• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Edge (A Superhero-Cyberpunk Story)

Low-Budget Man

Hello! This RP will be based on a world I've been building for a while now. I'm well versed in RPing and GMing, however not on this specific site. So I apologize if I mess up some basic etiquette or mess up some font. Also I don’t really know how to do some of the fancy wizardry button stuff so don’t expect too much of that.

--

After the year 2000, a small fraction of the population began receiving "Promotion Days" after a traumatic event. On an individual's Promotion Day, they either gain super-powers and become Promotes or become horribly disfigured monsters called Demotes. Demotes are isolated from the all mighty mega-corporations that dominate the world. People who reject the Mega-corp's control and Demotes live on the outskirts of society, called the Edge. Far more lawless and untamed, the Edge represents freedom from the grasp of the Mega-corps. But that comes at a cost, gangs and organized criminals often rule the sprawling slums of the Edge.

Promotes fall into three primary categories. There are Corp-capes, and Badges, and Edge-capes. Corp-capes are Promotes who work for the soulless Mega-corp that that signed them. They have fame and fortune, but have lost all their free-will. Badges are the few Promotes that join the weakening national government. Their job is to protect the people against threats that grow too powerful and they are often kept out of the public eye. Edge-capes are Promotes who live in the Edge and stake out a living there. Edge-capes become gang leaders, thieves, and mercenaries with their power. In the Edge, might means right.

The most profitable venture for a Edge-cape is joining an Edge-crew. When a job that’s less than legal needs to be done, Edge-crews are hired. Wealthy bureaucrats, organized criminals, and Mega-corps will subcontract their dirty work to deniable assets to retain a semblance of peace. Only Edge-capes have the power to infiltrate a high security compound or assassinate a important figure surrounded by dozens of bodyguards and mechs.

--

This RP isn’t going to be bright happy rainbows. I’ve drawn inspiration from Watch-men, Shadowrun, Game of Thrones etc. This is a world dominated by cold power hungry mega-corporations that will squish anyone that gets in their way. Its a more cynical look at the super-hero genre.

You’ll play as an Edge-cape, living on the fringes of corporate society. One of the lowest hinges on hierarchy of Promotes. Just because you live on the Edge doesn’t mean you have to be a villain. You could have been pushed toward living on the Edge through bad choices. Or perhaps you did it for someone you life. People that live on the Edge aren’t inherently bad, they’re people like all of us. They’re just trying to get by. Likewise, not all Badges or Corp-capes are shining beacons of humanity. Power corrupts after all.

You won’t have the shiny armor of a Corp-cape or their luxurious hair. Nor do you have the authority of a Badge. But through your character’s actions and the choices you make, you have the power to topple the big-wigs than hold the world in their vise-like grip. Or maybe you’ll let the world burn, just to further your own intentions.

--

Alright that’s my condensed version of the world. I have a longer holy textbook for my world that explains a lot of things further, but that’s the rough spark-notes. When I get the real thread going, I'll post more on there on the specifics of powers and making a character. So comment if you’re interested in this!

Expectations:
  1. I’m not expecting everyone to be Tolkien or Sanderson. But I do expect decent quality writing. I know I’m not a genius or anything when it comes to writing, but at least put a good effort into your writing.
  2. Try to aim for minimum two or three paragraphs per post. But in the end, aim for quality over quantity.
  3. Grammar is pretty important. I understand messing up every once in a while, but don’t type like you just graduated third grade.
  4. If you’re going to be absent for a while, try to communicate what’s going on. If not, I’ll just kill your guy.
  5. This story will feature violence, drugs, etc. So if you're uncomfortable with that, I suggest you look elsewhere. I won’t do things just to be gratuitous, but these are ideas touched upon in the RP.
  6. No Mary Sue characters. People are flawed human beings. Superheroes even more flawed.
  7. Have fun!
Link to Main Thread: The Edge (A Superhero-Cyberpunk Adventure)

Last edited:
Oh snap, I didn't even know there was a sequel. How is it? Without spoilers.
It's pretty good. I'd describe the plot, but seeing as it's the sequel to Spoilers: The Novel, even who the main character is is kind of a spoiler.

Bone2pick Bone2pick The roleplay will be open world to an extent. I will plays as GM for the world and I'll be throwing situations at you guys. It'll be up to you to decide how you will play out the situation. Everyone will start off as an Edge-cape with very little reputation or power, but through the course of the roleplay you'll obviously become powerful. I'm not talking about terms of raw superpowers, but in terms of influence, resources, assets, etc. So maybe you want to take down a Corporation? Maybe take control of territory in the Edge and become a gang leader? Or maybe form a vigilante Robin Hood-esque group.

Honestly, if you want something to happen or if you think of a cool idea to implement in the roleplay just ask and we'll talk about it. I'm always happy to get new ideas.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R OoooOoh, I gotta get on that then. I feel like I'm gonna get hit with a spoiler out of the blue and get super salty about it. Somebody spoiled Star Wars for me and that made me fall to my knees shouting "Noooo". I can't believe that Darth Vader is Luke's father.....

Low-Budget Man Low-Budget Man So far so good. Will we be given enough space (should we desire it) for some solo adventuring, especially in the early stages of the roleplay? Should I create an edge-cape, while I would eventually want them to team up with other player-characters, I would hope to establish them as an individual hero first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back