• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy "The Queen’s ball is tonight, but with this weather will anyone come?" (I see you creepin’, yes you can still join!)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lanterns and mulled wine would both be incredibly useful in this weather, and as for footwear the boots she wore now would suffice and she said as much. Once they were ready, and loaded with extra furs, she followed him out and to the kitchens where their first set of ordeals played out in an amusingly and not so amusingly repetitive conversation of yes, but are you really certain that you’re certain?

To go through yet another round of it when they reached the stables gnawed on her patience, though she knew they were only doing their job and it was their heads on the line. Regardless their doubt was misplaced, and at this rate there was a high chance of the stranded dropping out cold or even making it to the castle before they even got out past the gatehouse. Finally when the horses were saddled and loaded with the necessary gear, Maris claimed a sturdy, gorgeous looking chestnut with a single ivory sock. To soothe the excited stallion she stroked its arched neck and hummed a few soft bars. Once he was settled, and the reins firmly in hand she planted a foot in the stirrup and swung herself onto the horses’ broad back.

“Might as well save your strength till we’ve gained enough distance for you, besides it would look odd for you to walk while we ride out,” Maris chuckled in response to Vincent’s joke. She patted her horses’ neck once more as he shifted his weight, Maris beckoned to the nearest stable boy and asked for the stallion’s name.

“Solare my lady,” the boy said, his tone surprisingly fierce. “Take care of him, please.”

“I will.” Maris gave him a solemn nod, one hand still pressed to Solare’s neck, then to her two companions. “Ready when you two are.”

With a slight squeeze of her knees she set her horse in motion turning it towards the stable doors but stopping just inside. Even here inside the doorway she felt the wind sink its teeth into her, a small shiver brought on by the cold and anticipation ran down her back. The storm had turned the world an unpleasant slate grey and bitter white, a shoveled path from the stables led to the gates ahead though the snow was already making short work of covering it back up.

Interactions:
quadraxis201 quadraxis201 snowstormspawn snowstormspawn

~Prince Saric~

Saric was always interested in how mysterious, unseen forces created change in the world – a scientific explanation never satisfied the Prince, and so he always dug a little deeper. There was a smirk, hidden by his scarves of course, as Skalden and Leopold discussed all things heretics and heresy. But as the conversation became more serious, Saric almost wished that he could take it back, as he was truly concerned about some of the themes that the two had discussed. The question had been more philosophical than realistic in nature, but to learn that there actually could be a religious group held responsible for the blizzard that was swallowing Hadria? Saric managed a chuckle as Leopold brushed off Skalden’s question. “If you ask me, the Nelaphytes are the most concerning of them all,” he stated. “To believe that faith earned through fear is sincere and desirable – that does require a touch of insanity.” He had heard stories of their horrible acts, a bit like old wife’s tales to scare children into pious obedient behavior. Only the stories could be proven to be true, which made them all that much more terrifying.
“Now, the Ascendants seem like just another form of knowledge seeker to me. And that would be a positive thing, if they were not robbing graves and tombs to obtain what they wanted. We have had many problems with them in Mazamri, where we believe in entombing a body with all that they would require to enjoy the afterlife. In fact I have already planned for all my guards to not follow me into the afterlife, but to guard my tomb after I leave the first life instead. I wouldn’t want my sacred scrolls to be snatched by some thief with delusions of becoming a god,” he rambled as his horse trotted along. Saric spoke so nonchalantly about what would happen when he passed away, but that was only because he sincerely believed that something would follow directly afterward. Such conversations would have to end once he reached the castle, however. His friend Adelina hated when he spoke of his own death this way – perhaps because of her different outlook, but also because she could not imagine losing her friend for eternity.
The ground beneath their horse’s hooves slowly turned from a gravel path a cobblestone, and Saric was delighted at this development. “The hardest part of our journey appears to be over,” he said, his voice colored with joy as the road became slightly steeper. Luckily for the group of riders, and any carriages, the cobblestone tended not to freeze up smoothly enough to cause mobility problems or send anyone sliding down the mountain. Saric considered how the gathered nobility would react to his arrival – surely Adelina, with her kingdom directly adjacent to Hadria, had arrived to the ball on time. As he came from one of the furthest, most exotic lands that Hadria was in communications with, he knew that he would receive a lot of stares and attention, and that it would completely overshadow any of the guests that he was arriving with. The observation was not one made out of arrogance – Saric knew it was the truth, hence his following offer. “Would you two prefer to ride ahead, so you can have your own moment, before everyone begins to realize that I have arrived?” he suggested to the Cardinal and Paladin. “I know that as soon as I step through the doors, the Queen will be so distracted she will not able to see anyone else,” he explained, making expressive hand gestures as he spoke. “I know that I absolutely will be able to meet with her later on, but you should have the opportunity to introduce yourselves first, being all that you endured to attend the Ball in the first place.”

GrieveWriter GrieveWriter

“Of course, Prince Rile. I don’t think there’s an ill thing to say about you, after all. At least, none that I’ve heard.” Charles winked, letting out a chuckle of his own. Amalia could only hope he didn’t get ahold of the wine. If any liquid courage entered his system, it’d be game over for privacy of any sorts. He’s begin singing traditional Lunoran tunes, or humoring guests with tales of his children from their younger days. Even the thought made Amalia shudder.

“I’m sorry to hear about your older brother. I do hope he makes a fast recovery. I simply couldn’t imagine the pain of losing a sibling.” The princess chipped in, her eyes flood with concern. “However, you shouldn’t pay much mind to your family not being able to attend. Many guests arrived here singularly, for their own reasons. What matters is that you made it, especially considering the storm.” She assured, offering a smile. Nodding along with his daughters words, he considered his own very carefully. “You’d be right in assuming. I did bring her here to enjoy the hall of course—after all, it’s an amazing experience for both the young and the old. Nonetheless, I’m not afraid to say I also brought here in the hopes of finding a potential suitor. Would you believe me if I said she’s already turned down twelve? Twelve fine young gentlemen, rejected with no explanation.” Charles muttered, visibly a bit upset.

If he couldn’t find his daughter a husband to help takeover the kingdom, the very future of Lunora could be at stake. “Anywho, I’ll leave you two to chat, yes? I’ve got some catching up to do. It’s been a very longtime since my last ball, and I’d like to see how the other kingdoms are managing.” Charles promptly excused himself, finding company elsewhere.

(interactions)
RayneIlStorm RayneIlStorm

The prince, instead of a restrained chuckle like before, let out a lighthearted laugh. He even pressed a hand against his stomach as though what the other man said was the funniest thing he's heard all night.

"Why, if you haven't found any offensive words against me then you haven't been listening to the latest gossip! That or you're ignoring them. If that's the case then you have the most kind or foolish soul I've ever come to meet." The prince wasn't lying. There were dozens of rumors and gossip floating around and about the young man. There were some that spoke of how promiscuous he is with the ladies, perhaps even with men, or how he's nothing but a terrible man in reality. There are even some rumors where his elder brother's illness was his fault. Rile ignored these, of course. Baseless rumors were just that - baseless, and there wasn't much you could do about them. The best you could do is let them burn themselves out and refuse to give them more fuel.

When he calmed down, Prince Rile turned to Amalia and gave her a grateful smile. "I appreciate the welcomed wishes. It has hit the family quite hard. He's been bedridden for months and it is not easy seeing him like that in his room." For a flash of a second, there was something in his eyes, yet it was gone as fast as it appeared. " And I suppose that you are right about my family not being able to make it. It'd be quite odd if they did come, now that I think upon it. Always busy."

