• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Princess and the village Mage

Catria relieved her squint at him, relieved to hear that he was uninjured, though not exactly sure if he was saying that just for her sake or not. He seemed to move fine, however, and that was worth no additional scrutiny in her eyes. His hands floated over the flute as if it were second-nature to him, and he plucked a flower from the ground and handed it to her, much to her surprise. She happily accepted it with a fruitful smile, bringing it to her nose and enjoying the first whiff of a flower since she crushed the other ones.

His questions brought her back to the present, and her disposition plummeted back into worry for people and for her goal.

"I . . . I do not know what I plan on doing. Given the dire circumstances, I should stay here and help all of our people. Confront the present threat and defeat it, and to heal those who are injured. It just makes the most sense to not take the journey yet until . . . is that a harp string I hear?"

Catria's eyes drifted upwards, also hearing the thrum of giant wings beating overhead. Lana and Prince Sidon were quickly recognised. Even if she had only met them once in the present day, their images still clung to memory, and it was quite joyous to see them again.

She listened in shock, not concentrating on the fact that he was able to tame a pegasus -- unheard of by Catria, but maybe rare rather than never before seen -- but rather that he was here to consult the king, and was going to bring her along with him to do so. She swallowed hard. Such would be an act of defiance toward her father, and she hoped it would not be a destructive towards her relationship with him. Still, this man was royalty, and she had to be honest that she wanted to be there to hear what they would discuss.

"I think we should," she stated to Merric, her eyes darting over to him as she pursed his lips, trying to hide her unease. "He might help bring an end to this raid, or help me be able to join you and everyone out there. Would you please accompany me?"

Porphyry bristled at Prince Sidon's request, or rather demand. His face took on a fiery red hue which well matched his flame-red beard and hair. Son of the flame chief indeed. How dare he take up such a tone with someone he recognised, and yet . . . these were desperate times. Looking over to Catria assured him that she was accepting of this odd turn of events. Perhaps he should. Temper and steamed blood lowering, he assented and led them to the king, pushing the guardsmen aside with either his words or his brawny arms. When they reached the entry to the throne room, he turned toward Prince Sidon and said, "This had better be good."

Sadly for Porphyry, Sidon was a man on a mission. Combine that with his lack of love for normal royal traditions, he was walking through the castle at a quick pace, chiding Prophryry for not keeping up. Though it didn't seem like Sidon needed much assistance as he walked through the halls and to the throne room with little trouble. Only getting confused once.

Merric stayed beside Catria and attempted to follow Sidon. But again the grown prince was making his way through that halls fast. Merric assumed it was with good news as the prince hummed a tune and skipped every few steps. What purpose could he have being here though? Was something supposed to happen. Last time he showed up he had saved Merric and Princess Catria. Was he here to do it again... Catria was here to and she, along with Merric and Pophryry, were suppose to aid the princess on her journey.

"Prince Sidon, urgent business!" The Prince announced to the guards of the throne room and walked by them as he threw the door open and walked into the throne room. Which of course wasn't a normal thing to do. As soon as the doors were opened the meeting that had been going on stopped and some guards lowered there spears at Sidon. But that didn't stop the bard/prince, as he walked past them unphased.
"King Hector." He addressed the king, who looked shocked at the display, "Oh right... My apologies." He said and bowed.

"King... No, prince Sidon." King Hector said. The kind looking like what you would expect from a king. Dressed in dark red robes and royal clothing, crown, and other jewelry, "Guards drop your weapons. This is a welcomed guest." He ordered, "Who probably has a good reason for showing up unannounced."

"That I do." He said pulling out a few papers, "But let's wait for you daughter and the other slow pokes."

While Catria did not feel lost in her own castle, she certainly almost lost track of Prince Sidon as he quickly swept through the halls, flashes of him being seen around many corners, urging Merric and her to continue even faster. How this man moved so fast was impressive, but she thought the same as Merric in that maybe he came bearing good news. Could that be so? He certainly seemed chipper enough.

As they finally tumbled into the throne room, Catria offered apologetic glances toward the guards of the throne room and stepped in full stride into the throne room, hopefully with the welcoming presence of Merric, and Porphyry too, by her side. She checked over her shoulder and felt relief. They were there.

