• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Princess and the village Mage

"I-Im alright Princess Catria." The mage said as he stood up, grabbing he flute. Frowning he blew on it and some vines wrapped around the man's mouth... Just to get his small amount of revenge for what he did to the princess. But after that he gave a sigh of relief and smiled at the princess for a second before turning to the man, but the girl with him was the first to act.

She walked up to the princess and dropped to her knees, "Princess Catria, thank goodness you're not harmed." The lady said, her lance hanging on Lana's back as she stayed on her knees.

While they delt with that Merric turned to the man, who smiled softly at them all and strummed his harp once more.
"Ah young man," The man said to Merric, "I thank you for doing your best to protect the princess." He said giving Merric a small bow, making the mage blush.

"Oh um... Thank you I guess." He said bashfully, "Though I didn't do a lot... He trapped us and I wasn't able to do anything." He admitted, which made the bard chuckle.

"No if you hadn't intervened things could have been much worst." He assured Merric and turned to the princess. "Ah princess Catria, future ruler of Dai. I'm glad I made it in the nick of time. My how you have grown since I've last seen you." He said giving a regal bow.

Catria raised a hand above her heart and sighed in relief as well, glad to know that Merric was fine. After the dialogue between them, it was easy to grow fond enough of him to worry about his safety. She could not stay impartial, though when she had witnessed the young female spear wielder she paused and licked her lips.

"Please, no kneeling is necessary. Rise, miss," she spoke, trying to sound crisp and regal when in all honesty her voice cracked from the strain of recent events. Her breath was still ragged and uneven from the dangerous situation that they all escaped. "It was through everyone's efforts that we pulled through."

She directed her attention to the two Music-crafters. The older of the two gave Merric the praise that Catria thought he justly deserved, even if Merric said otherwise. He had a rhetoric that held more power than anything she could think of that she had spoken all of her life. His very words seemed to ooze power. Was this what Merric can be like in the future? When he focused his words on her, she forced herself to speak back.

"I'm glad that you have made it as well . . . though your face is unknown to me," she confessed, biting her lip. "Please, what is your name, and that of your lady knight?" She turned her gaze toward Lana. Was she forgetting her name as well, or was this the first time the two have met?

"Ah I'm sorry princess Catria." The girl said getting back up on her feet and looked at the princess relieved. She was worried that they would have been to late, "Oh! I assume you shouldn't know me... I'm princess Lana the second daughter of the King of Windheim. I am training to be a soldier in Dai though. That man, the prince of the sea kingdom, came and said you were in trouble so we needed to take my Pegasus to get here." She introduced herself. But she backed away as soon as the man walked up.

The man rose after his quick bow. The man, who apparently was a royal, seemed so casual . His smile was soft and the brown eyed would make a boulder melt. Though his clean clothes, fancy style, and just the way he carried himself made it clear that this was indeed a royal man.
"Ah I suppose you wouldn't remember me, "He said with a chuckle, "I played a song for you at your 4th birthday. The first and only time we had ever met." He said to her and smiled at Lana, "You were quite lucky to have a pegasus rider at your kingdom. But we have a lot to talk about. But first you have a unfinished task." He said moving his hand to the earth shrine

"Princess . . . Lana of Windheim?" Catria iterated, her eyes as wide as saucers. I had no idea!"

She did not catch this initially, but she did seem to match the description the royal courts had provided her. Perhaps it was that she did not imagine her in soldier attire or as strong as she was. The wind magic from before . . . was that from her?

Her attention once again was arrested by the man before her, mentioning unfinished business. But what of the man that confronted them earlier? Was he bound enough when he had the grimoire potentially still in his hands? His magic seemed to differ from her spoken kind.

"Yes, I should imbue myself while I have a chance," she said with hesitancy. "Keep an eye on that shadow mage. I do not think we are out of the woods yet."

Stepping up to the altar or dais where the Earth Shrine lay, Princess Catria cupped her staff before her and made a silent prayer before reaching out to the stone, hoping very much that it would resonate with her. It has been a common nightmare that she would not be able to attune to any magics and bring shame to her family. Perhaps here, now, she can prove those nightmares wrong.

Lana didn't seem to take it personally. She had tried to keep it a secret the best she could. She had started as a recruit and worked her way up to squire and was going to be ranked up to knight when the princess got back. So it was understandable why Catria wouldn't know who she was... And then to answer the unasked question. Yes the wind magic was from her.

"Yes milady." The man said as he looked over at the man, who just had a smug look on his face. The man in blue sighed as he knew what was going to happen when the princess activated the shrine. But there was no need to worry the princess with that. They would run into their hooded friend soon enough anyways.

Merric stepped forward wanting a front seat view of what was going to happen. He had been to the shrine hundreds of times and nothing had happened. But then he saw what the hooded man did, actually activating it and he wasn't even suppose to! So what would happen when Catria activated it.

