• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Crownless shall again be king (Cloud x LyricalLyric)

Cloud_Fire

Hopeless Dreamer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Lenore stared up at the fluffy clouds overhead, arms stretched out carelessly on either side of her. Flat on her back, flaked out in the grass, dappled shadows playing a game of chase over her small form. Thrown from the trees over head. Undoubtedly her absence had been noticed by now, her maid would have entered her room only to find her bed sheets neatly pulled back to make the woman's job easier.

Today. Was her birthday, this also meant it was the day she lost her mother who she'd never had the delight of knowing. Today her father would be cooped up and distracted in his study, nursing his pain and barking at anyone who disturbed him.

Today her confidant and friend Malum retired, a new sell sword would be taking his place as her guard until her father decided on a more permanent replacement. She didn't fault or resent Malum, but the princess would be lying if his leave didn't sting. Malum had practically raised her, when he father was too busy running his kingdom, alas Malum was also soft on her. Something she imagined her father would not allow this new sell sword to be. They'd bickered about this the night before, Lenore still firm in her opinion that she didn't need a baby sitter and her father firm in his position that she did.

And now, she laid stretched out, hidden away in one of the sprawling gardens on the ground, tucked away behind hedges and shrubbery, shielded from the confines and stifling her life held her under. She didn't want to meet this sell sword. She didn't want a stranger following her around, she was not helpless or fragile. She was to be a ruler one day!

The young woman's brilliant lilac eyes flickered open, hair pooling around her like pools of darkness. A man stood over her, hair dark and shaggy, lips down turned in a frown. Sword clasped to his person.

The very tip of her tail twitch just slightly to convey her displeasure as the small woman peered up at him. She didn't know him. She didn't need to. His face spoke everything she needed to know, his feet firmly planted on the grass by her knee. It marked a moment neither of them were all too happy about, he was her new guard.

Scrunching up her nose slightly, she closed her eyes again and made a point of snuggling deeper into the cool grass under her. Today her kingdom teetered in limbo, while their king grieved. She had no duties, no courts to attend and she certainly had no interest in entertaining her guard.

She focused on the sound of birds twittering in the leaves overhead, the feeling of the hot and cold kisses she got as shadows flittered between sun rays that broke through the foliage. Today she wanted to be alone, unable to face her father and the pain she brought him. Not that he'd ever blamed her to her face. Finally she relented, opening her eyes and sitting up, flicking open the satchel at her side and wordlessly offering an apple to the man who had settled against the tree she laid under. Sinking her teeth into her own, the quiet was interesting, it didn't feel forced or uncomfortable. Swallowing and licking the juice from her lips carefully "I trust you were shown your quarters?" Hoping the maids and staff had intercepted this man before he'd found her.

Smirking around her apple "I'm impressed you found me. I'm sure my father will be delighted to hear that there may be hope for you yet."

Flattened blades of grass, still relatively fresh. Details looked over by most were easy to spot for a countrysider like Aurelion Ryder, a taller young man with shaggy dark brown hair, a scar running across his left cheek, clad in leather armour, a cloak and a steel longsword sheathed on his side. This wasn't the normal type of job the young sellsword, but coin is coin. What he didn't expect on the first day, was to already be searching for the wayward princess. He continued to follow a careless trail amongst the meadow. The spacing of were feet once stomped was irregular, clearly frolicking. The sellsword sighed at the thought of his skills being used for glorified babysitting but again he reminded himself, coin is coin.

The job was simple: serve as the bodyguard of the princess of Kida until the king could find permanent employment. While reluctant, what kind of sellsword refuses the riches offered by a king? As he walked, a feeling of calm nostalgia revitalised his spirit. These were the same trees from back home, the very same home he became a sellsword for. The trail went cold at a cluster of bushes, and without hesitation he crossed to the other side to find her: Princess Lenore of Kida.

She appeared to be daydreaming. 'What a great first impression', the Sellsword thought, 'giving me the run around on the very first day'. Any feelings other than the task at hand fled from his mind. He stood over the princess, scolding her with his eyes alone. He brought a clenched fist to his chin as he forced a cough to grab her attention.

She looked him over once, then snuggled back into the grass she laid in.

"Excuse me, your highness." He couldn't stop a faint hint of sarcasm from escaping his lips. "From today on it looks like I'll be your protector. You can just call me Ryder." Standard, formal, to-the-point. This is how Ryder opperated. Despite any personal feelings, he still had a job to do.

She offered him an apple. He ignored it. She began speaking. "I trust you were shown your quarters? I'm impressed you found me. I'm sure my father will be delighted to hear that there may be hope for you yet."

Was that supposed to be a joke? "I've hunted squealing boars harder to find than you. And yes, I did pay visit to the castle first. Imagine my and the guards' surprise to discover you'd given them the slip." Aurelion could already forsee the future headaches this arrangement will surely cause. "Come then, we should return so you can let me do my job."

Lenore scrunched her delicate nose, he took a tone with her? She liked him already. Offering him a deadly innocent smile "I do.. rather enjoy keeping my wards on their toes" she giggled, laughter melodic. It made her face ignite with light.

She made a point of settling into a book, ignoring her new guard. Knowing he couldn't lay one hand on her, or at least assumed he wouldn't dare. Had he, should would have gladly sunk her slightly fanged teeth into his hand.

She opened an eye slyly to watch him "You're not from around here.. your accent carries differently" she observed softly, her own accent rolled off her tongue delicately. Rolling her eyes and finally sitting up, standing and stretching her arms high above her head with a huff of content.

Even stood, she had to look up at Ryder to meet his eyes. A few leaves caught in her auburn hair like autumn had come early within her hair in greens and red.

Dusting herself down, Lenore strode forward "come along little Knight" she giggled cheekily. He wanted to give her titles, she could give him sarcastic ones in return. She lightly leapt over the hedge she'd been hiding behind. The young woman was not dressed how one would typically imagine a princess, dressed in black riding pants, mid shin length boots, and a white long sleeve cotton shirt rolled to her elbows. Completed with a sunset orange scarf woven around ber neck. And a belt around her waist.

