• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Art of Photography and Crime

skyline_night.jpg

1x1 xxxena xxxena and Pipsqueak Pipsqueak

A modern day story between a beautiful, carefree model and an cautious yet overly agreeable photographer. It's a typical busy summer night in Chicago- the streets crowded with those on late night dates, businessmen rushing to get home after a strenuous days work, and, of course, paroling police searching for any signs of criminal acts. Our photographer, Waylen, is just coming home from his internship with the Chicago forensics team. A terrible murder had just occurred a few hours prior and he had busied himself with getting the best angles for his team to dissect. Now, with his mind plagued with the sights he had just witnessed, he walked home, completely unaware of his childhood best friend meticulously making her way into his apartment...​

sunshine

MOOD: sunny.
OUTFIT: petals.

Chicago, the big city. A hot spot for tourist during the sweltering heat of summer, just like this one tonight. Indra walks casually down one of the main busy streets within the bustling city. Her hazel eyes scan every passerby's face as she strolls. Not that she's looking for anything specific, just watching the light of the street lamps draw shadows on their faces. She enjoyed watching other's, wondering what kind of trouble she could get into.

Her phone lays heavy in her hand. Music beats in her ears to every step she takes on the hard concrete. For a brief moment her attention is drawn to her phone. A news article stares back at her from the digital device, reminding her of the several killings going on around the entire city. It intrigued her more than it scared her. Not that death was something she rather enjoyed, more like the excitement of being involved in something she shouldn't be. And she knew exactly who to call to get herself into more trouble. Waylen. Her best friend from middle school, who just casually happened to come back into her life recently. Whether by fate or luck, she wasn't complaining. She always got along with him, and rather enjoyed his company. Seeing as how he never told her no. She liked that the most.

Indra is quick to clear the news story from her page, moving on to her little messaging app to see if she can get ahold of Waylen. She knew he'd be on the scene of any investigation taking his little pictures and she wanted nothing more than to be included. Especially since she wasn't really suppose to be. She hovers her thumb over the call button for just a split second before dialing his number. The phone rings through the headphones she wears. Her feet never stop moving as she waits for her friend to pick up. But by the fifth ring, Indra assumes he isn't going to answer. "Tsk. Lame, Waylen. Super lame." She sighs, running a tan hand through dark curls. Now what was she to do? She could try calling him back, or just going home and waiting for him to answer her. But she was never one for waiting around. Her music returns, she tucks her phone in hand into her jacket pocket and begins to walk faster. He wouldn't mind her stopping at him home, would he?

Indra is far too quick to arrive to her friend's home. A home which she did not have a key for. But she knew he kept at least one window unlocked on the balcony, in case he ever lost his own key. Or a fire. Which ever would come first. She takes the side street opposite of the main street, heading for the back of Waylen's home, as if she has done this before. Which, she probably has. Either way, Indra is quick to make her way through an alley. Nimble and swift, she finds the right balcony, hoisting herself up onto the deck with...literal ease. It's funny how she must appear to anyone who could just casually walk by and see her. But it doesn't bother her. She wont try and act like she isn't actually breaking into someone else's home, she's just here to see a friend. That's all as she moves to the sliding door. Her hand reaches out to touch the glass of the door. Fingers brushing the sticky window as she peers inside of the home. It looks empty enough so she reaches for the door handle and it just "magically" opens for her.

She's all too smiley as she slips into the dark apartment. The door slides with ease back into it's place as she moves further within the home. Her tan hands remove her earbuds, placing them back into their little carrier before she stops moving. Her hazel eyes glance around the dark living room area, searching for any sign of life. "Len?" Indra calls. No answer. She shrugs her shoulders then. Lets her feet carry herself to his kitchen. Opens the fridge as if she lives there and peers inside. She's half way into eating a random sandwich, soda in hand, when she hears keys jangle. She has just enough time to straight herself up, look at the front door, before Waylen is walking into his home. That he pays rent for. That Indra does not. But there she stands, eating his sandwich and drinking his drinks.

And all she can simply do is nod her head before, with a mouthful of food, mumbles out, "Welcome home."

code by low fidelity.

Last edited:
Waylen Hansley
mood
Tired/ Surprised

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
It hadn't been a particularly bad night, aside from looking at a gruesome crime scene for a little over four hours. Waylen wasn't sure he would ever get used to pulling up on a body and taking pictures for the forensics team to spill over. He assured himself it was for good. He was technically a hero in some people's eyes, but it was difficult to get past the utter intrusiveness of it all. The poor man who had been the third victim in a string of similar killings had been strangled and left in the gutter just behind the Ultover Bar. To any outsider it might have just appeared to be the result of some bar fight gone terribly wrong, but for those keeping up with the news, one could immediately pin it to the serial killer running rampant in Chicago. This threat hung over many heads, and Waylen was positive those out tonight had it hanging in the back of their minds. They seemed much better at hiding their worries than him however. As the photographer scurried back to his apartment, he couldn't help glancing over his shoulder every now and then, just to be sure the killer hadn't targeted him next. The thought of ending up as the next breaking news spurred his feet faster, wishing desperately to just relax in his old blue armchair with a drink in hand.

