• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Building of Styria

Taikailex

Exhaustion seemed to coat the fair features of the white-haired woman as her cloak clung to the wind more than her willowy form. There was irritation settled in her icy eyes as each step seemed to further deteriorate her mood. Perhaps being so close to her beloved castle and a warm bath made her even more resentful of the chilled air. Despite her vampire blood which bore her indifference to the element she hated the cold today out of convenience. Still, to be home was all that she longed for and desired within her still heart. White locks whipped across her face as her crimson garments clung, wrinkled from a night of endless walking. She had never looked so dishevelled in her entire existence. Alas, as they approached the doors, her sisters stood a welcome sight that she almost longed to embrace and she stood before them placing a hand on her hip and running the other through her hair. “Thirty fucking days Lenore, walking eight hours a night for thirty days. Do you know how many disgusting humans I’ve tripped over in thirty days?” her voice held all the resentment that she was currently experiencing from being in such a predicament and yet, the sight of Styria was most welcome. One that she would hold dear for some time, as she had missed her realm and her chosen family.

As the petite redhead stood next to the burly frame of her sister Striga, she was almost drowned out with the stature of the woman compared to her utter daintiness. Alas, it was beneficial in some cases as it always caused many to underestimate the vampire that was known for her tact and diplomacy. Now as their sister approached, returned from her many days in the company of what appeared to be their horseless army, she rose a shaped brow until the white-haired vampiress was close enough for a true greeting. Although it seemed that her chosen sibling beat her to the choice, a faint smile quirked on the lips of Lenore at the sheer brashness of the comments. “Welcome home Carmilla,” she greeted in her calm and complacent tone, one that was often mistaken for leniency when she indeed know strength and brutality when called for. “And what of the horses?” she inquired to the other as if it seemed a simple matter of why her sister had taken a month to make the trek which could have been done in a matter of a week on horseback when one was guiding such a substantial army, marching was always remarkably slow or so she had come to learn. Not that she was known for her ventures into the wilderness, no, her skills were more suited to tables where conversation reigned and deals were made. Ties coming together while the rest took to the harshness of the land. Carmilla with her endless onslaught of ideas, Striga the warrior leading them all, and Morana using all of her tactical prowess to ensure that victory would be theirs. It was a rule that worked and seemed to carve out security.

At the mention of horses, Carmilla sighed, a dejected thing that resigned her to the fate that had been allotted. “Dead within the first week. Humans and night creatures, all gone fucking mad,” she muttered with detestment and seemed to flounder in the ill mood. “Note the thirty days of walking, not by choice,” she stated and seemed to consider what she would care for in that moment. “I need a bath, one that lasts for at least a day,” she offered while pondering what actions she could take first to ensure that her plans came to fruition. It seemed that she did not have much time as her sisters looked puzzled when the Forgemaster was brought forth. Hector looked considerably worse for the wear, but he was alive so it mattered little to her beyond this. “And this snivelling and whining mess is someone I would have left in the ditch weeks ago, if he did not also happen to be a Forgemaster, which happens to be a part of my plan,” she assured the other with a wicked glint in her icy eyes. “Speaking of my plan, Striga would you take him to the dungeons, and fetch me a cartographer for after my bath. We’ll need to get started immediately,” she stated and headed inside with eagerness to be out of the elements and in the company of those that she actually enjoyed holding a conversation with.

As red orbs settled onto the frame of a man that had seen kinder days, Lenore felt a pull within her chest for the poor creature that had been subjected to the will of her sister. Still, she kept her features impassive for now as she listened to the tale of Carmilla and the obvious tells of a plot in the making. It did not take long before the Forgemaster, ah yes, that was a bit of a shock was being led away and her and her sisters were heading inside to meet the third, who was going over various manuvers for their army. When they were settled and Carmilla had taken a much needed drink of blood, she mused to the door, hardly listening to the others and their conversation for a long moment. “If you are truly planning to use this Forgemaster sister, your treatment of him might be unwise. I’ll see to our guest, some diplomacy might be a better approach,” she managed. Lenore turned and headed to the kitchens, gathering some berries, chicken, and an assortment of other food before she moved in the direction of the Western cellblock. Inside she was not shocked to find Hector in worse condition than before, stripped of his clothing and laying on the floor. Her gaze turned coldy to the guard, “Leave us now, before I kill you for the ill treatment of our guest,” the vampire seemed baffled by her threat. “Run,” she reitterated with a hiss and watched as the other of the night fled. Leaving her alone with Hector she stepped to the forefront of the cell bringing a chair with her and peered within. “Your name was Hector correct?” she asked in her pleasant tone, one often used for various levels of negotiations.

Thankfully for Carmilla, when she entered the room that Morana occupied she was met with a warm welcome and a large goblet of blood that she drank in earnest. “Virgin’s blood, you really do love me,” she stated in ecstasy at the change of the situation. “We had best prepare, I have a plan, newly formed while I was away. It will ensure the success of Styria and our stability as the most powerful vampire nation,” a smirk was found playing on her lips. Although she blinked when Lenore seemed to excuse herself to go and see Hector, she sighed and shook her head, white locks settling over her shoulders. “Does she have to tend to every wounded puppy?” she complained lightly but did see the premise of dealing with the situation with such promptness.

A month of traveling with Carmilla’s army had not been kind to Hector. Not that he was familiar with kindness. His life, since he was born, had been one of many unkindnesses, all based on what he could do. Most abhorred him for it. It was new to be treated poorly because someone wanted to use him, but it was still just more of the same.

In the cell, he had not been given the dignity of clothing, even if he’d been washed. Cold water. It still stung in the chill of his cell, though he was dry by now, hair fallen into his face and unbrushed. He’d combed it a bit with his fingers, before giving up, and letting his body just fall against the cell wall. The wounds, bruises and cuts, stood out obviously on his fair skin. His gaze was deadened at the sight of it.

At the sight of the bars. The stone walls.

Everything.

Why didn’t he just give up entirely? It would be the end of this.

The thought was in his head as he heard one of Carmilla’s sisters remove a guard from the area, threatening to kill him for his treatment – as if it was the guard’s fault. Hector knew who gave orders, and who could have given his care a second thought. He didn’t look to verify who it was; he didn’t know Carmilla’s sisters.

As far as he was aware, they were all as bad as her.

“Does it really matter what my name is?” he asked, keeping his gaze upon his bare legs, his feet, so he did not have to see who it was he was speaking to. Who was trying to manipulate him now. Despite the desire not to look, his gaze was as hard as if he was looking at her, a glare unable to be fully masked, brought about the ill-treatment, and the irritation he knew was going to follow.

Because now they were trying to play nice.

He knew why Carmilla brought him here. Knew what they wanted. He didn’t want to give them that army or that power. He’d rather die.

‘So why don’t you?’ He didn’t know. He also didn’t want them to win by ending him. He just wanted peace.

~***~

Morana and Striga were left behind as Lenore excused herself, to Carmilla’s mercurial moods. Striga smirked just a little at Carmilla’s statement, but it was Morana who spoke, “Well, as I suspect your new plan involves using this puppy, then yes – yes she does have to go tend to him,” ever strategically minded, she added, “it’s no good if the Forgemaster hates us, that kind of power used against could bode ill.”

She walked behind Striga as Striga took her seat, hand moving over the back of Striga’s chair before she took her own place at the table, glass of blood cupped in one hand, smile still in place despite her easy correction of Carmilla’s oversight.

Striga leaned back in her chair after taking her seat, keeping that wry expression, “Better she handle it than the rest of us. She does it best,” Striga noted, “We were going to send her to deal with the Witch before we recognized your approach. She wanted to be here instead.” The Witch would wait, perhaps not long, but long enough. Striga seemed dismissive of it.

“Not that she’s a wounded puppy,” Morana said, her tone a touch darker, something akin to contempt, before she also brushed it aside. The Witch had not meant much before. After the night creatures, she’d become a double-edged sword. She did a fair job at keeping them out of Styria, but it was apparent that she was also beginning to reconsider a few important things.

Like who ran Styria. Morana thought they could get her back in line with Lenore, considering she hadn’t cared much before; and it was just Dracula she ought to be upset with, not all vampire kind.

Still, Morana didn’t dwell and pressed ahead, “What are your new plans? I’m prepared to see what we’re going to need,” bringing Carmilla’s plans to reality was her job, and she knew it was going to require a lot of work.

Plenty from Lenore if it involved this Forgemaster, but also, no doubt, plenty for her and Striga. Use of a Forgemaster was bound to mean war, and violence, considering what their skillset was. Morana was curious. Now was certainly the time, though. Considering how the world was in chaos with Dracula’s departure – which did not get rid of the night creatures – they wouldn’t have nearly as much opposition in handling Carmilla’s plans.

Seeing the rather battered form of Hector lying on the stone floor caused something to stir within the still heart of the vampiress. Her red eyes were calculating, beholding the magical man that had been cast into such a state by her sister. Yes, Carmilla tended to play with her food, but to torture the poor man into such a state when she hoped for him to be an ally was ludicrous. A sigh escaped her shapely lips as she leaned forward a bit in her chair, watching his frame with interest. When he finally spoke, there seemed to be a hardness to the retort of the man. A smile formed on her lips, good, he still had a fire that would be beneficial in the future. Now, she would have to soothe over the damage that had been done through mistreatment.

“It matters to me,” Lenore replied smoothly. “I thought we could be civil,” she allowed herself to continue on. As if they were not having a conversation as prisoner and captor, as if there were not the differences of her petite frame clothed in fineries where he was bare before her. Yes, she would need to rectify that, but she wanted to determine some level of cooperation before she permitted any softness to show on her features as she reached over and opened the basket at her side, revealing the abundance of food. “Or even given enough time friends,” she left the offer open. “I am not Carmilla, Hector. My sister can be a bit shortsighted, especially when she has to march,” she mused with some mirth. Although she knew she would not be any less irritated.

Allowing Hector to process her words, Lenore allowed her attention to be returned to the food she had brought along, definitely bribery, but if she knew her sister there had been little food for the man. As she picked up blackberry in her lithe fingers. “I brought you some food, it really is quite good,” she popped the berry into her mouth. Tasting the sweetness, she wiped the juice from the corner of her mouth and licked her bottom lip. This action was also to ensure that the offering she had brought was not laced with poison. He did have every reason to be speculative of any kind act that she could offer and she would not be deterred if he took a colder stance with her. Honestly, it was a good thing that she was a patient woman as was the duty of a diplomat, she was not going to give up anytime soon, gaining trust was a slow thing. Tedious and very worth it. As her fingers grasped another berry, she held it out toward him tentatively. “Would you like one?”

—---

Waving the comment that Morana offered off, the white-haired woman seemed to take little heed of the words. “Fine, I may have been hasty of my treatment of the Forgemaster, but he is such a pitiful thing, let Lenore deal with him.” Her sister was talented in diplomacy and getting people to trust her, she had no doubt with the innocent and beautiful features that Lenore sported she would have Hector eating out of her hand before they knew it. Not that she minded even if it failed, she would torture the man to get what she must. If it were to come to that she knew that Morana would have great insight into that particular domain presented.

It seemed that her siblings had been dealing with their own level of problems, Carmilla took a seat opposite them, eyeing the couple with interest. Eagerly she permitted herself another glass of blood, missing the sweetness of how it tasted at home. Absolutely divine. “Pray tell sisters, what of this witch?” she asked her tone holding some amusement. Surely it would not be something dire that required fighting, otherwise, it would not be Lenore to take on the task. She wondered if her redheaded sibling would be amenable to leaving now that she had a little pet cause under their own roof. Yes, depending on the situation that could be problematic.