She eyed his sword, boldly circling him as he moved to follow her "nice steel!" Flashing a smile that would show the glint of fangs, then she was off again, a bounce in her step, tail swishing around her. Ryder would soon know why it took a sell sword from out of town to mind the princess. Despite being loved by her people, few were ready to intercept the head strong woman's path. Fearing her title and fearing offending her. Not that they needed to, her title didn't much matter to Lenore. She wasn't one to go running to her father. She leapt up and balanced precariously on a small stone wall. Arms spread out as she walked, clearly taking her sweet time to return to the castle.

Finally the two returned, a maid scorning the princess for her tattered appearance as she removed leaves from her hair. "I'm fine Maria" Lenore assured, shaking the woman off.

Continuing on her war path to the library within the castle, still ignoring Ryder. Knowing he'd be shadowing her steps whether he liked it or not. She'd wear him down, she knew he was here for the gold and only the gold and such a reason was not one she was interested in keeping the company of. Why would she want the company of someone who had to be bought?

Huffing to herself in annoyance as she stood on her tiptoes, trying in vain to reach a book just out of reach that had caught her eye.

Great. A troublemaker. His internalized thoughts fought for the freedom to escape his lips. He observed with impatience as she settled into a book and blantantly ignored him. This is why he worked solo. He took a deep breath as he reminded himself why he was here. Deep down, he realized she probably didn't want him around just as much as he didn't want to be around her. She was testing him. Seeing what he'd do under pressure, and this was a game he could play.

Eventually, she broke the silence with a comment about his accent.

"How very astute of you." Ryder rolled his eyes. Though he knew his tongue differed to that of the locale, never had someone called attention to it. Admitedly, this did draw Ryder's attention to her accent, and even he couldn't deny there was a nice song to it. And then she stood up. Somehow, she looked shorter than she did laying down, and he finally got a proper look at her. For a princess, she didn't seem very regal. Ryder wouldn't complain, for the one thing worse than chaperoning a princess is trying to accomodate such a posh lifestyle. At the very least, this was a point in her favour.

And then she was off, calling after him with a pet name. "You are not going to call me that." He rebuted firmly as he vaulted the wall with her. Titles and nobility meant nothing to Ryder, and he be damned before he let one call him and command him however they please. She seemed to be studying him, not that he was bothered.

She commented: "Nice steel!"

"Thanks." Though he still had yet to smile, finally there was something they could agree on. He placed a hand on the pommel of the blade as he strode alongside Lenore towards the castle, his calm and collected strut contrasted by her childish wobbling on the stone wall.

Lenore burshed off what seemed to be one of the castle maids. Ryder trailed behind as he offered the maid an understanding shrug in passing.

As Ryder followed Lenore, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander the grand interior of the castle. Though it was not his first time being inside one, the small villageman would never get used to something as lavish as this. Though it certainly inspired awe, he couldn't help but think of it as a waste. Why would anyone ever need something so big?

As his attention returned to Lenore, he watched as she struggled to reach a book on a high shelf. He remained uninvolved but amused before eventually stepping forward without a word. He grabbed the book, read the title. He gave an approving "hm" upon seeing the contents of the book, advanced materials he wouldn't even begin to try to understand. Handing the book to Lenore, he resigned to leaning against one of the libraries giant bookshelves.

"Are you always like this?" He was half asking, half accusing.

By the time he'd walked over the stubborn woman had started trying to tussle a heavy chair towards the shelf that her quarry perched on. Blinking in surprise at the book she almost bumped her head into. So engrossed in the war she'd waged with the heavy wooden chair.

Offering him an award winning smile as she took the book from him "what? A delight to be around? Of course!" She tutted playfully. Before raising an eyebrow at him, gesturing to the chair "you could have stepped in before I lugged this thing half way across the room!" Huffing as she folded her arms, opting to settle in the seat she'd fought so hard to wrestle. It would be her throne for the moment so not all was lost.

Lenore cradled the spine gently between her fingertips as she pulled open the book. Flicking through it, clearly looking for something in particular before huffing and shaking her head. Clearly whatever she was looking for was not hidden within the book written in elvish.

She moved on, practically gliding across the room. Arms filled with books as she plucked and poked them from shelves. Bringing them to a large table in the centre of the room and clicking her fingers with a twist of her slender wrist clockwise. The wick bursting to life on the candle that resided on the table in front of her. Holding a page up against the flame as she huffed in delight at the echo of hidden text that shone through.

Siezing a quill and note book as she jotted down what was revealed before pouring over passages in the other books she'd found. Finally she looked up at Ryder "Tuirocia Isles, right? I recognise the sigil, your pronunciation gave it away too" she mused.

Lenore admittedly was intrigued by him, perhaps she could irritate him by pressing on with an onslaught of questions. He certainly did not seem to be a man who enjoyed being pestered. Lucky for her, unlucky for him. She could be rather good at pestering.

"How long have you been a sell sword for? What's the toughest fight you've had? Did you make your sword?" Let the battle begin. Of course, he could just ignore her, his silence would only taste sweeter. It meant she was getting under his skin.

"Hm." He grunted as he bounded off the shelf he was leaning on, leaving Lenore and her chair to their devices as her voice echoes through the room giving him tongue and cheek. With a eye roll hidden by a timely turn, he began wandering the rows of books, never could he have dreamed of seeing so many in one place. Though, not many were of interest to the young sell sword. Books of fiction, stories about heroes, those were the books in his interest. He ran a hand along the shelf, lost in thought.

He looked back over her shoulder to see Lenore give up on the book she was reading and take off for others. She grabbed multiple books with great efficiency, clearly no stranger to these tomes. What caught Ryder's attention, was Lenore's use of magic to light the candle. There was more to this princess than he first thought. Reaching under her cloak with a single hand, he undid the clasp on a pouch on his belt to reveal a small leather journal, which he held low as to not draw attention to it. He flipped through the pages almost mechanically, stopping at the first blank page. With a small quill, he began hastily scribbling down notes from the day so far.

His concentration didn't break even when Lenore began questioning his home.

