• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Project - Hero System

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Here is our new forum. I will post details over the next few days.

It is late in the morning one cloudy day in Georgia, and the team is currently in the middle of a live fire exercise in a small abandoned town that the Project bought up a few years ago. While it is officially known as the Urban Training Zone, it has been given the unofficial nickname of The Kill Zone. Whatever name you choose to give it, the entire town has been hard wired with hundreds of cameras designed to catch every moment of each exercise so that the training staff can analyze every move made.

The summer heat and humidity is brutal, even during the morning hours. Loaded down with your heavy gear and weapons, it makes it even harder to deal with the weather. Right now, the four of you are hustling through the heavy woods, trying to avoid detection by a group of former Army Rangers that have been hired by the Project as a part of your training cadre.

Pausing at the edge of the tree line, Steve takes a quick drink from his canteen and looks through a pair of binoculars. In his quiet rumbling voice, he says, "I can see the objective from here. There are three tangos; all with assault rifles. For a bunch of former Rangers, they are not doing a very good job of being stealthy, unless it's a setup. Looks like we are going to be here for a while."

"The army doesn't make them like they use to."

Her long white ears twitched independently above her head. Eerie, ever vigilant, continually observed the sound of the surrounding woods to make sure no one would get the drop on her team. Only the quiet songs of the morning birds came back to her.

She shouldered her crossbow and then peeked through its scope. She sized up the opposition, three riflemen, and predicted where they would take defensive positions should it come to that. She lowered her weapon down to her hip and turned to Manticore.

"I hate waiting." She hissed.

He smiles at her, baring his impressive fangs. "Hurry up and wait. At least we aren't in the water this time. All that SCUBA training we were doing made my hair tangle up." Steve looks through the binoculars again, and pulls out a small notebook to jot down the details of time, location, and activity of the 'enemy' soldiers.

Ray kneeled down, taking a short look for himself. "Don't remind me of that. Though this damn weather is not much better, I suppose. Polar foxes are not made for water and heat." He falls quite for a short moment, then adds with a smile: "At least we are outdoors, right? Better than breathing recycled air for hours. And those guys are sweating as much as we are."

He takes an interested look over Steves shoulder, before realizing he's just doing the usual stuff - even using the official software, apparently. "Tell me when you need something", he remarks, "I have all my equipment with me. Quite a malicious joke of Murphy, saying we should bring whatever we feel like. I could bet I will barely need any of my toys until we get to the end here."

"One of the engineers made the comment that it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Steve's tail lashes back and forth, showing his impatience. "I just wish that we would be done with the milk runs and get to the real thing. I want to test my skills against a real target; knowing that the wrong move could cost us, it makes it that much more exciting."

He returns his attention to the binoculars once more, but before he can do more than lift the eyepieces up, your earbud radios crackle to life with one of the many familiar voices of the comm center. "Attention! Attention! Abort the mission and report back to the LZ for immediate pickup! I say again, abort and return to LZ; the exercise is terminated. Authorization code Romeo Romeo Tango Alpha Charlie Two Four. Acknowledge."

The code given along with the abort order is correct, indicating that this is a genuine signal and not another part of the test. Even as you sit up and look at one another, you can hear a bullhorn in the Kill Zone shout out, "RTB, guys. The exercise is aborted. Time for a couple of cold ones back at the ranch." The three guards that you can see around the objective all turn and begin to walk off in no particular hurry.

Steve keys his throat mic, "Copy that, dispatch. Abort and return to LZ. What's going on?"

The return signal comes right away. "Looks like another inspection by the Army brass, but I could be wrong. Just hustle your tails back to the pickup zone and signal the chopper. The Colonel wants you all back at headquarters ASAP."

A toothy grin played at the corners of Eerie's lips.

"My best guess is one of you fleabags left the coffee pot on back at base."

She hefted her crossbow above her shoulders, and with single snapping motion, mag-locked her weapon between her wings. The bow could easily be retrieved should she need it. Her blood red eyes darted around her teammates.

"How many times do I have to tell you guys: put your guns away when you're done playing with them, and turn the coffee pot off before you leave the room?"

Amused with herself, she poured some water from her canteen over her smiling face. Her long pink tongue came out to hunt the water droplets forming on her chin.

"Maybe it's for the best though, Ray looks like he could go down at any minute from heatstroke."

She hissed out a chuckle and started moving back to the landing zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a smirk, the fox stroked through his white, sweat-drenched fur, "I'm good, don't you worry. At least for now - noone would stop a training mission just because he's missing his new flashlight, right? I mean, he could just have asked if it is in my room..." With a wave of his paw, Ray stopped his issue.