Even now as they worked to catch up on the thoughts of one another while Carmilla had been away, dealing with Dracula’s suicidal rampage, half turned genocide. The man truly could be dramatic. She had been glad to see him gone, that left the way for such a tempting opportunity. One they could indulge in for centuries to come. She sipped the blessed blood and felt a smirk curving her lips as they inquired on what her plan was. “It seems that Styria has kept you from the news of the world. With Dracula gone it is utter chaos, humans fighting humans, purposeless night creatures. Truly the world is a complete and utter shitshow,” she added simply.

Yet, Carmila felt her eyes flash with the hope of the future that she brought them. “With such chaos, would it not be beneficial if the territories were united under one ruling entity? The humans would stop fighting and the night creatures could be properly controlled. And we sisters, would gain an endless food source, a fair price to pay for the generosity of brinking these humans peace from their own intense level of barbarism.”

Hector scoffed at the comment of civility, but had no energy to laugh, or even call her on the statement. Nor on the statement of not being Carmilla. ‘No, you may not be her, but you support her.’ By default, then, this woman supported the actions of Carmilla that led him to this state, to this cell. He certainly hadn’t heard too much fighting or screaming when he arrived that would indicate grave offense with his situation.

Nor did he expect it.

He knew what was being done as his gaze shifted ever so slightly, to look at her when she mentioned food. A weakness, a giveaway, but he was starving. To the point that he considered even a slice of bread might be too much, his stomach shriveled up. That was likely untrue, he might be dead already if that were the case, but the pains of hunger were things that would persist into pains of overeating.

He was certain of that even as he watched her pop the berry into her mouth, and make an absolute show of eating.

She didn’t look like Carmilla.

Carmilla had the hardness and edges of aristocracy. This red-haired woman carried a warmth and softness to her. ‘No wonder they sent her.’ He knew better than to assume that was her nature, no matter how she was acting right now. Even as she offered the berry to him. He lifted his head, enough that the hair fell from covering his face, to get a better look at the offer, and then lift his eyes up to her.

Dully, he stated, “I don’t accept food from strangers.” As if he could really be picky at this time. Still, it was a point, that she’d cared to ask his name, but had failed to introduce herself to him. Not that he really cared about her name, or he told himself as much. It would likely have been easier to just keep thinking of her as ‘Carmilla’s sister’ and not ascribe a personal and independent identity to her.

Yet, now he’d made that apparent.

No taking it back.

~***~

Striga gave a bit of a huff at the question of the witch, but let Carmilla speak first to her own thoughts and plans. She nodded along, as naturally it made sense, although people had been trying for ages to settle things with humans. None ever succeeded for long. Humans were contentious by nature. They didn’t seem to really want peace.

“It would be beneficial,” Morana said, brows raised, cup down. She raised one sharply pointed finger, “but,” always a but with her. Striga looked slightly amused with that, “That would depend on the size of the territory. We can only manage so much on our own.”

“Well that’s why she has the Forgemaster,” Striga could tell, “assuming he cooperates, what he makes, could control a wide swath of territory.”

“If,” Morana emphasized. She considered a moment, sighed, “When,” she shouldn’t doubt, “and I do not doubt your ability to oversee our acquisitions, Striga,” Morana added, affectionate, “but you cannot be everywhere at all times. None of us can,” she looked over to Carmilla, “this can be done – but we need to be careful with how much, and how fast, we move.”

“We need speed to take advantage of what is going on,” Striga protested.

“We may not have it thanks to Carmilla’s treatment of the Forgemaster,” Morana pointed out, and Striga sighed, “besides, this is a long-term plan. We will need to be prepared for when the, ah, feral night creatures are no longer a threat, and no longer keeping humans in line with fear alone.”

Striga grunted, but said nothing to that. Instead, she said, “I suppose it will also involve dealing with the Witch, even if we’re only going so far as Styria. She’s just on the outskirts,” she said, speaking then to Carmilla, “Never gave us any trouble, but I still had watches go out to make sure of that. You can never be too careful with their lot.” They had a different sort of immortality, a different sort of power, that could be dangerous. “Far as I can tell, she never cared to get into our business, so I let her be – until recently. Any watch I’ve sent her way has come back injured. Never killed. Far as I know, she’s aware of what Dracula was up to, and seems to have taken it as a mark against all of us. Not sure if she’s ever planning on anything, but I thought Lenore could have spoken with her – softened her up again, so the guards could still watch her, and move through the area she’s claimed as hers without issue.”

“She could be an ally in all of this, I admit, but I’m not keen on those who have shown such blatant disrespect and think they can get away with it. It’s our land she lives on.” Morana added.

It was evident that distrust had been bred in the passing days, something that gave Lenore cause to sigh at the extreme tactics of her sister. How bothersome, truly someday they might come to see the benefits of talking and negotiation. That way they would not continually end up in such an irritating situation. Yet, the petite vampire was well aware that her skills of diplomacy were often the most overlooked of the group. Something that had never truly been too much of a bother for her as they acknowledged her place in the ruling of Styria alongside all of them, her insights regarded equally. Still, she noted the way that Hector responded to the food, causing her to make a grand show of eating the berry, hopefully enticing him into nutrition.

Hopefully, the offer was enticing enough to bridge some of the divides between the two of them. The flickering torches reflected on her porcelain skin and it was evident that the Forgemaster was finally trying to distinguish where she fit in the picture as he had dared to look at her at last. Needless to say, she smiled at his retort to her offering of food. “You’re far more clever than my sister gives you credit for,” the amusement was evident and danced within her red orbs, standing, not that it granted her much in the way of height as she was quite the dainty woman. Approaching the cell, the berry still in her hand, she took the opening and the inquiry.

Even battered and bruised the form of Hector was quite handsome, the vampiress could admit that easily. His toned form was not hindered by starvation, yes, the man had seen tragedy but he had risen from it. “Apparently I am forgetting my manners today,” she stated. This may be true since she had been about to embark on a different mission until they had received word that Carmilla had been sighted and she had been eager to welcome her sister home. Thankfully for Hector, it seemed as he would have not received the same treatment from the others. “My name is Lenore,” she stated smoothly. Stepping toward the cell again, she considered their proximity. “My sister you saw earlier is Striga, she is in charge of our troops and anything to do with war. You have yet to meet Morana, but she is a tactical genius. And well, you know Carmilla,” the information offered was a semblance of a truce. Not that he could harm them with such words. Anyone that knew of Styria knew that. “See, now we are no longer strangers,” she extended the berry to him her eyes patient.

—-------

Sensing the speculation of her sisters, Carmilla was tempted to retort in a short manner, tired from her seemingly endless journey. “Don’t be so short-sighted sisters. We can station our army along any border when we have the Forgemaster supplying us with endless creatures. Then the humans will be in their pen and we will be free to craft our Empire. Either we rise to the occasion now or surely another will, the void that Dracula has left will not wait for us forever,” her eyes gleamed with the intensity of her sheer level of ambition.

Thankfully, it seemed Striga was of a more open mind to the notion. Yes, her sister would have her army. Stroking some of the white locks from her fair features the vampiress waved her hand dismissively. “Lenore will handle the Forgemaster, she’s good at making broken things seem wanted. At least this one will serve some purpose, unlike making a splint for that spider,” she frowned at the notion of her softer chosen sibling. But the redheaded woman definitely did have her assets, ones none of them could even fathom to encroach upon.

It was evident that Striga and Morana were worried about the force that occupied their borders. One witch. Carmilla did not know what to make of the notion. But if their troops had been injured, well then there might be some strength there. As she took another sip from the goblet, the taste staining her tongue she wondered what they were thinking sending Lenore into such a situation, the woman was strong but many tried to take advantage of a fight when they saw her petite nature. Perhaps she simply worried too much. Leaning back in her chair, she considered the implications. “It is our land and this witch will learn to respect it and our rule, otherwise she can certainly meet a different fate that intruding on our hospitality,” she replied firmly.

Considering for a long moment, Carmilla sighed dejectedly as her dreams of lounging in a plush bed for a week fading from her sights. However, with Lenore currently occupied with her plan, she supposed that they needed to address the other notions. “I’ll deal with the witch,” she offered. “I take it we do not care how I deal with her?” she inquired as if she were asking if they cared what sort of gift she was to bring. Ah yes, death was always a good choice. This woman whoever she was would be reminded of whose land that she resided on. Styria was something they had worked hard to build and she would not have anyone encroached on it or their safety that was not something that she would tolerate even in the slightest. She would sooner perish.

‘She gave me credit for plenty when she was using me. Now she’s just forgotten….’ Too caught up in her own ego, Hector was fairly certain Carmilla forgot how much she had needed him in her schemes to betray Dracula, and how much his brand of cleverness had been needed. He could have power, and be of no use to her, like Isaac – but he had started to see where Dracula was heading with all of this.

Some death was fine.

Genocide…no, Hector couldn’t abide that. Now Carmilla was likely wanting to use him to enact a similar scheme to what Dracula had lied to him about.

He didn’t say that to Lenore, as she introduced herself to him at last, while also offering the names of the other sisters of Carmilla. How three other people could stand Carmilla enough to call her a sister, he had no idea, nor understanding. Let alone how someone like Lenore… ‘Stop. It’s a ruse. A manipulation. Vampires like to play with their food. She’s just toying with you.’ He actually wasn’t sure of that.

Dracula never seemed to toy with his food, but all the vampires he’d drawn to him, did. There were…exceptions.

The berry was held out while Lenore now stood. Not much of a difference, even he noticed that. He hesitated to move from where he was. Would she just snatch it away? Pull it back until he offered something more in turn? Not to mention, moving from the wall would make him horribly visible. Not that he should care much about modesty at this point, but he was reminded that he was naked, and should have some way to cover up before approaching another person.

‘You don’t.’ And moving his hands to hide anything would be pointless since he was going to use them to take food. So, with some reluctance, he forced himself to stand, using the wall to help steady himself as he got used to it again, a bit unbalanced, and then walked over to where Lenore was, and reached to take the berry, while noting, “You didn’t say what your role here is. Or Carmilla’s.”

Striga had troops.

Morana had tactics.

He could guess Lenore.

He supposed Carmilla just…brought it all together. Force of personality. Even he couldn’t deny it, he’d been taken in.

~***~

No, nothing would wait forever. Even Morana knew time was of the essence, but so was a cooperative Forgemaster – and that was going to take time, thanks to Carmilla’s decisions to torment him. But, she had already pointed it out. No point in mentioning it again, Lenore would fix the problem. She was good at these things.

As for the Witch – Striga and Morana shared a look at Carmilla choosing to handle it. Not quite doubt, not quite enthusiasm, either. They’d both considered Lenore the better option, assuming she’d manage both not to get hurt, and talk the Witch down easily enough. Carmilla on the other hand….

They looked away, Striga shrugging with a sigh and a gesture out with her hands, Morana simply answering, “No, she’s of no consequence either way. We thought to send Lenore because we assumed it would be less hassle if she went first. We didn’t want to risk further soldiers if there was no point.” They would, though it was unlikely the Witch would have even been able to stand up to Lenore if she chose to take action against her.

She definitely wouldn’t stand up to the likes of Carmilla or Striga.

“Dead is fine,” Striga said, “so is alive. She could be a use to these plans – she has some magic with the plants, or that’s what the soldiers kept complaining about,” she rolled her eyes as if completely exasperated with their complaints, but she understood how it could be useful, even if she thought her guards were utterly useless. “But we know you’ll do what’s right for Styria, and your ambitions.”

Almost as if there was a battle of wills between the vampiress and the mortal before her, the dainty woman stood steady, her red eyes surveying the situation. There had been plenty of damage done to the grey-haired man and she felt remorse for the situations that her sister had shown such disregard. Especially of someone, they were going to ask for help in whatever endeavour her fellow ruler had schemed. There had been many times where she had been forced to take care of the ruptures that Carmilla had caused, rather it was always a fine use of her skills. Yes, that would never be altered it seemed. Their pragmatic sibling would manage to offend in her need for conquest and glory and they would be there to assist in whatever capacity was required that time. Yet, bringing back a Forgemaster in the wake of Dracula’s demise was quite enthralling she admitted.

