• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Queen's Servant (Red x Onyx)

KittOnyx

=^meow^=
1583354594442.pngIt was cold and damp out the day it happened, which seemed to match Lillen's mood. She stared off into the horizon from her wrought iron windowpane, a scowl painted on her face as she watched tiny droplets of water fall from the graying sky. From her window perch she could see the garden, which was really a small hedge maze surrounded by a border of rose bushes and a courtyard at the foot of the stairs with room enough for a party of twelve. The concrete of the courtyard was dark from rainfall, it must have been going all night. There were a few guards milling about in the greenery, walking perimeter as it was their hourly duty, who were surely as damp as the concrete. Lillen watched their slow, calculated pacing with groggy eyes. The queen had just woken up from a long nights rest and was taking a moment to herself before she started the day's activities, something she rarely had time for anymore. Ever since her husband, King Piotr, had passed away she had taken up his responsibilities as the only Noble left. Running a kingdom was not all it was cracked up to be and Lillen hated making all the hard decisions. She missed her husband greatly and wished everyday that she was back in his embrace.

A tear fell from Lillen's eye and landed on her hands which were folded neatly in her lap. She hadn't even realized she was crying until she felt the water touch her skin. Callously, she wiped her tears away and scolded herself internally for letting herself get so worked up. It was much to early in the day for her to be fretting on things that were long over and people who were long gone. She sniffled quietly as she picked herself up from her window seat and headed directly to her wardrobe to change out of her nightgown. She was sure the advisors were already waiting for her in the throne room, sure to have plenty of wishes and demands to thrust in her direction for approval. Once she was out of her nightgown and dressed in a billowing black and gold gown, she pulled her dark brown tresses into a tight bun atop her head, a perfect place for a crown to sit.

Now in the hallway, Lillen was in the company of the two guards who were stationed outside her bedroom door. She gave them each a friendly but curt nod as she passed by. They each gave her a salute in turn and she made her way down the halls towards the throne room. She could hear hushed conversations being held but as soon as she entered it was silent in an instant. She took up her seat in her throne, only giving a quick glance to the empty seat next to her, before she addressed the advisors who stared expectantly up at her. "You may begin," she announced as she carefully picked up the teacup that had just been brought in by one of the many servants that filled her castle. She gave the girl a thankful nod and a tight lipped smile as she sipped her tea. She held the cup close to her face, inhaling the sweet pungent aroma with fervor. There was almost nothing that Lillen loved more than to be curled up with a hot cup of tea and a book. She has always been a 'book worm' as her father had called it. Nowadays though, the queen rarely had time for anything other than her Royal duties.

Lillen listened as the advisors droned on and she gave her answers when necessary, but otherwise she was quiet and contemplative. She was just finishing her first cup of tea, which gave her a little pang of sadness, but as she was about to request another cup the double doors that served as the main entrance into the throne room were thrown open and in stormed two guards dragging a male between them. Each had a hand hooked under his armpit and his head was slumped so she couldn't see his face quite yet, but her curiosity was intense. The advisors looked cautiously between one another and the queen motioned for them to step aside so she could address the guards and their prisoner. "What's the meaning of this," she boomed in her most official tone, the look on her face was stern and cold.

