around the granite slab. Hal slowly read through the words as he wove the strands together to make them thick and sturdy. It was a memorial to a Dragon Warden named Hale. A huff of a laugh escaped him as he remembered this very monument gave him his name, though back when all the vines covered the words to near incoherence. Hal Midigan named after Dragon Warden Hale. The corner of his lips pressed as he contemplated his name with the E added to the end. It didn't sound Baladuri.

The fashioned vine rope was secured to the lowest branch for later use before Hal continued his climb to the top. The air became colder and far more frigid, the wind carrying through the opening and branches as they thinned. The night was as cloudless as the day had been allowing the stars to twinkle and glisten without restraint. There was nothing but snow and ice and wind at the opening to the Mouth of the Mountain. All around he could see nothing but white and the darkened green valleys below in the moonlight.

And yet upon his return to the fire, he stoked it alive and attempted to settle knowing nothing was out there to get them. The weight of their mission felt heavy upon his soul now that all had been confirmed. Hal woke early and began packing, urging the others to wake as well so that they could travel in the warmth of the sun.

“We still need to head to Lauderdine,” Hal said as he approached Azzara and held out the bag containing the Seed of Life to her.

“You're the best fit to carry this up the tree,” he said to her. “It's a long way up, and it's a heavy little thing. Besides, with your magic it will be well protected.”

Climbing the rope, Hal took point. His own back was now full with the newly acquired items Wynleth had found, the long dragon’s tooth poking out the top of his satchel. Every now and then in the climb it would tap the back of his arm or back as his body swung and reached for the next branch. Climbing back up was more exhausting than the first time he did it, and he felt even more nervous than before as he neared the opening.

The group would be met with nothing as they exited the Mouth of the Mountain. Puffy clouds lifted into the blue morning sky partially masking the higher ranges surrounding them. But as they began their descent down the mountain’s face they were met with an ominous thunder beneath their feet. It caused Hal to loose his footing and slip down the incline a few feet, and before he could regain his footing there was a crack of an explosion so powerful it would send the group down the mountain like discarded ragdolls. Thick clouds of ash plumed from the Mouth of the Mountain as the quaking continued. It was unlike anything Hal had ever seen, and it was terrifying even after the ground went still.

“We have to get out of here,” he said. Was it his survival instincts kicking in? Was this a real threat? The billowing ash carried thickly still into the sky and began to blot out the sun as it slowly curved to the East. They were headed away from the cloud, but down in the valley below rested the home of his family and the village he grew up in, their rooftops poking through the treeline like waves of wood. Hal then became conflicted, torn between their mission to save the world and a personal mission to save the lives of the people down below. It was at this point he relinquished his appointed leadership, for he felt now he was far too compromised. Instead, he looked back to the group imploring a successor in his silence to command their next move. This was possibly his end of the adventure, for his heart was tied to those he loved.

@Elle Joyner @Space Cowboy Ein @Doctor Jax @Dragongal @CloudyBlueDay @JDParadox @BookWyrm

On the Road to Lauderdine

Without much further conversation, the woman of the group stepped towards the pair and crouched next to Inara to observe Trynten’s wounds. Reaching into a pouch along her quiver, she spoke to her cohorts quietly and calmly. She ripped his bloodied shirt away from the gnarled wound and poured water from her skein to wash away the excess.

“Sosa, Larand,” she said to the other three, “ward the area for invisibility. Mouv, report back to camp. Let them know we have company.”

The trio nodded and moved right into their tasks, one running off back the way they came while the other two waved their hands through the air. A faint blue glow undulated from their fingertips like rippling water until it dissipated into transparency. Despite their layers of clothing or methods of concealing their identities, it was clear now they were not human.

“My name is Madras,” she said to Inara through her cowl. Her needle began to sew through the flesh of Trynten’s side, and she hoped he was unconscious. “We hunt Tainted in this area and have been following this family for the past three days. Don't let their human appearance fool you. Their souls were taken from them to leave them only with an empty husk. Even in their human form they were puppets.”

She tied off the end of the sutures and stowed her supplies back in the pouch. Every weapon she carried right down to the arrows glistened with Arcane Magic set within intricate runes. It was far more extensive and complicated than the normal use. Even her armor was lined in the work. She rose and switched places with Larand who scooped Trynten up in his arms with a grunt. They were roughly the same in build, but it was still a strain for the man to carry the weight and place him on one of the horses.

“We will protect you for the night and see your friend wakes and eats,” Larand explained. “Lauderdine is another half a day’s ride and there’s nothing but fields between. It's best not to travel when it gets dark.”

They guided them to their camp half a mile through the woods. At first, nothing was visible until they walked over the threshold. It was like passing through an invisible wall, for even noise was silenced beyond their physical wards hung from the tree trunks surrounding them. Furs were laid upon the ground and Trynten set upon them to rest. Within the security of their wards they removed their cowls and hoods.

Every one of them was Naveri, and every one of them attuned to the Arcane. They were a strange sight so far away from their homes in a kingdom unwelcoming to their kind. They offered them food and privacy. For whatever reason they did not wish to linger around the pair, their eyes occasionally studying the wounded man but saying nothing. Madras gave Inara a set of furs for the night and packed a few provisions for the road.

“Here,” she said as she removed a dagger from her hip. The blade was long and hooked at the end, the steel carrying a complicated design of runes that glowed in a brilliant blue. Madras handed it over to the Sur. “The charge should last you a while. As long as it glows, the enchantment will act like a poison to anyone corrupt with Shadow. It will kill them without a doubt, but be mindful, it affects those with the Sickness as well. All it takes is to draw blood.”

She looks over to Trynten thoughtfully. “We've never seen a human survive an attack,” she said to Inara. “We don't know what affects it will have on him… If at all. Be wary. And don't be afraid to use that blade.”

53rd Day of Spring

The morning was cool and dewy where the campfire’s heat could not reach. Inara and Trynten would find their horses saddled and prepared for their journey ahead, but there were only two Naveri left behind. “Hunting,” Sosa explained simply. Even though they were still behind the wards, he and his comrade wore their hoods and cowls once again.

They helped Trynten upon his horse and pointed them in the right direction for Lauderdine. “Madras wanted me to give you one last thing,” Sosa continued as he produced a glowing blue crystal pendant set within kinetic gears and handed it over to Inara. “It only has one charge, so use it wisely. It will help you if you ever find yourself in a situation that seems impossible to get out of. Just turn the crystal until it clicks back into place.”

Perhaps their superstitions prevented them from speaking to Trynten directly. Perhaps they were suspicious of what he could become and wished only to protect Inara in these trying times. Or perhaps it was because he was a non magic that they showed prejudice against him. Either way, the two elves decked in dark leathers merely nodded to Trynten and wished them both safe travels before leaving them to travel once again on their own to Lauderdine.

@Red Thunder @Rissa

Azzara Omari

Azzara's slumber was interrupted once more by an excited proclamation, one that her exhaustion-addled mind was strained to comprehend. The seed had been found? A surge of excitement was quickly extinguished as her body fought her intentions to move from such a comfortable sitting/sleeping position. The conversation of the others was a soothing background noise to lure her back to sleep. She mumbled a few words in an attempt at communicating her excitement but they came out all at once and in a jumble. The last thing she heard was the concerned tone of Tza'Hal's voice before everything went dark again.

--------------- 10 Years Ago ---------------

The travelers reached her camp in a decent timeframe, all things considered. Tryn stepped away from her and began pacing the perimeter, anxious as a cat in a strange place. He spared a look over his shoulder at her before going back to impromptu guard duty.

"You're sure your camp is still safe?"

Azzara was grateful for Tryn's close attention to her condition, though she certainly was no distressing damsel now. Yes, she did waver, but she did will to catch herself on her 'cane' when it happened. Eventually, they would come across her camp, a shadow of its former self since the attack. Most of her items were strewn about, but she would not have much trouble packing what she would need.

"I would say no. If any curious soul finds that destructive path, it will bring them here. And they might not be as friendly as you." She pointed her cane to him playfully. After a few moments of searching she found her main bag. She rummaged through it until she found what she needed, a spare set of clothes. No could would come from leaving her wounds, even tended as they were, open to the elements. Travelling while covered in blood would also make for a bad first impression in Syth. "So you can lead us to a spot you feel is more safe. I think I've got some more energy left in me..."

In a few moments her torn robes were discarded and replaced with a grey shirt and black pants complimenting her boots. It was a bit of a hassle, considering her wounds, but she made it work. She gathered what she needed and elected to carry her pack on her free arm, not wanting to risk straining her body any more. "By the way..if you don't mind me asking, were you born here in Eversyth? Your accent seems a bit more...eastern."

"What, the lack of pointy ears didn't wasn't clue enough?" The corner of his mouth crept up in a wry smile, and he shook his head. "But no, I'm not from Eversyth. I'm a Thall by birth, though I've since made Eversyth my home.

