• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Red Maiden of the Singing Forest (CLOSED)

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
e002c1c7465b08d30d27397e4bcf80c3.jpg

The Red Maiden of the Singing Forest
Tales in the kingdoms of Albion have always been full of mysteries and magic; creatures that stalk the night, praying on the children of man; elves and faeries, wielding powers beyond imagination; and ancient heroes who battled gods and demons. But for most, that's all they are, fantastic stories of a world separate from their own. Most folks will live their lives never seeing a speck of magic, but there are places in the land where one can almost believe that the stories are true, none more so than the forest of Canadhforaoise (ca-na-for-ish). The rumors claim that when the wind blows through the trees that one can hear unearthly music in the breeze; and that the sacred willow tree Deargsaileach (Dearg-sh-e-la-gh) that sits at its center, with leaves like blood, grows on the spot where the hero Lughaidh slew the demonic dragon Kulshedra; and then there's the rumor of a witch who lives in the forest, her hair as red as fire, who is said to be able to cure any ailment.

The town of Redhaven, at the edge of the forest, comes into view as a traveler rides over the hill. Are they your average commoner, seeking a new home? A merchant, looking for fortune? An adventurer, hunting for the start of their own story? Perhaps they are a knight, sent to find the witch to cure their lord's sickness? Or mayhaps they have a curse of their own they hope the witch or the sacred tree can lift? Whether this traveler is a he or she, rich or poor, their story is yours to weave. But watch your step, because each one will lead you closer to the story's end, be it romantic, heroic, or tragic.

Yo! Ian here! Now I'm not usually one to play 1-on-1 rps and this is the first one I've started myself, so here goes! Now before we get started, rules. I know, I know. "Rules suck." and all that, but it has to be done.

- Follow RPnation rules: This should be a no-brainer. No smut and no excessive gore.
- Good writing: I'm an aspiring writer, so I'd prefer that my partner has good grammar and English.
- No one-liners: On average I'm going to be posting 2 or more paragraphs and I would appreciate if you equal that. I recognize that it won't always be possible to do multiple paragraphs, but please try.
- 3rd person/past tense: What more needs to be said?
- Patience: I'm not a fast writer and have an unpredictable scheduled. Sometimes I'll be able to post once a day, other times it'll be a week between. If I can't continue the game I'll let you know, but please give me the same courtesy.
- No OP characters: They exist in the world, but your character should not be one of them, especially not at first. You can be a skilled swordsmen, but not the best. You could be talented archer, but you can not put modern snipers to shame. In fact, the less powerful the better. Within reason of course.

Now that the rules are out of the way...

I'm only looking for one player... for now. While I'm not interested in having multiple games going at once, I may be open to allowing more people in later on if things work out (eg: characters start on a grand quest and needs companions). But as I'm only looking for one person right now there will be an application process. You'll give me a basic character outline (Name, age, appearance, brief history, etc) and an example rp post.

As you make these characters there are a few things to keep in mind...

- Lore: While this is inspired by Celtic mythology, it will not be 100% accurate and I may mix in things from other cultures. So while a little Celtic knowledge is recommended, it's not required.
- Age: I'm not to much a stickler on age here, though I would prefer the characters to be youngish, so late teens to late twenties.
- Gender: You're character's gender isn't too important, but keep in mind that the main romantic interest will be a woman. While the npcs in the game will not outright frown upon a FxF relationship, they will not take it very seriously either. I am trans friendly, though the people will treat your character as their outside appearance.
- Races: Sorry folks, humans only. The only exception will be if your character was cursed to look like another creature, but people will be afraid of you. Unless you became a dog. Everyone loves dogs.
- Magic: Magic is rare in this world, often only belonging to monsters and godly creatures. While there are humans who can wield it, its usually only to make good luck charms and similarly weak spells. Wizards and Druids are capable of using more powerful magics but it takes a lifetime to learn, so the only young spell-casters will have gained their powers by making deals with more powerful beings and are more often than not malevolent in nature.

Still with me? Awesome! Now to the competition! Here's what I want from you! (Please note: This is the minimum that I want. If you want to add more, all the better! Just don't make me read an essay, okay?)

Name:
Appearance:
Written or picture (anime, art, or realistic: though I will warn you, I will be mostly using anime and art)
Brief bio:
RP sample:
Please put this in a spoiler tab so the more enthusiastic of you don't fill the whole page.
Alright, Here are your prompts...

