• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Monster Adventurers (Closed)

Hazmat44

Ignore the radiation. I do that all the time.
So I had a fun idea for a D&D-esque adventurer party, except it's a group made up entirely up of non-human characters. And I don't mean tabaxi and drow - I mean full-on dragonets, bugbears, skeletons, take your pick! I didn't want to start figuring out a full-blown plotline until I got more people on board. I dunno if anyone would be interested.

So, is anyone interested?

Party alignment ranges from neutral good to chaotic neutral. All of the above would be fine. It's less of a "level up and grow to be unstoppable adventurers" and more "money has a tendency to grease a lot of wheels, and this seems like the easiest way to get money."

Nothing too gigantic/overpowered (although it'd be hilarious to see a deity nerf themselves to 'give mortality a shot'), but I want it to be fun instead of a slog.

In terms of plot I kind of figured it'd be funny if we just... start in a classic tavern
Except every standard NPC there is terrified.
And it's never explained how anyone got there, they're just... there.
And if they try to think about how they got to the tavern, they hit a blank
Some think they were drunk, others wonder if it's a yoga thing, but none of them know the truth...

I'd say the Mandalorian is a decent bar to set. Absolutely willing to kill, totally fine with robbery if it means his objective is furthered, but not like... Malicious.

Very custom. I don't know what either of those are, so I'll be 100% spitballing.

If it's a vote of confidence for my spitballing, I wrote a Doom fanfiction without ever having played Doom, and it has almost a million views now.

So, in a moment of panic, I googled the pantheon list for 5E D&D.
Wow, that's a lot.
So... all of them, and they frequently argue over who gets what, often hiring adventurers to sabotage each others' temples.

You can pretty much invent your own species if you want to, just PM me the CS beforehand and I'll check it over for approval. Minimum information is as follows:

Name:
Species:
Equipment:
Skills:
Physical Description
Personality:
At least one physical weakness and at least one psychological or mental weakness, i.e. not good at math or low on stamina.
If you want to include a backstory in the CS that's up to you; if you want to include a personal goal that is also up to you.
There is no maximum amount of information; include as much as you want.

If there are any questions absolutely feel free to DM or ping me. My sleep schedule is screwed, I'll almost definitely be awake.

Well like I said, it's not actually D&D, only similar to it in the sense of an adventuring party, high fantasy, mages and tanks and clerics, etc. I figured combat could be based on dice rolls, because why the crap not, that sounds fun, but not having... attack damage, I guess?

Thanks a ton for asking questions, by the way. So much stuff that I should've clarified to begin with that I just didn't think of.

Any sort of dice/random outcomes seem like they would lend themselves considerably towards shenanigans as powerful/competent beings might end up blundering sometimes. That could skew the roleplay towards a considerably more comical tone,if that's what you're going for.

As you said,"starting in a tavern" is a pretty good possible start,contrasting the nature of the party. And while we don't need a detailed world map with every nation and species listed,it might pay to decide on a couple of setting details and overall tone. Like if it's steampunk/magitech,"medieval" fantasy,or maybe somewhat anachronistic (like Naruto having TVs/radios). As well as if our group has an initial goal. Maybe there's an evil overlord or at least an overarching empire? Or a mystery that needs investigating?

Or we just start by taking jobs to slay rats or whatever.

A comical tone is assuredly what I'm going for. Mind flayers and skeletons and driders rubbing shoulders would likely end in catastrophe under any normal circumstances.

Medieval fantasy is probably ideal, to maximize monster variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back