• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Day Haru Was Taken Away (Free! Rp)

Cassie-Roll

Stuck in a Solo Adventure in the Trash Bin
The night Haru had confessed to Makoto, clouds coated the sky, looming over Iwatobi as if a sign something bad was going to happen. They had spent the night at the Tachibana house, Makoto's parents were out on their anniversary dinner and Haru had helped Makoto watch the twins. It wasn't until Ren and Ran were asleep and the two were doing dishes together that the words slipped out of Haru's mouth... And was met with silence.

Haru didn't know what he expected, but the sound of silence was a form of rejection to him. Instead of staying, the raven haired teen ran. He left the Tachibana house and went to one of the only places he felt could calm him, the ocean. Haru wandered the beach with tears falling down his face, he was so focused on what he believed he lost that he didn't notice someone following him until it was too late and Haru was already being punched into unconsciousness and dragged away from his life, the only thing left of him was his sweatshirt that fell off in the struggle.

Five years later and Haru was no where to be found. The case had long since been closed and there seemed to be no sign of him showing up. Most of his friends and family gave up hope that he would ever come back.

Rin was working in the police force now, he was Makoto's partner and though he knew it was wrong, he too had not given up hope. Sure, he wasn't as convinced as Makoto was. The guy was sure Haru was alive and seemed to do everything in his power to try and find him. Rin just was stubborn. He didn't want to say Haru was dead because that would make it real. Instead of focusing on his missing friend, Rin spent his time watching over Makoto. He never knew what exactly happened between the two, but Makoto took Haru's disappearance hard, him being in the police force was obvious example of that.

@waterproofbacon

Makoto collapsed heavily into the chair behind his desk with a sigh. Not only had he been bombarded with an ungodly amount of paperwork from the bank robbery last week, but his supposed “lead” on Haru’s case had wound up being just some punk kid who wanted to see if he could mess with a cop and still avoid trouble. He grabbed his coffee mug and took a swig, knowing full well that no amount of caffeine in the world could ease the headache that’d started to take hold.

Makoto looked around the office and thought, not for the first time, that this was not where he’d desired to end up. No, he’d wanted to be a firefighter, someone who was praised for heroics and bravery, not one who was blamed because of the bindings of the law. But he’d had no choice. Haru’s disappearance had completely altered the path his life had been walking. They'd called it an accident, a coincidence, god dammit even a suicide. Makoto knew better. Haru had been kidnapped and he was still in danger, and if the police wouldn't help him, Makoto would become someone who could.

The adjustment had been hard on Makoto. Being surrounded by darkness and crime every day would put a damper on anyone's spirits, even an optimist like Makoto. Not only that, but he'd been forced to accept that he couldn't simply look for Haru every waking moment of every day. He had duties now, and like it or not, those ate up most, if not all of his time. He needed to be on the inside for this to work, as much as that pained him to admit.

His cup drained, Makoto got up to go into the break room for another refill- the paperwork would have to wait a little longer.

Rin had been working at his own desk by Makoto's, he was glad that he was the other's partner since that meant he could keep an eye on him and make sure he didn't do anything harmful. He knew Makoto's main goal was to find Haru and he would help with that any way he could, but he also didn't want Makoto to get himself in trouble due to it.

Rin was working on his own paperwork, as annoying as it was, but he took the chance of Makoto getting up as a way to follow and talk to him, make sure Makoto was doing alright. He knew Makoto was probably tired and wanted to just check up on the other. Anyways, Rin could always do with a coffee refill.

"Hey, Makoto." Rin said as he caught up to the older man. "You doing alright?" He asked, as stupid as he knew the question was. Of course Makoto wasn't alright, the other was functioning with the sole purpose of bringing back his friend who very well could be dead now... Still, he hoped he could get at least some sort of answer so he could help Makoto out before the idiot ignored his own life for a small gleam of hope.

Makoto turned his head to see Rin with all three C's written on his face: calm, cool, and concerned. Throughout this entire process, Rin had always been there to anchor Makoto when he started to drift too far off into the abyss that Haru's case tended to lead him to. He was grateful for Rin, more than he could ever vocalize. "I'm..." come to think of it, how was he? Fine, great, okay, better- every option that reeled through his head sounded like a blatant lie.

Makoto picked up the coffee pot and started pouring himself a cup before settling on an answer. "I'm awake," he said with a sad smile. Awake was about all he could muster right now. You'd think that after 5 years of dead ends Makoto would be used to the disappointment, but that was far from the truth. The truth was that whether it be 5 days or 5 years, his heart could never forget Haru.