"Oh, and the storm was no problem for when I arrived for I came the earliest I could. Though it is rather chilled in here. I'm not quite used to the cold, considering my country." When he heard King Charles affirm his assumptions, Prince Rile nodded confidently. "This certainly is quite the come-together. I've met with quite a few people thus far, though most of it was empty banter and hollow gossip. Hopefully something more entertaining arrives soon."

"And twelve, you say? That is quite the number! Though I can certainly understand why so many men would like to be wed to such a lovely yellow jasmine such as herself. As golden as the Sun herself." He gave Amalia a fleeting wink before he turned back to the King. When the king spoke of catching up with others, he nodded and stepped aside for the other man to walk past. For a moment, he watched the older man walk off. Then he turned back to the princess with a smile. It was a basic smile with nothing behind it. The smile he gives to everyone.

"So, your father is attempting to wed you off in the name of your country, yes? That is what I assume, anyways. What other reason is there to marry in this world? And you reject twelve of them for no apparent reason? There must be a reason. Nobody does anything without one. Tell me, is it because you are too caught up in a fantasy? or is there somebody that you are too ashamed of revealing?" Tilting his head to the side and touching his cheek with a finger, Prince Rile looked the woman up and down, attempting to find any sudden changes in body language or any other signs that would reveal the truth.

Interaction:
unfortunatelyhomo unfortunatelyhomo

Vincent Hawthorne

"My transformations are not as tiring as you might think they are, Maris. But then again, that may be because I'm used to them." With a sigh, Vincent rubbed the back of his head in slight amusement. "Aside from the descriptions she gave of her homeland, Mother also told me some rather funny stories about young ones transforming for the first time. She's seen plenty of young wolves toppling over like newborn fawns once they shift to a quadrupedal gait, especially during the part where their knees bend the other way, which-- that part only hurts the first few times."

Turning to the last of the three horses that had been outfitted with reigns and a saddle, a male sporting earthy colors of chestnut brown and black, Vincent approached them slowly. The horse seemed mildly afraid of Vincent at first, but when he seemed to sense that the lycan meant him no harm, he permitted Vincent to climb up and seat himself in the saddle. "But, I suppose you have a point. I suppose it would be nice to go for a ride for a change and take the weight off of my legs, if only for a short while."

Vincent looked down at the horse and gently stroked its mane. "Alright, boy. Nice and easy-- over to the others." Just as Maris had done, Vincent gave a simple command using his legs to guide the horse to the stable doors, wherein the bitter chill made itself known. "Frigid as Death's finger..." Vincent noted. "...but, I have faced worse before."

"On your signal." Vincent said to both Wymond and Maris.
Interactions:
Vestige Vestige
snowstormspawn snowstormspawn

Cardinal Leopold and Skalden Cray
c1b2b6e63188a1ada9faa58e502ac106.jpg8378cb2baa765027e70f256ee7fadd2c.jpg
Interaction/ Mention: snowstormspawn snowstormspawn quadraxis201 quadraxis201 Vestige Vestige
Though a subtle action, Skalden's grip loosened on the reins of his mount once they drew close to the castle. While Leopold and Saric continued conversing over the dangers of heretics, the Paladin still had his mission at the forefront of his mind. The safety of the Cardinal came first, he could investigate who was to be put to the sword later. As such, he nodded along with Saric's claim that the most difficult leg of their journey had been surpassed. As they rode before the large gates of the castle, they seemed to open on their own accord for them. As they did so, Leopold leaned to the side as Saric suggested they enter first so he would not overshadow their arrival. At this suggestion, the Cardinal held back a chuckle.

"While there's no need to rush this greeting, I'd feel unmannerly to refuse such a considerate offer." he said as the horse's passed through the gate, glancing to Skalden as they did "What say you, my son?"

Skalden did not answer immediately, instead lowering his head, "Who knows,?" he mused as they were approached by one of the Stable Guards "Given our discussion earlier, perhaps being overshadowed would be preferable."

"Such a dreadful thought, indeed." Leopold mused as he let the Stable Guard guide them towards the stables. Right outside of them, the Cardinal dismounted before making sure to rub his mount appreciatively while requesting they be cared for amicably in return for their service. Though the Stable Guard rolled his eyes, he nodded to the plea altogether. Paladin Cray was less inclined to focus on the exchange, as he noticed others at the stable besides the guards. He initially assumed they were other guests, but quickly found that they were readying steeds to leave.

Giving one last glance to the Cardinal as he waved goodbye to the steed whilst leaning against his staff, Skalden slid off his own horse and approached the stable. Inside he spotted more evidence to them leaving the castle rather than arriving, and so folded his arms before calling out to them.

"The weather's not about to subsist, the snow grows denser by the second." he spoke out to them before pointing towards the gate "But if you lot are still planning on venturing out, may I request that you inform any you find wearing masks similar to mine that the Cardinal reached his destination safely?"

It was a worry that he'd not thought about until just when they neared the Castle. With the Cardinal in a relatively safer position, Skalden had realized that any of the Lokhen Knights still lost out there had no idea where he was. They all knew where he was to go, but had no idea if he'd been taken by the snow or not. It would be one thing if they ventured to the castle on their own or found somewhere to hunker down, but what if they were out looking for him? He needed to stay by his grace's side at the moment, unable to make the journey to search for his fellow holy warriors. But if these folks were going out anyway, the least he could do was inform them.

"Making friends already, my son?" Cardinal Leopold chittered as he approached, adjusting his mask as he drew near "Such enthusiasm is smiled upon by more than just the divine, I'll have you know."

Though he chuckled, the moment he looked inside his gaze immediately snapped towards a familiar face, "Sir Wymond?"

Taking a moment to look back towards the still open front gates of the castle, Leopold nodded to himself as he looked back "Ah, so I assume those gates were opening for you rather than us." he mused whilst drumming his fingers on his staff "I see, I see."

(Much better now)

~Sir Wymond~
Wymond nodded along to Maris' response to Vincent - he completely agreed. "Once you have shifted to your alternate form, I will attach your horse by the bridle to my own to lead it along. We will have it carry the wine and the cloaks, and then any stranded guests we come across," he explained. "When we ride out with these horses, you will see what makes them so special," Wymond added with a slight smile as he pulled himself up and into the saddle of his horse. "They have been trained to be extremely calm, even under stressful circumstances. They are extremely resilient, and they never spook," the guard stated proudly.
He followed Lady Maris to the doors of the stable on his horse, frowning at the bitter cold sensation on his face as he pulled the hood of his cloak over his head. "If we come across any citizens we will pass the word along that once the snow clears, they can find well-paid work shoveling the roads," he thought aloud. "Let's hope the snow does not get to deep by the time we need to return. If it does, we may have to find shelter in the village."

As he looked down the hill, Wymond thought that he could see movement in the distance, but it was hard to tell as the majority of the horses were quite light in color. And yet, the multi-colored lanterns that the group carried told him that it was, more than likely, Prince Saric and his entourage who had arrived from Mazamri. Though he was surprised that at the head of the group were two strange riders dressed in black robes, with golden masks... Lokhens.

He watched in silence as the two men, a cardinal and paladin from the looks of it, were assured that they would inform any stranded men dressed in similar clothing of their safe arrivals at the castle. The guard's head snapped in Cardinal Leopold's direction as he spoke his name. There was a slight smile at the mention of the gates opening for them. "They would have had to open the gates sooner than later," he replied, his sense of humor finally showing itself. Having lost both of his parents to the plague, Wymond appreciated the Lokhens and all the work that they had done finding a cure. If he had to choose any religious guests to invite to the ball himself, they would be at the top of the list. "Welcome back to Hadria," he said, also nodding towards Skalden in greeting.