"Ready? Come, let's be one our way."

Tryn was silent for a while as they trekked on, seeking to put distance between them and potential danger. His eyes were always darting from one side of the path to the other, on edge for danger, hand upon his sword hilt. Too, his eyes would occasionally move to her before hurriedly moving on, as if he were unsure of her and what her companionship actually meant for him. Finally, after a mile or two, he addressed her again.

"And you? You are certainly not from any land I am familiar with that is north or east of Eversyth."

Azzara nodded at Tryn's answer, it made enough sense. Besides, she likely had more explaining to do on her part. It was sad that there were still people within the northern countries that still did not know of Maldvir's existence. And even the ones that did know, just new the name. So it came as no surprise to her that this self-made hunter wouldn't know about her homeland.

"I come from the south, the country of Maldvir. On the other side of Faledrin and across the glassy sea." She smiled. "I'm a novice practitioner of the Inner Light, what you would call magic though it's far from that. I'm a scholar, travelling the northlands to further my knowledge of the world. Eventually I wish to compile my findings into a book to help teach younger generations about these new lands." She was eager to talk about her purpose in the north, as the whole idea of venturing into something new and unknown left her wanting to make her name known.

"So, you're a...historian, in a manner of speaking. A scholar, as you say." He stalked along as they conversed, careful to let neither his step nor his speech raise too loudly in volume. "You must have been trained in the martial arts well, to be confident enough in yourself to journey alone."

Azzara certainly seemed to have improved in her walk; she had at any rate found her rhythm, so Tryn kept pressing on. The farther they could put themselves from the site of death, the safer they'd be. The Tainted's corpse would draw scavengers like flies to honey, and possibly other Tainted. Beyond their own safety, the Naveri would not look too kindly upon them for bringing the Shadow beasts so close to their capital, safety though there would be in the elves' numbers.

"I am surprised that no brother or cousin or yours came with you. For companionship, if not for actual protection."

"I trained for most of my childhood in the ways of our scholars. Most of us who learn to use the Inner Light train in the martial and weapon arts. As things stand, it can be hard to keep the peace with words alone." Azzara was glad that Tryn didn't mind being talkative. The conversation helped keep her mind off of the pain, even as it was lessening as time went on. "It's not unusual for any of us to go out on individual journeys after we've been released from the custody of our teachers. Though not many leave Maldvir, even now."

"Surprised?" She shot a sideways glance to Tryn along with a smirk. "I was born an only child, and my male cousins are far too pampered to step out of their district of our home town. I've survived up here for the last three years, and I wasn't in the lap of luxury when traveling about back home either." She grit her teeth and released a sigh after a few moments. "Either way they'd insist on coddling me and I'll have none of that."

He nodded.

"That I can well believe." A smile, faded and sad, shone from behind the scraggly beard. "You're lucky, you know..."

But he paused, and his mouth pursed in consideration. At first it seemed as though he might continue on with his observation, but his mouth closed and he looked ahead again, devoting his attention to the journey.

Azzara paused at his response. She had expected him to say something but he was oddly quiet and continued to be somber for a good portion of the trip. She would not pry a stranger, even if her natural curiosity urged her to do so. Still, there was something else that nagged at her mind.

"What caused you to come to the woods of Everysth, then? Aside from the occasional attacks, Thallas seems like a good place to reside compared to a forest."

Tryn didn't respond for some time. He remained distant, oddly so, even for their chance companionship. Yet it seemed as though he wanted to say. To finally tell someone. And so, after much consideration, he did.

"'Compared to a forest.' It's funny, you know. I fled from a forest when I came to this one." The trees about them, already quiet in their gentle rustles of breeze caressed leaves, fell utterly silent. The crunch of their feet upon the leaf covered ground cut through it harshly, and the sound was unsettling. He looked over his shoulder at her and spoke in his gravely tone.

"Tell me, Azzara. In your time here, have you ever heard of the Twisted Woods?"

Azzara blinked, not expecting a response. "I heard that they are deeply affected by the taint of Shadow. Not many people venture inside for fear of not coming back. I have yet to see it with my own eyes, though. Why do you ask?" She paused. "You didn't come from there did you?"

"Not 'from', no. But close enough.

"It's not something you should see, Azzara. It's not something anyone should see. As you said, the Shadow infects everything there, and it's only by good fortune that my town survives as it does on the wood's doorstep. I say 'survives'." Tryn's voice fell in volume, and he muttered, as if speaking to himself. "That was a few years ago. Who's to say everyone still lives..."

Azzara blinked. So he was from the Twisted Woods, or at least extremely close to it. She knew of the dangers that surrounded the area but wanted to see for herself. The fact that anyone ever lived so close to the place boggled her mind. "So it's true, people really do still live around there. Why would they stay while knowing the risks? Is there some rare resource to work in the area?"

The young man clicked his tongue, as if considering his words. It was plain that he wasn't used to conversing to this extent, let alone speaking this much about himself. Or perhaps he was merely reluctant to talk about himself. Regardless of the reason, Tryn finished another short silence with a hesitant reply.

"The risks have been a...recent thing. The Twisted Woods didn't always stretch so far east as Malkath. It used to be quite pleasant, from what I heard growing up, the land about it did." He glanced at her, assessing her endurance, before continuing on. "Having a place to call home does strange things to people, Azzara. Especially if the home is an ancestral one. I think, were it to come to it as I think it inevitably will, the people there would rather die defending what's theirs than to leave it rot under the Shadow uncontested."

The breeze shifted, allowing a lull in the leaves' rustle as it changed direction. Tryn cocked his head, listening. As he led his companion, his eyes wandered, both on the path itself and about them, cautious and wary. Suddenly he took a right hand path, choosing a grassier, smaller one over the larger, more worn road they'd been traveling.

"There's a small grotto this way, one I used recently to make camp. We'll spend what's left of the night there. It should keep us, well enough."

The concept of standing by your home no matter what was always something Azzara couldn't understand. Her relatively posh living standards prior to pursuing the teachings of the Inner Light had left her disillusioned with the world the more she traveled outside of the rich districts of her home town. She didn't know why more people simply didn't just pick up and go if their living conditions were steadily declining. At the same time, she found that many simply could not afford it, but would if they could. But to not go in principle and on tradition alone? "Northerners are quite stubborn in that regard. I guess I've traveled for so long that I don't mind moving my stake in the ground every once in a while."

They continued on for a while and Azzara could finally feel her second wind leaving her. As if he could tell, Tryn spoke up about a spot to rest. Without any conversation to distract her, she couldn't help but think about how comfortable her bed roll was going to be. She silently followed him off of the beaten path and into what seemed to be untested land. And yet, Tryn seemed to know them so well. If only she could have a guide like this all of the time. "Very well, I could use the rest anyway. Didn't know how tired I was till I thought about it. Will you need any help setting up for the night?"

Her companion smiled wryly.

"Even if I did, I don't think you could afford much; you look about ready to fall over." He gathered up a pile of leaves as an impromptu cushion and covered it as best as he could with what remained of his cloak. "Here, rest. You need that more than anything. I shall look after the rest."

Tryn took her by the arm and gently but irresistibly guided her down to lay back on the cloak. Apparently satisfied as to her situation, he began stalking through the underbrush, disappearing for brief moments as he retrieved discarded branches and limbs that looked to have once been used to build a shelter. He stacked them in a pile near where Azzara lay. Having found a fair amount, the woodsman began setting up a covering over his companion, formed by leaning limbs against each other in a triangle shape.

Azzara didn't realize that she was tired until Tryn was laying her down onto a pile of leaves and his cloak. In an instant she shed her travelling supplies off to the side and slumped onto her side. Her fatigue had finally caught up to her and it was a tad bit embarrassing and it caused heat to rise to her cheeks.

She watched Tryn work his woodsman magic and before long she had an impromptu roof over her head. She couldn't resist the urge to chuckle softly as he worked. It seemed so much like second nature to him. She could learn a thing or two during their time together if she was going to be continuing on her journey after Syth. After a few moments she realized that she was ogling more than just his work and decided to strike up some conversation. "You're quite the resourceful one." She said with an air of playfulness. "How long have you been living out here?"

Tryn dropped a last log into place. He shrugged, turning away.

"The days run together, after a while, with nothing to delineate one week or month from the next, save for the change in weather." He glanced down and cursed. The end of that last log he'd set upright was rotten, and it wouldn't hold its vertical integrity for very long. It was removed with a grunt and tossed aside, and Tryn glanced about for a suitable replacement. "But if I had to guess, I'd say it's been five or six years now.

"'Resourceful'? I've had to be. Though I can often trade for what I need on the north end of Syth."

Apparently having located a suitable material, the woodsman stepped off. He returned a few moments later with a healthier looking tree limb, and he rammed it into place. Satisfied, he began weaving green vines about the wood to keep them together.

