• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Preternatural's (Heroes Inspired Episodic Tale)

Amora Aurora

Professional Hippie
NOTE: The Targetted Roleplay Genre says Realistic here, though the roleplay is in the Fantasy section, because this is the sort of plot that could appeal to both masses. I know I personally never check Fantasy plots, but this particular one is so low-fantasy and high slice-of-life, that I wanted to make sure everyone got the chance to check it out.

proxy.php

PLOT
On modern day Earth, advanced humans live among the 'impotent' humans in what is mostly harmony aside from the occasional hate crime or prejudices. The gifted, referred to as 'Pretern's, short for preternatural's, are just beginning to outnumber the impotents, but that doesn't stop the pureblooded impotent's from viewing Pretern's as dangerous freaks.

Many Pretern's still live their everyday lives, going to average careers among impotents easily. Some pretern's don't even out themselves, keeping their strange powers to themselves to prevent judgement. Those of the Pretern's that don't make a big deal of themselves are mostly accepted.

Then there are the gifted individuals that use their powers on a daily basis. The group of them that infamously protect New York City from crime, flying around in masks and fighting crime like a story right out of a comic book. No one has any knowledge of the group and they are actually mostly disliked, still being seen as unnatural and dangerous.

It's the dark ones that give the rest a bad reputation. The bullied kids and psychopaths that developed powers and use them to harm others. These are the Pretern's causing riots and boycotts to any company that hires or associates with them. The dark pretern's are the ones making the news and terrifying impotents.

One single threat from a group of Dark Pretern's, and the government has decided they need to be watched closely, putting trackers in their arms and using them as soldiers and body guards. They live unharmed, but they live as slaves, the world's governments too weary of them to grant them complete freedom anymore.

Our story revolves around the group of Preternatural's that refused to have microchips put into their arms like animals, and went into hiding. The Government has trained hunters searching for the runaways, but have yet to track down the community they've formed.

Our story takes place in New York City, New York, where the runaways have taken refuge in the U.S. City with the highest population, and the easiest to go unnoticed in. They work under the table jobs and blend in with society. Hunters are getting more clever with every passing day, though, and although the pretern's are working together, the Hunters are beginning to catch on that they are all most likely in the same region. The only hope the gifted individual's have is their 'hiding in plain sight' strategy and hoping that no one shares their secret with an impotent.

Blend In or Be Hunted.

ELEMENTALS
Elemental Preternatural's are defined by their ability to control a certain element. There are vast possibilities in element manipulation, and more often than not, Elemental's only possess the power to control one aspect of the element, i.e: An individual can control h20 particles, meaning the freezing of water without cold temperatures, whereas another individual might have the ability to simply move the particles, able to cause waves, or manipulate water's position, and a third individual might control the creation of h20 particles all together, the liquid spurting from their fingertips with ease.

SUPERHUMANS
Superhuman Preternatural's are defined by their extraordinary heightened human abilities. This includes but is not limited to things like Super Strength, Speed, Hearing, Healing, etcetera. Also categorized in the Superhuman group are individual's with gifts that mainly affect themselves. A preternatural Superhuman with super healing would only have the ability to heal themselves, in example, and not others. Other miscellaneous powers that would be included in the category are any gifts involving personal gain: shape-shifting, Invisibility, Flying, Self-teleportation, and so on.

IMPACTS
Impact Preternatural's are defined by their ability to use their powers on others. Impacts have some of the worst crime rates due to their abilities to affect their peers. Though they're not as hated as Superbrains, they're certainly disliked. Grouped in this category would be gifts along the lines of cloning, ability to teleport others, ability to heal others, and the coveted ability to simply make other preternatural's abilities useless for a period of time. Impacts include any preternatural that can affect others physically.

SUPERBRAINS
Superbrains are by far the most feared, and simultaneously most hated of the preternatural's. Their gifts are even more difficult to understand than the other groups, and so they are often outcasted or even hunted down. Superbrain abilities include but are not limited to: Dream Manipulation, Empathy, Protective Forcefields, Lie Detection, Memory Manipulation, Persuasion, Precognition, and Time-Manipulation. An individual in the Superbrain category has abilities well beyond normal brain function, and uses much more of their brain capacity than others.

ezgif-3764470244.gif

Something to remember

I've split up the usual popular powers into smaller versions of themselves for a reason. There are thousands of Pretern's all over the world, yours is not the most powerful. Stick to one power for now. This limit will be broadened as the story goes on, though the second powers will be assigned to you via PM

Up to four characters per Preternatural category will be accepted. If you see four Superbrain character sheets, don't sign up for one.