As he made the next turn onto his apartment block, Waylen finally had the courage to fish his phone out from his pocket, confident enough to turn his attention to something other than the road ahead- or rather behind. He twiddled his thumb over the 'missed calls' button, brow furrowing when Indra's name displayed across the screen. Panic rose for just a moment before he reminded himself this was Indra. Since coming to Chicago she had been persistent in keeping in contact with him, which he wasn't too terribly put out by. She was a good friend for the most part, if not including her sporadic and adventurous taste in life. Waylen had always had a hard time keeping up with her, and when he tried it typically ended in trouble. He never held that against her of course- after all, he never said no. Resisting the urge to call her back before he reached safety, he quickly made his way across the street and up the flight of steps leading to his front door.

The apartment he had rented wasn't awful when lined with most places one could get for a reasonable price in this city, although it certainly wasn't luxury. It was most apparent whenever he had to get in from a long night. The lock stuck stubbornly every time, so force was required when pushing the door in. As it creaked against its hinges, Waylen breathed a sigh of relief. His hand searched the wall briefly before landing on the light switch, and when the light came on Indra's greeting came casually from the kitchen as if she had been waiting to see him in order to speak.

"What the fuck!" Came his strangled reply before falling back and knocking painfully into the door frame.

"Indra? What- why are you in my apartment? How did you get in?" Heart racing, Waylen rubbed his now throbbing shoulder before shutting the door behind him with a little more force than intended.

"I thought you were the serial killer," He grumbled, eyes turning playfully suspicious towards her, "Mm. Wouldn't be surprised actually. Oh, no please, help yourself." He added, waving his hand towards the fridge in exasperation.

"Really though, why are you here? Is everything ok?"
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

Indra expected the scream. She figured it was an appropriate reaction to someone breaking into thier home, friend or not. She even thought about flinching when Waylen's back hit the door but she only manages to roll her eyes. She takes a bite into the sandwich, holding the snack between her teeth, before opening the can of soda she holds. She takes another mouthful of the sandwich, bumps the fridge door closed with her hip, before lifting herself up onto the small island within the kitchen. She munches on the food, ears picking up on the most obvious question Waylen asks. Her only answer to how she got in is a lift of her eyebrows, before hazel eyes turn towards the sliding door no one is stupid enough to break into. Of course, besides Indra. It was almost hysterical how she didn't even try the front door, just automatically went to the back door. Maybe she was a little...crazy. She shakes her head to the sudden thought when Waylen is catching her attention again. Gesturing to the sandwich she currently had more than half before asking her if she were okay. At that, Indra rolls her eyes once more. If she weren't okay, she figures she wouldn't be breaking into his home. She'd be in a hospital somewhere. Or the police station. Both have happened before.

"Good....sandwich," Indra manages to say, around all the bread, meat, and cheese in her mouth. "Did you get this from the deli on Saint Archer?" The dark haired girl asks as she finishes the sandwich completely. Her mouth is only slightly occupied as she finishes chewing the last little bit of the sandwich, washing it all down with the cool soda she holds in her hand. Once all the food is gone, Indra wipes her hands down along her bare thighs. Removing any leftover crumbs from the bread that lingers on her skin. And then all of her attention is drawn back to the man standing in the living room of his own home. "Yes Len, I am perfectly fine, as you can tell. And you never know...might have to watch your back from now on." Indra teases right back, crossing into the threshold of the living room. She stops just before Waylen, perching herself against his favorite old blue armchair. A tan finger is quick to point at the handsome man, hazel eyes lifting to stare directly into that of his own brown eyes. "I know you've been working on those serial-killer crime scenes lately. And I am here to offer my dazzling intellect to help you catch this guy. Think about it Len! You solve the murder and you'll have so much money! Plus, it'll just be a little fun side quest for me." Indra states, telling him the true intentions behind breaking into his home.

At the statement, Indra gives Waylen the best show of "puppy dog" eyes she can muster. She knows he'd never say no but he'd try to argue with her. And on this, she didn't want him to argue. She really thought it would just be a little fun game. To stare into the abyss and have it stare back. You could call her an adrenaline junky but really she was just stupid and liked to get into trouble. And of course, drag her best friend down with her. In the end it always worked out though. Which is why Waylen never said no to her. Not to the sweet little sunshine that always got them out of trouble. Her hand reaches out to grab hold of Waylen's hoodie, forcing him to stand still and keep him from running off. Just like Indra figured he might. "C'mon Waylen. We can totally figure it out. Sneak into all kinds of places and get some really good photos too. We can get one of those big cardboard pinup...things! And all the strings! Trace it all back! We could totally do it!" Indra reassures, laughing as she tugs on the hoodies he wears.

Indra flashes her signature sweet little smile at her best friend as tan fingers pinch his stomach just a little. She jumps up then, stretching her hands up towards the ceiling. Stretching out as she waits for Waylen to agree. Her hazel eyes glance at him from the side, a mischievous glint to those pretty eyes before she asks, "Seriously, where did you get that sandwich from?"

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Exasperated/ Relaxed

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ Hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
Despite the feeling of safety washing back over him and the fact that he was now inside his apartment, Waylen didn't move from his spot near the front door as he watched Indra finish off the sandwich. He pursed his lips, impatiently waiting for her answer to any one of his questions. Of course she took her sweet time doing so, letting the silence drag out before finally drawing her gaze over to the window he always left unlocked. Still his eyes followed hers before he drew out a long breath.

"Right. I suppose I should lock that," Waylen fiddled with the insides of his pockets before carefully deciding his next choice of words, "I'll give you a key next time alright? It'll be safer. You're lucky nobody called the cops on you." He knew he should be more concerned about the fact that she had let herself in, but found it more amusing than anything. It was so on point for her. He smirked as he slipped off his shoes and laid the keys on the small wooden desk in the entrance. The stress from today seemed to dissipate just as suddenly as it had come at the crime scene, and he let himself relax fully as his eyes slowly traveled back up to Indra.

