• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Chloromancer and the Childheart

HowlingWolf

arrow ace
The Prince had requested his garden to be perfect--and what the Prince wanted, the Prince got. The head gardener was out on leave. Something about having all talons available to search for the Beautiful Sun. Archangel was just the assistant head gardener--important enough to make decisions regarding the health, wellbeing, and appearance of the garden, but ultimately unimportant enough not to be part of "all talons available" when it came to important things within the kingdom.

Angel didn't think the garden could be any more perfect than it already was. The flora blossomed with a vivacity unseen over the last 200 years, and even predated the War of Song. Their previous monarch had always cared for appearances--and his son and current monarch was much the same. Everything must be perfect.

He ran a hand over one of the broad-leafed elephant ears. It was soft beneath his work-roughened fingertips, veins firm and healthy. But beneath, a yellowing spot had overtaken one of the smaller sprouts. Infection wouldn't do in a garden like this. Angel knelt, whispering a word to the Keeper. She wasn't his patron deity--that title belonged to the Catcher of Lightning--but Spirit flowed through all living things and the plants were no different. With her blessing, the Bringer's infection wouldn't spread, and the rest of the garden would continue thriving.

Using the shears at his side, Angel snipped through the base of the sickened elephant ear. The clipping went into the woven bag that hung at his side. It was brightly colored, like the rest of the garden, though didn't bear any of the surrounding greens, instead mostly woven with tan and orange fibers. It needed a wash. As he opened it to tuck away the discard, his nose wrinkled at the pungent mix of residual herbs and plants. It was strong enough for any dragon to turn their nose. He'd have to remember to do that later that night, once he was able to return to his bed.

The rest of the garden seemed to be in working order. The soil was moist and rich when Angel crumbled it through his fingers, each stone of the paths perfectly and strategically laid to seem natural. Even the water from the fountains and naturally unnatural rivers flowed like crystal. Angel couldn't help the thrill that went through him. When his teacher eventually got back, he'd have to see the ability that Angel had cultivated--the proof that he could handle his own garden, even a royal one. He'd be ready to take that step.

Preen had successfully weaseled away from Shakari long enough to steal away to the royal gardens for a moment alone. It had been almost a week since the prince had called him to court, and Preen felt that absence like a hollow in his chest. Had he done something wrong? Did he displease the prince in some way? Of course he was busy--he was the ruler of Akearia. Perhaps a new outfit would catch his eye? Preen needed something, anything to get close to him again. The prince was the shining star in his universe. Away from his light for too long and Preen felt himself begin to dim.

He laid in the grass under a large oak tree, the shade keeping him cool. Preen draped one arm over his eyes, so no one would see that he'd been crying. He sighed heavily, trying to calm himself.

A telltale signature of Light had risen within the garden. It was faint--but bright, a soothing whisper as it danced through the leaves. It carried a breath of anxiety when it reached Angel's ears. He frowned. No one was supposed to be in the gardens at this time. Rather, no one was typically here during this time. Dragons in the palace were busy, and those who lived in the standard quarters of Echalhos usually didn't like to risk the Prince's ire if they were seen.

Tucking his shears at his side, Angel wandered in the direction of the signature. It was technically his job to tend to the garden--even if he was heading away from the newer grown areas of the garden, which typically needed more care and supervision. He wasn't technically leaving his job if he didn't leave, and his mentor wasn't around to tell anyone otherwise.

Belladonna occasionally came through the garden at odd times, for what she didn't have or couldn't grow in her own garden. She talked about it sometimes. It was little more than a small plot. Nothing like the Prince's garden--it'd been tended for centuries. The signature didn't seem like hers though. Hers was more wolf-like, with a sour taste to its edges--this one was too soft.

He found the dragon underneath one of the ancient oaks. They were sprawled in the shade, an arm flung over their eyes, artfully careless. "Oh." Angel paused. "Hello there."Something about them struck Angel as familiar--but then, many of the dragons he saw walking through the gardens he'd seen at one point or another. His mentor was friendly with many people. Angel tried to be.