Watching with a curious gaze, Lenore observed as Hector stood, evidently aware that there was no option presented in terms of attire. She had been waiting to see if he would permit any vulnerability before her and his actions were promising toward blooming a relationship of negotiation. ‘Good boy’, she thought internally with an easy smile as she looked up to his rather tall frame from behind thick lashes, distanced from one another by the cool metal. Handing over the berry when he came close, she waited to determine if he would trust the food and that it was not meant as ill will but as compensation for his sleeping arrangements. Stepping back, she moved to fetch the blanket and basket filled with the various morsels she had collected. Handing him a means to cloth himself somewhat, she almost thought it a pity as the man was quite beautiful. Still, she tossed it lightly into the cell and then opened the basket once more to reveal the contents. “I do have some roast chicken, bread, more berries, and an assortment of cheeses,” the voice of the vampire was light with the consideration of the circumstances and her quite obvious role of alignment with his captors.

Yet, it was when Hector inquired on the role of herself that Lenore settled for biting into another berry, allowing the suspense to hang between them enticingly. “I would have thought it obvious, I am a diplomat,” she confirmed, standing close to the prison cell as if she could peer into his very intentions and soul for their proximity. “And Camilla, well she is the spark,” it was the simplest way to explain things she supposed. “Striga, Morana, and myself, we are like the body, bringing ideas to fruition, actually acting upon them. Where Carmilla is the dream, giving us something to strive for. And with our combined efforts were have found prosperity in Styria,” she replied lightly, unsure of why she did disclose so much to a man that despised them.

—-------

It seemed that there was no rest for the wicked, Carmilla listened to the input of her sisters. Knowing the witch was useful and convincing the woman to aide them were two very different things. Perhaps she would bring another pet home for Lenore, the woman would be delighted at all the souls that she could save. “The witch sounds powerful enough… let us hope she is cooperative then,” she admitted and then felt a smirk touch her lips when the others commented on her ambitions. “Our ambitions sisters, it will take all of us to rise to such glory,” she stated with ease and straightened from her seat. “Now, I am going to bathe and leave one more apparently. Do say goodbye to Lenore for me, this should not take long one way or another,” she surmised.
Doing as she had confirmed, Carmilla returned to her room and was swift to sink into a path, not wanting to show weakness to a potential opponent. Sadly her time in the warmth was short-lived as she merely had to clean her form and hair before stepping out once more. Finding new attire, when she has settled the deadly vampire moved through her home, yearning to stay but striving to meet the carriage outside. As she slipped in, her icy eyes beheld their stronghold once more and she wondered with what kind of news she would be returning. A few soldiers occupied horses around her and one drove the carriage. “Take me to this witch,” she told them impassively, if not with a slight tinge of irritation to her tone. As she realized Morana must have slipped some blood inside of her travelling method, a small smile touched her and she worked to pour herself a glass, taking the time to savour it entirely. Hopefully, this trip would be short and she could return her plotting, but the chance of an ally was promising, as well was the change of removing someone likely problematic.

The berry was not drawn away. Hector was allowed to take the plump morsel between his fingers. A single berry was hardly a feast, and as he squeezed it between thumb and forefinger, he knew that biting into it would only begin a hunger he didn’t have a hope to control. It would be torture if the rest was taken away. So, he did not bite into it immediately, but took the blanket when it was offered.

He carefully manipulated it to wrap around his waist, without dropping the berry, and he tied it there. It wasn’t exactly the height of fashion, but he didn’t exactly have other choices, either. ‘Yes, the diplomat.’ That was why she had all this food. Her role was indeed obvious, and her acknowledging it made her no less dangerous. She was likely aware of the kind of work she’d have to do to get what she wanted. ‘And you’ve no hope of overcoming them, without….’

His thoughts trailed there, a startling realization springing to mind, but staying behind his lips, his eyes, while Lenore had bent to show the food. The smell of chicken finally had him bite into the berry, unable to resist a second longer. That, paired with his new thought: if he played along, he could get his tools. If he had his tools, he’d have the means to liberate himself.

And Carmilla wanted him for his forging, which meant she was going to have to trust him at some point to forge.

He could let himself get broken and never betray them, or he could take this into his own hand. “Yes, she does seem to get wild ideas into her head. Not sure she’s the best spark to be following,” not the best time to be snippy, but even if he played along, he couldn’t give in all at once without being suspicious, could he? ‘Just keep that hope. Once you have your tools….’ He would have to hold to that, as the taste of the berry left that longing on his tongue, on his lips, for more.

For freedom.

And freedom would only come through Lenore.

“Why do you have all of this food? You vampires don’t need to eat it. I don’t see any human servants. Or other prisoners, for that matter.” Rather large grouping of cells for the area. He wondered if they locked up people often.

~***~

Alina wasn’t prepared for visitors, nor did she expect any for a bit. Eventually, she knew, the quartet would come to her, and by then she hoped to be ready to deal with them. ‘They support Dracula.’ And Dracula was on a rampage. Ended, now, or so her demon told her, but that didn’t mean other vampires wouldn’t pick up the pieces.

A Witch held a nebulous place. Everything about her was still human, except that now her soul was twined with that of a demon, which granted her magic different from the Speakers and a longevity otherwise foreign to humans. Not to mention, with the story being Dracula’s wife was accused of witchcraft, Alina didn’t expect to be well received if she tried to differentiate herself from humans.

It seemed she wasn’t going to be given much longer to prepare.

It came as a warning flashed through her head, red light, that told her one of her barriers had been crossed. The direction and speed became apparent; no meeting it before it arrived, then. ‘Carriage. Must be one of the four.’ A lowly soldier wouldn’t be granted such a privilege. With a huff, she shook her hands and wiped them off on a nearby towel, leaving just a cup left unwashed near the basin. The towel was tossed aside and she grabbed one of her hanging crystal pendants from besides the door before she stepped out, putting it on as the carriage came into sight, the rune glowing as soon as it made contact with her skin.

A small boost; it helped to connect her with the nature, ground to ground, mineral to mineral. She could feel the flow of it beneath her easier.

Ishara, ever-present, also stepped out of the house, though not in any way obvious as a demon. She kept the form of the black cat; she always had fun going unnoticed in it, and she moved around Alina’s skirt-covered legs, purring as Alina waited for the reveal when the carriage stopped within the clearing – but still a fair distance away from her actual house. Her attire was nothing fancy, may as well have been peasant clothing – a simple blue skirt, a white off-shoulder top.

She clearly wasn’t using her power for wealth.

The guard who commanded the carriage apparently wasn’t brave enough to continue when Alina stepped out, small thing though she was.

They knew the strength of Lenore, after all. Small and ginger was not a mix they cared to challenge often, apparently.

Careful, that was the one thing that was evident to the watchful red eyes of the petite woman. Hector resisted eating the berry until he had been granted something further. The blanket and the temptation of further sustenance. It seemed her plan was going as it should. For such sweet appearing features and a warm tone that could disarm many it seemed that this man did not forget the power that she was likely to hold. She appreciated that, he did not see her as faint and weak, but rather as an adversary much like her sisters. That was a start to something, whether it be for her benefit or his own she was uncertain as of yet. Instead of commenting too much further, she worked to place an assortment of her offerings on a plate and slipped it through the bars. “There, you’re welcome to more, if your stomach can handle it,” she commented with insight to his condition. No, she was no fool and she could guess what he had endured with a rather cranky Carmilla.

As Lenore stepped back and returned to her chair, she watched the Forgemaster impassively. As if she were not deterred by anything before her but rather accustomed to it. His question, however, caused a smirk to adorn her shapely lips. “Just because it is not required does not mean we cannot indulge,” she chimed. It was much like alcohol she supposed. And she did enjoy a large goblet of carbonet when the moment for indulgence arose. Immortality was a complicated thing, difficult to explain how they sought for security and carved out comforts in their lives as best they could for they needed to endure for eternity after all. “Besides, we often have volunteers from the surrounding villages, we do require blood. And they are happy to provide, and we are more than happy to keep them comfortable,” it seemed like a simple enough solution in diplomatic means.

Cast in the dim torchlight, Lenore perched on her chair, surveying the scene and the complex match that she would engage with Hector. Carefully, with interest she breached another topic, her porcelain and silken skin seemed to shine in the dimness. “Tell me, Hector, what is it that you want?” she inquired raising a shaped brow for the moment. “You see that is the nature of diplomacy, compromise. And while I cannot let you out without betraying my sisters, I am sure that their our other things that you yearn for. Things I may grant you,” the words were a soft musing, asking him to consider. Luring him into the dance of politics. Give and take, it would flow back and forth like a raging sea. Alas, it was whoever was the most clever and attained more that was the winner. Despite that, it was even more beneficial when both parties walked away with their own successes from the altercation. Perhaps this could be a beginning to further topics of negotiations among them.

—------

The carriage ride was quite intolerable. Better than marching the slender vampire thought to herself. If she never marched again it would be too soon. Alas, she hoped that this would be over soon enough and she could return to the castle where she was free to indulge in some manner of pampering. Frankly, she deserved it. Dracula was dead and she had come up with a brilliant plan which would see to the fruition of Styria. There was just this one little errand to run first and then she would be back on the task that truly mattered to secure their future. Still, it would all depend on how Lenore managed to coerce the Forgemaster, she had little worry as her sister had always been miraculous at coaxing wounded creatures to trust her in some capacity.

There was not much more time to ponder the matter as the carriage halted. Icy eyes surveyed the scene and Carmilla noted that they were not before the home of the witch but a fair distance away. “Cowards,” she almost hissed to the soldiers. Useless it seemed, if she had more time she might have ended them for their insolence. That and she had no desire to guide the carriage back herself. Instead, she stepped out, her willowy form standing tall as the moon shimmered against her white locks cascading down her back. A dress hued of crimson clung to her form, matching the shade of her lips and the blood she adored consuming. Yet, before her was the surprise, a petite redhead, coming to meet them, devoid of worry on her features or so it seemed.

A small laughed was emitted from Carmilla as she was rather amused with this current development. “You are the witch my sisters worried about?” she asked, mirth shining within her icy eyes. But not for the reason some might think, that she was underestimating the other woman. Rather, she was wise to the fact that power could come in small packages. “I see now why they wished to send Lenore, you both would have bonded I am sure,” two small but deadly women. Alas, this was her negotiation now. “I have heard that you have been causing our soldiers some amount of trouble,” her tone was dry as she got into it immediately, eyeing the cat that had appeared as well, sensing the power radiating from the woman she knew that this was no mere companion animal. Which made this interaction even more interesting. “I am supposed to enter in negotiations and determine how we might resolve this issue. However, unlike my sister I am fucking horrible with politics. So let’s get down to it, tell me why you’ve attacked my men, and agree to stop all further attacks in the future, or die,” she looked to examine her nails as if the conversation meant little to her brilliant mind.

A plate was made from the goods in the basket, a sampling of each thing. Hector’s light eyes went over each item as it was pushed through, and with that same hesitance he was approaching much of this with, he took a seat besides the plate, and smoothed out the blanket around his waist. He doubted his stomach could handle more, but he picked up a bit of the chicken. The smell of it was too enticing to resist it for cheese, or something else.

Still, he didn’t bite in as he listened to Lenore’s answer, “Ah. I didn’t actually realize you still enjoyed the taste of these things,” he had assumed only blood tasted good to vampires anymore. Poor assumption. Then again, he didn’t really see them partaking in anything else, not even Godbrand who seemed like he would have preferred to go around constantly drunk.

Not that Dracula had such alcohol readily available.

Perhaps that was why Godbrand had been such a pain in the ass; he was unwillingly sober.