The indecent that sent your character to Redhaven. If your looking for a new home, write when your character left their home (whether it was voluntary or forced). If they're a knight on a mission, write about when their lord gave them their orders. If they were cursed, write about when they were cursed. Et cetera. Et cetera.

-or-

Give me a scene from their journey. Write about you character sitting around a campfire and laughing with their traveling companions, or them shivering alone in a cave as they hide from a storm. Maybe they're letting their thoughts wander as they watch the stars, or enjoying the stories of a bard at an inn, or even barely fighting off a pack of wolves.

I ask that you give me at least 3 paragraph, as I have a hard time imagining this being accomplished in less.

Once you have your applications typed up feel free to post them here (and yes you can post WIPs) and don't be afraid to ask questions. I'll give everyone about a week to get stuff submitted before I start deciding, so Monday the 9th will be the last day to apply (unless there's still a lot of interest).

Now have fun, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Last edited:
Well, I guess that this is no place for Libitina (Daughter of Death who takes people who have died and decides if they die for real or come back), but it is fantasy, so it can work regardless, so I might as well put her info here.
Name: Libitina
Appearance: I can't find the better version.
Libitina Daughter of Death.jpg
Brief Bio: She is a Daughter of Death who takes her job very seriously. She has been around for hundreds of years at least, so she has a dull view of the world, even without learning magic of her own. She explores the country she works for, looking for something interesting to spend her time with, something as long-lasting as she is.

RP Sample: Those would be on my old computer, so I can't get them right now.

Name: Egardo Cascabel

Appearance: Shorter than average and a little stocky and broad shouldered, Eggsy can easily look the part of a thug. When he lets his unkempt hair grow ragged and a beard overtake his face he looks quite unwelcoming. Cleaned up though, there is a hint that he's had a bit more coin thrown his way than most common brawlers. Dark brown, almost black hair, contrast against his muddy green eyes and tanned complexion. He keeps his right arm always covered by a thick cloak or other layers of clothes, to hide that he's missing an arm, replaced by a makeshift wooden appendage. (I'll try and find an anime or art style picture that fits my description)

Brief bio: Born into poverty, the son of indentured servants, his life was always going to be one of service to their lords and ladies. Not knowing anything else was probably his saving grace. He lost his arm at a young age, mangled and torn to shreds leaving him pretty much useless in the fields where his parents worked. Lucky enough, he was around the same age as the young prince and princesses in the Castle and he was taken in to be their play thing. He grew up with pseudo siblings, that would never actually be anything but his masters but he loved his time there, away from the back breaking work of mere peasants. As they grew up and gained land of their own, he was tossed aside, only the mercy of the King allowing him to remain. Deformed so that he could not serve as a body guard, the King gave him another position, Royal spy and sent him out into the world to do backhanded work for the crown.

RP sample: Please put this in a spoiler tab so the more enthusiastic of you don't fill the whole page.

Egardo bowed deeply despite the warm giggling that came from the regal lady. "I'll never get used to seeing you bow." Josephina dismisses her handmaidens and once they are alone, embraces Egardo like the old friends they are.

"I used to bow back then too. You're brothers often had me lie completely on my stomach, if I remember correctly." And a frown deeply forms on her face as she pulls away.

"I never made you bow."

"I... no." He says startled. "Forgive me, I just meant to say I never minded. It's my place after all, to serve you and this kingdom. I always have done so happily." And he's genuine. Maybe at one point he had been lulled into believing they were his family, but no longer.

"How long has it been now." She says, frown softening a little as she dusts at the shabby attire he's wearing. "What has my father been sending you to do."

Egardo opens his mouth only to look down and close it once more. As her expectancy grows he bows again. "I cannot say, my lady. I hope you understand." She makes a disgusted sound and walks fully away. At a desk at the far side of the room, she pulls a letter from a stack of papers. From the King.

"I could order you, couldn't I?" She says, but her tone is playful, staying true to her nature. She sighs, as she hands it over. "Just be careful. I hope to one day be able to hear stories of your adventures, if Father ever allows it."

"I'm sure he will." Egardo says, turning to make his way out the door. He pauses, whispering for her, "Canadhforaoise." Before he slips out of her life again.