He tugged on his horse's reigns, and it began quickly trotting down the road from the castle, not a full gallop quite yet as he was not sure how much the roads had iced up. It only took a few second for him to reach the entourage headed by Prince Saric, quietly instructing his horse to halt in front of the group. He was not used to seeing the Prince of Mazamri bundled up in scarves and fabrics like an out-of-use piece of furniture, but of course there had to be a bejeweled ensemble hidden underneath. "Glad to find that you have arrived safely at the castle, your highness. But your entourage is quite small this year. Are they stranded somewhere as well?" he asked, thinking that the Prince may be able to give them a lead if it were the case.

"My men are safe on the ship," Prince Saric replied. "We only took what we felt was most necessary, and they have messenger falcons and orders to turn back to Mazamri if the weather becomes too cold to bear," he explained.
"Very well," Wymond replied. "We won't hold you back. Enjoy the celebration," he said over his shoulder as he continued on his way down the road. The guard stopped his horse once more just as they had made it out of sight of the castle and its staff, turning to Vincent once he and Maris had also stopped their horses. "You can change now," he shouted over the howling winds that enveloped them. "We're out of sight of the castle. No one will know about it when you return."
quadraxis201 quadraxis201 Vestige Vestige GrieveWriter GrieveWriter

Last edited:
Vincent Hawthorne

Vincent turned his head towards Wymond when he explained how he would couple Vincent's horse to his own once the lycan was in the clear to shapeshift, that the other horse would be used to carry supplies when that happened, and that the horses trained to be not afraid of just about anything. "The horses have nerves of steel, you say? Good to know. That will work quite nicely."

Vincent's attention was grabbed by an entourage approaching the stables from the base of the hill, indicated by colored lanterns. It was when Vincent saw who was in said entourage that he tensed up-- a Cardinal and Paladin of the Lokhen Church. As could perhaps be expected from a lycanthrope like Vincent, he didn't see himself as being on the best terms with churches.

The Paladin seemed polite enough when he made his request to inform any other golden-mask-wearers that the Cardinal had arrived safe and sound, but Vincent still felt he had a right to be wary. Human churches, at least what Vincent had gathered on his travels, had a tendency to be anything but shy about demonizing Vincent's kin and called them 'unholy' and 'wolves amongst a flock of sheep'. It was because of such demeaning titles that, when Vincent wished to pray, he would do so in a secluded room in the Black Lions' headquarters rather than participating in a mass in a church like his fellow mercenaries would.

In any case, Vincent composed himself and turned his head towards Skalden. "I do not fear snow, however strong it is. Although, I do appreciate your concern, Paladin. As you request, we will indeed tell the others your Cardinal has completed his journey to Queen Adrienne's castle."

Once Wymond had begun venturing out into the cold, Vincent decided to do the same. "The three of us are looking to see if anyone is stranded in the blizzard and get them to safety. I am on a protection contract myself, to ensure the Ball goes as planned, and... if attendance proves to be too low, the Ball may very well not happen, hence why I am coming along. Once our search has concluded, we shall return here. Until I see you next." He explained to Skalden and Leopold with a firm nod. Vincent and his horse traveled carefully along the path behind Wymond and his own mount, who stopped at another entourage, this one belonging to the Prince of Mazamri. After the two of them exchanged a few words, the rescue team was officially on their way. "Be safe, Prince of Mazamri." Vincent stated rather simply as he and his horse passed Saric to follow Wymond.

Once the trio was out of the sightline of the castle, Wymond gave Vincent the metaphorical green light to change, something that put a slight grin on his face. "Excellent..." Vincent stopped his horse, and with a fairly acrobatic move, Vincent closed his eyes, stood on top of the horse's saddle, and backflipped into the air as the whipping winds tugged at his coat like invisible phantoms.

In a matter of what seemed like a second or less, Vincent's form fluidly shifted as he landed on all fours. Where once there was a mercenary upon a horse, there was now a very large wolf with fur as dark as ebony and eyes the color of pure emeralds. "Much better. Now then, where were we? Ah, of course..." Vincent's voice had become slightly more low-pitched and gruff as a result of his transition into his beast form. He raised his snout upwards and began to take in all manner of scents. Before long, Vincent pointed in a singular direction with one of his front paws. "Once you attach the horse to yours, we should go that way. I sense a horse with... traces of wood in there, too-- likely a carriage."

Interactions:

“Oh, well that makes sense, the more you do it the more your body adjusts,” Maris’s thoughtful hum turned into a soft bark of laughter at the mention of children. “I can imagine, it must be quite the sight to see little ones shape shift. I’d like to hear more of her homeland and your people at some point if you are willing. From what you’ve told us your description of it does not match up with the scant information I’ve come across which, I’m certain you’re aware of, is sadly unsurprising.”

She smiled at Wymonds boast of the horses, and she had to agree they were magnificent beasts and was eager to see how they handled such conditions. Once Vincent was astride his mount Maris once again directed Solare to make room for their companions. No sooner had she done this that two gold and sable clad figures made their way through the gates and inside the stable. Lokhen clergymen, and only two of them? Not a good omen. Her concern was proven true when the paladin approached with word on the storm and a request.

Her gaze flicked towards the Cardinal who rattled off a quick word in Whildenese she didn’t quite catch as a gust of wind whipped through the stable doors. He seemed a cheery sort, not what she expected of a man of Lokh, though she supposed their severe masks didn’t help soften such base impressions. When Wymond had finished speaking with the Cardinal, Maris dipped her head and shoulders in a bow to the two holy men as she passed. “Enjoy your much deserved rest.”

With a light kick she set Solare into a trot after Wymond, then pressing him into a canter to catch up. Further along the road she saw a line of snow dimmed lights that proved to be the entourage of Prince of Mazamri struggling on the snowy road but progressing nonetheless. They left the Mazamri prince and his attendants, swathed and swaddled in many rich but not nearly heavy enough fabrics, to finish the rest of their snow bitten trek to the castle. Beyond the sight of Prince Saric’s entourage and the castle she reigned in her horse and turned to Vincent. She plucked up his dropped reins when he stood, and leaped from his horse.

“Remarkable,” Maris muttered, the sound drowned by the wind, as she stared at the massive wolf before them. He was much larger than she expected, and the difference in his voice probably should not have surprised her as much as it did. She shook off her fascination and passed on the reins of the third horse to Wymond for him to secure.

With snapping wind, and bitter cold finding every opening, Maris looked in the direction that Vincent pointed. “Now the real fun begins. Hopefully who you scent is Prince Owen and his companions.”

Interactions:
quadraxis201 quadraxis201 snowstormspawn snowstormspawn GrieveWriter GrieveWriter

Owen.jpgGarl did not much like the healer´s attitude. Treat a captain of the knights and protector of royalty like a stupid mule? The Prince might not have noticed, or perhaps thought it was an innocent idea, but Garl was not the sort of man that took an insult lightly. Smiling in a nastily friendly way, he locked his arm around the younger man´s shoulders and shook him vehemently. "Of course, I would be happy to lend you my aid! Allow me!"

What followed was some minutes of industrious work, where Garl pushed the heaviest tasks onto Marcel, where he took over the more technical ones. It was obvious that repairing a cart was not something unknown to the captain, and perhaps neither was punishing someone´s words by having them exercise. Still, after the work was done, the carriage seemed somewhat better prepared for the journey ahead. The wheels were in place, and some of the horses were attached to it. A couple of them would have to be left behind, but the Prince´s safety took priority over two animals regardless of their pedigree. Garl decided the Prince, his two companions and the healer would travel in the carriage, safe from the weather, while he and another knight rode on top to guide the horses, and the last two rode ahead of the carriage, holding lamps. As he explained, the lamps would ensure the carriage did not leave the road by mistake, since any strange movement on their part would indicate trouble and be the cue for the carriage to stop.

