• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Deep Dark: A Space-Age, Intergalactic Freeroam RP

How many more people should we have in the RP?

• No More!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 more/ 7-8

• 3-4 more/ 9-10

• 5-6 more/ 11-12

• A full Space Marine Regiment (A Crap-Ton!)

• Total voters

Cry U 945

The Crimson Knight
Welcome to The Deep Dark interest check. The RP will probably only have about 5-6 people at the absolute most.

The Deep Dark will be exactly as the title says, the style drawing from most modern RPG's- aside from basic setting and additional info, completely character driven.

To give an idea of what the universe would be like, think Star Wars or Mass Effect- large, packed with lore, planets, and alien races. The interest check will be full of proposing ideas as well as helping to fabricate the universe, meaning that you should really only join if you have an interest in helping to create this RP.

If you want to have a character be an android, go right ahead. 100 year old alien of a forgotten race? Sure, as long as you provide the lore and background info required. Can you be an unstoppable god, or Mary Sue herself? No, because that would ruin the whole point behind the RP, and we have to have clearly defined boundaries. However, those boundaries are only as limited as our imaginations, as cheesy as that statement sounds, so let's push the edges of them, shall we?

If you're interested, you can be on often, (this is mostly by necessity, as we'll need high activity towards the beginning) and you can use proper grammar (sorry, pet peeve of mine) then go ahead and sign up.

See ya later, space cowboy.

(10 brownie pts to whoever guesses that reference first.)

*Quickly looks up the origin of the reference only to run back into the room* It's from Cowboy Bebop !

Anyhow, I am interested and would like to contribute.

Glad to have you aboard, Jackal! We should get just a couple more people in before we really start discussing everything, and then we can hit the books, if you will.

I love books. I am also highly interested, this looks fresh to death like a bird in a ziploc bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Book lovers unite! Wolololololololololololo...

Sorry about that, the code commands I do so when I meet a fellow reader. And it's great to have you onboard, pentagon! We'll need maybe 1-2 more before we can really start, and then we can hit the lore, because everybody likes lore, right?

Right?

Since it seems like it's taking a while to get more people in, let's start discussing stuff and have people join in as we go. First big thing I thought of: Hardlight technology. Does it exist? If it does, how does it work, how is it used, etc?

What do you guys think?

I think yes, sorta like the way that the light bridges are made in Portal 2... Minus the hair setting on fire.

Alright, so assuming we have Hardlight tech, how does it function? Does it have to have a receiver of some sort, or can it be projected free form, as if it was a hologram? I was thinking free form, but that it has to be near a projector, not twenty feet or so away, like a Halo energy sword, or a Mass Effect omni-tool.

I was thinking of free-form as well as things like bridges but free-form hard light objects drain a huge amount of energy from anything that it is being projected from, while bridges and rigid objects take up less energy,

Nice! That means that the only really efficient ways to use free-form Hardlight would be to fire bolts of it as a projectile or power them with large sources of energy, I.e. shipboard reactors, energy batteries, etc. I've also been thinking-should we have a 'supreme government' type group, like the Galactic Alliance of Mass Effect, where it's a group of major races ruling together? Or should we have the universe divided heavily, where there's at least a faction per planet? Or a combination of both- inner systems part of the government, but the outer systems, the "Fringe", divided by pirates and militaristic factions?

I was thinking of certain galaxies have certain rulers and the planets furthest away from the sun in said galaxies are lawless and dystopian/cyberpunk, while if you begin to go towards the sun the more civilized and Utopian the planets get.

This is substantially interesting to warrant further investigation. Can I ask what roles do corporations play in this world? Have they expanded into mega-corporation, possess sovereign status, and act as a government? How significant are they in the politics of this universe?

That's actually the next point I was about to bring up, so good on you, Quarantinetimer. Should corporations have expanded to the point that they play the role of government, establishing colonies under their thumb on the next inhabitable planet? Or are they still just the corporations of today, dealing in politics by funding the next official they want in power?

And on the topic of governments again, I was thinking something like that too, Jackal, but rather the galaxies closest to a specific place, for example, Earth, are unified as a sometime tentative government. We could also have it so that some galaxies are part of one large government, most have their own government, and outer rim galaxies are Corp controlled.

Well, this really caught my eye. I'd definitely be interested in what could potentially come from this. I really hope this gets off the ground.

I'm in, for sure. Although it is Christmas here so I'm going to be gone for a bit now and then. Now that I think about it and my brain isn't spouting shit, it's Christmas almost everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
If by some miracle this actually starts successfully, I'll join. (Every one I tried to join either died as soon as I did, failed to start after losing momentum, the GM goes missing and everyone just treats the thread like it disappeared, and many more ridiculous situations, so you can understand my skepticism now. Seriously, I've never succeeded joining even ONE single RP since I signed up.)

@Quarantinetimer, I feel your pain. About one out of six RP's I join on this site dies, so don't worry, I'll do my personal best to keep that from happening. Also, I got Fallout 4 and a Drumset for Xmas, so you don't have to worry about the GM getting bored. I'll make sure to check the thread often though, in case anything comes up.

Perhaps the corporations may even form a condominium with the local governments in the outer rim/frontier.

@Quarantinetimer, I could definitely see that happening. I was thinking earlier, what kind of alien races would there be? I've got a couple of ideas, but I want to see what you guys have to say first. The alien races topic is definitely gonna take some time to cover, so it's not necessary to figure it out right now. Really just wanted to mention it to get everybody's gears cranking on the subject in the background, while we work on other things and set up other aspects of the universe. Another one to think about, common ship designs and the like. I'll actually probably set up a chart over the next day or so to help us keep track of all the info, cause I don't want to lose any tidbits here or there.

For the ships, I am think about using a LENR for power, a VASIMR engine for local maneuvering, and a flux drive for interstellar travel. Two of these are hypothetically possible and one of them is fictional. Different shipbuilders will have their own specialties, with some common industry standards. Perhaps some of the alien spacecraft will be more exotic. I think we should create several notable shipbuilding companies, their style, and the types of ships available. Players who choose to own ships will be able to create one out of those info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back