"Mm-hm." He grunted as a quick affirmation, not wishing to particularily share all of his past with her, especially not that of his occupied homeland. He glanced at the brooch clasping his cloak, a memory of home of the silver sigil depicting a phoenix perched on a cresent moon. Lenore was well studied, at the very least.

She seemed keen on pestering him. Though he could handle it for now, he wondered how long he could keep this up. One question of her sin particular stood out to him. "What's the toughest fight you've had." With the one hand holding his journal, he slammed it closed and slid it back into his pouch. He didn't look at Lenore, lost in memory of the day he lost his most important fight. Subconciously, his hand ran over the scar on his cheek.

"You don't get out much, do you?" He turned to Lenore, deflecting her questions with one of his own. He began walking back over to Lenore slowly, his boots echoing the halls with each footstep.

As he approached she stood, she'd hit a nerve. A nerve she hadnt meant to press, she saw the way it had twinged in his cheek and locked his jaw.

"I dont" she admitted, regret heavy in her tone. Whether it was for her lifestyle or for the hot poker she'd accidentally prodded too deep. Her face didn't reveal, stepping away from him and crouching down in the corner of the library. Digging around in the bottom shelf by the large windows where a warm square of sun hit the floor.

Slowly she drew a book, warn and read many times. Clearly well loved by less experienced hands. She returned to him, offering out her peace and sign of truce. She'd noticed the sort of books that had grabbed his attention, spines that promised adventure and tales of the ages only to disappoint as he realised they were must misleading attention grabbing titles. He was right. She didn't get out much. This library was how she tasted and glimpsed the world.

The book she'd gently eased into his gloved hands was a tale of knights, princesses, dragons and epic adventures fit for ballads. "I used to read this one all the time as a child. It's simple in its wording. But it's story is timeless" then she withdrew from him. She'd granted him her apology in more than words, leaving him the power to accept it as he saw fit.

She moved to push open the window, sharp ears catching something that had spurred her feet forward. Leaning out and gasping in delight as in the next breath of air, she'd swung herself over the threshold of the sill and vanished from sight.

Easily swinging herself down to delicately land on a tree branch that reached out a short distance away. Straightening with easy familiarity and now moving across the branch with cat like grace once she'd straightened.

The girl fearlessly dropped, catching the branch and swinging herself down. Boots landing in a crouch with a soft thud, then she was off again. Out of sight in moments, she moved fast.

Lenore snatched up a sword as she reached the training courtyard around the corner, just out of sight of the window and the library. She hadn't gone far. The sounds of steel against steel had lured her.

"Ah princess! Here for our rematch?" One of the guards teased in amusement as the headstrong woman took up a blade. Stepping up to her with his own. The two began to spar, her form was far from perfect. Foot work easily broken, blows easily over powered but still Lenore would simply correct her stance and step forward to continue the drills. The guard tried to help, but it was clear neither of them were on the same page, they just didn't have the synergy that would form results faster.

Falling to the floor with a yelp and then a fit of giggles, not seeming to mind at all as she stared up at the guard that she sat at the feet of. "That was cheating!" Lenore laughed and huffed, crossing her arms with a mock pout before accepting his hand to help her up. The two of them laughing as be shook his head. The others in the training ground hardly batted an eye, it seemed the princess being throw in the dust of the training grounds was not an uncommon occurrence.

The feeling of cold steel and warm blood washed over his cheek, feeling as fresh as the day he earned this mark of shame. Bitter memories lingered on his mind. His inner lamenting was brought to an abrupt end when a gift in story-form was thrust upon him by Lenore.

"What's this?" He asked as the book was practicllally forced into his hands. Grasping it by the spine, he turned the cover over to read it. What some could mistake for a chuckle escaped Ryder's throat, though he would merely call kt a grunt. For whatever reason, she was being nice now. This young woman was truly an enigma.

Just as suddenly as the tome was forced upon him, Lenore was out the window. Without a second spared, Ryder acted. Now at full alert, he rushed to the window, slamming his hands on the sill as he leaned out, nearly falling himself as he surveyed. She was safe, clearly no stranger to falling witb style.

A sigh of relief krept it's way into one of frustration. He glanced around the library before pocketing the book Lenore had given him, and made for the entrance in hastened stride.

He passed the maid once again, giving her the same shrug he had given her earlier.

Ryder approached the outside of the window Lenore had lept from, and once again Ryder found himself tracking the princess once more. The thought of his talents being used for the likes of this twice in the same day both disheartened and amused him.

Ryder rounded the corner to find she hadn't gone far at all, and had found the scene she had placed herself in; a spar with a guardsman, a spar she was clearly not winning. Though she lacked talent with the blade, her resilience was commendable. Ryder leaned against the fence of the sparring ground as he came to realize the normality of a situation like this at the castle. He simply observed silently, guaging Lenore's skill.

Eventually the spar came to an end, with Lenore's rear planted on the sandy ground. She cried out jokingly about cheating, and Ryder made his pressence known.

"All's fair in combat, your worship." Ryder lept the fence and strode into the sparring arena, one hand on the scabbord on his hip. Finally, this side of the princess was one he understood. "What matters is who wins." He nodded to the guard to step aside.

"You're dropping your elbows, it leaves your stance open and vulnerable." A flash of elven steel glimmered in the sunlight as Ryder revealed his blade. It had a slight curvature to it, vertically symettrical. Writing was insribed on the base of the blade, just above the hilt. If he could not come to understand who Lenore is through words, combat would have to suffice. He held his blade up towards Lenore. "Now, try again."

The guard stepped back with a show of respect for the Princess's personal guard making his presence known. Despite being a guest in the castle, he still held a relatively higher rank and immediate say over the happenings of the small devil-kin woman he was paid to protect.

"Ah! You made it" she grinned up at him, baring her fangs playfully, tail lashing around her. Her eyes widening in a mix of awe, surprise and respect as he drew his blade. It was beautiful, a work of art in comparison to the rough, poorly balanced training sword she held.

Thinking his words over for a moment as she narrowed her eyes, a determined mask falling over her face as she steadied her breathing. Lowering her stance and raising her elbows. As she sprung forward, her body and eyes giving away all of her moves moments before she made them the man was able to easily side step or redirect her blows, sending her stumbling away.