As the princess got to the crystal on the shrine it started to sparkle. Then when she was right in front of it it started to give of a light, like how it did for the hooded man. But, finally, when she touched the crystal the entire room filled with a brilliant bright light, blinding the four spectators of the event. But a warmth coming over them as well. Like how the princess and Merric felt earlier, and this time it was not followed with a freezing cold. But more important the light seemed to be absorbed into the princess... But not just the light from the shrine. But the golden light magic chains holding the hooded man also absorbed into the princess.

The man gasped and smirked and didn't waste a second and seemingly vanished. But nobody seemed to notice as they were to distracted with the princess. Well all of them besides the man in blue, who was not surprised by this and just let out a sigh

Princess Catria's eyes grew as the crystal gave off light and sparkles, the illuminating crystal warm and pulsating that warmth. She felt a flood of elation surge from her heart and into her mind; she was able to resonate with the stone, and that was colossal to her. Even with the light surrounding her and being absorbed by her, she did not feel an dram of discomfort, and when the process was finished and the light faded she breathed out a sigh.

"That was . . . quite the something," she spoke as if under her breath, her staff tapping the ground as she revolved to face the group. However, something was different. She scanned the room again and her eyes narrowed as she realised what changed. "Where is the man with the book?"

Merrics eyes sparkled with excitment seeing the entire room fill with light. It was like finding out a wall had a secret entrance behind it! He had been to the shrine how many time through out the years and nothing like that had ever happened before. It was amazing!

But then she pointed out the man with the book had vanished. Looking around he saw that she was right! So he grabbed his flute and rose it to his lips, ready to use it if need be. Which the man in blue rose a eye brow at that... Curious if the boy planned on using the flute as a weapon. But before he could witness it he cleared his throat.
"Sadly, Princess Catria, when you activated the shrine all magic had been cancelled." He explained, "Even though it was for just a second, the man was able to cast a spell and escape. This is my fault for not bringing any rope to bind the man." He said and gave her another quick bow, "I feel you will run into him again. But please princess, do not let that distract you. You've taken the first step on your journey and the people of the village are waiting in excitment to see the princess whom imbued herself with the earth shrine." He told her.

Merric lowered the flute from his lips a bit uneasy. But the man in blue seemed to be sure the man in the hood was gone.
"Who are you anyways?" Merric asked the man, who glanced over at Merric glancing him up and down. It was like he was looking for something from Merric, but after a few seconds shook his head.

"My apologies." He said as he kept his soft smile on his face. He took his large hat off, revealing dark brown hair that had been neatly combed back and tied into a small pony tail with a blue ribbon, "I guess introductions are still in order. I am Prince Sidon Meglav

Merric flinched hearing that, as the meant he was on the room with three royals! Two princesses and a prince stools right on front of him, and a couple of hours ago he didn't if he believed in royals! Talk about having your foot in your mouth.

But Merric wasn't allowed to think about it long, as Sidon put his hat back on and looked at Merric, examining him once more, and said, "And who might you be boy." He said.

"Me?" Merric asked still in shock, "I'm Merric, a Music-craft mage is training. Grandson to the village elder." He introduced and attempted to bow like his grandfather did to Catria. But the man was a bit quicker than the princess in his rejection of the formality.

"No need to bow." He said almost as soon as Merric started to bow, "My brother is the king, if you ever see him now then. But I detest such acts." He said.

"So when I touched the stone," Catria brought to voice, her eyes wide with sudden enlightenment, "then magic was nullified and he escaped?"

She stumbled back a bit at the thought, face melancholy. She had aided in his escape, in that case, though she did not intend to do so. He was certainly a contending threat, armed with knowledge and power. That book he carried seemed especially dangerous. Who knew how many spells were nestled within its covers, and what powers can be unlocked if he were ever to visit the other shrines? Earth was a potent elemental magic full of vitality and substance, able to make shadows take a physical form. She especially worried about other magics. What if he can combine more than two elements?

This was her studiousness overwhelming her again, and she shook her head free of thought of her new rival. Now was the time for introduction, as she listened in to the others and their greeting each other.

"It is a pleasure meeting you, Prince Sidon, and thank you," Catria replied, bowing her head but only that in greeting. "I am Princess Catria of Dai, as you all probably know already." She shuffled a little closer, her eyes raised to meet everyone's. Trying her best to conquer her nervousness, she continued. "I am grateful to each and every one of you for being here. I cannot offer much beyond a princess' gratefulness for saving her life, but I hope you will stay for the festival where, if you would like, an announcement for your bravery can be given. You all deserve this much at least."

She allowed herself a two-fold small smile. Part of it was out of pride that she accomplished this little speech; the other part was one of mirth that Porphyry might not fully agree upon but had no choice but to accept her wishes.

Last edited:
Merric looked down a bit sheepish. He hasn't even noticed the man's absence until someone had pointed it out. But what could he have done anyways? He had gotten his butt handed to him in the battle that took place just a few moments ago, what would have changed the our come of another battle with the man. But that didn't matter now, Princess Catria had imbued herself with the earth shrine. So who cares of the man got away? This was about him this was about Catria.