Name: Sorin Kord
Appearance: Sorin, at first glance, looks fairly normal. His black hair is cut short, the better to deal with life on the move, and he wears clothing fitting on someone in his position: armor is almost non-existent, composed entirely of a gauntlet on his left arm, and a vambrace of his right, primarily to keep his skin from being flayed by his own bowstring. He wears a mottled green cloak, one which blends into the he trees and greenery well enough that he can remain hidden if he wants to, and the hood from this is often pulled low, to keep his eyes hidden. It is only when one removes the hood and gauntlet that oddities show: his left eye is a sickly shade of yellow, and his left arm is a web of black lines, his veins looking rotten under his skin.
Brief bio: Kord was born into a wealthy family, both his parents being politicians. However, he wasn't destined to follow the family career, and began training with a family friend who headed the segment of the army dedicated to less than noble endeavours, often those associated with espionage and black magic, the latter of which was often an embellishment by the common folk. Grudgingly, his parents allowed him to formally join, although kept it quiet: a noble joining the military was not the done thing. On his first solo missions, Kord was tasked with delivering a message to a neighboring kingdom, and an otherwise boring operation was made far more interesting by the advent of a girl sat on the side of the road. He approached, and was bitten or stabbed - he doesn't remember. Once he bested them - or so he assumes - he carried on either his life. A few days later, the necrosis showed up, first as a little black mark. As it grew and spread, he realised he couldn't hide it, and quietly left, seeking a healer to cure him. He is acutely aware that the creature which infected him might also have been a witch, and is wary about the possibility of repercussions from the fire-haired maiden.
After her introduction, the automaton's eyes glowed a dull red as it looked the girl up and down, presumably running whatever scans a mechanical being of its state was capable of. Closer inspection while it was still would yield an obvious result: the creature was broken. It’s lack of voice was already indicative of this, but gears and cogs could be seen to be motionless, either jammed or eroded by what might be years of lying still, while dust and bugs did their work. There was a hideous sound of grinding metal, and then some of the still gears visible in the creature’s skull stirred, slowly spinning around.

“Jade” it said, its voice seemingly working now, the curiosity evident. “I am Fenris” a statement which, while technically an answer, was fairly obscure, especially considering the mechanical nature of what might otherwise be seen as an organic being. It lowered its front legs and dipped its head, something akin to a bow, before standing back up again.

“And you… are not a priest… and yet you smell of gold” the wolf began circling around her again, before looking in the direction of the passage, as if seeing something that was invisible to the world. “The entrance is open…” it said, and looked back towards the girl, stalking closer now, a hint of displeasure entering its voice as it sniffed the air, a sight which would look odd when done by a mechanical being. “You smell of gold, and the entrance is open… are you a thief?” The bared teeth seem more dangerous now, not something exposed through lack of flesh, but exposed by the creature wanting to impress upon the woman that it wasn’t kindly disposed towards what it considered thieves. The red eyes brightened, which could be seen as anger brewing inside the beast, or anticipation of something to do after sleeping for such a long time.

Last edited:
da97cceac8e451d1f1dc1a9defa8862e.jpg

Name:
Cian O'Rourke
(KEE-an)

Brief bio:
Cian was cursed - as a matter of fact, his entire family was. From a young age, he suffered fevers that arrived only at nightfall, blood that seemed to boil in his veins, and bones that broke at a touch. While he was strong, determined to carve out a better living for his destitute family, there was nothing he could do when the bouts of sickness and blindness struck him like a blizzard. Living in constant agony became a lifestyle to him.

The curse itself spanned generations of the O'Rourke's, having no known source and affecting only the male members of the family. The was no cure, and it showed no sign of ceasing. And yet, Cian had hope. Despite his poor education, he searched throughout the city in which he resided, Oriphah, for any chance at a relief for his family. And found it he did, from a traveler in a pub, telling the tale of the Red Maiden. While listening to a fairytale was against his personal belief, he felt as though every other alternative had been exhausted.

The curse, in short, is one that inflicts internal and external pain on whom it is afflicted. The majority of the pain only strikes at night, leaving many of the O'Rourke family to either go sleepless or become nocturnal. It is a mix of fevers, skin boils, temporary blindness and deafness, seeing things that aren't there, and burning beneath the skin. Most of the symptoms disappear by dawn, although the burning skin sensation often lingers into the afternoon.

