• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Zero Two

munch munch
The Cyntra - Chapter 1 - The Hunted

Fang Hall.jpg

The day is the day, Fang is holding a ceremony. A ceremony to welcome its newest team to the ranks. Made up of strong, brave, useful, warriors. Everyone who has free time in the village of Hopenex will make their way over to the Fang Hall to witness brave souls be sworn into oath to risk their lives for the betterment and future of the human race. Music is playing, chatter among all the people attending can be heard all throughout the halls. Loud laughing as empty glasses of beer slam onto the tables. Maids of the hall hurrying to keep up with all the orders of drinks and food.

A man then coughs loudly, gathering everyones attention, slowly but surely. His name is Astan Roth, current leader of the Fang. He prepares a speech: "Hello, everyone, today is a big day. Today our village will get yet another team of strong warriors who have trained most of their lives to be here. I'm sure the families of said warriors are both proud and nervous, as they'll see the kids they raised risking their lives to protect them and everything we have spent the last 800 years, trying to build and maintain. Because, today, I too, have a kid joining this team. Most of you probably already know this though. I am just incredibly proud of the young warrior and woman she has turned out to be. As I am of all the people being sworn in today. Now without anymore waiting, let us introduce our newest team members." Astan finishes his sentence, guiding his arms and hands towards a set of stairs as a group of people begin to walk down them. Apart of that group of people is you and your character.

"There they are everybody!" The crowd of people in the hall begin to cheer.

After what feels like an eternity of being sworn into the Fang Faction, the brave warriors head outside. Outside they are greeted to a small bonfire, under the moonlit sky, and a group of people enjoying the festivity of sorts. The new team decides to sit down together and formally introduce themselves.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rem finds a nice spot beside the fire and begins to speak loudly enough so that everyone around her, could hear. "Nice to meet you. I'm Rem, yeah the bosses daughter, Don't think I plan on milking that, I'm here for the same purpose you are. To kill those bastards. I'm 19 and my affinity is lightning. I've been training for literally my entire life, and it's gonna feel good to be able to officially be sent out on missions dedicated to one day, maybe finding a way to deal with all of this better."

Jumping into the conversation the girl next to her begins to speak, deciding to get the introductions out of the way. "Hell-o-o" stuttering a bit, obviously shy. "My name is C-Casey, Casey Scoutwarm. I don't really know why I'm here, they've tried to train me in combat... but they gave up. My affinity is transformation, so the fang chose me to be apart of this team to support you guys when you need equipment and repairs done. I hope we can all get along, you all look like a really capable bunch, a lot more capable than me..." Casey finishes with a small, shy, smile.

Last edited:
Lothar walked down the stairs with a mug in hand, taking a sip as he waved and smiled at the people who cheered for the new members of the Fang. He wasn't one to really enjoy large events like this, but he appreciated the sentiment and considering the times... any reason to celebrate was a good thing. So, while not particularly enjoying the festival, Lothar still held his up high, slight smile on his face and went through the motions of the ceremony. When it was finally dying down and the focus shifted from the new members to the drinks and festival itself, Lothar slipped out of the Fang Hall and sat by a small bonfire. It seemed like he wasn't the only one who felt similarly as the other new members seemed to slip out too. One of them started to speak up and then another.

"So formal." Lothar commented with a slight chuckle. "Guys, the village ain't THAT big. Pretty sure I bump into everyone here at least once a month. Anyways, you guys know me. I think they picked me for similar reasons that they picked Casey over there too, but then again I guess not a lot of people are interested in artifacts like I am too... wonder when our first mission is going to be. Maybe it'll be as early as tomorrow morning." as Lothar sullenly took a sip from his mug.

⋆☽SHADE RAVENSCROFT☾⋆

S
hade bit his tongue throughout the entirely of the so-called celebration, only half listening to its formamlities. The existence of Cyntra and humanity's continued need to hunt them was nothing to drink to, and the eerie looking boy had always found such displays of rowdiness distasteful.

He watched with slight curiosity as the new recruits began to slip away, trailing after them in silence from the hidden safety of the shadows. Their voices were loud, so loud that hearing every word they said even amongst the general noise and organized chaos was easy. Casey's stuttering particularity grated on his nerves. The last thing they needed when facing the scourge was a helpless liability with some flashy but altogether weak affinity.

She'll be dead within a week, Shade thought to himself. He could only hope the rest of the new recruits weren't stupid enough to lay down their own lives attempting to save hers. Reckless acts of heroism never paid in a world without happy endings. He knew this far too well.

The other two, Lothar and Remy, the daughter of the boss, seemed slightly more promising. He wouldn't get his hopes up until he'd seen them prove themselves in battle, however. A lot of these new Fang recruits were big talkers right up until they met their first Cyntra. It was pathetic, really.

