• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magicians of Highbell (OOC)

Main
Here
I'll list them out in bulletpoint form so that people can read them over easily and add their own touches to them as desired.

-- Highbell gets its name from the many belltowers spread throughout the city. Usually only a few ring per hour, as the larger ones are loud enough, but on special occasions, every tower in the city rings at once (I like to think that the various spires throughout the drawing are potential belltowers, though I didn't think of them as being that until later on).

-- Founded as a small lakeside town, the city did not become a large one until it became an important refueling station for long-distance airships, bringing in travelers of many sorts.

-- Magic and Highbell have something of a strained yet intertwined history, though the city itself is predominantly non-magical.

-- Automobiles and streetcars are popular in Highbell due to its sloped layout. Many older alleyways are narrow and difficult to drive through, however.

-- Though the rich once lived by the lakeside, the majority have migrated to the upper city, due to greater views and personal transportation making it easy to take advantage of the lakeside even while living on the other end of the city. The docks possess many grand old buildings all the same.

I'll post more if they come!

- Ooh adding on to that idea, maybe the bell towers are also used as time markers? That mark every hour?

- Considering its location (lots of water) perhaps Highbell also grew from increased demand for paper? So maybe there are quite a handful of paper mills scattered about the city.

- By upper city do you mean closer to the center of the city? Or if the city is along a water body, in the direction away from the water?

Great ideas!

- I also pictured bell towers sprinkled throughout the city. Perhaps different bells chime for different reasons which give the city a kind of on-going melody. Some cities sound like the whirring and hiss of steam engines and the clacking of heels. Others sound like the wind and the squawking of gulls. Highbell sounds like... bells?

- In addition to being a refueling station, perhaps the city has also grown into something of a tourist destination. Its stunning location suggests that people may want to linger once they've arrived from out of town. It could be the sort of destination that makes for a nice diversion after a long journey between two other much larger cities. If we'd rather go with a more industrial feel, then Chip's paper mill suggestion would fit right in. But if we want to maintain the luxury aesthetic, I'm not sure a functioning paper mill would suit the city (as paper mills tend to be awfully polluting and smelly). However, given the city's modest history, perhaps it was once a paper mill town, which has grown and flourished (and cleaned itself up) as its exports shifted to meet the demand. There could be an abandoned paper mill in the old part of the city, though.

- I'm on board with there being less magic in Highbell.

- Bicycles (manual and motorized) may also be popular modes of transportation. A train station also offers more affordable transportation (than airship) to and from the city.

- Ooh adding on to that idea, maybe the bell towers are also used as time markers? That mark every hour?

- Considering its location (lots of water) perhaps Highbell also grew from increased demand for paper? So maybe there are quite a handful of paper mills scattered about the city.

- By upper city do you mean closer to the center of the city? Or if the city is along a water body, in the direction away from the water?

-- Definitely also as markers of time, yeah!

-- Away from the water and also literally "up," since the city itself goes upward a bit as it moves away from the waterfront.

Great ideas!

- I also pictured bell towers sprinkled throughout the city. Perhaps different bells chime for different reasons which give the city a kind of on-going melody. Some cities sound like the whirring and hiss of steam engines and the clacking of heels. Others sound like the wind and the squawking of gulls. Highbell sounds like... bells?

- In addition to being a refueling station, perhaps the city has also grown into something of a tourist destination. Its stunning location suggests that people may want to linger once they've arrived from out of town. It could be the sort of destination that makes for a nice diversion after a long journey between two other much larger cities. If we'd rather go with a more industrial feel, then Chip's paper mill suggestion would fit right in. But if we want to maintain the luxury aesthetic, I'm not sure a functioning paper mill would suit the city (as paper mills tend to be awfully polluting and smelly). However, given the city's modest history, perhaps it was once a paper mill town, which has grown and flourished (and cleaned itself up) as its exports shifted to meet the demand. There could be an abandoned paper mill in the old part of the city, though.

- I'm on board with there being less magic in Highbell.