"It was my honor as a knight to protect the princess." Lena said with a smile, "And I would be honored to accompany you!"

"Yes go and celebrate." Sidon said, "Enjoy the moment of peace... For traveling will take a lot out of you." He assured her but then glanced at Merric once more, "You lad, we must talk when we leave this cave." He said... Which made Merric gulp on nervousness. The man had been eyeing him for a few minutes now.

"O-Ok." The young mage said with a head nod but turned to the princess, "I've never seen the shrine do that before princess! It was magical!" He assured her with a smile.

Princess Catria felt her face well up with joy as she looked between everyone. All seemed to be interested in the festivities and she was glad for the company, though Prince Sidon seemed like he was not going to participate in the revelry. Perhaps he had much to think about or work on, though she had to wonder what. He especially seemed to take an interest in Merric, possibly because of his budding talent in something that Sidon appeared to master. She smiled, glad for Merric, though Merric himself had some semblance of worry.

"It was quite magical," she voiced softly, but with enthusiasm, dropping whatever royal presence she had earlier. "I had never felt this way before. It was a sensation of wholeness, of being complete, but with a long journey ahead of me. Even still, after coming here, I feel more heartened to continue my journey, partly out of the good company provided me." She looked between everyone. "Thanks again, all of you. Now, let's see if we can see the sunlight again. I want to test what I have gained in an area where I do not need to worry about rocks pouring on any of our heads, and the fresh air of the town and fields brings me a certain calm hard to replicate."

Everyone smiled and nodded their heads at the princesses praise and invitation to go to the celebration to. Merric in particular was glad that they were leaving the cave. A place he had visited many times in his life, never having any fear to be there, could have just became his grave. It was a eye opener to say the least.

But even that wasn't going to a damper on the mood. Could they have dies, yes. But they didn't, they were saved, and the princess imbued with the shrine. There was no reason to be bitter about what happens. Plus if Merric ever ran into the mage again he would be prepared.

"Alri let's go!" Merric said as he turned and lead the way out of the cave. Sidon immediately walking beside Merric and the two started to talk about Merrics magic. It wasn't anything he hadn't heard before. It's a rare gift, a strong kind of magic, etc and etc.
"Well I need to get some proper training with a instrument." Merric sighed holding his flute. His flute was the only thing he really knew how to use and still it proved not very effective against the Shadow Mage, "Then how to use the magic properly... Was it difficult for you to learn how to use music craft?" Merric asked Sidon, which the man have him a confused look before looking down at his harp and understanding.

"Ah, I see where the confusion came from." The man said with a small chuckle, "Sadly I am not a Music-craft mage. I am a water mage, but my late wife, she was a water mage!" He said, "This harp, it was hers, and was imbued with the power of light magic." He said, starting to explain his harp, "Special items in this world can be imbued with elements. This imbuing process can't be controlled... A sudden burst of emotion is needed to imbue a item. That's why some people have lucky charms, personal weapons, and other things of that natural." He continued on, "My wife... She died giving birth but when the held the baby in her arms she started to play a song as she died, smiling at the child." He said, telling the harps story, "She was over joyed that she got to hold her son in her last moments that it filled the harp with a the power of light magic."

Merric stared at the man in aw as he listened to the story. He had never heard about imbuing items with magic before. That sounded so cool! And he even had a example of it by when the man has played the harp earlier.

"Wow..." Merric said as they continued walking, unable to say anything else. He wanted to ask about the man's son... If his mom was a Music-craft mage th n th son could be as well! But he couldn't find the words to ask the man about it. Plus the man wore a grim expression on his face. His fingers lightly ran across the glowing white strings of the harp, but he didn't play them. It was clear the memory of his wife and her death was painful for the man.

So Merric let the matter slide for now and continued to lead them out.

Princess Catria was heartened when everyone courteously nodded and started heading out. Introspective at first, she pondered over the nature of this gathering. It seemed almost as if it were divine providence that brought them together, a strange blend of events that culminated to the meeting of three royals of different nations. Perhaps it was too strange and out of the ordinary. Were the others knowpedgeable about each other beforehand? Either way, they saved her, so they could not be too untrustworthy, and Lena seemed like she was not one to hold in a secret for too long, but that was just by gauging from surface-level observations.

Prince Sidon drew next to Merric, engaging him in what seemed to be an intensive conversation pertaining to magic and Sidon's family, and Catria did not want to interrupt them as they engaged in something of interest to both of them. So, as a result, her interest was focused on the other princess in the group. The fellow blue-haired individual was brave, capable, physically able if the attire matched her smooth musculature and the spear, and holding a fine poise. Catria did not have many friends her age, and very few of them girls such as herself. Getting a topic in mind, she jogged to Lena's side.

