• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Masquerade Troup! (V.02)

Bird

They certainly aren't professionals. Through a variety of sources, the villain knew full well what their plan was. On paper, it wasn't...terrible. Each person had a solid role, all of them combining their abilities fantastically, theoretically resulting in a successful heist. However, it required a lot of variables to go correctly. Which, for a professional, simply isn't acceptable. They aren't such yet, though. For being utterly new, thrown into something they aren't ready for...I can appreciate their tenacity. The only cord that they did trip, was the lack of elegance to it all. Burning a hole under the vault, incinerating countless objects, and because of that, leaving a trail for someone smart enough to follow. I suppose I will have to keep an eye for any snooping hounds, that'll come looking for them. Though it only lasted a second, the memory of Sophia resurfaced. This is my flock. Dropping onto the roof of the bank, Bird watched over them silently. Using the sharp edge on his mask's nose, he poked open a rift. Looking through it, he tried gaining an idea of their progress. According to their original plan, they were to have been in the vault, while Aaron subtly messed with the goons' emotions. And, so was everything he seen. Their coordination without vocal confirmation is commendable.

Nothing had gone wrong, at least thus far. The guards hadn't taken notice to the potential threat, kudos to Aaron, allowing Ryan and Angela to have a picnic of ease. Pulling his head out of the rift, the man stood up to stretch for the first time since yesterday. He had been nonstop with preparations for several days now, using the chance to get better things set up while the little ones played around. I wonder how annoyed they would be to hear me calling them as such? Laughing a tiny bit to himself, the thief allowed himself to relax for a moment. One second too long. His entire neck suddenly ignited in goosebumps, and as an instinct, he rocketed into the air. Right below, where he was standing, exploded. The force propelled the man a solid twenty feet higher, while sending concrete and broken metal raining down into the bank. All around him, the air began to grow horribly hot. Focusing on every sharp point on his outfit, Bird rapidly spun around, slicing tearing reality open, absorbing him into itself. From inside, he witnessed the blast go off. Drifting through the miasma of colors, he traveled to the highest vantage point available. Slipping out of reality, the villain popped into existence on the roof of a building three times as tall as the bank. It took no time at all to find his attacker. A primal portion of his psyche went wild. Like an unstoppable percussion of drums, playing to the tune of a demon, his mind tried breaking free of his restraints on it.

"Hey, duck boy. Don't dodge this one!" The woman's voice screamed out, an octave too low to seem normal. She reminded him of an eel. Small, but able to discharge incredible power. Her blonde hair was silky, and long, flowing over her red and black skin-tight suit. "If you do, I'll rip every damn feather from your stupid face!" Raising her hands, they were covered in an over-sized pair of white gloves. Once more, the air around Bird super-heated, forcing him to jump off the vantage point. Letting out another scream, this time of incoherent rage, she ignited his entire flight path, always just a little too slow. Half of the building melted in an instant, shooting out a cornucopia of debris. The woman threw her vision every possible direction, trying to find the animal.

Meanwhile, Bird floated around in reality, trying his best to not engage his primal senses. A burning desire...a bloodlust of sorts, drove him near crazy. Popcorn. She was another Roamer, and a highly dangerous one at that. That thought alone, thrusted the man past his flock. He wanted to warn them, to make them runaway. But, his own million-miles an hour brain propelled him into action beyond that. Fading out of the colored sea, he was directly behind the woman. Within a millisecond, he drew a blade, and went for the back of her neck. But, she was far too skilled to be taken down so easily. Ducking under the swing, she kicked the man backwards into another blast. Pouring all her rage into it, neither of them were entirely spared from the attack. Bird only had his upper body in reality, trying to escape the assault. And Popcorn simply didn't have the time to jump away. With the roof of the bank officially meeting its end, the rest of the building collapsed upon itself.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Tarmagon Tarmagon Nooguy Nooguy

Aaron Massimo
The bank was filled with sounds of complaint. People annoyed at the blackout, pretend tellers at having lost their solitaire games, customers at the increasingly evident loss of AC inside the building. But thanks to his subtle pushing and pulling on their emotions, not a single person had thought to rush to check on the vault. Everything according to plan. Aaron allowed himself a discrete smile when the dull man before him wasn't looking. This was turning out to be kind of fun. Maybe once the job was done he and the others could go out for a drink to celebrate. Not in the usual place, that would be boring. Would Bird even come?

An explosion rocked the building, like a bomb had gone off. Maybe one had. A large chunk of the ceiling crashed down onto the floor a few feet away from where Aaron sat, noncomprehension paralyzing his body as his mind raced trying to figure out what was happening. Plans fell apart and were remade. One won out over the others. Waves of doubt, fear, anxiety rolled off of his body across the bank.

"The place is under attack!" he yelled, not having to fake the hint of fear in his voice. "Evacuate before the whole place comes down!"

The inside of the bank was suddenly a storm of motion as people ran whichever way their fear-filed minds thought would get them outside fastest. He pushed more fear into the bank and yelled for people to get outside a few more times. He was being heavy-handed with the emotions he was pushing, but hopefully no one would notice as they were driven towards panic. He needed to keep anyone from running towards the vault.

A second explosion, much worse than the first. Oh, so they really did plan on bringing the whole building down, was the hollow thought that drifted through Aaron's mind as the entire ceiling of the bank came crashing down on top of him. Was this the end? It felt so... anticlimactic.

Gears that had been struggling to turn suddenly moved unhindered. Fear choked out blood onto the floor of the control room, Apathy's blade sticking entirely through his body. That silver-eyed emotion stood in front of the wall of spinning gears, arms outstretched with fingers dancing across the controls, a distant look on its face as it entirely focused on the task before it. Outside the door to the control room, an emotion with bright golden eyes smiled and walked away down the hall.

"Anger, let's play," the golden-eyed emotion approached another, this one with eyed red as blood. The other emotion had been lying on the grass, staring up at the events unfolding outside. They were important to Aaron yes, but it was nothing that required Anger's attention. Apathy, that annoying silver guy, would deal with keeping Aaron alive. In the mean time... Anger sat up and brought out a deck of cards to use. "Fine, but no complaining when I beat you again."