But Lenore was back at it moments later, relentless. Any advice he offered she tried to heed in her next attacks or parrys. She learned fast, a huge smile on her face, eyes narrowed deviously as they found themselves with their blades locked against each other. Letting out a playful growl, her arms straining. She'd never win a direct block like this. His strength would always outweigh her own, the young woman needed to be faster, to use her momentum and redirect her opponent's momentum against them. But all in good time.

She stumbled back as he broke her stance, falling on her backside once again as she laughed and panted lightly. Grinning wildly up at him, hair stuck to her forehead and falling in her eyes. "You watch it. Soon the apprentice will surpass the master!" She taunted playfully.

Carefully getting to her feet and lazily slinging her sword over her shoulder. "Your skills with the sword are incredible!" The woman praised, still with a brilliant smile on her face. It was easy to see how the kingdom had fallen in love with their princess, despite her headstrong nature.

Last edited:
Her attacks were telegraphed, her movements predictable. He side-stepped to avoid her first swing.

"Predictable. Don't lead your attacks so much."

A parry to the left.

"Your footing's off."

A counter, forcing her to block.

"Elbows again."

Is she, having fun? He stiffled an approving grunt. He kept his cool during the exchange, spouting corrections naturally without thought. His mind was focused elsewhere, how would she handle this confrontation? For a moment, Ryder saw himself as a young boy again, being trained by the militia of Wimborne. Crossing blades was never to be taken lightly, yet here this devil-kin was smiling and relishing. Surely, she knew little of true combat, life or death being the difference of only one mistake. He took note as well she didn't use the magic he had seen earlier. Was it pride? Honour?

This went on. The one sided spar came to an anticlimatic finish when Ryder broke her stance, knocking her down to the ground. He flourished his blade before sheathing it at the hip beneath his cloak, no change in his demeanor as he remained calm and collected. Though she lacked the finesse, she made up for tenfold in spirit. With only a few exchange of blows, Ryder learned more about her in under a minute than he had the entire day thus far. She jested about the apprentice surpassing the master.

"So I'm your master now, eh?" Ryder began walking towards her. "Sorry, I'm no teacher, keep looking." Despite the advice he gave in swordplay, he saw it as a one-time thing, a trial, a conversation. If she was looking for a mentor in him, she'd be surely disappointed.

"Save your flattery," he retorted with a hiss to her praise, "I was hired for a reason." Despite his cold words, he offered a hand to help her up. A swordsman honour was not idly forgotten.

"What in the hell is going on here!?" A voice boomed, the sound of armor clattering as the guards flew into a kneel. Ryder sighed a deep sigh, he knew that voice, the voice of his employer, the voice of the king.

"You hired me to protect your daughter," Ryder explained with a tone as if his statement was obvious, not a ounce of reverence for the royal leader, "what better way to protect than to show her how to protect herself?"

Her cheeks lit up at him referring himself as her master, she'd certainly walked straight into that one she supposed. Fit of giggles as he helped her up. He said be wouldn't train her, he was sorely mistaken. She wasn't asking. She was informing. She'd had a taste of training under him, ever an eager and curious student. She wanted to know more, to learn more.

Then her father's voice boomed, she jumped slightly. She'd been avoiding him all day, unable to meet his eyes. The day of her birth was the day he lost his soul mate. It was clear the way the usually calm headed man yelled, his mind was not at its strongest or refined today.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped defensively in front of her guard. Hardly registering that she had moved to shield him from her father's wrath. As the man strode towards them, Maria a few steps behind him.

"Lenore-"

She cut him off, no one could speak to the king like the princess could. "No. He is right. If I am to be a worthy ruler. I must learn to defend myself. A bit of dirt being the demise of a future queen would hardly qualify as a worthy ruler for our people."

He seemed taken aback by his daughter, it was not uncommon for the two to argue often about her insistence to be anything but a refined woman. The other day it was about her refusal to court a man. The other week it was about Malum retiring. Yes. Lenore always had something to voice her displeasure about.

The defeated man looked like he could hardly muster the strength to argue with a woman who stared at him like the ghost of his wife. Slowly Lenore stepped forward, resting a hand on her father's arm "I just want to follow in your mighty footsteps, come. Let us have dinner together" she smiled kindly to her father, pressing a kiss to his cheek as he raised a weary hand to ruffle her hair lightly. He gave a resigned sigh, walking arm in arm with his daughter, at least she wasn't complaining in his ear any more about the new sell sword he supposed.

Casting one more wary look at her guard, he hadn't hurt her. He hadn't mocked or belittled her and he was able to keep up with her. He supposed beggars couldn't be choosers when it came to someone to mind Lenore.

The two continued together, settling in the great dining hall as maids and servers brought out various meals. Lenore and her father talked and laughed amongst themselves, the woman offering a seat to her guard. Knowing he likely wouldn't dare to take it and sit with royals.

"You're so much like your mother, girl" he laughed lightly.

"Tell me about her won't you?" Lenore asked timidly. Seeing the man let out a world weary sigh.
"Her favourite food was strawberries. And when she danced, the floor was set ablaze by her. And her laugh, it was infectious.."

Lenore placed a hand on his, as the two fell into quiet mutual silence as they continued to eat. "Thank you for joining me."
"I didn't want to burden you. I know how hard today is" Lenore returned.
"Child. It's your birthday, of course i want to spend it with you"
Lenore absently pulled at her scarf, it had been her mother's.
"Forgive me."

The night wound down into a quiet stupor, Lenore stifling a yawn as she bid her father good night and approached Ryder "You didn't have to stay. I understand you wanting to do your own thing" she assured softly.

"Anyway. I'm going to retire to my chambers. Good night, Ryder. Enjoy the book." With that she turned and walked away with her maid. Leaving the kind sat at the table.

"Ryder.. forgive my anger earlier. I appreciate you for being patient with her. I know she's.. spirited. But she's all I have."

Last edited:
The dining hall's echoes accented the grand and large room, perpetuating the notion that something-or someone-was missing. The king and his daughter sat at the large dining table while Ryder found himself a comfortable piece of wall to lean cross-armed against, silently observing. Perhaps it was instinct, not wishing to turn his back to any one part of his surroundings. Perhaps it was how out of place he felt in this grand castle. Or perhaps, it was the tender relation between a father and daughter that he dared not intrude on.