"Princess Lena?" she started off, her eyes focused as she was trying to contain the excitement burbling within her lile a mountain stream. "I was curious about something. You are a knight of your country as well as a princess, correct? Do you perhaps know how to ride a horse or maybe a . . . well, a pegasus? I have ridden only our landbound horses from time to time, so I was curious."

"Yes, Princess Catria, can ride a horse. But pegasus riding is my specialty." She said, standing tall as they walked showing her royal background. She didn't slouch, every step seemed to be proper, her balance didn't waver. Even the spear, it's blade part pulsing a white magic, as it sung from it sheath on her back seemed to stay perfectly still as she walked down the cave. "As a princess a Windheim it is customary for me to know how to ride on one. But I always prefered riding a Pegasus other then a horse. I was even able to tame my own Pegasus." She said. Though she looked like she wasn't particularly interested... A glitter of excitment was in her eyes talking about the flying horse.

Merric and Sidon kept talking about music craft. Merric was amazed, though Sidon wasn't a Music-craft mage himself he had been married to one... That was the closet he had ever come to another music craft mage... So he was shooting off questions as fast as he could.
"I wish I could answer all of your question Merric." Sidon said a bit amused at the teen. But pulling out a sheet of paper, and the feather out of his hat, the prince drew five lines on the paper and wrote down wrote a bunch of eighth notes on it "I noticed you use that flute as you instrument of choice." He said and held his hand out for it. "Let me play this really quick." He said.

Merric, who was a bit weary to give up his instrument/weapon, handed and I the prince. Thankfully it wasn't so dark that the prince couldn't see the paper. As he was handed the flute he gave Merric the paper to hold for him and he started to play (Here's the link to the song since the link text isn't working: ).

Merric focused on the man as he played, looking at his fingering as he played to quick peppy song. Trying to understand the emotion behind the song that the man played... After a minute of the man playing he held the final note for a few seconds. He cleaned the mouth piece with a handkerchief, like he had done before playing, and handed it Merric.
"Now you try." He instructed the boy trading him the flute for the paper and held the paper out.

"Um... I can't read." Merric said looking at the dots on the page... It might as well been scribbles and dots to him, "But I think I can remember what you played." He informed the man as he closed his eyes. As they walked, getting close to the cave entrance Merric blew the first note. He held it for a few seconds as he ran through the song in his hands for a few seconds. But when he blew on the flute a small breeze I am down the cave.

Catria looked on with wonder at her fellow princess, marvelling at how she was able to maintain her balance and posture to such a high degree of refinement. Lena held herself in such a manner that would leave Catria so self-conscious that it would doom her to failure in some manner. Perhaps the military discipline had lent some of its aid to her in this regard? Porphyry had relaxed since earlier days, but he held a similar rigidity. Perhaps . . . no, her father would not allow her to be taught by soldiers, at least not without working her way into training with Porphyry. Maybe when the trip is done she can ask him about posture tips.

There she went again, off on her own tangent in her mind, though it seemed that the question was a rousing success. As much calm as she presented, Lena's eyes glowed with a bit of passion towards horseback riding, or more specifically the riding of pegasi. Catria was jealous of Lena. To ride the back of a pegasus would be a dream come true, the winged horse a majestic image even compared with its other, earthbound cousins who had majesty of their own.

"You tamed your own mount? Alone?" she asked, marvelling at such a feat as taming your own pegasus.

Some riders had to be brought to horses as foals to ride them, and some broken by others to assert upon the horses the need to obey. Lena must have been quite the marvel, dwarfing Catria's abilities, at least in her eyes.

"That is amazing," she confessed, a full smile painted on her face. "In Dai I have only ever learned of how to ride a horse, but it is would be fantastic to ride a pegasus someday. I hope it to be possible."

From before the two, Merric and Sidon arrested Catria's attention, the two starting up into some musical session with Merric's flute, with flowing notes weaving together in intricate strands of music. They passed along a note of what looked like sheet music, filled with eighth notes and peculiar markings that she did not quite understand along a bar of lines. She had never been very musically gifted, though she did know of some music by looking over a band's shoulders and, only sometimes, stealing away to find out what made the musical scores so "magical."

For all of the trained gift that Sidon seemed to have, able to play the instrument dexterously and with abundant grace, Merric held a particular know-how that impressed Catria. A small puff of wind blew around her head, toying with her hair before tossing it in strands over her shoulders. Was this due to his magical talent as a mage of songs, or was this the elemental shrine, if it was sentient, sending him off with its blessing, pleased with the music? She did not know, but this place seemed to get a little more lively than before, richer in some sort of feeling that filled her with pleasant thoughts.

"Yes on my own. I wasn't suppose to go out on my own. But I didn't need a audience to watch me." She said. Taming and breaking a horse was a lot different then taming and breaking a horse. It can take weeks or months to break a wild horse. But pegusi they were magical they had a connection to the wind shrine. So all you need to do is mount the flying horse and get it to calm down, and staying calm in the process yourself. Then you have a link with the pegasus. But it is dangerous if you can't stay calm, if you get angry or panic while one them they'll try to buck you off.

