• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Contested Zone: Édgar Valerio

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

cl0ud

• 1647726070647.png

TheWeapon TheWeapon

A series of tickers ran across your screen, SCBC, CBT, AORO, CMS, BKN, PDS, VRM. The Cacinan equity market is down today but what's new. Your boss, Tiago Alvarez-Paiva is the Man of House for your beloved city of Albencia. Tiago will be happy to hear that Petrol Del Sol is up after you placed an order for an additional 10,000 shares a couple of days ago. You grab a glazed doughnut from a small half-dozen box and take a sip of your coffee. Nearby is a small bottle of azúsal, a distilled spirit made from sugarcane juice and the preferred alcoholic beverage of the Cacinan. Today might not be the worst day to spike your coffee. No, nevermind that. You have work to do.

On today's itinerary, you need to check up on the operations at Agatha's Panadería. She is a sweet old lady in North Town and a longtime supporter of the Marejones Cartel. Her bread factory has doubled as a cocaine packaging plant since the earliest days of the Cartel. A truck carrying palettes of flour to a nearby town is considerably inconspicuous. Next, Tiago has instructed you that he needs more soldiers. The Cartel has been having some trouble with bandits along the Sedon River that flows through the city and to the port in Aldea. Mostly harassment from the riverbanks, but a problem nonetheless. Finally, Tiago needs you to meet with the Board of Directors for his shell company, Noble Merchant Holdings. There is a city council member who has been calling for the city to root out corruption and is throwing accusations at the mayor, who is more than sympathetic to our cause.

Last edited:

Édgar took his coat from on top of the chair as he put it on his way outside of the hallway. His right-hand gets shoved to the inner pocket of his jacket to get his old phone which has basically no other option available to the user other than making calls and sending texts. He kept his equipment simple for the work, maybe that was why was constantly focused on his job. Scrolling through the numbers trying to call him in the past few hours, he indifferently dials a number on it, continuing his way outside of the hallway as the shades of the sun touch the man's face.

Rafael picks up the phone. "Yeah?" and it was the only line calling to Rafael. All the cellphone lines between the members of the circle were safe, at least as far as they could control it, that was why everybody was so careful with who they shared the lines.

"Anything about those people near the river?" He paused for an answer.

Rafael replied, "Not yet, want me to move the word?"

"Listen, Put Leonardo on that. Tell him to gather as much as he can from what they're up to. I need some names, Alright?"
Édgar responded. The sound of the wind is audible behind the call.

"Consider it done." Rafael said.

"There's something else I need you for. Remember the thing we discussed yesterday?" Édgar is lowkey referring to the city council member that they talked about a few days ago. He keeps the names and titles away from the calls. Just in case.

"What about him?"

"I might want to do it a little bit less 'lethal' but more effective. Get your hands on a girl. There's no easier way to ruin a man's reputation."
Édgar directly mentions the plan of blackmailing. If you're known as a corrupted figure yourself, nobody's going to hear you crying about other corrupted people. Cruel world that Édgar knew how to work with.

"I'll see what I can dig."

"Keep me updated. Send the driver for me. Have to check on something up the north."
He doesn't specify.

"Luiz and Mauro are on their way."

And Édgar hangs up. Pocketing his phone as he raises the collar of the coat to cover his face against the cold wind. Waiting on the side of the road for the car to come up. Just another usual day for him to care of the other people's job instead of them. The car finally arrives as he eyes Luiz sitting behind the wheel. He Mauro opens up the door of the front passenger seat for him. The man looks around the street, final check to make sure nobody's following before stepping inside.

"Agatha's Bakery, Wanna pay a visit there. Wanna make sure if everything's usual." Édgar said, his gaze remains to the front. Luiz nods his head twice before pushing the gas pedal.