RP sample:
(Warning: mentions blood, vomit, and all that good stuff)
Cian bent double in pain, his wretches echoing through the empty forest like the call of a ghost. Tears stung the corners of his eyes, and his skin felt clammy and thick, as if he ought to peel it off. His arms were wrapped around his stomach in an effort to calm his churning insides, but it seemed as though there was no end in sight. The dry heaving was unbearable; it caused the burning fluids of his stomach to rise into his throat, making Cian choke and cough up bloody chunks. For a moment, all he could see was red, red tinging his spit, red splattered on the leaves underfoot, and red on his hands as he wiped his gaping mouth.

Something caught his foot, and Cian fell to the ground, his hands digging into the damp moss and lips brushing brushing against the dirt as he struggled to breathe. The heaving had ended, but it was far from over. As Cian rolled into his back, his eyes found stripes of sky shadowed by the boney branches of trees overhead, still tinged with the colors of sunset. A groan escaped him, and yet he forced himself to his knees as if pleading for respite. The curse seemed to comply, giving Cian a chance to stand on wobbly feet and stumble back to the campsite he had set up.

Sitting beside the small fire, Cian spat a stream of thick blood into the flames before wiping his face with a dirtied rag. His hands shook as they hovered above the heat in an effort to banish the blue that had set upon them. And yet, Cian felt as though the flames would cool him in comparison to the raging magma that seemed to move through him like blood. While the pain was not something that could be ignored, Cian had felt it for so long that it was more of an angry bee buzzing around his head. It stung again and again, but it wouldn't kill him. Not yet, anyhow.

There was another heave - something finally rose from his stomach, and Cian swung his head to the side to avoid dirtying himself. A small bit splashed into the fire, and immediately there was a stench of burning flith that almost made Cian heave once more. The back of his hand slapped across his mouth, and he scooted away from the fire, choking. But it was cold in the shadows, and it seemed to encompass him, trickling down his back like the sweat that was pooling around his skin.

A few moments passed before Cian moved back to the warmth of the fire, pulling down his hand to see dark red lumps rising from them like leech bites. Pulling a long strand of white cloth from a fold in his cloak, Cian began to wrap his hands with practiced celerity, moving to cover his arms as the sores advanced steadily. His bandages could only do so much, as the sores stained the cloth with seeping blood, but it was enough to stave off infection.

Cian felt weak, and his vision began to blur. He collapsed beside the fire, his legs curling in a fetal position and his eyes shut tight. His chest rose and fell in irregular breaths, giving way to the groans of agony that sleep brought. Was it really sleep if, in his dreams, he was chased to exhaustion and further? Was it sleep if the pain of life carried over to the realm of near-death?

Must not sleep.

Must...

not...

Last edited:
Arden Duer
1522954413365.png

Appearance: Arden is a fairly tall individual standing at 6'1, well built from years toiling away as an apprentice to his towns blacksmith. His dirty blonde hair is usually left a bit long, with some facial hair that he keeps short. His fair skin is often covered in dirt and soot from the long hours he works at the forge, with noticeable burn marks on his hands and forearms, while his eye are deep pools of sapphire. Perhaps the most distinguishing feature is the brand on his face, an ugly scar that mars his otherwise noble visage. After beginning his journey to Canadhforaoise Arden began wearing some of his fathers old armor during his days as a squire. It consists of mostly hardened black leather, being the chest piece and legs. Over that he wears a hooded tabard bearing the mark of his family's sigil and to complete the ensemble a black coat that covers his arms.
1522989436452.png

Brief bio: Arden was born into a relatively well off family in the small city of Brevis. His father was a knight of the local lord, Alrick, and was well respected throughout the community. As a boy Arden had dreams of following his fathers footsteps one day, hoping to be a great knight and hero, just like him! His dreams were thoroughly shattered when his father was accused of high treason and the attempted murder of a fellow knight. Such a crime was treated with extreme severity, and his father was hung for the offense. The punishment went beyond him however, and Arden was forced to pay for his fathers sin as well, a vicious brand placed on his face to let everyone know that he was the child of an honorless traitor. His little sister and mother were thankfully spared such fates being that they were women.