"This cretin," one of the guards started as he shook the prisoner sharply, "was trying to incite a riot on you, your Majesty." Lillen's eyebrow pulled up in mock surprise. It wasn't the first time someone had tried to make advances on the crown and she was sure it wouldn't be the last. She eyed the man suspiciously and was silent for a moment as she contemplated what his consequences would be. He obviously hadn't been very successful if he was the only one that had been arrested, but then again, maybe whoever he was working with just put him out as bait. Either way, she knew he couldn't go without punishment or it would give other's the impression that their queen was complacent. She thought a moment longer befor she finally spoke, "For the act of attempting to overtake the throne, I sentence you to death," Lillen declared, finally meeting the man's eyes. There was terror there which made a small lump rise in Lillen's throat. She really hated these cut throat decisions. While she wasn't a softhearted person, necessarily, she knew the value of a life even in someone's darkest moments. The guards had already started dragging the man away when Lillen stopped them mid step, "Unless," she started, "you agree to be my personal servant." She knew it wasn't anybody's first choice but it could be beneficial for them both; the man wouldn't have to lose his life and Lillen would have a companion again, however begrudgingly they stayed with her. The guards wheeled the man back around to face Lillen, her eyes searching his face for any sign of recognition, any sign of what his answer would be. Would he give his life for his cause? Was this part of the plan all along? Had she just invited an assassin into her court? Only time would tell, she supposed. Thoughtfully, she sipped on a new cup of tea that had appeared next to her sometime while she was deliberating on this man's fate as she waited for his decision.

RedtheRoyalGuard RedtheRoyalGuard

Katudo felt insulted. Yes, he wanted to strike a rebellion but that only resulted in him being captured. Until he the time of his capture and when he got into the throne room, he fought the guards angrily, wanting to show that he would not bow down to the Queen's will. That was until one of them said that they'd kill him without a second if he continued, and that shut him up and Katudo called down. Now, here he was, in the Throne Room of the Queen, and he had been left with two choices: Death, or Servitude. He shook his head as he knew that he had no other choice. He wanted to live no matter what and if living in the Queen's servant was the way to go, then he'd do it.

"I.....I choose to accept being in your service, y-your majesty." He answered honestly while a touch of nervousness was in his voice. He had no idea how to serve a queen and for one, hoped he didn't have to clean her shoes with his tongue or anything. He'd find a way to kill himself without a second thought. What could go wrong?

Lillen folded her arms across her chest, pleased with the man's answer. A smirk crossed her lips momentarily before she waved one hand at the guards, signalling for them to leave. They dropped the man on his knees in front of her before they shuffled out of the room without another word and she stared down with piercing eyes. What was she going to have him do first? He had just pledged his servitude to her in exchange for his life, his fate was in her hands. "What was your name again, peasant," Lillen asked as she sized him up. She wondered what he was capable of, could she push him into doing hard labor? Would he be better suited for menial tasks? Being the queen usually meant she was doted on pretty heavily, she rarely wanted for much aside from time alone.

"Now, as I'm sure you're well aware, I am Queen Lillen. I have just spared your life in exchange for your service to me, and only me. For all intents and purposes, you are my right hand. Your first task is to make me a fresh cup of tea since mine has gone cold dealing with your insolence. Return to me as soon as you are done," her demand was concrete and with a flick of her wrist the man was shown to the kitchen by a foot-maid, the same that had been refilling Lillen's cup until then. Lillen settled back into her throne and cast another longing glance at her husband's empty chair while she waited.

Katudo had gotten to the kitchen and he folded his hands in front of him. He had no idea on what kind of tea the Queen liked or would've preferred but he had to guess that this was the same kind as before. He sighed quietly then he glanced to the maid that brought him the ingredients. He was aware of the ways to make tea and he had taken a sip before his act of rebellion, as if he wanted a clear mind in order on how to work it. Now, he was a Queen's Servant...and he had to make tea.

His mind Immediately went back to the Queen's cold stare. It frightened him, almost, seeing how that just a look could turn him into a submissive fool. He hated himself for it and he wanted to make a stand against it but he would possibly lose his life if he tried to tell the Queen how it was. If he was lucky, the Queen would have her guards injure him and have him recover but also see her looming over him as a reminder that he shouldn't go against Lillen.

Katudo soon managed to finish making the tea and he was able blow against to have it cool down a bit. He grabbed the handle of the cup and gently set it down onto the plate. Carefully, he carried the teacup out of the kitchen and to the throne room, where the Queen was waiting. He swore he caught her looking to where the King used to be and he thought he saw a woman that was lonely but his other half of his mind had said that she was a ruthless queen that showed no mercy. "My name is Katudo Attolis, your majesty...you had asked that of me." He spoke then he approached the Queen, the nervousness taking effect again as he watched her.