The drive through the city is quiet. As you drive across the bridge, you get a fabulous view of the Sedon. It is flowing gently, an indication of a calm day. There are fishermen and boys lined up along the banks to try to hook anything for the day's catch. Fathers and sons bonding over a serene moment. Driving through the Old District, you see historied buildings. Bullet holes in the bricks from conflicts past, weathered roofs and anachronistic lighting. Finally, you arrive at Agatha's. It is an adorable adobe building with arched windows proudly displaying the bread and pastries for sale. As you walk inside, Agatha leaves her counter to hug and kiss you, "Oh my son, my beautiful son! It's so good to see you! Why are you visiting grandma today, baby?"

Agatha is dressed in a pretty blue-and-white blouse with a black and white skirt. She is certainly in her late seventies but has the joy and energy of someone in their twenties. She has always been a motherly figure to members of the Cartel.

Édgar stepped outside of the car as he readjusted his glasses, signaling Luiz and Mauro to stay in the car as he makes sure his appearance is quite formal and neat. His right-hand remains in his side pocket as he pushes the door on his way using his free hand, glancing around the moment he heard Aghata's voice. Looking for anything interesting to gain his attention as Aghata pulled him into her arms. The man acted senseless, as always. The emotionless cold eyes of Édgar were always the same. Dead, cruel, without any feeling.

"We have to talk.." His cold voice continued as he walked towards the table set at the corner of the pastry, his eyes locked outside of the store, mostly checking on the car while having his connection with his guys waiting for him inside the car. He moved his both arms onto the table, sitting comfortably in front of Aghata after inviting him to sit right in front of him.

"Don't want to waste your time here, I have a lot to do myself. Everything been going on as usual?" Édgar kept his distance, his arms folded against his chest, his tone is totally serious, leaving no room for a usual talk. His attitude is much more serious than what is actually expected from him during the time of business.

"No, everything is the same here," Agatha said. "All the new babies are doing their jobs just as well as the old group," through a smile. Agatha is referring to a new group of children who were recruited by the Cartel to package cocaine. They double as shop assistants for the bakery, and are treated to the occasional candied bread. The boys from the old group were activated by Tiago to learn how to become soldiers.

Édgar had his eyes locked on hers. He usually does that to make sure nobody's acting suspicious, lying. Even if you're the best person in the world of liars, he would get a clue from that you're acting 'not normal'. He simply nodded his head twice. Lifting himself up as he taps once onto the table. "Then why not give it a look?" He eyed the woman, his body language leading the conversation was like he was in a hurry. Wanting his business to be taken care of immediately. These routine checkings were on his to-do list every day, but he's always looking for some opportunity.

"Of course!" Agatha said, leading you through the back. As you walked through, several bakers were working away at their duties. Agatha leads you through an entrance into a back room where a dozen boys and girls, no older than eleven, were using scales and scoops to fill gunny sacks full of cocaine with the logo of the Saunas Milling Company on it. The Cartel has an insider at the Saunas Milling Company that supplies gunny sacks and transport to the Cartel for a fee. The executives of Saunas Milling Company have no idea. What's a better hiding place than in plain sight? Everyone only thinks there's flour on each transport.

Tailed her to the backroom as his gaze remained searching the place, his eyeballs catching the digits on the scales one by one making sure everything was being done in a specific order. At the meantime, he kept his head close to Agatha. "How much you're sure about the secrecy of this operation? Anything interesting on the matter of privacy? Some people are making problems in the riverside."

"Well dear, everyone in Albencia knows that the Cartel operates here. The black SUVs consistently parked in outside betray any other idea! If you are wondering about the police, they have never bothered. I have a very good relationship with the lieutenants - they often come here for free beijinhos! Plus, no adversary of the Marejones would step foot in my shop with malicious intent."

Édgar kept his dead-looking eyes locked at the woman, his words and voice were like a sound going in the background of his mind when he was starring at the numbers of the scale. It was always the same deal with him when it was a number there, numbers were distracting to him... So much...

"Ten point two... Ten point two three... Ten point two five..." kept getting repeated in his mind, and he couldn't help it.

"Keep up the good work Agatha... I'm not here everyday..."And he suddenly turns around just the moment he was about to leave.. "But my eyes remain focused.." And kicked the door closed behind his back. Signaling Luiz to open up the door for him so he can hop in.