He invited the Prince, Marcel, Dollan and Riff to board the carriage before climbing onto the driver´s bench, together with another knight. As the four to ride inside climbed onto the seats (fairly plush and marginally comfortable despite their being so worn by time, not to mention use). It was at this moment when Marcel could see that Owen´s companions were not, despite their age, unarmed. The two commoners carried a dagger under their heavy coats, which remained hidden but well within easy reach should they need them. That was a good indication of how much the Prince trusted them, nevermind the captain of the knights.

Inside the carriage, they could hear the stable doors open. The alarming thing was the total lack of light. Despite it being not long for lunch time, the sun was clearly obscured by the weather. The only light came from the lamps set onto the carriage´s corners. And as the group set out into the blizzard, the light was greatly diminished...

Cardinal Leopold and Skalden Cray
Interaction/ Mention: snowstormspawn snowstormspawn quadraxis201 quadraxis201 Vestige Vestige
c1b2b6e63188a1ada9faa58e502ac106.jpg8378cb2baa765027e70f256ee7fadd2c.jpg
Skalden didn't show it due in part to his impassive mask and stiff stature, but the small affirmations from Wymond's travelling companions did lighten the worry he'd been hefting. Though not a perfect solution by any stretch of the definition, having some people out there able and willing to inform his fellow holy warriors would be good enough. During this, he could focus his efforts on the Cardinal's safety with less doubt. Though his mask hid this, he closed his eyes and gave a quiet breath of relief before glancing over to Cardinal Leopold. He was waving the small party off as they out, pausing as they spoke to Prince Saric and turning back to Skalden with a subtle nod towards the door.

"Wouldn't want to keep the Prince waiting on us." he said quickly in Whildenese before making his way toward the great doors of the castle.

Huffing, Skalden followed behind him, the two trudging through what snow had built up before the doors until the Paladin gestured for Leopold to stop. Though he was clearly not a fan of stopping so close to the door itself, the Cardinal acquiesced as Skalden pushed open the doors for him. For Leopold, the sight of the ballroom laid out before him was as relaxing as it was invigorating. After so long studying secluded within the Citadel, he was finally back in his element. But as he strode forward, Paladin Cray was having extremely different reaction to the scene before him. Now that the threats of the outside were being pushed away, the threats within the castle were all the more apparent. His job wasn't over even as they strode into the castle's comparative warmth, not by a long shot.

As Cardinal Leopold brushed himself off at the top of the stairs, Skalden took it upon himself to inform a nearby attendant of his arrival. The attendant nodded before proclaiming as much to the assembled crowd, many of which Leopold waved to as he made his descent down the stairs. Once he reached the bottom, he noted Skalden pulling him close and whispering in Whildenese.

"Keep close, we find the Queen and give our greetings then let Saric draw the crowd." Skalden ordered as he cast a not so subtle look of suspicion to all those around them.

Leopold glanced back to him with a scoff, "I'd suggest relaxing somewhat, my son. It would do neither of us any good if my only escort were to fall ill from his concern."

"Father... I insist." Skalden turned to him, causing Leopold to sigh as he began making his way through the crowd.

"Very well, I suppose holding up the Prince would be distasteful anyway." Leopold shrugged.

With that he began making his way to the other side of the room, seeking the Queen. Of course, he paused occasionally to greet dignitaries and nobles he was familiar with, but he always insisted they talk later at Skalden's behest. For his part, the Paladin seemed even more concerned than when they were out in the Storm, now looking surveying their surroundings constantly as he kept to the Cardinal. He was ready to spring into action at a moment's notice, much to the Cardinal's visible displeasure. But it wasn't as though Leopold didn't understand his concern given the scenario, it just made his return to the social graces of foreign affairs less ingratiating than he hoped.

Yet Leopold was not one to let such a thing ruin what was to be a grand night not just for him, but many more. He kept his head held high, his grip on his staff taut, and his strides eager and confident.

It wasn't as though locating the Queen was a challenge, Leopold had enough experience on the scene to know that one merely follow the largest congregation of nobles straight to the host of any event. Such intuition was rewarded when he spotted the assembly surrounding the Royal, a few of them sporting faces he knew greatly as well. But keeping Skalden and Prince Saric in mind, Leopold approached the Queen with no small amount of joyful fervor.

"Ah, Queen Adrienne, in the flesh!" he greeted with a gesture of his staff "Finally, I was under the impression that I would not be able to look upon either you or this wonderous assembly."

Seeing that Leopold was in his element, Skalden folded his arms and gave some space for him whilst keeping a watchful eye on those around them. The Cardinal was undeterred, and placed a hand over his heart before giving a small bow.

"Only your celebrations would be worth battling the very wrath of nature itself, your majesty." Leopold noted with a small chuckle before standing straight and drumming his fingers along his staff "It would seem many of your esteemed guests are of a similar frame of mind."

After a quick look over those with her, made sure to bring a finger to the forehead of his mask, "The High Lady sends her regards."

~Markolf & Adelina~

When asked how the journey to the castle had gone for him and his family, Markolf smiled warmly. “Actually, this is exactly what I wanted to speak with you on, Your Majesty. The roads are quite worn down, chipped up, cracking, and overgrown,” he explained. “It was a bumpy ride at times, and while our carriage was able to pass being that it is built for long distances and tough to travel roads, an ordinary merchant’s wagons may have trouble.”

The Queen nodded solemnly. “Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Well, since you will be staying the night, why don’t we plan on a conference tomorrow at noon? The planners of such projects are present at the castle already to hear out the concerns of the traveling guests – the annual event is a great way to affirm that travel to and from Hadria moves like it should from all angles,” she explained. “We could postpone it to late noon, as well, if you feel like celebrating late into the night, as you should,” Adrienne added with a proud smile.

“Thank you, Your Majesty. Late afternoon would be the perfect time to discuss this with them,” Markolf said, taking a bow before he excused himself and his sister, who took a step to the side to allow the next guest to have a word with the Queen.

“Tell me, sister, why do you happen to help me all of a sudden?” Markolf asked once out of immediate earshot, his expression curious at first, but then it turned suspicious. “Let me guess, you need something.”
Adelina smiled sweetly. “Actually, Markolf, I have been reading up on this new strategy that will help me to resolve my struggles with spirits,” she replied. “It’s called the Twelve Tiers. Tier eight of twelve is to create a list of all the people I have harmed through my actions, and become willing to make amends. This is tier nine: make direct amends to these people whenever possible.”
Markolf blinked in confusion, and his mouth opened as he began to speak again, but the Prince held his tongue as two men in black robes and golden masks approached the Queen to speak with her.
“Who are these strange fellows?” he asked in hushed Westfalian.
Sons of Lokh,” Adelina replied, carefully folding her arms. “Father said they came to the castle when we were born, and to offer their condolences for mother.” She sighed. “I suppose you must have been to young to remember that, being just two years of age and all.”
Markolf nodded. “Must have been that way,” he agreed, seeming to suddenly have forgotten about pressing the Princess on why she was suddenly so kind to him.

~Adrienne~

Queen Adrienne seemed surprised to lay eyes on the two Whildenese travelers, but in fact she was more surprised by the small number of their kind. An empathetic smile overtook her expression as the Cardinal greeted her, as she thought about how difficult the journey must have been considering the mountains that divided Whilden from the remainder of the continent. The Queen smiled in response to Leopold’s compliments, giving a slight nod when he informed her that the High Lady sent her regards.