Figuring he'd surprise the newbies for a bit of entertainment, Shade soundlessly made his way to the area behind them before lifting the shadows that had helped to conceal his slender form.

"Or maybe it'll be tonight," he purred with a sadistic-sounding edge as he joined the conversation, "you never really know."

Dropping the act and swishing closer in his dark clothing, Shade appraised the small group with his cold, expressionless eyes.

"I'll congratulate you on your bravery once you've shown some. Any reckless kid with a sword and a false sense of heroism can join. It's what happens outside that matters."

His eyes lingered on Casey for a moment as though contemplating if she was even bold enough to follow through with joining, but Shade shook his head slightly.

"Welcome. I don't care for introductions, but I suppose there are worse places to meet." His voice was colder and more emotionless than the politeness of his words would have you believe, but Shade figured he owed any potential allies at least that much.

Rem listens to Lothar speak as he playfully mocks her and Casey for being too formal, also wondering when/what our first mission will be like.

"Yeah, yeah, Lothar, I barely ever see you. You're always busy doing something. Thought I'd use this as a chance to formerly greet you and everyone else." Rem smiles, softly.

As soon as Casey began to speak, everyone heard a voice emerging from the shadows. One of the members that got assigned on the new team. Shade Ravenscroft. - Probably the most experienced when it came to actually fighting The Cyntra.

Listening to what the suspicious looking Shade had to say, Rem surveying Shade the entire time he spoke, she thought that the guy has probably been through more than he can chew. Most people have. However, she didn't like the fact that he was eavesdropping, realizing it was her own fault for talking too loud, still upset.

"Okay buddy, who do you think you are to eavesdrop? Just join the conversation like anyone else, we're all just trying to have a good time and ease our minds before we risk our lives, you know? I know I have a big mouth but still..." Rems face turns red, she made a scene and now people were looking at her.

Trying to play the situation off, she begins to speak again. "Well, whatever, it isn't that big of a deal I guess. But, yeah, nice to actually meet you. I'm Rem, but you probably already knew that. I mean my dad lets everyone know, it's kind of a drag honestly. But I know what you mean, the world outside the village, is dark. It's risky and you never have a guarantee to come back. But I mean I've been trained my whole life for this, how hard can it really be?" Rem starts making punching motions in the air, trying to look serious and cool, but failing. "Our team is strong, I have faith in-"

Before Rem can finish her sentence, she is cut off by Casey, who is now imitating what Rem was doing: punching the air. "Yeah! Faith! We can kill all those motherfrickers!" Still punching the air.

Rem gives Casey a weird glare. But says nothing.

"Aw come on guys, lighten up, everyone is too serious around here. I mean yeah people die, but we have to try and be positive or else The Cyntra will win no matter what. If they don't kill us, the darkness they leave behind will." Casey, pauses and thinks for a bit. "I know what'll cheer you up, lets go and request a mission tonight, right now, we'll show those bastards who is boss!" Casey says in a way too optimistic tone. Putting her hands on her hips. When nobody is looking, Casey lets off a sly-evil grin.

( spookie spookie Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon )

When Vale was informed that Fang will be holding a ceremony for the new recruits, he was expecting them to leave the little village to dispose of Cyntras to show that they are capable of survival. Or something along those lines at least. Instead, the sound of celebration reached his ears long before descending the stairs. The sheer volume of it made him wonder how none of the Cyntra that surrounds the village can hear it. Thinking that this is all a waste of resources and frankly, his time. He quickly left the halls to join the others who left before him and followed the soft glow of the bonfire.

He arrived just in time to hear the commotion that's transpiring within the group. They are just as loud as the celebrations inside. Vale thought as the girl - Casey was it? - interrupted the leader's daughter with a yell of profanity. It looks like nothing important will happen. Vale was about to leave the area in hopes of doing something better with his time when he hears Casey mention something about requesting a mission tonight. Vale saw this as an opportunity to gauge his team's current skill level and as a practice for working in groups. Two birds with one stone. With this in mind, he decided to introduce himself to the others.

"Hello, I'm Vale. Though, some of you may probably know that already. It's a small village after all." He started. Looking at the members in a much closer distance, Vale can recognize their faces from bumping into them while working in the village. "I can't help but hear Casey say something about requesting a mission, and I just want to share my interest in joining all of you. It's a great way to spend our first night as recruits, no?" Offering a smile as he sits down beside the bonfire, waiting for the others to respond.

Vale now comes into the conversation, showing interest in what Casey had said moments earlier, requesting a mission tonight.

Casey lets off a big grin and cheers "See guys, even this guy, um, Vale was it? Is interested in kicking some Cyntra ass!" Still being overbearingly positive.