"Anyway, we are better off going back as quick as possible. Maybe it's just the coffee pot, after all. I mean, it cannot be just an inspection, right? They wouldn' t have sent us out for a stupid walk like this one just for fun. Even Murphy isn't as malicious as that."

With a short, grim look to the original mission objective, he turns around, taking the way back right behind Eerie. His all-present smile returns just seconds after. "At least, we are out of this damn forest in a few moments. Back into the world of W-LAN and technology sounds fine to me, after all. And I'll return that flashlight tomorrow, I promise. If someone still is interested in it, that is."

Steve puts away his binoculars in his pack. "Whatever the reason, we won't find out what it is sit trying here. Let's make tracks."

A short time later and you are back at the landing zone where a Blackhawk helicopter is sitting, waiting for you. Once everyone is loaded onboard, the helicopter takes to the air and heads back to the plantation.

As the Blackhawk circles the Project headquarters, you can see several military staff cars that were not there this morning. It is a sure sign that there is a bunch of military brass waiting for you.

"Seems as if they even brought their own chef, counting the cars."

The view out of the helicopter was quite promising - military vehicles always had that kind of flavor that got him interested. Well-tried, solid technology, spiced with a few, hidden innovations someone else had come up with. Though they probably were not here to let Ray take a closer look onto those. In fact, it was far more likely that he would spend the next few hours to demonstrate the devotedness of his team members and himself. Followed by applause and the promise that they would be needed at some point in the far future.

"Apparently, we'll spend the afternoon shaking hands with whomsoever arrived down there. Hope they don't mind a drenched fox."

"It looks like it's a party...and we're invited."

Eerie was leaning out of the blackhawk's open cargo door counting the newly arrived vehicles. Her upturned nose crinkled and bobbed as it scented the wind. She sat back into her bench seat and eyed her teammates. Eerie finally dropped her smile.

"I think they're finally going to let us off leash."

She closed her heavy pale eyelids, took a moment to relax, and then exhaled the next words.

"It's about time."

Ray Fox grabbed the handle next to the door, stepped up to his companion. "You seem quite sure about that, Eerie."

It seemed unlikely, after all the time they had waited. Especially since it did not appear as if it was long-term planned. Turning around to Steve, he pointed at the cars under them.

"What do you think, Manticore? Just another visit, or finally the real thing, as you put it? Would seem a bit rushed, if you'd ask me. I always expected them to send us into some well-organised mission, not something sudden. To make sure that the first try goes well, so nobody complains about wasted money."

The fox leaned forward, taking his own bit of fresh air. Wild and chill, it felt like the welcome of something new and unspent.

"Though if they really wanted to send us onto a mission, I'd be more than happy to give it a try."

"It's just a hunch."

Eerie's eyes remained shut. She reached a clawed hand up and scratched the front of her neck before continuing.

"I can't imagine them calling us in from a field exercise for much else. No way they'd do it for a simple meet & greet. Anyone wanting to check us out would have been more than happy to watch us do our thing on camera."

She popped one crimson eye open, shrugged, and then grinned at Ray.

"But what do I know? I'm just a good looking grunt."

Steve gives you all a toothy grin. "I hope you're right. I am so ready for the real thing. There is only so much training you can do before the knife loses its edge, y'know?"

Upon landing, you are directed to return your weapons to the armory, and then you are told that you have 30 minutes to get cleaned up and ready for a briefing. Plenty of time to defunk from the exertions of the training run you were on.

"So in thirty minutes we'll find out what's going on. Hand-shaking or handwork, that is the question. Anyone taking bets?"

Ray got rid of the most bulky parts of his armor. Leaving all technical equipment but his headset and MP3-player in a messy pile behind, he hurries away to use the time as good as possible.

"If I'm late, be so kind to tell them I'm getting there as fast as possible. You know, it would be a shame to miss my first mission by accident, if our lovely grunt is right in her guess."

Meanwhile...

"Time!"

"Two minutes thirty!"

"Again!"

With a whistle, the big dog set off across the field again, dashing just underneath a bright red plastic disc that soared through the air above him. His feet tramped across the grass as he chased the disc, and as it reached the end of the field he leaped, extended an arm and grabbed it in a meaty paw. A happy bark issued itself from his throat as he dashed all the way back and dropped the Frisbee on the grass. The man across from him tapped his phone and gave the big canine a nod.