"Resourcefulness is shown in many ways, though. You're quite resourceful yourself, to have been raised a scholar and still survived alone on the road."

It was terrible, watching him work. On one hand Azzara always enjoyed the hands on approach. She wanted to help, to do things, she didn't want to be pampered or cared for. And yet here she was, injured and in the care of this stranger who was working tirelessly, methodically just to build her a little hut for the night. She'd have to find some way to repay him, she just didn't know how yet. Maybe she'd find something in Syth for him, a souvenir as a token of gratitude if she could find him again.

"Six years?" She let out a low whistle and shook her head. She had to look away while he toiled to get a sturdy log for her cover. She only spared a few looks as he wove vines through them to keep it all together. "Well, part of my scholarly training consisted of combat training, for self-defense of myself and others mostly. That and how to use my Light." She shrugged and soon found herself curled up further into her makeshift bed. Golden eyes peered up towards him through the logs. "So, will I be sharing this little nature bed with you? Or do you have a nice tree house reserved for yourself around here?"

"What, scared of being alone? And here I took you for a strong, independent woman who didn't need looking after."

Tryn's eyes shone with laughter and the corner of his mouth pulled up in a wry smile, even as his voice retained its usual somber tone. He shook his head.

"No, I wouldn't think of invading your personal space; that 'nature bed' is only big enough for one." Chuckling, he tightened the vines and secured them. "Don't worry about me. I'll be here when you awaken.

"Have you need of anything else? A feather pillow, perhaps?"

If Azzara could have blushed she would have. What kind of answer was she expecting of a man like him? She shared in his chuckle and sighed, settling down into her bed properly this time. His comment on retrieving her a pillow poked at her funny bone but only evoked a content sigh from her lips. She imagined him going out and plucking some bird to actually make one. Give him some armor, a sword, a shield and a clean shave and he could have been knight by now. "No, I think this pampered scholar can manage. Just don't do anything weird while I'm asleep." She paused for a moment. "Thank you, Tryn. I appreciate you saving my life." And with that she let her fatigue overcome her as her breaths turned into light snores.

After a few moments, Tryn paused from securing the vines. She'd responded in kind to his bit of sarcasm, and had even seemed to find comfort in it, if her repeated sighs were any indication. Even now Assara dozed, secure in his watchfulness. For watchful he'd be; as watchful of a mother wolf over her cubs. Tryn glanced down at her, finally allowing himself to look at her face and at her sleep-secured eyelids. She was...pretty. The memory of girls from Malkath were hazy, so his only real basis for comparison were the she-elves of Eversyth. They were beautiful in their own right, to be sure. The Maker had seemed to give special care and love when creating elvish grace. But Azzara was beautiful in a different way: beautiful mortality, relatable and empathetic. And mysterious in the same way the wind's breath is mysterious.

He caught himself in his introspection. Where the bloody hell had that all come from. Shaking his head to clear the fog, he turned away to find a suitable watching post. But he couldn't help casting a glance over his shoulder one last time, and he smiled at the sight of her contentment.

------------------------------

Azzara woke with a start, her mind racing after experiencing her first true test against a tainted. What really struck her was the man she'd met who saved her life. She thought back to the inn, remembered the man that had elected to go to Lauderdine and made a revelation that caused her head to spin further.

That was him.

The thought permeated within her mind as she went through her usual rounds after waking up, but meditation proved difficult in this pattern when what she currently wanted to do was to return south as fast as possible. How could she let him slip through her fingers like that? She had to see him again, tell him everything about what life had been like since they parted ways in Eversyth.

Her thoughts clouded her awareness of the world around her when Hal's voice brought her back down to Earth. She was to be tasked with carrying the seed. "I understand," she nodded. And that would be all. She was prepared to do what was necessary to return, and she certainly couldn't do it without the seed. It'd be killing two birds with one stone.

What a violent metaphor.

Azzara checked the bag for a brief moment, if only to see it for herself, before she tucked the back away and prepared for the task at hand. Tza'Hal's words slowly filtered back to her as she made the climb towards the mountain's exit. She still couldn't feel the presence of shadow magic, but she'd be on watch until they were on an airship back home. She'd never seen a shadowmage fly at the least.

Things remained safe as they started their descent down the mountain, but it would not stay that way for long. Behind them, the mountain erupted with a thunderous roar and sent the group tumbling down the slope. She did her best to keep a grip on the satchel rather than protect herself, and took a knock to the cheek as she took hold of a tree to steady herself. She tasted blood on her tongue and felt the sting of a wound on her cheek, but the Seed was okay.

Hal's words rung in her head, and she couldn't agree more. She waited a moment, then two for him to direct them forward. His gaze was elsewhere, she followed it to a collection of rooftops jutting out among the trees in the valleys below them. Did he have some connection to the town? Was he thinking of abandoning their journey for them? She stepped forward and grabbed him by the sleeve of his shirt and urged him on after her down the mountain. "They will not stand around and die in the wake of this eruption. We have to go, all of us, now!" As she continued her descent, Azzara was pleading to herself, hoping that this was simply an act of nature. It just felt all too convenient.

Z3twmzI.png

HCM1FoH.jpg

They had the Seed. But their journey, and the danger which came with it, were far from over. Tza'Hal had been the one to point it out, but all of them, undoubtedly were feeling it. The ever pressing scourge of the enemy - encroaching upon them. Present. Near. That evening, against all odds, Wyn slept - though not well. Twice, she woke with a start, her heart pounding in her chest, visions flooding her mind of her friends... her family, brought to ruin by the Shadow. Of the Seed, cracked down the center and broken - an empty, worthless shell. Of the World Tree, aflame... ash and dust.

By first light of morning, which cast a pale hazy grey across the sky, she'd had enough trying and packed up her things, preparing for the journey back down the mountain. Still, despite the horrors in her mind, Wyn felt lighter... the weight upon her shoulders pressing just a little less forcefully. With the Seed in hand, she felt one step closer to honoring her father and Remi, honoring Arun and the others. What Hal had said carried some density, certainly... their sacrifices would never be in vain - but if they could stop the Shadow entirely, well... they would certainly feel less senseless.

Though the sky had brightened, the clouds spreading apart to a brilliant blue, the trek was unnerving, every sounds, every motion setting Wyn's teeth on edge. Danger, however, when it did come, did not present itself as any of them could have predicted. It was the feel of the earth, a shuddering... beneath her feet that gave her pause, but as she opened her mouth to ask if she'd alone felt it, Hal had careened forward and with a small shout, Wyn moved with no avail to try and catch him. He skid several feet down the slope and came to a fortunate stop, but as he righted himself there was a crack, louder than thunder and a plume shot high into the air - Wyn lost her footing, falling, foot over head in an uncoordinated tumble. When she came to rest it was with a groan. Straightening up on her palms, she rubbed her shoulder, frowning anxiously at the sight of the black smoke rising from their former campsite. She'd encountered Shadow magic too many times for her own comfort, but this... this was certainly new.

Hal's warning rung in her ears and rising, heart slamming wildly against her ribs, she started after the Balduri down, down, down... away from whatever nightmare it was they were leaving behind. When Hal paused again, Wyn slid to a stop and as his eyes moved forward, her own looked back to see if there was anything in pursuit. It was Azzara's voice that shattered the sudden silence and looking back, she glanced to Hal, a brow quirked at the sight of discomfort in his eyes. She thought, however, as she tracked his gaze, that she understood his sudden hesitation. The village. Of course. Whatever it was... whatever they might have awoken in the Mouth of the Mountain - it would spell nothing good for the valley below if it were to follow...

"No... wait! We..." Shaking her head, she looked back again, the beast of indecision gnawing at her thoughts. They had to keep moving, they had to get the Seed to the World Tree and complete their mission... but at what cost? Certainly if they were anywhere near Emalnahar, she'd do everything possible to protect her kin. Why shouldn't she do the same for someone elses? "We should find a way to bypass the village. We can't risk bringing whatever that is back there down to those people below."

@Effervescent, @Space Cowboy Ein

march-of-the-pigs.regular.png

tumblr_nctnrkaynG1tsdp86o1_500.jpg

"We guard it,” Hal answered. “Hold onto this for me for a moment.”

"What? N-no, I shouldn't--" Charlie silenced himself, as it was much too late. The Seed of Life was already thrust into his lap, and Charlie stared at it, mouth agape. It was warm, pulsing. For a few moments, the world stopped for Charlie as he gazed upon The Seed of Life. The very thing that would save all of humanity. Right in his lap. Right there. This couldn't be happening. He was going to burn it! Or break it, or ruin it or destroy it! But yet, Charlie held it with the gentleness like one would hold a small child, up until Hal slid it into a bag and safely closed it. Charlie blinked, snapping himself out of his trance, and let out a small, breathy laugh. He knew he'd never forget it.