"Oh god what?" A sinking feeling bubbled up in his stomach as she gazed at him. The same sinking feeling he always got when she gave him that look. She had something planned. He would have guessed it was about buying her more food, or perhaps something as mild as stealing a poor dog that was chained in someone's backyard, but her next words froze him to the spot.

"What? Indra, you can't be serious... You don't want to go to that crime scene, trust me, I-" he paused, realizing probably too late that there was no use arguing. If he had learned anything from their friendship, it was that his points always fell invalid. The photographer shook his head, whether in exasperation or denial he wasn't sure.

"The cops already took the body to the morgue, and I don't have the photos anymore, they're back at the lab. We don't have anything to go over! And those "cardboard pinup things" are called evidence boards, Sherlock. You can't bribe me with photography either." He pointed a faux accusatory finger at her before letting his hand rest back on the knob of the front door. If he could just take a quick walk, maybe- Ah, nope. He heard Indra leap up to him and tug on his hoodie before he even had the chance to leave.

"Indraaaa." His indignant groan reached deaf ears as she poked at him, causing him to screw his face up to hold back laughter.

"Okay, okay! I'll... I'll see if I can get those photos back. But you owe me dinner. And possibly a new job. And you have to listen to me this time! This is a federal crime scene investigation, this isn't exactly our typical shtick. You can't just run around-" His pleas were cut off once more with another topic change. This time turning back again to the sandwich.

"Same place, same sandwich. It's an addiction." He shrugged, accepting his fate of the inevitable spiral of ordering the same food until it made him sick just thinking about it.

"Alright, let me call Elias and see if he's still at the lab." Turning away from Indra, he quickly dialed his colleague's number, desperately hoping he didn't pick up. As soon as Waylen heard the familiar click of an answer, his heart began thumping against his rib cage. Nerves shot, it took a moment for him to reply to the sleepy "Hello?" that came over the line.

"H-hey Elias, it's Waylen. Do you still have those photos I took today?"

"Yea man, they're hanging up right now. What can I do for ya?" Waylen glanced at Indra before continuing.

"Erm... I just wanted to go over them. I figured I could try to help out a little more. You know, be part of the team."

"You are part of the team Waylen! Unfortunately you and I both know we can't take them out of the lab." Waylen bit back another sigh.

"I know, but... Please?" Please? Was that the best he could do?

"I won't say anything Elias, I swear. I figured it couldn't do any harm to just... I don't know, come up with my own theories? Just a quick peak, I won't touch anything." There was a pause. A long pause. Waylen fidgeted in nervous anticipation, watching Indra out of the corner of his eye to keep him grounded. Finally, Elias's low voice responded.

"You get ten minutes, alright? Get here soon because I'm about to lock up." Without a goodbye the line went dead, but it did little to ease Waylen's anxiety.

"He said it was fine, but we have to leave now, and we've got ten minutes. Are you ready? Actually, forget I asked." He corrected himself before grabbing his keys and stepping back outside.
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

Indra could see it in those striking brown eyes. Could see Waylen's resolve turning to dust at her little pleas. Even before he agrees. She's prepared her entire speech in the time it took to walk to his apartment. Coming up with several ideas to get away with anything if they get in trouble. Always having a back up plan just in case. Just like when the boy tries to run and she latches onto his hoodie. Knew he would try and escape. Knew he would try and argue about how "he couldn't" because "he didn't have the photos anymore". As if she didn't know that the photos he took would be stored in the forensics building where he has an access key card too. She took it all into her little plan, and so far she's winning the little game they play. The groan of her name makes her chuckle ever so slightly but it's seeing her friend trying to hold back his own laughter that almost breaks her. She manages to stay in character though, the pleading little sunflower, as brown eyes scan over her face. They search for the nerve to tell her no. To finally break and end their little argument and send her home. The tension in his shoulders makes Indra truly believe this might be the first time Waylen puts his foot down. And the only thing that she can hear is the sound of their breathings. Quickly replaced by pure silence. It fills her ears and pounds against her eardrums. Louder than anything she's ever experienced.

But Indra was always one to fill that void.

She smiles, oh so pretty up at the boy. Hazel eyes gleaming with joy as she whispers, "C'mon Len...it'll be like old times."

The defeated sigh and Waylen's final crack in his façade is all Indra needs to know she's won. He's blurting out an "okay, okay!" that has indra leaping for joy. She laughs, tugging slightly more on the boy's hoodie. Giggling at her achievement as her other half claims that she owes him dinner. Or a new job. And all together confirming her suspicion on where he had gotten the sandwich from. "I knew it..." Indra whispers under her breath, nodding her head. Considers for a second if she should pester him about going to her favorite sandwich shop without even so much as a small invitation but has figured she's pressed his buttons enough for the moment. Although, that doesn't stop her from chipping in with a new job idea. "You can do some modeling with me. I'm sure you'd make a great nude model." Indra jokes. Chuckling at the side-eye glare she receives.

At the mention of calling someone, Indra shuts up completely. Bites her bottom lip to contain her eager happiness as Waylen turns from her. Seconds tick by before a call is connected. Waylen's shaky "h-hey" almost makes Indra lose her composure but she holds it together. It would always be entertaining to her. To know Waylen would follow her to the ends of the world, even with his fingers trembling and anxiety thrumming. Maybe that's why they were such good friends. Total opposites. Her thoughts are interrupted when she focuses back in on Waylen's chat. Watches with a mischievous glint to her eyes when Waylen glances at her, waiting for him to give the yes or no. Which, calling his buddy was just the more convenient way of getting in. The more "no officer this man said it would be okay!" story than straight up breaking in. If it came down to breaking in well...Indra knew someone who was good at that.