Merric continued to play the song, his fingers dancing on the holes of the flute. But as he played the wind in the tunnel started to pick up, a tingly feeling ram through his body as he played it. Sidon held his large hat down as his coat flew with the air. But as the song ended the wind stopped and formed into a ball infront of Merric. The teen stared at the ball surprised.

Sidon reached over and grabbed the ball, crashed it in his hand, then releasing making a burst of air come from his hand.
"Certian instruments are better with different elements." He told Merric, "And if you play the proper song with that instrument you can cast spells like this." He said with a smirk and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a bronze treble clef pin and put it on Merrics tunic, "This pin shows your a Music-craft mage."

"Is that so?" Catria answered, eyes still studying the princess knight with an unwavering stare before she brought them earthbound before her feet. It probably was no secret that she quite admired Lena's self-sufficiency. "I think that is a special trait. I would like to mirror it, only my parents would probably never allow me on a pegasus till I am able to rule. Still, though, perhaps you can teach me when the time comes? I would adore to be taught how to ride a pegasus by you."

A chill of gushing deep-earth winds surged past her, causing her to protect her garments from blowing up and away. Whatever magic Merric wielded here, it was truly impressive. Music craft seemed like an ultimate source of magic, able to conjure up earth, vine, and winds. Nature itself seemed to be his ally! She hoped that in time she would be able to master magic like he seemed to accomplish doing. She was tempted to start trying to manipulate the earth here and now, but she did not for two reasons: what if she made a fool of herself in front of all of these people with faulty or terrible magic, and what if she brought about the collapse of a tunnel? Either way she did not want to be at fault.

She approached Merric and Prince Sidon, her gaze drifting to the pin and smiling at its design. She did not have to read music to understand the curling figure.

"The pin looks good on you," she replied amicably to Merric, pleased for the young man and finding it quite fitting. It made him seem more complete, she supposed, much like visiting the shrine made her feel more complete. Having a badge of what is important to the person can make them appear more credible or even self-assured. She wondered if she had anything like that, besides her trusted staff.

"Well as the second born I had to make my own name. Since my elder sister got the throne, I had to do something that would show everyone I wasn't a helpless princess." She said as her hair blew straight back. She wasn't concerned with her skirt flying upwards as she had iron leggings under it. But even she was baffled at the power of the spell just cast, she had lived by the wind crystal all her life and mages spent years trying to cast magic that strong and this random village boy did it with a few notes and a flute! "Well I didn't exactly have permission to do it. But to prove that I did it I had to do it alone. That way no one could accuse me of needing help." She said, "I suffered a broken arm and rib. But nothing that didn't heal." She said to the fellow princess. If Lana was this tough how rough was her sister?

"Thank you Princess Catria!" He said with a smile looking at it. The bronze treble clef seemed to sparkle in the dark cave, as it was perfectly polished. "And thank you prince Sidon."

"Do not mention it young mage." The prince said with a chuckle. "That is the sign that you are a apprentice Music-craft mage. There are two others and silver and a gold one. My late wife gave them to me and told me if I were to fine a Music mage to take him under my wing." He continued on, which was pretty forward since he hadn't even asked Merric if he wanted to be a apprentice.

"Thank you sir!" Merric said again in amazement. This was like a dream come true. Here was a man who knew something about Music-craft, at least he knew more the Merric or the village elder did, and had already claimed him as his apprentice!

"I would off you to come back to Tunetide with me. But if you want to be my apprentice you'll have to prove yourself." He said before turning to the princess, "Princess Catria. Your journey to the other shrines has begun. I ask you to hold before coming to Tunetide. You will need to be there in three months, that's when the Full Moon ceremony takes place and the tide hiding the water shrine will be lifted. If you can plan your timing you should be able to get at least two other shrines before the time you need to visit my kingdom. I ask you to let Merric accompany you, his magic will be of great help. And if he is useful to you and you give him a good report when coming to my kingdom, then he shall get his Silver pin showing he is under training to be a Music-craft mage."

One really had to marvel at Lana, and Catria for certain did. She was quite the trooper and carried herself like one. Perhaps one day she should try to emulate her fellow princess back at home, but for now she had to follow her mandated goal. This was but the first step in acquiring what she longed for -- a sense of completeness -- and the road was going to be long, especially if she was to be hounded by that imp of a man, the shadowmancer with that dreadful book. She gulped just thinking about it.

At the very least, it did not seem like she was to be alone. Her trusted retainer was going to be there who she felt could take on a nation by himself, and the prospect later offered by Prince Sidon of Merric startled her. She looked over to the young music-crafting mage with a cautionary glance, unsure if he was going to accept or not. Did he not have a life to lead and goals of his own to accomplish? She would admit, however, that his company would be welcome on the road, and his magic would be very beneficial if conversation turned to blows. Together they can possibly achieve bloodless victories, with her healing and his binding magic! That certainly would be something.