Beneath the rubble of the bank, Aaron lay unconscious. He was cut and bruised and bleeding, but he was alive, more tan could be said for most within the bank when it all came down. At the last second before being crushed to death beneath the falling rubble it was as if something had come over him. He'd thrown himself across the room and under the dull bank teller's desk. That man was now dead, crushed only a few feet away.

Ryan watched Angela prepare her entry charges, wondering how Aaron was doing in the bank above their heads. He still wasn't too happy with this plan, but so far, so good. His careful overload of the surrounding power grid would take hours to fix, and even through the thick concrete they should be able to hear anyone mucking about in the vault area. Except for the small sounds of Angela's preparations though, the tunnel was as quiet as a tomb. At least it was quiet until a distant explosion shook dust from the ceiling onto both of them.

"What the hell?" was all he had time to get out before another blast, this one seeming further away shook yet more dust down on their heads. "Angela, I don't think..."

A much, much larger impact shook the ceiling above them, coupled with a long, rolling thunder of destruction that knocked significant chunks of the ceiling loose. It was pure luck that Ryan managed to duck away from the lump that seemed intent on braining him, and he spent the next several seconds in a mad dance avoiding all of its fellows. When the rumbling and crashing of concrete finally came to an end, the area he and Angela had been working in was completely obscured by a choking pall of grayish dust.

"Angela?" he called, coughing on the miasma of powdered concrete and other substances best not thought of. "Are you still in one piece?"

Nooguy Nooguy , GossipLink GossipLink , OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

As Angela lay on the floor of the bank vault, her arm outstretched for Ryan to reach up and grasp, a sudden explosion caused the woman to let out an alarmed yelp, quickly rolling onto her back and flipping from the floor onto her feet where she remained crouched to steady herself. 'What in the flipping hell is going on, no way I hit anything that could make that ruckus.' Angela thought to herself as she immediately began thinking what she potentially did wrong, other variables entering her mind. Thankfully being in a bank vault lent with it a relative protection from the falling debris of the bank's ceiling as it was bombarded so fantastically, but a subsequent explosion still threatened to knock the mercenary off her feet again. This was a wash in the realm of subtlety, but Angela wasn't going to let a 'little' explosion deter her. Roughly recalling what Bird had told her of what she and Ryan were to look for, the mercenary glancing along the floor to ceiling walls of strongboxes off to her right. "I'm fine Ryan gimme a few!" Angela called down from the vault, quickly heading over and looking through the strongbox numbers. "Come on come on......there you are!" The brunette remarked, spotting the lockbox number before dashing over to her duffel bag to retrieve what looked to be a metallic 'T' at a glance, the larger of the three extending limbs coming into a very pointed end. Pulling on the reserves of energy within her, Angela gripped the odd tool in her hand, aiming the pointed bit toward the visible lock on the strongbox before sending a sharp surge of energy into her hand and driving the tool into the lock with a loud metallic screech. Extracting the tool, Angela gave a growl as the door remained jammed. "Oh come the fuck on you little shit!" She yelled in anger, an inadvertent surge of energy filling a thrown fist plowing into the not terribly thin door with another resonating clang, said door feebly flopping open on shattered locks. "Bout damn time." Angela growled, quickly reaching in and grasping something that felt like a slightly smaller box, darting over to her duffel bag and stuffing it inside before descending down the hole she'd created while ensuring she snagged the thermal blankets on the way. "Get going static shock I'll be right behind you!" The brunette barked at him, switching on her flashlight as she paused and packed everything into her duffel bag before taking off in a dead run after her compatriot.

The hell was going on? This operation went south, hard, and the merc wasn't exactly looking forward to seeing who, or what, had made that ruckus. A few minutes of retracing their steps and eventually Angela ascended the manhole she and Ryan had entered, the brunette following him shortly behind. "We need to get to the bank, Aaron might still be in there!" Angela said shortly before taking off in a dead run toward the newly constructed rubble exhibit that was once a bank. Another quaking explosion shook through the air just as Angela rounded a corner to spot who looked to be Bird, and some pissed off chick whom looked like an odd combination of dominatrix met arsonist met mad bomber and also wasn't too thrilled with Bird. Opposed to her loud nature, Angela kept her head down as she darted over toward the bank, not ignoring the duo, but not actively trying to make herself a target either. Hopping over the huge collection of now destroyed bank, a large pile protruding out which was likely the vault itself beneath all that rubble. "Aaron, make some kinda sound to let me know you're alive!" Angela called out in an urgent tone, moving about quickly as she checked among the dead and mangled bodies. Hell all she needed was some gunfire and this all could be a pleasant revisit to her mercenary days. A good minute of lifting aside rubble and chunks of concrete soon brought forth a familiar face, Aaron luckily very much alive beneath a desk. "God damn bud, you've got some kinda devil or angel watching out for you. I'd ask if you can walk but some kinda legwork's gonna be needed on your part so let's go." The brunette quipped, offering a hand to help him up as she glanced around her, trying to keep the battling duo in some form of her vision or awareness.

Aaron Massimo
Aaron felt numb. His whole body ached, but the thunderous pounding filling his head told him he was still alive, probably. Flashes of color and light moved in the darkness behind his eyelids. He was finding it difficult to think. Probably the concussion's fault. Did he have a concussion? Probably. Wait, did that mean he was concussed? He might have tried to laugh, or it might just have been the dust in his lungs that had him in a coughing fit. The motion woke up some of his body's senses in a bad way, sharp signals of pain from all over racing to see which could reach his foggy brain first. He grit his teeth at the sudden flare of pains all across his body, but he had to say, that sharp pain cut through the concussion delirium like nobody's business.

The first thing he did, less of his own desire to and more a necessity for his brain to sort through the signals it was getting, was take stock of his own condition. Concussion? Most definitely, backed up by the blood coming from somewhere on his head. Head wounds bleed a lot, but for now it should be fine. His left arm hurt, why? He tried moving it. Bad idea. Dislocated. He had a cut across his palm too. Not sure how that'd happened. His left side hurt. There'd be some bruising, possibly cracked ribs. Breathing hurt a bit. He felt it should have hurt more of anything was punctured, or maybe that was just the concussion dulling the pain. Legs. Right seemed a-okay, but the left one hadn't gotten all the way under the desk. There was a pretty nasty cut on the his calf, and his ankle hurt like hell. From the way it was bent he'd have to guess it was twisted. Probably twisted. Hopefully just twisted.