The tension was stifling in the room as she waited for Waylen and when he finally slipped the phone away from his ear, shoving it into his pocket, he glanced at her with a look she knew all too well. It was a go. Indra immediately sprang to life, even before Waylen had began to speak. But it didn't stop him from telling her that they could go. That they only had 10 mins to look around. Which meant 25 minutes in Indra time. She's already right beside Waylen as his head touches the doorknob. It opens for the two of them and once again, Indra is slipping into the thick Chicago summer air. She only briefly turns to wait for Waylen, smile from ear to ear. "You've gotten so soft, Len." She tease, laughing a little as they set out on their little trek.

The walk is quick. They need to be there now and neither waste time. Indra speaks occasionally. Reminding Waylen of all the stuff they use to do as kids. How much trouble they got into but how she always managed to get them out of said trouble. A talk they had often when she came up with these little schemes. But it worked to ease both of the tight coils of anxiety within their stomachs. More so for Waylen than herself, but it still did the same trick. Before she can even register it, they're at the forensics building. Standing before a large, pristine white door that could be intimidating to anyone else. Grumpily, Waylen swipes a little keycard Indra was sure he had the entire time, and they're let into the little space for the forensics team to work. Her hazel gaze wanders over the expensive looking equipment as she follows silently, for once, behind Waylen. As he leads them through the maze of paperwork a mountain high. Leading them back into the dark room his photos were surely being held. Indra isn't for sure if the other man Waylen talked to, Elias, was there anymore or even talked to them. Her mind was racing at the thought of taking in all the photos and storing them within her memory to even consider thinking about anything else.

And as she looked at the pictures, she knew Waylen was right. How gruesome everything was. How the bodies were mangled and distorted and utterly...lifeless. The blood that stuck beneath once clean fingernails. The chips and digs of skin. How cruel and inhumane this all seemed. Anyone else would've thrown up at the sight. But Indra simply nodded at the photos before her phone was slipping into her hand. She holds it up, bringing the photo into view, before snapping a quick pic. Thinking nothing of her own little photoshoot.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Nervous/ Excited

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ Hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
Waylen was more than happy to let Indra do all of the talking during their trip to the lab. Thankfully he only lived a few streets away- really the perfect spot. Though he quipped back at her on occasion and laughed alongside his friend at the memories, his habitual nervous tics kept rearing their head, unable to leave him alone outside. His gaze traveled back behind the pair and alongside any alleyways they passed, tensing at small shadows and sudden noises. Elias had told him to carry a weapon of some kind on him, but Waylen wasn't sure he trusted himself with one. He would probably end up getting hurt by his own hand, making him look more like a fool than just dying by the killer's.

Indra's enthusiastic reminder that she had gotten them out of sticky situations before did calm his nerves just a bit, however, about what they were about to do. He trusted her to be able to use her smooth talking if need be. Most would be skeptical of having only that as a backup plan, but Waylen had been in more than enough situations such as this to know it usually worked. By the time the two got to the front doors of the lab, the photographer easily slipped his key card into the slot and slid the door open as if walking into the lab at night was a normal for him. He lead the way along to the back, ignoring the stack of paperwork and chemical components that lay along the desks. He kept a sharp eye out for Elias, but he didn't seem to be around at the moment.

"He's probably in the side room." Waylen suggested to no one in particular. He wouldn't complain though- he didn't exactly want Elias to get into trouble because of the both of them.

"Alright, here's the back room where the photos are kept. Try not to touch anything." His warning was more of a suggestion, as he was fully aware Indra didn't exactly mind much when she was caught up in the moment. Waylen motioned her inside, closing the door behind them quietly. Surprisingly his anxiousness was at a minimum. Grabbing his phone, he shot a quick text to his colleague to inform him they were here and not shoot them out of surprise if he happened to come back before turning to watch his friend do whatever she needed to do. He kept a close eye on her expression as she finally laid eyes on the photos. There were really no words to describe the horrors displayed, but she seemed to take it well enough.

As Indra got to work, he himself decided to snoop around a bit. He spent enough time in here during the day, but he couldn't deny the curiosity that got to him at what this place may hold during the night. After the initial photos were taken, the team wasn't allowed to say much more than that, so Waylen was forced to sit on the sidelines with the rest of the Chicago citizens to see how close the police had gotten to catching the killer. It was infuriating to say the least, but this seemed the perfect opportunity to get ahead of the game.

A few silent moments passed as Indra busied herself with the photos and Waylen shuffled through stacks of handwritten papers. Nothing of interest caught his eye until he reached a small manila folder with the word "CLASSIFIED" stamped in red ink.

"Look at this!" He called over to the model, his fingers fluttering over the file in excitement. It briefly crossed Waylen's mind that knowing anything stored here could get the both of them in a lot of trouble and probably more danger than either of them were prepared for, but as soon as he felt Indra's presence at his side the thoughts melted. They were already here, and if he backed out now he probably would get an ear full instead of dinner. With a faltered breath he opened the file quickly, biting the inside of his cheek in anticipation. What stared back at them confused him more than anything. They were fingerprints of potential suspects.