Having lost their status and being removed from their home, the Duer's began their struggle for survival. Arden's mother didn't last more than a year before she passed, heartbreak and disease claiming her soul. With no one to depend on Arden took it upon himself to provide for him and his sister with something resembling a life. He tried desperately to find a job, shining shoes, cleaning refuse out of the streets even, but none would take the branded boy. Seeing as he couldn't make an honest living and his sister on the brink of starvation Arden turned to thievery. He was already treated like a criminal, so he decided to act the part. It wasn't long until he was caught, during an attempt to steal food and coin from the local blacksmith. He thought he was about to join his father in the afterlife as the smith raised his hammer, but the blow never came. Instead his gaze lingered on the brand. Apparently some time ago his father had saved the mans wife who had been attacked by a band of ruffians. Feeling he owed a debt, the smith took the boy and his sister in, on the condition they worked for their stay.

Over the years Arden grew into a hard working, diligent and honest man who tried desperately to escape the long, dark shadow of his fathers legacy. This chance appeared when a strange plague overcame the city, leaving a myriad of folk in a comatose state. Including his sister Ellia. The plague would have likely been ignored were it not for the fact that the lords son had been afflicted as well. Weeks went by, with no apothecary able to figure out a solution. The situation became so desperate that the Lord offered whoever could solve the crisis any prize their heart desired. Already desperate himself, Arden recalled a story his mother told him about as a child. Of the Red Maiden of the Singing Forest. Perhaps it was just a fairy tale, but with no cure in sight there was nothing Arden wasn't willing to try. Donning his fathers old equipment and sword, Arden departed Brevis and began his journey to Redhaven.

"You're bloody mad boy, you realize that!?" A rough gravelly rough shouted after Arden as he finished equipping his fathers old squire armor. It was in admittedly rough condition, having not been worn in years, decades even. Still it was better than the linen shirt and burlap pants he usually wore. He tried his best to ignore the old mans voice that continued to grate against his ears. Nels had been good to him, given him a chance to live a decent life. To him, he was throwing it away on some myth and for all Arden knew the old man was right. But that was the best chance he had to save his sister from the Endless Sleep. To prove that his family was still one with honor.

Before he could try and leave his cramped room a rough, callused hand grabbed Arden's shoulder, forcibly turning him about and notice Nels. Despite all of his yelling and berating the worry on the blacksmiths wrinkled, tanned face was evident. It wore heavy on the young mans heart to see his caretaker for well over a decade so distressed. "Now you listen here lad, I didn't take you in all of those years ago Just so you could throw your life away chasing some old wives tale! Is that what you mother wanted? Is that what Ellia would want!?" At the mention of her name, both men looked towards the girl that lay in a bed adjacent to Arden's. Her skin was pallid, looking little better than a corpse. Her eyes that had once shone brighter than the sun were milky and unfocused. To see his sister who was once the most vibrant and loving person reduced to just this... Husk.

"Look at her Nels." Arden stated with an unexpected amount of conviction, catching his mentor off guard. For a moment he hesitated, before laying his weary eyes upon the girl. Arden's eyes never left her as he continued to speak. "How can I not risk everything to bring her back? I'm all she has in this world, I have to fight for her even if that means chasing a myth!" An uneasy silence settled in the room, broken only by the shallow breaths of his sister.

Nels seemed at a loss for words for a few moments. He didn't bother looking back at Arden as he spoke again, his voice softer now. "Ellia might not have much time left Arden. Wouldn't you rather be with her in her final days?" It was something he had thought about many times this past week. "I would want nothing more Nels, but if I pass up a chance to save her, I'll never forgive myself." Knowing that if he dwelled any longer he wouldn't have the will to leave, Arden made his way towards the doo. He stopped as he passed through the doorframe, looking over his shoulder with a small smile on his lips.

"Take good care of her old man." With nothing left to be said, Arden stepped out into the world, taking his first steps towards the Singing Forest. As was often the case, he received a fair amount of glares and insults as he passed by. A pleasant side effect of the brand that had kissed his face so many years ago. If by some miracle this works, perhaps I will no longer be looked upon as the son of a traitor.

He ignored the guards as they spat at his feet, taking a moment to stand at the entrance of the city gates. The fields and rolling hills around his home seemed to stretch out like an endless sea of green. Ensuring his well used sword was secure in its scabbard, Arden pulled his hood over his head as he began walking down the road. "Gods, if you have any mercy, let these tales be true."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back