"We-" His word were met by another coughing fit. Damn, couldn't even be snarky when no one was around to hear him. Well Bird, the plan kind of went to Hell. Oh, and the bank went with it. Hope you didn't have much deposited. He heard someone calling out, the sounds of search slowly moving closer. It took his brain a bit to match the voice to someone he actually knew. Angela! He was shocked by the amount of relief that swelled up within him. The piece of ceiling sitting on top of his tiny shelter was pushed aside, revealing her. Thank you, was what he thought.

"God damn bud, you've got some kinda devil or angel watching out for you. I'd ask if you can walk but some kinda legwork's gonna be needed on your part so let's go," was what she said as she reached out a hand for him to take.

But what he said, his voice rough from the dust and coughing, "I'd love to my dear, but I seem to have misplaced my walking shoes." He let his smirk slip for just a few seconds. "I'm going to need some help with that. Can't walk on my left foot, looks like it's twisted." The smile returned. "But enough about me, how'd things go on your end? You get it?"

Last edited:
Bird
Something was wrong. An issue beyond the fact that the masked villain could no longer feel his legs. He no longer could feel much of anything. Not his body, nor his mind. The best way he might describe it, was everything became a dense fog. Not only in the physical sense, but also mentally. Murky water. And, he had to try wading through it, to hopefully find the land. I...have felt this before. While the memory was forced into the back of his mind, it was at the forefront now. Loose visions of bodies, and lots of red splatters. A name rose above the chaos in his fragile head, Masquerade. An alarm bell rang out, turning the quiet graveyard into an overloaded disco rave. Colors flashing, sounds ringing...suddenly, his sight came into perfect focus. With a blade pressing lightly into Popcorn's fragile neck, a thine line of crimson liquid dripped on the end of the knife. His consciousness was regained just before ending the girl's life. Regardless, he didn't waste the advantage. Tossing the blade into the air, he used his free hand to grab her face, throwing her leaning body strongly into the solid metal floor. Popcorn let out a scream of pain, that was silenced a second later by Bird. Her body had bounced back into the air, so the man had used the chance to throw her down once more. It wasn't enough to kill the woman, but sure as hell enough to knock her out for awhile. Snatching the knife as it fell down, he slipped it back into his coat.

With his head still throbbing, the villain glanced around at his surroundings. Their scuffle ended them inside the still intact vault, puzzling the man greatly. Did...I travel her through Reality, bringing us inside here? Shaking it off, he knew there wasn't much time. Turning around, he sliced open a tear, using it as a door to escape the metal prison. Outside, was a lot of destruction. How long did we fight? The entire bank was now a shattered mess of concrete, and most of the surrounding buildings met a similar fate. Slipping out of Reality, he immediately began searching for his flock. Despite functioning well so far, Bird wasn't quite done with his swim. His head spun, with loose images and voices fading in and out, gaining ground, yet slipping a moment later. Some seemed to be from his fight with Popcorn, after blacking out. They had faded in and out of Reality, as their fight raged on. Somewhere along the way, his opponent ran out juice with her fancy explosions, and reserved to simply staying alive. It worked. He hit a piece of concrete, almost falling flat onto his beak. The villain stopped, to look at his arms. Unlike his usual bright pinks and purple illuminating his form, it was...muffled black and grey. That's it, I'm throwing in the towel. I have fun fixing up this mess.

The strength sapped from his tensed arms, he dropped onto the ground. Not to long after, his eyes rapidly blinked, trying to get used to the sunlight. Lunging to his feet, the man promptly dusted off his clothes. Goodness, what a ruin you always leave me with. Masuku found his memories nothing but jumbled, a feat worthy of a hundred headphone cords wrapped upon themselves. No time for that, now. Refusing to let his focus drift there, he instead tried recalling his flock's plans. An alley...no, a few twists and turns...ah, that's right. Using the small point on his index finger, the man swiped open a tear. Entering it, he started retracing their most likely flight path. As he traveled, his pesky curiosity poked into the beehive of what Bird left over. Nothing was entirely trust worthy, as it was bathed in his other self's musings. But, from what he gestured to be accurate, Popcorn gave an astounding battle. I must remember how ferocious she can be, should I face her again. Making a couple turns, he continued digesting, Then again...why was she even here to fight? The likely hood of encountering her on a...mission...while I was training my students. Some new thoughts echoed. Are the other forces moving so soon? I thought I would have more time!...I must accelerate their training. No more kids gloves. Speaking of them, Masuku finally caught up. Coming to a stop in front of the three, the villain had to admire Reality.

From here, they were moving slower then a millimeter a second. He had crossed the gap from the bank, to here, in less then a few seconds in the real world. Oh, what would I do without my precious ability? Cracking a smile, he stayed inside for a little longer. They're hurt, not what I'd prefer. But, this will certainly demonstrate a lesson I didn't intend for them to learn... Stepping out, he made sure there was enough distance for them to recognize him before attacking. Letting his usual colors flare to life, he spoke calmly, "Glad to see you all made it out. I apologize for that...I wasn't exactly expecting such company to interfere. But-" Off in the distance, police sirens wailed, getting louder with every second, "-we need to get moving, and fast. I'll explain more when we're safe, follow me." Rushing off, Masuku went as fast as he could considering Aaron's injuries.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Tarmagon Tarmagon Nooguy Nooguy

Ryan hadn't bothered to protest when Angela told him to get going. As he emerged from the manhole that he and Angela had used to enter the tunnels, he automatically did a three-sixty sweep. Nothing. Good. Noises below him let him know Angela was coming up behind him, but he did another three-sixty scan, this time looking skyward. Nothing obviou... What the hell? Before he could figure out what had caused the flash and most likely the booming noise that washed over him a few moments later, Angela called his attention back to earth.

"We need to get to the bank, Aaron might still be in there!"

Rather than follow Angela immediately as she sprinted towards the ruins of the bank, Ryan eased up to the corner, making sure that their path of retreat stayed open. The sounds of combat above him drew his attention to Bird? and what had to be another... what had Bird called them? Roamers. Someone brave enough or foolish enough to attack Bird? Crap.