“And I am happy to welcome her emissaries on her behalf, as always. Please give her my regards when you return to her,” Adrienne responded with a warm smile. There was a slight frown as she decided on how to word the question of what had happened to the rest of the Cardinal’s group. “I dread to learn the answer, but you usually bless us with quite a few more of your colleagues, the knights among them,” she began. “I would find it very unfortunate if something had happened to them along the way. Did you run into Sir Wymond when you arrived at the gate? He and his search party just left to search for any guests who became stranded in the snow. I am sure that if they are able in this weather, they will make their way in the direction from whence you came and help them. Sir Wymond gave me his word,” the Queen assured.

“I will pray for their safe arrival here, as well. And if they have to turn back to kinder weather and return to Whilden, I shall take no offense. Their safety comes first,” she stated. “In the meantime, please let my servants know if there is anything you need, and if you would like to have a specific space in the castle for any rituals that you must do. They have been instructed to help all the guests with whatever they can,” the Queen smiled.

~Sir Wymond~

Wymond was impressed by the scents Vincent could already catch as soon as he shifted into his wolf form, so much so that this change seemed not to drastically phase the guard. The fact that the horses were adequately trained not to react unfavorably was very fortunate - in the past he'd had encounters with wild wolves on horseback that had almost led to the animal throwing him off or galloping full-speed in the opposite direction. He led his own horse closer to what had been Vincent's, carefully taking the reins from Maris and fastening it by the bridle to his own horse to lead it along through the blizzard. The man nodded when Vincent suggested that they ride in that exact direction. "That's the direction of the village," he explained, lowering his voice slightly as they had reached a place where the winds were slightly calmer. "If that were the case, then we may be surprised that they are even closer than we expect."

As Wymond looked into the distance, every shape he could gather seemed to blur together in the white and grey. "Lead the way, Vincent," he said. He directed his horse to follow along behind the wolf as he tracked the scent through the heavy snowfall. How Vincent was doing this, Wymond did not know - some things just could not be explained. But, if it could help them find who they were looking for he was all for it. The man preferred to stay on the move, and fast - as long as the scenery blurred together, he would not be taken back in memory to the fallen soldiers following a winter battle, laying perfectly still as the sky covered them in a thick blanket of white. He hoped that the state of peace between Hadria and the surrounding kingdoms would be preserved for as long as he lived, so that he and his future children would never have to endure what he had endured after the deaths of his parents. He wondered about his brother, who now was a priest in the Northern part of Hadria their family originated from. Was he also caught in a winter storm? There were so many questions, but Wymond pushed them down and kept his eyes on the path ahead.

quadraxis201 quadraxis201 Vestige Vestige

Vincent Hawthorne

"Perhaps at another time, I will speak more on the matter of Illtharon..." Vincent said to Maris, turning his head towards her. "...when we don't have to worry about anyone contracting hypothermia in this hellish weather. And, thank you... at least some humans are capable of recognition." It was a bit difficult for Vincent to smile as a wolf, but if he could, he would.

Wymond had mentioned that the direction Vincent had pointed to led to the village, and this intrigued him. "If what you say is true, about them being closer than we initially thought, then all the better for us. I will gladly accept simplicity." At the Guard Captain's request for the lycan to lead the way, Vincent closed his eyes and let out a noise that was supposed to be a soft chuckle, but came out like a very strange growl thanks to his current form. "As you wish. Just... make sure you can keep up."

With that, Vincent darted forward as his powerful nose followed the scent trail, his four strong legs carrying him as he raced through the snowfall like a black blur.

Interactions:
Vestige Vestige

“Oh come now this seems like a fine time and place for an in depth conversation,” Maris fired back at Vincent with a laugh. The thought of making idle conversation let alone something more in depth involving a culture she had no knowledge of in the midst of a raging storm was incredibly amusing. Had Maris been more like her sister, she probably would’ve insisted on talking any second there was a lull in conversation no matter the situation, Alana could never handle the quiet, especially in unfamiliar situations or in the company of strangers. She prayed Alana and the others were well, and hoped that by the time all this business with the ball and the storm was over Maris would be with them and if fate would have it her sister’s newborn.

Maris woke from her familial thoughts quickly at Vincent’s wry comment, she grinned and snorted as he charged off, “He’s lucky this is a dire situation or I’d run him into the ground given a challenge like that.”

She urged Solare after Vincent with a light kick of her heels. It was impressive how well the horses plowed through the wind and snow. Their broad feet steady on the blanketed road and keeping a decent pace behind the massive wolf that loped at the head of their little group. Maris squinted ahead into the wind thrashed snow. She could hardly make out anything save for vague, greyed shapes until they were nearly atop it. At some point she took a moment to twist and get a look over her shoulder at the castle, its towering structure gone, wholly consumed by the storm. Keeping as close to Vincent’s tail as possible Maris wondered how far the storm reached and whether they would be so lucky as to find prince Owen in the village ahead. How were he and his companions holding up? She only knew the prince from what she’d heard, having had very little interaction with him or the princess, that he was incredibly intelligent for his age and reserved to a marked degree. If he and his attendants were in the village, why hadn’t they took to the road and forged on as Prince Saric had? Perhaps his guards were over cautious, or perhaps there had been some other delay, whatever the case, what mattered most right now was keeping and eye on the road and another on Vincent.

Interactions:
quadraxis201 quadraxis201 snowstormspawn snowstormspawn

“It’s fortunate that we both made it to the ball safely. I’m glad you arrived unharmed as well,” she said, “I hope all who are stranded can arrive safely themselves.”. “As for the situation with my duchy,” she continued, “Your condolences are greatly appreciated”.

“I do hope everything is well in your lands. I have heard quite nice things about the agriculture in that region,”

“That’s quite the humorous story your father has told you. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard that saying prior.”

As Lady Beaumont, replied kindly to Walter's words, relief filled him. Watching her it was clear, she wasn't judgmental or seeking to get him the event of one of his personal flubs. Indeed, she seemed sweet and kind with a very diplomatic air. With a sigh of relief, Walter felt some tension leave him as she mentioned his father kindly. Though unconscious, the sight of his father, the man he most cared for and desired to live well, being chewed out by a neighboring duke for a series of minor infractions mostly from inexperience and lack of knowledge regarding recent court trends had imprinted itself on the expectations and mind of Walter.

Here, she had the decency to compliment him on a number of things from his attempt at a condolence for the men who were hurt, no one deserved that, to sending a kind word toward his home and complimenting his father. It was honestly a little overwhelming to Walter who never expected a true noble to treat him that way. It was one thing for a up and coming knight like Cassandra to seem kind. But Lady Beaumont? From the wealthy and prosperous Beaumon region? Not even thought of....

So though relief came, so to did wordlessness as the Lady smiled slightly at him. Flumoxed for a response, Walter turned his head away from the kindhearted lady and scratched his neck as he tried to hide the shock on his face which likely failed considerably given his track record....He collected himself with a breath and turned back to look down at her dress avoiding her eyes again hoping that the smile he remembered hadn't been replaced with a grimace and if so, to be remembered for the rarity it was.

"Thank you my lady. I am extremely humbled by your kind words and am grateful for what you've said. Though my lands are somewhat small, they are a prosperous region. Food is still in need in this country and we have worked so hard, very hard, to make sure our lands are well cared for both by the people and for the kingdom. I can still remember the harvests with the sun setting on the golden fields of wheat. Father working hard to help the farmers get the harvest in before winter sets in. Wheat, as far as the eye can see......its a beautiful land....with a beautiful people......"

