• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Project - Hero System

It had been nothing more than just a small exercise. After getting rid of his gear, Ray had found his way back to one of his favorite places in the mansion. Flanked by several average computers, his own one had awaited him eagerly. The ventilators had buzzed lodly as soon as he had pressed the power button, welcoming him in his very own world. A world full of numbers, logical chains, and your own knowledge as the only border to see. A world, where things were either right or wrong. A place were something either did its job, or did not. A place exactly how he liked it. Complex, confusing, but conquerable by pure will and skill alone.

He had chosen a rather easy approach this time, only taking a few paths through the jungle of data he wasn't officially allowed to use. It was not really necessary to find his information like that, since he would have been ok with just a few information from the official data bases. But what fun was there in using the same resources as anyone else? Sooner than later, he had found what he was looking for - whatever the military knew about the first man to be hit by Rays shot on a real mission, he had found it behind firewalls and security programs other people called safe. He made a mental note to warn the militaries archives that their computer defenses were utter garbage, then ended his read. He stopped most of his programs, opened one of the newspaper's websites out of pure curiosity. And suddenly, the small exercise became a gigantic strike, shattering his good mood and satisfaction from the successful mission behind him. One single word was enough to let the world pause for a moment when the fox held his breath in disbelief.

"Fifteen."

A single number, spelled out like an indictment. His fingers danced over the big mechanical keyboard, when he double-checked the news. Triple-checked, until it was clear that it had not been just a typo.

"Fifteen", called every news website out there as if they knew he was watching. "Fifteen."

He shook his head, his all-present smile vanished behind a facial expression as if the world fell apart in front of his eyes. He remembered the words of the Colonel, the warning to not let any missile get lost. And shook his head again, stroking through his white fur with his left paw.

This was his place. Just how he liked it, things were either right or wrong. They did what they were made for, or they did not. And when the fox realized that he himself belonged to the latter category, it made him wish that he just would disappear from one moment to the other. He had checked the boxes, hadn't he? Sixteen of them, all closed how they were supposed to be transported. But he had only checked one of them closely. Logical deduction, how he was been told to do it - causing things he could not even imagine at this point. Wasted lifes, just because he had been too sure about himself to check the other fifteen boxes aswell.

"Fifteen."

That was one less than they had needed to recover. One less than necessary to make sure nothing terrible happened. He jumped out of his chair, not even logging out. Sprinting to where he expected Murphy to be, he passed whomever got in his way.

"Fifteen."

He had to inform the Colonel, although he probably knew best himself. He needed to ask him where he had to fly to to get things done correctly. One simple mistake couldnt be the end, could it? They would have had time enough to call the team back if things were terribly wrong, right?

"Fifteen."

There was no thought that could calm him down.

"Fifteen."

The number that from now on would always be remembered together with his failure. He ran even quicker, almost bumping into one of the staff members. Murphy would know how to call the Colonel. He would know what to do, where to go. Alex always did.

Do you go tell the others about what is being reported in the news, or do you just go to Alex to try to get sold off the army guys?

With a book clasped gently in his big, beefy paws, AJ laid on his bed in his room. The mission was finally over and he was indulging in some overdue rest time from his busy exercise schedule. Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Although now, his attention was not on the words on the pages, but on the news reports of their mission. Fifteen missiles? In their briefing, he'd been told there were sixteen. Discrepancies were...unnerving to say the least, but he was a soldier. He thought very simply. Perhaps it was just an error on the part of the person that had given the report. He didn't pay it much mind, but the thought nagged at him from the back of his brain as he tried to relax.

Eventually he gave up on trying to read and, with silly little circular reading glasses still perched on his muzzle, he left his book on the bed and strolled out of his room, stretching his back as he yawned.

In the very last moment, Ray dodged one of the guards, only earning a confused look instead of colliding with him. Then, finally, the slalom ended. While the other areas were at least kind of used at this time, the corridor with the bedrooms on both sides was rather empty. Moreover, it led exactly in the direction he needed to take.

"Fifteen."