"Aaron, make some kinda sound to let me know you're alive!"

Angela's shout drew his attention away from the embattled pair, and he heaved a sigh of relief as she reached down and hauled Aaron up from under a largish piece of rubble. It looked like it might have once been a desk. Lucky bastard. As Angela helped Aaron up and headed his way, Ryan began to back away from the corner, reluctantly transferring his attention from the battle to the planned escape route. Angela was burdened with Aaron, who looked like he would be slowing them down significantly. Pausing to scoop up the bag Angela had abandoned in her rush towards the bank, Ryan moved quickly and quietly down to where the alley ended. Street clear. Next alleyway... there. Also clear. Moving across the road to the next leg of their escape path, Ryan scanned it quickly before turning and motioning Angela on.

"I'll take point," he said as Angela and Aaron entered the alley. Turning, he hadn't taken more than three steps when a familiar tear seemed to open in the air further down the alley. Sure enough, Bird stepped out, just out of any effective attack range.

"Glad to see you all made it out. I apologize for that...I wasn't exactly expecting such company to interfere. But we need to get moving, and fast. I'll explain more when we're safe, follow me."

Suppressing a sigh, Ryan glanced behind him to check on Angela and Aaron, then turned back to follow Bird as the wail of approaching sirens hurried their steps.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi , GossipLink GossipLink , Nooguy Nooguy

Aaron's remark drew a mild grin as she slung his left arm around her shoulder, taking a portion of his body weight upon her own to lighten the load on the injured left foot he was now sporting. "Being a smartass even with a screwed up foot, not bad little man." She remarked in a complement unique in her own way, hardly meaning such as an insult. Not taking any time to pause and assess the damage just yet, Angela hardly objected when Ryan took the lead, about to suggest such herself as she hardly was able to keep a keen eye on their surroundings while trying to escape given her current situation. "Well, pretty shitty first run if I do say so myself. I need a drink if we get out of this alive." Angela quipped, pausing as what looked to be an individual appeared in her peripheral vision, her free hand reaching for one of her pistols before a low sigh left her at the sight of a much less colorful Bird. Christ with how her nerves were right now the last thing she needed was someone popping out of reality on her. "Yeah yeah you can apologize when we're not within the vicinity of dominatrix madam von boom over there so please get moving." The mercenary sharply interjected, her mood a bit short from the failure of their mission among other things.

As she and Ryan followed, Aaron somewhat along for the ride, Angela pondered just how ready she and the others were. Heck she was far from the rookie she was with her kinesis, but that display she just saw made her feel like a child in comparison. 'The hell are we supposed to compete with enemies like that, they're on a whole 'nother level.' She pondered to herself as she walked, anger welling up in her at the feeling of being almost helpless had Bird not been there to distract the explosive tempered broad who'd arrived. What would have happened? Hell she, Ryan, and Aaron would likely be bloody chunks of burnt and charred ground chuck splattered over the sidewalk, street, and any other surface within a fifty foot radius. The anger she felt at such thoughts sat like a brick in Angela's stomach, the brunette biting he tongue for the meantime as she followed Bird, or whatever iteration of the villain led them this time. 'I'll become stronger, simple as that, we all get stronger or we all die.' Angela's thoughts and recollections of somewhat similar experiences she had when she'd initially been deployed in the army helped somewhat with her to cope, but she hated that feeling of yet again being the small fish in the pond, being the clueless greenhorn more likely of getting killed from sheer ineptitude and lack of ability than anything. Oddly enough though, among her anger and frustration, a tingle of exhilaration filled the woman's chest. Angela had seen what power the individuals in this world had, she wanted that power, she wanted to be able to wield such devastation, to match the levels of devastation she'd witnessed, and by god she was going to have it one way or another.

Bird
They arrived at the hideout without interruption, though the trip wasn't without concern. The cops hadn't bothered to hesitate extending their search for the culprits, and thus, always seemed only a few seconds behind the troupe. However, with some quick thinking from the group, they managed to evade even showing their presence. Masuku gripped the edge of the kitchen counter, looking over his small, and not so merry, band of thieves. He himself was still rather annoyed, but it was hidden behind his mask. With the risk that a few smart heroes might've caught onto their trail, he wasn't willing to risk them busting in with his identity on the line. That's about the only advantage I have left, if this all goes sour. There was much to say, but the villain didn't wish to speak any of it. Mostly because, it was a tentative situation. Information was a delicate thing to deliver, after all. Bird started this...I however, need to move towards ending it. Taking a small step backwards, he winced as pressure poured into his right leg. Throwing a passing glance over it, the sight wasn't pretty. If not for his pain tolerance, he'd likely be doubled over. Ignoring it for now, he faced the others.

"As I said before, this was not planned." Shrugging, he kept on, "Welcome to the wonderful world of Legends, ladies and gentlemen." Flashes of the battle fluttered in his mind, reminding himself of the very real and constant threat of superpowers. "You can thank our interruption, to the girl whom attacked us." Sliding out a wallet-sized photo of the woman, he tossed it onto the counter. "Popcorn, a fellow Roamer. Media will tell you she is a user of fragokinesis, but my observations have reaped otherwise. Truth is, she is an annoying blend of atomkinesis, and calokinesis." Dusting off the charred pieces of his clothing, Masuku made a mental note to visit a the dry cleaners. "Meaning, she can super heat atoms till they release their energy...explosively. So, she is never without the ability to blow up whatever, or whomever, she wishes to." Fishing the photo back into his coat, the man stayed silent for a moment. There was some loud racket, but inconsistent. Must be a bar fight.

"She has a grudge against me personally," a small giggle escaped his lips as he remembered why, "and for good reason. But..." Masuku's colors dimmed slightly, "...I say this part in confidence; while she may be powerful, she isn't smart. Definitely not enough, to track me down." I can't tell them directly yet, but they deserve to know there is a bigger threat beyond circumstance. The flashier pallet returning, he changed the topic, "Anyways, did you manage to steal the item? I will excuse the lack of silence, as that was beyond your control. But, I won't excuse failure in the main objective." With a hint of amusement in his voice, Masuku ended with, "My punishment will still apply, should that be the case."