"They haven't even released any information about this yet. Robert- Er, one of the guys on the force- told me they hadn't talked to anyone yet besides the family members. There's no way they don't have these suspects in holding right now." Running a hand through his dark hair, he huffed a frustrated breath.

"Part of the team my ass." He grumbled, pulling out his phone to take pictures of the discovery as he had seen Indra do with the photos. Finally he turned to her, eyes wide.

"Can we go now? I don't think there's much else we can do here." Before she had a chance to reply, the click of the handle to the door signaled someone's presence. Waylen quickly closed the file and threw his phone into his pocket just as Elias walked through the door.

"Who's this?" Elias asked, his tone panicked. Waylen shook his head dismissively.

"Nobody you need to worry about. She's a friend of mine."

"You can't be in here, only staff allowed. You two need to leave before I call Alen." At the threat Waylen's heart raced, and he quickly took a few steps towards the scientist.

"Elias, please don't. I swear we were just about to leave, we didn't mean any harm."

"I'm sure you didn't, but letting her see everything here is a crime Waylen! I took a leap of faith even letting you walk in here! You can lose your internship because of this!"

"Then just don't tell Alen! He doesn't have to know!" God how had he gotten here? This wasn't like him at all. Elias shook his head, placing his hands on his hips.

"I can't get in trouble because of you Waylen. Who even is this? Your girlfriend or something?" The look Elias gave him made Waylen's face grow hot.

"N-no! It's not like that. This is indra, Indra, this is Elias... obviously. She's just interested in investigations. She's- she's thinking about getting into criminology, so I figured it couldn't hurt to just show her the photos. That's it, I swear!" He held his hands up as if that would prove their innocence.

"Well it can hurt to show her! This little idea of yours could get all of us in trouble. What am I supposed to do?" Waylen nervously picked at his fingernails, unsure what the answer to his question was. If he kept quiet and someone on the team found out they were here, they could get thrown in jail. He turned to Indra, pleading at any answer she may be able to provide. He was at a loss.
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

It was almost like a strange dream now. The way Indra seemed to glide across the tile floor now. staring at horrors that no pretty girl like her should be seeing. Her mind is racing as she stares at endless photos of brutal murders through the camera of her phone. Snapping pics as close and she can get, catching every detail Waylen had done earlier with the photos hanging up. Hazel eyes scan over a particular photo hanging up. A shot of some poor soul's dirty back. A tattoo, sun-faded, and covered in mud stares back at her. The once prominent ink is now sliced in half by a large puncture wound. A knife, dug into the back of an unidentified man, right through the once meaningful mark. Indra's reaches a rather steady hand to brush just the edge of the photo, holding it still for her to take her own little picture of it. The warning from Waylen to not touch anything comes back to mind and the model is quick to retract her hand. Hazel eyes glancing towards the brunette as she waits for him to hiss at her again. But he isn't even looking in her direction, thankfully. She rests her hand once more at her side. Staring at the photo with curiosity. Of course she wasn't going to touch anything...yet.

Indra's thoughts are interrupted when Waylen whispers between the two, catching her attention rather quickly at the eagerness in his tone. The model moves to his side quickly. Eyes scanning his face for what might have happened before they travel to the beige folder with bright red lettering splattered across it. Watches him open it up to reveal several pages of fingerprints. Suspects fingerprints at that. And far too many. Indra lifts her gaze briefly to look at Waylen when he speaks. That there was no way they could have a potential suspect already. That even if they did, why weren't they already in custody? Why let the killings continue? It was strange in Indra's little mind. How could they have this much proof and not charge someone? Someone out literally murdering loved ones. Since they might be strangers to her, these people could be sons or daughters. Mother's or father's. Why is no one helping the people? They're the ones dying on the streets to these crazy bastards.

Was it someone on the force hiding things? Was it connected to them somehow? Was it some government official hiding something instead? None of it made sense and that left a bad taste in Indra's mouth. An even worse feeling drops in her stomach but she wills herself to push it all to the side for now. They only needed to get the few photos and they could start working something else out later. She's thankful for Waylen though, for he takes a few quick pictures of the fingerprints and all of their names while she stood watching. Coming up with as many possible reasons as to why they would not catch this serial killer already. She hears Waylen's rushed voice telling her that they should leave and Indra can't help but nod her head in agreement for once.

That is until she hears the click of the door handle. The noise is loud, pops in her ears, as someone enters the room with them. The girl is quick to hide her phone within her jacket pocket as she peers over Waylen's broad shoulder. She doesn't recognize him, for obvious reasons, but Waylen stiffens upright like a board. So it's the one who talked to him on the phone. With a side eye she watches the two interact. Shrinks ever so slightly to get a feel of how she should handle things. Reminds herself that next time they're caught like this, she shouldn't allow Waylen to speak. He only buries them further into the hole. Although the little girlfriend remark makes Indra smile. Oh, she could play into that very well. Especially if it helped them out of this mess. All it takes is a blink of her pretty little eyes and they water up. She fakes a wobble in her lip as she moves to press against Waylen's right side. A sniffle ready to be sounded as she stares at the man threatening her friend.

"I'm so sorry! It's all my fault!" Indra begins, her voice trembling in a half broken sob. Feigning to have been caught, like a perfect little actor, as she stares at Elias. She slips her hands right around the thick of Waylen's bicep, pulling his arm against her and using it as if it's the only thing keeping her standing. "Blame me. I just thought what he did was so cool and we had some alone time and he was bragging about just how amazing everyone on his team was and I just got so excited I suddenly asked him, I'm so sorry!" Indra continues, sounding so genuine that if you didn't know her, anyone would believe her. Little tears fall from her pretty eyelashes as she stares at the man. Who huffs in her direction. That gives Indra a perfect little cue to move into her next little step of her plan. She steps forward, flashing her pretty hazel eyes up at the man as she takes up a position to shield Waylen from any more attacks.