Though Ryder's ears were not privy to eavsdropping, he could not help but overhear the sorrowful love in which the king refered to his wife. A moment of vulnerablility between the two seemed to carry a weight across the candlelit room and find it's way through Ryder's colder exterior. Resonance. That was what he felt. The hidden pain in the king's voice was all too clear to the sell sword. He looked to the floor, lost in his own mind. Love. Pain always seemed to be a product of love.

After the night quieted, Lenore carried off to her quarters. Even the most energetic of souls must sometime rest. Lenore spoke to him as she prepared to leave.

"It's all part of the job." He reiterated to Lenore. And with that, she was off. Ryder sighed, leaning his head back against the wall, basking in the reprieve the night brought after such a busy day.

"Ryder.." The king spoke softly, "forgive my anger earlier. I appreciate you being patient with her. I know she's.. spirited. But she's all I have."

Ryder stood upright, squaring his shoulders to face the king directly. "I think nothing of it. Your love for your daughter, it's heartening."

The king chuckled. "My my, is there more to this sell sword than the seeking of coin?"

Ryder let a single chuckle escape his lips. "Perhaps. Though if you think I'm about to start sharing stories and feelings with you, my rate's doubling."

"Heh, you drive a hard bargain." The king's delighted face faded to one of melancholy. "May I ask at least one question, free of charge?"

"You may."

"Have you experienced loss?"

"I have."

"Then you understand-"

"I do."

"Very well. Thank you. I won't keep you any longer. Pray, take comfort in your chambers. The sheets are made of the finest elven silk!" The king gestured towards the door.

"I'll take what comfort I can find in your cushy palace." Ryder snickered, the thought of sleeping in such a cushioned bed was so foreign to him that he felt uneasy by it. "And sir? Call me Aurelion."

The king smiles. "Very well, good night Aurelion."

Ryder found his chambers. A large room, even for that of a guest. It felt unsettling, rooms so grand were not his custom. He removed his cloak and leather padding, and laid his sheathed sword against the wall. He ran his fingers through the sickeningly soft mattress as if it were lush blades of grass. Forget it, he ironically wouldn't find comfort in something too comfortable such as this. Next to his propped up sword, he look a seat on the floor with his back to the stone wall. One foot still planted on the floor, he used his knee as a rest for his arm. A much more familiar feeling. He hung his head, and finally got a few winks of sleep.

As Ryder stirred he'd find himself nose to nose with an all too familiar young woman who was lazily sprawled over the wide stone window sill of his room.

"Was the bed not to your taste? I can bring it up to someone?" How the little princess got in was anyone's guess. Likely through the window she now lounged on. It seemed there were few places the skilled and fiery young woman couldn't get into.

She looked around the room with a soft sigh, memories of Malum who had lived in these quarters previously. Shaking off her thoughts as she grinned and sat up, lightly stepping down from the low windowsill. Taking in the man now she could actually see him, admittedly he was very easy on the eyes. Far more her type than any snooty royal, he matched the way she envisioned all the heroes and knights in her adventure books. Those dashing and brave adventurers that made her swoon.

Blushing slightly and looking away as she realised she'd been staring. "Meet me by the stables!" Lenore called over her shoulder, bounding out of his room. It seemed she rarely had a walking speed or spared a thought beyond the first bold one that struck her.

Lenore was gone, dancing past the kitchens with a giggle and pinching some tarts off the cooling rack fresh out of the oven along with some pastries. Tucking the delicacies into a basket as she twirled around the chefs with a giggle. As always her staff didn't seem to mind, shaking their heads as their Princess's laughter filling the wing of the castle.

Then she was off, striding down the courtyard to the royal stables as she produced an apple from the basket. "Good morning sweet Maple" she cooed, offering the fruit out to the beautiful dappled mare. She seemed in high spirits after her conversation with her father, happy with the new footing they stood on.

"Was the bed not to your taste? I can bring it up to someone?" A defensive instinct sharped to a point grabbed the sword to the side upon realizing another pressence in the room. It was just Lenore. His grip on the hilt loosened. She looked so peaceful on the window sill before him, the glow of the morning sun basking from behind her. Was she... blushing?

"Do royals know nothing of privacy?" A rhetorical question, oozing in sarcasm. Before he could say anything else, Lenore was off without so much as a "good morning" calling out a command to meet by the stables. With a deep sigh to prepare himself for what was sure to be an even busier day, Ryder re-equiped himself as he headed out to do exactly as she said; not that he really had a choice for wherever she went, he was oligated to follow.

A disgruntled Ryder made his way through the halls at a calm pace. He glanced around, taking in the chaos Lenore brought to this castle presumaly every morning. Gathering directions fomr the servants of the palace, he quickly caught up to Lenore, already feeding a dappled steed an apple. The hour was still early.

"And I thought I was an early riser..." His steps slowly came to a halt as he reacher her and the mare, lazily draping his hand over the pommel of his hip-bound blade. "Is this your horse?" As if on queue, the horse turned it's head away from Ryder. Animals never were his friend. "Yeah... the feeling's mutual." He turned to Lenore. "What was so urgent you had to invade my quarters to invite me to?"

"Oh Maple, you grump. He's nice, I promise. He taught me so much on fighting yesterday and he's an amazing tracker and he likes books" she rambled to the mare, cooing as she continued to stroke her velvety nose.

"Oh right, here, breakfast!" She offered the basket of warm, sweet smelling pastries and Berry filled tarts for him to help himself to.

She shrugged lightly "no urgency, just got bored" Lenore giggled, opening the table door and letting the mare trott out "I promised Maple I'd let her out for a roll out in the fields today" she explained as she didn't bother to place any tack on the mare, merely clicking her tongue, the small mare more than happy to trott after her mistress.

The two walked down the cobble stoned path, beyond the tree line and out into the fields Lenore had been laying in the day before. Playfully petting the mare in encouragement as tbe animal bolted forward with a whinny of delight. Surging out into the grass, unburdened by a rider or any form of gear. Able to floric and trott and roll in the dirt.

