• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Black Ravine Hunt [IC]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

VioletShadow

The Lunar Fae
"A deafening roar resounded throughout the continent, causing even the most powerful knights to tremble in fear. It's sheer volume almost made it impossible to tell it's source, save for the tremors beneath the very earth we stood on. Colossal cities fell that day, sucked into the terrifying abyss we now call the Black Ravine."
-King Eltor of the Chubic Kingdom

Scenario:
The Eadigia Empire and the Chubic Kingdom have been at war for decades now. Their best soldiers have been slain, their omnipotent mages are no more, and their resources have been severely depleted. When mind-shattering tremors shake the earth, and the ground rips apart before the citizens very eyes, revealing an endless chasm. A hurried truce is formed, as tar-black monsters pour out from its depths. Both sides know full well they do not have enough supplies to fend off the endless flow of demons, so they quickly form a collective team of various beings, and order them to search for the source of these creatures, and end it before it's too late.

*Do not post here until I have accepted your character as well as created the starter post.*

Eadigia - Arkae | Afternoon | Sunny
The sun is high in the sky, with pure white clouds dotted throughout the vivid blue. It should feel like a lively afternoon, especially admidst the constant traffic of people going about their daily business, but there's a strange gloominess in the air. Heads are hung low, with negative expressions plastered onto their faces, whether that be fear, frustration, worry, or even simple sorrow. Sighs can be heard from every direction; it's as if everyone had lost hope. It's to be expected though, everyone has heard of the catastrophe on the horizon.

Arkae is a small trading town, particularly known for its ironwork and expert blacksmiths. Due to it's geographical location, on top of a steep hill, the townspeople are relatively safe, for now anyway. This place will serve as the meeting spot for the expeditioners, as it is the closest 'safe' spot near the Black Ravine, whilst still being on the edge of the Eadigia Empire for ease of travel for the Chubican members. Specifically, everyone will meet at the local tavern, which is relatively empty at the moment, apart from the couple of drunkards at the bar.

There, they will find a particularly notable figure, appearing out of place with their polished, shining armour against the drab interior of the tavern. Grand rustic red wings lie flat across their back, matching the similarly coloured feather atop their helmet. Due to the thick armour coating their body, it is difficult to discern more detail about the figure, apart from the golden eagle logo of Eadigia embedded on their upper right chest. The figure taps their fingers impatiently, awaiting those that have answered the call of the expedition.
BlueJay1403 BlueJay1403 wafflegirl wafflegirl AI10100 AI10100 Felix Asher Felix Asher AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Captain Spooks Captain Spooks

Jason was on edge beyond what he had ever felt possible. Despite the smile on his face and the sun in the sky, Jason didn't feel happy, excited or at all good about what he was about to commit to. He walked mainly through the backstreets out of habit, attracting very little attention save for a few small animals in the same alleys. What was he doing in the empire? Why couldn't they have held the meeting in the valley? Nonetheless, he reached the location specified on the notice. "The Wyvern...Whyvern...Whivern? I think this is the place."
Trying to cross the busier street as fast as possible, Jason made it into the tavern where the majority of eyes were, understandably, on the 3'0" fox boy. Ignoring the staring that he had gotten used to, Jason looked down at the piece of paper he was holding. 'Look for the smug bird'. "Huh, I guess this guy isn't well liked." Once Jason found the figure of who he could only assume was an avian soldier, Jason introduced himself. "Hello, sir. Are you the one mentioned on this notice?" Jason held up the notice for volunteers to go into the ravine. "Because I want to volunteer."

The bumps on the roads irritated Elayne. The whole trip was a tragedy. This was her first time leaving the Chubic Kingdom, she expected it to be a merry journey, with the wind cooling her skin as she gazed at the beautiful scenery they pass by. Instead there were just miles and miles of desert and mountains from afar and the heat made her unbutton the collar of her dress. Despite of her boredom and irritation, her stomach were in knots. The truth was she's nervous. What will she do once she arrive at her destination? Perhaps she could ask some knights for directions but she has to remember that she will be stepping in an enemy's territory. Even though the Chubic Kingdom and the Eadigia Empire formed a truce, she couldn't be certain.

All she knew was to find a tavern in the town of Arkae and find the person who's in charge of recruitment. That's it. Her father weren't kind enough to provide her a full guide on what she would do and how she would act. What was he thinking? He was practically sending his daughter to a suicide mission. It's as if he wanted her gone. Does he? Elayne wasn't sure anymore. She could still recall their conversation the day before her departure.

"Your brother is dead."

It was the first thing Elayne heard when she entered her father's quarters. He was facing the large window in a military stance with his hands behind his back. She couldn't believe it. Riyad, her only brother, is dead. They weren't very close, but still. He's her sibling, they grew up together along with their older sister-Isra and when their father's wrath was released upon them, they offered comfort and understanding to each other.

Sir Varun Ocalillan, head of the Ocalillan clan turned to faced her. "He was killed on the first wave of the Black Ravine."

The words sent shivers to Elayne's spine. She heard the news about the monsters that emerged, killing everyone at sight. It would take a miracle to survive it.

"This is an unfortunate time for our family. It is with great sorrow to lost a good son." His voice were like jagged glaciers. There were no hint of emotion. Perhaps disappointment, but never sorrow.

"It is. He was a good brother to me and Isra. He will be missed," she said, looking down at her feet so her father won't see the tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

"Anyway," he said, immediately changing the subject like it was nothing."The king released an announcement earlier. The kingdom and the Eadigian Empire are looking for individuals who are willing to venture into an expedition to find the source of these god-forsaken creatures." He poured ale to a glass and took a sip.

Elayne knew where their conversation is heading.

"Father-"

"You will go," he firmly said while setting the glass down with much force. "Your cousins are cowards. Upon hearing the announcement they begged their parents to not make them join the expedition. And I expect that you aren't like them. With your brother's death, this would taint our reputation and I won't let that happen."

"What about Isra? She's a better mage than I am." Elayne's heart started beating faster. She knew she couldn't refuse to her father.

"Your sister is to be married to the Duke you fool. Now, I shall arrange you a passage to a town in Eadigia Empire. There you will go to a local tavern and find a knight who's in charge of recruitment. You may start packing your belongings now and I'll give you your pocket money tomorrow. You are dismissed."

Elayne turned her back and as she opened the door her father called her again.

"Yes father?"

"Don't disappoint me."

Elayne's head hurt at the sudden realization, that she-a noble girl that could barely even cast a stable magic spell-was a goner.

Last edited:
Alois was, by no means, a true Wing Clipper. While she had gone through years of training, it truly wasn't enough for her to graduate. Alois knew that and yet she was being forced into a mission that would require the highest of skills to accomplish. She remembered it vividly - as one of the few apprentices remaining after the attacks, they were tasked for more and more missions that were above their skillset. They were forced to adapt quickly or else they would suffer the same fate as their masters and late apprentices. The beasts - demons - were quick to adapt to their surroundings and most of the less defended villages fell prey to these mysterious creatures. The Wing Clippers had often been sent out to protect said villages and it only proved to reduce their numbers. In between missions, retired Wing Clippers had taken up the bow and the sword once more to train the young ones. But their inability to fight was glaringly obvious, leaving the young apprentices to train harder than ever.

The Wood Elf hated remembering the Black Quake. It happened so fast that none of them anticipated it. The Wing Clippers had been detached to a choke point near the border where they had rained hell upon their winged enemies. Then the earthquake. Then the monsters. It wasn't long until Chubicans and Eadigians joined forces to try and survive in the choke point. Tired and outnumbered, it was a mindless slaughter. Winged Eadigians managed to carry some of them away - Alois included - and escaped the complete genocide in the face of the demons. Chubicans made the trek back to their kingdom with grave news that simply piled up higher and higher as they passed each ravage village to get back to their capital.