Upon seeing her father, she pursed her lips together. While she was fully knowledgeable that she was breaking her father's orders, she hoped that there would be no repercussions from this well-intended endeavour. She remained beside the others and awaited the start of the conversation.

"Ah now that they're here," Sidon said as Catra and Merric stumbled into the throne room, "Let us begin." Reaching into his pocket and pulled out a map. He then, with one motion, pushed the little pieces off the war map and laid down his map.

"Prince Sidon." The king said she got up, before giving a wheezing cough and stumbling for a brief second, but was able to catch himself, "We were in the middle of a war meeting. If you didn't notice the shadow beast outside my gates."

"Yes yes, pesky little things," Sidon said as he smoothed the map out, trying to get it to not roll back up, "Been dealing with them myself for the past few days. So we need to hurry along and get this started so we can put this foolishness behind us." The way Sido talked sounded like the castle had a small infestation of bugs. Though to be fair it was clear the prince had been through a battle or two himself. His travel clothes were dirty, wrinkled, and torn. Even the golden feather on the top of his hat was missing some of itself.

"Get started with what old friend?" The king asked, looking almost afraid to ask the question, which it was clear the two knew each other... So maybe the King had a reason to be wary of the question. He carefully walked forward to look at Sidonsmap, which was marked in so many different places with different ink colors it was hard to tell what was going on.

"It's time to have an adventure!" He said, excitement glowing in his eyes, looking at the princess and Merric, "I have been to the Kingdom of the east, to Dead Man's dessert. This is where the Shadow Shrine waits for the lovely princess and her team, in search of answers. I have been aware of your monster situation for a little bit now, and I was hoping to find answers, which I found. The monsters here are just a distraction, to prevent the princess from going on her journey!" Sidon was now walking around and looking at everyone in the room, "Because the mastermind behind this whole thing knows if the journey of Dai is complete balance will be restored.

Merric watched as the man walked up to him, grabbed him by his shoulders, and then lightly shook him, "That night in the cave! Did you notice the book the Shadow mage was holding?" Of course, Sidon, being excited, didn't let Merric answer, "Every moment the princess is here is a moment we don't have to waste. The book of darkness is back and the world is in danger! The earth shrine was the first step in opening the book. In the cave, the shadow mage's magic took physical form, which is the creatures you see out now. The book made his magic more powerful, whatever monster that's in that book has found a vessel to help unlock it... And if we don't do something and fast, these monsters will get bigger and stronger!"

Merric watched in fascination as Sidon went around the room talking. Though to be fair he had little to no understanding of what he was going on about. A dark book, a monster trapped inside of it, vessels... What did that all mean?
"What is the book of darkness?" Merric asked the princess curiously... That sounded like the most important thing to understand at the moment

Princess Catria looked on helplessly from her position at Porphyry's and Merric's side, and realised that Porphyry made a start as well as her when her father attempted to get up from his throne. He was not always so sickly, but in recent years he had bouts of fighting something off that took much of his energy. It was beyond her healing, this illness, but maybe not for long. If she can grasp the power that awaited her in each of the shrines, maybe she can easily restore him from this strange malady.

Catria stepped forward to view the map, with Porphyry a step or two behind, and tried to discern what the map Sidon had brought with him said. She followed his pointed finger to the Shadow Shrine's location filled with curiosity. A desert was where to find the shrine? Did that mean that the shadowmancer turned geomancer came from this shrine first if he was to wield shadows, or did that come naturally to him? Regardless, if she were able to gain the blessing of the Shadow Shrine like him, she would be on even footing with the man for making conjured creatures, right? She could help stave off the creatures sent her way and do much for the kingdom that way! She could not help but agree with the thought process of Prince Sidon. The only matter, however, and she turned her gead whilst thinking this, was convincing her father.

Merric's question brought her out of the depths of her thoughts, and she looked over toward him with a slight frown, not due to the question but due to the answer.

"There are legends of an ancient evil being sealed away in a book from long ago, but what evil it is I have no idea. Whatever it is, the name was banished from books' records, at least to my knowledge. All of the copies I have looked for regarding this tale ended with dead ends and lackluster information, mostly about the same topics. I am afraid I cannot say much more on the subject than whatever is sealed in the book must not escape.