Rem watches and listens, annoyed with Casey and her positive attitude. "Okay, Casey, like you have the say to request a mission. You're just support after all. But, regardless, I'm not opposed. They were going to send us out in the morning and let us get one good final rest in before official entering the Fang lifestyle but I'd actually like to go out tonight too. I'll go talk to dad about it, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to hear we want to start tonight." Rem finishes, while walking back towards the Fang Hall.

"ALL RIGHT!" Casey cheers, followed by a small jump into the air. "I wonder how many of us will die, hopefully nobody, but I know a lot of teams like ours lose people on their first and second missions usually, hopefully we can break that cycle. I hear they throw celebrations like these so more Cyntra will come to the surrounding forest, the Cyntra usually get disracted by the wildlife in the forest and then they send out the newbies like us to go and kill the Cyntra. Mostly humanoids. This is how the Fang measures our strength. Kinda messed up if you ask me." Casey finishes, accidentally revealing a sly-evil grin. Luckily, she thought nobody noticed. and began to talk in an overly excited voice "WELL anyway, I can't wait to properly fight alongside you guys. I just now it is going to be an adventure to die for." Casey finishes, smiling.

⋆☽SHADE RAVENSCROFT☾⋆

"I don't consider it eavesdropping unless the other party is making at least some attempt to hide what they're saying." His words were blunt, but measured in tone. This girl had anger issues, provoking them was somewhat tempting but not worth the irritation.

Shade watched Remy's growing outburst as though it were an accident scene, his face barely concealing the odd mix of curiosity and annoyance he was currently feeling. At least she eventually attempted to control herself.

"Yes, I know who all of you are. Much can be learned from simple memory and observation. As such, I should hope stating my name isn't necessary."

He shot a glare over in Casey's direction, but Shade's eyes remained dark as he spoke the next few words.

"It's harder than you'll ever know. For those with something left to live for, fear is extremely powerful. Not impossible to overcome, but that's not something I see often on first missions. If you truly perform as well as you seem to be expecting to, you may earn a bit of my respect. If any of you piss your pants however, I will leave you out there with no hesitation."

Shade's attempt at a dramatic pause was ruined by more of Casey's stupidity.

"Optimism feeds hungry Cyntra, but having bait is useful, so be my guest," he spat, words colder than any ice affinity could hope for, "that being said, I wouldn't be against a mission tonight."

Deciding the stupid girl wasn't worth more of his time, Shade instead folded his arms and stared at the changing tones of the fire. If they did end up going tonight, it would be a useful way of judging who was worthless Cyntra food and who might be worth considering an ally, if any.

Vale's appearance seemed to confirm an approval for speeding up the newbie's first outing, and when Remy mentioned that she'd ask her dad, Shade simply nodded in agreement.

Casey continued to act stupid, to the point where Shade was beginning to find her suspicious. There was something sinister about her grin and cheerful voice given the subject matter. He wouldn't say anything, but watching her carefully couldn't possibly harm anyone. He almost hoped there was something sinister about the girl, because the thought of anyone being that much of a genuine moron was sickening.

"If someone dies on their first mission, they weren't worthy of joining the Fang. Your theory is fairly logical," Shade cringed hard at having to say that, "and if it's true, it's messed up but also a useful method. Bleeding hearts and heroes don't last long in this group. I know. I've had to carry back whatever remains the Cyntra left behind for their burials." Shade's eyes glimmered coldly from behind his black hair. Two could play the creepy game.

The Fang Hall was the biggest building in Hopenex, getting built onto regularly the more people that are born into the village. Two stories tall, with a stone foundation and sturdy wooden exterior and interior. Most homes and shops - although not many - are built with wood and thatch and are in - pretty OK conditions. The village is surrounded by a small wall, a large barricade of stone and wood, accompanied with wooden watch towers stationed along said wall. The village is the biggest it has been yet, with advancements in weapons/armor and better trainers to train young kids to fight and use magic, that grow up to be good warriors. - Each year, fewer and fewer Cyntra attack the village. (Although that may be about to change.) - Our team of warriors has finally met each other, while some skipped out on the bonfire and went home to rest. So far the personalities of the warriors seem to be quite different, but I'm sure they'll get used to each other. Opposites tend to attract. Casey, suggested the team of accompanying warriors go out on a mission tonight to liven everyone spirits. (Not because she has some kinds of hidden agenda... right?) Rather than tomorrow morning. - With nobody being opposed to the idea, Rem took off towards the Fang Hall to talk to her dad about getting her and her teammates a mission for the night. (People attending the mission are Rem, Casey, Lothar, Shade and Vale. Gabriel went home to sleep instead of gathering at the bonfire with his team. If you want Gabriel to join in the mission, just say he followed the group out.)
Rem enters the Fang Hall, a mess with empty bottles laying on tables and food on the floor. The Fang maids, people who regularly clean the hall and bring guests meals, are cleaning the Hall, but taking their sweet time. Rem heads upstairs, the wooden stairs creak as walking up them. Walking down the hallway at the top, alongside the hallway are various door alongside the wall on the right. At the end on a hallway, a door in the center of the wall, Astans Office, Rems dad. Rem enters, her dad sitting at his wooden desk with a candle lit, beside a book and a group of papers. Astan appears to be filling out paperwork. As Rem enters, her dad looks up, "Oh my! If it isn't my little warrior. What can I help you with, babe?" Obviously a loving father, although when it comes to combat, he works Rem to the bone.