"Two twenty three. Not bad AJ, your best time yet."

"Thanks Grimm!"

He barked happily again as the man jotted down the time on a clipboard, standing there expectantly in the early afternoon sun. As he waited eagerly for his next test, a uniformed soldier strode out of the building ahead of him, looking purposefully his way. With a curious cock of his head, he watched the man approach.

"Are you AJ?"

He nodded.

"Yeah."

"Get washed up and changed into your uniform. Your team is meeting the men upstairs. You're going with them."

"Alright!"

"You have half an hour. Meet them in the briefing room."

With a curt nod the man excused himself, leaving the canine and his companion in the field. Grimm looked up at the big dog, smiled and waved him off.

"You go on ahead, AJ. We'll finish this test another time."

"Okay!"

AJ jogged off, heading for the showers to clean up. A few minutes later, he was dressed in clean fatigues and standing outside their regular briefing room, not at attention but just waiting, ears perked to any sounds, perhaps those of his team approaching.

As everyone gets to the briefing room, you are met by four Marine grunts; all four are currently wearing their body armor, and while two of the guards are packing.M-16's, the other two are armed with a very deadly energy weapon called a Nail Gun. They refuse to reply to any comment you make to try to get them out of their shells. No sense of humor at all.

A few minutes go by before the door to the briefing room opens and a young clerk pokes her head out. "You guys are up. Ready?"

Inside, there are many members of the Project staff, including Dr DeLong. She gives you all a warm smile as you come in, which is in stark opposition to the blank faced looks you are getting from the other Marine in the room. Six more guards flank a familiar major; your liaison with the Pentagon and a unfamiliar lt colonel that is currently sitting at the head of the table.

Major Benson stands and motions at the colonel. "This is Colonel Sharp, my commanding officer and the overseer of the Project at the Pentagon. He has a few questions and a briefing for you. If you would have a seat, we can begin."

Surprisingly, Fox is the one first to be heard. Normally rather late than early, he seems quite eager to be on point this time.

He greets you with a short nod in your general direction, obviously more interested in various technical components in his paws than in a conversation. It takes a couple of quiet minutes until he finally looks up, presenting one of the recently purchased flashlights to the doberman. "Got it!"

He looks fairly well-clothed in comparison to his otherwise rather casual clothing style. His uniform seems like newly washed, his white fur is combed backwards. After all, he was possibly going to represent his country in just a few minutes. If not for the towel around his neck, he'd look quite presentable.

"Glad to see you, buddy. Any idea what exactly we are waiting for here? The bat assumes they are sending us out there, though we just arrived a couple of moments ago. Can't wait to finally see what's outside of the well-prepared world we live in."

He playfully turns the flashlight on and off, fascinated by something probably only he himself can name.

"Time to get things started, I guess", he notes when the door opens. Letting his towel fall to the floor with attracting the least attention possible, he follows in first. The waiting men are rather untalkative, as he quickly finds out, so he makes sure to be quiet himself and catch whatever might be of interest. He salutes in direction of the officers, and gives the doctor a wide smile. Offered a seat, he takes one of those close to the Colonel, if only to see better in case he intends to present something he brought with him.

"Ask whatever you like, gentlemen. And I'll do my best to answer, as always."

He lays down the flashlight onto the table, not caring much about it anymore. Seemed like something much more interesting was about to unfold.

"Briefing sounds good to me. I'm ready for some real action."

Her two oversized fists twisted against her eyelids. Eerie was trying her best to shake the urge to take a nap. She was a nocturnal animal after all, but her employers rarely took that into consideration.

"You guys are up. Ready?"

At the clerk's summons Eerie yawned, her rows of fangs opened wide and then snapped shut. She open-hand swatted each pale cheek in an effort feel more alert. Ready enough, thought the bat.

Inside the briefing room Eerie fixated on the colonel. Her red eyes inspected his expression and posture, while her nose took in the man's scent. As instructed, she lowered herself into a chair. She took a moment to adjust her wing membranes. Ray was already mumbling something—which was fine with Eerie—she planned on letting her teammates do most of the talking.

Ray can't help but smile, seeing the bat nearly falling asleep in front of him and the whole military brass.

"Don't you worry, Eerie, we'll tell you how the mission went. I'll make some nice photos, too."

Turning to the Colonel, his smile becomes even wider.

"Do not mind her, Colonel. As soon as we are out, she will be the sprightliest being you have ever seen. She just had quite a bad morning, like probably all of us once in a while. Eerie is not the person to stand up until sundown if you give her a chance, but she'll be alright. And so are the others - just tell us what to blow up, and we'll be back in a second."