The thought of volunteers here also made him wonder what they got out of it, besides food, if anything. It segued nicely into what Lenore went on to ask – what he wanted. ‘I want to leave.’ She didn’t even give him a second to humor that. “Well. Thank you for making it clear I can’t have what I actually want.” There was a bit of sarcasm there. A bit of sincerity as well. At least she wasn’t going to dangle false hope or a lie.

Regality seemed to surround her then as she sat and made the offer to deal with him. To give him things that he wanted. “I suppose I can’t say I don’t want to work with Carmilla, can I?” No, not likely. Rhetorical, he knew it even if he thought an answer might be enlightening, and he sighed, looked down at the meal he hadn’t fully touched, the chicken still in his hand.

Basics.

He was going to have to barter for basics. “What’s the cost of clothing?” He looked back up at Lenore, setting the chicken down. He knew it had a price. He had even psyched himself up to play the game and pay some prices to get to his freedom, but at the moment, it had a terribly bitter taste knowing even this food had an unknown price to it. Besides keeping him alive. “What’s the cost of decency?” The word slipped with resentment, pointing itself at the only target he had – Lenore.

~***~

The woman who stepped out was not the familiar image of Striga. That was the only four of the quartet that Alina knew the appearance of. She had an idea of who this one was by her bearing, though. She wouldn’t make the assumption aloud as she observed the vampiress in the moonlight, who opted to make an ultimatum, not a negotiation.

‘You’re right, you’re not good at politics.’ Alina bit her bottom lip to avoid saying that. Probably not the most tactful way to continue, even if the woman herself had just confessed to being shit at it. She wouldn’t like to hear it thrown back at her. No one ever did.

Not that Alina thought this was politics. She was just a single individual, hardly making up matters of state. Although she supposed her actions against the quartet could probably fall close to treason. ‘Well, they started.’

“That’s not a negotiation, that’s an ultimatum.” Alina pointed out, but sighed, relaxed her posture, and answered anyways, “Your guards are spying on me. They have for years, I paid it no notice until I learned what Dracula was doing, and that one of you went to join him in his endeavors. I took their actions as a threat, then. Dracula wanted to kill all humans, and his wife was dubbed a witch – I hardly imagine I was on the list to be spared his rage.”

She hadn’t killed the guards, though.

A part of that was because she knew precisely what that would bring – her own, immediate, death. By injuring them, she’d earned a reputation – but not true malevolence. She could imagine at first it was deemed funny. Then annoying.

Now, here they were. This was what she wanted from the beginning. Now she had it, and had to find out what was really going on in their heads. If they really wanted to purge all of humanity – and her with it. “I’ll stop attacking them if you can tell me why the four of you chose to support Dracula, and if anything has changed now that he’s dead.”

Even now the Forgemaster was hesitant, it was almost adorable to see how he looked to each bit of food with speculation. Debating the cost of the morsel with the state of his hunger, the vampiress had to commend his cleverness. He knew the pangs of cruelty well it seemed, she felt for him on that front. Before she had become immortal, before she had met her sisters. Well, like had not taken to her kindly. A noble she had been forced to lead a life of silence, the perfect figure to be auctioned off to some husband. Alas, this life had been a freedom of sorts, one that she craved even now, as she hoped to continue in their rather ambitious aspirations.

When Hector mentioned he did not know that they did enjoyed the taste of food, Lenore felt some level of amusement and allowed it to linger in her eyes. Her lips quirking slightly as well. “You think you would have been well-versed in what vampires like after being in the company of them for so long,” she admitted. Although from what she had heard Dracula was a different sort of being, one she had never craved to meet. And Carmilla had been the one that insisted she go and allow her plot to take hold, it had seemed ideal at the time.

Truly, as the grey-haired man replied to her firm confirmation that freedom was not an option, Lenore could not help but laugh at the sheer wit displayed. The sound was melodic and sang through the stone. “I won’t lie to you Hector, that would be a horrible way to begin our negotiations,” she mused lightly, still perched on her chair. Still, as the dainty woman sat with an air of authority despite her small stature, a small smile touched her lips in further amusement when he asked if he could not work with Carmilla. She laughed gently again. “Come now Hector, you know how these things work, you can’t ask for a crown on the first day,” she mused. Alas, it seemed her sister had really managed to make a mess of this. “Perhaps you do not have to think of it as working with Carmilla. You could think of it as working with me,” she suggested lightly.

It should not have been surprising to Lenore when Hector went on to barter for clothes and some of his dignity. She offered a small smile in return. “They will be bringing you clothing shortly, your other clothing was unsalvagable I am afraid,” as it was caked in dirt and blood, no thanks to her stubborn sister. “The cost of decency is nothing with me, we need your help Hector, and that cannot be bought with some chicken,” she stated. “But I will extend one offer, a walk in exchange for some answers. Nothing too terribly intrusive, I merely want to get to know you,” she assured easily. “Besides I thought you might like to see the moon, when you are clothed of course.” She knew that the servants would be arriving promptly with her former request.

—-------

As Alina had rebutted with a response, Carmilla felt a smirk wind onto her lips. “Is it?” she seemed nonchalant about the ultimatum she had offered. “See, I really am quite bad at this, it seemed like such a fair offer,” she brushed some of her white locks over her shoulder as she strode toward the auburn-haired woman. Her icy eyes were calculating and refusing to underestimate the woman before her. That would be naive and the downfall of everyone, even her soldiers knew better. Although she was not sure if they had just become inherently fearful of redheads from Lenore, either way, she supposed it was equally irritating and amusing.

“Our guards monitor any potential threat, the price of living in Styria. The price of living on our land,” Carmilla informed smoothly, although her tone stated that this was not something she would debate. No, this was their territory to rule, they had carved it from nothing and no one would tell her otherwise. Yet, she was surprised when she heard the rest of the woman’s arguments and she could not help when a laugh sprang forth.

“All of this because of Dracula?” the vampiress asked in amusement. “No one was to be spared from the suicidal fool, anyone could see that. Anyone with half a lick of intelligence,” she murmured as an image of Godbrand rose forth. “My support of Dracula was for the sake of convenience and Styria, he would not have tolerated our absence. And how does one cut off the head of a snake without risking going into the den?” the analogy seemed to fit well in her mind. Still, her icy eyes gleamed when the other woman inquired about her plans. A dream blazed in her eyes. Not that she would dare to say it aloud to this stranger. “Our goals are to secure Styria if you must know, the world beyond, well” she mused for the word, “It is an utter shitshow, I would not recommend visiting anytime soon.” Feeling the power radiating from the woman she had to admit that she was curious, but there was also need to be worry, on the premise of negotiation this woman might be a formidable ally. Damn it, this was when she needed Lenore to make sense of all these delicate interactions.

The sound of Lenore’s laugh was pleasing. He’d heard Carmilla’s bitter laugh, and even some of the soldiers, for too long that he had forgotten what a happy sound it could be. What a melodious one. Even if her answers weren’t exactly pleasing, or completely encouraging, they weren’t cruel. He was able to relax his posture a bit more with that, and with her promise that clothing was coming.

Apparently, he didn’t need to ask for that. It was already prepared.

He lifted the chicken back up and finally took a bite out of it as Lenore made her proposal for a walk and questions. He wasn’t all that enthused about a walk, considering how long he had been walking. His feet were sore. His legs were tired. His body was still injured. ‘But you need to start winning her trust over, too. Make her think she can trust you.’ That was the only way he was ever going to get his tools. And those were his only path to freedom.

Besides…it might not be too bad.

She wasn’t outwardly like Carmilla, and as much as he ached for food, he supposed he had also ached for an ounce of kindness. A smile. A laugh. A reminder that this world wasn’t utterly shit and there was good out there. Lenore might not truly be good, but as moonlight was a reminder of the sun, so were these false pleasantries a reminder of what was sincere.

Still, “Ah, yes, that’s precisely what I would like to do after walking for days to get here,” he sighed, found a chuckle, and said, “That wouldn’t actually be too bad. Just don’t expect me to walk fast. I suspect the company will at least be tolerable this time.” Without threats of harm, at least. He really didn’t understand why she joined with Carmilla. ‘Perhaps you can also get some answers out of her about that.’

He knew he couldn’t press his luck, though. This was a give and take – and Lenore would likely want to take more in the area of questioning, since his ‘gift’ here was the walk.

At least he was going to have some strength for it. He set the partially eaten chicken aside to try some of the cheese. His stomach was already starting to feel full and threatened to protest too much more – so he may as well try a few of the smaller things to ease it into acceptance.

~***~

The vampiress came forward, and Alina instinctively stretched her fingers out, down, drawing on the energy beneath her feet. Coils of vines and stems wove up a bit from the ground, moved to knee height, but no further. Alina knew better than to threaten overtly, but she wasn’t an idiot; vampires were fast. She didn’t get much reaction time, and less the closer the vampire was. Carmilla couldn’t be allowed too close.

Ishara didn’t seem to be too concerned. She just rolled on her back and stretched out to bat at those same plants which had sprouted and grown in seconds. Then again, not much phased the demon.

The vampiress did laugh, though, at the reasoning. Seemed quite amused with it all, but didn’t answer directly if things had changed. It was implicit in wanting to protect Styria. That wasn’t a total genocide. She did also seem willing enough to not kill Alina on the spot. If genocide were still on the menu, she might not have wasted time talking anymore.

“I know what it’s like out there.”

There was a reason she’d come to Styria. It was better for women. It was ruled by women. Sure, immortal vampires who might be a bit out of touch with their humanity, but women all the same, and it was one of the few places she hadn’t been questioned heavily about not being married, or where she came about anything, for that matter. She didn’t want to leave. She didn’t want to go back into that hellish world where she couldn’t exhibit any form of autonomy without being questioned.

“Considering Dracula’s dead, and you’re not just executing me, I suppose I have little reason to doubt you. I’ll cease my attacks on your guards unless they provoke it by acting in a hostile fashion, and so long as I don’t start seeing a massacre taking place in Styria. Does that sound fair?”

To think she was asking the ruler if her terms sounded fair.

She probably should have left it without question the question, but she couldn’t backtrack now, could she? “Sorry,” she lifted a hand to her cover her face a moment, sighing, before she pushed it back through her hair, “I’m not good at politics either. I suppose that’s not actually a question, more of a statement of what I will do…but so long as that’s not your plan, it shouldn’t be an issue. And if it is, you may as well get things over with now. But you came here to talk, so…I don’t think you really want to kill everyone.” She wondered briefly if this Lenore really would have been good to visit if she was political and vague.

That’s what Alina assumed politics was. A game of vagueness.

Even with the dismal state of their acquaintance as the petite vampire did not prefer to engage in conversation in the company of the dungeons. They were a displeasing place and one that she avoided in earnest. Her sisters would have called her soft when it came to her sheer contempt for the place. But when you looked to the stone walls, dirty cells, and the likelihood of some strange creature crawling across her skin, well, it was a bit unappealing. Even if it were true, she did have a softness that her fellow rulers did not, especially when it came to animals per se. Some might think it a weakness, but she knew that her strength still lurked within and she held the ability to use it so she should so choose. She had merely discovered words to be a far more decisive weapon when they needed to be. Less hassle and mess, and the chance for true cohesion.

As Lenore listened to the words of the Forgemaster, she felt an odd warmth within her cool frame at the deep tenor of his chuckle. She could not place the allure of it, but pressed the thought aside, at least for the moment, it would do her no good to dwell on such matters. At the mention that her company was tolerable, she offered a wry smile in return. “If you can make it to one of the balconies I am sure I can procure us some wine,” she assured, Yes, perhaps her kindness was in order to gain the assistance of the man, but she could not place that there was a genuine want to bring the sorrow from his eyes, one that she had never experienced before.

