• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Archie

Not even my final form
Supporter
Hey all, I wanted to start a classic Medieval Fantasy RP. Here's the backdrop, let me know if you're interested and if you have any suggestions or want to participate in the worldbuilding:

4cd2ef0c4a9425b796235fc2ea0e5d53.jpg
A century ago, most of the continent of Terris was united under a single government that had brought an end to the continent's incessant wars. Today, unity and peace are a distant memory.

In 800 BA (Before Alithius), the city of Caria was losing a war against its neighbors. Its Senate, in an act of desperation, travelled to the Nether - the parallel dimension to this one from which magic came - to steal the Arcaneum, the founding text of sorcery, from the Nether's mythical ruler. Using their newfound magical power, the Senate vanquished the armies of their neighbors, then conquered the entire continent except for the human supremacist domain of Adar.

Under the Empire, commerce and magical research thrived, and creatures of all races could live freely. Banditry was almost nonexistent, and one could safely travel from one end of Terris to the other with a single passport.

df88378ef8c9fd447d1bb34d73070192.jpg

However, the Senate not share. This group of 100 magically gifted families closely guarded the knowledge of the Arcaneum, and used it to accumulate vast fortunes in land and slaves, leaving little for everyone else. Further, the theft of the Arcaneum from the Nether angered that realm's ruler, the Kraken, who sent legions of abominations and demons to the surface. For a while, the Senate's powerful armies and magic held that threat at bay, but internal divisions within the Senate led to civil wars that devastated the land.

Against the backdrop of civil war and inequality, the prophet Alithius preached that the Senate had angered the Creator of All Life when it stole the Arcaneum, and that the Creator's punishment would not end until magic was regulated according to his rules. Alithius became a rallying point for the poor and the oppressed. Eventually, opportunistic politicians and generals converted to his faith as well, making Alithianism the state religion and suppressing all others.

88c2339a42eb19d0e9ae1be714d6bd55.jpeg
All children of magical ability were locked in Mages' Spires, closely watched by Exalted Knights taking orders from the Sanctum - Alithianism's guiding order. Over time, the Sanctum drew arbitrary distinctions between "light" and "dark" magic, reversing centuries of progress in magical research.

The realm's problems only worsened. Mages became weaker by design, and were rarely let out of the spires. Caria's armies soon were no better than those of the barbarians that invaded from the sea, and in fact had become worse than those of the fire-breathing humans of Adar. The Senate had succeeded in holding back the Shah of Adar for centuries. In the last 100 years of the Imperium's existence, Adar won four wars, each ending in the extermination of all non-humans across entire provinces, on the reasoning that humans were a perfect race descended from the extinct dragons.

90288e6624755.560c00e483c64.jpg
The realm soon fell into unending civil wars, with local warlords and barbarains declaring their own Kingdoms. Eighty years ago, the Orcish warlord Gathranak seized control of Caria itself, declaring the Imperium officially over. The Sanctum at best didn't care, and at worst benefited from this. The end of central authority meant the Sanctum was now the most powerful organization in Terris, and their revenue didn't depend on taxes, it depended on tithes. As long as all the secessionist "Kings" were Alithian, the money would keep flowing.

Things went from bad to worse. The Kings waged wars that devastated what economy Terris had left. Their strife posed an opportunity for the Shahs of Adar to conquer and "purify" increasingly large stretches of land. Abominations sent from the Nether have been terrorizing the entire countryside, and even moving on cities.

This year, Lord Harmon of the small city of Neveston, significant only because of its Spire, decided this all had to come to an end. He ordered his men to slaughter the Exalted Knights guarding the spire, and let the mages out to fight the abominations that were encroaching on his land.

Knowing the Exalted Army would come for him sooner rather than later, Lord Harmon knew he had to go on the attack. Cobbling together a rag-tag force of the mages who were willing (many, terrified of the Exalted Knights, refused the call), his knights, townspeople, and rural folk, he sent them on an impossible mission: travel to Caria, and seize the Arcaneum from the Alithian Sanctum. Using the knowledge inside it, the people of Terris had a fighting chance against the Kraken, the Exalted Army, the warlords, and Adar. Of course, that meant all of those forces would try to oppose them.

The Sanctum was not stupid. The Archrector, with mages in his own employ, cursed Lord Harmon, and he died two days ago. Now, the leadership of the impossible expedition is in the hands of his inexperienced young heir.

We are all members of this expedition, drawn from all walks of life. There's an army marching on us, or maybe several. We can try to defend Neveston, or give up and hide in the countryside as we achieve our mission some other way. Whatever happens, we need to achieve our mission, as it's this continent's last hope.

Very interested! Would playing other races be allowed? And what is considered a reasonable level of magic for our characters to have?

Very interested! Would playing other races be allowed? And what is considered a reasonable level of magic for our characters to have?
Definitely and great question.

For a magic balance system, this is what I'm thinking:

- Magical power depends on 2 things - sensitivity to the Nether, the source of all magic, and precision.

- Precision is basically how "nimbly" you use your magic, and depends on years of training, which probably correlates to age. Nether sensitivity, your total magical endowment, meanwhile, is inborn.

- In order to give non-magical characters a shot, sensitivity to the Nether correlates with the sensitivity of physical senses. So, really tough warriors rarely have much magic, and very talented mages are usually not that good at taking hits.

For kinds of magic, be creative!

There's only two broad categories of magic - that related to the Nether and that related to the Altern. Adar uses Altern magic, and basically everyone else uses the much better understood Nether magic.

If the Nether is a "dark" parallel dimension to the real world, the Altern is a "bright" one. Nether magic is extremely versatile and can do almost anything because the Carian Senators 1,000 years ago stole the Arcaneum, the manual on connections between the Nether and the physical plane. The Altern is basically a giant, unending sun, and the hypothesized home of the dragons, who no longer exist in the physical world. No one has ventured into the Altern and come back.

Fire mages trained by Adar typically don't need much sensitivity, but at the same time don't have any versatility. Basically all they are doing is opening brief portals to the Altern, and releasing fire into the physical world. It's easiest to do this through your throat, which is why most only reach the level of breathing fire. The training process is extremely risky and most trainees will burn their throats out before mastering the technique. Altern magic isn't well understood so this is basically the only application for now.

Sounds cool, I think I grasp the concept of it. I'll see if I can brainstorm up a character idea over the weekend. :)

EDIT: What other races are in the world? Is it pretty much open for us to create as we go, or did you have a set list in mind?

Sounds cool, I think I grasp the concept of it. I'll see if I can brainstorm up a character idea over the weekend. :)

EDIT: What other races are in the world? Is it pretty much open for us to create as we go, or did you have a set list in mind?
Anything goes, except dragons/half dragons and “Godlike” beings. Both exist, just in the Nether and Altern.

Archie Archie
Adding a fine black outline to the red text on the map would make it easier to read. Just a heads up from the slightly colorblind.

I'd be interested!!! Agh havent played a knight in ages!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back