Tarmagon Tarmagon OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi Nooguy Nooguy

'Running from the cops, haven't enjoyed this past time in years.' Angela thought to herself as she and the rest of the group made their way through the city and back toward their small haven. By the time the quartet made it back to their base of operations, Angela felt like a coil wound a few thousand times too tight, that sensation of tension tingling through her body which didn't help with her nerves. With the amount of running and exertion there's no telling how much energy she'd absorbed, but current events didn't give the woman the leisure of dawdling on such minor details.

Snagging her duffel back from Ryan with a brief 'thanks', Angela promptly found her familiar place upon her couch, resting a boot on the coffee table across from it as she listened to Bird talk, detailing their prior cacophonous encounter. 'Popcorn, seriously?', was the first thing that popped into Angela's head as she heard of their attacker's name. "So she was just hired muscle, nothing new even in our old world." Angela began to speak, cigarette already lit in her mouth as she puffed on it, leaning over her duffel bag and fishing around within it as she mumbled softly to herself for a bit as she did so. "Sounds like only another roamer could persuade that bitch to accept orders or someone with either one hell of a paycheck waiting for her, or can scare the shit out of her thoroughly considering how roamers are supposedly the flipping super of the supers in this world. I'm more interested in knowing who the heck can persuade our little Jihad Jane to take orders because they're the ones we should be focusing on and trying to identify." The mercenary spoke up as she rummaged through her bag, tone her classic cheerfully ticked off.

Eventually retrieving a small lockbox, Angela set it on the coffee table with a sigh, the box roughly a foot in width by two feet in length and six inches in height all in high strength steel and two locks set upon its front. All in all the lock box looked perfectly normal if it weren't for the fact that the lid which rested along its top was quite thoroughly ripped clean from its locking mechanism, evident from the fact it sat upon the box with its upper end wrinkled and deformed. “Was exactly where you said it’d be in their strongbox wall, just had to check and make sure everything was kosher." Angela firmly smacked her right hand on the top of the moderately mangled box lid, eyes remaining trained on the container. "Now onto my next question, and one I hope you've got one hell of a good answer for little bird." Angela added, looking up to the villain with a completely placid expression, her tone equally neutral, but both carrying the likeness of a still steel wire twitching just barely short of snapping under titanic tension. "We nearly lost one of our own trying to fetch this thing thanks to the explosive surprise of that latex clad explosive bdsm chick, I trust you understand the weight of that." Angela paused again as she moved her right hand from atop the box, slipping it under the warped lid to grab the contents within. "So I believe you owe your little group an explanation as to who in the hell are you dancing with to attract the kind of shitstorm that we managed to just barely avoid? Because I don't take too kindly to superiors that keep their troops in the dark, tends to lead to people ending up dead, or worse, if you haven't forgotten about Sophia already." The brunette leaned back onto the couch, arms crossed as she lit another cigarette, having drawn her first down to the filter already, eagerly awaiting Bird's response.

Tarmagon Tarmagon OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi GossipLink GossipLink

Unsurprisingly, Angela was the first to speak after Masuku said his piece. Sadly though, she lacked her usual biting humor and insults. The villain stared curiously at her as she kept on, noting how quickly she caught onto his hint about Popcorn. To the point, focused. I wish we could identify those above her, but I already know we won't. Unlike himself, those people hadn't even the slightest trace to begin tracking them down. At least, not one you could locate without heavy intervention from two people who could effectively break reality. "I am intrigued as well." Was the only comment he replied with, amidst Angela's exposition. While she fiddled with the bag, a particular feeling arose in the back of the man's mind. A stinging, like a needled slipping slowly into his brain. I don't intend on switching, till my goal here is accomplished. Unlike Masuku, Bird had some unique interest in these people. His flock, as he puts it. Not that Masuku didn't, but being around them, made it much easier for the other personality to slip out. You have already caused enough problems. In order to trick the feeling away, the villain put pressure on the middle of his wrist with his free hand.

The rough woman retrieved the box, placing it heavily onto the coffee table. While it was recognizable, the contents within were beyond him. Bird had been the one to store the item originally. As she began speaking once more, the pin needle stuck deeper in. Despite his efforts, Masuku couldn't force it away. Even still, nothing he couldn't handle...till she struck a cord. Sop...hia. Gripping the back of his head, he did his best to withhold the presence pounding its way to the limelight. Yet, it proved to overpower him. His hand fell from his head, and his upper body went slack for a moment. Only for a second though, as it sprung back to life. Slipping the mask off, the person underneath shone brightly multi-colored eyes. Sorry bud, but it's my turn. I don't need you to do my job. Staring directly into Angela's eyes, "And I don't appreciate fledglings seeking out information, that they do not understand the weight of." His voice was low, but only to maintain his own anger. First, I have a damn kernel trying to blow me up, secondly, Masuku trying to undermine my authority, and lastly, someone daring to bring up one of my rare mistakes. Taking a deep breath, Bird did his best to calm his swimming mind. It took longer then only a couple seconds to get over the switch, and he didn't give himself even that much before jumping in headfirst. Thankfully, it slowly bled away.

Trusting himself to continue, he kept his voice low still, "I understand your concern. And I get your point. So...I'll level with you as much as I can right now." He fumbled around with his coat, about to pull out another picture, but decided against it. Returning it, he chose instead to keep talking, "As I said in my letter, people are on the lookout for me now. And, there is a very specific group wanting me dead. I am a Roamer as well, after all. My powers are above most, and I can do things others can't. Such a person as me, especially with higher goals in mind, is a threat." Leveling with Angela's stare once more, he finished with, "Problem is, I don't know them...yet. Soon though, I'm sure we'll be seeing them in person." Taking a breath, Bird was going to lighten the mood with a joke of some sort, but a certain pair of eyes stole his attention. Only now, after being so locked into the girl, did he notice Aaron's current state. Quicker then the others, Bird was already rushing over to him when his wave of pain echoed out into the room. Already suffering from his previous injuries, it was magnified by numbers he couldn't possibly calculate. Doubling over, he met a quick fate with the floor.