She felt her medallion tighten around her neck. One thing had always stood out to Jormungandr members, and that was money. But Alois always felt inclined to help if not for her own injuries and lack of resources and manpower to actually be of any use. It wasn't long until they finally arrived back at their capital only to be sent out after only two days of rest for those who had minimal injuries. There was no time to rest as the relentless attacks of the demons pounded on every defensive position the Chubicans had - and the Eadigians were not doing any better.

Which led her to this moment in time as her hands around her bow tightened. She looked out of the caravan and she was sure that the road had seen more bloodshed than she could imagine. This was once a route that was used by both armies for frontal attacks - Alois knew that since she had been to that place multiple times in a daring attempt to route their enemies. Allies now. It had been agreed that they needed to work together or else the demons would overtake them and destroy the way of life that they'd always been accustomed to. Even if it was war, some parts were still undisturbed by it. These monsters were relentless in attacking any civilization that they could - slaughtering and decimating everyone and everything in its path. Truly, it was a scary uphill battle.

"Ma'am, we've arrived at Arkae."

The voice of the coachman snapped her out of her thoughts. She ducked her head down in respect. "Thank you." She said in a soft voice before vacating the back of the carriage. She was outfitted in her apprentice armor which truly did put her off. This wasn't like their normal escapades of hit and run, but she was going to have to delve into the very first expedition in the Black Ravine. She wasn't sure if the enchantments could even hold against the powerful blows of the monster's claws. Nevertheless, she accepted it - wearing the badge of the Wing Clippers proudly on her chest and the medallion of Jormungandr was still around her neck. Alois will never be not proud of her position in life. Hiding who she is did not settle well with her. Giving the coachman his payment, she began her walk around Arkae to look for The Wyvern Tavern where they were designated to meet.

The pit in her stomach only seemed to dig further as she found the tavern. Alois was keenly aware of how impossible this mission sounded - it seemed like they were just going to be offerings to the demons. Food. The Wood Elf quickly shook her head and trudged on inside, ignoring the nervousness and fear that was slowly creeping at the back of her mind. Her eyes landed on the heavily armored male and his folded wings. Alois became conscious about the badge she was wearing. In terms of the war, the Wing Clippers and the Avian soldiers were always the ones to throw hands - or in their case, arrows and spears and swords. While she had peaceful interactions with the winged beings prior to this event, thanks to the emergency evacuation from the front lines which led her to make an acquaintance with her ride, Alois still had doubtful feelings that there might still be some bad blood.

Her eyes flickered to the boy who was holding up the volunteer sheet for the expedition and she couldn't help but think that he might be a tad bit too young. Her eyes traveled to the fox features of the boy. A vixen, the thought came to her quickly. Magic was something he could offer, perhaps? Nevertheless, Alois wasn't one to pry. She turned her attention back to the armored male. "Alois Vanviel of the Wing Clippers squad. Designation: Apprentice Archer. Reporting for duty sir." She said, easily falling into her training as a soldier. She had brought a curled fist to her chest, an act of respect in Chubican customs - certainly one the armored man knew. The leader of the excavation would have already received word of her participation as it was the government's decision to put her forward. There would have been more if not for the fact that they needed some to defend as well. Alois had simply been the more skilled out of her fellow apprentices but she knew that it only fell under archery. Others had her stumped in close quarters.

Robin readjusted the strap of his satchel as he looked down the street, peering past the weary figures and hurried folks that crossed his line of sight. Now according to the directions that he'd been given a couple of hours prior, the tavern that he was looking for would be this way. Whether or not those directions were accurate- well, he wouldn't know for sure. He wasn't familiar with the layout of this town, having never ventured out this far before. It had been a fairly long journey, with hours of walking interspered by rides from other travllers when they were kind enough to give him one, and all his weary body wanted now was the reprieve of a soft bed- or even a chair would do.

Luckily for him, the rhythmic thud and squeak of a wooden sign slowly swinging in the stale breeze caught his attention, and Robin spied the tavern up ahead. Lengthening his strides, he ducked around a couple of folks and finally found himself at his destination.

The sounds of the outside world grew muffled as he stepped inside, and the golden crest of Eadigia caught his eye instantly. For a moment, Robin stiffened and almost turned right around, but he steeled himself and continued inwards. He barely knew anyone who was currently active in the military, so it was highly unlikely that they'd recognise him. He shifted his glaive slightly and ran a hand through his hair, as if a couple of moments of tidying would offset the state of mild dishevelment that travelling had put him in.

As he neared the knight, he took in the others that had gathered around- an archer from their rival kingdom, and a boy? For a moment he thought that it might've just been somebody's kid, but there was no mistaking the form that he held. To say that Robin was surprised was an understatement, but he schooled his expression into something more neutral before he said anything. It would be rude to assume somebody's abilities before they had barely introduced themselves.

"Good afternoon sir," Robin said, dipping his head in respect, "Robin of Eadigia, pleased to make your acquaintances." He angled himself to face the other two as well for the last part, curiously observing some of the people he would be spending time with for a while. He found his attention wandering back towards the archer, to the symbols that she bore so proudly on her uniform. Their meaning was lost on him, for he had never been remotely near the frontlines of the war, and his father back home had been concerned with the matters of Graycairn than the faceless enemies miles away. Well, not as faceless now. Robin was aware that this expedition was a joint effort between their countries, and he was more than willing to set aside their differences to deal with the larger threat, but he wondered if that could be said for the others who would be joining them.

“You aren’t going to learn a thing in there,” a gruff voice said.

Cephilia momentarily lifted her eyes from the pages of the book she was reading and studied the man seated across from her in the carriage, who grinned back at her through a pair of silver-framed glasses perched low on his nose.

“I swear, you’re like a bad student cramming before your final examination. A book isn’t going to make you a warrior, girl,” the man said, chuckling at her. Each laugh made his belly quiver. Years of living the well-fed lifestyle of Eadigian nobility had made him portly and rather full of himself… and not just in the physical sense.

“What would you know?” Cephilia said, snapping the book shut and staring out the window at the passing countryside. “You’ve never fought a day in your life, sir. You’re hardly one to give advice on the matter.”

“True, I’ve never fought,” the man said, a little more seriously now. “I have people for that. And so do you. That’s why this whole thing is-”

“Necessary,” Cephilia said, firmly.

“I was going to say ‘silly.’ But suit yourself.” The man folded his arms and dipped his hat low on his head, probably about to go to sleep once again, as he had for most of the journey. “I’m only doing this because your father and I were old friends.”

“It matters not to me why a person does a good thing, only that it be done,” Cephilia said.

“Yeah…” the man muttered. “Taking his daughter off to die in a black pit is a ‘good thing.’ Humph… you must’ve hit your head real hard one of those years in Chubica.”

Cephilia turned to glare at him. “If you don’t like it so much, why did you come? You own the third largest caravan company in all of Eadigia. I paid for eight wagons to transport weapons and gear to the frontlines, not for you to join me in my carriage and offer unwanted commentary. No one asked you to personally accompany me to my own funeral. You have people for that, no?”

“I see Chubica hasn’t dulled that sharp tongue of yours,” the man said, more amused than offended. “And we’re the largest, actually. Not third anymore. The other two…well, you know.” He pointed down and she knew exactly what he meant: the Black Quake. “The world is changing. That’s why I came. I want to see the devastation with my own eyes.”

