• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Crownless shall again be king (Cloud x LyricalLyric)

"Worry about yourself." Ryder said, as he laid out rations and waterskins, eyeing the inventory he had left for the two of them. Sure he had suffered wounds of his own, but nothing too major and nothing he hadn't handled before. He glanced out the corner of his eye to the wrapping on her arm. She hadn't reopened the wound. Even now, after everything that happened she was still asking about others?

He grabbed an apple from the rations, one of the few refreshing foods among them, and extended one out towards Lenore. "Eat. You need your strength." She was like to refuse, so Ryder didn't give her a choice. He stood up himself and took a few steps towards an approaching Lenore. With one hand he grabbed her non-injured arm's hand, and with his other he placed the apple in it. He finally looked up into her pained eyes. He knew that look, he had seen it before.

Words would mean nothing, not that he was ever particualrily skilled with them. Instead, he looked deep into her violet eyes, still swollen from her tears. Without uttering a sound, he invited her to vent her frustrations, release her sadness, share her pain. After a moment, he finally asked an important question.

"What will you do now?" This wasn't a inquiry, it was a challenge. A challenge to see if she would succumb to despair or rise above from the ashes.

She looked down at the apple in her hand. Not wanting to eat. She knew his rations were spread thin as it was. Let alone with her and Maple. Hesitantly she took a bite, grimacing and forcing herself to swallow. Managing to eat most of it before offering the core to maple to polish off.

She liked the juice delicately from her lips as he asked the million dollar question. Her world spun again for a moment as the breath was snatched from her small body. Then the air around her fizzled and popped like a spark about to to ignite.

"I'm going back. I'm going to save my people. I'll become a sell sword like you and I'll bide my time until I can over throw the invaders. Until then. I'll be a thorn in their side and protect my people however I can" she reached for her horse.

"I'm sorry.. for causing you trouble. One day I will make sure I get the funds to you for your job." She couldn't look at him. Back turned, focusing on her horse. Mind racing, shoulders barely hiding the tremors of terror. But she couldn't expect Ryder to stay with her. She couldn't ask that of him. This wasn't his fight or his problem and she had no money to offer him.

Ryder smirked, looks like she still had some fight in her yet. His pay was the least of his concerns, an afterthought considering the events that transpired.

"Only you don't know the first thing of what it takes to make it in this field." His smirk faded as he closed the distance between him and Lenore. "This work isn't for the faint of heart. Each day you'll be putting your life on the line." He looked her over once more, the fire of determination flickering behind her eyes. There was no detering her. "You don't know the first thing about this trade."

He turned away, kneeling down as he gathered the laid out rations once more. "Your biggest concern currently is one I unfortunately also call my own; getting off this isle. If I know the empire- and trust me I do know the empire- the castle was only one part of their invasion. This entire isle is likely crawling with their legions." He looked up to Lenore once again. "So, I say it's in your best interest to stay with me until we've fled. Free of charge, consider it a courtesy from one professional to another." He smirked again, whisping a quick wink in her direction. Today the life of princess Lenore ended, and the one of warrior Lenore began.

"When we make it out of here, if you're still set on this path you've chosen, I'll introduce you to where I get my work. How's that sound?" Ryder offered earnestly, the most vocal he's been since meeting her. He extended a hand, inviting a her for a handshake. The promise of coin was no more, but he could not say what it was that compelled him to stay near her. Obligation? Responsibility? Pity? Only time would tell, but for once Ryder decided it was time to listen to his heart and not his coinpurse. Besides, after seeing her magical prowess, it may just be the key to getting off this isle unscathed.

"I.. I can't abandon them! They're my people. I can't forsake them and fail them.. i-im their.. queen.." the word stuck in her throat, their king had fallen. Her father. He had fallen.

She knew Ryder was right, Lenore knew nothing about the world, nothing about war. She would die the moment she tried without training and refining. But that also meant walking away from them.

She turned her gaze to the sell sword in front of her. Hesitantly she placed her hand in his "thank you.. " she pet maple gently for a moment before poking at her stitched arm.

"Well.. lead on I guess" walking alongside the man quietly. Keeping her eyes ahead of her and just focusing on placing one foot in front of the other. It would take time for everything to really sink in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back