"Where to Boss?" the driver asked.

"Going to the company, Going to have a meeting there.." Édgar said right before the man pushing the pedal. He checks his phone if he missed any call from his people, he was waiting for an update.

You ring Leonardo. He tells you that after some brief investigation, the "bandits" are just disgruntled fishermen, upset by the riverboats disrupting the flow and scaring the fish. They are poorly armed and disorganized. Leonardo suggests upgrading the armor on the boats and continuing operations business as usual or increase the offensive capability of the boats, maybe a mounted machine gun to lay down some suppressing fire. Apparently Tiago just put in for a shipment for some machine guns from the Veran Commonwealth that will arrive in a couple of days.

Rafael reports that he produced a girl, one loyal to the Cartel. Her father is a soldier under Tiago.

You arrive at the company office. Noble Merchant Holdings is less so a shell company and more of a front. The company adds legitimacy to Tiago's name. Today you are acting as Tiago's proxy to the Board of Directors. They have become acquainted with you as this would not be your first time sitting in on a meeting. The agenda for today is the acquisition of a steel mill and recent protests from the workers at Charter Cotton, a NMH subsidiary. Allegedly, a farmer the name of Jonas Barreto claims that Charter Cotton is not paying the farms enough and have used intimidation tactics to suppress the farmers. Charter Cotton operates by negotiating contracts with cotton farms to monopolize on their crop output and then refines the cotton at Charter Cotton mills in Albencia.

The steel mill acquisition is a part of a larger gradual acquisition of Santos Brothers Fabrication, a steel fabricator that operates in east Marejones. They are headquartered in Cadalogue but Albencia is their second largest area of operation due to the quick transit to the port in Aldea.

1.jpg

Édgar kept his glance out of the window while getting to the area around the company, when the driver was parking the car, he kept himself in the phone call, walking to Leonardo. "I want to avoid the conflict as much as we can, not until they're not fully involved and disrupted anything. Use the stuff we're getting from Veran this week. Handle it on your own since I'm busy with some stuff." The car stopped. "Keep me updated."

Leonardo answered, "I will." He hangs up and steps out. Just before he's about to take a walk inside, he turns around suddenly like he forgot something, reaching the car window, tapping on the glass as Mauro rolls the window down to face Édgar.

"Almost forgot something. Luiz, you're going on your own.." Édgar remains vague on his plans.

Luiz replies, "What?"

"Agatha's. You go back there, stay outside the pastry, and wait for her to come out. Tail her if it was needed, find out what she's up to. If the security asked anything, you weren't sent by me... Find anything... Literally, anything you can... Make sure you ain't gonna **** it up."
Édgar's eyes remain focused on his during the order, as he's clearly planning something in his mind. It wasn't like he didn't trust the lady, it was the fact that's she was doing her job too well, and from Édgar's point of view, these people are vulnerable. "Hit my line." He said before walking in, and Luiz nodded.

Édgar steps into the hallway of the building, his phone begins to ring as he picks it up. Rafael's reports reached the level of his satisfaction as he further gives the man his next instruction about finding and extracting all of the details of the social events which that specific city council's appearance is expected. "Dig as much as you can... Any party, any informal meeting with that guy available. Even if it's a simple birthday party in a bar, send her inside and make sure she's the only one shinning there. If she knows what to do, she's going to get paid. Give her one thousand upfront and two after the job's done.." Édgar said while climbing the stairs to the next floor, he's carrying the suitcase on his right as he's usually appearing with his paperwork and stuff just in case he had to do anything. And yes, there's a pistol inside of that briefcase next to all of those papers, but he doesn't need to be worried about the metal detectors.

"Stay in touch." And he hangs up.