“And then slither back to the safety of your mansions and servants and tell all your aristocratic friends how dreadful it is, while they sit on their asses and do nothing.”

“Correct,” he said. “Courage is a rare thing. There is no shame in not having it. I commend your bravery, Lady Valdergeuse, but someone has to look after the cowards. ‘Why not me,’ I say.”

“Yes, of course. They should be watched over by one of their own,” Cephilia said. “All the more reason I should go. I don’t belong here. There is only one place for the courageous and we both know where that is.” She pointed down, just as he had.

“In the ground, about six feet under? Well, at least we can agree on that,” the man said. Clearly, he wouldn't be getting to sleep any time soon, so he fetched a cigar from his breast pocket. "Got a light?" he said, which earned him a glare from Cephilia. "Oh, come on. Your mother was a fire mage. Don't give me that look, girl. I know you can do it."

"Be a shame if I burned you to ashes."

"If the rumors are true, you can do far worse," he said, still holding out the cigar. "You didn't get those red eyes from your mother. That's for certain."

She leveled her crimson gaze with him, but he didn't blink. For a self-proclaimed coward, you've got some nerve. "That's quite an accusation, sir. Give it here," Cephilia said, extending her hand to him.

"I didn't accuse you of anything. Rumors are rumors," he said with a shrug before handing the cigar to her. "That's my girl. I always was your favorite uncle," he said jovially... right before Cephilia tossed it out the window.

"No smoking in my carriage," Cephilia said as she returned her attention to her book. She was about to pick up where she’d left off, when she felt the wagon beginning to slow. She looked to the window once more and found they were at the base of an enormous hill.

She hadn’t been to Arkae in an incredibly long time. Her family had some history here. The Valdergeuse Company sought talented smiths all over Eadigia. Her grandfather, in particular, had been very aggressive in his recruitment tactics. The smiths who joined the Company received the best materials, the best clients, and Valdergeus’s personal certificate of quality, which easily doubled the selling price of anything they made. Naturally, the smiths who didn’t join found themselves outclassed and went out of business. It turned neighbor against neighbor, brother against brother.

Her father had tried to rectify that by recruiting all kinds of smiths, regardless of skill level. The war needed simple weapons and gear, not gilded masterpieces fit for royalty. He came back to Arkae to make a deal, but was promptly dismissed. There were no pitchforks and torches, but the people of Arkae made it very clear his ‘help’ wasn’t welcome here, even the ones who had worked with his father in the past. Cephilia was there that day, nearly twenty years ago. The great Vicente Valdergeuse, a man who kissed the emperor’s hand, was turned away by a bunch of dirty men in blacksmithing aprons. It was very humbling. Hilarious, too, if she was being honest.

And now she was here again, with eight wagons loaded to the brim with Valdergeuse weapons, armor, and gear, headed for the frontlines. They had even picked up a few soldiers, adventurers, and mercenaries along the way. Anyone willing to wield a weapon and hold the line fell in with the caravan. On her way here, she found a surprising number of people moving toward the crisis. This was eclipsed by the number of people moving away from it, but if even one person was willing to venture into hell, that meant there is still hope.

The world certainly is changing, Cephilia thought as she disembarked from the carriage and looked up the hill to the town. For the better, I hope.

The caravan had come to rest by a small stream that partially encircled the hill atop which Arkae stood. Cephilia splashed some water on her face and stretched her big, black wings, giving them a quick flap before shrugging on her red overcoat. The wings folded in, becoming surprisingly compact. As she did so, she noticed the nobleman watching her from within the wagon.

“Another strange fashion you picked up in Chubica, eh? There’s no point in hiding them, you know," her uncle said. "You’re still Eadigian, only now you look like an Eadigian hunchback,” he teased. Cephilia ignored the man. If she wanted to hide her wings that was none of his damned business and she was growing tired of every birdbrained idiot saying the same thing. It had nothing to do with Chubica.

“Water the horses, and make sure everyone’s ready for the last leg of our journey,” Cephilia said to the driver seated atop her carriage. She didn’t even realize how angry she sounded until the driver hopped to attention with a stuttering, ‘y-yes ma’am,’ and quickly began unfastening the bridle. Cephilia sighed. “I’ll head into town and find whoever’s in charge around here,” she said, far more gently. “Thank you.”

Cephilia trudged up the hill, her mix of steel and leather armor rustling with each step. It wasn’t particularly noisy, but felt unbearably loud amidst the midday quietude. If that stupid man hadn’t kept bothering me, I might have gotten to the chapter on moving in armor, she thought. Fortunately, the town proper was a bustling hive of activity, with people moving every which way. With so much going on, it kept her mind from zeroing in on every little detail. After the long carriage ride, she needed this.

The town hadn’t changed much in two decades. She knew her way to the tavern and went there directly, not stopping until she was on its doorstep. Cephilia took a deep breath and clutched her golden eagle pendant for a moment as she focused on her vitals. Everything was fine. Her heart rate was slightly elevated, but that was to be expected. And she didn’t need healing magic to tell her that. With a sigh, Cephilia tucked the pendant into her bosom and pushed her way into the tavern.

Robert King

Robert trudged the streets aimlesly. He had a lot on his mind. First being summoned by the Monarch was something he had never thought to happen in his life. The odds of that happening were similarly close to him having a wife. Very very rare. He looked at the local taverns from a distant. His face was plastered on almost half of them with the name engraved below it, "Banned". Not a great photo but it looks very charming. Also good for the owner to look for a good photo. He could enter any one of them and still get served, but of he did that, he would be charged triple the normal cost. "Damage Insurance" as they put it. Bloody thieves.

As he walked towards the designated bar, the conversation ran in his head one more time.

"Thank you for taking the time to see us on such short notice." The Monarch's steward said, his hands behind his back as he maintained eye contact with Robert.

Robert sat down on a stool and helped himself to a serving of one of the finest wine he has ever tasted. "Don't flatter yourself. I am here for the wine. And I am taking one bottle with me."

"Very well. We are at troubled times. The Black Quake surprised us all, the whole kingdom is at danger of being consumed by the Demons. We are very desperate times and conventional means are not to be used in such times. We need someone like you. Someone who has little regard for rules. Someone with your talents. We have also received word that you have encountered these creatures and survived.."

"I am going to stop you right there. First of all, great wine. I can see why the Monarch loves sitting down on his throne. Second of all, i did not survive, i had to escape. These things...these demons as you call them, they are different. Very much different from the legends we lie to our children so that they sleep early. These..demons are not to be messed with. But why call me? Why me specifically?"

"Because I recommended you." A well built man stepped forward from the kitchen, blood stained overalls and a cleaver in hand. The voice was all to familiar. "I can see your attitude still hasn't changed."

"Hello father." He finished the drink in hand and went to hug the old man. " Good to see you. How is everything at home?"

"Your mother misses you as usual. I don't. But it is good to see you."

The steward cleared his throat to turn the attention to him. "This is pressing and the fate of the two kingdoms lay in the hands on some brave men and women who have volunteered to go to the Ravine and end this plague once and for all. We are prepared to give you anything that you want..within reason of course if you choose to venture with them."

"Well i can think of a few things. One, a parcel of land for my parents. It has to have a loom and a small pen for sheep and a barn which acts as a slaughterhouse. My parents have lived in a small house for far too long. They are old and require free space to walk around."

A loud slap to the back of the head from his father was he needed to never call him old again.