Hardly managing with contain his own scream, the villain forced himself to scuttle over to the silver boy. Vitals...vitals...are good. He's alive... Rolling onto his back, Bird silently took the pain in droves, hoping it might dull soon. Thankfully, the worst of it left him within a few minutes. Taking a deep breath, he squeezed out a couple words, "We need...to get out of here. Be ready to move out of here at dawn." Just after saying that, the sound of a rolling marble filled the room. Indeed, a marble had been broken free, and slid over to knock a picture off the wall. It might've seemed accidental to anyone else, but Bird knew better. With a sudden energy, he rocketed onto his feet. Facing Angela and Ryan, he told them with an utter seriousness, "Make that midnight. I want everything spotless, not even the vaguest of signs we were ever here." Picking up the boneless Aaron, he plopped him on the lazyboy. "Worry about your own rooms, Angela take the living room, Ryan, the bathroom. I'll handle everywhere else. Let's move!"

Aaron MassimoThat he managed to make it all the way back to the hideout was a bloody miracle. The whole way Aaron had been uncharacteristically silent, his usual snarky commentary missing. If anyone had paid close attention to his face they might have seen signs of the intense effort he was putting into keeping moving, the occasional quick grimace showing whenever the pain was particularly bad. Even closer attention might have one notice the odd dark discoloring of his usually verdant green eyes.

As soon as he was back within the safety of the hideout Aaron leaned heavily against the counter, his breathing ragged and eyes closed. He didn't feel right. More than just his body hurting all over from his injuries, his head felt like it was going to split open. He'd been relying on the others' lead the last part of the way back because his vision was starting to swim whenever he opened his eyes. He could hear Angela and Bird talking, but he was having a hard time making sense of the words. Something in his brain wasn't working right.

He clenched his teeth as a wave of pain felt like it wanted to split his head in two. In the wake of that intense pain his entire body felt numb by comparison. It was a rather pleasant few seconds. And then a second wave hit him, even stronger than the last. He couldn't keep himself from grunting in pain this time, even allowing tears to start to show in the corners of his eyes.

Aaron looked towards the other people in the room, specifically at Bird. His green eyes had darkened enough that they appeared almost black. Through gritted teeth he managed to say, "Sorry 'bout this guys, Ang-" His words were cut off by a pained sound as another wave, even stronger than the last, washed over him. His weakened state was enough that he couldn't keep control of his own power. So when the splitting pain hit this time, Aaron wasn't able to keep it inside.

The pain surged from Aaron in a wave, so strong that it distorted light as it passed, shifting colors towards gray momentarily. It passed over those in the room first, and likely many in the bar below would have felts its effects as well. Aaron collapsed onto the floor, completely out.

Ryan listened to Angela and Bird while he kept a surreptitious eye on Aaron. He hadn't had a chance to get a good look at him yet, but he was starting to get a little alarmed by the vacant look that was swimming in and out of Aaron's eyes. Things took a decided turn for the worse, in his opinion, when Bird shifted personalities in mid-conversation.

"And there we see the true face of our benefactor," he thought grimly. "There's the sociopath, the killer. He'll use us up without a second thought, and drive the knife into our backs himself if it suits his purposes."

Before the exchange could head into what would surely be lethal territory, a wave of agony swept the room, originating from Aaron. Bird recovered first, scuttling over to Aaron to give him a cursory examination before rolling over onto his back. Ryan was climbing to his feet when Bird gasped out his instructions to make ready to leave, but a marble rolling across the room seemed to galvanize the villain. Bird sprang to his feet, rapping out orders, completely oblivious of the unconscious Aaron still laying in a heap at his feet.

"No," Ryan said simply, ignoring Bird's orders to sanitize their hideout, instead moving to kneel over the prostrate Aaron. He didn't trust Bird when it came to their lives, not anymore. He carefully eased Aaron into what he hoped was a more comfortable position, and began an examination of the young man. Laceration on the hand, not important. Same with the cut on his leg, though the swelling of his ankle let Ryan know Aaron wouldn't be walking unassisted anytime soon. Light shudders when he touched the ribs. No grating of broken bones. Good. One arm in an unnatural position. Uh oh.

"Damn," Ryan muttered. "That's a dislocated shoulder for sure. We're gonna have to reset that, and soon."

Prying first one eye, then the other open revealed a much more troubling development. The pupils weren't the same size, and when he generated a tiny spark between his thumb and forefinger, they didn't react smoothly. Concussion, maybe something worse. There was just no way to tell, and Bird was more concerned about his goddamned safe house being cleaned?!

"So, just to be clear," Ryan grated out, looking up at Bird with eyes that no longer had a visible color or pupil, instead being nothing but crackling orbs of bright, bluish white energy. "Aaron's going to lie here for hours while we clean up your little palace here. His dislocated shoulder is going to twist to the point where we won't be able to reset it, but I'll clean up the bathroom. His concussion, if it's not actually swelling on the brain, will be untreated, but there won't be anything to lead back to you. IS THAT THE PRIORITY HERE?!"

GossipLink GossipLink
(Hope you don't have to kill him, but oh boy, you pushed his buttons big time.)

Angela’s eyes remained trained on the villain in front of her, narrowing as she watched him seemingly lose composure and sage somewhat before quickly recovering with an all too familiar colorful visage. ‘Christ pretty boy bird is back.’ Angela thought, noticing the shift in colors before her gaze switched over to Aaron whom wasn’t looking so good. Angela knew pain, but hell even she hadn’t had a building drop on her before so she had a good feeling that Aaron was in a whole new world of hurt.

Bird’s response to her inquiry was the veritable act of throwing water on a grease fire, her eyes flashing and widening slightly as a fresh dose of anger surged up her spine. Gritting her teeth, the mercenary leaned forward, resting an elbow on a knee. “Considering the condition Aaron is in I couldn’t give a smaller fuck of what you appreciate.” Angela spoke sharply to bird’s remark of not appreciating ‘fledglings’ seeking information, her tone wavering somewhat as she worked to somewhat control her temper even as her words were elevated noticeably. The woman was a hothead for sure, and brash, but even she knew the importance of a fellow soldier’s health regardless of how her own feelings registered…well Aaron wasn’t exactly a soldier, but the point remained. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and they all would suffer if they left Aaron in his current state, Aaron the one obviously to reap the majority of that suffering unfortunately.