Gameplay

As the GM, I've got a very good idea of where this story is going, and how it's going to end. I don't want this to be like the several 'people with powers' roleplays you see scrolling through the forum that die quickly. This will be a detailed, very involved but slow paced roleplay that I will guide along, but ultimately leave interactions and relationships among characters up to you. I would like to do it in an episodic format. I will set a scene, things will play out for a few pages, I'll set up scenario's and obstacles for the characters to face, and the episode will end once goals are met or cliffhangers are in place.

1b1a97d1e4b632cf2420c8b459702a34.jpg

Something to remember

Pretern's in hiding are from all over the globe, and can be from various walks of life or ages. Straying away from all playing the same type of character would be appreciated.

The CS form will not be posted here. If you'd like to submit a character sheet, PM me a detailed writing sample (can be from other roleplay, story, college paper, etcetera) and if it passes, I will give you the CS form to fill out. This is to prevent people putting hard work into characters I don't accept, and Sign-up clutter.

The Babes: (If you're one of my babes and I didn't tag you I promise it's just because you've been too busy to roleplay and I don't want to hassle your beautiful soul.)

@Veirrianna Valentine

@Asylumnated

@AlwaysYours

@oOBubblesOo

Holy moly, you've really gone all out with this one. Looks amazing so far. I'm not sure when I'll get a writing sample in, though. :P Gotta scour my files for some of my nicer works. Love everything that's going on with this right now, by the way, and I love that you've planned it out so well! @oOBubblesOo

@pulpfiction we can consider Jill Olsen your writing sample, don't even worry about it <3 The sample is just to familiarize myself with everyone's writing styles and I'm already familiar with yours. Just PM me when you're ready/if you want the coded character sheet.

Thanks a bunch for the compliments, by the way! I've had this in the works for at least a month, trying to perfect every detail. Glad it shows!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure thing! Tag me when the thread is out, though. I might not get until the upcoming weekend to finish a nice CS.

Effervescent said:
@Raerae you gonna do Rachel or Isaiah? lol 'cause I'm totally going to try to play Darren here
Lol! Rae as an empath, and if I decide to include an impotent, then probably Isaiah. Why, got any ideas?? ;P

Sounds great! Thank you for thinking of me. I will be sending a writing sample shortly. I have the perfect character whipped up for this, though I'll have to make some modifications, especially since Rae will be used here! (Same FC used for my character, but I have plenty of other lovely ones I can use!)

I love this, but you know me too well babes. I'm way too busy to commit to another roleplay right now haha. If you give me a month or two, will it be too late to jump in?

Akeira said:
Sounds great! Thank you for thinking of me. I will be sending a writing sample shortly. I have the perfect character whipped up for this, though I'll have to make some modifications, especially since Rae will be used here! (Same FC used for my character, but I have plenty of other lovely ones I can use!)
Aw, sorry man, she's just the only face claim I'm comfortable with <333 Sorry!

Raerae said:
Aw, sorry man, she's just the only face claim I'm comfortable with <333 Sorry!

That's completely fine! <3 I'm glad you found a face claim that you're comfortable with, and I love the different things you've done with Rae in the past. I'll probably be using Kaya Scodelario for this one, but I haven't completely decided yet.

Akeira said:

That's completely fine! <3 I'm glad you found a face claim that you're comfortable with, and I love the different things you've done with Rae in the past. I'll probably be using Kaya Scodelario for this one, but I haven't completely decided yet.
Aw, thank you! I know whatever you choose will be awesome, looking forward to writing with ya!(:

I am interested (also <3 for tagging me) but I feel this might be too similar to somethingSTRANGE (*cough, where you still gotta post :P *cough*), maybe? With the realistic + slight supernatural stuff. I am a bit on the fence, but it does look good, that's for sure. I might sign up still. :) Do you want me to send in a sample or am I okay without it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back