"Second," he said as he rubbed the back of his head. "Another parcel of land, next to them. And monthly deliveries of this fine wine twice a month. And a wife."

The steward consulted with the monarch for a few minutes. The silence of the room was almost deafening. The steward returned. "The monarch has agreed to your conditions. Except the wife part. Nobody likes you that much."

He turned to his dad and smiled, "At least i tried. Okay, where do the volunteers meet?"

He finally reached the tavern, and when he reached the door, he realized he was banned from it. He tore the image from the door and walked inside.

"Your still banned!!" The patron said as soon as he walked in.

"I have no idea what your going on about." He sat down and crossed his legs.

"You are still banned. But if you insist, then you know the price."

"uurrggh fine. I'm not paying though."

"Then get the hell out."

'Are you a bit curious to see my very handsome face? And why i'm not paying?" Robert smiled charmingly.

"No. The next thing out of that charming smile of yours is your going away for a long time."

"Well I am going for a long time."

"Would you look at that, my prayers were answered. My bossom is still small but I'll take it."

"Anna, we both know your body is always beautiful. And I am sure it will be much more elegant in my bed."

"Try again."

"I would like a beer please. And bill the man with the royal armor. Tell him its my entrance fee to his expedition."

The patron smirked at Robert, turned around only for him to see her figure walk in front of him majestically to get his beer. "Wow. The view never changes."

Loius LeitnerLocation: Arkae
Interactions: ---

She could still hear it in the back of her head - the seemingly endless sermon that the officers gave her when she insisted to go, Nora and Heron's rather intense talk on her decision, and several more opposing to her going to this, especially with her current mental state. But that didn't matter, she had to go. That's one thing she was sure of. She gently tapped the circlet she wore, and took a deep breath - clearing her mind and reminding herself why she was here.

Finally, she entered the bar. It had more patrons than what one would expect, mainly due to people trying take away their mind off the world's grim situation by drinking and merry-making. To the average person, that would be normal. To Loius, however, that was unacceptable - instead of doing something about it, they'd prefer to distract themselves. What a pathetic pile of cowards.

After a few seconds of scanning the bar in stationary, her sight finally landed on the right person - the one standing out. A winged figure that bore the Eadigian crest on its garments. She approached the table the figure was sitting down on, which already had a growing company. Several of which who introduced themselves.

The Empire might have formed a truce with The Kingdom, but that doesn't necessarily mean they could still trust these...people. And that idea was clearly present in Loius's cold, analytic gaze that fell towards them. After a while, she finally decided to introduce herself. Not to the others who were present, but to the one who bore the Eadigian crest.

"Loius Leitner, reporting for duty.", she spoke with a salute.

Eadigia - Arkae - The Wyvern Tavern | Afternoon | Sunny
As the focus of attention in the room altered, the figure shifted their helmet to face the young Vixen walking up to them. After a momentary pause, a deep male voice rung out from his helm, seemingly perplexed in tone. "Boy, where did you get that flyer? And where are your parents?" He sighed, as he swivelled round in his seat, his armour rustling slightly from the sudden movement. Cautiously, his bent down to reach the same level as the Vixen. "I do not think you quite understand the meaning of this notice." He delicately pryed the notice from the childs hands, which appeared quite odd against the intimidating armour set he wore. "This is not a field trip child. The chances of death for this venture are incredibly great, moreso for an inexperienced lad such as yourself. If you are lost, there should be a guard patrolling the area outside, speak with him for instructions." He spoke dismissively, yet still in a gentle tone.

Whether there was look of disgust or anger on the Eadigian soldiers face, no one could tell, as a clear member of the Chubican army made herself known. He silently nodded in response to her introduction, and gestured towards a chair beside him. "Greetings Ms Vanviel, please take a seat." As he spoke, he brought up his three middle fingers to his collarbone, in response to her respectful gesture. Such acts weren't quite as reknowned in Eadigia, but this man had clearly been taught of them.

As more members of the expedition began to file in, the figure greeted them similarly as he did with Alois. It seems he was waiting for the majority to arrive before introducing himself or beginning any significant discussion. He may have noticed the black and red armoured figure at the bar, but he gave no reaction, perhaps choosing to ignore the outrageous knight. Although one might notice that his body was strangely tense. It was only once his helm had turned swiftly to the corner of the room, that the cause was found.

It seemed that the elfs introduction had not gone unnoticed. Glares of hatred and harsh whispering were seen in the corner of the room, creating a rather tense atmosphere, despite the minimal amount of people present. One of the drunkards even slammed his fist against the table, before beginning to walk out and violently brush the elf aside. That was until, the crested knight spoke out.

"Apologize." His tone was low and threateningly calm. The avian spread his wings intimidatingly, preventing the drunkard from leaving.

"Ah? Why should I? This monster is one of those disgusting goons which killed ma wife!" His words rung through the others ears, despite his drunk slurring, as they openly began to show their revultion and anger at the young elf. "If I order you to apologize. You will do so." The soldiers voice commanded, almost like a growl with his growing impatience. Hearing a defying silence, he continued. "You do realize she may be one of the people who will save our Empire?" After a moment of recognition, as his eyes flit swiftly to the elf, he grumbled in frustration and walked angrily through the door, brushing past a red-eyed woman.

"My apologies for that Eadigians behaviour." The Eadigian knight nodded quietly. His helm tilted towards the clock, realizing it was around half an hour after the scheduled meet up time. He mumbled under his breath. "I'd like to hope this isn't everyone." He spoke in exasperation, as he eyed the three figures beside him.
BlueJay1403 BlueJay1403 wafflegirl wafflegirl AI10100 AI10100 Felix Asher Felix Asher AnonyMouse AnonyMouse CkSmalling CkSmalling Reinhardt Reinhardt

Jason completely understood the older avian's statements and condescension; he had rehearsed a response during the days it took him to get there. "I got this flyer on a noticeboard in Armistice. My parents and 'masters' were engulfed by that gaping black ravine when it opened." Jason appeared uncomfortable at the soldiers contact but tried his best to mask it.
"If I was not aware what this expedition was for, I wouldn't have come here. If I thought this was a trip for fun or research, I would've stayed in the Armistice Valley where I had something resembling a home. If I was lost, I would've given up at the border. I am very serious about this. Despite my size, the danger of this expedition, the reason for it and most of all my age; I am fully devoted to uncovering where those monsters are coming from and playing at least a small part in stopping them." Jason stopped to regain his breath. He had a surprisingly good vocabulary for a child.
Jason stepped back. "So, unless there is some law stopping me, I would very much like to join this expedition."

(Is this okay? I hope it is.)

Cephilia arrived in the tavern just in time to see the winged knight kneel before the Vixen. Is that what he is? she thought as she observed the exchange. She had never actually seen one, though she’d heard stories of these diminutive fox-people. She had passed through the Armistice Valley twice, but did only that: pass through. She hadn’t stopped to see the sights.

The Eadigian’s response was exactly what she expected, but his tone, his mannerisms, the way he lowered himself to the child’s level and spoke to him almost as an equal was… admirable. A lesser man would have rudely shooed the child away. A lesser man might have invited him to join this suicide mission and die young. The middle ground this knight chose was worthy of respect and Cephilia immediately decided this was a man worth following.

So, why did she still feel so uneasy about it? Was it right to deny this boy his revenge? The Armistice Valley lay awfully close to the Black Quake’s epicenter. Who are we to tell him he cannot go?

Cephilia hardly had time to reflect on that before the elf spoke. Wing Clipper. She knew this could happen. She knew she might have to work with one of ‘those people.’ Cephilia thought she would be prepared for it but now, standing in the same room as one, she felt anger welling up inside her.