- Bicycles (manual and motorized) may also be popular modes of transportation. A train station also offers more affordable transportation (than airship) to and from the city.

-- I love the idea of different bells ringing for different reasons, which also might be part of the reason why they have so many bells in the first place. Seasoned citizens of Highbell might even be able to tell what's going on based on what bells they hear. Established buildings and businesses might even have their own bells that they ring when opening and when closing, or when performing important functions; a bakery bell might ring when new loaves are fresh from the oven, or the dockside bells might ring when ships are setting out to the lake.

-- Maybe we could go with a bit of both as far as how the city feels; since we mentioned Steampunk, perhaps part of the city's allure is its growing industry. If we're going with an early 1900s feel, then industrialization would be something new and interesting for a lot of people (people out in the country might never have seen a car before, for instance). That said though, we'd have to think of what sorts of industry there would be that isn't super polluting; maybe some of the paper mills have been re-purposed into early hydro-electric or steam plants?

-- Bicycles could also be a big part of the working culture of the city, since cars are likely hard for the lone worker to come by still, and many alleyways would be too narrow for horses and drawn carts.

-- Tacking an open question on here--other than tourism and airship servicing, what other jobs are dominant in the city? Trades? Services? Crafts?

Last edited:
@_Line 213 said:
Maybe we could go with a bit of both as far as how the city feels; since we mentioned Steampunk, perhaps part of the city's allure is its growing industry. If we're going with an early 1900s feel, then industrialization would be something new and interesting for a lot of people (people out in the country might never have seen a car before, for instance). That said though, we'd have to think of what sorts of industry there would be that isn't super polluting; maybe some of the paper mills have been re-purposed into early hydro-electric or steam plants?

That's a good point. I was picturing modern paper mills, which wouldn't exist in this world anyway. Chips, I didn't mean to be dismissive of your idea. Thank you for giving Highbell this layer of industrialism!

[Sidebar: With this talk of paper mills, all I'm thinking about is the French town of Moutrichard in Catch Me If You Can that was known for its impeccable printing quality. I feel like that's the kind of reputation Highbell might have gained for its paper.]

As for other services, trades, and crafts, I want to say that Highbell's exports are modest in nature. What about wool and wheat or wine? As the invention of machines and steam-powered technology spread to the city, agriculture shifted to a secondary export while artisans like bellmakers and clockmakers and builders and the like created higher value products. I feel like most of the middle class are craftsmen, working in shops or factories while a few farmers live on the outskirts of the city.

Once we've discussed the final details of the city, let's talk about the festival/event that introduces our characters to each other!

No worries, Magnolia! The idea was thrown out there for discussion, after all :)

Definitely love all of these ideas, looks like Highbell is really starting to come together!

I'll hold off on more ideas after this post to give Ajax some time to jump in here, but there's two more things I thought of that I found rather exciting, one being a bit of a broader and more conceptual thing that I came across and thought would be interesting to implement, and the other being a sort of cultural side-idea.

While doing some research on other things, I came across a concept called joie de vivre, which basically deals with the idea of finding joy in whatever one may be doing. Since various cities often have specific cultural identities on a more intangible level, I thought it might be interesting for Highbell to take on joie de vivre as a cultural identifier, similar to how some might think of the quick pace of New York City, or the relaxed nature of Californian cities, and so on.

I think this ties into a few different ideas that we've proposed so far, particularly when it comes to the idea of a city full of bells and craftsmen. There's a certain amount of whimsy that comes from a city that constantly produces music and noise throughout the day, and that constantly builds things that make life easier or more interesting. The joie de vivre in the eyes of the average citizen of Highbell might come from the ideas that someone is always building something new, and that the city is always alive with sound. Colorful streets might also be a big thing in the city (referencing the rightmost image of the initial post, for instance) to further that sort of feeling. Lots of plants and painted buildings, bright cobblestone streets, that sort of thing.