Makoto sighed and continued with a soft voice; he just needed to have someone hear what he'd been thinking. "I just hate not knowing, you know? I hate having to rely on other people to get what I want done. I hate thinking about what hell he must be going through right now because I haven't found him yet. I hate that there's someone who managed to take him away and keep him away from all of this," he gestured loosely to the police work room. "And I really hate- ouch!" A sharp pain came over Makoto's hand, causing him to instinctively pull back and inspect the damage. In the moment he'd forgotten the coffee pot in his hand and had accidentally overfilled his mug; the black liquid poured over and had burned his hand. Brilliant.

Sighing again, Makoto started searching the cabinets for paper towels to clean up the mess, muttering to himself the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rin watched as Makoto poured the coffee, he wasn't happy to hear his response, but he knew there wasn't much more he could ask for other than being awake. He knew Makoto and Haru were close, they had been like an extended being on each other, he could only imagine the hell Makoto was going through trying to find him.

Rin was happy to hear Makoto open up, he knew no matter what it would help him out a bit, at least let him get out his feelings, though it did make Rin worry. He too worried about what was happening to Haru if he was alive, sure it wasn't plaguing his mind every day like it was with Makoto, but still he was worried. Even more worried about what would happen if they did find Haru. Neither of them knew the state he would be in.

When Makoto pulled his hand back Rin jumped slightly and sighed, he had been so focused on what Makoto was saying, he too hadn't realized the overfilling coffee mug. He guessed they both were easily distracted. Rin helped find the paper towels and handed some to Makoto before going to assist in cleaning up the mess.

"Take care of yourself first... Okay Makoto? I know you're worried about him... But he wouldn't want you to get too reckless or ignore your own health..." Rin sadi with a sigh.

How can I think of myself when he's still out there?! I don't matter nearly as much as him! After all, I...I love-

"As much as I hate to admit it," He tossed the soggy towels in the trash bin and looked at Rin dead in the eyes, "You're right. Thanks." He patted Rin on his shoulder and grabbed his coffee. "Gah, I've still got so much work to do, do I really have to go back to that?" he asked, moving his line of attention back to his desk. It was about then that he noticed Gou, his boss, leaning over his desk and writing something on his notepad- her favorite roundabout method of communication. Geeze, that woman.

Motioning for Rin to follow, because these types of notes almost always involved him too, Makoto walked back to his desk and read the note.

New missing person case, young male, last seen on the beach, hoodie left at the scene. Case is yours if you want it.

Don't say I never did anything nice for you.

-Gou

Haru. This was the same person that was responsible for Haru's case, Makoto could feel it. This was his chance to finally catch the scum that kidnapped Haru.

Makoto handed the note to Rin, a smile on his face that was half out of excitement and half of...he wasn't quite sure. It was something like malice but softer- malice's cousin.

I'm coming, Haru.

Rin was relieved to hear Makoto agree with him, knowing that things would be better if Makoto managed to take care of himself first before looking for Haru. He knew his old friend wouldn't want Makoto unhealthy and hurt anyways.

He followed along, rolling his eyes when he saw his sister writing a note on Makoto's desk. When he went over and read the note his eyes widened slightly as he looked to Makoto. "...This is just like what happened to him..." He trailed off and went to grab his things. "I'll go get the car ready." He said, already knowing Makoto would want to find this guy as fast as possible, especially if it was a lead to Haru.

Rin grabbed his cuffs and gun and went to head out to the car, all he could hope for was a lead to find Haru.

---

Haru opened his eyes slowly as light was shone throughout the room. He was tied up to a post on a bed in the basement of his captor and could hear said man fumbling about the room. Haru's eyes were dull as they tried to focus, he felt weak though it wasn't unusual, he always wondered how he was still alive. His body was thin and frail, covered in bruises and cuts and used as a play toy for his captor routinely. His captor barely cared for his health, giving him small meals and only an occasionally bath and choppy haircut. Haru had gotten used to the beatings though and didn't believe he'd ever get out of here alive, he gave up on the hope of being rescued.

When Haru finally was able to focus on what his captor was doing, he saw another young man limp on the floor, being tied to another pole. Haru couldn't help but feel a slight pang of sympathy, knowing that this guy would only receive the same treatment as Haru. This also filled Haru with a small sense of fear. If his captor was getting a new victim... Did that mean he was going to get rid of Haru? Part of the raven haired male wanted to accept death, but another part of him felt he should try to stay alive, in case there is any hope.... Though, he knew he was far beyond broken and doubted he could ever be repaired.