Walking inside the office, he nods his head at the individuals as he maintains the rushed body language right onto his seat, signaling everybody to remain comfortable and take a sit, changing between his usual glasses and reading glasses as he unlocks his briefcase placed on the table, listening to the explanation of the members of the board. He withdraws a handful of legal papers probably extracted from the documents of the company itself, placing them on the table. The papers would contain a piece of brief information about the Charter Cotton employees and workers, who got hired by them. The information would consist of full names, addresses, ages, origin, simple stuff like that. "So, this-.. Mr. Barreto, I'll handle it just about okay... And about the steel mill.." He withdraws the paper containing Barreto's information, giving it a closer look. "Is there anything specific that I need to know about it?"

"First, what is your plan for handling Mr. Barreto, Mr. Valerio?" a voice said, emphasizing each syllable. The voice belonged to Antenor Passos de Lima, one of the directors on the Board. He was completely unaffiliated with the Cartel and operated a river shipping company operating in the Manteda and Alvis basins.

Édgar's gaze which was focusing on the paperwork down on the table, slowly raised up, eyeing the man who asked the question. This clearly wasn't the first time another member of this board was being such a pain in the arse for the man. His facial expression suddenly changed to something more serious and lethal, the emotionless face wore on with two cold eyes squeezing the life out of the other man's eyes.

"I'll handle it..." He insisted and repeated himself, but this time, with a different vocal tone as he kept his eye contact with Antenor for a few extra seconds, before refocusing on the papers on the table, waiting for anybody to break the silence and reply to his last question. He remained vague on his plans, obviously, because of the way he usually solves problems. His look at the other man's face after asking the question, was enough to be identified as a thread.

"Mr. Valerio, as a shareholder in this company and a representative of other shareholders, we need to discuss this as a group. You may be proxy for the Chairman, but that does not mean you have the right to exclude us in the dealings of this company. Now, please propose your solution to the rest of the Board so that we may discuss," Antenor says. His tone was challenging but relaxed. Your efforts to intimidate him did not work.

A gentle smile came on his face as he nodded his head only once after collecting his papers back into his suitcase, closing it and taking a few seconds in silence as he firmly moved his gaze towards the man challenging his dominance on the group.

"Mr. Passos, you clearly don't see the point I'm trying to show you... Charter Cotton, Jonas Barreto. Those companies exist because we wanted to. That person is still talking because he was allowed to talk, by us... By me..." As he lifts himself up from the chair, his suitcase in his right hand. He walks around the table, as in the middle of his sentence, he reaches behind Antenor as he's sitting on his chair. He continues:

"Let's be realistic Mister Passos. Jonas is not an important person. Charter Cotton is not an important establishment. But what about you?" He makes his face closer to the man's ears from behind. "Do you feel important today by any chance?" He says, and with a moment of silence following his sentence afterward, he leaves the room.

As you exit the room, Antenor exclaims how unprofessional you are, noting that "Clearly, Tiago has appointed a thug rather than a businessman," slamming his fist on the table. The consequences of upsetting Antenor Passos de Lima are unknown but because of his ties to the rivers in Marejones, there might be some increased resistance with your shipping route along the Sedon, particularly at the junction of the Manteda at Jinobecos.

This act of unilateralism has damaged your relationship with the Noble Merchant Holdings Board of Directors and Antenor Passos de Lima. You did not receive any further information regarding the steel mill acquisition.

After exiting the building, you receive a phone call from Luiz Barros-Souza, "Hey boss, I have been watching the bakery. Agatha left awhile ago to go grocery shopping, She is currently at her house. No strange deviations or anything. Just a normal grandma doing her routine. I'll let you know if anything changes," he said, somewhat uninterested in the report before hanging up. Agatha has worked with the Cartel since before you joined the ranks. For years her bakery has served as both a front, a safehouse, and a delectable pastry service for the soldiers in Albencia.

Shortly thereafter, Rafael Azevedo-Pinto calls. "Boss, I did some digging and greased up Rodarte's secretary. He has a dinner with the Albencia Business Council later this week at Arredondo's, a vineyard retreat just outside of town tomorrow, and a visit to the Najera Golf and Country Club for a daily outing with some fellow city council members and Representative Mejía-Najera from the Unión Patriótica party," Rafael reports.

Information has been added to your journal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back