"Y-you're Elias, right? I mean of course you are it's just, Len-Len here wouldn't stop talking about how cool you were. How it was you who really made him feel like he was apart of the team! He talks about you and the team every night he comes home. How great you all are at your jobs. How you're really saving people's lives, ya know! And...and..." Indra coos, tears flowing more freely now as she falls into a believable breakdown. "My daddy...was on a team like this once. He's real sick now...doesn't have but a few days left and I just always felt a connection with his profession and wanted to see if it truly was something for me. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked to see what my daddy did one last time before...before he dies!" Indra wails, turning to sob into Waylen's shoulder. She prays to god he follows her act and holds her. To make the play a little more believable. To soothe a crying soul.

And it works. Hook, line, and sinker.

Elias sighs, losing all the negative tension in his body. Indra can hear him running a hand through his hair and down the front of his face. Wiping away all the stress with a exhausted sigh. She does nothing but sniffle now as the man shakes his head, concentrating on the floor for a heartbeat, before glancing back up at the two. "Alright, alright. I won't tell Alen. This time. Don't let me catch you doing something this stupid again Waylen." The older man states in a serious tone.

But it's all Indra needs to worm their way out. She sniffles, swiping away any tears that still threaten to fall. Her little bottom lip still wobbles as she nods her head. Pretty eyes glancing up at the man who politely opens the door for them to exit. "T-thank you," Indra hiccups as she moves to take hold of Waylen's hand. Interlocking their fingers together to make it seem more believable as he moves to lead them out. Speaking of his own apologies and gratefulness along the way. The two move swiftly by the older man, who watches them leave. Indra briefly stops at the door, glancing about the room as if she's going to remember it for the last time, before casually looking back at Elias. Her free hand waves in a small goodbye to the man before the two fully see themselves out. They walk quicker once the door closes behind them. Racing towards the exit of the building but also trying to keep up the act just in case Elias was to make sure one more time that they really were leaving.

The two leave the way they came in and once the summer night air hits Indra's lungs, she drops her act completely. Uses the edge of her jacket to wipe away any stray tears still clinging along her cheeks. Wipes her nose in the same motion before her hand slips into her jacket pocket. Gives Waylen no time to lecture her, especially in front of the building, and she's quick to leave out the front gates. Waits until their feet hit the sidewalk of the street just outside, before she turns to her partner in crime. A pretty smile splits her lips as she gazes at the boy. She knows he's going to yell and huff and puff until he turns into Grumpy Len but it's always satisfying how she's almost always right. She really could worm her way out of anything and everything. "That was fun and all but now...let's grab dinner." She says, plain and perfectly clear. As if she has done nothing wrong like the little precious angel that she is.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Surprised/ Relieved

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ Hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
Indra's theatrics were much to gawk at. Waylen was so taken by surprise that he felt an impulse to go and hug her, but was quick to remind himself that she was simply playing into Elias's empathy. A quick glance told him that Elias, too, was taken aback. If it had been anyone else, Waylen might have booked it out of the office right then and there, hopefully remembering to thank the person who had saved his ass. Indra, however, was like second nature. Even after years of being apart, the brunette had no trouble worming his way into the groove of his friend's hysteria. He nodded along with her sob story, giving the occasional pat on the shoulder for good measure. It wasn't until she began sidling herself up next to him did he start getting flustered. Waylen self consciously tried to rub his sweaty palms on his jeans, but Indra was quick to swipe his hand into hers.

"God, have some compassion Elias." He mumbled, desperately clinging onto the rope of composure that was quickly being tugged from him. He didn't miss the glance of disapproval from his colleague, but felt relief as Indra stepped away again to take up matters one on one with the scientist. Elias himself seemed a little put out by her behavior, answering her questions with quick and almost shameful responses as if he couldn't believe he was about to let himself be talked out of letting them escape. As Indra cried her way through the story (with little help from Waylen, of course), the photographer inched the pair closer to the door, all the while stroking Indra's dark curls comfortingly. Finally, after hearing about the quite touching story of her father, Elias complied. Waylen had never been so excited to go back outside, but the stifling air felt like heaven.

He could still feel his hands shaking by the time they had made it onto the street, words seemingly absent from his mind as his friend wiped her tears. The minute dinner had been brought up, his stomach rumbled agreeing, and Waylen could all but laugh at what had just transpired.

"I didn't peg you to be an actress! What even was that back there? Your dad was in the police force?" He doubled over in laughter, relief spilling onto his features.

"Seriously that was genius! I, uh, really appreciate you coming up with that so quickly. I thought for sure we were dead," He scrunched his nose at his poor choice of words before grabbing Indra by her shoulders, "Seriously, thanks. I would say I owe you dinner but, you know. You ate mine." A smirk played on his lips, his eyes alight in adrenaline. Indra's sudden closeness during her facade came to the forefront of his mind for just a moment, but he was hesitant to bring it up. It was acting, that was all. It was necessary.