The sound of a fist slamming down on a table snapped her out of it. Apparently, she wasn’t the only one who despised Wing Clippers. As Cephilia observed the exchange between the avian knight and the angry patron,she felt her mood shift. It’s not as if his rage made her own disappear. She still felt it burning in the pit of her stomach. But it did give rise to an even stronger urge: the urge to be better than him.

Cephilia stood a little straighter after the man shoved past her and out of the door. She took a deep breath and approached the Eadigian knight’s table, meeting his gaze as she did so. Well, she gazed into the dark slit in his helm. There must be eyes in there somewhere, right?

“Lady Cephilia Valdergeuse of Highgarden,” she said, curtseying before him as she pinched the hem of her armored skirt. As she straightened, her gaze swept across the others gathered nearby, from the Vixen to the young man, the female soldier, the fellow in red and black at the bar... “I look forward to working with each and every one of you.” Lastly, her gaze fell on the Wing Clipper, “Every one of you,” Cephilia repeated, extending her hand to the elf with a warm smile.

Alois was surprised at how gently he put down the Vixen. Despite looking like a gruff soldier, he sounded like he was actually pretty nice. However, it would seem that the young Vixen knew exactly what he was getting into and still wanted in. It was odd. There were only a few people who would want to volunteer for something like this mission - this suicide mission. It was an admirable trait to see in someone so young but she was unsure what she felt about this whole situation.

Then the soldier turned to her - and she was unsure what the monotone voice meant. But at least it was better than being outright rejected for what she stood for before. Her face eased into a small smile as the gesture was returned and she bowed her head again. "Thank you sir." She was about to actually sit down as the others poured in and introduced themselves. But she was completely aware of the fact that there were already people whispering. Her whole body froze. She had never been a position where people spat at her - people in the Chubican Kingdom praised her of course. She was never exposed to the other side of the conflict. She could barely hear the others introducing themselves as if the whispers themselves were deafening.

She flinched when someone slammed their fist against the table and he brushed harshly against her, pushing her back. She didn't fight the action of course and kept her gaze strictly at the table. Alois knew that fighting would just end up tarnishing what little reputation she had right now. And what's worse, she understood why they were angry. But was surprised her was when the soldier stood up and unfurled his wings to her defense. The reasons pounded at her mind. She will never say that her hands were clean. She killed without mercy before. Many times. The badge that gleamed against the light was enough proof of that. And she thought about it every night.

Her fingers began to play against the other's glove. I'm sorry. The words didn't fall out of her mouth as the drunkard left. She raised her eyes to the soldier. "It's okay." She forced a smile but her voice cracked. Either she didn't notice or she didn't particularly care about how vulnerable she seemed, in any case, she took a seat to the gestured place. She slowly stopped fiddling with her gloves nervously as she took a deep breaeth to calm herself. It's fine. They won't be the same right? They're going to be squadmates so that meant they had to tolerate each other... right? And she can't be the only Chubican there... right?

She looked towards the newcomer. Lady Cephilia Valdergeuse... it sounded like she was from a high ranking noble house. Their eyes locked onto each other and the smile she gave her may have surprised Alois but she stood up and quickly returned it and shook the woman's hand - pleased to see that someone was willing to be friendly. "Pleased to work with you too." She said in a cheerful voice, the mere thought that someone actually tolerating her did cheer her up. She then retracted her hand from the shake and then placed her fist onto her chest as a sign of respect to the woman. She then sat down again, finally looking around to see the others. There was Robin, the Vixen, Lady Cephilia and...

"Robert King?" She said out loud as her gaze landed on the man in red and blue. Alois knew nearly anyone who has any sort of renown in the Chubic Kingdom. And he was from Luminosa as well - but wasn't part of Jormungandr. He was part of another Hunter Guild of the same renown but there was rarely any competition between the two guilds so Alois has never really seen him up close. Besides, she had been sent to train in the Wing Clippers soon after that. Her eyes landed on his and she reconfirmed that it was him. She then leaned backwards and her fingers began tapping away at her thighs as she looked back at the others. "He's a member of a hunter guild in our city. He's well-recognized." She said, feeling the need to explain why she knew of the man in the first place.

High Citadel, Ilshari Glades, Chubic Kingdom | Night
A lone figure with long braided hair in similar hues as his immaculate finery and thread of silver stood gazing out of a balcony. The warm glow of firefly lanterns flickered amidst the dark boughs of the great trees, like cheery will-o-wisps guiding the paths of those who ventured out into the night. A light rustling of leaves whispered on a barely perceptible breeze; it was a calm night, like so many others before it. A stark contrast of the foreboding harrows that loomed on the horizon. Ilshari and its people were protected, with many leagues in distance and the might of the kingdom's armies standing between them and the affliction that was The Black Ravine. But protection breeds complacency, a frustrating sense of ignorance that drew a sour taste in the palate of the ranger who only just now, stepped between the huge oaken doors that led to the expansive dais on which the youngest brother of his erstwhile lord stood. He hesitated on the threshold, as the Calenfari Royal Guards barred his way with crossed glaives but upon an unseen signal, permitted him entry.

"Lle yelamin mithrim Taren`Isfalan?" The ranger's voice was terse, but he crossed a fist over his heart and bowed in respect.
TL: You requested my presence Prince Isfalan?

Turning at the sound of his voice, the Tel`Quessir prince waved one of his guards off before loosely clasping his hands behind his back. A broad smile brightened his facade at the sight of the half-elf ranger, though the warmth did not reach his silver eyes.

"Shall we?" Prince Isfalan indicated towards several plush cushions set around a table of sweet desserts, fruit and wine. The Ivory Ranger made no move, except to stand impassively in semi-readiness causing the Prince to shrug in response and turn towards the balcony once again.

"You should learn to relax Syvill... The humans have a saying, 'all work and no play makes one a dull boy'." A smirk twitched on the lips of Isfalan, the emphasis on the last word clear.

The returning silence was nigh tangible, but the Silver Prince seemed unperturbed in continuing his monologue thus far.

"I heard you turned down the emissary?"

"Lle caelantha amin." It was spoken as a statement, though there was the barest hints of an accusation.
TL: You have been watching me.

"Don't be silly Syvill. As possibly the sole surviving member-" He noted the stiffening of the Syvill's shoulders and just about rolled his eyes, "-I did say possibly, obviously I have no wish for it to be so. Regardless, I am still here on Father's orders as an ambassador to our allies, it is my prerogative to know exactly where the important members of our people are. Especially in these trying times, where we've all lost so much... all the more reason for us to remain in contact with each other." The Prince seemed like he spoke sincerely from his heart. Well almost. The lavishness of the High Citadel, of the very room he now stood in spoke nothing of 'trying times'. Syvill's jaw twitched, as he bit back a scathing retort.

"This is why we must gather our forces and attempt a crossing, my Prince." Syvill spoke evenly, but there was a steely edge to his tone. It took all he had not to disrespect his lord further. "If you choose not to lead them, let me. I will not take many, just a handful of your best. We can try a crossing through the Old Paths. The taint may have yet touched-"

"And what if it has? Even with the assumption that it hasn't, there is a reason we have kept the Old Paths closed. What will you do then?"

"We can get through-"

"No..." Isfalan was already shaking his head, a tone of finality. "I will not let you take any more of our lives Syvill."

"You dare-!"

"Tsk... you know full well what I meant. Look, I know how much this means to you... but your... pride, is getting in the way of what you wish for. You have your duties to fulfill, I have mine... Accept the offer Syvill..."