By this point, Walter had turned his gaze past her looking into the distance to remember the shining sun, the hills of golden wheat and the lowing of the animals. The sight of the harvest coming in, the smell of the fruits and the threshing floor, the sight of his father meticulously counting the grain to allocate savings for this winter and upcoming winters in a storage place. The shaken hands of deals done to happy farmers so thankful for the generosity and leadership of his father. He would always, always remember the smiles. One of which had found its way onto his face.

However, he realized that it wouldn't do to reminisce and leave the Lady waiting. So, having gotten a bit of courage seeing the fields of Blackwood in his mind, he turned back to the Lady.

"You know my Lady. My Father had another saying that he loved to teach me from a young age. At the heart of every good leader, is love. Love for your people. He used to say, look at the eyes. They'll tell you what you love. When I look at your eyes, I see that you love your land. So I would ask you, what do you love about your lands?"

Interactions:
kath1839

Last edited:
Vincent Hawthorne

Vincent heard Maris' insistence for more information on Illtharon, and was quick to take it as a joke. "At the very least, your ability to find humor at times like these is... well, it certainly isn't a bad thing. My fellow mercenaries could learn a thing or two from you."

While the lycan continued to follow the trail, he began to ponder what he would discuss next with Maris. There was the obvious choice of Illtharon's own castle and its inhabitants, but then a thought occurred to Vincent-- if he had spoken of the lycanthrope village and how Maris would certainly be welcome to visit them, he would be remiss if he didn't mention the werewolves, too. They were always hungry, and never welcoming of guests unless they had a death wish-- or if they had brought a cart or three of fresh meat, either one worked for them. That said, their settlements were also kept at a very safe distance from the marked paths of Illtharon as decreed by the land's king, but those who sought adventure and exploration often did not know this, and met some... rather unfortunate ends.

Still, Maris had brought up the idea of meeting Prince Owen, and this had Vincent intrigued. Now that he was in his wolf form, this was another chance for Hadrian royalty to see how helpful his kind could be. Although... if memory served, wasn't Owen rather young? Vincent hoped to himself that he wouldn't accidentally spook him.

Interactions:
Vestige Vestige
Saavedra Saavedra (Mention)

Last edited:
- Duchess Elizabeth -

As their conversation continued, Elizabeth could tell some of Lord Blackwood’s tension and unease had left him. She was grateful that he had seemed to become much more comfortable in their conversation. He; however, did seem a bit surprised, as if he hadn’t expected their conversation to be as pleasant as it had been.

Elizabeth listened as Lord Blackwood began to describe his lands. She could tell from his words how much he cared for them and their people. He was extremely genuine, especially compared to some of the other noblemen she’d met throughout the night. She watched as Lord Blackwood seemed to stare past her, presumably remembering more of his lands. Elizabeth found this incredibly admirable, he was the kind of person she had hoped to ally her duchy with, a man who cared genuinely for the wellbeing of his subjects.

Elizabeth listened as the Lord began to tell her of another of his father’s sayings.

"You know my Lady. My Father had another saying that he loved to teach me from a young age. At the heart of every good leader, is love. Love for your people. He used to say, look at the eyes. They'll tell you what you love. When I look at your eyes, I see that you love your land. So I would ask you, what do you love about your lands?"

What she loved about her lands? She had been taught, ever since childhood, that it was a leader’s duty to do whatever she must to protect her lands and people. But, further, than that, she had seen the beauty of her lands and the beauty in her people through her own eyes. She had seen what made them worth protecting. She smiled fondly at the Lord before answering his question.

“Although not without its flaws, Beaumont is a beautiful place. In wintertime, the Northern Mountains become covered with snow. It looks as if they have been dusted in white, and when the sun breaks over the mountains, although it does begin to melt the snow, it casts a beautiful glow over everything. Its people are hardworking, generous, and kind. They have united together through many a struggle. It’s a land where neighbors care for each other. It is a shame my lands have been threatened recently. These are a people who deserve much better.”

Her face fell slightly, her people truly deserved so much better than what had happened to them. This just reminded her of what she was here to do, what she had to do to protect her duchy.

Looking back up at Lord Blackwood, she said, “I can see in your eyes, your love for your lands and people.” Taking a breath in, she hoped that what she was about to say would be well received, and not come off as the naive idea of a woman with little political experience. “Lord Blackwood”, she continued, “Although I myself have very little knowledge of the formation of trade deals and alliances, I believe that perhaps, an alliance between our lands could prove to be mutually beneficial. And if you would so wish, upon my return home, I can speak to my father and elder brother about opening up conversation with you and your father.”

Of course, she knew her offer was rushed, and not at all well fleshed out. But, her desperate need for a solution to her duchy’s problems, combined with Lord Blackwood’s genuine care for his people had convinced her that the idea was a good one. And in any case, this is what her family had wanted, an alliance or marriage with another nobleman, so she could only continue to hope Lord Blackwood would not find her offer simply the rushed and uneducated thoughts of a sheltered noblewoman.

Taking another deep breath in, Elizabeth relaxed her hand that she had been gripping the skirts of her dress with, and looked back up at the Lord’s face, hoping to see any indication of his reception to her suggestion.

Interactions: startergomer startergomer

“Although not without its flaws, Beaumont is a beautiful place. In wintertime, the Northern Mountains become covered with snow. It looks as if they have been dusted in white, and when the sun breaks over the mountains, although it does begin to melt the snow, it casts a beautiful glow over everything. Its people are hardworking, generous, and kind. They have united together through many a struggle. It’s a land where neighbors care for each other. It is a shame my lands have been threatened recently. These are a people who deserve much better.”

As Lord Blackwood watched Lady Beaumont's eyes he could tell she was being honest. She really did seem to both love and care for her people and lands. And the way she described the snow. Ahhhh you could almost see it. Now, snow on the fields and plans of Blackwood may be but a faint comparison but one could see the same love of the glow.

“I can see in your eyes, your love for your lands and people.”

Oh??

Here Walter snapped back. She was looking at his eyes to?

“Lord Blackwood”, she continued, “Although I myself have very little knowledge of the formation of trade deals and alliances, I believe that perhaps, an alliance between our lands could prove to be mutually beneficial. And if you would so wish, upon my return home, I can speak to my father and elder brother about opening up conversation with you and your father.”

Hmm.....

He thought quickly as she looked up at his face. Sadly, his face was only showing a mixture of mild surprise, care, and mild concern at the young lady. He honestly wasn't sure if it came off a little serious. However,......the need to speak as she looked so nervous and helpless lead to his thoughts tumbling out of his head.....

"Hmmm.....Well, I'm not sure a conversation with my father in this case is prudent...ummm...this is actually my first ball as the new Lord of the Blackwood region. My father passed the position to me a year ago after leading us through the threat of the plague, quite a serious thing.....Actually this is my first ball altogether, and you'd probably know that. So I'd be able to make whatever deals myself.........A trade deal though....yes that could work......My father wanted the Blackwood region to find buyers for its surplus of grain. We usually export large amounts of it to gain money to buy tools, equipment, finished goods, and anything produced or needed by farms and farmers. We're mostly farmers.....

Yes, with the Beaumont lands being so industrial and having such industry there would surely be a demand for wheat. They'd pay good money to....and we have loads of workers to spare. Farmers never want in lads ready to join up at the first sign of trouble......I'm certain we could work something out. Only thing is.....I've never signed any deal like this before either. I assumed whoever bought our produce would understand the formalities........though that's no problem....we could probably find a lawyer to write it out.....I'm not sure where we would find the parchment though, I'm only here with two guards and some gifts for the queen......"