A balance of harmony was required for diplomacy and Lenore had mastered the forgotten art, or so it seemed. As her red locks cascaded down her shoulders, she was glad to see that Hector at least attempted to eat some of the meal. She would ensure that her sister did not deprive him of such necessities again. Truly Carmilla had left her with her work cut out for her. Basically torturing the man and then expecting his help. The thought alone made her head swim with confusion. Sometimes her sister could become too lost in her temperament and ideals. Even before the sound of footsteps was audible to human ears, she turned to witness the approach of one of their servants, holding clothing in her hand. Lenore rose from her seat to meet the fellow vampire and took the bundle. “You can leave us,” she assured the other who was looking hesitant due to the lack of guards. Instead, she dismissed the other and moved to set the clothing before the bars. “If you need anything in the future in terms of apparel have the guards send for me, I am sure I will be able to accommodate you,” she stated with another small smile, her red eyes dancing with the allure of being a wordsmith.

—-----

Stepping forward, the white-haired woman watched as the vines crept closer to the witch, defensive but not aggressive. Impressive, she thought inwardly but allowed none of that to leak onto her features. This woman held more interesting abilities than Hector’s magical tendency to whine. She wondered if the Forgemaster would be of any use to her in the near future. Trust in Lenore, she reminded herself subtly to keep the irritation from her icy eyes about the happenings that were going on back within her home when it came to politics.

As Carmilla had spoken on what the world was like beyond, her gaze settled on Alina when she confirmed to know what it was like out there. Her own tale had been a tragic one and held led to her immortality, something that she did not regret. A blessing that had allowed vengeance to sing through her veins. “I have no doubt you do,” she mused. Being a witch and a woman, it was a wonder that she was alive to find refuge in Styria. “It is worse now that Dracula is dead, chaotic, people killing people, night creatures joining the fray when they find themselves without direction,” she shrugged absently, soon she would change such happenings.

When offered a question, the vampiress felt amusement linger in her eyes and a smirk find her shapely lips. The red hue of her lipstick standing out against her pallor. Well, perhaps this woman would be quite interesting after all. There were many things about her past that had caused her aversion to men, experiences that her sisters mirrored. Lenore was the exception in that she was willing to be forgiving of the gender, foolish girl. “You need to be bold to survive on your own, to be a witch, and a woman,” she admitted and placed a hand on her hip as she seemed to analyze Alina with debate lingering within her mind at the words of Morana and Striga, surely they had spoken well of this woman and of her abilities, but she was cautious with proceeding.

Choosing a stance of nonchalance, the willowy woman granted the petite redhead some space, as she noted her presence made the other take the defensive. Not that it was unwise, she could cross the distance and put an end to this conversation quite swiftly. “My sisters wanted to request your assistance with our cause, they thought considering your position you might be amenable.” Using a calm tone, it seemed that Carmilla had no interest in playing games of words as Lenore so often did. “I was hesitant of the idea, but now seeing your power,” the energy radiating off the other woman was indeed something behold and quite alluring she had to admit that she was curious. But to outright make an offer that was not her repertoire, no, she was used to others coming to her. With the exception of Hector who she had needed for her plan. And she supposed she could be in need of Alina as well.

“I might be able to manage that,” Hector said, though he wasn’t sure how much wine he wanted to drink. Still, a bit would help with the pain, he knew that. He also knew that after eating he was certainly going to want liquid, and while water would suffice, wine was preferable. He didn’t really think it would be impossible. Despite his sores, he wasn’t that weak. If anything, being forced to march that long made sure he could.

If this had been in the first week of that march, he probably wouldn’t have been able to manage it. After the horses were lost, and he had to walk, it had been hellish. He’d been carried more than once because he just wasn’t cut out for the pace Carmilla wanted to keep. Or dragged. It depended on her mood.

He noticed Lenore’s distraction, and the reason for it became obvious soon enough.

Clothing.

He pushed the plate aside, back towards the bars, as he got to his feet and went to where the clothes were. It was fairly simple, an off-white tunic, and some slacks that looked like they would fit, along with socks and boots, so he wouldn’t be barefoot for the walk and possibly damage his feet. “Well, a few more articles of clothing wouldn’t be terrible. Have something to change in to once every two weeks.”

Poor humor. What else did he have, though?

What else could he expect?

He took the clothes, and hesitated a moment at putting on the pants with the thought of lowering the blanket. He opted to pull them up as far as he could before he had to adjust that, which was actually further than he expected – to his hips – so he was able to retain some of his modesty once they were on. On went the shirt, socks, and boots, and then he set the blanket by the plate.

He didn’t assume he’d get to keep that.

He might barter for a real blanket, later. Or a real bed.

Real, anything.

“Is this presentable enough for your castle?” Hector asked at last. It didn’t feel like it. He really felt underdressed with Lenore in all her finery. Even the guards were better dressed, but he couldn’t expect a miracle. Besides…he’d be uncomfortable in things like that. It really wasn’t his way. That didn’t mean he wasn’t aware of the differences.

~***~

‘I’m not sure that’s worse than the organized cruelty of humanity.’ Alina did not say that, of course. She had to remind herself often that the majority of humans were not terrible. That they were taught it – but it was in those structures they were taught, within those organizations, that they became cruel. Different structures could bring about different results.

The vampiress's words were not wrong, though Alina did not often think of herself as bold. She preferred her solitude too much to consider herself as more than timid, so she considered the flattery false, especially as it was followed by a not-quite offer. An indication that others wanted to make an offer to her, but Carmilla did not extend it.

“You did not believe it was anything substantial until you saw it,” obvious enough, “I appreciate the acknowledgment, but—” Ishara yowled, cutting off Alina’s dismissal, as she got back to her feet and dug her claws into Alina’s skirt. Alina looked down with a sigh, “You know very well—” yowl, “Fine!”

Ishara apparently didn’t want to manifest and state her intentions clearly, but Alina understood well enough. Ishara had been bored with an unambitious human. What fun was there in a witch who hid in a house and gave children sweets? Who sought to use their immortality patiently, rather than act like a human and take it all in, all at once?

Alina hadn’t been born with the typical foolishness of the ambitious, because living had been ambitious enough for her. She let the stems and vines fall to the ground, inert, “I may be interested in assisting, but I cannot promise anything if I do not know what it is I am helping with. I understand securing Styria…and I have no problems with that. I want to protect my home as well.”

The how.

The what.

These were not the things she understood.

Ishara rolled back onto her back, in front of Alina’s feet, purring contentedly again to have gotten her way. Just a little so far, but it was progress. Her orange eyes seemed to be smiling with mischief.

If there had been any discussion with her fellow rulers, the vampiress knew that they were have been hesitant in permitting her little outing. However, the petite redhead knew of her abilities and given the Forgemaster was in his weakened state it made it even less likely that he could overpower her. Alas, the man was too clever to try as he knew the abilities of a seasoned vampire. He had been around plenty through his association with Dracula. As the clothing she had called for arrived it was a needed reprieve from her thoughts on how to best mediate between the grey-haired man before her and her stubborn sisters. They would not be keen on allotting too many comforts to someone they could not trust. She understood the hesitance, but she also knew that in order for any of this to work she would indeed have to grant Hector at least some for of his dignity.

The mention of further clothing caused a smirk to touch Lenore’s lips, but even such a thing seemed tender on her delicate features. “There, was that so difficult? One request that I am happy to oblige.” Truly, it seemed that he was more than accommodating to the barriers that were placed between them. The things that she could not give to the man. Yet, her reply held a playful mirth, teasing in return to the humour that had escaped his lips. As Hector began to dress, her red orbs considered where this interaction might take them. Whether he was playing her with the same level of expertise, which she considered was highly likely given their roles and what they must do for the sake of freedom or in her case for the sake of her sisters and Styria.

Once the Forgemaster was dressed, Lenore moved forth and unlocked the cell, allowing him to exit even if there was a wariness within her eyes, one that warned his fate would be far worse if he attempted anything against her. Honestly, when he asked on if he was presentable, even with the cuts and bruises it was impossible to deny that Hector was quite handsome. Instead, she settled for her wry smile. “You’ll do,” she commented with a lightness to her tone. Leading the way, she left behind the basket and the blanket, intending to leave both for him later on. A grandiose gesture for their first meeting to show that she was serious about making amends for the treatment he had suffered. Allowing her pace to be slowed, she gradually led them to the balcony where the moonlight sparkled across her auburn locks. Awaiting them was two chairs and a bottle of wine set out, one she had been expecting to enjoy herself later on perhaps with the company of one of her sisters. As Lenore seated herself in one of the chairs, she gestured for Hector to take the other as he had been on his feet for multiple days, a month really and all under the hardened pace of Carmilla.

Taking hold of a goblet, she poured a slight amount of the red substance within, the aroma of grapes shifting upward to meet her senses. Lenore extended her offering, no ill expression on her features. Merely the look of a woman that was entertaining a guest. Something she could do with tact due to her skills in diplomacy. “Wine?” she inquired, wondering if Hector found himself craving something other than the water previously offered.

—----

The offer had been something that the willowy vampire had not considered, and was unsure what had prompted such an extension. Truthfully, when she had said she would handle the matter, she had been expecting to kill the witch and return home to another goblet of blood and much less worry. Then she could begin her plan and bring herself into the debate of how to conquer the territories that were at odds first. So many of the vampire lords had died and right now the world was for the taking, something she would be taking for herself and for her sisters. Finally, the advantage would fall to Styria and the four regally ruling women.

As they considered one another, Carmilla smirked when she noted the acquaintance of the witch seemed more than inclined to accept her offer. “It seems that your days of isolation are stagnating to some,” she commented but made no approach of the two. Demon and witch currently bickering between serenity and peace, the other yearning for some interesting action. When the vines slipped away, icy eyes took in the form of Alina, ah yes, this was the progress that she was looking for. Her sisters would have been proud at her ability to bring someone into the fold of their plan when she was normally so accustomed to handling things with bloodshed.

Clever, the how she would attain the protection of Styria was something that Carmilla had not elaborated on in the slightest. “How does anyone protect something they love?” she asked absently as if it was the most obvious question of the world. “Power, something that there is an abundance to take now that Dracula and many of the vampire lords are dead. Humans and night creatures fight amongst themselves, longing for order. We can give them that and extend our borders,” she watched for the reaction to her statement. “Naturally, nothing about Styria would change, humans would volunteer for bloodletting, being compensated for their time,” they did not kill their food, it would have been an enormous waste, especially with their immense army. Rather, much of their army had stemmed from loyal villagers wanting to take up the cause of immortality. “Ammassing control of the chaotic will allow us to protect all within our borders and be a deterrent for anyone wanting to challenge us in the future.”

No, asking for things such as clothing wasn’t difficult, although so far Lenore had yet to demand a price for these things. That would certainly come, likely for requests that went beyond creature comforts. For now, she was willing to help build him up. Make him comfortable. Then he’d start to want things beyond creature comforts. He understood, though he wondered if understanding would be enough to continue to play along. How could he manage this so he didn’t break, didn’t give too much?

And still convince Lenore that he had no alternative agendas. ‘It will be long….’ But what choice did he have? ‘To break.’ And he didn’t want that. No one ever wanted to break, though it happened. It happened to many…but at least he had some advantages of the many. He’d lived a cruel life already. Small kindnesses had their impact. They had from Dracula, even Carmilla, when she had needed him.

Lenore’s, too, were impactful as she offered a small compliment to his attire, and led him through the castle. It was impressive in size, but nothing at all like Dracula’s. It was no technological and magical wonder. That was immediately apparent, even if it no doubt had plenty of technologies that were beyond anything most humans would ever see.

As he took a seat in the chair at the balcony, already set up, he noted, “You planned this from the beginning, didn’t you?” a good plan, if he had been willing, and if not, she could have come out to enjoy the view, and her wine. A view that was quite good, overlooking the grounds, all that Styria and these four had.

A view complicated by her presence in it. Oh, she was ravishing in the moonlight. Likely, would have been more in sunlight, something she could not actually have any longer. There was no denying it, her skin was not quite as deadly white as Carmilla’s, she almost looked alive, and beautiful out of the cell.