Preen started at the sudden voice that called to him. He sat up, drawing his had away from his face and looked up at the dragon standing over him. His makeup was slightly smudged, and it was obvious he'd been crying. But he gave his usual radiant smile as he stood, wiping off his pristine pants.

"Hello. I'm sorry to intrude, I just needed a moment to think." He looked more closely at the dragon--who was obviously a gardener. He was covered in leaves and dirt, but he had very nice features. Preen took a step closer and reached out, his fingers brushing against the gardener's long braid. His hair was thick and a little rough, but with care it would really flourish. Preen turned to dig inside the small pouch at his waist. His arm immediately vanished inside as he did so. "This simply won't do. You have beautiful hair and a lovely face, all you need to do is care for them a little more. Why not show off what you have?" The dragon blinked rapidly in surprise, and opened his mouth to speak. Preen silenced him with a waive. "No, no, this is not up for discussion. I know your job must be hard, but that's no excuse to neglect yourself. Someone as pretty as you deserves to be looked at." Just then, a shout came from behind them. Shakari, his guard, came running to them, winded and looking furious.

"I swear one of these days you're going to kill me! Do you know how long I've been looking for you, Childheart?" Preen gave her a bright smile and a dismissive waive.

"Oh, hush. You would be too bored without me. Here, hold this." He threw out several scarves and three different crystalline bottles, all of which the dragon scrambled to catch. The guard huffed indignantly, scowling at him. Finally, Preen pulled what he was looking for out of the bag. A large silk bonnet, a crystal container of cream and a bottle of amber liquid. As he handed them to the other dragon, he gave instructions. "This is to sleep in, it will keep your hair's natural oils on your head instead of on your pillow and reduce friction--which stops frizz. This is for your face, apply it twice daily after washing and it will help keep your skin bright and smooth. This is a hair tonic that you should work in after you wash, it will help keep it healthy and strengthen it." The dragon looked even more bewildered, looking down at the gifts in his hands. Preen began to take back the things that belonged in his bag, then handed Shakari a mirror as he began to deftly touch up his makeup.

"Oh no need to apologize, the gardens are open to-" Angel began to respond, but his words were swallowed by the dragon's following actions. A hand came to touch Angel's braid and heat rose to his face-it wasn't uncommon for a tinge of green to creep its way through the supposedly white strands, as though he had spent too long rolling within the grass. But he never saw the point in attempting to tame it, even if he chose to keep its length--which is why Angel set it in a braid to begin with. It was easy enough to move out of his way without worrying about strays blowing all in his eyes.

But this dragon was moving too fast for Angel to respond to-and when another dragon came running up, calling out a section of the first's name, Angel found his heart beating faster. Childheart, she had said--and Angel knew who she was too. (Insert title for Shakari here because I definitely have one). Shakari. An elite guard of the Prince and well known for her role in protecting--

Angel dipped his head and adjusted the items that had been given to him. "I... apologize, Golden Childheart--and to you as well, (Shakari's title). I don't believe we've ever been properly introduced. I am Archangel, the Chloromancer's Echo--my mentor isn't here at the moment, and I'm overseeing the garden's in his absence." Why a new beauty routine for a gardener was necessary, Angel had no idea--but the items that had been given to him were expensive and of high quality, and he couldn't shun them. Not from an Exalted.

Preen gave a smile as Archangel introduced himself. He finished touching up his makeup and returned what he'd used to his pouch. "Please, don't worry about it Chloromancer's Echo." He replied "It was I who took you quite by surprise. You are doing a lovely job here while your master is away. The gardens look splendid. Next time I visit, please, tell me how you like those. I'll bring more, and we can work on accessories and clothes, too." Shakari rolled her eyes and began to forcefully shoo Preen from the garden and back towards the Exhalted Palace. Preen gave Archangel a friendly wave as he was ushered away.

The next few days passed just as uneventfully, but while out shopping Preen discovered a delicate flower hairpin. The gentle pinks and greens would look magnificent against white, and he snapped it up to give to his new acquaintance. He also bought a few new tunics which were of high quality, but still durable. With Shakari shadowing him this time, he took another trip into the gardens, the wrapped gift in his hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back