Lillen had almost completely forgotten about the advisors, who had now gathered at the side of the room as they talked among themselves in hushed tones. She caught one of their eyes and they cleared their throat for the rest of the group and they all turned their attention back to the queen. "Let's continue," she called out to them as she motioned for them to convene by her throne again. They quietly shuffled over and started running down their lists again and Lillen rattled off her answers for them.

Luckily they had gotten through quite a bit of their agenda before they had been interrupted by the guards so by the time the dark haired man returned with Lillen's tea, the advisors were seeing themselves out of the throne room. Lillen eyed the cup of tea and the man with the same amount of disdain before she finally lifted the cup to her lips and took a sip. Her lip twitched slightly, it wasn't awful, but it definitely had not been steeped long enough. She wondered if it was his first time making tea as she set it back down on it's accompanying saucer with a soft clink.

"For the future, Katudo," she finally addressed the man, "I need one lump of sugar and please, for the love of the gods, brew it longer. This almost tastes like rag water," she was a bit harsh on him, but he had just tried to dethrone her so she felt it only right. He deserved it after all. The queen huffed a sigh and suddenly pushed herself out of her throne to a standing position. She gathered her skirt in her hands and stepped down from the pedestal where the thrones sat. "I'd like to go on a walk," she declared, "You will hold my umbrella," she commanded of Katudo. Without so much as glancing in his direction she swept from the room and headed towards the courtyard, assuming that the man would follow behind her. It was still sprinkling little drops of water, "It's there," she pointed out where the umbrella's were kept. She stared as droplets streaked down the glass panes of the courtyard doors while she waited for Katudo to gather her umbrella from the small closet tucked in the corridor adjacent to where she stood.

Katudo had heard the remark that the Queen made to him about the tea. He flinched a little and he knew that he needed to do something different then what he was used to doing on a daily basis but it still hurt him a little when she was being harsh on him. Any quick-witted remark that he wanted to make quickly disappeared from his mouth as he had to keep his words to himself. "Y-Yes, Your Majesty....I will make sure to remember." He spoke.

When Queen Lillen declared that she would take a walk, her servant followed after her. Katudo had turned to the where the umbrellas were kept and he immediately went to it. He grabbed the Umbrella that belonged to the Queen and he held it up but didn't open it, remembering the superstition that was caused when opening an umbrella indoors. "Are you ready to depart, Your Majesty?" He asked, staying polite but also mundane.

Lillen was content that Katudo would work on his tea brewing. If he intended to stay around long enough to live a long life he would need to know how the queen liked everything. In reality, the queen was not a very demanding person. Being in the position she was, however, had made her put up a steel wall when dealing with everyone who wasn't her husband. She felt the weight of the crown heavy on her head, especially now that he was gone. Lillen cast a longing glance down at her hands where on her left still sat her wedding ring on it's appropriate finger. Absently she fiddled with it while she sighed, still standing in front of the courtyard windows. They had held so many parties in that courtyard and now, with the rain and graying sky, it looked so somber.

Lillen was brought back to the present when Katudo asked if she was ready. She sucked in a sharp breath and readied herself by gathering her skirt in her hands so she could descend the courtyard steps. "Yes, let's go," was Lillen's short reply as she pushed the doors open. She waited for Katudo to open the umbrella before she took a step out and under it. Once they were both outside and walking leisurely Lillen cast a judgmental glance at her new servant. She wondered what drove him to the point where he wanted to overthrow her, where his rage had gotten so bad that he had to take it out on her. "Do you have a family," Lillen asked, no longer looking at her servant but far off into the distance as they walked side by side. It wasn't that she even truly cared, but she had not thought about if anyone would show up looking for this man after a while.