But Hector knew her lips still hid fangs, and her eyes were as red as the wine. Red as blood. What she was, who she was with, complicated his natural inclination to otherwise appreciate that view, though he still took the wine from her hands. “Thank you,” he said, bringing it close to scent it. Not that he expected poison, but his stomach still needed time to adjust to the thought of more.

“What is it you care to know about me?” his gaze left her, to go to Styria. “I’m not that interesting.” Perhaps that was a huge lie, but he never found himself interesting, “Certainly not as interesting as a group of four vampires who decide to try and rule a country together without any backstabbing and treachery amongst each other.” Well, in truth, that was interesting. Vampires had always seemed opposed to working together. Even when Dracula tried to unite them to his cause, there had been plenty of petty in-fighting among his generals.

Vampires were like cats that way. Impossible to lead.

Then, he realized, and looked back at Lenore. “You aren’t all actual sisters, are you?” That might explain a lot, actually.

~***~

The vampiress’s query was a fair one. ‘With everything you have.’ Though Alina had seen loss more than success in that area, considering she had not come about her powers until she had already lost what she loved. Until she had nothing, and shied from gaining much more. The less she had, the less to risk. The less to lose. Despite that, protecting Styria was something she had no issue with – and she acknowledged it was because she did not want to lose all that she had gained here. She did not want to start again.

Still, there were omissions.

Alina wasn’t a fool. What wasn’t said, was hidden for a reason. ‘Power.’ And Alina had power, but it was power the Vampiress had been willing to get rid of, too. Which meant she had a different plan in mind. ‘You’re the one who went to Dracula.’ So, something she learned there had inspired it. Her existence was an addition, but not a necessity. An oversight no longer overlooked.

Alina’s expression had become hardened in thought, as uncertain as to how she felt about it outwardly as she was inwardly, because she knew there was more to it than was being said, and she knew she could only go so far before she was in too far. “Extending your borders will take a larger army than you have. I can help with watching it. I…,” she sighed, took the necklace off, and turned it so the vampiress could see the rune. “I can make these, using different signs on the crystals. They serve as markers for territory. I bury them in the ground, and I get an alert whenever a barrier is crossed.”

She drew it back, but didn’t put it back around her neck, “It’s how I’ve always known when any of your soldiers are in the area, and where they are. I can also link them to other crystals, so the crystals will flash. This way your soldiers would have a way to know when any trespass the border.” It would give Alina a headache to monitor a huge border. Her own house could be hard enough when animals crossed.

“But where are you getting these soldiers? More volunteers?” Things weren’t changing, Carmilla claimed – but something was.

“I’m quite curious, as well.”

That was Ishara, the cat actually speaking, before the form shifted. A tall woman – well, almost woman – stood and walked behind Alina. Her skin was nearly as dark as the fur had been, and raven hair cascaded down her back. She was dressed in a slinky dress of white-gold, as if the stars itself had made it, and wrapped her arms around Alina’s shoulders, pulling the human back and grinning over the top of Alina’s head at the vampiress – while Alina just looked cross with Ishara’s decision to show herself right then.

A tail still flicked behind the demon, ending in a spade that was actually quite sharp. Golden horns curled upwards from her forehead, leathery wings were upon her back. “Ishara, by the way. She’s Alina. No idea who you are, but you are very interesting,” she added as a casual introduction, her grin showing fangs, “I wondered when I’d have some fun again. You think humans willing to sell their souls for power would provide it, but,” she gave an overly dramatic sigh, set her cheek on the top of Alina’s head, “I found a safe one.” Which had its perks. Ishara didn’t want to go back to hell anytime soon. The longer the human lived, the longer she remained topside.

Kindness was not something that the auburn-locked vampire had known in her mortal life. No, she had discovered that later when she had found her peace in immortality. Certainly, there were things that she had missed about being human, such as the sunlight, but even that she had long forgotten what it looked like. Besides, she had the moon and a variety of creature comforts, the woman could hardly complain that she was lacking in anything. Despite her need for diplomacy, she found herself enjoying the company of the Forgemaster oddly, perhaps this task would not be so cumbersome after all. She had dealt with plenty that she held distaste for and still had to walk the fine line of politics in order to find victory for her sisters and Styria.

As Lenore freed Hector from his cell and led the other through the castle, her red orbs scanned the hallways, noting the curious glances of a few. Unaware that Carmilla had left to tend with the witch she merely hoped not to run into her sister as it would surely damage the progress she had made with the grey-haired man. Before long they were safely seated on a balcony that was for all intents and purposes her own area which she enjoyed to read and simply bask underneath the starlight. When Hector brought up her planning all of this, a small playful smile lingered on her lips. “Perhaps, and I had hoped you would agree, but the choice to join me is entirely your own,” she assured. If he had refused her offer she would not have pushed the matter further.

As she felt the piercing eyes of the man that dabbled in magic, a slight blush stole to the cheeks of the vampire, something that was an odd skill she possessed as her sisters had long since lost the ability. Still she brushed an auburn lock back from her features. Still, she pressed the odd sensation aside and poured the wine, smiling as he took her offer before pouring her own. “It’s not poisoned,” she stated and took a sip to convey the point. Although it did little since vampires would have a much higher tolerance than mortals for such things. When Hector inquired on what she wanted to know a laugh stole from her lips and into the night air. “Quite the contrary Hector, I find you quite interesting,” she took a languid sip of her wine and studied him thoroughly. “What I want to know is why you chose to work with Dracula? What was in it for you?” she leaned forward her red eyes rapt and attentive to every word that the man before her spoke. Truly, he was more bold than he gave himself credit for and he was evidently a rather gifted survivor and Forgemaster.

“Asking questions before I even get my answer. Very bold of you,” Lenore hummed considering the words. “I doubt we are very intriguing, we are simply seeking a comfortable life to find some peace in this world. We do have eternity to think about after all,” she surmised. Although the reason the women were together was far more complicated than she could ever describe, shrill, it seemed that his insight was expressed further when he made the comment on their link. Lenore, Carmilla, Morana, and Striga had built something together and learned to trust one another unconditionally. As he mentioned them not being truly sisters, she smiled indulgently. “Chosen sisters, we were brought together by a variety of commonalities. Styria was a dream between the four of us, and together we managed to create it, to find a place for us to live safely in the world,” something they had not had as humans, but she did not make that remark aloud as it was rather depressing. Their lives may have been in nobility for some but their suffering was deep and filled with anger personified.

—----

The tiresome dance of political bartering was tiring to the crimson clad woman as she considered the other before her with icy eyes and impassive features. Power was something she had always strove for as it was the only way to be safe, to truly keep them from falling back to the atrocities of the world. It seemed that Alina understood this, she could see it in the eyes of the other woman, the acknowledgement of the horrors that lurked beyond their steadfast borders. Something that she knew was haunting to many and brought various scars.

Intrigued by the sudden production of the crystal and the alerts that it promised, Carmilla could not help but smirk and her icy eyes flashed with a sense of victory. Another piece to the puzzle fitting in. “That will be very useful,” she stated in an almost sultry tone. It seemed that the woman had been quite successful against defending herself against the army of Styria and more impressive she had done so without killing any of them or causing irrepairable injury. “Securing the borders has been the primary topic that we are addressing, but this will ensure that we can station our soldiers and they can be aware if anyone breaches our hold,” already her find was plotting with the skills that Alina could offer to the dream that she had began envisioning.

“Let us say, there is no need for volunteers, but soldiers is something that we will not be lacking,” Carmilla assured firmly. Although this did depend on how Lenore did with Hector, but she had faith in her sister and the petite woman’s ability to soothe any stiff relationship. Pulling her cloak a bit tighter over her form despite the fact she could not feel cold she did not want the breeze to ruin her dress, or rather wrinkle it which was as good as ruining. Things had been interesting before but as she had assumed the cat transformed into something more and there was amusement that settled into her eyes. “It is nice of you to join the conversation,” she stated already feeling the power. Yes, a sold soul, that would explain why this witch was so skilled, it seemed that there was plenty that they had yet to speak on but it was not quite her concern.

As the vampiress listen while the demons disclosed their names, she nodded to the introduction. “I am Carmilla, one of the four sisters of Styria, surely you know of or have met my sisters,” she admitted. As it seemed that this woman had been problematic since she had went to join the ranks of Dracula, not that she had entirely meant anything by it. Rather the opposite it had been a way to see the demise of the other. “So, do we have an agreement?” she asked the others and raised a carefully shaped brow as they considered their choices.

Lenore was confident in her ability to lead others towards her desires. That she had succeeded perhaps made her confidence warranted, Hector couldn’t deny that. He didn’t sip the wine immediately after she assured him there was no poison, letting the flavors of it first mingle with his sense of smell, so he wouldn’t be overwhelmed by it.

Her own query was not unexpected. It was an answer he’d given to plenty of others, though in hindsight, he now felt like a fool for believing Dracula. He loved Dracula in the way a friend could, had wanted to trust him – but he should have seen the evidence of a man besought by grief, so much so that reason fled. He saw it now. He saw his own error in trusting him, just as he saw his error in trusting Carmilla.

How long until he regretted even attempting to play along with Lenore’s game?

Lenore answered his query, though. That she and the others were not blood sisters, but those who chose to come together. He wondered at how they even met. Had one of them turned all the others? Or had they each been turned by other sires, and found their way to each other? He felt the latter seemed more likely, else Carmilla would have a more elevated place – or whoever had done all the turning.

He didn’t really know the history of Carmilla to know who had turned her, let alone the rest. “Somehow, I couldn’t imagine you and Carmilla being true siblings. Too different in appearance,” Hector noted, “but I had to ask. It seems strange that you’ve all come together, all found each other in this world, but stranger bonds have formed. My own, I suppose.” He sighed.

“Dracula was a…friend,” Hector answered, “We met before he lost Lisa. I didn’t really have any friends,” he’d managed to get a place on his own, with his dog…a dog he now realized was likely lost somewhere amidst the ruins of Dracula’s castle, if it was even still…well…unliving. “Dracula came to me after Lisa was dead. He asked me to help him make a better world – herd and pen humans up like the animals they are. I didn’t realize he meant a true genocide. I just thought,” he lifted one hand, tilted it, “that there would be much less of them, and the others would be well controlled.”

He shook his head, his gaze drifted away from Lenore, beyond the balcony, back into memory, “I realize now both options were cruel. Needlessly so, no matter how cruel humans were to me. How cruel they were to Lisa.” He lowered his gaze, “They need something to guide them. Something to better them. But I know now Dracula wasn’t right. He was just…lost.”

Suicidal.

Trapped in grief.

And Hector hadn’t been a good friend. He hadn’t truly helped Dracula. “All that was in it for me was peace and protection,” he added. “Though even that was…debatable. Dracula may have killed me and Isaac at the end.”

Isaac…he wondered how Isaac was doing now.

~***~

The tone of Carmilla’s appreciation for the security alerts was a bit of a surprise, but thankfully the frustration of Ishara’s manifestation was quick to dispel any overthinking. Alina liked Ishara, but she was mischievous on her best days, and downright malicious on her worst. She had come to accept it. Ishara had her flaws, but who didn’t? And Ishara had saved her.

Damned her, but saved her.

‘As if you weren’t already damned.’

“Yes, I’ve heard of all of you,” Alina answered, “though I’ve only seen Striga before,” the large one, naturally she would come out on rounds now and then. Alina recognized her as different simply by the fact she didn’t wear the uniform, and seemed to issue commands too easily, like one accustomed to it.

Lenore, Morana, and Carmilla were the others. That Lenore had originally been intended to see her was somehow not a surprise, though Lenore was the one she knew the least about. Morana she knew from a reputation for torture, and Carmilla, well – Carmilla was generally assumed to be the leader. Even if they were ruling together, all talk assumed Carmilla was the leader of leaders.