Unrelated to this, I also had a mental image that I thought would make for a great "thing" that happens in the city daily. When citizens head out to work in the morning, you end up with hundreds of bicycle riders pouring out onto the central streets and riding together to work. Since people often head to work at the same time, it becomes something of a social activity, with people riding together in groups and speaking to each other until they peel off into various side-streets and alleyways.

Re-watched Kiki's delivery service the other day!! Honestly forgot how beautiful the scenery is, and the story itself, too

Re-watched Kiki's delivery service the other day!! Honestly forgot how beautiful the scenery is, and the story itself, too

This is a great idea! I should rewatch that and Howl's Moving Castle when we get closer to starting.

Also, did a bit more on the city sketch today, hoping to start blocking in some basic color tomorrow (though it's probably gonna end up being a mess).

Last edited:
I’ve been on a Ghibli spree myself. I watched Kiki’s Delivery Service, Howl’s Moving Castle, The Secret World of Arietty, and Spirited Away all this week!

Line, I’m sure it’ll look great!

Sorry I wasn’t available to plan today. Tomorrow won’t be much better either, but if anyone would like to start throwing in ideas about possible events (like Chips’s festival idea), please do so! Hopefully I’ll have some time to check in tomorrow evening.

I'll think up some festival stuff! I was just hoping not to leave Ajax too far behind, though I suppose they must be busy at the moment.

I'll have a post up with some festival thoughts whenever I come up with stuff I think is worth sharing!

Right you are, Line! We do not want to leave Ajax behind. Let’s keep planning posts minimal so he doesn’t have to sift through a lot of information all at once, in case he hasn’t had a chance to read what we’ve talked about yet.

Ajax, I absolutely want your input and ideas if you have anything you’d like to share. If you feel the thread is moving a little fast, we can slow it down.

Line and Chips, if you both have ideas ready to share, go ahead and post them. But if you have anything to add afterwards, just edit the same post until we’ve heard back from Ajax. How does that sound?

A few festival ideas:

-- The Craftsman's Fair: A self-explanatory event in which the city's various creators come together to hawk their wares. Part art fair, part marketplace.

-- Color Day: a festival in which the city's denizens dress in bright, colorful clothing, and partake in leisure activities after decorating streets and buildings with long strips of colored paper and ticker tape. The actual celebration is a single day, but the preparation time starts long before. Watching the city transform over the course of the preparatory week is a point of interest for tourists, leading to the misconception that the festival is actually a week long. Of course, this doesn't stop merchants from selling Color Day themed wares early. A great deal of dates and marriages are also scheduled during Color Day.

-- The Cyclists' Parade: initially beginning as a tongue-in-cheek way of describing the working class's daily ride to work, the Cyclists' Parade became an actual event over the years, resulting in marching bands, parade floats pulled by bicycles, and all manner of strange and otherworldly bicycles built specially for the occasion. The city's premiere bicycle shops are fond of unveiling new styles and models on this day.

-- Regatta Week: a week-long series of ship races. Though initially comprised of sailing competitions only, motorized boat races have become popular over the last decade, with airship races being the week's newest addition as of a few years ago.

I must apologize I need to drop the RP because some personal stuff has popped up and its kind of an emergency so I won't be online for quite a while. I hope you guys have tons of fun with this though cause it sounds so amazing!! <3

Thanks for letting us know, Ajax. Take care of yourself!

Line, those ideas sound wonderful! I particularly like Color Day and the Craftsman's Fair. Perhaps the two could be combined? I keep thinking of the bells but I haven't figured out how to create an event around them yet. Perhaps they can be incorporated somehow into the fair?

I'm afraid I'm running a bit on empty tonight, so I don't have concrete ideas to share. Thanks for getting us started, Line! Chips, I'm looking forward to your ideas, too! I'll check in tomorrow to continue planning.

I must apologize I need to drop the RP because some personal stuff has popped up and its kind of an emergency so I won't be online for quite a while. I hope you guys have tons of fun with this though cause it sounds so amazing!! <3

Hope everything turns out okay! I know how those sorts of things can get.