Just like that it was over, and Hal announced that they all needed more rest. They dispersed once more, and Charlie reclaimed his seat by the fire, trying to understand why the warmth coming from the flames did not feel the same as the warmth coming from the Seed. Fire wasn't friendly. It was warm and inviting, but it wasn't gentle and nurturing. And when it took hold of you it didn't love you, it burned you.

Throughout the night Charlie woke many times, so many nightmares bleeding into another he eventually gave up on trying to tell them apart, much less remember them if he could help it. His body was so exhausted that each time he awoke, it didn't take long for him to fall back asleep, and endure it all over again. By the time morning rolled around, Charlie had only managed a few hours of sleep, and while some energy had been regained, he was left shaken by the many horrible images his mind had created.

The pain in his chest had dimmed, and he could ignore it if he did not move abruptly, but Charlie still felt achy, in both mind and body. It felt strange to wake up in a new place, when he he had never left his home of Eversyth. But eventually he overcame the morning grogginess and was soon ready to leave the Mouth of the Mountain, after saying his farewells to the monument of Hale, which he had found an odd comfort in. He thanked the Dragon Warden courteously and left the chess piece he had finished just the night before atop it like a bouquet of flowers
. It's wasn't his best, but Charlie considered it to be something Hale could remember him by. He should've carved a dragon. He knew that, but there was nothing he could about itdo now.

The climb back up the mountain was hard. Charlie hated the fact that he could've done this with ease just days ago; because he was strong, and he was capable. All his life he had been complimented on his confident build. He wasn't.. this. He wasn't
supposed to be this. His own self-doubts and loathing came to a halt when the earth first shook. Charlie had managed to stay upright only to watch Hal slide down a few feet, Wyn reaching for him but to no avail. Panic began to settle in on him, but before he could think of doing anything, the earth shook once more and Charlie found himself tumbling down.

How lucky he was not to be impaled on his own axe as he and the rest of the group were flung down the mountain like dolls. By the time Charlie had finally come to his senses, he felt as if he were about to throw up. His chest was now burning again, reminding him that such an event was definetly not good for his recovery, as well as the numerous bleeding scrapes that now covered his exposed skin, one thorn even having cut through his shirt, leaving a wound, however not very deep, on his chest. Charlie would've laughed at the irony of it if his head wasn't spinning so awfully, and instead, let out a groan.

The others were quick to recover, to gasp at the smog that quickly blocked at the sun. They were already standing back up and rushing down the edge of the mountain, something Charlie didn't feel quite ready to do, but he had no choice. Swallowing the vile that rose in his throat, he grabbed onto the shoulder of Wyn to steady himself as she was the closest, and she had been kind enough as to help him walk when the shade afflicted him.
"We should find a way to bypass the village. We can't risk bringing whatever that is back there down to those people below." "I don't understand." Charlie wheezed, rubbing his eyes of dust. "What could've done this?" He would've gone on, to question how they'd awoken it, how ever would it follow, and what the heck was it, but there was clearly no time for that, no time to dawdle.

I N F O

Last edited by a moderator:

Trynten Lothorsen

hqdefault.jpg

He had remained silent. He'd received a similar of less intense form of veiled prejudice in Eversyth whenever he might trade for supplies or have other reason to interact with the native elves, but it never got easier. But this distancing, this bias, seemed more personal, more directed specifically at him rather than merely at his being Thall. It left him distinctly uncomfortable, and he remained quiet for the duration of his and Inara's stay with their rescuers.

Even as they set him upon a horse, gave parting words to Inara, and nodded to him, Tryn retained his words, staring ahead vaguely along the path, seemingly little concerned what might become of him. The Navari had well-stocked their supplies, he was certain, and his sword had been rescued with them.

A frown upon his face, the woodsman ignored the departing Navari, concerned with whatever internal dialogue might be cascading through his mind at the time. Even the slow walk of the mare upon which he sat did little to shake him from it, save to elicit a huff.

@Rissa @Effervescent

Solana Petyra

After the excitement of having found the Seed, going back to sleep was a bit difficult for the elf. There were so many questions and too few answers. She was luckier than some of the group, though, as she was not plagued my nightmares. That didn't mean that she wasn't tired when she woke up, but she wasn't going to complain, especially since climbing the tree easier for her than most of their group. Climbing things was what she had done her whole life... at least there was some consistency to the world. The sky bid a beautiful day as well, which lifted the young elf's spirits.

Solana had been toward the back of the group when the ground shook the first time. While she had managed to stay on her feet, she'd definitely felt it. The next shake sent her flying like the rest, though. The clean, sparkling snow did little to soften the fall, or the slide. As she slid, one of her daggers fell out of its sheath. Luckily it didn't cut her, but one she had stopped moving, she had to climb back up a few yards to get the beloved blade. By the time she had returned to the group,the smoke had begun billowing from the mountain. There were a few scrapes on her hands and a small gash on her shoulder.

Her attention turned to Azzara as she spoke to Hal. Only then had it become apparent that Hal was distracted by the village. It only took a few seconds for her to realize that that had to have been his home. That was why he had been the leader, because he knew this area... because it was his home. If he left with them, he might lose his home. But if he went there, the fate of the world was left hanging in the balance with one less person to help. Yet she couldn't hold it against him... if it had been her parents in that village, she wasn't sure that she wouldn't have already run off. But her parents were dead, and had been for years, so that put things in a broader perspective.

Solana looked over at Charlie and slowly said, "I don't think that's shadow magic...." Was this one of those fire-mountains she had read about? She had thought that those only existed in far-off places, not here.... "However, I would still advise that we move away very quickly." She got to her feet and walked over to Charlie and Wyn just to get a better glance at Charlie's wounds. There was nothing that needed immediate attention, luckily....

The Northern Mountains

Hal could still feel the tremors rumbling the earth at his feet, or perhaps it was his own fear that shook his body. Azzara called out a command, her voice smooth and calm in the growling from the Mouth of the Mountain. He couldn't know his people knew what to do. The sun was now partially masked by the thick plume of smoke that carried overhead. And then it began to snow.

Only, it wasn't snow. Chunks of filmy grey fluttered more heavily to the earth and stacked upon the grass and clung to the springtime canopies of the trees. It began to collect in his hair and on his shoulders as he turned to look at the Maldviri. The woman was obviously experienced in some manner when it came to tense and pressing situations. Her head seemed to be clear and of sound judgement towards a greater good. And as much as he tried to reflect that in his own way, his mind couldn't let go of his bias concerns. And for what felt like ages he stood still in his internal conflict.

“I can’t just leave them,” he finally said in return. “I could never live with myself knowing I did nothing.”

His eyes looked over to Solana, Charlie, and Wynleth. They were caring individuals just like him with a good heart. But he hoped they had their minds more in line with Azzara than he. Whatever was happening above them due to the phenomenon from the mountain, standing around in it definitely sent his instincts on fire. This was bad, whatever it was.

There came another thunderous explosion as fire spewed in a bright orange glow. Streaks of flames rocketed out of the Mouth of the Mountain like falling stars. They were not so majestic, and their collision with the valley below caused an explosive impact. Hal instinctively ducked for a moment, and then quickly snapped out of his stupor.

“Take the Seed to Lauderdine,” Hal said to Azzara, and then looked to the rest of the group. “Lauderdine is West and South; just past the Mouth of the Mountain that way. You can follow the valley on the other side and hike over the two mountains that follow after. It'll be a day and a half til you reach the foothills, and then Lauderdine is just hours past that. I'll meet you there, but channel magic into the Seed and it will show you the way and you won't have to wait on me.”

He began to run, but halted in his steps to utter his farewell. “It's been a pleasure! If we don't meet again, good luck!”

Without another word he ran down the mountain slope as fast as his feet could carry.

no slide
no slide

@Elle Joyner @Space Cowboy Ein @Doctor Jax @Dragongal @CloudyBlueDay @JDParadox @BookWyrm

On the Road to Lauderdine

Lauderdine wasn't far now. The sun rose high into the partly cloudy sky to bring about another beautiful day in Thallas. The road cleared from the wooded seclusion back out into grassy plains and growing crops. It was a warmer Spring day, though thankfully not stifling. There was even a cool breeze that flowed through the open terrain in gentle waves. Inara and Trynten could possibly find relief in the now uneventful travel, especially now that they could see for miles around them.

Lauderdine came into view, as did the darkened forest of the Twisted Woods nestled behind the rather large settlement. It ran like a line of black against the beautiful backdrop of the distant Northern Mountains. The village was fortified and guarded by Thall soldiers posted officially around the wooden walls. A guardsman on horseback rode to meet the two, his back mounted banner of Thallas fluttering behind him like a wing. Their armor wasn't as shiny as the ones worn in Rosenfall. As the soldier drew closer, signs of wear and weathering weren't just prominent on his armor alone.

