The Melkin Fool in Red

I must say I never got to read the book but Tim Curry's portrayal in the movie sure enough sold me on the fact of how fucking creepy they could be.

It is still one of my favorite King books.  Probably because it reminded me a lot of my own childhood--which was the point--and those golden and magic years just as you're discovering girls, the intense camaradarie that develops between young folks at that age.  King did an amazing job on the characters, and in part, the book was so long, I think, because he didn't want to leave those characters, wanting to stay with them and in their world, hearing their voices.  It was a transporter back in time for bits of my own childhood, and I loved the characters so much.  

In a way, it was an extension of what he did with The Body, and in that vein, it was a remarkable piece of work.  It took King out of the realm of a teller of Gotcha! stories, into a great character generator.  In my mind, King approached Pat Conroy or John Irving with It, two writers who build intense works based on very human relations.

Nice. The odd Abyssals who try new things to appear heroic and are secretly vile are something I've been dying to try out.
What of a southern Abyssal with a Cult following the true path of Set from oWoD.

Freedom from taboos begets

Enlightenent begets

Transcendance into Oblivion.

When I was a kid, I happened across "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" and it creeped me out for weeks afterward.  One of the things that creeped me out the most was when one of the Killer Klowns was standing by a bus stop that had several people sitting on the bench.  He made shadow puppets for the bystanders and applauded him.  Then it showed the Klown making a shadow puppet of a tyrannosaur and it bent down and swallowed the shadows of the people sitting on the bench.  When the camera pulled away, the people weren't on the bench anymore.

That freaked me out.

Another thing was the fact that the Klowns put people in stasis by shooting a ray gun that covered the victims up with cotton candy.  They would hang them in their circus tent spaceship and when they were hungry, they would pierce the husk with an overly elaborate crazy straw and suck the blood out.

Imagine necromancy spells that are capable of doing those things.

It was the 80s man, look at all the shitty movies, especially in horror. It was a completely ridiculous movie in every sense, and I think it was meant to be. Seriously, you think it sounds bad, watch it and see how much worse it can get.

Yes, you're right, "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" is a really bad B-movie.  However, I was an overimaginative 10-year-old when I saw it and didn't know better to laugh instead of be creeped by it.  I managed to get my hands on a copy of it a year or two ago and watched it as an adult and I admit now that it is cheesy.  Still, those two things still creep me out.

So, I suppose you then scoff at the genius that was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

The 80s and 90s had GREAT B-movies. Great Bad Movies.  Heck, I need to collect the whole Full Moon movie library.  That was some choice cinema.

And a lot of Charlie Spadderling boobies.  Well, OK, Charlie has a lot of boobs to begin with, but she showed them off well, and often...

Bad Film tries hard.  Doesn't always succeed, but it tries like hell.  I can appreciate a good effort.

And sometimes you just need a little silly.  

It doesn't excuse poor film making, but a Bad Movie is its own reward.

Hmm a bit off topic but then again back on topic...since I'm being prolific tonight, and some of the ideas (about the freak circus) on here have sparked my creativity. Any plots anyone would like to see? I write em mainly for my Plot Forming thread and let it out there as an open pool of ideas to float and yoink for your own use. Anyone have any ideas that I can add to my offerings for the night?

Well, on the creepy circus freak thing...spine chain tightropes, zombie clowns, skeletons juggling their own flaming heads, eerily beautiful ghosts riding on decaying mounts...

Now, I want a full Abyssal circle for my idea...I've only got the Melkin Fool in Red so far...I'm thinking of a Ringmaster...haven't come up with a cool name yet, and I haven't decided what castes I'm gonna make them...ideas anyone? Names, castes, descriptions?

Man, I've got a wicked idea for the Ringmaster. Dressed in something like 1920s vaudeville, long coat, top hat, but it's his face that you remember along with that way of talking.

His face is pulled back, looks like he has no eyelids nearly, with a permanent mad grin on his face and a delightfully mad look in his eyes. He speaks even like a vaudeville man would, but he sort of chuckles with every few words, like he knows the greatest joke in the world and you don't. Even when he's serious he's smiling and shaking with unkempt laughter. He moves in a calm, sure fashion, and he knows he'll haunt your dreams when you see him. He works with that, it amuses him, partly, that most of his clowns and his circus are those who couldn't get his laughter out of their heads...

I'm pretty sure it was the Lover Clad in the Raiment of tears...not sure...at the moment' date=' I'm thinkin of having her somewhat like batman's harley quinn...leading a circus of the damned akin to the red triangle circus in batman returns...only with zombies[/quote']
Description of the Melkin Fool in Red (pp 96-97 of Exalted: The Abyssals):

Deathknight of 'The Lover Clad in Rainment of Tears'.

Ringmaster of the Circus Moribund.

Deceptively frail woman of deathlike-ivory skin.

Wears a skull-shaped half-mask.

Dressed in skin tight black with red and yellow scarves.

Bright-red hair and full blood-red lips.

Prankster and master of insults.

Master of Disguise.

So, maybe she's like an old version of Harley.  Or, just supremely anorexic.

"I'm going to be a master of disguise! I'm going to be a master of disguise! I'm going to be a master of disguise!"

'GREAT MOTHER OF MELKAV!!'

A secret tryst between The Melkin Fool in Red and Typhon births three male children over the ages:

The first child of the three was a boy by the name of Salut, strong in mind, but bipolar.

Second came Melkav, named for his mother, he bore her brand of madness and saw enlightenment and joy in bringing madness to the world

Set was born last of the three children, with a tongue of the smothest silk and a heart black as night, he learned the ways of coruption from his parents' masters and sought to send the world into oblivion in their honor, adding his father's name to his own in a show of faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back