As Bird gave what information he either knew, or simply wanted to divulge, Angela gave an irritated growl beneath her breath. She didn’t buy the entirety of Bird not knowing those who sought him out, but even she knew that the villain wasn’t going to part with any more information even if she held a gun to his head. Moving to stand up, Angela’s eyes suddenly went wide as she collapsed to one knee, bracing herself against the coffee table as a sharp groan escaped through clenched teeth. The mercenary felt as if she’d been dipped in napalm and set ablaze, every inch of her body quaking in agonizing pain for a few moments that made her vision blur momentarily. A few moments passed before Angela managed to recompose herself, slowly rising to her feet with a huff, wiping a few beads of sweat from her brow as she panted somewhat. ‘Holy shit…’ Were her only thoughts as she looked to Aaron whom was currently being looked over by Bird. ‘I’ve got pity on whomever suffers from that should Aaron ever be able to weaponize something like that.’ Angela’s thoughts finished, pausing as the sound of something rolling across the floor drew her attention to what seemed to be a…marble?

Before anything else could be said, Bird swiftly sprung to his feet with the swiftness of a man who’d had death whisper sweet nothings in his ear before promptly barking a much shorter deadline and directing the other two to their duties. With how her mood was, Angela didn’t feel too compelled to comply, and it seemed her sentiments were shared as Ryan voiced a resounding no before moving to start examining Aaron in a bit more detail than Bird had, shortly voicing his opinion to the colorful villain in a less than cordial tone. As much as she wanted to dig her heels into the ground and side with Ryan, Angela also knew that getting serious, dedicated medical treatment for Aaron wouldn’t be easy, and while right now her respect for Bird was at an all-time low she didn’t like the prospect of meeting whatever could cause the villain to wide eyed as a doe and pucker up tighter than a drill sergeant.

Walking over to Ryan, Angela placed a hand on his shoulder, her grip firm. “As much as I agree with you Ryan we can’t exactly check Aaron into a hospital with the hell that just happened sending the city law into a frenzy. Plus whomever, or whatever, is coming for Bird I’m sure will be able to find Aaron and him being tucked away in a hospital bed will no doubt bring a fate worse than just dying.” Angela paused as she looked to Bird. “Listen to me spitfuck, you and Ryan both get Aaron some form of medial treatment, and you’re full of more shit than a politician if you’re going to tell me you don’t know someone off the grid who can offer treatment for him.” She spoke, releasing Ryan’s shoulder as she began walking to her room. “If I can’t clean this place up by your deadline I’ll burn this shithole to the ground, and the poor sops down stairs will just have to find a new joint to hang out. I still have a good portion of the thermite I bought stowed in my room.” The brunette paused in her speech as she walked into her room, retrieving a second duffel bag and walking back out before tossing it onto the floor with a decent ‘thump’. “I'll meet up with you all wherever you are, just let me know. With the urgency that you’re talking with we don’t have the luxury of being pinpoint precise, and it’s pretty self-evident Ryan and I aren’t doing anything while Aaron’s in the state he’s in. So right now you’ve got limited options big guy.” Angela’s tone remained below a shout, amazingly enough, remaining at the still vocal yet coldly sharp point she’d carried since the group arrived back.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi
Tarmagon Tarmagon
GossipLink GossipLink

His mind was beyond frazzled. His mind was...beyond himself, even. Bird felt numb, as though his own brain decided to take a cat nap, leaving the rest of him still standing there, unable to move or think. The sensation was slow at first, beginning in the back of his head like always. It began prickling up, slowly hitting every neuron in sight, increasing its control. By the time Angela had retrieved her bag, clearly stating what was to be done, the villain's vision was growing black. Cold...I feel cold. Within a sudden flash, he could see it. All it would take, was a simple lunge, duck, and slice. Then, spin with the same blade, and plunge into a spot with no resistance. Both...dead. Cleaning the mess would be a simple matter, and finding an explanation to Aaron...inconsequential. Despite the numbness, Bird felt his hand moving against his will, threatening to break his own control free. The grip on the knife was familiar, easy to handle. So...simple. Then like a truck, another bout of pain exploded throughout his body. Bird grabbed his chest, as if it might burst. Darkness finally caught him...then nothing.

Not even a dream to comfort himself with. Darkness...till his eyes fluttered open. Panicking, he spun around taking in all the information possible. I...it...what? He was inside Reality. The miasma of the pink abyss reflected the inside of the hideout, through its odd shimmering effect. Ryan, Angela, and Aaron were all where they were before the blackout. Was it...only a thought? Oh boy, I need a relaxation from this stress. Sliding back the watch on his left wrist, revealed that three minutes passed by for him. Meaning, almost no time at all had traversed outside of his bubble. How did I even get in here? Whether it was a reflex, or something more, he didn't know. His own experience was quick, all a trick of his mind. Due to the stress and high emotion, he literally forced himself inside Reality to calm down, without even slicing open a tear. But what was clear, is that his flock was safe still. If I was out in here...I only have about a minute left in my shield. Better not waste it. Using the point on his index finger, Bird sliced open a thin tear. Stepping out, he faced his two standing members. While it wasn't expected, even by himself, the man bowed briefly. Not a light gesture, either. His mind felt clear now, focused. Maybe all I needed was a little nap? Chuckling inwardly, the villain retreated from the curtsy.

"I apologize. If I labelled every reason why, it would take me far past our deadline, so I'll refrain from that." Another thing he hadn't been expecting to do anytime soon. "Ryan," facing the other man, he continued, "you are failing to see the big picture here, and thus assuming much. And," turning to the other side, he said, "Angela, you are far too urgent to take the lead, when you don't grasp the entire situation either." Trying to convey his sincere intentions, Bird spoke all of this calmly. Relaxed, at that. "However, I do know what I am doing. Unlike you all, I've lived here my entire life. Plus, I haven't lied in my skills and exploits." The man threw his hands up in exasperation, "you get used to how things work, you know? But, I haven't been considering your side in this...till now." It really did make sense to him, now. Expecting you all to blindly trust me, isn't going to work anymore. Time to change that. "I do indeed care for you all, including Aaron. Reason I'm not as concerned, is because this world has superpowers. Not only stuff for destruction or utility, but also for healing and restoring. He'll live long enough to get him to someone who owes me a big time favor, and she'll have him brand spanken new." Though, a story for another time. Walking over to the picture that fell, he returned it to its place on the wall, "Good notice on this system, Angela. That marble was a warning sign, something I had a friend make for me."