The soldier looked like he had seen things in recent times, his gaze, while stoic and official, still carried a distance to it. Under his helmet was a prominent scar running from his left temple and down to his lower cheek deeply. It was still in its final stages of healing as the skin was still red and scabbed. His bright blue eyes scanned over the pair, his brow furrowing as he noted the elf.

“State your business in Lauderdine,” the soldier commanded as his eyes flecked over to meet Trynten’s.

@Red Thunder @Rissa

Z3twmzI.png

HCM1FoH.jpg

She was no fighter. That much she knew in her heart. She'd signed on to the mission out of sheer respect for her brother and father, and perhaps a bit of pride for her land and her people, but she had no real delusions that she was going to be much good to anyone, beyond possibly a bit of motivation (though as of late her own optimism had been waning). What she was, however, was a determined. But there was only so much determination a person could draw from for the circumstances they found themselves facing. And whatever was happening on that mountain, Wynleth was certain it wasn't something anyone could battle against. It was almost as if the mountain itself was warring against them, and all they could do, all they could consider was getting away as swiftly as possible. They had the Seed... they had the location of where to bring it - they needed to keep moving...

Why then Hal's words, as he instructed them to go, as he bid them goodbye, should freeze her in place she wasn't sure, but watching the man as he turned and ran off, all she could think was he was right. No matter the importance of their quest, no matter the need for victory over the shadow, they couldn't overlook the lives of so many people. People who, for all she could guess, meant the world to one Balduri man. He was on his own, and without help there was a good chance he and the rest of the village below would perish. If it were her home...

Looking to the others, Wyn shook her head, "He can't go on his own. He'll never make it. I'm going to help... Whatever you do, you must keep the Seed safe. Guard it with your lives... Swift feet, dear ones... and keep out of the shadows." Turning, without another word, without a thought as to whether she was making the right decision. It was the only decision, as far as she was concerned.

Tracing his steps, she caught up to Hal in seconds and slowing to match his pace, she looked over at him with a small frown, "I'm coming with you..." She murmured, her tone leaving no room for argument, "I'm terribly useless in a fight... Really, I've got practically nothing worth while about me, but you can't go alone and those people will die if they're not evacuated. Two will work faster than one... Saving the world won't mean quite as much if I know I didn't do everything I could to make sure the people left in it are good, decent people..."

@Effervescent

After the feeling of nausea had passed, his mind traveled to the seed as he turned his gaze over to Azzara, who was still holding the bag tightly. Charlie scolded himself for not thinking of it first, but was glad to see that it, and everyone else, seemed to be alright.

Solana offered her own opinion, mentioning she did not think it was shadow magic. Charlie couldn't really tell, but smoke like that didn't quite feel like shadow magic to him either. However, when she stepped up to Charlie to glance at his cuts, the half elf swatted her away in the most gentle way possible.
"No, no. I'm fine," He insisted. "It's just some tiny cuts. I was a little dizzy is all." Was everyone going to be like this towards him now? Coddling him at every little bruise? That wasn't what he wanted. He was here to finally get away from that.

The earth still rumbled beneath them, and he glanced at his shoes as if he could possibly see the source on the ground. Then the snow started to fall, except it wasn't snow. Charlie coughed, moving his hands through his hair to dry and brush it away. He glanced at Hal, watching the man's gaze keep on going back to the village.
“I can’t just leave them,” he finally said in return. “I could never live with myself knowing I did nothing.”

Fire burst from the Mouth of the Mountain, like shooting stars. Charlie gaped at them in awe and in horror, realization dawning on him. No, this wasn't shadow magic. Not even close. And truthfully, this was showing to scare him a little bit more than a shadow mage. A shadow mage he could fight. A volcano he could not.
“Take the Seed to Lauderdine,” "Hal, no." Charlie mumbled. It wasn't that he wanted the people in the village to die, but he didn't want Hal to die either. “Lauderdine is West and South; just past the Mouth of the Mountain that way." "Hal." Charlie said again, voice becoming increasingly louder and whinier. "Aw, no.." Charlie mumbled, covering his eyes with his hand. He knew there was no changing Hal's mind. What if it had been the home? Nothing would change his mind either.

Charlie's shoulders sagged miserably as Hal rushed down the hill. His heart was pounding, his chest was burning -- it would be best if he just stuck with travelling with the Seed, right? That was what he came here to do.
You're being cowardly, Charlie. A voice snapped at the back of his mind. Cowardly? Cowardly! That was the one thing Charlie refused to be! Absolutely not. Wyn shook her head, announcing she too would go after him. Charlie glanced at the group, then at Wyn disappearing down the hill. Then back at the group again, then back at Wyn down the hill. He let out a sigh, and pointed at the group. "Please don't die, alright?" He said, tone almost scolding, but quite meaningful. "I should probably tell myself the same thing too." He muttered. Then Charlie began to rush down the hill in the same direction Hal and Wyn had gone.

"Wait up!" He called to the two heading towards the village. Once he had skidded to a halt next to the Baladuri and the Elf, Charlie cleared his throat. "So, uh. How might we be going about this?" He said, surveying the village, gulping as a beat of sweat dripped down his forehead. Charlie wasn't entirely sure how to evacuate an entire village, as he'd never quite done it before.. but how hard could it possibly be, right?

I N F O

The Northern Mountains

WITH

@Elle Joyner @Effervescent

Inara Belanor

The sun’s warmth felt good on her skin and Inara barely fought against the drowse seeping its way into her bones. She thought about her dreams and how they stole away precious time asleep. She longed for the too-warm furs the Naveri had lent her, and a few more hours rest… but times were dire and there was no rest for the weary. Inara glanced at her riding companion, too tired to figure out how he kept riding with all those injuries. Vaguely, with eyes half-closed against the sun, she wondered if Tryn had had nightmares too. He was a human of very little words though, so Inara didn’t break the silence to ask. Just thinking about her strange nightmare gave her chills, even in the balmy Spring air. So she tried not to… but Shae Pippa’s voice still lingered and the weight of Morag’s dagger was a comforting one.

Her chin fell forward and she jerked slightly in the saddle, breath caught in her throat. Inara looked around wildly, snapping out of her daze. Relief soared through her as she gathered her bearings and caught sight of Lauderdine, but the Darkness came hand in hand with their destination, and the relief flooded away. The Twisted Woods settled itself over the landscape beyond Lauderdine like a snug foothill blanket. The beautiful mountainous view was marred by the Shadow Magic and Inara suddenly felt sick to her stomach. Her mind wandered to the rest of the group Shae Pippa summoned, the ones in search of the Seed of Life. Had they found it? Had they been attacked by Tainted as well? By Shadow Casters themselves?

As they rode onward, the village fortifications became clear, as well as the guards posted sentry. Inara slowed her mare ever so slightly as a mounted soldier came to meet them. The Thallas flag riding the wind was an uncomfortable sight, especially after the hospitality of the Naveri. Inara glanced at Tryn with worry in her eyes. Maybe it had to do with the Tainted attack or maybe she was just afraid.

“I guess I’ll leave the talking to the Thalls, huh?” Inara asked with a fake laugh.

When the soldier rode up, it didn’t take Inara long to notice that the landscape wasn’t the only thing marred. The skin on the soldier’s face looked angry and red along the scar. It went from his temple all the way down to his lower cheek, and from the look of it, still scabbed in certain places. The soldier spared her a furrowed brow glance and then turned to speak to Trynten.

State your business in Lauderdine.” The soldier demanded.

Theresia Ashenbury, Inara thought to herself and then she too glanced at Tryn.

@Red Thunder @Effervescent

Trynten Lothorsen

Aragorn-1.jpg

It was...strange, that Inara still stayed with him. His brow furrowed as he considered all she had just experienced, as well as the rather ill-concealed distrust their rescuer elves had shown him. It was possible of course that she'd yet to piece it together, though maybe he she-elf was bidding her time. Yet there she rode beside him, trusting him enough to fall asleep upon her horse's back. Tryn smiled in spite of himself; it was good, relieving in fact, to be in trustworthy companionship again.

But of course Lauderdine would have a guard. Vaguely he wondered if Malkath had adopted similar defenses against the Twisted Woods, or even if there were enough people within its walls to warrant it. Nodding tiredly at Inara's prompting, Tryn brought his steed to a halt. It only made sense that he should address the soldier. A panic trembled in the back of his mind, terrified of the man who rode to meet them, but he squashed it down. He might have tried to be vague or indirect with his answer, but their dealings with the bandits had shown quite definitely that the woodsman did not have the gift of gab. So he went with the truth, albeit an incomplete report of it.

"My friend and I come to see Theresia Ashenbury."

Tryn almost opened his mouth to elaborate, but held his peace. Better to not suggest lines of inquisition for this soldier to follow.