The car ride was...an experience. So many conflicting thoughts and feelings were colliding inside Makoto's head that it was hard enough to breathe, let alone think clearly. Would he be able to find any clues? Would more people be willing to help him find the criminal? Hope for Haru and rage towards his captor continued to battle for control. His mouth tasted bad.

Makoto had asked Rin to drive since he had a bad habit of daydreaming when he thought about Haru's case. He did not need to get into a car accident today, thank you very much. Makoto turned on the radio to give him something, anything to focus on other than the case. Sure, he hated just about every song on the radio these days, but as long as it staved off the silence, it would do.

"Do you think we're gonna find anything?" he asked Rin. "I know that there wasn't much with Haru's case, but do you think that maybe...?" He let his voice trail off.

Once Makoto was in the car, Rin began driving off to the beach, part of him hoping this would lead them to Haru as well.

When Makoto asked him that he chewed his lip. "...i don't know...i really hope we find sonething Makoto..." He said. When they got to the beach he parked and quickly got out of the car, the sweatshirt could be seen.

By the sweatshirt the sand was clumped, showing a struggle and there was a clump of blonde hair on the sand.

Makoto got out of the car and hurried over to where the sweatshirt was laid down. He knew that he shouldn't touch it since forensics would want to take prints, but actually resisting the urge was difficult. "The victim was grabbed here," Makoto said to himself, studying the scene. "It looks like he put up a good fight but ultimately wound up being dragged away."

His gaze followed the sand lines. Suddenly, a flash of yellow caught his eye which, upon further investigation turned out to be a clump of hair. Makoto slipped on his gloves, put it in an investigation bag, and showed it to Rin. "This might just be what I was looking for," he said which a genuine smile. "God, if this hair belongs to the guy who did all of this then I can finally catch him. I must be dreaming."

He handed the bag of hair to one of the forensic scientists, who said they'd have the results within the next 10 minutes. Makoto went back to Rin and tried to act as casual as possible even though his hands were shaking.

Rin followed Makoto and looked over the scene, trying to figure out when it happened and what direction the person was took. When the hair was found Rin tensed and looked at Makoto. "This could be it.."

He paused and ran a hand through his hair. "If we find out who this is we need to go to the guys house and find them...just try to keep a cool head... We can't be reckless." He said, looking to Makoto.

The hair ended up belonging to a local doctor who didn't live too far away.

In no time the two found themselves in front of the doctor's house. All of Makoto's training demanded he check the perimeter before entering, but his heart was screaming at him to forget everything and stop the psycho living inside the house. Rin's words echoed in his mind we can't be reckless. He was right, of course, Rin was right all the time. But the truth wasn't always super easy to swallow.

The house was big, the biggest in the neighborhood actually. Must be convenient for kidnapping people, Makoto thought bitterly. The reports had said that this doctor lived alone, which meant that the car in the driveway was his.

He went to consult with Rin. "We need a plan. I'm almost positive he's keeping them in the basement, but we don't know where he is in the house or if he has any weapons. There's a front and back door, we'll both take one andclear the first floor before moving to the basement. Which door do you want?"

"I'll take the backdoor. Backup is coming in case wee need it..." Rin said, taking out his gun and going to head towards the back, waiting for Makoto's signal before he went inside. He was going to let Makoto call the shots on this, since he knew how much this meant to the other.

The doctor had realized the police were here and went to run out the back door until he realized he was surrounded. He growled and ran upstairs, going to get something to attack the cops with. Rin caught a glimpse of him through the window and tensed.

The other victim was still passed out and Haru could hear his captor running about, cursing. He didn't know what was going on, but he didn't have the energy to worry about it.

Makoto made eye contact with Rin before nodding the signal. The front door was wooden and only required a healthy kick to open up. The door swung back and slammed into the wall of the house with a loud BANG! Whoever was inside would surely be aware of his presence by now, but Makoto didn't care. Gun in hand, he cleared the front two rooms before moving onto the living and dining rooms.

He paused and listened. It was too damn quiet, especially after all the noise Makoto had made. Something wasn't right.

Makoto hurried to the back of the house to check on Rin only to find a person, presumably the doctor, creeping towards Rin, bat in hand. "Rin! Behind you!"