"That would be very beneficial, yes . . . though only if Merric is in agreement with the idea. I do not wish to rip him from his livelihood or his goals, though I feel that we travel the same path." Her blue eyes darted over to Merric, and her lips puckered as she sucked them in in worry. "Merric? Would you accompany me? I would understand if you choose not to."

((Itinerary: Fire Shrine, Wind Shrine, Water Shrine and others later for now.))

"Yes I agree, he will." Sidon said to the princess with a smile as they got out of the cave. The sky darker with the sun setting in the distance, the sky a bright red color. "And princess Lana, you should attend the princess in her journey as well. And then your guardian will be there as well. Having the prince and princesses of the kingdoms following you will help you." He said to her, "Of course you have my support and I wish I could help you other then stopping the villian. But I have... Things to attend to." He said as he looked towards to where the dessert kingdom is. "Things are coming... But don't let that stop you. Take time and learn the power of the Earth shrine and go on your journey." He told her.

"It would be my honor to accompany you Princess Catria." She said with a quick bow, "And who knows with this time we'll spend together I may help you tame your own stead or even a pegisus." The princess said with a smile.

"I would be honored to join you!" Merric said with a smile. It was weird... That day he hadn't been sure how real royalty was nor how he would get to Tidetune. Then he had escorted the princess to the shrine and had been invited to travel with her and go to all the different kingdoms.

Princess Catria was stunned at first, but delighted by the thought of being around the others on her given quest. It seemed that Merric and Lana were both amicable to journeying across the land to help her, and she was grateful for it. Sidon was otherwise distant, however, and she wondered why. Perhaps he had caught sight of something from afar, though if so it did not grace her eye, and she felt embarrassed to ask of why he stared so intently. So, picking up her voice, she decided upon her actions.

"I think I shall do just that and learn the secrets of the gifts bestowed on me at the castle of Dai for a week's time upon arriving. Merric, Princess Lana, if you could meet with me in a week and two days, we can start our journey and walk the earth together." She flashed a bright smile in their direction, and to Prince Sidon as well. "I look forward to that moment, and hope we will become fast friends if not aleady."

The scents of pastureland and wide fields and groves struck her perhaps greater than the others, carrying with it the scent of ripening apples. Down below were people dedicating themselves to setting up the festival, and she could see some of the heraldry on some of the soldiers as they aided in the tasks. She smiled brightly, happy that this festivity brought people together in such a warm light.

"Until then, let us enjoy tonight," she continued, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Would you all care to join me when speaking to the elder? Merric, I would like you to accompany me at the least."

((Sorry for the slow post.))

A grand journey across the land, going from kingdom to kingdom. It would be a journey of a lifetime, especially for a small village boy. Lena might have ended up going on the journey since they would be going to Windhelm her hometown. But Merric's grandfather had seen three or four different members of royalty start the journey and he hadn't been chosen to join them. But here he was being chosen by the prince of Tunetide to join the princess. In no more than a week either!

The only thing that pulled Merric away from his excitement was the music being played at the village square and the heavenly aroma of food that awaited them. He would have a good time tonight but then he would pack for the journey the next day. His flute had to go, clothing, and provisions. He figured the princess would be well packed when the time would come, but he knew he didn't want to be a leech and not contribute something to the party. He wondered what Lena would pack, her pegasus probably needed special food and other things. But the time for that would come, it was time to attend the festival.
The festival went off without a hitch. There was tons of food, anywhere from stews to freshly baked apple pie! Stories were told by the guards, dancing was after the meal, and the fair wells of the princess and the group. Jagen had even complimented Merric on protecting the princess, which you could have pushed Merric over with a feather after that had happened. But he made sure to say goodbye to the princess before she left. It wouldn't be too long before they would see one another again, just a week.

At least that was the plan. Things changed almost instantly after the night of the party. One night of food and fun had been turned into a day of sorrow. Waking up to screaming Merric rushed out and the demons and monsters that he had seen in the cave were all over the village. Snake-like shadows biting at people, wrapping around people's legs, even some shooting poison. With the help of his grandpa and his earth magic and the new wind song that Merric had learned they were able to fight back the monster and get most of the village people out and to the castle, where the guards were able to fight the monsters following them.

It had been such a rush to get to the castle the trip seemed to be a few minutes. But when everyone was in the castle walls the gates were shut and the monsters were blocked out. Sadly things didn't get better from there... The villages were allowed to stay within the castle walls, as there was a small village within itself and didn't lead right into the castle, where they could be safe from the monsters. They could set up camp, thanks to the supplies given to them by the castle.

But what hurt Merric most was the absence of Princess Catria. Not that the princess would purposely hideaway. But she was under direct order from her father and her king to stay in her room and be guarded at all times. The only visitor she was allowed to have her retainer and the only time she left her room was to go to the courtyard to practice her Earth Magic. All of this not changing in the span of a month.