Just a few more corners to pass, then he would know what the horrible news really meant. He would know where to go to make up for his mistake - Alex would tell him, surely. He always knew what to do when even Dr. DeLong didn't know any further - what happened quite rarely, actually. He speeded up even more, a white flash shooting right through the corridor.

"Fifteen."

The fox missed the door opening to his left, and couldn't possibly avoid the yawning wall of dog suddenly appearing in his path. He bumped right into AJ, tumbling to the ground and getting back up in record time. Not even turning around, he hasted further, just shouting backwards:

"We missed a damn missile, AJ. Somewhere someone will get blown up if we don't move into gear fastest possible - if it's not already too late. Get the team or something, I'll ask Alex where to go."

"Oop!"

Suddenly a mass of white fur barreled into his chest. At the speed Ray was going, it knocked him back several steps and jolted his glasses askew, but as soon as he recovered from the initial surprise the fox was already up and running.

"I-I know that, but um-"

Before he could even complete his sentence the fox ran off. With a sigh and a shake of his head, AJ took off after the smaller, faster fox, chasing fast after him with nary a question. He'd save the random questions for after Ray stopped.

You get to Alex's office to find the former soldier sitting back with a six pack of beers as he watches news reports the takedown. He looks up in surprise as Ray and Aj barge in. "You got to give me some time to get the steaks ready. What's up?"

As you begin to tell him about the missing missile, he frowns. "Damn. I completely missed that!" He grabs his phone and dials the major. He drums his fingers on the desk in impatience route hanging up. "Busy. The major is probably busy on the phone. Let me call some friends and try to get some answers."

Damn. Busy was the last word Ray wanted to hear right now. He wanted to act, not wait for answers. At least, Alex knew what to do - in contrast to the fox next to him. He hated it when something was not under his control. Well, there was one thing to do to keep him busy for a moment himself. "I'll get Eerie then, just in case. Better we are ready to roll out as soon as possible. She's still at the gym, right?"

She wasn't as alarmed as her teammates. Eerie was toweling off after a cold shower in the gym when Ray had came barreling in. The tongue inside the fox's mouth was a shade of purple she'd never seen; he must have nearly hyperventilated.

Her first instinct, after she got dressed, was to explain to Ray that the news media often botches their details. Honestly, after a hit that complex, Eerie was amazed the networks didn't butcher the facts even worse. But she decided to keep those thoughts to herself. If Ray and AJ were concerned, she'd wait right beside them until everything was straightened out. Besides, she didn't plan on sleeping before the meeting with Colonel Sharp anyway.

"Let's go get some answers." Eerie offered as she followed her teammate.

Alex is continuing to try and get through to the Major, but is having limited success. Slamming the phone down, he snarls, "The Major is currently in a meeting, and will get back to me as soon as possible. Ok, now, before we overreact, lets remember that the newsies may have the count wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that a mistake was made and picked up by the other networks. Now, I'm not saying that you messed up, so don't think that I'm laying blame. But, how certain are you that all sixteen of the Stingers were in the van?"

Steve lets out a low growl. "Certain. We all saw the cases when we were checking out the van after the action was all done. Am I right, guys? If there is a discrepancy, it did not start with us, but with the damn suits that took over our operation scene."

Alex looks unhappy. "I suppose that all we can do for now is wait for the DOD to call us back and verify the number of missiles recovered. In the meantime, I suggest you go back to your relaxing and don't stress. We will be meeting with the army people tomorrow, so at the latest we will get the answers from them at that time."

It was rather obvious that Ray was not all that happy with waiting.

"Might be that they just messed up the number. But if not, we are just sitting here, waiting for them to blow up something meaningful. That's not what I was born to do. And in regards to the missiles: There were certainly sixteen cases in the van - but that doesn't mean anything. One of them could have been empty. Or all of them except the one I opened. I could have stood here, telling you that all the damn things were there - would have been just a matter of a few moments. Instead, I was fine with just peeking into one of them. That's what haunts me. I was taught to do better than that."

He turned to Steve.