Her last question, though, certainly felt like it required more thought, and more than a vague detail about soldiers not being a problem. There was something more to it. Something Carmilla didn’t trust her reaction to. Alina bit her bottom lip, and glanced up at Ishara. It was obvious Ishara wanted to go along, but Alina was careful.

She was still as easy to kill as any human. Assuming one could get close enough to cause her that sort of harm. She had to be careful. So Ishara, recognizing the internal debate, let Alina go only to cup a hand at her ear and whisper, “You’re never going to know what’s going on if you deny them. And you might be able to change things from within.” Or stop it all, if she found it was distasteful, or too close to what Dracula was doing.

She could improve it, too, if she liked it.

She still frowned, but then sighed, relented, as Ishara's hand left her ear and the demoness drew back a step, “All right,” she said, “We have an agreement.”

The night sky bore down on the pair as they perched with wine goblets in hand. As the auburn-haired woman permitted her crimson orbs to study the sky and the stars, there was an odd sense of peace that transcended through her being, capturing her entirely. Taking a sip of the grand liquid, the grapes clung to her tongue a perfect dance of bitterness and sweetness finding harmony together. After she had confessed the nature of her relationship to her siblings, well, it was quite obvious that they bore no relation. “And I thought Striga would have been the one to give it away,” she teased slightly. Even though she knew that she looked nothing like Carmilla either, her sister was tall and willowy, severe but gorgeous in said severity. She was the most resembling of a human, extremely dainty and petite, a warmth that radiated from the cold almost invitingly.

Still, it was evident that Hector was insightful as he went on to question what had brought them together and how it seemed an oddity. Lenore took another sip of wine and considered for a long moment before settling on an appeasing response. “As for how we came together, well, it is a tragic tale really. I’m sure you do not want to be burdened by that,” she mused. The oppressions that they had endured and the horrors that had consumed them all until they found one another were immense and she worked to slip them from her mind to the best of her capacity. Now they were queens with their chosen family and an entire nation to rule.

Yet, when the Forgemaster spoke on Dracula, her eyes turned to him, transfixed with the tale that was to be offered. Even now the compassion that he showed to the fallen vampire was endearing. Lenore felt her expression soften slightly at his words, taking the time to truly hear the tale. “You believed in your friend, Hector,” she stated with kindness to her tone that she did not normally admit.”Dracula was the one who took advantage of the cruelty you endured for his own benefit.” She crossed her legs and regarded the man carefully. “Even now, you still offer him mercy and understanding. We are all a little lost I suppose, it took my sisters and me years to find where we belonged and even then we had to build it.” Destruction had never been their aim, no, they were more for the lines of creation, wanting to find some way to ensure their stability.

“For someone who despised humans it does seem odd that he kept two of them so close,” Lenore mused at the sheer oddity that Dracula displayed when it came to his choice of confidants. It was tragic really, that Hector had been betrayed by his friend and then he had fallen victim to the schemes of Carmilla. “Our own goal is more along the lines of Dracula’s original feat, more tamed perhaps. We wish to secure the borders of Styria, bring order to the nation and expand. Naturally, all of our blood donors will continue to remain willing, as we have no trouble with offering them and their family adequate compensation for their services,” she took another sip of wine. “Without order humanity will turn to cruelty, which you know well. My sisters and myself, we can help to bring that order, and protect our home, that is a future worth striving for,” she offered.

—------

It seemed that more progress had been made with the demon than with the witch. An interesting enough challenge for the white-haired woman, she had expected that someone who had cast herself into damnation would be more than a little tempted by the power offered. Although she supposed she knew little about Alina, what she did see of the woman was she preferred her isolation and held a kindness. This was merely a judgment based on the fact that none of their soldiers had been slaughtered. When judging by the power she felt they could have very well been. Personally, she would not have shown such compassion, but she never had been one to cling to life when it was simply easier for that individual to perish in relation to her current cause.

The fact that Alina had seen Striga was not altogether surprising, especially when their had been conflict with their army. Carmilla almost seemed bored at the notion. “Yes, well Striga is a warrior through and through,” she stated as if it were to answer any further questions on her chosen siblings. They ruled jointly as Queens of Styria, but it was well known that her ideas were what spurned them all forth, that was something that she was not adverse to as she was never one to take orders from another. The idea was abhorrent to her. Thus, when she was mostly considered the figurehead of the siblings, she accepted it and considered it as accurate. The others never protested the idea as they were not eager to be any sort of symbol beyond their role as Queen. It was problematic to some, but she held the position easily and with all the poise of her immortality.

As Ishara seemed to take to speaking with the woman she, served? Or did the woman serve her? Carmilla hardly knew, but she also did not truly care about the specifics. Soul sold for power seemed like a fair trade for her. Although she did not fancy being pulled into some fiery afterlife. Suddenly, she was more than grateful for immortality. Alas, it seemed that Alina saw reason, or the demon did. Truly, it did not matter, perhaps she was better at this diplomatic thing than she thought? Lenore would be proud, or immensely disappointed. “Finally,” she stated with a weary sigh. “Come, let us return, I am in dire need of wine and blood,” she stated and turned to the carriage, taking the time to walk and noting the apprehension of the soldiers when they noted who accompanied her. As she permitted them to open the carriage door and slipped inside she waited for the other woman to join her, a smirk twirling on her lips with authority. “They’re nervous around you, I thought we broke them of that. What did you do to them?” she asked curiously, wondering if the injuries had been that mortifing that they would rather face her wrath of not drawing the carriage closer.

Lenore did not offer Hector the tale of her history, but then, Hector did not offer great details on his own. There was plenty implicit in how he had no friends before Dracula. Still, it was hard for him to imagine what could have befallen Lenore that she would not wish to speak of it. Some thoughts came to mind; not all men were gentle, even if the woman they were before, was. Not all parents were understanding, either. He knew that only too well when he’d burned his alive in their own home after years of innumerable abuses.

Did she have a vindictive streak, too? Likely to be with Carmilla.

He would not ask then, about it. Perhaps there was a time for it later, when he knew he could his hold his own against his natural empathy, something she seemed to understand then as he finished speaking of Dracula, and finally let the taste of wine wash over his senses, dulling the pain by mere distraction. A sip was hardly enough to truly dull it, after all. Yet, his gaze could not return to hers immediately, as he tried to push it all back.

How easy he was to fool.

To betray.

It made him doubt Lenore’s words all the more. How easily she could trick him, too! And for what? He didn’t know. That was the problem, he didn’t know their real goals. Playing along, and being difficult, was apparently not going to be hard for him. He had started to develop a natural inclination to push away and kick back, it seemed. “You seem to have been doing that for years,” Hector pointed out, looking at last at Lenore, “Why do you need me now? Your people will only resent my presence, and the presence of the night creatures. They will grow to hate all of you for it.”

They always did resent what he brought, even if he used it to better lives. No one ever liked night creatures.

No one ever liked him.

“It would be better to continue as you were.”

~***~

“Oh—I—”

Alina had not anticipated being invited back to the castle immediately. This wasn’t exactly how one went to a castle. She didn’t really feel she had anything to prove, but nonetheless, she was caught off guard by casual manner the invitation was given, and the expectance of it to be followed immediately. ‘My plants!’ Well, they’d survive a little while longer without her getting to them. She knew she should have done that before washing up.

Ishara just laughed a bit, “I can tend to things here later,” she reminded, lifting a hand and shutting the door without venturing to it, before slinking back into the form of a cat and following right on the heels of Carmilla, jumping up into the carriage before Alina.

Alina just sighed, but followed, putting the necklace back on and offering the vampire soldiers some wide berth. Their discomfort was obvious, and she could not blame them for it as she stepped up and into the carriage, where Carmilla seemed quite amused with the whole situation of her frightened army. “Nothing severe. Nothing I thought was severe,” Alina said, adding that second bit quickly as Ishara moved into her lap and curled up like any ordinary cat.

She really hadn’t meant to kill any of them.

“I’m sure you’ve noticed that you have…odd weaknesses. Some things aren’t common knowledge anymore, either. Not as prevalent as a weapon. It’s not really effective to use running water,” Alina noted, “A long time ago, they only made stakes out of hawthorn. When they figured out the wood didn’t matter, they started to use anything and…forgot. But hawthorn is an effective, mild poison on its own, when its not aimed at a vampire’s heart. So I just…attacked them with thorny plants that were a part of that family of plants,” Alina gave a light shrug. “I guess the poison wasn't as mild as I thought if they’re that afraid.”

If life was simple then it would be devoid of the pleasures that were found in complete surprise. That much the auburn-locked woman knew. Even as she recalled the life that had been. A petite noble, lovely and fair, her parents had educated but never loved her. Rather, her father saw her as a pawn for marriage, something to use. And her mother, well, the woman had wilted under her ambition. It had been one of those suave men that had come to court her that was angered when she refused his proposal, wanting her as a trophy, a woman for his arm. He had attempted to restrain her, bruising her arm before she pressed away, pushing him with all her might and fleeing. Her father had been livid, the blow he landed on her bruised well, and all she could think of was at least she would not be forced to see any further suitors until it healed. After days of being denied food and companionship, she lounged on her chaise, the dark sky the only thing that proclaimed the passing of another day of her confinement. That was when she heard the commotion downstairs.

When her door had opened, Lenore had been greeted by a man dressed in dark attire, he wore the blood of her parents. When she ought to have screamed she was intrigued, this had led him to turn her. Little did she know even the man who sired her would use her in the same degree, a female vampire, never worth much in his eyes. Alas, at the hands of men she had suffered greatly and yet when she looked to the form of the Forgemaster, there was something about him, compassion upon his handsome brow. Even as he offered insight into Carmilla’s plan, she considered impassively and sipped her wine. “Perhaps, but my sister dreams of a larger Styria, bringing order to more than just the lands we encompass now, this is where we need your support Hector,” she wondered if he could see that she truly cared little for the grandness of such ambition, she was fine with things as they were and the stability that they had managed to cultivate between the four of them.

The pain shone in his eyes and Lenore pondered what the grey-haired man might be thinking, but she made no comment. She could not ask for all his thoughts immediately after all. That would need to be reserved for later conversations to build trust. “Well, it is impossible to dissuade Carmilla from her grand ideals,” she stated playfully and sipped her wine with an impassive expression but mirth lurked beneath the surface currently.

—----

Bringing Alina back to the castle seemed to be the most prudent solution. The vampiress would need the careful opinion of her sisters. And it seemed that Lenore would be busy tending to the mess she had caused with the Forgemaster, the entire thing gave her a headache really. Perhaps it had been a bit of a downfall to torture the man by dragging him along the ground, but life was filled with challenges, perhaps he could see this as a growing experience. Seeing the hesitation of the witch, she quirked a shaped brow in response, but it seemed that the demon was tending to the matter presently. Probably for the best, she wasn’t particularly good at the coddling, or being understanding, or whatever someone would call it. Definitely not her forte in life.

As Carmilla listened to the explanation that was offered about what had happened to the soldiers, she had to admit that she was impressed. There was no denying that the vampires were unnerved. “They are not accustomed to anyone being able to hinder them, they’ve been spoilt for too long. Forgotten what taking a hit is truly like,” well, that would be changing soon enough and she was determined that they would find a way to succeed in this troubling world. Leaning back in the carriage she regarded the other woman with a careful and icy gaze. “And how did you come to know so much about vampires?” she inquired. The magical prowess, well, the woman had obviously been talented and then she had sold her soul to a demon and gained more power. That part was simple really, but knowing about vampires and their weaknesses, that was something that they did not advertise. It was only the Belmont family that had truly been a threat on that front.

Perhaps what intrigued her the most was the sudden interest that she had taken to Alina. There were few that captivated her and she regarded most in dull complacency unless it came to further her plan. Which she supposed that the witch would be assisting with, but there was something more that she was not too keen on acknowledging.