Syvill faltered. Prince Isfalan had touched a nerve; Syvill had to give him that. He was good with words. That was his strength. His brows furrowed, betraying inner turmoil.

"I will think on it." Syvill answered after a moment, that action alone told Isfalan of his decision. He bowed and took his leave.

"I know how much you despise them, but please... Don't get yourself killed before it even begins." The Prince's voice called after him, drawing a snort from the halfelf.

⊰~❇~⊱​

Eadigia - Arkae | Afternoon | Sunny
Eadigia wasn't only made up of avians of course, and with the elven blood in him diluted such that the more prominent features of said race were less obvious - chiefly the pointed ears - he could've reasonably passed for one of their own. Assuming they did not recognize the markings he bore on his armour. But Syvill was not one to fit in, and he carried himself with an arrogant stature, hawk-like like gaze squinting against the midday sun's glare as he strode through the streets trailing after his guide. As it was, such disdainful scorn for those around him made the Chubican stick out as a foreigner much more than any racial attributes could. Hushed whispers and snarky remarks followed in his wake, however, the sight of the Eadigian escort prevented any attempted lynching by the crowds as surely as it was for their own sake. He didn't give two ogre farts about whether someone escorted him or not, but he suspected that Prince Isfalan had pulled some strings to make the special arrangement possible. Not that he was complaining.

They finally arrived at the appointed tavern, and making their way over to a smattering of people, the ranger immediately took notice of the winged imbeciles. The escort made to move forward to register his arrival, but a gloved hand held the boy back. Confused, the boy looked back at the halfelf but no verbal answer was put forth, only a measured look at the angeloid pretentiously introducing herself to another feathery fool. Only when the buxom angeloid moved out of the way, and was finished her idealistic pronouncement of working together that reeked with callow naivety did he release his hold on the boy.

"Sir." The boy began, addressing the avian soldier with respect. "This is err... Syvill Hirundinidae, Ivory Ranger of the Tel... Tel`Quessir. On behalf of the Chubic Kingdom." The boy moved out of the way, allowing Syvill to step forward to slide his appointment letter complete with royal seal over to the red winged soldier, gauntleted fist lingering for a moment longer than necessary on the envelope.

"I am he." He stated deadpan, no hint of emotion in his rumbling tones though his emerald raked over the soldier before him, as if measuring his worth. His gaze flicked over the avian's overly polished armour, which seemed to gleam even in the relative dark of the tavern. Whether or not he found such displays ostentatious was not known as his facade remained carefully impassive throughout the exchange. Then with no further word, Syvill turned and strode over to place himself by an empty table. Far enough to tolerate the feathery stink, but well within earshot.

Beckoning the boy over, he flipped him a couple of gold coins. "Get me something to drink. Then you may go."

Hopefully the drinks in Eadigia weren't as sour as the way its people made him feel.

Last edited:
Elayne Ocalillan
___
"We're here miss."

The voice of the coachman startled her. She didn't realize she fell asleep. Elayne wiped the sleep off her eyes and looked out the window. So is this the town of Arkae? I should've lowered my expectations. She gathered her belongings, the bag was quite heavy since she filled it with her favorite books and clothes but what really made it heavy was the money. The coachman opened the carriage and Elayne stepped out, covering her eyes from the rays of the setting sun.

"Do you need assistance?" the coachman offered.

Elayne found it tempting, growing up she never had to carry her own things because she always had her servants with her. But now it's different. She has to get used to doing things on her own, the expedition group that she'll join won't certainly polish her nails and serve her tea, no matter what her last name is.

"That won't be necessary, thank you," she said.

She made her way into the sea of commoners. It felt like she's charging into battle. This was a foreign terrain and it intimidated her. All her life the only places where she set foot were the manor, school and the palace. She was never the one who liked to explore, she would rather stay in her room with a good book and hot tea.

Everything was chaos. The vendors of each food stall were shouting at the top of their lungs, inviting customers. The people brushed past her and some bumped into her, rubbing dirt against her clothes. Elayne already wanted to go home, maybe if she beg to her father enough, he will let her stay.

Someone grabbed her arm, pulling her towards a vegetable stand. It was an old woman, flashing her yellow teeth as she smiled at her. "Would you like to buy some vegetables young lady? We're having a sale. Two gold coins off if you buy two cabbages."

"Get your filthy hands off me commoner," Elayne sneered, shaking off the woman's grip. How dare she touch her? If only the old woman knew who she was.

Before she was able to walk away, a middle-aged man thrust a large fish to her. "Would you perhaps like a fish lass? It's fresh from the sea of Gidem!"

Elayne backed away slowly, covering her nose. The smell definitely didn't guarantee that it's fresh anymore. The thing smelled like rotten rodents.

"I don't want your fish. Get away from me!"

Elayne was running now, eyes desperately searching for a sign that'll lead her to the tavern. With the sun returning to the depths of the earth, she might be late. When Elayne was a child, she wanted to go with the servants to the market but her father didn't allow her. Now she knew why. These people were very eager to get their hands on whatever money they could find. Pathetic. She looked down on her white dress, she needed to change. She was sweating and her hair was a mess. These people might mistake her for being one of them. Elayne shuddered at the thought.

With a stroke of luck, she was able to spot a sign indicating that it's a tavern. She let out a breath of relief and ran her fingers through her hair, hoping that it doesn't look as bad as she thinks. She opened the door and stepped inside. The air was thick of smoke from the cigars pressed on people's lips and it smelled foul. The place was filled with drunken men, some were laying on the ground and some were engaging in fights. Still nobody seemed to care. As if the scene wasn't new to them. Elayne's cheeks flushed when her eyes landed on a lady with tight and revealing clothing, sitting on a man's lap as their lips crashed against one another. For God's sake, these people don't have any ounce of shame.

When Elayne was done observing the place, digesting every detail even though she didn't find most of it appealing, she approached a woman in the counter.

"Hello, I would like to ask if there's a certain person who wants to recruit people? I'm not sure what they look like but I was told that I'll find them here."

Elayne was having a hard time keeping her tone polite because the woman looked like she gave birth to a dozen of children from different men. The woman didn't say anything but she pointed to the farthest corner of the tavern. She thanked her before approaching a group of people with a knight in heavy armor at the center. As she walked closer she could make out what the group was composed of and there she concluded, that they won't stand a chance. She might as well start digging her own grave.

Last edited:

Cephilia was immensely pleased when Miss Vanviel took her hand. You’re shaking hands with a murderer. So what, she’d saved the lives of murderers numerous times. That makes you a murderer, too. No, it doesn’t. Yes, it does. Well, we have something in common then. And that’s that.

Her smile faltered as they broke contact and the Clipper’s attention shifted to a man at the bar. Cephilia had never heard the name, but she did briefly pick up on his exchange with one of the serving girls when he first entered. He must be quite famous, to be known by a Chubican archer and an Eadigian barmaid.

Or infamous, Cephilia thought. Both acquaintances just happen to be attractive young ladies… but that must be a coincidence, right? She made a mental note to watch out for this ‘Robert King’ fellow. He reeks of idle pursuits and basks in a miasma of uselessness, Cephilia thought. Laziness is the most contagious of diseases. I’ll have to work twice as hard to ensure he doesn’t infect the others.

As she stepped aside and shifted her attention to finding a seat, a boy stepped up in her place, introducing his ‘master’ as Syvill Hirundinidae, Ivory Ranger of something-or-other. Whatever lingering animosity Cephilia might have had toward Miss Vanviel was immediately, if briefly, washed away. Because at least Alois wasn’t one of those elves.