The colonel looks at Ray for a long moment without saying a word, then finally he picks up a remote for the computer display. With the press of a button, an image of a middle aged man with dark hair appears on the screen. "This Pierre Dortmund, a French national that has taken control of the terror group Action Direct. It is suspected that they are responsible for the subway bombing in Paris last year that took the lives of thirty three passengers. Two days ago, the NSA intercepted a cell phone call from Dortmund where he was overheard saying that quote, 'the package will be in Boston by the end of the week'. This message preceded the disappearance of a shipment of Stinger missiles from an armory nearby Cambridge by a matter of a few hours.

From the intercepted calls, we believe that the package that Dortmund is referring to are the Singer's that were taken, and they are being transported to a ship in Boston harbor for delivery to an unknown buyer. We cannot allow these missiles to fall into the wrong hands. Just imagine the loss of life that could result if even one of there weapons were to be used against a passenger liner.

Now, the government has invested a sizeable sum of time and money into this Project, and now it is time to see what you are capable of. Major Benson is of the opinion that you are ready for this test; let us see if he is correct. Major? If you would?"

Major Benson nods. "Yes, sir. The objective of this is the recovery of the missiles. There are a total of sixteen Stingers in the shipment, and from our current Intel, we believe that all sixteen will be at the dock for the exchange. If recovery of the missiles is not possible, destroy them. We cannot allow even a single one to slip out of our hands.

The exchange is set to take place at 0200 tonight at pier 21, giving you enough time to fly to Boston with time to spare. At this pier, there are two ships that are scheduled to be sailing on the morning tide; the first is a ship from Japan, and the second is flying an Egyptian flag. At this time we do not know which ship is going to be taking the missiles, so prepare accordingly. Just to be clear: we don't care how you accomplish your mission, where you plan the takedown, or when. Just get those missiles back, and if that is not possible, destroy them. Clear?"

OOC everyone please give me a roll on your KS Terrorist Groups by rolling 3d6. You want to get equal to or under your target number. Don't forget that all of you have an Overall Skill Level that can give you a plus one to any skill you have.

[dice]15353[/dice]

OOC: 12<14+1, so this should be a success...

Feeling the look of the Colonel on him, Rays smile congeals. Not the time for explanations or confidence, as it seemed. Leaning back in his chair, he makes sure to stay quiet while the Colonel describes the situation - no time indeed.

Trying to memorize the shown man, he then follows the instructions. Seemed like a much bigger deal than the one in Paris, and even this one had burnt itself into the foxes memory. As an example how not to do his job.

He waits a respectful moment after the Major ends, then lifts the paw.

"Just one question, though it might be irrelevant: How did they manage to get their hands at those things? I' mean, the workers probably didn't just let these stingers lie around at the armory, did they?"

He stops for a moment, realizing that the question was surely not put in the most respectful form possible.

"Sorry for my curiosity, I guess I'm a fox after all. Otherwise, no questions from my side. Though if we had something similar like the stingers here, I'd like to take a short look onto it - just to make sure I can get those things out of this world if necessary, without destroying everything around them. If not, a technical drawing or something similar will do. I'll do my best, and the others also will, Colonel Sharp. We'll get our hands on those missiles before they can cause any damage, I promise."

First off, anyone that makes their KS Terrorist Groups roll will know that Pierre Dortmund is suspected to be a mutant with enhanced strength and damage resistance, possibly even accelerated healing; his exact power level is not known. If you fail your roll, you are familiar with the name, but you don't remember what makes Dortmund stand out in your minds.

The Major touches the controls of the handheld remote once more and the picture changes to a highway scene of a multi car accident. "This was the location of the raid on the transport truck. It was a secret shipment with minimal security, but somehow the information was obtained and the truck was attacked. Four men were on board the transport, and all four were found dead in the middle of the burning wreckage of the crash. NTSB and the FBI are both currently working to check on exactly how the attack happened, and we are looking into all the personnel that knew of missiles being moved, including the four dead men. It will take some time, but I am confident that the leak will be plugged."

Ray takes a closer look, then nods.

"That's kind of what I expected, Sir, though I wouldn't have called it with the little knowledge I have. When Pierre Dortmund is involved, we better plug that hole as early as possible. Though that is probably not our concern at the moment."

He looks to the other team members, his curiosity satisfied for the moment.

"Any other questions open? Don't blame the fox when something is missing in the end."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back