Rin kicked in the door before going to clear the rooms, gun in hand. When Makoto called to him, Rin quickly turned around and aimed the gun at the man. "Get on the ground!" He yelled. And kept the gun pointed at the man.

"Makoto, I got him, go check the house for them " he said, wanting to give Makoto the chance to find Haru and the other victim. He really hoped they were okay and things weren't as bad as they seemed.

After a bit a searching, Makoto found the door to the basement. He opened it and shivered as a gust of cold wind brushed against his face. He tried the lights but was disappointed when only a couple of dim lightbulbs came on, lighting the staircase enough for him to just barely see the stairs. Makoto kept his gun in hand just in case there was someone helping the doctor and slowly descended the stairs, his heart racing at about a million times faster than normal.

"Hello?" he called when he reached the bottom, "This is the Iwatobi Police, is there anyone down here?"

Haru was still tied to the dusty old bed in the basement, his clothes dirty and loose on his now thin and frail body. He tensed when he heard someone come downstairs but when he heard it was the police his eyes widened and tears formed in his eyes.

Never did he think he was going to get out.

He spoke with a shaky voice, so much unlike his own due to his unhealthy state and lack of use. "H-help.." He managed to croak out, hoping he had been heard. The new victim was tied up to the floor, finally conscious and just as surprised and thankful.

"We're over here..!" The other victim said.

Makoto followed the voices to the back of the room. He reached into his back pocket, grabbed his flashlight, and turned it on. In front of his very eyes, his worst nightmare materialized. It was Haru, alright, Makoto could never forget those piercing blue eyes. But other than that, he looked completely different. His once silky black hair was chopped up and sticking up, dirty just like the rest of his bruised body. "Oh my God! Haru!" Makoto exclaimed, tears pricking at his eyes. "You two just hold on, I'm going to get you out of here."

He went to the boy chained to the pole first. With a bit of lock picking, the boy was free in no time. "Go on upstairs. My partner is there, he'll take care of you."

Turning his attention back to Haru, Makoto bit back a sob. He got down on his knees next to the bed Haru was laid on and just stared. How could someone do this to anyone? Haru was the most beautiful person he knew and now...No, he wouldn't think of that. "I'm here, Haru. God, I'm so sorry." He kept apologizing to Haru as he began to undo the restraints. It wasn't like he'd done anything wrong, he just needed something to say, something to maybe take back a little bit of the otherwise extraordinary pain that Makoto knew Haru must've been feeling.

When all of the restraints were off, Makoto ran a hand through Haru's hair, trying to ignore the way his fingers kept getting caught on matted patches of hair. "We're gonna get you out of here now. Can you stand? Or would you mind me carrying you?"

When light shone in Haru's face he was momentarily blinded, he squinted and all he could think was that this was over, he could go home.

The moment Haru saw it was Makoto holding the flashlight, confusion took over. His best friends name slipped past his lips in a quiet whisper as he watched Makoto unchain the other victim who quickly went upstairs. Haru never thought Makoto would become a police man, but when he walked over in uniform it was enough proof.

Haru felt even more pathetic now and knew he must have looked terrible, like a shell of his old self. He was dirty and a mess... Obviously used and beaten. Never before had Haru felt so ashamed, even if he never wanted this to happen, it did, and having his best friend be the first one to find him in this state was practically moritifying. Haru felt as though Makoto was probably glad he never returned Haru's feelings...

When Makoto began to apologize Haru frowned and shook his head, he barely realized the tears that were falling down his own face, he had been in so much pain that he was used to crying now. He knew thus wasn't Makoto's fault, of anything it was his own. He was the coward who ran off at night, the idiot who didn't pay attention to his surroundings and got himself kidnapped.

Once Haru was untied, he felt free, yet all the pain and realization was hitting him full force. He shook his head at Makoto's last question, his eyes looking down at the floor being even more ashamed with himself and his weak, terrible body. "...i-i don't think i-i can walk.." Was all his said, his voice quiet as he spoke and trying to retain some of it's stoicism, though he knew a breakdown was imminent with everything hitting him like this.

Makoto nodded because he just couldn't trust his voice to not crack at a time like this. Slowly and as gently as possible, Makoto slid his hands under Haru's body and lifted him up. It was shocking just how light Haru had become since Makoto had last seen him, he felt like he was barely lifting anything at all. Just what the hell did he to to him?