Katudo flinched when Lillen had asked if he had family. He looked down then he sighed quietly. "No, your majesty. I do not have any family...I'm alone." He responded quietly then he closed one eye. He didn't want to speak about what happened to them and this would also be related to the reason why he rebelled. The servant opened his other eye then he began to shake his head.

His family was killed by the late King, tried because of false accusations that were given to him and executed the next morning. Katudo was the only there that wept on that day. He was only 17 years old. Since that day, he's felt nothing but a burning hatred for the King and was quite glad that he was dead by now. No one could replace him and it was better for the world.

Lillen felt a little saddened by Katudo's solitude. It matched her own, in a way. While she had a palace full of people just waiting to dote on her, the one person whom she loved and considered family was gone. "Tell me what happened, child," she spoke with the concern of a mother but the rough royal demeanor still prevailed. Honestly, Lillen wasn't sure if she was asking out of concern, curiosity, or pure boredom. Not many other servants wanted to chat with Lillen, nor did they usually have the time. She waited and listened to what Katudo would say. She wondered briefly if he would even tell her the truth. He could easily lie to her but what good would that do him? If she found out, he'd have to be punished.

"I'm sure you're well aware that the King and I were married. He was the only family I had. We never had children, I'm not the mothering type really," she laughed callously. Her mother had wanted grandchildren and her hopes skyrocketed when Lillen married into a royal family, assuming that they would make heirs to the throne but she had no such luck. Lillen did often wonder what life would be like had she given in to her mother's demands but she had been happy with just Piotr. "I know he wasn't always a good man but..." she looked down into Katudo's eyes and almost felt hers well with tears, so she looked away, not wanting to show weakness, "but I loved him." A quiet sigh escaped her lips as she fell silent. The only sound was the quiet swish of grass against their feet as they walked. They had made it halfway around the garden maze by now and there was a guard on patrol giving them a confused look. It was obvious he didn't recognize the new servant attending to the queen, but she paid him no mind.

Katudo saw the tears in her eyes and he knew that the Queen was different. He shook his head then he sighed quietly. If he told her, then she would be upset with him but she even told him that her husband was not always a good man. He knew he had to tell her eventually but he couldn't afford to wait. She was just someone....someone who lonely now that the King was dead. It made him feel guilty about what he thought about him.

"My family...they were executed for committed treason. I was there for that execution but I didn't want to do anything rash so I just wept. I know you mean well....I.... I just felt so much anger and hatred towards you and the King....but now, I feel empty. You loved him and he loved you back...you opened my eyes, Your Majesty....I....I cannot be one to pass judgement, that is on you alone. I wish for us to have a better relationship than what has happened. My father always told me that an enemy can become a friend...and I never really believed him. I suppose....that I just couldn't stand it..but...I want to try, Queen Lillen. I will do my all to be your humble servant....and... A-A friend, if you allow it." Katudo responded then he bowed his head slowly, keeping the umbrella above them. He closed his eyes as he couldn't wait and see what his punishment from the Queen would be. He prepared himself fod the worst but he was unsure if he could handle it.

Lillen thought on Katudo's words for a long moment. She felt remorseful that he had lost his family, they shared that pain. It made her heart ache for herself as well as the man before her. "Your father sounds like a wise man," she responded as she continued their slow walk, not being able to bring herself to look at Katudo, not yet. Did she really want to grant him that access? Did she want to keep him that close? Her eyes fixated on Katudo's head as he bowed, scrutinizing his words. "I do not trust you yet, Katudo," she started in a less than pleasant tone, "but I will grant you the privilege of staying by my side, for now, as it does get lonely here sometimes," her tone had softened now as she gazed up at the beautiful castle before them. The place she called home that no longer felt like one. Lillen was quiet for a moment as she stared at the castle then she shifted her gaze back to Katudo, head still bowed and hooked a long slender finger under his chin to lift his head so their eyes could meet. "But I promise you, boy, if you cross me again there will be consequences," her voice was low and stern. Her threats were serious as she didn't like to be played a fool, and if she was giving any trust to Katudo he better have no intention of breaking it.