"They wanted us out of there, just so the press doesn't get news about us by accident. Probably better than letting me mess up more stuff anyway. And it's not like they would have had any possible way to blow it after we left, right?"

The fox shook his head, then turned to the door.

"That said, I'm off for now. You'll find me in the training area or something - relaxing is not what I am supposed to do. Last time I did, I stumbled over an article telling me I failed. Be so kind to send a medic over if I do not show up again within the next few hours - I might test my new program for the active defenses tonight. Would be at least something to do."

Last edited by a moderator:
Time passes, and soon enough, morning comes. After a rousing session of physical training and weapons practice, everyone gets cleaned up and ready for the official meeting with the officers from the Pentagon. Once again, you are summoned to the briefing room where a group of soldiers wait for you; eight men with assault weapons are positioned both in the hallway and inside the briefing room itself, along with the colonel and his executive staff. As before, the major stands up and begins the briefing by showing some video of the entire operation, taken from various angles. The first runthrough, he is silent, and lets the images speak for themselves. Once it ends, he starts it up again, and begins to offer his commentary and asks questions of the team.

"Overall, you have done an excellent job. Pierre Dortmund and two high ranking members of Action Direct have been eliminated. The identity of the other two mutants is currently a mystery, but our contacts with the French intel services are working with us to place names to the faces. There were no casualties in your team, despite one of you getting hit by an energy blast, and there were no civilians caught in the crossfire. Overall, an excellent job."

At this point, the colonel shifts in his seat. "Except for the fact that you failed to verify the presence of all the missiles. Only fifteen were recovered of the sixteen that were stolen. Very disappointing to see you make such a rookie mistake after all of the training you have had and the time and money invested in you. What do you have to say for your actions? Why should I not consider this to be a failure instead of a successful mission?"

The training had been a good distraction. Between all the flying bullets, Ray had simply not had the time to worry anymore - and after failing in the first six runs due to lacking focus, he finally had succeeded, both against his panic and the defending bots. Only with two seconds on the clock remaining, admittedly, but still. In the end, it did not matter, as long as the green light bulb flashed up in time. That was the nice thing about training sessions - you always knew when you were finished.

Even during the commentary by the major, the fox was rather calm, collecting a few handy tips for the next time something like that happened - probably not too quickly again. He made a mental remark to dodge blasts like the one of the mutant next time, and refocused on the question whether the challenge of his training parcours was advanceable by just refining the computer programs contolling it - probably, if he took the time to reread the code again.

One sentence of the colonel was enough to bring him back to the much more relevant problems of the present, though. "Why should I not consider this to be a failure instead of a successful mission?" The answer was rather simple, at least from his point of view. And he felt like it was on him to answer.

"You know, there is much to be said about this one. But I'll keep it short, so we don't waste even more time. If you ask me: You should not. You sent out a fox who regularly hacks the servers of the department of defense. And when he finished the unevitable fight, he counted to sixteen and did not even bother to check every single of the cases. That's a failure, however you put it." He pauses for a moment. "But the question is not whether we failed or not, right? The question is where we need to go to recover the last missile. You know, counting to one is less difficult than counting to sixteen. Even that stupid fox in those videos can figure that one out - he either has the target, or he does not. Easy binary code."

With a hesitant smile, he first eyed the corporal, then his comrades. "I should not have begun, right? I'm terrible at marketing."

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex leans forward to look the colonel in the eye. "You can't say when the missile went missing. Perhaps Dortmund ment to rob his buyers. In all fairness, you can't lay that blame on my team! They did the mission damn near perfect and you know it."

The colonel glares at him, but does not reply. The major nods. "Very true. All in all, this mission was a resounding success, and it is my official recommendation that the Project is to be approved for additional missions and more teams to be developed. Congratulations. Obviously, the Department of Defense will have the final say, but I don't see any reason why they won't go with my recommendation."

Throughout the majors comments, the colonel continues to glare, but says nothing until the end. "I just hope for your it sake that the missile is not used to take down a jumbo jet. Major, let's go."