Thanks for letting us know, Ajax. Take care of yourself!

Line, those ideas sound wonderful! I particularly like Color Day and the Craftsman's Fair. Perhaps the two could be combined? I keep thinking of the bells but I haven't figured out how to create an event around them yet. Perhaps they can be incorporated somehow into the fair?

Chances are they could! I wouldn't be surprised if things like colorful paintings and sculptures were a big part of Color Day, so those two things could likely mesh together quite nicely. Maybe one or several of the city squares is / are taken over by artist and crafter stalls for Color Day, since the celebration as a whole has a bit of artistic flair to it.

Also, bit of an awkward question to ask so soon, but since there are three of us now, what should we do? Bring in someone else from the interest thread? Just have it be the three of us for now?

Second that question, Line! Perhaps someone from the interest check might be interested in jumping in?

As for town ideas, maybe the town can also hold more frequent but also more modest festivals. Where I used to live there wasn't TOO much going on in the fall/spring but in the winter you could find small Christmas markets just about anywhere. There would be some tucked away in random corners, and they were never limited in number (you could find two or more in the same town, but just on opposite sides). In the summer there were concerts and festivals of course! Not so much in terms of merchandise but lots of candy, food, and entertainment.

I think that maybe those frequent events alongside the somewhat bigger events Line mentioned might work well with the idea of joie de vivre that was mentioned earlier!

Ah, I think it would also be interesting if the town also incorporated a public market that occurs every Sunday or so! Maybe it can be combined with the Craftsman's fair? Something very similar to the market you see in Howl's moving castle when Sophie goes shopping!

Hi folks! Sorry for my absence! I had more going on yesterday than I thought I would.

To answer your guys' question about filling Ajax's spot, I'd actually prefer not to fill it. Originally, I had only planned for a three-person group anyway. Is that all right with both of you?

Chips, I completely agree! Highbell strikes me as the kind of city that encourages its residents to go out and explore its streets. Pop-up markets and temporary festivities are perfect for getting people outside and socializing. Given the setting's Edwardian inspiration, I wonder if perhaps Color Day serves as the kickoff to the social season in Highbell. During this time, wealthy travelers from other regions would visit the city, filling Highbell's hotels and inns. They, along with traveling merchants, bring news, gossip, and goods from other cities. To entertain the guests and project Highbell's joie de vivre spirit, the city's residents basically host a several-months long party - even if no special event is taking place, there will likely be something new for visitors to enjoy each day. Perhaps?

So, what do you both say? Should Color Day be the day our characters first meet?

Hi folks! Sorry for my absence! I had more going on yesterday than I thought I would.

To answer your guys' question about filling Ajax's spot, I'd actually prefer not to fill it. Originally, I had only planned for a three-person group anyway. Is that all right with both of you?

Chips, I completely agree! Highbell strikes me as the kind of city that encourages its residents to go out and explore its streets. Pop-up markets and temporary festivities are perfect for getting people outside and socializing. Given the setting's Edwardian inspiration, I wonder if perhaps Color Day serves as the kickoff to the social season in Highbell. During this time, wealthy travelers from other regions would visit the city, filling Highbell's hotels and inns. They, along with traveling merchants, bring news, gossip, and goods from other cities. To entertain the guests and project Highbell's joie de vivre spirit, the city's residents basically host a several-months long party - even if no special event is taking place, there will likely be something new for visitors to enjoy each day. Perhaps?

So, what do you both say? Should Color Day be the day our characters first meet?

Everything posted here sounds great to me! Also makes for a great situation to force them under the same roof if we have to, since everywhere else will be absolutely booked. I'm up for it!

Do we have anything else that we want to talk about, or should we potentially think about starting? I don't think I have any other immediate questions, personally.

I don't have any immediate concerns/questions either! If anything maybe a concrete summary of the town and its events? In terms of housing, I'm fine with our characters discussing that IC or having that conversation OOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back