Katudo flinched and he stared at the Queen's eyes. He knew messing with her feelings would be resulting in death. He nodded quickly and he sighed quietly. "Y-Yes, of course....Yes, your majesty. I will make sure not to do that. I swear it....I don't think I'll have any intention of ruining anything between us..." He spoke before closed his eyes quickly then opened them. He backed a bit before sighing again. He gripped the umbrella and he shook his head.

"Are we to continue our walk, your majesty?" Katudo asked as he smiled a little. He seemed to be better now that this was off of her chest and he shook his head again.

Katudo's answer was good enough for Lillen, at least then it was. She would hold him accountable for his words but most importantly his actions. It felt strange to Lillen having someone she could call a companion, regardless of how he came about, but she wanted to make sure he knew she was serious. There was no way that she was going to let him undermine her for a second time. "I believe it's time to retire to my study for a while," she answered Katudo's question finally, "besides it's starting to rain more and I don't want my skirts to get too damp." She cast a glance at the darkening sky as heavier raindrops started to fall making loud plopping sounds against the umbrella. Lillen turned towards the courtyard doors to head inside, once more gathering her skirts in hand, only stopping a moment to speak with the guard standing there, "I want all guards to know this man is my personal servant. If you find him doing anything aside from what I ask," she paused and looked back at Katudo, making sure their eyes met so he could see the seriousness in her stare, "punish him." The guard nodded in response, the helmet he wore clinking against his armor faintly. A smile appeared on Lillen's lips as she continued on inside, certain that by the end of the day every guard in the palace would know of Katudo and to watch for any slip ups he might make.

"Follow me to the study first and then I will have one of the maids show you to your new sleeping quarters," Lillen instructed Katudo as she made her way up the main stairs. "You should learn this castle like the back of your hand. There are plenty of servants passageways for you to make your movements more efficient," she remarked as they passed one such passage. Lillen's study was just down the hall from her bedroom. It had two heavy wooden doors with ornately carved patterns sprawled across their faces and when you entered there was floor to ceiling shelves of books. In the middle of the room sat two desks, one was Lillen's and one had belonged to Piotr. Piotr's hadn't been touched since he died, except for the occasional dusting, so everything was where he left it. Lillen took a seat at her desk, skirt billowing out before her, and eyed Katudo. "If you are ever unsure where I may be, you can find me here," she told him, a small smile on her face. It was her own private getaway and the last place in the castle that her husband's memory burned bright. "Now, Orla will show you to your new quarters," she waved her hand in the air to dismiss Katudo as a small maid with fiery red hair came and ushered him out of the study.

Katudo had stared at the Queen for a bit when they passed by the guard and he looked to the maid. That smile....that damn smile...it unnerved him. It made him think of the woman that was a ruthless leader but at the same time, a queen who was still mourning her husband's passing. He shook his head as he grabbed his forehead, seeing that it was confusing to go with either one. He didn't know how to react to it and confused him even more. The new servant turned to Orla and he bowed his head to her.

"Greetings..." He spoke gently and quietly almost. He didn't want to end up punished severely by the guards. It make him feel threatened by Lillen, shaking his head. If this was her way of having him be submissive, then it was working. He didn't want to be submissive. He needed to show the Queen that respect needed to be earned but if she was going to play it like this....then she would have something more than a rebellion on her hands.

~Later That Night~
Lillen rolled over in bed, her arm instinctively reaching out for Piotr to wrap around him. When her arm hit bed instead, it roused her from sleep and she peered blurry eyed into the darkness. Of course Piotr's side of the bed was empty. Lillen shook her head making her long brown tresses of hair fall around her face. A soft moan escaped her lips as she sat up in bed, running a shaky hand through her hair as she tried to clear her mind. The moonlight filtering through the window cast an almost eerie glow on her room as she slipped from bed and made her way to the window seat. She stared out at the night sky, stars twinkling above her and hoped Piotr was watching her now.