Larger.

Grander.

‘The entire world?’ That was what Carmilla had proposed to him when it was Dracula’s plan they were following. Perhaps she had not said as much to her sisters yet, they seemed far more level-headed, and not full of the ambition and belief in Dracula – not aware it could be possible. Something manageable, first, before she let her ambitions rule and tried for more, more, more.

He didn’t detect Lenore’s emotions about it at first. It was that last comment that lingered and made him wonder, as he took a few moments of silence to sip his wine, swirling the words over in his head as the wine played upon his senses.

No, he hadn’t drank much.

But he’d been starved for a month, and his tolerance was shot. Not to mention, he was simply paranoid. He set it aside, “You’re the diplomat. You’ve lived with Carmilla a while now. Are you saying you know no ways to change her mind to something reasonable?” he asked levelly, before adding, “because I can assure you, she will not stay reasonable. I think even you must know this, if you’re even a little aware of what it is I can do.”

Why was he trying to help them?

It wasn’t as if he intended to let Carmilla’s dreams come true – he needed to work and create night creatures…and then sic them after Carmilla. Not have one of her sisters convince her to see reason and let him go.

~***~

‘There hasn’t been much reason for them to know violence.’ That wasn’t a bad thing, in Alina’s opinion, though she supposed it did make for poor soldiers. Poor guards, too. Striga would likely have to enforce better training from that point on. It was easy for Alina to see the cogs turning in Carmilla’s head.

If they ever stopped.

She barely knew Carmilla, but already it seemed as if the woman never stopped thinking. Not a bad thing, but it couldn’t be relaxing. It couldn’t be enjoyable. Even then, she wondered how Alina knew about vampire weaknesses. “When I arrived here, I learned it was vampires truly in charge. I did not know if I would ever need to defend myself, but I sought knowledge in case. There was plenty of gossip; there’s more than one person in Styria interested in you four. Figuring out truth from fiction was the trickier part, but…Ishara isn’t too stingy with what she knows.”

Ishara acted as if she didn’t hear. She just laid where she was, purring contentedly away. “I couldn’t just ask her the weaknesses, of course. She’s not that generous,” she set a hand on Ishara’s head, and the demon let out a bit of a ‘mrrp’, before setting again, “I had to go seeking information, and when I had it, I could ask for clarifications, or more stories about it. That’s how I stumbled on hawthorn. I learned about stakes, and people kept saying that hunters used to only make them out of hawthorn…so I inquired. Styria has quite a wealth of knowledge on vampires.”

Thanks to Carmilla and her sisters.

Probably not all knowledge they wanted humans to have, as evidenced by what Alina found -- but they were interested in their rulers, and they knew who they were, given the donation and volunteering aspect of the relationship.

Stay reasonable, yes, the thought had plagued the mind of the petite vampire, but she carefully masked it, not wanting to divulge anything too precarious to the Forgemaster before her. Yet, she settled for taking a sip of wine and then finished her thoughts on the matter. Good boy, she thought internally when he seemed to align himself with offering her a perspective that sound more like wishing to aid her than anything. “My sister is ambitious, yes, but she does listen to our advice. I’m a diplomat Hector, it is about compromise, it is the same with those you rule with. You cannot always agree, but there is always mediation.” The tone that Lenore used was calm and tactful, although she was currently unsure of why she was sharing her perspectives so freely. Surely it could not be a good idea, but they did need his help and this trust went both ways.

“Carmilla has grand ambitions, she is a dreamer with enough spark to fuel her desire to see it done,” Lenore admitted gently. “If we were to deny her ideals entirely, she would become irritated and bored, would you truly want to see a bored Carmilla?” she asked with a gentle laugh the sound light as the moonlight gleaned over her fiery locks. “This way she gets to conquer some of the territory she envisions, with our guidance on when it will be too strenuous to upkeep, even with your night creatures there are limitations,” she admitted. Even if she did worry that her sister would still not see reason even then. “As for yourself, consider the benefits of aiding our cause, I am sure we can procure you something much comfier than your cell,” she eluded.

Truly, it sounded as if Hector was almost willing to consider helping them. And yet, Lenore was careful with her gaze. The power this man held was immense and she would not underestimate him like her sister had during their trip to Styria. Rather, she would ensure that they were able to maintain a mutually beneficial ground.

—-------

It was a shame to see the soldiers in such a pitiful state, the crimson clad vampire considered for a moment on the matter and what their preparation must be. Striga had her elite forces, accustomed to battle and honed. Those that Alina had met were merely Scouts and evidently had been avoiding their required training. She would be sure to inform her sister and she was quite certain that would lead to an interesting development with the army. As they would nee them all, vampires, night creatures, and now the magic of this woman. Naturally, that was if Lenore had made any progress with her plan, they needed to act swiftly to ensure that they were able to claim lands before any other greedy vampire decided that it was time to take the world.

As Carmilla considered the comments of Alina on how she had learned such things, a hum stole from her lips in acknowledgement. “I see,” she stated a bit perturbed that the people of Styria would be looking into such knowledge. Especially considering who the rulers of the nation were. “And those you learned this gossip from, would you say that are dissatisfied without rule?” she inquired and there was a dangerous tone to her comment as she began to plot what she might do to traitors. Surely they would have to suffer and Morana was truly gifted when it came to torture. Not that she would fail to participate if this actually held danger to them. No, she would fight for the world that she and her sisters had created together and flourished within.

“The hawthorn stake has not been used in some time, it is a wonder anyone recalls it,” Carmilla interjected and hoped that they would not try such a thing. Thankfully, hawthorn was not the easiest to come across and she was sure that most would be bored whittling a stake after an hour. No, she would wait and speak with her sisters, see if they had heard anything. Not to mention, she would have to see to Alina, making sure that the woman was given the lodgings that she required as she was to aid them in all of this constant madness.

“I, actually, think it might be good for Carmilla to be bored.”

Lenore’s laugh still echoed in his head, her pleasant smile, the gentleness. He understood, again and again, why she was sent. Despite it, he still found that comment came with more thought for helping than harming. Lenore seemed to think that Carmilla would be satisfied with some conquest, and then settle. No, no – she’d grow bored with it.

And in wanting to keep her from boredom, they’d conquer, more and more, until they had bitten off more than they could chew. Until it was too late. All to satisfy, all to compromise, with Carmilla’s dangerous ambition. “She has an eternity. She ought to use some of it to learn how to cope with boredom. Read a book, or something of the sort.” Hector sounded a bit dismissive, but he truly did think Carmilla ought to learn how to just be for a day in her life and not be stirred to acting and dreaming all the time.

He did think of the benefits of aiding. “Don’t mistake me. I wouldn’t mind comfier lodgings. But I’m not seeing a great benefit to helping. I’ve lived in worse than this cell. At least the rain isn’t going to soak me there.” His first few residences…not so much. “But I’m not willing to help Carmilla’s ambitions when I know how far they go. When I’ve seen what she’ll do.” Hesitation, “Unless you can see to it that she will be satisfied with just Styria. Unless you can guarantee that I won’t be used for more than that.”

He had to start showing a little compromise. A little weakness.

He knew he had to feign giving in, eventually, if he ever wanted his tools.

“What is it the rest of you do to fend off boredom, though?” he shifted the topic a bit, “that Carmilla can’t seem to content herself with?”

~***~

Alina knew that tone only too well. She would not offer names, or grand details to the vampiress, only, “The vast majority do not seem so upset. I suppose that is also why they can tolerate me,” something Carmilla might be willing to accept. Vampires and witches were equally despised amongst the common folk. Some more than others. It varied by the person. “I think it is more they were fascinated, and curious. Some may have even wished to avoid offensive things. I know a few worried over garlic use.”

So far as Alina knew, garlic didn’t bother them.

That might set her at ease, though not permanently. Not fully.

She’d look into it. Alina knew that. She just had to hope it led nowhere, that no one was hurt by this bit of knowledge. “Don’t worry. I don’t have the strength to use a stake no matter its material. And I still have most human weaknesses.” Why would she bother telling Carmilla that? Perhaps to even the field, to try and dissuade worry. An old habit, one she hated, one she knew too well from when she had lived with a husband – always try to quell the concerns. Always make yourself less, “I don’t age, and I won’t get sick. That’s…really about it.” Though Carmilla had plenty of other reasons to worry. Alina had proven she knew too much, all the same. The attempt to put her at ease was likely poor.

Shifting topics was better, but to what? “Should I know anything about your sisters before I meet them?” Well, that seemed safer, although Carmilla had seemed a bit bored when she mentioned Striga. Still, it would shift things away from the dangerous to vampires, and all the ways they could be hurt.

A small smirk found a way to the shapely lips of Lenore as the man before her retorted simply. “You have not seen Carmilla bored,” she replied lightly. It was truly a horrifying sight and the vampiress was almost impossible to live with. Rather, it was easier to appease their sibling in some fashion as it always seemed to end up for the betterment of the nation they had built and for one another anyways. Thus, they had learned to empower but always to regulate the body of their contributions so that it continued to be lucrative. However, this time something felt different, that her sister was not going to relent in any capacity that Hector had held insight into her own internal worries was troublesome but she made no acknowledgement to that.

There was something about the Forgemaster that stole a small smile from Lenore as he quipped back with the book remark. Truly, he was quite a pretty human, and rather amusing as well. Still, when it seemed to relent on the assisting, the pallid woman considered for a long moment. Surely it could not be so simple, but there was also the fact that they needed to take a step towards trust if they were even to consider truly working in tandem. “I will see to it that Carmilla does not extend her reach,” she agreed and hoped that her words rang truthful. “I will make it painfully clear to my sister that my aid has limitations and in turn yours does as well,” the agreement settled between the two of them. As she wondered intently on whether Carmilla would abide by her request and the insights of her other sisters. There was a part of her wondering at which point would she have to walk away from the cause, but she could not lose her home and her chosen family.

Yet, when Hector inquired as to what they usually did to prevent boredom in the eternity of their life, Lenore was a bit surprised at his interest as she took a sip of her wine. “We read amongst other things,” she shot back at him wittily, returning the remark. Yet, she actually took the time to answer fully. “Morana and Striga have tactics and the army, between that and being together it keeps them quite occupied,” she admitted. They truly were a sweet couple. “As for myself, I suppose reading, engaging in diplomatic talks to maintain the presence of Styria,” her life was a bit hollow outside of her working title that much she was aware of. “And yourself? How do you pass the boredom Forgemaster?” she asked actually rather desiring the answer.

—----

Even as Alina answered with an expected answer, the white-haired woman was not deterred. She knew that the witch seemed like a kind soul and would be reluctant to suggest anything that might bring harm to anyone it seemed. Such an odd individual, making a pact with a demon and yet basking in isolation and compassion, that was what she sensed. Whereas, if she had power she would use it to take back everything that was stolen from her to get revenge on all those that had ever wronged her throughout her rather long existence. “Let them believe the garlic lore, it is a horri taste,” she stated, the smell was not even that appealing.

It was truly odd, the lightness that Alina regarded her own weaknesses. Carmilla considered the other from her side of the carriage. “You disclose your faults and yet are not afraid of the repercussions,” she stated somewhat perplexed. Yet, there was not much she could do to insist that the woman negate doing so. There was an odd sense of worry blooming within her at the thought of someone learning such things about the witch, one that she swiftly worked to quell. Glad that they did move on to a topic change, but she replied with her usual calm and almost disinterested tone. “Well, as you know Striga is obsessed with her army, between spending time training them and being with Morana, the two are quite content. Lenore you will see is truly quite sweet, a bleeding heart. Always bringing home some sort of stray,” it was true, her auburn-haired sister always seeme to be finding some creature to assist, her heart having retained some humanity throughout the course of all the horrors that had transpired. She could not claim the same sentiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back