Lenore settled under the tree he'd found her under the day before. Sinking her teeth into one of the tarts with a mumble of delight. Loving the still warm, sweet pastry. Watching her beloved companion enjoying just being an animal rather than a possession. It likely reflected why they carried the bond they did, they held high respect and mutual understanding for each other.

"Not a fan of horses?" She poked his boot childishly from where he stood alongside her. The pair stayed in the field for a time, "teach me more on fighting! What about hand to hand?" She leapt to her feet, dancing from foot to foot playfully with fist raised. Still snickering softly on small bubbles of laughter, seeming never short of energy.

"Just... bored?" Ryder repeated, moreso to confirm he heard it correctly. Would this be his day-to-day for the foreseeable future? Being the plaything of some princess? Such thoughts weren't given the chance to overstay their welcome as a basket of freshly baked goods. One such as Ryder can only play it calm, cool and collected for so long, especially when freshly baked sweets early in the morning are offered. Without a second thought, he indulged. Ryder wasted no time in bringing one of the berry-filled tarts to his mouth and began eating it rather quickly. His weakness.

He walked by Lenore's side as she lead him and the steed into the field. Maple seemed really well behaved. Though he was no horse master, he could recognize the work of a skilled tamer when he saw one. Not before long, they had found themselves back where they first met. An unburdened Maple took off into the field, frolicing freely, a sight that resonated within the freedom-longing homesick sell sword.

Ryder glanced over to Lenore, fangs deep into a pastry as she stared out at her mare. She wasn't too bad after all. Energetic and unpredictable, but a sweet core. She wasn't a bad person. Perhaps the days to come wouldn't be so agonizing after all. She looked back up at Ryder, who imediately broke eye contact. "Not a fan of horses?"

"Moreso they're not a fan of me..." Ryder grumbled. And once again, thanks in part to the most hyperactive person he had ever met, the conversation swung to a full 180 once again, demanding he teach her hand to hand.

At first he snickered, not taking her seriously. "No. I thought I'd told you I'm no teacher. Besides, I'd just end up hurting you." It wasn't a boast, it was a warning. He crossed his arms as he looked back out over the field. But a thought in the back of his mind tugged at him. In the corner of his eye was Lenore, bouncing in a fighting-ready stance. She carried the same energy as the children of Wimborne, only she was obviously not a child deep down. Amusing, but cute. He sighed, not believing he was actually about to say this-

"Alright, c'mon then." Ryder turned to square off with Lenore, beckoning her with a lazy hand as he lowered his stance. "Try and hit me."

Perhaps he was falling under her spell, understanding just how she coexisted with all in her kingdom. Swiping away crumbs with a delicate lick of her tongue, looking indignant at his claim that he would hurt her.

"Nuh uh! No way. I'm tougher than a look" he may not have been boasting. But she certainly was. Chin proudly raised, tail lashing around her.

She nodded, face falling into something slightly more serious as she stepped into her punch. Thumb neatly tucked on the outside of her fingers, safely between the peaks of her knuckles.

She kept her wrist straight, her free hand tucked in close to her body. The young woman had instincts, admittedly fast and balanced on her feet. But her life betrayed her, she'd never known danger, never known the need to defend herself. It was a blessing, one she didn't mean to take for granted. Lenore just knew no better.

Letting out a squeak of surprise as he broke her defences, stepping into her hit. She reacted, managing to duck under his arm. Only to trip and stumble as he used his legs to knock hers out from under her. Breath knocked out of her small body for a moment as she fell ungracefully to the floor, then she was on her feet once again. The same fire she'd carried when they had sparred yesterday as she readied herself again and went on the offensive once again, staying in close quarters and trying to twist her body into her hits to grant them more power while keeping her stance low and close to protect any retaliation.

Just as he recalled from yesterday, she had never seen real combat and it showed. Her movements were strange. Clearly no one had ever taught her proper hand-to-hand. Sure, the guards had shown her the basics of swordplay, but the way she attacked unarmed was as if she read about how to punch without getting any actual practice- The library. Right.

Pride comes before the fall. Literally. Lenore threw weight into her punch, but too much as Ryder recognized the flaw in her attack. He pushed her fist aside, causing her to stumble passed him. She ducked under his arm, but it was too late. A single outstreched foot was all it took to send her tumbling down behind him. Non-chalantly he turned to debrief her.

"You stepped in way too much." He slowly mimicked the action she just performed, pausing himself mid-swing. His voice was monotone, as if he was indifferent and just repeating word for word what he was once taught. "Your center of balance shifted, that's why you couldn't recover." He stood back up, impressed already by Lenore assuming a pouncing stance once more. "Good, keep your body lower, like that." He tilted his head, briefly pursed his bottom lip and nodded ever-so slightly. Maintaining a casual stance he invited Lenore to attack once more.

"Think as if you want to kill me or you won't even come close. Again." This time, he was ready to counter. When she came in close, he'd be ready to grapple, pin and neutralize. If she wanted to be taught so badly, this would be a lesson in truly showing her where her weaknesses lied so that she may begin to correct them herself.

His assumption was correct, everything Lenore knew was from books. Books had raised, fed and nurtured her. Leaving her mind hungry and insatiable. Leaving her bold, naïve and unapologetic. Just as a book was. Bearing her soul like an open page, her heart on the second joining. She heeded his words and lessons, there was correction, a conscious effort in every new attack.

Until he grappled her, causing her to cry out in surprise. His arms snaking around her, bringing her body to his. Her feet leaving to floor as her back greeted the grass under them instead. Ryder over her, pinning her. Raven hair spilling around her, falling in her face as she panted softly from the exhersion. Tongue tied for the first time since they'd met. He'd truly caught her unaware.

Then, she smiled. Her bright eyes meeting his, her breaths soft and warm and catching the corners of his clothing. She gave a breathless laugh, her cheeks tickled pink, twigs and leaves strewn in her hair. "I don't think I could ever picture killing anyone.. I'm sorry.." Little Lenore had no malice in her heart. Aside the guilt and contempt she held deep inside herself for being the reason her father was without his queen. But not a soul had ever been told this such burden that shadowed her heart. Hidden under layers and layers of smiles and kindness. She felt his weight ease off of her, able to sit up as she started trying to fish leaf litter from her hair, only now just realising her loyal horse was standing over them. Breathing down her guard "ad otium(At ease), Maple" Lenore laughed as the horse pushed her nose into the woman's face with a huff.