The sound of footsteps caught Lillen's attention and her eyes darted to her bedroom door. Who could be sneaking around the castle at this hour? She waited for the sound to recede before she slipped on her robe and slippers to investigate. She opened her door and looked down both ends of the hall, she could tell whoever it was had made their way down the stairs towards the main hall so she quickly followed suit. She kept quiet, arms wrapped around her torso keeping the robe strict against her body. She passed the doors for the courtyard and almost didn't think to look out there until a slight movement caught her eye. There was a silhoutte of a man standing in the courtyard, they had their back to Lillen so she couldn't see who it was but she almost thought it was Piotr. She shook her head, it couldn't be him. Without hesitation, Lillen opened on of the doors and stepped out into the cool night air, a shiver running up her spine. Even with the light from the moon she couldn't tell who it was yet, so she took a few cautious steps forward until she recognized the hair. "Katudo, what are you doing out here," she hissed quietly as she stepped next her new servant with a look of bewilderment, "I hope you're not planning an escape," she continued, meeting his eyes now.

Katudo was enjoying himself until he heard the voice of the queen hissing at him. He flinched gently and he shook his head. "Not in any day, my Queen...I simply came out here to enjoy the peacefulness of the night sky. It...helps keep me sane. At least, that is what father told me. He knew what could make me....from losing myself. Forgive me if I gave you a scare, my Queen." He responded before he bowed his head in submission. He bit his lip and knew that somewhere in her, she had to punish him. Katudo deeply closed his eyes as he waited for what happened next.

He flinched a bit before he didn't feel anything but a air around him. The wind was slightly picking up but it wasn't doing any harm to either of them. He wondered what was going through Lillen's head right now.

Lillen looked on to her subject indignantly for a moment, pondering whether or not she believed his words fully then turned her gaze up to the moon. She basked in it's glow for a moment and let the cool night air fill her lungs. He had frightened her, but only momentarily but she wasn't going to tell him that. She tried to remain stoic, a vision of pure beauty and power, though her disheveled hair and robe did not add much to her appearance.

"Your father sounds like an interesting man," she said flatly, turning her focus back to Katudo. She looked the man up and down before commanding, "Put out your hand, palm down." Her voice was stern and cold, her gaze equally as so while she waited for him to comply. Once he did, with one quick movement she raised her arm and slapped the back of his hand, hard. Her gaze did not waver as she bore holes into Katudo's eyes with her own. "Do not go sneaking around this castle any longer, boy. Take this as a warning, for next time I might think you're actually up to something," she rubbed her hands together gingerly, her fingers stinging slightly from the impact, "and next time you will receive much more as punishment." As wind whistled around them, Lillen clung tightly to her robe while a chill ran up her spine. She was definitely not dressed for the night weather and was suddenly very annoyed with that. "Now come inside and make me a cup of tea before I get the guards to punish you for making me come outside in the cold," her demand was sudden as she turned her whole body to face Katudo, there was a trace of a smile on her lips as she joked lightly with him, though she did have half a mind to do it anyway for scaring her.

Katudo flinched from the slap on the hand as he had expected it to be on his face. He was worried now.....the Queen may have given him a spare today, but now, he was on thin ice. He shook his head before he he began to step over to her. "Y-Yes, my queen...forgive me, my queen." He spoke before he began to follow Lillen inside the palace but he immediately went to the kitchen.

Once he arrived, he rubbing his arm. The Queen's Servant bit his lip as his hand had began to sting a bit from the slap. It was something he didn't expect....and her gaze. It frightened him...but maybe he frightened her more than she him. He was beginning to wonder if he could be cut out for this. There would be times that he would be wanting to go outside and she needed to respect that. It's not like he could escape, even if he wanted to. He swore an oath that he would serve her.

Katudo looked to the tea and began to heat up the water a bit while also getting the other ingredients, due to Lillen's remarks about the first one he made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back