Oh, this should be interesting, Cephilia thought as she moved toward the bar, passing a girl in white. But continued to watch the exchange from the corner of her eye. She took a seat at the bar and crossed her legs, revealing glimpses of her healer’s kit and slender vials of red liquid strapped to her bare thighs, peeking between the tassels of her armored skirt.

After the elf --no, half-elf-- slipped his letter of introduction to the winged knight, he departed for a close-but-not-too-close table and took a seat, choosing to keep his own council. Cephilia could read him like a book. She’d seen enough sneering nobles to know what comes next. He’s gonna send his servant to get food and drink. Because ordering it himself is soooo beneath him.

Like clockwork, the boy departed Syvill and approached the bar. It took every ounce of strength she had not to laugh, but Cephilia managed to only grin as the boy approached. He seemed lost, as if unsure what to order.

“He’s a real charmer, isn’t he?” Cephilia said simply, nearly startling the boy. “There’s no elven wine here. Not the real stuff, anyway. And something tells me the great Syvill Humperdink does not partake in midday drinking,” she said in a lowered voice before giving the boy an encouraging wink and a smile. “I jest. The honeysuckle tea might be to his liking. The elderberry ought to be pleasing to his palate as well. I am yet to meet an elf who doesn't like sweets. If he is the first... well, you know who to blame.”

Robin could feel the anticipation growing as the others began to arrive and introduce themselves, despite the incident with the drunkard at the bar. Luckily for them, the soldier had deftly nipped the situation in the bud before it escalated into anything more serious. It would not do for their expedition to start on a downer, wouldn’t it? He had handled it with such grace and authority that Robin felt like he should have been taking notes somewhere.
Still, it was a reminder nonetheless, that the war was still fresh in people’s minds, and that their hearts still carried heavy burdens from then. He found himself looking at the others again, hoping to catch hints of what feelings lay underneath their expressions.
He perked up at the mention of Highgarden- it was a name that he was familiar with, and had crossed briefly on his travels years back, before it fell. He knew of the Valdergeuse family, of their prominence and importance in the war- it was something that his father had mentioned to him once. Robin thought briefly of going over to introduce himself, but his interest had long been piqued by someone else.
The young vixen boy.
Robin was well aware now of the fact that the vixen was not here by some kind of misunderstanding; he had heard the whole exchange. It seemed almost incomprehensible that such a young child had gone through so much- and was still willing to put himself forth for this expedition. What kind of strength lay within that tiny frame? As the boy stepped back, presumably done with the conversation, Robin found himself moving forward, and he tapped the vixen on his shoulder.
“Forgive me if I’m interrupting,” Robin said, “I’m sorry to hear about your parents and your master’s passing. Have you had anything to eat at all today?” He was well aware of the weight of his purse- it had been more than enough when he left, but now, at the last legs of his journey, he probably just had enough for a meal and a drink. A meal for the boy- and he would save the drink for when they made it out of the expedition alive. “I’m going to find a seat somewhere- you could join me if you’d like to.”

Jason flinched at the sudden contact, turning quickly around. It was an instinct he had picked up very early in life. Realising consciously that there was no threat, Jason's posture quickly relaxed. He made a small involuntary noise while turning around, but apart from that, he remained silent until Robin finished speaking. "Thank you, but no thank you. I'm fine. I've eaten at a youth hostel in this town." Jason was lying, of course. He had barely eaten anything over the previous few months. The thought of food was tempting, but Jason saw himself as less worthy of people's time and effort, an opinion that came from several of his 'family members' previously. Jason smiled and started looking around the place. "I might sit with you, though. I don't see the harm in that."

Robert King
[ Mentions: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse , AI10100 AI10100 ]

Robert turned his gaze from the beer he was drinking to the crowd gathered inside the tavern. Different people of different races gathered round to have a drink, to spend the gold they earned in the fields for a sip of liquid gold. Directly opposite his table was a man drunk out of his mind, slowly bobbing his head to God knows what tune in his head. Next to him was a very beautiful woman who was stealing glances from him. Well nothing new there. He brandished his trademark smile and a soft seductive wink her way, making her look away smiling hard. Jackpot.

"Might as well get something something from here before I ship out." He said to himself as he stood up and walked to the attractive lady.

His journey was cut shot when he was rudely interrupted by the sound of hands slamming a table made him turn. A knight with the most magnificent and intimidating set if wings was establishing he was not to be messed with. "Now that is someone I won't mind sparing with." His hands slowly made their way to his swords only to be stopped by Anna.

"Not in my bar."

"What? I was checking whether or not they were still there. Can't be to careful these days."

"And i can't be too careful with you around."

"Fine. But my mug is empty."

"There is water outside. Help yourself to it."

The sass on that woman is more than he can handle. He remembered there was someone in need of his 'knightly' services and he made his way to the very lovely woman from before. As he was about to sit down, he heard his name being called. He looked around and was met by a perfect pair of blue eyes he has ever seen. He nodded and turned to the lady.

"I apologize, it seems i am being needed elsewhere."

"Sad. I wanted you to help me with some 'chores' back at the house. My husband can't manage some baggage in the barn." The lady said leaning forward making her set of twins very well visible.

"i...um...I will be right back." He backed away slowly from the lady, turned around and made his way to the two ladies.

"Good evening fair ladies." He said as he made a small bow, a gesture of respect. "It is an honor to be in the presence of an elf." He said to the very pale lady with a very menacing bow on her back. " And a Noblewoman. Although I am a bit perplexed as to why you are here."

He turned to the pale lady. "I am at a bit of a disadvantage. You seem to know me very well but with respect, I haven't the slightest clue as to who you are. I believe a small introduction is in order young elf." He turned to the noblelike woman. "Your Majesty."

Robin didn't miss the way the young vixen stiffened at his touch- even if it had been fleeting. The action, though it had been small, elicited a sudden clench in his gut. He knew that he hadn't come from the best of backgrounds, if what he said had been any indication, but what had happened exactly to give rise to reactions such as this? The only other person that he knew would react like this was an old man that he'd once met on his travels. He'd been a retired soldier- too slow and too broken to join the ranks of the Eadigian armies during the war. He was a kind and patient teacher, humouring Robin's requests to teach him, but would recoil and snap away at the slightest touch.

Whatever his story was, Robin made a mental note to be careful around the boy, not wanting to make him uncomfortable. Instead, he flashed a smile as he pulled out a chair for the vixen before taking his own seat. "I don't think I ever got your name," He said, deciding that harmless probing would do for now. They would have no lack of time later on to explore other topics. "And if you don't mind me asking, what can you do? I don't mean to offend, but I'm just curious."

The younger boy had spoken with such an odd amount of confidence that it was somewhat possible that he knew how to handle himself in a fight. His words had been deliberate, lacking the hastiness and fumbling that usually accompanied a choice made from impulse. Even so, for all his strong words, he was so thin that he looked as if a puff of strong wind could bend him in half. Perhaps he was a caster or a distance fighter of some sort?

As he sat there, Robin took a quick look around at all the other patrons, hoping to catch a glimpse of what they had on their plates. If the boy wasn't going to eat, he could at the very least have a hot meal. It could be a while before he would have one again- once they were there, it would probably just be dry rations. At the thought of rations, Robin couldn't help but wonder if he'd brought enough for the expedition. He didn't have a lot- but perhaps they'd be able to forage or something while they were there.