@Effervescent @Rissa

Tza'Hal

She was just as astonished as the rest when the earth began a deep rumble beneath their soles. She tensed, though she remained still, her stance locked as she listened to the earth swaying. If she was honest, it was almost... awesome, in that breath-taking way. The trees shuddered, the snow buckled beneath their feet, and it seemed the whole land was at unrest. Tza'Hal turned back to look at the Mouth of the Mountain, wondering if this might be some heinous black magic, when there was a sudden conflagration and commotion at the mountain's top.

Suddenly, it all made sense to her. She glanced at the others and saw their confusion, though Solana seemed to recognize this event for what it was, despite an obvious look of perplexity. Tza'Hal herself had read about these events in her own studies, especially while reading about the lands by the coast nearest Maldvir. Yet, it seemed uncanny that a disturbance of such magnitude could occur at this moment as they fled with the civilized world's hope in the satchel of their best defended member. She recalled that these earth tantrums as they were also included other odd things such as smoke and fire and --

She cursed under her breath as she fell to her knees, rocked by the explosion caused by the build-up within the earth. The orc looked over her shoulder and her eyes widened as she saw Hal glance down. You fool. Don't--

Too late. He passed off the Seed, and off through the brush he went, Charlie with him, Wynleth not far behind. Azzara now had possession of their prized possession, and she knew that whosoever remained also must be torn by the choice to stay or leave after them. She had not heard the reason for their departure, but she guessed at it, given the plumes of smoke towards the bottom of the mountain. There must be a settlement below.

Tza'Hal scoffed. If the village had any sense, they would have all left by now, and those who'd stayed were too stupid to be much help in anything else besides. Those too weak to move would not have been useful, and those too old had lived out good, long lives. And the three others had gone down, the young and the reckless. Well, they had a world to deal with here, and Tza'Hal did not come all this way to freeze off her toes, watch a couple of young ones get rolled, and lose the only hope the untainted world had left.

"Follow Azzara down! The others will make do and we shall meet them in time! Put a cloth about your faces -- the smoke is poison if breathed too deeply!" Tza'Hal said, forging her way forward with the blanket she'd filched held over her arm, nose in the crook of her elbow. She coughed several times as the penetrating dust made its way into her chest. She must look half a sight -- an old, scarred monk with a wool blanket about her shoulders and head, tramping through the snow to get away from the barreling clouds of ash at their backs. Their time was running short, and it wouldn't be long before something caught up with them -- ash or mage.

Solana Petyra

Solana looked up as the strange snow began flitting about. The sky was clear past the black smoke...? Then it struck her that it wasn't snow at all. It was soot. The mountain's fire was so big and hot that it made soot fall like snow.... That was definitely not something to get caught in, to say the least. Of course this was very unexpected to the young elf, but not as unexpected as what came next.

For some reason, Hal hesitated, and then ran off toward some village, and then Wynleth and Charlie did too. Why? They had more people to save than a single village.... Solana was stuck in place, having in front of her a choice: follow them and hopefully save some people from a fiery death, or help protect Azzara and the Seed of Life which would save everyone. When one looked at it that way it was easy, so why was Solana still frozen in place? In her mind all she could do was imagine if her parents and brother were down there. She would want somebody to save them. She would
want to save them. But... her parents were dead, because of the Sickness, because the Seed needed to be planted.

Finally she was able to tear herself from staring after the three who departed, but it was only because of Tza'Hal's words. The orc had the obvious answer, and the advice for the smoke as well. Solana pulled up her shirt over her mouth and silently followed behind the orc. With her dual daggers and healing skills, not to mention magic, it made sense that she help guard the Seed, but her heart still ached to go the other way. But yet again, logic overruled emotion for the young elf, who was starting to really wonder if maybe she was too young for this mission.

The Valley

He didn't expect anyone to follow after him. The Mouth of the Mountain roared behind him spewing smoke and fire in the air like the fabled fire dragons. Both Wynleth and Charlie rushed down the mountain at his side, and Hal was grateful for their company. They were deviating from their course set on a separate and unrelated mission from saving the world. To Hal, this was his world; his everything. And he felt he wasn't needed anymore to take the Seed of Life to its final destination.

“There are about thirty people down there,” he called out to the two. “I don't know why, but something tells me they need to get to higher ground and away from the smoke. See that mountain there?” Hal pointed to the taller mountain to his right. It could barely be seen through the trees, but it was there and it was taller than the one they were currently running down. “There's a keep built on the other side. I'm going to lead them there.”

By the time they reached the cradle of the valley, the first home they encountered was already in the process of packing their things. Ash collected in the grass and mud as the family scurried towards the path that lead to the road. Hal directed them, telling them to head to the road that lead to Keep Brandau. He then turned to Wynleth and Charlie with focused determination.

“Did you catch the instructions I gave?” he asked them. “Remember them. I need for you both to split up and head down those two paths leading westward. They will lead you to two other homes. I need for you to give them those instructions. They'll know what to do. Follow them down the road and protect them. I'll meet up with you once everyone is headed towards the keep, alright?”

Currently
Wynleth and Charlie are tasked with splitting up to warn and evacuate two homes. This village is not a cluster, so each home is divided by small farmland and thick woods. You are free to write any conflict along the way to show how your character may react. Whatever the family you choose to write, keep in mind they have likely never seen magic or elves or half elves before.

@Elle Joyner @CloudyBlueDay

Through the Northern Mountains

Red began to bubble and spurt from the Mouth of the Mountain in a striking vibrant hue. Steam rose as snow and ice began to rapidly melt from the sudden change in temperature. Streams of thick crimson oozed from the mountain’s maw in a strange glow as it traveled down the mountain slope. Those with the Seed of Life would do well to avoid them.

The heat would become stifling the longer they remained close to the opening they escaped from. Traveling down the mountain towards the aforementioned valley would need to be met with haste. While they were not trekking among where the smoke was rising and the ash fell, the mountain still relinquished molten rocks through the air in all directions. There were some that exploded violently before it could crash into the earth below. Journeying far from this danger would take some time, and even with distance the rumbling of the earth could be felt at their feet.

Within half an hour they would reach the valley to begin the next step in their arduous journey. It was narrow, spanning only a quarter of a mile across that snaked Southwest for miles. Vegetation was thick and green with Springtime vigor untouched by the marring ash they had left behind. The birds, however, did not sing, nor did the creatures that roamed come out into the open. What was still transpiring back at the Mouth of the Mountain was enough to cause the surrounding wildlife to either flee or hide in fear.

Another hour passed, and the plume of ash was now no longer visible as the valley took them around a bend. There was a well trodden path leading through to guide them in the right direction. The path was only just wide enough for a narrow cart as the foliage tended to cling rather closely together in areas. But it was a road so traveled that even a stone bridge was built across a greater stream. The further they traveled, the more beautiful Baladur appeared as they traveled closer to Thallas lands.

The trio would be halted at the sight before them. Crossing the road were close to a hundred Baladuri natives shackled and trudging towards the nearest mountain slope. A man on horseback, clad in furs and dawned with a braided frock, trotted up to the three with a curious gaze. At his hip was a bull whip coiled loosely, and upon his back were two traditional looking axes. The man’s partner eyed the group suspiciously before lightly kicking his horse forward to herd the slaves.

"An Orc, an elf, and a Maldviri,” he said with a chuckle. “Now this looks to be the start of a grand joke. What brings you three to the Bitter Lands?”

@Space Cowboy Ein @Doctor Jax @Dragongal

Lauderdine

The grizzled guardsman pursed his lips as Trynten uttered
her name. Instead of complaining, which he wanted to do, he gave the two a curt nod, his eyes flecking over to fall on Inara once more. He turned his horse about to face back towards Lauderdine.

“Follow me,” he commanded as he nudged the flanks of his steed. The horse carried forward at a trot, the guardsman never looking behind to see if the two followed. He reached the wooden gates and brought his horse to a halt. The wall was made from thick trunks jutting two stories upward. There were towers set at even intervals around the perimeter with guardsmen on the watch in constant survey of the land surrounding them. The Twisted Woods carried an ominous, ever present darkness in the distance, and from within came a distant howl that echoed into Lauderdine.

“Damn Tainted,” the horseback guardsman grunted. He backed his horse out of the way and signaled to the two guards in the nearest towers to open the gates. And while the wooden gate was pushed open, the guardsman looked back over to Trynten and Inara.

“My advice? Don't stay here long,” he said. “Curfew is at seven bells before sundown. The local inn should have some rooms available. Do not, under any circumstances, leave your room after curfew until eight bells after dawn. You are to check in with whomever you are staying with each night and again each morning. This is mandatory. State your names and you can be on your way.”

Lauderdine was a rather large town set with cobblestone streets and quaint homes and businesses that lined the roads. Were it not for the apparent devastation to the architecture, Lauderdine would be a nice little town. But with the state of things and the encroaching Twisted Woods, this settlement was riddled with partially burned buildings, facades streaked with claw marks, and Windows boarded with wooden planks.