"Father," she called out to the king, worried and yet at the same time emboldened, "I must go on this journey. You have heard Prince Sidon, and I believe him to speak the truth. The mage I saw in the Earth Shrine has no doubt conjured these beings that attack us still, and if he gains yet more power and frees the evil within that grimoire, then the world will be far worse than it is now. You will not need to worry for me. The kingdom needs your eye more than I do."

The king looked at his daughter with uncertainty. He had heard about the events that had unfolded in the Earth Shrine, about the snake monsters, and how Sideon had saved her from the strange mage's magic. There were a few things that confused the king in that situation, things he hadn't shared with anyone as he wouldn't know how to prove or to go about investigating them. The book he had was a big red flag, of course, his daughter said he carried a strange book the reacted to the Earth Shrine. But could it be the legendary Book of Darkness... The book was thought to be just a hoax and a fairytale by most. But when you yourself go on a journey to all the shrines, you see how real the book can be. Just the immense power he had in his younger years before his sickness sat in, as the King of Dai and the knowledge that he had gained was evidence enough. But then he himself had seen the Book of Darkness once before. He shuttered at the memory of seeing the book and feeling the immense dark magical power coming from the book. If he had been there with his daughter to confirm that it was the Book of Darkness he could be sure this all wasn't a fool's task. Then there was the magic that the mage used. Shadow magic hadn't been seen in centuries, as there hadn't been a descendant to the Shadow kingdom since its fall back in the ancient days, and usually, only the royal descendant can use its kingdom's magic. Not that it was impossible for a fletching mage to have found ways to use magic. It would be near impossible for anyone to learn about Shadow magic, as there wasn't anyone left alive who could teach it, and the only way to learn it was a privilege to the family of Dai.

But if the Book of Darkness was back again then this journey was important. The book would need to be taken back and looked back up.

"Alright." King Hector said with a sigh, "If you think a journey is necessary Prince Sidon then I believe you. You have never steered me wrong in the past and I doubt you would start right now." The King said. Though he still sounded uncertain about all of this. But it was clear that the king and the prince knew each other, there might even be a glimpse of friendship. "Princess Catria you will prepare for your journey and leave in the morning. Porphyry, as her retainer you shall accompany her as well."

"And Merric." Sideon quickly said pointing at the young teen, who stiffened up as attention was drawn to him, "A young but powerful mage my king. He will serve quite useful in the princess's quest." He said, trying to talk the boy up, though not saying what kind of mage he was.

"Really, this boy is Merric?" The king asked looking at the boy, "My daughter has told me about you boy. Is it true that you use the forgotten Music-craft magic?" He asked

"Yes, my king!" Merric said, immediately bowing as the king addressed him, "Though I really only know a few spells as of now. I am great with earth magic, and prince Sideon has given me a air spell to use."

"Very well, I think you will serve well in my daughter's quest." The king said going to his throne and sitting down, "You three shall be equipped for your journey and leave in the journey. Prince Sideon, you seem to have this plotted out. I will leave it to you to guide them to where they need to go."

"Yes my liege, thank you." Sideon said, giving a small bow

((Sorry for the slowness; many things have come up between then and now, but I hope to make better it with this post.))

Catria could not hide her enthusiasm as the king, her father, allowed her to travel at last. A smile crept up her face as Porphyry and she were to gather their things and join Prince Sidon in this quest. Porphyry himself seemed a combination of both worried and relieved, a sensation of going on a journey he will enjoy along the way if he survived it.

"I'll pack my things to get ready. I'll not be too long, if anyone asks," she whispered to Porphyry, whirling toward the door with her hair and battered clothes rustling from the quick movement. She only made it a short few steps before something caught her ear.

In truth, there was not much left to pack away because she had long hoped that this day would come without knowing how, but she stayed and she listened. Merric was earning merit from her father, which only made her smile grow. The youth deserved every ounce of praise, at least in her eyes, before she slipped out of the chamber doors, seen or unseen by most.

However they meet up, in the throne room or elsewhere, she would catch up with them with some well-thought-out things for the trip, a fire-starter kit being one of them for cooking and warmth, and a low-walled pan borrowed from the kitchen for anything that needed searing. A fair amount of clothes, some rugged and some soft, were procured to stave off heat, cold, and light, though in time she felt that she may not need all of it.

"All ready for the trip," she would pipe up, looking toward the group or person she meets up with with a satisfied smile, regardless of the terror that likely was occurring outside of the walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back