"So I'm thinking when we get to the restaurant we can go over the pictures we took. I didn't get the whole list of suspects but I think we have enough information to get through." His suggestion came from nowhere, catching Waylen off guard. Why was he suddenly so ready to hop into this scheme of hers? Just thirty minutes ago he had been all but ready to rush out the door and escape this fantastical idea of being city sleuths. Even after nearly having his job taken, he was excited to get to the next plan. In some ways, he supposed, he knew Indra would come through. There was no way she would go so far for that to happen. Despite the model's hyperactive energy she was extremely caring, and that part of her always put him at ease immensely.

The lack of a car forced the two to travel on foot, but their journey was much the same as it had been prior to their escape. Jokes, memories and the occasional nervous glances at their surroundings finally lead them to the little sandwich shop Waylen had stopped at earlier this morning. He lead the way inside eagerly, asking Indra to find them a seat before taking his place in line to order. It was about ten minutes later before he could finally sit down, immediately digging into his food.

"Mm... saw ya lookn' deep in thought whle we wsh lookn' through the file. Wht were you thikn'?" He wasted no time getting to the point, his mouth full of a ham and swiss sandwich as he tried to catch up with Indra's thoughts. This time he wanted to make sure he wasn't left behind on anything.
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

MOOD: satisfied.
TAGS: Pipsqueak Pipsqueak

Indra has expected a lot of things in her life. She's expected to be called the wrong name by her parents with the amount of siblings she has. She expects to wait in line at a busy restaurant. Expects good food to taste good. What she doesn't expect is Waylen. They're standing just outside the forensic building, summer night air enveloping them both, as Indra expects him to start lecturing her. How dangerous that was. How he could've lost his job back there. But instead he laughs. Something Indra didn't not expect to happen in a million years. She blinks her pretty eyes as Waylen continues to laugh. Trying his best to speak between each chuckle, praising the young model for her acting skills of all things. And this time, it's Indra's turn for her face to flame up. She can feel the heat blushing the tips of her ears and the height of her cheekbones and she's quick to look away from Waylen's gaze. Maybe it had been the years they spent apart but honestly in Indra's memory, never has Waylen praised her for getting them out of something so spectacularly before. Doubling over as if she had told the greatest joke, and maybe she had. But the relief on his face says it all for Indra. Maybe that's why she kept getting them into trouble, just to get them out of it. Because of the way Waylen always light up after the dust had settled.

"You know my dad. He works in construction. The man can hardly figure out how to work his phone let alone half the stuff you do." Indra cracks, fully turning her attention once again back to her friend. Now his laugh was contagious as it broke Indra into her own little fight of laughter. Listening to him call her a genius makes her blush a little harder but she hides it well beneath the Chicago night sky. Shoving her hands into her jacket pockets while she glances around their surroundings. "C'mon, you didn't believe me when I told you I always get us out of trouble, did you?" Indra chuckles. She flings back the light hearted accusatory at Waylen, shaking her head. A warm hand brushes against her shoulder and the young girl stills at the touch. Hazel eyes find Waylen's hand squeezing her shoulder before they travel up to his face as he speaks to her. Thanking her again for getting them out of trouble with this wonderous glint to his eyes. Indra laughs softly, a sudden warmth traveling down her spine from the gaze that stares directly at her. The sensation makes her feel light and airy. Makes her want to run and get into even more trouble. But Waylen's hand keeps her grounded, and the mention of dinner has her own stomach grumbling. Even though she had finished Len's food not too long ago. She can blame her brilliant performance for her hunger.

Waylen mentions how they should show each other the photos they took and it's almost weird to hear Indra's other half jump on board with one of her ideas so fast. She levels her gaze with his own once more in a look of pure shock. Even more surprised her jaw hasn't hit the ground yet. "Waylen! How naughty of you." Indra teases, elbowing her friend in the ribs ever so gently as the two begin to walk towards the sandwich shop they both enjoy. "I like this older Waylen." Indra hums, giving him another jab as they continue to walk. A little hop to her step now as they head for the deli shop. Once again, they talk as if they have been friends for years. They laugh and joke the entire way to the diner. Walking shoulder to shoulder, conversing about the old times once again. How the old Waylen would have never offered to go along with the plan after having been caught like that. Back in middle school, the poor soul would've probably cried some real tears when they had been caught. Would've told Indra that was the "last time!" they were doing something like that. Only to do the same thing the next day. Older Waylen was much easier to get along with.

And while she liked to walk, she was more than grateful to see the shop just a few feet away. She almost considered yelling "i'll race ya!" but knew she would lose in the shoes she's wearing so she keeps her lips sealed tight. Following right beside Waylen, who holds the door for her, as they enter the restaurant together. The boy is hurriedly telling her to find them a seat so he can go and order and they can talk more before disappearing within the crowded line. Indra rolls her eyes at the desperation in Waylen's actions but deciding it's best not to pick a fight at the moment. She obediently trots over to one of the empty booths, sliding into the cold metal seat, as she pulls her phone out to examine some of the photos she took. She sits for the longest ten minutes of her life before Waylen is finally joining her at their table. Setting down his basket of food, diving into it almost immediately, before with a mouthful asks Indra what she was considering back in the room with the fingerprint file. The young girl glances up at her friend, peering beneath pretty little eyelashes, before reaching over and snatching a small piece of cheese from his basket. She tosses the dairy delicacy into her mouth and chews it up, gathering her thoughts for the split second, before responding to the boy.