"I am safe. It takes far more than that to hurt a devil-kin" shooting a playful growl with fangs bared playfully at Ryder around her horse's mane. Once again, Lenore had not used magic. Whether she didn't know how to or whether there was a different reason entirely, she provided no tell.

As naturally as he breathed, Ryder once again re-directed Lenore's attack, this time grrabbing her by the wrists and pinning her to the soft grass below them. His sky blue eyes stared into her violet ones, awaiting a quip that would never come. Had she truly nothing to say now? He was now seeing the princess in a different light, when all her defences had been breeched, it would be revealed to be hiding a great sadness. His narrowed eyes darted from her right eye, to her left, analyzing even the faintest trace of body language. She claims she could never kill, and she means it.

Despite this, she smiled still. A smile unlike any he had seen painted on her until now. While her usual demeanor would have you believe she was happy, loud and outgoing, this one seemed to be a smile from deeper within her. Hiding behind layers, she was not so unlike him. Her hair strewn outwards across the earth, her cheeks splashed pink, causing a surge of flutters through Ryder's body. An unfamiliar feeling, and one he did not like. In realization, Ryder let go and began to rise back to his feet.

To their side was Maple, clearly coming to the aid of her master. Ryder stepped backwards a few feet, giving some distance between himself and the horse-master Princess. This certainly wouldn't help his popularity with the animal. Lenore whispered in Elvish to calm the steed, a language Ryder fairly understood but was by no means conversational.

"Well, I think that concludes your lesson." Ryder gave a mocking bow. "Happy?"

"Very" Lenore grinned, kissing Maple's long nose. She continued to fuss over the animal until a scream alerted her, blinking and leaping for the animal as she climbed onto the steed. Not sparing another glance at Ryder as the princess was off, carried by the swift hooves of her horse. No saddle needed as she lightly held her mane and called commands in elvish that the horse followed to the letter. Leaping over the hedge.

Her heart stopped as she came across the body of a slain guard a small ways down the path. Sliding off of her horse and running to the man, he was barely holding to his last breaths. The princess gathered herself over him "w-what happened??" She cried in anguish. Hearing the steps of Ryder running after her.

"Th-the kingdom. It's under attack" the man managed to cough. His lips coated in deep crimson. As Lenore felt tears spring to her eyes. Looking up at Ryder who was closing in fast. She shot him a look, a look that she knew he would feel in the sinking of his stomach.

Then she was on her feet. Running for Maple, leaving him in the dust of hooves. Urging her companion forward towards her crumbling kingdom.

Lenore drew maple to a halt at the scenes that assaulted her vision. Blood and screams thick in the air as she came across more bloodied bodies by the stables. Sliding off of maple and whispering for her to hide in the forest with the promise she'd find her. Lenore was on foot again, one thought on her mind. Her father. Still she refused to let her guard close the gap between them, as the sounds of screaming and fighting drew closer, she took up a sword form one of the fallen.

Striding forward, as she rounded a corner she felt the bite of steel. Staring up at a man she didn't recognise, she raised her sword, knocking his away. Crying out as he seized her shoulder, struggling against him.

The painstakingly familiar scream echoes memories through Ryder's head. He turned to the direction of the scream, hand gripped to the hilt of his concealed blade. Before he could do anything else, Lenore was already off atop Maple racing towards the castle. Just great, the one he was hired to protect was now running off into unmistakable danger. Without a second thought, Ryder took off running after them, maintaining a steady pace, his breathing completing under control.

As caught up just as Lenore took off again after seeing a wounded guardsman. "Lenore! Wait!" his shouts were met only with the piercing gaze shot back his way by her. It was a look he knew all too well, the look he himself once bore when his village was invaded. He looked to the dying guard on the ground, now still reaching for his sword. Even into death do soldiers carry honour, and though Ryder was no soldier, he understood the pride of a warrior all too well. Ryder knelt down, placing the guard's sword into the guard's outstretched palm. The guard cluthed the hilt, and recoiled his hand to hold the sword flat against his chest. He had not the strength to speak, but mouthed the words 'thank you'.

"Rest easy," Ryder said strongly, "for you have done your duty." And with that, the sellsword got up once more to make for the castle where Lenore was surely headed.

Rushing inside, he came across a dire sight. The sting of steel only recently tainting Lenore's flesh, and the princess struggling to hold her ground against the aggressor. Without a moment's hesitation, Ryder charged in drawing his blade. He delivered three consecutive strikes, the first to guage the intruder's response, the second the shatter his defences, and the third to strike him down. And with the vertical slash of his blade the intruder fell. A flash of an insignia on the intruder's person sparked an anger in Ryder's eye: The very same empire that overtook his home isles. This kingdom was much larger than his home nation, just how much had their strength grown?

Ryder held his blade down at his side as he turned to Lenore. "Are you alright?" He glanced over her wound. It looked deep, but not dire. Certainly it would need to be stitched, but for now there was no time: triage would have to do. Ryder fished a rolled bandage from one of his pouches, not unfamiliar to the ways of first aid though normally he was preforming it on himself. He unwrapped the bandage and motioned for Lenore to give him her arm so he could make a quick, temporary fix.

"I know how you must feel, but rushing in without a plan will get you killed." He spoke softly, but sternly, as if scolding a child. "We have to leave. This battle is one you can't win."

Lenore strained against him like a rabid animal, one thought on her mind as she swatted and clawed at Ryder, white shirt blooming crimson under the gash across her upper arm.

"N-no. My father!" She cried, shoving him hard in the chest as she pulled free and continued to run. Her mind was not her own. Her world tumbled around her in screams of agony and horror. Maids wept, men roared, fires blazed.

Still Lenore ran, not even feeling the sting of her wound yet. Adrenaline lending her wings as she pushed forward, ducking under the arm of another enemy, sliding through the legs of the next. She was on her feet again, pushing through the doors of her father's study.