[ BlueJay1403 BlueJay1403 ]

Eadigia - Arkae - The Wyvern Tavern | Afternoon | Sunny

The avian calmly listened to the young vixens words, waiting until he completely stopped before doing anything. "I see." He spoke somewhat quietly, seemingly contemplating the situation. "Indeed, there is nothing stopping you from taking part in this expedition, although it does sadden me that a such a young youth with years ahead of him, is so ready to sacrifice himself." His fist clenched for a moment, as if he was about to reach out to the boy once more, but quickly changed his mind.

As the dark haired lady approached him, he straightened up a little, ready to pay his respects. "Welcome m'lady, I am pleased to have you with us. Your skills will be needed no doubt." He bowed slightly as he spoke, appearing a little awed by her presence. "I would like to express my thanks to you, many of my soldiers were revived by your hand." Although one couldn't exactly see his face, it was clear by his tone of voice the pure gratitude he had for the woman.

The prominent, arrogant figure waltzing across the room seemed to grab the soldiers attention almost immediately, as he turned to the hermaphrodite just as his introduction began. Almost warily, the soldier carefully retrieved the fancy envelope and read through it silently, seeming somewhat uncomfortable by the half-elfs presence. "I see, do take a seat Syvill." He replied calmly, with an unnatural tone compared to his voice before.

Minutes passed, before the soldier looked around the room once more, mentally counting the number of expeditioneers they had now. Alois, Robin, Louis, Jason, Cephilia, Robert, and Syvill. Everyone seemed to be getting along well, and more might be on the way, but time was ticking.

As if on que, a delicate-appearing human dashed through the double doors. Her golden hair was tied securely in a tight bun, with an indigo ribbon matching her round eyes. She wore a grey tunic, with a blue shawl messily sprawled over her top. Her small figure sprinted across the open floor, and quietly whispered in the soldiers ears. As they nodded to each other, the avian stood up, announcing his presence, and eyed the room once more.

"Those on the expedition." His low voice resounded throughout the tavern, contrasting against its calm tone. "We must get going. I shall explain the plan whilst we ride." After his minor speech, the petite female hurried through the tavern doors once more, and the avian began leading them outside.

BlueJay1403 BlueJay1403 wafflegirl wafflegirl AI10100 AI10100 Felix Asher Felix Asher AnonyMouse AnonyMouse CkSmalling CkSmalling Reinhardt Reinhardt

Jason was about to take the offered seat when the time came for the group to leave. The same anxiety he had been feeling for days was amplified for a good minute as Jason contemplated what he was doing. Was he willing to risk death?

Yes. If he couldn't do anything to help the world, Jason had no business living at all, in his opinion. At that point, Jason made his final decision, one that he had never been more sure of. "My name is Jason Riviera. To cut a long story short, I'm not quite sure what I can do. I'm sure that I'll find out soon enough." With that, Jason got up to go. He made his way to the door and out to wherever their transport was. "Sooner than I know."

Elayne Ocalillan
___
When the avian knight acknowledged her presence, Elayne was on the verge of collapsing right then and there. The weight of the situation hit her immediately. There was no turning back now, if she does then her father will definitely forget that he has a daughter named Elayne. She straightened her back and regained her composure, hoping that they did not see the hesitation on her face.

"Greetings, I am Lady Elayne Fleur Ocalillan." She briefly paused, looking around to see their reaction upon hearing her last name. "I am here to represent the Ocalillan clan. It is an honor to join this expedition and work alongside with these..." she trailed off as she glanced at the group. "Fine individuals," she continued, hiding her sour expression. Elayne curtsied while forcing herself to smile.

A woman appeared and whispered something to the knight. What now?

"Those on the expedition. We must get going. I shall explain the plan whilst we ride," the knight announced.

May the gods preserve my soul.

Alois Vanviel
Interacting with:
CkSmalling CkSmalling AnonyMouse AnonyMouse BlueJay1403 BlueJay1403
Alois looked forward to actually meeting the rest - everyone seemed to at least be cordial. But when a half-elf stepped into the bar, her eyes were on him and him only. While she knew that there were some Eadigians who have the blood of an elf running through them, this one reeked of Chubican. The air around him already told her something that was as clear as day. Tel'Quessir. His robes already told her of his position. Alois had already managed to read and actually know who was there before the boy who had escorted him spoke. But Alois had her doubts. After all, everyone thought that the Tel'Quessir had perished during the Black Quake. The Wing Clippers had once been planned to be sent out to check up on their elven brethren - aloof as they may be, they were still Chubican. However, they pulled back after realizing that none of the Tel'Quessir who ventured out had come back.

"Syville Hirundinidae..." She repeated, testing out the name in her mouth. Alois rarely mingled with the Tel'Quessir and even then, they were the odd ones who ventured out of their homeland. To see that the supposedly dead race had come to the aid of the exploration effort was certainly a surprise to the Wing Clipper. In fact, the wonder on her face could have easily been made out. Her eyes followed him as he sat down though she frowned when he ordered the young boy once more. She didn't know why the man needed an escort. Everyone who came here - even one of noble lineage - had come on their own accord and never complained nor was escorted. She had heard that some or most of the Tel'Quessir felt like they stood above it all. Alois never expected it to actually be true.

She looked up at Robert as he walked towards her and Ms. Valderguese. She held a smile. "Alois Vanviel of the Wing Clippers. Though you might be more familiar with Jormungandr." She brought her fingers up to her neck and took out the medallion that was hidden under her clothing which clearly showed her being a member of the highly acclaimed guild. "You have a reputation within Luminosa, being part of a guild and all." While she has heard more of his exploits on his jobs, Alois also knew of his terrible reputation. He wasn't the nicest person to be around since his mod changes in a flash. Whether or not he was worth it was up to the individual in question.

The girl who seemed like a mage introduced herself. Elayne Ocalillan. Ocalillan? Wasn't that a rather huge clan of aristocrats at the capital? She remembered having escorted a pair of them with her master before. Upon instinct, she examined the female though was inconspicuous about it. Definitely a mage. Doesn't look like she was willing to go there. Perhaps just like herself, Ms. Ocalillan was forced to go there. But Alois was more than prepared to lay down her life for this cause. She wondered if the mage felt the same.

Then a woman burst through the door and hurriedly made her way to their winged commander. She whispered something and he quickly told them that they had to get going. The elf was quick to rise, prepared for the expedition and the inevitability of it happening. She was resigned to a short life, but that didn't mean she couldn't try to live. Her eyes traveled to the young vixen boy who introduced himself as Jason and told them that he didn't know what he was capable of. Never had she felt so much uncertainty. She thought he could at least wield magic like a young prodigy but it seems like the boy just really wanted to come. She quickly made her way to the boy before he exited. "Jason, right? I am not going to stop you from going, of course." She started. "But I really do hope you can figure out what you cna do. It would be a big help to us all if you did." Because right now, he seemed more like a liability than an asset.

Jason heard Alois addressing him, so turned around to see the wood elf stating her concerns. Once she was finished speaking, Jason started. "Well, it's not like I can't do anything, like I haven't got any powers... I just... don't know exactly what it is that I do. I'm close to death and really sad, then I black out and then, when I wake up, I'm somewhere else." 'I know what happened.' 'Be quiet, River.' Jason stared off into the distance for a few seconds with a faraway look in his eyes while saying, "Hopefully I'm useful. If not? Well at least I'll make a decent distraction." Jason kept walking toward wherever they were being led, hoping that the latter part of that statement didn't come true. 'You know it will, don't lie to yourself.' 'I don't think you heard me. I said, be quiet.'

AI10100 AI10100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back