"Oh, hey dad, yeah thanks, um, well you see, is it maybe possible for us to get a mission tonight? We're all really eager and I think some of the other guys don't have much faith in our team and abilities." Rem says, reluctant to hear what her father has to say.

Astans eyes squint for a bit, and begin to look Rem up and down. "So, you guys are excited to go out and risk your lives huh? I'll let you in on a secret. This little celebration we had tonight is probably going to bring in a couple groups of Cyntra to the nearby forests tonight, they usually get distracted by killing the animals in the woods, some groups wandering off. But some stay, continuing to kill animals in the forest slowly making their way here. Which is why we WAIT and send you guys out the following morning so you don't have to worry so much and can actually see what's going on. This isn't a f**king game, you could die at any second out there, Rem. I don't see why you and your team are so eager, but if you're agreeing in unison that you want to go out tonight, then..." Astan sighs "I guess I have something you can do." Astan looks down at the papers on his desk and begins to rub his forehead. "Earlier today we sent out a team to get some supplies from the forest, towards the river. Which is usually the safest spot to go, however, they still haven't made it back and should have forever ago. I want you and your teammates to go and survey the area. Just head towards the river, see if you can see any Cyntra or a campsite, or something. If you see Cyntra, don't engage unless you have to and make your way back here. We'll prepare a more experienced team to go instead if you find anything. If the Cyntra are starting to nest near the river. We're screwed. We can't have that. So go on, don't let me down and be careful, okay?" Astan gets up from the desk, walking over towards Rem.

"Dad, it's not that I'm eager to risk my life, it's that I'm eager to finally start fighting back. Fighting those monsters that have took so much from everyone. I promise I'll do you and everyone else proud." Rem smiles.

Astan begins to hug Rem, "I love you, my girl. All grown up. I know you got this."

After the two finish saying there farewell, Rem exits the Fang Hall and makes her way back over to the bonfire. "Okay guys, we got the ok for a mission. We're to head towards the river, to the west of the village, apparently a team sent to collect supplies earlier today hasn't come back. Dad wanted us to go and inspect the forest and path that leads to the river. Cyntra might have made there way there, which is odd because they usually come from the east, from the mountains and thicker forests. He wants us to see if we can find any Cyntra, a campsite or anything showing some sort of activity. If the Cyntra are starting to nest near our own water supply to use as their own, while getting tasty snacks when our villagers go to gather supplies and water, would be bad. We're not to engage Cyntra unless we have to, and make our way back here."

Last edited:
While Rem left the bonfire with a promise to secure them a job, Vale looked around and observed the rest of the recruits. With her constant yelling and misplaced optimism, Casey caught Vale's attention first. Vale can't shake the feeling of unease whenever he looks at Casey. Something about her seems off. Maybe it's her overly enthusiastic demeanor in the face of possible danger or how her whole personality took a 180 degree turn, from barely speaking up in the first place to the banshee-like voice she's manifesting now. Whatever it may be, it rubs him in a wrong way. Though, what she said about how the Fang measures our strength did make sense. Even Shade, with his scathing remarks seemed to agree with her though it looked like it hurt him to do so. Speaking of Shade, most - if not all - of what he said rings true. How he phrased it sounded like a threat, and Vale feels like he meant it as one. A little bit of intimidation doesn't hurt anyone after all, as long as it gets the message through. Lastly, Vale's eyes wonder in the foreigner's direction, looking at his frame lit by the bonfire. Vale doesn't have much of an opinion on him since Lothar chose to stay silent during the whole thing. Thus, Vale chose to wait and gather more information about him before making an assumption.

The return of Rem broke Vale's train of thought. She spoke up about a task given by the leader and it piqued Vale's interest. After sharing what they're supposed to do - a simple recon - Vale's enthusiasm died down a bit. he expected something more engaging for lack of a better word, but any mission is worth doing in his eyes. Standing up from his position, Vale stretched and got ready to leave. "Assuming the worst, there's a high chance that we'll be welcomed by Cyntras feasting on their corpses. It's night time and they've been gone for a long time after all. If that's the case, do we exterminate the Cyntras or leave the place immediately?" He asked, trying to determine the scope of the mission. It wouldn't be good to waste time and energy on anything but the mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back