There. Her heart stopped. Her soul left her body. Eyes finding the crumpled form of her father, a wicked looking man, adorned in armour stood over him, blade slick with blood.

"NO" Lenore screamed, the very air around her seeming to stand on end like hair on frighted skin. Throwing her hand forward as flames erupted, rushing forward and sending the unsuspecting invader stumbling back from the slain man at his feet. Lenore pushed forward, tears streaming down her face as another guttural scream ripped from her lips.

Rounding on the man as he raised his sword, Lenore lunged forward, fire raging and wrapping around her like a serpent as she met the man with her own blade. Fire licking and lancing along the blades and surging down to engulf him as he roared in agony, fist drawn across her cheek making her see stars and fall to her knees.

She brought her hand up, twisting her fingers as the fire wove tighter. Seeping through the man's metal and flesh. Swallowing his screams as the world continued to spin for the devil kin. She slumped, over her father's body as though trying to shield him from any further harm coming to him. Sobbing into his chest as she clung to his shirt.

"D-dont go.. d-dont leave me.. please.. I'm scared.. " more shoute could be heard down the hall. More enemies closing in as her kingdom fell. But Lenore didn't care. Her father was all she could think about, all she could see.

She felt hands grab her from behind, instantly recognising them as Ryder. "N-no-!" She screamed and fought again, trying to cling to the cooling body. Struggling against her guard, begging and pleading, snarling and snapping. Bringing her fists against his chest as he dragged her away.

Her vision tilted away, mind running from the horror it couldn't process, blood loss and pain now starting to win against shock and adrenaline "please.." Lenore whispered as the darkness chased in. Crumpling into his arms as her tiny body fell limp.

Leaving her guard with a choice. He could leave her, run and cut his loses. She'd die. But it wasn't like he'd get his coin anyway.

And off she ran. Frustrated though he may be, he couldn't say he didn't understand for these actions of hers were his of the past. Though she turned a corner out of sight, he knew exactly where she'd be heading. Pocketing the adhesive and baring his steel once more, he faced the blaze of death that desecrated a place once called a home. The clashing of metal, the splatter of lives cut short, Ryder steadied his blade as he braved the battlefield null to it's horrors.

A line of enemy soldiers stood before him, rightfully assuming he was another threat. Unlike Lenore, he would not simply be able to dodge and weave through this fight unnoticed. The only way to reach Lenore, was through them. Without slowing his pace, Ryder spoke softly. "Try to kill me if you dare, but do the smart thing and let someone else try first." A moment of hestitation befell his foes before one charged.

One by one, Ryder cut them down. Just as one thought they had found an opening in Ryder's stance, with his freehand he blasted an unrefined ward spell, creating a small arcane blast that threw the foe off balance before he met his untimely doom with a bite of steel in his stumble.

Ryder finally approached the king's study, a haste in his step. A blast of heat and a flash of orange eminated from within the room, stopping Ryder in his tracks for but a moment as he shielded his face from the hot air. As it subsided, he entered.

The scene before him was one of awe, and of sadness. The room scorched, large drapes on the window up in flames as small blazing pieces floated across the room. A charred body, no mercy shown, and further in, there was Lenore. She was clutching the body of the king. A sinking feeling in Ryder compelled him to move into the room slowly towards Lenore. He knew this was likely the enemy's target, and he had wished to spare her the burden of first-hand knowledge this day.

Ryder approached from behind the princess slowly. Had she done this to this room? How much control over magic did she truly have?

"My condolences, Lenore." His voice soft and earnest for it was not the time for remarks. "You must understand, you will no longer find safety within these halls. Come, we must away." He grabbed Lenore by the wrist, dragging her along with him knowing she was in no condition to truly think for herself. She fought back, desperate to stay with the remains of her father. She fell into his chest, pleading as she let her body go limp. No words were spoken, her eyes said more than enough.

While it was true he was a sell sword, he was still human, he still had a heart. Ryder would not idly submit a young woman to a fate akin to one he had once suffered. The coin be damned, a life and freedom was worth far more. He spoke not, fearing any further words could be the wrong ones. He was more a man of action, and now was the time to act. He picked up the incapacitated devil-kin, carrying her across both his arms. Hoping the halls he had cleared were still clear, he began to walk towards the door.

The body of the king grew further behind them, as did the life she once knew. Up in flames, the structure of the castle creaked. And from this tragedy, Ryder carried her, not only to safety, but to a way forward.

As Ryder fled, he’d have been intercepted by a few. Thankfully able to throw the small woman over his shoulder and evade capture. As he crossed the threshold of her crumbling home. He’d hear a huff and hooves following after him. Maple returning to their side and reluctantly allowing the man to either ride her, otherwise just following after him. The three didn’t stop until the castle was far behind them, hours had stretched on as Ryder finally made a makeshift camp off the road.

Maple stayed loyally beside the crumpled woman, tears still dripping down her face in her slumber. Until she woke with a start, crying out and sitting up. Lenore looked around her with wide, puffy eyes. Lunging to her feet as she looked around her in confusion. Seeming to calm slightly at the sight of Ryder, falling to her knees once more as she clung to her horse’s nose. “M-Maple.. where are we?? M-My father..?” Sobs wracked her body.

clutching at the grass at her knees as she dug her nails into the dirt. It was gone. Everything. All of it. It was all gone. Her kingdom. Her people. Her home. Her books. Her staff. Her family. The memories of her mother. The heirlooms. Lenore clutched at her chest, feeling like she couldn’t breathe, like the tears her heart were crying would drown her from the inside out.

Everything she’d ever known. Was gone. She’d never left the city before. Rarely even the castle grounds at that. Now.. she was alone... looking up at Ryder with terrified eyes. He saved her? She looked down at her stitched arm. He’d not left her, but he wasn’t her guard anymore? Managing to stumble to her feet, she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“th-thank you. Are you h-hurt?” Her voice wavered, she was trying to be strong. Composed, to turn her mind back to more important matters than her heart. Taking a step towards the sell sword, shoulders hunched, she looked like a lost kitten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back