Jagen went around and used his Earth magic to repair the stone walls of the castle that took damage from the monster's attacks and Merric used his magic to supply fruits and vegetables for food, and even used his wind spell to blow away the monsters. Which after time they went from being just serpents to imp-like creatures that could wield swords and clubs. They also only seeded to attack at night, being made of Shadow magic and would retreat during the morning attack Merric and the Castle guards would make. But slowly the guards fell and their bodies disappeared when the monsters retreated. Things were going down hill and fast, leaving Merric to wonder what to do.

Princess Catria enjoyed that night as best as she was able. After all, this was a festival thrown in her honour, and an attack on her person by a shadowy mage that was stopped by her and others' efforts was not going to get in the way of basking in good food and good company. The stories told by many a soul were heartening and gleeful, and inspired her to think of what kind of journeys and occurrences she would be able to come across. The food was glorious, and she was happy to partake in the apple pie that people had freshly baked. The dancing was her favourite part, however. While she did not partake in that particular portion of the festivities, she adored watching and learning, keeping eyes on people's joyous faces and ever-moving steps with great fascination.

Leaving Merric that night was bittersweet turned bitter. She enjoyed his company and would have continued to do so within a fortnight of her plans were to succeed, but other roads were paved for the world, including herself. The destruction when she woke was unforeseen, the joy turned bitter when the same abominations that assaulted her turned themselves upon the villagers. There was a forced evacuation. The shadowmancy proved too devastating, and the bodies of the fallen could not be revived. Shedding tears for the fallen that stung her eyes, she joined the survivors in a rush toward the castle of Dai.

There they holed up, but every day and every night was filled with fear. Her father locked her away from all but Porphyry, and she practised her newfound ability as well as her healing powers with reddened eyes. Rest came poorly when she did not know how they fared on the walls and beyond. Were they the only ones afflicted with shadowy foes? Was it the shadow man from before that caused all of this? Fear and anger bled into each other in trickles, and that came out in her training. Her magic seemed wild and untamed at first, but over time it and even the emotions became honed. Each pulse of erupting earth, every soothing wave of earth-aided healing magic came strong. She could pick up a boulder and hurl it into the ground ten feet beneath it enough to shake the courtyard walls. Other tricks she tried too, and, successful, she called it a day by the afternoon after a month. She wanted to test it on the walls.

"Going somewhere, Princess?" came the familiar voice of Porphyry from the jamb of the doorway, stroking a developing beard fiery in appearance, like his hair.

"I would like to see my father or the wall," she answered in a puff of air, winded from her magic-based exercises. "I need to see what is going on, and my healing magic will be needed."

"The wall is out of the question. You know that you need to master this magic. It has only been a month."

"A month that could be distributed between healing the warriors that are protecting us and mastering this magic! My father is sheltering me, but I need to heal as well! My gift can be spent more than one way. My father need not know."

"Are you saying that I should turn a blind eye to your father's wisdom and to stanch his trust in both of us?" Porphyry rejoindered, eyebrows showing that he was cross with her. "Catria, if you exhaust yourself there you will not train here. Once we relieve the siege, then your journey may begin in earnest, and for you to be successful you will need all of the training you can get. You have not even fully completed your physical regimen."

"What good would that do?"

"Let me show you."

Porphyry rose from his perch in the door and lunged at her with a hand reaching for her throat. She was ill prepared even with the five meters of distance between them, and the half-step she performed to start her getaway could not save her from getting grabbed. The guards within the room reacted by rushing in and putting their blades up, but Porphyry raised his hand to tell them off.

"You are not yet ready for the front lines," he voiced, retrieving his extended hand. Catria crumbled to the ground, her legs caving beneath her in terror. "Whatever was done to you back then shook you. You need to hone your body as well as your mind to complete your training here."

"I suppose you are right," she replied with tears in her eyes, "but it is a lonely existence. You, me, these guards. I want to see someone new. Can you find Merric and bring him here?"

Porphyry sucked in some air through pursed lips. He wanted to follow his orders to the letter, but he remembered how important friends and companionship were at this age and could not see the harm in a short visit. Then again, she was not her most beauteous moment, and the courtyard was a mess. She seemed aware of that at the same time as he did, fidgeting with her loose-knit clothes and tied-back hair.

"Only a short visit," he agreed. I will fetch him for you."

Her eyes lit up with a glow that he had not seen in a while, and she murmured a thank-you. Smiling back, he walked out.

Wherever Merric was at the time, Porphyry would walk up to him, give him a tight half-bow, and venture to say lowly and with a neutral expression, "The princess would like to meet with you. If you would follow me?"

If Merric accepted, he would wait for him to get ready and escort him through the halls to meet her.

