• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Rabbit Catcher

Ronan

debussy.
4tklmx.gif

No one remembers a time before the first Sandstorms.

A time when the earth was green and the oceans were blue and mankind thrived. But the arrival of the first Sandstorms changed everything. They are toxic, filled with radiation that wiped everything from the earth. Hundreds of cities are now buried and the oceans have dried up and the rainforests are a myth. The Sandstorms move - one day a patch of land is revealed and the ruins of what once was shows itself, but it disappears again, obscured by the phenomenon of its harsh whirlwinds and foreboding presence. And even then, it changes. The sands rise and fall revealing different things when it moves; but one thing is for sure, they are dangerous. All who have ventured into the storms have never returned.

Because of the Sandstorms, scientists, car mechanics, railroad workers, and airline pilots were forced to work together to create an alternate way to live, so they created airships. A way to save humanity, and with airships already in the skies, they survived. But there was a new threat: war in the skies. Out of fear an impending manifest destiny and imperialism, countries did away with nationalities and came together to form a large airship out of many. It would be a united government to rule the new Age of Air. The mothership is called ADAM and is governed by a meritocratic government. Many willingly obeyed and allied themselves with ADAM, but others rebelled, separated themselves from the rest of society.

Piracy took its form.

It has been centuries since the first Sandstorms. No one remembers earth or what existed before the Sandstorms, but rumours have begun to circulate. People are disappearing. Some believe that storms will end, but no one can be sure, but it's clear the government wants to suppress knowledge about the storms and the pirates want to discover a way through the them.

You are couriers. You work for the government. Your job is to deliver mail through the skies for the government and allies. The mail you carry are letters of love, letters of alliances, letters of secrets, and as mailmen, the pirates want you. They chase you ruthlessly through the skies to acquire the envelopes you carry, and this time you're carrying dangerous letters. The government has appointed The Rabbit Catcher to deliver letters to pirates.

Hello! And thank you for reading the short abstract to this role-play! It's been a long time coming, and I'm pleased to say that it's finally here! This role-play falls into a dystopia genre with a slice of steampunk. If that or the premise interests you and you're considering joining (once I get the CS and miscellaneous threads up), there are some guidelines below that I expect all persons to adhere to prior to dropping an interest:
  • The Rabbit Catcher features a high-level of writing, reading comprehension, and collaborative environment. You are responsible for placing substance and effort into your posts, including grammar, and your posts should range anywhere from a paragraph to novella.
  • I'd like a reply per week. If you have a conflict or are unable to post, notify me through the group OOC or PMs. Real life should always take priority over the fictional one and I will never fault you from needing to step away. If you fail to notify me of absence within two weeks time, I will automatically remove you from the role-play and you will not be allowed to rejoin. However, if you notify me of an extended absence, you are responsible for catching up with any posts and miscellaneous content created during your absence.
  • Because of the longevity and literate goal, this will be a selective role-play. I expect your characters upon creation to be three-dimensional and for you to take charge with your character's story.
  • This role-play is player-driven. There is an overarching plot-line taking place where I, the GM, will be controlling NPCs and enemies, but I want writers to have the freedom to push the plot and characters in any direction they see fit. You should not feel trapped by the narrative since it's a shared one.
  • Play is emergent. That means things like the world, characters, relationships, et cœtera will be developed and established throughout play.
  • Have fun! I want characters to be able to grow with the story and for writers to bond! No one should feel excluded or discriminated against.
  • Finally, and most importantly, if there is enough interest and you agree to the expectations above, the role-play will be made. I will also answer any questions regarding the plot, characters, and the world below, so don't hesitate to ask!
Below is a sneak peek of the airship roles that are not finalised yet. More will be added or eliminated depending on the amount of interest generated:
  • Captain: Ronan Ronan
  • Quartermaster:
  • Boatswain:
  • Navigator:
  • Surgeon:
  • Cook:
  • Carpenter:
  • Musician/Artist:
  • Gunner:
I am not taking role reservations. The aforementioned is simply to give you an idea of directions you can go with your character.

Last edited:
Ronan Ronan I have a girl in mind who could be either navigator or artist, but I'm leaning more towards navigator! She's a dreamer, obsessed with the stars, but resilient 😌

Hi there✨ Color me interested :-) I have a character in mind for the boatswain. An observant oddball who would get lost in the wondrous mechanics of ships and sails rather than to step out & interact with people.

Last edited:
i'm interested! i'm thinking i'll either go for the carpenter or the surgeon.
for the surgeon, he/she will be young and ambitious. will also be from a privileged background, and someone who takes themselves a little too seriously. i will maybe have them look down on some of the crewmates who they perceive as below them and create some potential for conflict there, but they're still gonna be a reliable and loyal figure and a skilled surgeon.

for the carpenter, i think i'll have him be a family man with like 5 kids and thus not very eager to do the most dangerous shit bc he's the breadwinner and his family can't afford to lose him.
but on the bright side, he always has an open ear for his crewmates' troubles and can settle disputes fairly easily. he's a little rough around the edges, but he still has a heart of gold.
he also has a lot of experience, maybe he's even had some run-ins w/ pirates, idk yet, but he always has a good story to tell

i will maybe have them look down on some of the crewmates who they perceive as below them and create some potential for conflict there, but they're still gonna be a reliable and loyal figure and a skilled surgeon.
If that is the case, you're one stop ahead of me! The character sheet will have a required section of forming two pre-established relationships with your crew-mates. You can create friction and animosity with another that will be a joy to read in the role-play! :closed eyes open smile:

Definitely interested in the quartermaster or if that's taken the role of navigator!
I am not accepting reservations now, so it's free for all! I will accept reservations once the CS thread is up.

Also, we have eight people interested now! That is more than enough for a crew! So I will get started on the necessary threads and have everything up before tonight!

And I want to thank you for all of your interest! The Rabbit Catcher has been in the works for over a year now, and the story is very near and my heart. I hope it will grow into the same thing for you, too. I am a GM who values original stories and the characters that become part of it. I seek to bring originality to RPN. I seek to bring something different to existing genres, or something not often seen.

you can definitely tell that there is a lot of thought put into the concept and it's deffo a very original idea! and i also hope that the rp takes off and stays afloat (get it... airship)

Threads are here! You have until July 1st (one week) to finalise your character sheets, form relationships, discuss the plot and your characters with me, and ask any miscellaneous need-to-knows before the Rabbit Catcher sets off!

And of course, welcome aboard!

aah my hellbrain can't decide whether to go with the surgeon or the carpenter
If I wasn't the captain, I'd certainly play the role of the carpenter. I think it'd be fun to write someone who knows how to fix things and is a big part of what keeps the Rabbit Catcher afloat. :closed eyes open smile:

Absolutely interested! Especially if you've got room aboard for a (mostly) competent sailmaker/bosun's mate (assuming sleepyginkgo sleepyginkgo would be up for it, of course) with a slight honesty issue "obsessive wannabe biologist" thing!

excuse me i dont mean to bother, but is there still a role as gunner available? i have a bit of background with rping but i am new to the site so i apologize if im a bit noobish.

Absolutely interested! Especially if you've got room aboard for a (mostly) competent sailmaker/bosun's mate (assuming sleepyginkgo sleepyginkgo would be up for it, of course) with a slight honesty issue "obsessive wannabe biologist" thing!
Of course! What shall I put your role title as?
excuse me i dont mean to bother, but is there still a role as gunner available? i have a bit of background with rping but i am new to the site so i apologize if im a bit noobish.
Yes! We have a gunner role available! There are two gunners! You can check the CS thread here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back