Moving to the kitchen, he started tossing everything in the fridge directly into the garbage can. "That blonde from awhile back. If it triggered, tells me something that poses a serious threat to me is approaching soon. With Aaron out, he'll count one of you two out as well should something attack us. And I myself," jutting his leg out for them to see, revealed how shredded it was, "won't be in a good enough condition to keep you all alive." He stared at the salami bags for a moment, I still don't know which is which. Shrugging, he lobbed them all in the trash. "And, I can only operate thanks to how low I've stayed under the radar. That in turn, means you all too. If we left this place with any trace of us, even the slightest bit, it'll give our enemies a chance to begin the hunt." Pulling out some cleaning liquid, and a rag, he proceeded to wipe down the inside of the machine. "Dunno about you guys, but I don't care for the thought of becoming a bigger target." Taking a break, he glanced between both of them, "To put it bluntly, if we go with either of your plans, we all die...or get detained, if we're lucky." Hoping they would take the chance, he finished with, "Though you have reasons to do otherwise, please give my plan a run through. I have every intention on keeping all of you safe."

"Kind of hard to see the 'big picture' when you won't even show us a damned snapshot," Ryan said. "I don't like being in the dark, and since we're being honest here, you haven't done much to engender trust here. However, that being said, this IS your world, and anything that worries you is powerful enough to eat me for a snack."

Ryan took a moment to grab a towel from the bathroom and tear it into strips, which he used to immobilize Aaron's arm and shoulder as best he could. Satisfied with his work, he looked at Bird? Masuku? whoever the hell he was now, industriously cleaning away.

"Guess the balls back in his court," he said quietly. "I hope that he's not blowing more smoke when he says he knows someone who can fix Aaron up."

Deciding to trust the mercurial villain one more time, Ryan moved back into the bathroom and looked around. After a moment, he grabbed another towel and began to toss loose items into it. Brushes, partial bottles of various liquids, anything that wasn't nailed down went into the pile. Tying the towel ends together to form a portable bundle, Ryan surveyed the room again. There was going to be traces and DNA everywhere. There was no way...or was there? Putting one hand over an outlet, Ryan began to draw power from the building, carefully so as not to cause any outward signs, though whoever paid the electric bill for this building was going to be in for a bit of a shock. When he felt he couldn't hold anymore power, Ryan removed his hand from the outlet and concentrated. Both hands wreathed themselves in a crackling sheathe of electricity, snapping and popping, but not arcing away. Ryan swiped his glowing hands quickly over the exposed surfaces, fast enough that he didn't char the tougher materials making up the furnishings and walls, but slow enough that he was rewarded with little snaps and bursts of smoke as stray hairs, skin cells, and other detritus singed and burned away into nothingness.

"That should take care of that," he said to himself. He had needed to recharge twice more before every surface had been swept clean, but he had even stood on the edge of the tub and toilet to reach up to the ceiling. "There shouldn't be an intact strand of DNA or anything identifiable left now."

"Done,"
he called out as he left the bathroom with his bundle of junk. "What do you want to do with this stuff?"

Nooguy Nooguy , OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi , GossipLink GossipLink

As Angela watched Bird, a tickle of unease teasing the back of her mind at the villain's display as he appeared to momentarily lose himself. Bird already gave Angela enough reason to be wary of him and things weren't serving well to lessen said feelings. Luckily the colorful evil doer seemed to come back to the present, addressing Angela and Ryan in regards to their respective stances on the matter. 'Wow finally realizing that neglecting the aspect of trust isn't too healthy for building, surprise surprise, trust.' Angela thought to herself as Bird spoke, satisfied that the villain did indeed have an individual in mind to help the ailing Aaron. Ryan's remark certainly earned agreement, only fools would blindly follow a leader indefinitely.

"Well Ryan's pretty much summarized what I feel on the situation in a more kind tone." The brunette remarked, already moving to begin picking up the various debris and detritus through the living room. "Just remember Bird, Masuku, or whatever screwed up mental version of you that I'm talking to, that your group's willingness to follow you is proportional to the trust they hold in you. So from now on maybe extend a liiiitle more info beyond 'trust me'." Angela gave one final comment concerning her thoughts on the situation before buckling down and getting to work. Scrounging some bleach and a simple washcloth, Angela went to work wiping down what surfaces she cleared of objects from as best she could. While she was versed in warfare, completely erasing her presence wasn't her forte, but she simply assumed whatever she couldn't clean they would shove into whatever dimensional hoover Bird opened up. What she couldn't fit into a garbage sack Angela simply moved into as clean and orderly a pile she could, abstaining the chair Aaron currently was resting within, which left the furniture lumped together which she gave a quick once over as well.

As Ryan stepped out declaring his finished business, Angela was just wrapping up her own duties. "Well can't say I could make a living as a cleaner, but I've scrubbed every inch of this space enough that you could perform open hear surgery so there's that." She quipped with a sigh before she quickly moved past Ryan and into her own room. The nice thing about having barely lived in this world for long was the limited amount of things she had she cared to keep around. Her firearms, spare clothing, and various other personal effects which largely rested in the realm of explosive harm in various shades. Another few minutes passed before Angela left her room, having given every surface she could find a similar once over as the living room before returning with all her worldly belongings slung on her back within her duffel bag. "Alright Bird Brain I've pretty much cleared this place out too so do what you will, how's Aaron faring?" Angela asked as she came over to check on their wounded compatriot. "Well 'least he's....actually I'm going to hold that thought because I don't want to find out how much of an asshole this world's murphy is." She remarked, satisfied with Ryan's efforts as she did a quick once over of her own belongings within the two duffel bags she currently had, resting them both by the front door unzipped as she rummaged through them.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi
GossipLink GossipLink
Tarmagon Tarmagon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back