Merric was busy pulling tomatoes from the vines that he grew with his magic, adding them to a basket of vegetables that he had with him. He was putting in overtime for growing crops, that way everyone would have food to eat. It wasn't meat, he obviously couldn't grow that, so salads had been the main course of every meal. But it was better than nothing and people would have food to eat. No shipments of supplies had come in the month they had been hiding in the walls so what Merric grew was always gratefully accepted.

"Ah!" The teen yelped, crunching the tomato in his hand as Porphyry approached him and spoke. Merric had been lost in thought and hadn't noticed the retainer's presence until he spoke. Tomato juice getting all over his clothing. But his eyes looked up in amazement when the red-haired knight told him that the princess wanted to see him. "Really?! Yes of course!" He said, wiping tomato sludge and seeds off of him as he followed the knight. Following him into the stone castle where knights stood guard, all with weapons and shields. Suits of armor decorated the halls and stained glass windows of previous kings and queens stared at him. They even passed a room where a dozen men were arguing over a map trying to figure out the best plan to deal with the shadow monsters. Though Merric didn't have much time to listen in as they quickly walked by. But from the tension in the room there didn't seem to be much of a plan.

But soon they entered into the courtyard once more. It looked like a rockslide had gone through it. Huge boulders tossed to the side, the earth in weird bumps, and a few other things resulting from the princess's training. But standing in the middle of the courtyard was Princess Catria.

"Princess!" Merric said, breaking away from the knight and rushing to the princess stopping in front of her, "A-are you alright? Where have you been? I was worried you were hurt or worst... That you didn't make it back the night!"

Porphyry allowed himself a smile and a chuckle as he observed Merric's surprise, eyeing the boy with interest. A month of acting on the front lines and growing crops did not wither his youth. To him that was an admirable trait. He himself had to grow up fast to enter service to the royal family, and he was a mainstay support for his own family back in the Fire Tribe. He sighed melancholily. Now that he was a princess' retainer, money was not much of an issue anymore, but letters were as much a staple to him as food, and he was starved of those for a while.

He remained silent throughout most of the trip through the castle, partially out of his own inward thoughts, but mostly out of not wishing to apply any more attention to himself for bringing in someone against the king's wishes. Catria, on the other hand, having tried her best to make herself more presentable beforehand, was elated when Merric showed up through the portal of the door, her cheeks bleeding some colour and appearing much more hale in the company of her friend.

"I'm all right, Merric, truly!" she responded, a little surprised that he had thought her injured or dead. Then again, she was not exactly around anytime during the last month and had not thought to ask for him sooner than this. Her duties came first, according to her father. She half-believed it herself, though her thoughts did go out to the soldiers and to him. "I was chiefly between here and my quarters, training as is expected of me. I think I did a little too much redecorating, though. I don't think there is a flower here left untouched." She tossed him an apologetic smile, then a worried frown as she analysed him and his tomato-stained clothes. "How are you, though? I hear you were out fighting the shadows. You're not injured, are you? If you are, just say so and I'll fix you up in all haste."

"Ok, I'm glad." The teen said with a sigh of relief hearing she was fine. Then she mentioned his fighting on the front lines. Thankfully he hadn't been hurt during his battle. He had some close calls with the snake-like monsters wrapping themselves around him. But he was always able to handle it. The imps were too slow and clumsy to hit him thankfully, though they were the monsters that hit hard. "No princess I'm fine." He assured her and pulled his flute out, hearing there were no flowers left. He blew a couple of notes and a right purple and pink flower appeared and he plucked it. "At least the grounds still good." HE said holding the flower out to her.

As nice as this was, being able to see the princess again. He had to wonder what was going on and what plans there were. His home village had been destroyed for all he knew.
"What's going on princess?" He asked her, "Is there some sort of plan? My village has been here for a month and we've gotten little to no word about anything. Are you still planning on going on your journey?" He spat out questions trying to get some sort of sense of the situation. But before anything could be said Merric noticed something. The hissing and grunts from the shadow monsters were gone. The sound that had been almost constant for a month wasn't there, but in its place was the sound of a harp string being plucked as two pegasi flew overhead. A rider with light blue hair and a man dressed in gold blue circled them and slowly came down.

"Ah, Princess Catria." Prince Sidon said as he slid off his Pegasus, he stopped playing his golden harp, took his hat off, and gave a quick bow, "I see things here aren't going well."

"That's an understatement, Prince Sidon." Lena said with a sigh staying on her winged horse, "Princess I found him riding the pegasus during my patrol. This is interesting since males aren't able to tame pegasus, but anyways. He says he needs an audience with your father."

"That I do." He said with a smile on his face, looking pretty cheerful, and even to a skip forward, "Merric it's good to see you again. You two come with me, you'll want to be there for this." He assured them as he got to Porphyry, "You son of the flame chief, you know your way around here. Take me to the king immediately," He demanded and walked past Porphyry. Merric was left stunned at what had just happened. Did Sidon miss the monsters, or did they flee when he showed up, they still couldn't hear the sound of them.

"Um... Do we follow him?" Merric asked the princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back