Nearly a week goes by and life returns to normal. Alex continues to run you ragged with a long exercise that takes you out to the swamps nearby. As you make your way back to the plantation house to clean up, you are suddenly called into the briefing room.

Alex is there waiting for you with a smile in his face. "I hope you weren't planning on getting any rank time in your own beds because there is a emergency situation, and the team has been called in for duty once more." He turns and punches up a picture of a large ship.

"This is the Exxon Meridian, a tanker ship with a crew of thirty, designed to transport liquid natural gas in pressurized tanks. Obviously, the fuel is highly volatile and dangerous, and if it's cargo were to explode, it would be like a small nuke going off. Imagine what kind of damage that could do to a major port like New York or Los Angelis.

"Twelve hours ago, the ship was seized by a group of pirates. The exact numbers of the gunmen are unknown, but from the size of the boat we estimate that there are ten to twelve of the terrorists onboard. There has been a ransom demand from the gunmen, but Exxon has expressed their desire for the government to help rescue their ship and crew, thus we are being called in.

"You are going to be parachuting in ten miles out to sea and swimming in the rest of the way, so you will need scuba gear. Also, with the tight quarters, expect to be in short range combat. Break out the silencers for the quiet kills.

Almost a week had past by - and had left an overtired fox behind. Although Ray appreciated Murphys encouragement, he still knew that he could have done better - and spent even more time on getting better, completing extra training rounds instead of using his full sleep times for what they were there for. As long as he worked, he forgot everything else, and Ray made sure to always have a task - be it one of Alex who kept the team quite busy, or one by himself. He wanted to be prepared when the last missile showed up. But when they were called to the briefing room, it was because of a different matter.

"You know, Alex, I don't need the sleep anyway", Ray commented on the new task, suppressing a yawn. "Just let me get all that mud from my electronic equipment, and I'm ready to go. Thought I had seen enough water in the last few days, but it seems the military really likes me to leave my comfort zone. Scuba gear, wearing a helmet, close combat and probably no W-Lan in sight. At least there will be some technical devices to play with, right?" He pauses for a moment, then nods in direction of the ships picture. "Anything more of interest about that ship? All hostages alive? How much time to get close to a bigger harbor? And which one would it be? By the way, I am glad that we are still in business after my mistake. Wont mess it up this time."

Alex shakes his head. "We have no info on any possible casualties in the ship's crew. According to the ransom call, they are all alive, but don't take that as holy writ. At the moment, the ship is of the coast of Florida, so it won't be a long flight to get there. The ship is currently sitting still, but if the terrorists know what they are doing, the Meridian could be in a major harbor in as little as eight hours. We are on the clock, and running out of time."

The fox yawned loudly. "I guess it is quite a safe bet that they got at least some kind of plan. And we are better off to hurry up before they can get things done. Let us just hope that we can stop that damn thing and get everyone out of there safely. Anything about who the attackers are? A revenge mission for Dortmund, perhaps, or possibly something else? Not that it matters anyways, since we will stop them whatever their cruel goals are."

"Well that's okay with me."

AJ was next to Ray, a cup of coffee in his hand as he rubbed his eyes, still sore from the previous exercise. His gear was all still hanging from his chest and back, and he was dog tired. This sounded like a simple mission though, no crucial details, except for the swimming part.

Moving quickly to pull out scuba gear and get them packed on the transport, you are now equipped for a swim out to the ship. Steve decides to leave his sniper rifle behind and pack a sub machine gun and some grenades; just the thing for assume close combat engagements.

Ray does not have to change all that much in comparison to the last mission - he had been prepared for close combat anyway. Carrying his trusted SMG with him, he holds for a moment when seeing the grenades Steve is taking with him. "You better dont throw those near the gas tanks."

He then prepares for the unevitable dive, switching water-susceptible components for more appropriate counterparts in his technical gear - better safe than sorry - and puts them into a watertight bag. Finally shouldering it, he takes a look onto the preparations of the others. "Think I am ready to go - though I would be much happier skipping the whole swimming part. Seems like water is the natural enemy of future-oriented foxes, if you know what I mean."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back