Makoto shook his head. This wasn't the time to think about that now. Now...now he just wanted to take Haru somewhere safe, somewhere far, far away from that goddamn basement. He carried Haru bridal style up the stairs, one arm supporting from under the legs, and one hand pressing Haru's head to Makoto's chest just because it felt like the right thing to do.

He found Rin in the kitchen, the doctor handcuffed and passed out, a large welt forming on his forehead. Makoto was pleased that the doctor was unconscious because if he wasn't, Makoto probably would've beaten him senseless. He gave Rin a look, one that held all of his happiness and fatigue, one that said thank you and we found him and God, this is so messed up. He wanted to say something and yet found himself at a loss for words. So he settled for a firm nod.

Haru held onto Makoto with as much strength as he could manage, which wasn't much. He felt so ashamed that he couldn't even properly stand and when he was brought up the stairs it sunk in that he wasn't going back in that basement anymore.

He first saw the familiar red hair of Rin and wasn't as surprised to see he was a cop. He then saw the doctor and he visibly tensed and buried his face in Makoto's chest, unable to even look at the man.

Rin's eyes widened when he saw Haru and the state he was in. He frowned and gave Makoto another nod back. "He should be brought to the hospital.." Rin said quietly, knowing Haru wasn't in a good state right now.

Makoto frowned as he felt the small weight in his arms tense and become even smaller. He knew that seeing the doctor alone must bring up every single moment of the past five years, seeming like they had just occurred. Makoto just wished he could replace Haru's trembling with peace, as foolish and as naive as that sounded.

Just then, six more police officers entered the house- the back up that Rin had mentioned earlier. They were a little late, sure, but not too late to deal with the criminal. After exchanging a couple of words with Rin and Makoto, the back up team began moving the doctor into one of the troopers.

Once again, he was left with Rin and the two victims. "Okay, I'll take Haru to the hospital. Are you coming with us?"

Rin shook his head. "I need to handle things here and the other victim wasn't hurt. I'll catch up with you two later." He said with a small sigh.

Haru held onto Makoto still, not wanting to be apart from the other. He didn't seem too excited to go to the hospital but he knew it had to be done. He let out a shaky breath and peeked up at Makoto.

"Yeah, see ya. And Rin? Thank you. For everything." He gave Rin a small smile. He really was grateful for the sassy red-head. Through the crazy emotional journey that had been the last 5 years, Rin had never faltered at Makoto's side.

Makoto glanced down and locked eyes with Haru, green on blue, completely unwavering. Makoto searched for something to say but came up blank, his social skills having all but died during his jaded cop years. Instead, he opted for touching his forehead to Haru's, like they used to do when they were kids.

After a few moments, he parted, attention now on the other victim who insisted that he was "fine, really, just in need of some sleep". Normally Makoto would've argued with him to come to the hospital, but he was far more worried about Haru. So he left the boy with instructions to visit the police office later in the week and sent him off on his merry way.

He left with Haru still in his arms, wanting nothing more than to get Haru to a doctor as quickly as possible. He opened the door to the backseat and laid Haru across the seats, being careful to set him down carefully. He then moved to the back of the car and rummaged around in the trunk before coming back with a fuzzy blanket, which he promptly placed on top of his friend. "I'm going to find someone who can help you, just hang tight for a little while longer."

The door slammed shut, Makoto got behind the wheel, turned on his emergency lights, and drove like he was trying to break a speed record. Laws be damned, they didn't help Haru before, and they certainly weren't going to stop Makoto from doing what he needed to do.

Haru didn't squirm much in Makoto's arms and when his forehead was pressed against Haru's own, tears formed in Haru's eyes. Never did he think he would see Makoto again, see those calming green eyes.

When Haru was brought outside and the cold night air hit him everything caught up to him and he let out a quiet sob. He was out of there, he was in the arms of his best friend, he was so, so broken...

Haru let himself be placed down in the back of the car, he tried to shift a bit but pain shot through his body like a silent scream not to. Tears still streamed down Haru's face and he only realized how freezing cold he was when a blanket was placed on top of him and his shivering slowed down.

He looked ahead of him at Makoto as he got in the drivers seat, still he could not believe the warm hearted Makoto became a cop. Haru closed his eyes and tried to wipe away more tears, he didn't want Makoto to see how broken he was, that would only make him find Makoto more repulsive.

He didn't know how fast they were going, but the blaring siren made Haru wince slightly. He knew that whatever speed Makoto was driving was not legal and was making Haru feel even more dizzy. "..s-slow down Makoto.." He mumbled, they didn't need them both to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back