At this point, Walter realized he had somehow began to lean on a nearby chair and was thinking over the idea out loud.

Whoops.

"My apologies Lady Beaumont. 'he bowed again' I didn't mean any disrespect. I would be happy to sign an alliance. Blackwood needs an industrial partner and buyer of our produce as well as a supplier for our equipment. I promise to give you a fair deal in the actual terms. And I'm very much able to sign something right here, as the new Lord of Blackwood. Though, 'Walter glanced around', I'm not sure what the protocol is. We can go to a room to write out the deal, maybe find some parchment or a good lawyer. Though if you want me to write it out, I can do something. I've read enough merchant's paperwork to understand some simple methods used by my province in dealmaking though I'm not sure it would uphold your standards. Though if that is not acceptable, I realize a deal like this could be rushed, so if you want, I would be willing to travel with my father to your lands to make a deal in person if you so desire.

Also, I'm not sure what you plan on doing this evening. I think we are free to......party....'a quick grimace came through'...late into the night if we desire. Whatever your schedule may require, I can work around that 'carefully avoid getting invited to such late night frivolity, early to bed early to rise as they say'. I am free to sign a deal later if you desire to eat first. I myself haven't had much to eat and was hoping to eat something at some point. I don't mind working first though, business comes first and all, but if you desire to eat something I would be happy to keep you company. Whatever my lady desires." 'my lady? was that right? ah well'

Interactions
kath1839

~Sir Wymond~

As Sir Wymond followed along behind Vincent, he thought about how fortunate it was that he and Maris seemed to have a similar sense of humor. He himself did not make jokes often – there was scarcely any room for that in his profession. And though neither of them knew Vincent all too well, they did get along well enough, and he had strong faith in their solidity as a team.

When it came to finding Prince Owen though, Wymond knew that the most fortunate outcome would be that they would find him either in or near the village. They would certainly be doing a lot of asking around – the prince in accompaniment of the royal knights would be hard to miss. He knew that the Queen was depending on him now more than she had ever before, and Wymond did not want to let Adrienne down. To guard her and her family was a privilege, as he had looked up to her as a princess before she was Queen, and she had given him the life he had today. The question was, if they came across Prince Owen and he was on his way back to the castle, would he escort him back or continue on his way to the mountains and search for the lost Whildenese knights and brothers? He wrestled morally with this question – after all, if the Prince was safe and on his way home, he would not really need him, would he? He decided that he would ask Owen himself what to do when he found him – the boy was wise beyond his years and was able to judge for himself whether the knights who guarded him were enough to escort him back to the castle.

As they neared the village, they passed rolling hills and isolated barns, where no doubt all the animals were being sheltered. Wymond thought it strange to be taking such a long ride through a snowstorm – during winters he typically remained in the castle, and that was that. But actually experiencing the storm was far, far different from observing it from the safety of the castle. This was a very strange blizzard indeed, and as his horse galloped through the fields he slowly came to the realization that instead of blowing from north to south, or east to west, the storm seemed to be moving almost in a circle, like the sand devils from Prince Saric’s homeland. He wondered if Vincent and Maris had noticed this strange trend, but decided not to mention it until far later – after all they had much more pressing matters to think about.

quadraxis201 quadraxis201 Vestige Vestige Saavedra Saavedra

- Duchess Elizabeth -

Elizabeth watched Lord Blackwood’s face as he thought over her idea. He looked surprised, and a little bit concerned. This didn’t appear at all to be a good sign. Perhaps he thought her proposal much too forward, or herself to be a bit mad in the head. She; however, was broken out of her nerves when Lord Blackwood began to speak.

He spoke quickly, almost as if he was thinking out loud. He went over the possibilities of their trade deal. From what she’d heard from him, Blackwood was in need of industry and needed buyers for the grain they produced. What he’d said was good, it seemed as if a deal between their lands would be beneficial to both of them. He also suggested finding a lawyer to write up the deal, or simply doing it himself. All together, Lord Blackwood seemed very amiable to the idea.

Thinking over all she’d heard, Elizabeth said, “I’m sure Beaumont would be able to be the industrial partner and buyer Blackwood requires, Beaumont could certainly make use of grain imports,” continuing she said, “unfortunately, I myself will not be able to sign a deal into effect, it will need the approval of my family. Perhaps, it would be best if we wrote a proposal down, which I could take back to my father upon my return home. Of course, as long as that is agreeable to you. Just as well, I have no problem if you would like to write out the deal yourself, but if you believe it to be preferable I would attempt to find a lawyer to assist with the process. ”

“Certainly”, she continued quickly, “I do not mean to rush you into planning an agreement, with the storm showing no sign of slowing down, I’m sure we will have much time to work out details of the proposal.”

Lord Blackwood had also inquired on her plans for the rest of the night.

Elizabeth didn’t have any set plans for the evening. Hopefully, she would be able to greet Queen Adrienne, as she hadn’t done so already. She would also like to spend more time with Princess Adelina, and possibly meet her brother, as well as try the food from Prince Saric’s home country as Adelina had recommended. However, at the time being Elizabeth had no engagements. Lord Blackwood himself seemed to have no plans, but hadn’t seemed fond of the idea of staying late into the night, as he had shown a quick grimace when speaking of it. Whatever they decided to do, she’d make sure to give him the chance to slip out of the ballroom earlier in the evening.

Responding to Lord Blackwood’s questions, she said, “For the time being, I have no plans. I should think it best that we get food before beginning to work out details of the deal though, I myself haven’t yet eaten either. I would certainly be happy with your company if you’d like to go get something to eat now, then I suppose we shall see what the rest of the night brings for us”, she finished with a smile.

Mentioned: snowstormspawn snowstormspawn

Vincent Hawthorne

As the group passed the barns and hills, Vincent felt a bit more relieved. At the very least, Hadria would likely not have to worry about having frozen farm animal corpses scattered about the road. Sure, it would mean free food, but Vincent would never stoop as low as to feed on animals that belonged to someone else, even if they were already dead. Wolf form or not, he had standards.

Thoughts about Owen entered Vincent's head once more, and that feeling of relief shortly faded away with them. Someone as young as Owen would more than likely be quite frail as far as extreme weather went, and if the proper precautions were not taken, the Prince would probably not survive.

/No, no... nobody would ever be so cruel as to leave royalty to their fate like that, however young they might be./ Vincent had to keep telling himself.

The passing of someone like the Prince would very likely be a deathblow to the already uncertain fate of the Ball.

One thing that Vincent did not tell Maris and Wymond, partially because it could have been easily inferred that he could do so, was that he could speak with wild wolves-- as in, engage in full conversations. Though humans interpreted the noises of animals as just that, noises, they in fact had languages of their own which were exceedingly difficult for normal humans to fully learn without the use of magical aids. If the situation proved dire enough, Vincent could see if he could find any wolves prowling about under the cover of the snowstorm and see if they had spotted any travelers that might have gotten lost or stuck.

Interactions:
Saavedra Saavedra (Mention)
Vestige Vestige (Mention)
snowstormspawn snowstormspawn (Mention)

Walter Blackwood
' ' = internal dialogue
" " = external dialogue

“I’m sure Beaumont would be able to be the industrial partner and buyer Blackwood requires, Beaumont could certainly make use of grain imports,” continuing she said, “unfortunately, I myself will not be able to sign a deal into effect, it will need the approval of my family. Perhaps, it would be best if we wrote a proposal down, which I could take back to my father upon my return home. Of course, as long as that is agreeable to you. Just as well, I have no problem if you would like to write out the deal yourself, but if you believe it to be preferable I would attempt to find a lawyer to assist with the process. ”

Walter was glad that it seemed to be moving well. He was honestly expecting more formality or some kind of long winded non-answer. He was glad he could find a buyer so quickly for the harvest. The harvest does in fact spoil so moving quickly to shorten the time between the harvest time and the arrival of the produce to the buyer (especially for some of the more perishable foods).