“You can find Theresia in the Square,” the guardsman informed after they gave their names. “She’s the only one in a vardo.”

@Red Thunder @Rissa

Z3twmzI.png

d93a9ac057b2b1b229283b349d3cd520.jpg

She wasn't a hero. She wasn't. Everything she'd done - all of the decisions she had made, she'd made in haste, she'd made because she was little more than an emotional creature, bent on avenging her brother and father. On proving to her mother that it wasn't a waste of time... that she wasn't a waste of space. And try as she might, she'd made quite a mess of that as well. But this was the first decision she had made that she was certain was the right one. The people in that village... she could help them, and she would. Nothing else mattered right now but ensuring that happened, even if it wouldn't bring her family justice, because it was the right thing to do.

And maybe there were only three of them... and not a lot of time, but surely there had been worse odds for survival. And if not, well... odds had been defied before, countless times.

In the valley, she slowed and looking back, frowned up at the mountain, up at the sky, darkening with ash. When her gaze returned, she fixed it on Charlie and Hal with an uncertain expression. She'd known them but a few days, yet here she was, risking everything again, for strangers... And the worst thought in her mind was that once more, she could lose everything. Moving swiftly, she enveloped them both in a tight embrace, Charlie first, than Hal and as she pulled away she met the Balduri's eyes, then looked to the younger man beside him, "...You come back. Both of you. Please..."

Without another word, terrified she might fall to pieces entirely, she turned and started off in the direction that Hal had pointed them, take the furthest of the two paths, and into the thicket of trees. She sped light-footed across the forest floor, thickly matted with roots and dead leaves, and in her mind she repeated the instructions Hal had given, using those words to center her focus. Soot fell in less quantity through the overhead canopy, but a thick blanket had already begun to coat the earth and as she ran, it stirred, and her throat began to itch, her eyes burn, her lungs ache. By the time the forest opened up into a tapestry of farmland, a hacking, persistent cough had begun.

Heart pounding she searched through watery vision, searched desperately for the home. Out in the open, ash fell like snow, and pulling her hood up, her cloak over her mouth she squinted, until at last she spotted the peaked roof, the chimney found sticking up against the blackened sky. Racing forward, her breath coming in heaving gasps, she came to the door and pounding against it, found herself face to face with a burly sort of creature, his face swathed in fabric, dark eyes boring down at her in a mingled expression of confusion and annoyance. Tugging the fabric from the lower half of his face, he grunted.

"The fresh hell do you think you're doin', girl? Come in! Quickly!" Shaking her head, opening her mouth to speak she found her tongue thick and heavy, her throat clogged.

"Martha! A drink!" The man called and a moment later a cup was thrust into her hand, lifted to her lips, a vinegar-like liquid poured down her throat. She cringed, fought a wave of nausea, cleared her throat.

"Please! There isn't much time! I was sent by a man named Hal Midigan! I need to take you to--"

"Look out!" The scream came from deeper within the home and as Wyn turned over her shoulder, she felt two arms grasp her around the waist, heaving her back off her feet. She and the burly bear of a man toppled and she struck the wood floor hard on her shoulder. Where her feet had been a moment ago, was a massive, smouldering rock, roughly the size of the Seed that she and Hal had discovered... a rock which would have struck her dead instantly. Heart pounding, she rolled upright and the man straightened as well.

"Keep Brandau..." She groaned, rubbing her shoulder, "We need to go to--"

"Got it." The man grunted, and turned round to the others in the room. She counted several of them, nearly a dozen, staring at her, wide-eyed, the youngest a boy who couldn't have been older than eight or nine with tear tracks down his round, rosy cheeks. People that would have been... still could be dead, had they gone on with the Seed.

"We have to move!" She repeated, with a little more vigor, "Now!"

As her voice rose, a second rock, larger than the first struck against the side of the house. Screams rose, and Wyn moved, swiftly, grabbing the boy's hand, "Quickly!" Tearing out the door, she looked over to the bear-man, "Which way!"

"There... the path starts that w--" With a crash, a third rock struck the house and without looking before her, Wyn knew the damage was great. "The path is that way! Through the trees..."

Turning in the direction he'd pointed, Wyn ran, the others trailing close behind. Her chest felt heavy, weighed by fear, by soot and her shoulder ached terribly. A feeling exacerbated when rather suddenly she was wrenched to a stop. Spinning round, she looked to find a woman clutching the boy, her eyes dark, wide and scared, "I know what you are..." She hissed up at Wyn, "I'll take him!"

The words stung, but there was no time to reflect on them. Releasing the boy's hand, she returned to the path and without a word, continued on towards the treeline. All around, more debris came crashing down, varying sizes, crushing and hot, small and sharp as arrowheads... cutting through the ashen cloud, through the canopy. Like pelting hail it fell, faster and faster, slamming into the ground, into the trees.

Close by, an enormous, flaming boulder smashed hard through several trunks. With a splintering crack, one of the trees collapsed, the rock still embedded in the dried flesh... for a second, maybe two, it smouldered, then with a blistering flare, the bark caught fire. Through the flames she could see him, crouched low, crying hysterically at the woman lying broken beside him. The little boy, .. A second crack and another tree came lumbering towards him.

Without a thought, without a word, Wyn moved. There was no consideration for herself, no concern... only action. Bolting forward, she leapt high over the flaming trunk and skidding, hitting the ground she caught hold of the child, rolling over once, twice. The second tree struck the ground, and a third crack resounded. With the child crushed to her chest, she raised her free hand and eyes squeezed shut, she felt the surge, the tingling rise up her arm, burst from the tips of her finger. The third tree toppled, and as it struck the thick, frozen shield Wyn felt the agonizing snap in her wrist, felt wood and chunks of ice rain down on her.

A few seconds passed and she opened her eyes to find the bear of a man standing over her. Reaching down, he pulled the child from her arms, then reached for her, pulling her to her feet, pulling her against his broad chest, "...Thank you." Was all he said, and when he released her, he grabbed the boy, plucked him up and cradled him close. Without a word, their path was resumed, but in her heart she could feel the cracks opening again... A mother lost, so quickly, and not a moment spared to grieve. Her eyes burned again, but with tears this time, and she concentrated on her steps, on their escape to avoid thinking of anything else. Her cheek ran warm, and from her brow as well, her knee sore and swollen, and her wrist flopped uselessly at her side, but these were minor aggravations in light of the firestorm of rocks, hailing down around them.

Finally, they broke through the trees and overhead, the ash cloud seemed to dissipate, the white haze of overcast bringing with it a dampening rain. In the sudden quiet, she could hear the soft sobs of the youth. They were almost there, but she knew that for the child, nothing would be the same. That for that child, it would be no victory. His life would have an empty hole in it and nothing could fill it, not really.

A tear slid the length of her cheek and she brushed at it in frustration.

"The Keep..." The taller man muttered beside her, and Wyn nodded, wavering in place. The man hesitated, paused and surveyed her, a hand on her shoulder, but she waved him on.

"Go... I'll be alright. Get your people inside... I'll be fine." When the man and his brood had gone, disappearing inside, Wyn let herself collapse beside the door, leaning back against the cool stone wall. She was going to wait there until Charlie and Hal came...

Heaven help them if they didn't come. Heaven help her...

@Effervescent, @CloudyBlueDay

Azzara Omari

Azzara did well to heed the advice of the orc, one of two that had decided to come along with her. She guessed that she couldn't blame Hal for going to his people, but with Charlie and Wyn gone, the seed would be significantly exposed to more threats than just the shadow. She had heard about the thick snowflake-like bits falling from the sky from the tales her elders would tell her of the days when the mountains of Maldvir breathed liquid fire. She knew that with the fire came poison disguised as snow, something dangerous to take in and could kill you as if you were caught in smoke. So she did not hesitate to raise her cloak over her mouth and nose. It collected everywhere, stuck to everything and before long Azzara's own hair was coated dark grey with the ash.

The journey down the mountain was perilous. The earth beneath her still shook and exploding rocks flung from the mountain occasionally burst against the ground near them or somewhere above their heads. Ahead, though, were greener pastures. Before long they would reach the valley and be a relatively safe distance from the majority of the danger. Behind them, the scene was dark and dreary. Black clouds hovered low and were lit in the dark red and orange of the liquid fire that would soon be descending on the towns below, and their companions. Azzara did not agree with their choice, but she would hope and pray for their safety. For now, they had to forge on and save the world.

It was now eerily quite as the birds, animals and insects had all gone to shelter from the chaos that lingered behind them. It was only now, when safety had become something of a possibility, did Azzara realize how labored her breathing had become. The clothe covering her face was thick with ash and she tore it quickly away and to the ground, not caring for the cold winds that blew their way. She did her best to remove the clumps from her hair, skin and remaining clothing and left varied piles of the harmful mess around her. Some of it would still cling to her until she had time to truly rest, or even better, bathe.