“Certainly”, she continued quickly, “I do not mean to rush you into planning an agreement, with the storm showing no sign of slowing down, I’m sure we will have much time to work out details of the proposal.”

That makes sense.

“For the time being, I have no plans. I should think it best that we get food before beginning to work out details of the deal though, I myself haven’t yet eaten either. I would certainly be happy with your company if you’d like to go get something to eat now, then I suppose we shall see what the rest of the night brings for us”, she finished with a smile.

Walter was thankful she was willing to eat at this time. He was quite hungry by now. After spending so much time with Cassandra (not that he didn't enjoy it, he did) as well as Lady Beaumont, he had developed quite an appetite that a pitcher of mint tea wouldn't fill.

"That sounds lovely my lady. I am happy to accompany you. And I think it would be great to get some food."

Walter began walking with the Lady towards the table where the food was arrayed. He picked up a plate and began adding things slowly, carefully avoiding the more ostentatious fair keeping to foods that looked the most similar to dishes from home. He also made sure to get himself a nice glass of mint tea. Tea that the guards had somehow replaced......

"I'm happy to write something up myself. The deal should be fairly simple. Just manufactured goods in exchange for various types of produce. If you want some men as levy's I could throw that in as well. Anyway, we can talk more about that later. For now, I think the food is calling...."

As they began plating food, Walter began looking around...

"I'm sure as well that we could find others who could eat with us if you wished to invite others? I just saw some members of the church of Lokh come in. We could also present ourselves to Queen Adrienne. I'm sure you've done that already but I haven't done that yet. I was meaning to present some gifts for the queen as this was my first ball as Lord and really my first ball ever...I said that already......Anyway, its tradition for each new Lord of Blackwood to swear fealty and present the Queen with gifts. We can also meet other members of the court and invite them to eat with us."

Walter quickly sidestepped and flagged down a servant to give him some instructions about bringing the gifts for the queen up to the ballroom before returning to his spot.

"Also"

Here Walter stopped cold, turned, and looked the Lady in the eye.

"My father always said to be formal when necessary but to give others curtesy. My name is Walter Blackwood. But my friends call me Walter. I am happy to meet you and to make your acquantance. I think this is the start of a great friendship. May I call you Elizabeth?"

Interactions
kath1839

Mentions
snowstormspawn
Grievewriter

Last edited:
- Duchess Elizabeth -

"That sounds lovely my lady. I am happy to accompany you. And I think it would be great to get some food."

“Wonderful”, Elizabeth said and began walking, accompanied by Lord Blackwood, to the tables where food was laid out. Following the Lord’s suit, she began to fill a plate with things to eat, she recognized a few foods served in her duchy, as well as many she hadn’t seen before. Elizabeth decided to attempt a mix of foods she was familiar with and ones she hadn’t seen before. Surely whatever was served would be quite good. She also made sure to avoid the more alcoholic beverages, as she had already had some to drink whilst talking with Princess Adelina earlier in the evening, choosing to pick up a goblet of water instead. As she was getting food for herself, she listened to Lord Blackwood talk more of the terms for their deal.

"I'm happy to write something up myself. The deal should be fairly simple. Just manufactured goods in exchange for various types of produce. If you want some men as levy's I could throw that in as well. Anyway, we can talk more about that later. For now, I think the food is calling...."

Elizabeth nodded, everything the Lord had said seemed good to her. She would hope that the terms she and the Lord eventually decided on would also be agreeable to her father back home. “Manufactured goods in exchange for produce,” she said, “that sounds agreeable to me, but we shall put talk of the deal away for now so that we can enjoy our meal.”

Elizabeth also followed the Lord’s gaze around the ballroom, looking for someone that could possibly be invited to dine with them. Besides Lord Blackwood, the only person she had truly conversed with during the evening was the Princess Adelina, so she wasn’t quite sure who to invite. The Lord’s suggestion of presenting themselves to the Queen did seem to be the best idea as she had yet to do so. Elizabeth turned back to Lord Blackwood, in order to suggest that they both go to introduce themselves to Queen Adrienne, and found him looking her directly in the eye.

"My father always said to be formal when necessary but to give others curtesy. My name is Walter Blackwood. But my friends call me Walter. I am happy to meet you and to make your acquaintance. I think this is the start of a great friendship. May I call you Elizabeth?"

It wasn’t exactly following courtly protocol, but Elizabeth truly saw no need to follow such formalities while talking to the Lord. She smiled and said, “Of course. It has been a great pleasure of mine to make your acquaintance Walter, I do believe this will lead to a great friendship as well. Please feel free to call me Elizabeth.”

“Walter,” she continued, “I have yet to greet the Queen, as I was in conversation earlier upon her entrance. So if that is agreeable to you I believe we should go present ourselves to Queen Adrienne.” Elizabeth gazed over her shoulder up to where the Queen stood and said, “Whenever you wish to go, I am happy to go to the Queen. Of course, if there is someone you wish to invite to dine with us feel free to, I’m afraid that besides you and the Princess Adelina, who I believe is now occupied, I have not made the acquaintance of many at the ball.”

Mentioned: snowstormspawn snowstormspawn

Walter Blackwood
' ' = internal dialogue
" " = external dialogue

“Walter,” she continued, “I have yet to greet the Queen, as I was in conversation earlier upon her entrance. So if that is agreeable to you I believe we should go present ourselves to Queen Adrienne.” Elizabeth gazed over her shoulder up to where the Queen stood and said, “Whenever you wish to go, I am happy to go to the Queen. Of course, if there is someone you wish to invite to dine with us feel free to, I’m afraid that besides you and the Princess Adelina, who I believe is now occupied, I have not made the acquaintance of many at the ball.”

"That sounds acceptable my Lady. Honestly, this is my first ball as well, I'm not the most familiar with court politics 'yup definitely' and don't know anyone." Walter finished creating a plate and grabbed a cup of mint tea as well as a cup of water.

As they headed to a table together and set their food down, a servant approached him stating that the gifts for the queen had been brought up. He glanced over to the entrance of the ball to see his two guards standing there with the casks of ale in hand and some baskets of the finest produce of fruits and wheat. After deftly taking a swift drink of tea and nervously swallowing, he turned to the Lady.

"Well my lady, it appears my gifts have arrived. I'll be heading over to the queen to do my formal presentation." Here Walter began straightening his clothes hoping to add what little respectability he could.

"We can make our formal presentation and then if anyone is there who we want to eat with we can. We might even run into Princess Adelina."

Walter then gave her a brief smile before turning and walking towards his two guards. Seeing their Lord, they made their way over to the guards and then nodded before making their way towards Queen Adrienne.

After walking up to the Queen and confirming that he was acknowledged and allowed to approach, he avoided the stares of the onlookers and began bowing as low as deemed appropriate with sweat dripping down his back carefully minding each word of his practiced speech.

"My Queen. I, Lord Walter Blackwood, present myself as the new Lord of Blackwood Province and come bearing these gifts of ale, wheat, and produce, grown and produced in Blackwood Province. We thank you for continued fealty as Queen and pray for your long and prosperous as Queen of Hadria."

Whew he got through that without missing a word. He then stepped deftly aside to await the queens response.

Interactions
kath1839
snowstormspawn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back