Once she was cleaned, Azzara dug into the bag at her side and brought the seed into the light once more. It was unharmed, thankfully and responded to her touch. All of this for something so small. "Nobody must know that we are carrying the seed. Until we reach Lauderdine and proven otherwise, every stranger has the possibility to be a threat to our mission." She said back to Solara and Tza'Hal. Turning towards the valley ahead, she stowed away the seed and continued down.

The valley would eventually lead into a path, and the further they went, the greener things got. It was without a doubt that they were heading south once more and would soon be in Thallas. But they would be stopped by a group of what looked to be slaves, or criminals. For some reason, she doubted the latter. One of the drivers came to them, inquiring on their presence. Azzara had to contain her discontent at the nature of the scene before her, but fed more into her concern for the others well behind them.

"There has been a great eruption in the mountains beyond here. We were passing by when it happened and took haste to leave." She pointed towards where they had come from. "We're travelling south, back to Thallas. Our business here has likely been caught up in the catastrophe."

Before Hal got down to business, Charlie was glad to get a moment to see the look in his eyes. Charlie could immediately see how grateful the man was, and he was instantly much more confident in his decision. With each growing second, Charlie began to realize how unable he himself would be able to leave his own home to such a disaster, and how Hal had done the right thing. He felt pretty glad to have been able to tag along on the righteous side quest.

..Right. The righteous quest, which he had not yet completed in the slightest.

Needed to get the people to higher ground. A Keep on the other mountain.
“Did you catch the instructions I gave?” Charlie was tempted to ask Hal to repeat it, for two reasons. One being he was afraid he'd already jumbled it in his head, and the other was that he thought it might be nice to lighten the mood. But he decided against it. Instead, he watched the.. stupid fake snow fall and begin to tarnish what he could only imagine was a peaceful residence for too long. Hal was already guiding the family that lived there out, like a village evacuation pro. Had Hal done this before? That would've been bad, wouldn't it?

“Remember them. I need for you both to split up and head down those two paths leading westward. They will lead you to two other homes. I need for you to give them those instructions. They'll know what to do. Follow them down the road and protect them. I'll meet up with you once everyone is headed towards the keep, alright?" Charlie nodded furiously, clenching his fists together in preparation for whatever was heading his way, as if it would help him. And then he found himself swept up in a tight embrace by Wynleth, Charlie blinked, cheeks reddening, standing frozen in place as she moved on to Hal. "...You come back. Both of you. Please..."

She sounded so distraught. Charlie didn't know Wyn, truly, he didn't. He'd spent time with her, kind of nearly died in front of her, but they'd hardly spoken, he didn't even know her favorite color. But she cared so, so much. Before he could even begin to think of something to say to her, she'd run off down one path.
"I-I.." He started, but put a hand on Hal's shoulder, gazing into the man's eyes and giving him a quick nod in place of words. "See you in a bit." Charlie said firmly, and took off on the second path.

Soot and ash fell heavier with each moment, and Charlie felt it building up in his lungs as he ran. Running probably wasn't very good in this situation. It only brought on the coughing sooner, but that couldn't be helped as he rushed on the forest path. Before he'd reached the house, Charlie could see a giant fireball fall from the sky and explode farther ahead. It's collision shook the earth beneath him, and Charlie stumbled for a moment before quickening his pace. That couldn't have been good.

He came in front of a cottage with a chunk missing, the corner flaming from what only he could assume was the fireball he had seen fall moments ago. Charlie ran up to the door, and as a force of habit, held his hand up to knock before realizing that this was a crisis and doors did not to be knocked on. Plus, it was open, which he later realized after he'd barreled into it.

The half-elf fell into a living room filled with panic -- there were two girls in their teens, the older looking one was attempting to help pull her sister from a fallen bookcase.
"Who are you?" The elder asked, voice cracking mid-sentence. "I'm here to help you," Sounded quite heroic. He put his hands on the edge of the book shelf and prepared to pull it up. "When I lift this up, you pull your sister out, okay?" Left with no other option to trust the stranger who'd so casually invaded their home, they both nodded. Charlie took a deep breath and pushed up on the heavy bookcase with all his might. Once the younger girl had been successfully pulled from out underneath, Charlie dropped it with a gasp.

"My ankle," The younger oner mumbled, face twisted in pain as she hung onto her sister for support. "Where are your parents?" Charlie asked them, glancing around the room. "They're out." The older one mumbled, and Charlie's face fell, as he could only hope that they too were being guided to safety. "So there's no one left in the house, right?" "Our nana's in the bedroom." "Your.. nana?" They nodded. Charlie swallowed. So, carrying a nana was in order. "Oh.. okay. Alright. Listen. You have to start going right now too--"

Another incoming fire ball exploded behind them, chunks of burning rock flying every which way. The wall right behind them caught fire so quickly, cinders fell on Charlie's shoulder, and before he could realize it his sweater was ablaze, eliciting screams from the girls as Charlie frantically tried to pat it out (mistake), and then fling off his sweater a little bit too late. Burns swelled on his hands and shoulder, and Charlie couldn't help but wonder when was the last time his own element had screwed him over like this. Burning the curtains had been the worst of it, right?
"Okay! Okay! Listen!" He shouted. "Stop screaming! Please! You both need to get out, now. Start heading towards Keep Brandau, it's going to be safe there. I'm going to get your nana."

Charlie ran off into the corridor of the house as soon as the two girls had made their way out. He stopped in the doorway of what he assumed was the bedroom when he came across and elderly woman struggling with a cane to get up off the bed.
"Uh..uhm, ma'am, I'm here to help you evacuate--" The woman had taken one look at Charlie and his pointed ears, her face twisting in disgust. "Pah! I won't have any elves put their hands on me." She said with a scowl, her word final as if she was talking to a child. Which he was not!

First, Charlie gaped in astonishment at the elderly woman, because how, in such a life-threatening situation, could she stand to be so awful? Having never left his home of Eversyth, he had never quite encountered such racism. But the astonishment melted into a frustration, as this whole situation was rather stressful, and Charlie let out a shout.
"First of all, I'm a half-elf, so technically half of me could touch you without you being awful! And then secondly --" Another crash outside, shaking the earth once more and almost causing him to fall to his knees. "Secondly," He started again after a couple of coughs, "You're going to die if you stay here and I'm sure your grand-kids would be sad if that happened.." He paused. "Prematurely. So here we go."

Charlie grabbed the elderly woman and pulled her up on his back, technically, a piggy-back ride. She let out a small yowl of protest, but went silent moments afterwards as Charlie heaved her outside, catching up to the sisters on the path to the Keep. Their nana was actually polite enough to cling onto Charlie without touching the burns on his shoulder, which he appreciated quite a lot. She clung onto her cane as he carried her, and when they reached the Keep, Charlie set her down as politely as he could, grinning at the sight of Wynleth up ahead.
"Sorry I picked you up like that." He said to her. and the woman let out a scoff but said nothing else as she and the sisters headed in to the keep.

"Wyn!" He shouted eagerly, happy to see her in one piece. He pulled her into a quick hug before beginning to speak. "I went in and there was a girl who was trapped under a bookcase and I pulled her out and then another big fireball came in and it set my sweater on fire and when I patted it out they told me there nana was -- and then there was a grandma who she, she was still inside and she -- she started going on about how she didn't want me to touch her and stuff so I just.. I just picked her up. And ran here." He was out of breath, but strangely excited. But as he took a moment to settle down and look at her clearly, he could see something was off. "Did it -- was it bad?" He mumbled, face turning somber.

I N F O

The Valley

WITH

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

Trynten Lothorsen

LOTRParthGarlen37.png

Tryn's brow furrowed. Curfews; Tainted attacks; suspicious townsfolk. Even as they followed the guard through the ominous gates, he felt uneasy eyes upon them. Different from Malkath, more than a decade ago. There, people might be cautious but would open their homes to strangers, or at the least greet them with a smile. Here...here, you reported in and reported out. Interesting, how different peoples reacted to the threat of constant death.

The woodsman gave his first name with some hesitation when the guard requested it, though his surname he withheld. He and Inara were drawing enough attention as it was; he'd rather not bring to people's mind memories of the Tragedy in Malkath. Muttering a thanks and glancing at Inara with some trepidation, Tryn urged his horse into the town.

Lauderdine had seen better days, it was certain, as had its people. Folks made purposeful steps toward their unknown destinations, pausing only on occasion to share a bit of gossip or to stare with mouths agap at the strangers. Eyes down, always down, Tryn pressed on, making for what felt like the town square. But he paused when they reached it, and his mouth went right.

"Damn," he whispered. "I don't even know what a vardo is."

@Effervescent @Rissa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back