"Nothing so far. I just thought it was weird that...if the force has suspects, why aren't they in custody? Wouldn't fingerprints be...I dunno, pretty evident to a court?" Indra states, shrugging her shoulders. The girl hums as her nails tap against the metal table. Her hazel eyes look over every little detail in the shop. Trying to connect some empty dots in her head but she just continues to think of nothing. "That's all for now," She replies, stretching her arms up towards the ceiling. "We should think more and look deeper into the photos we've taken once we get back to your place." Indra sighs as she leans back against the chair, turning her gaze to look back at Waylen. See stares at his sandwich that he's more than half way through with at this point and her stomach growls once more. She's quick to look away for the enticing meal and instead focuses on her phone. She swipes through the 20 or so photos she had managed to take before Elias had walked in on them, burning the images into her mind. And the only thing that really stood out to her was the fact that so far all the killings had been done with a knife. A large chef knife. And that each victim so far has been stabbed at least over thirty times. Which seemed a little...amateurish. No professional or well seasoned killer was going to just go all out with rage. These were somewhat personal attacks or something the killer just got off on doing. Random and meaningless which...was more stomach dropping than anything else.

Indra stretches a tan hand to take hold of Waylen's drink, pulling it up to her lips before taking a sip out of it. "From now on though, you're going to have to remember every little detail you might hear at the scenes now. Anything that could help the case." Indra states, pointing a finger at Waylen to let him know she was serious. "Now, hurry up and finish before I decide to come up with another bad idea before we get back to your place." She teases, reminding him of just how serious she was going to be if needed. Lifting her foot beneath the table, she presses the tip of her shoe against the other's shin, giving it a slight bump. She waits for a few seconds, tilting her head to the side as she sips on his drink, mulling over everything that has happened that night. "Too slow, I've already decided." Indra beams with a stark smile before hopping out of her seat. She moves quickly back to the door they entered in, pushing her way back out into the night air once more, heading for Waylen's home. There they could talk more openly without prying ears and compare any photos they might have taken.

Anything else was just to tease the boy.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Content/ Full

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ Hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
The sandwich was already halfway finished by the time they had delved into thoughts and questions about the escapade. Indra did bring up a good point though... Why weren't the police on top of this investigation? Come to think of it, nobody on the force really seemed all too bothered to talk about the case besides the specific few who were investigating. Waylen had been the photographer for three other cases before this one, and each time he specifically remembered that the guys at the precinct were more than willing to gossip about potential suspects and what they would each do if and when the perpetrator was found. This case, however, was hush hush. Every turn Waylen took in the lab, his colleagues seemed...quiet. Concentrated. He hadn't thought much of it until now, assuming they were just a little over their heads with this killer. It did seem more prevalent now when compared with Indra's ideas.

Still, he kept quiet. The brunette was more than willing to share his thoughts with Indra, but he wasn't one to cause a big fuss about such a tiny detail. Not yet at least. Instead Waylen broke himself out of his thoughts to stare at Indra's more serious demeanor, and her not so subtle glances at his food. He gave her a look he wasn't sure she caught and returned a playful kick of his own.

"If it's anything other than about this case you can forget it." He told her lightheartedly, desperately hoping she didn't actually mean what she said. He wasn't sure he could take another heart attack like tonight. Indra's words drew an indignant groan from him before she hopped out of her seat excitedly and headed towards the door.

"Go on, I'll catch up!" Waylen called after her before grabbing his sandwich in his hand and getting back in line. Thankfully it had shortened since the two had sat down, and five minutes later he walked out with a bag in hand, catching up to his friend and handing the model her own sandwich.

"You've got crazy good metabolism. I would be ten pounds heavier if I ate as fast as you." Giving her a little smirk they finally made their way back to his apartment, and he desperately hoped whatever she had planned would involve them staying inside for the rest of the night. He could feel his eyes growing heavy- His full stomach, shot nerves and the hot night air proved to be a dangerous combination. The photographer was tempted to ask Indra about the plan, but he was too nervous to know the answer. Instead, he was content to walk alongside her all the way back to his building until finally he was once again nearly busting down the door to get them inside.

Waylen fell through onto the wooden floor as the door flung unexpectedly open. He gave Indra a sheepish grin and waved a hand to indicate she could make herself at home. As he picked himself up to shut the door, a small sigh escaped his lips.

"So... I feel a little rude not asking what you've been up to since middle school. I mean we've been talking quite a bit since I came to Chicago and not once have I asked." He gave a chuckle that bordered on guilty as he went to rest in his armchair, simultaneously pulling out his phone to lay it on the table in case Indra was up for more talk about the case later.

"So? Anything as exciting as tonight?"
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

As Indra stood waiting on the street, she couldn't help herself from keeping her hands busy. Fingers tug at the edges of her sweater as she waits for Waylen, glancing around the looming dark street. The sun had vanished when Indra had first arrived at the boy's home, now the moon was shining ever so clear in the sky. She could just barely make out the twinkle of a few stray stars above the busy city lights of Chicago, even so they gave the girl a weird sense of comfort. Knowing they'd always be there. The bell of the deli door catches the young girls attention. Head snaps to watch as Waylen joins her once more onto the street. A strange, plastic bag in his hand. He always was a lover of food so she figures he just got himself another sandwich to stick in his fridge. To replace the one she had previously ate back at his place. Instead, a pale hand stretches the bag out to her. At the gesture, Indra can't help her mouth from slightly opening as a precious laugh escapes. She accepts the bag without a fight at all but that doesn't stop her from elbowing Waylen just a little.

"What? Trying to fatten me up, Len?" Indra asks teasingly, rolling her eyes as she tucks the plastic under her arm. She didn't particularly detest walking and eating at the same time but with an amazing sandwich like the one she was carrying, she was going to save it until they arrived back at his place. Just incase the worst case scenario happened where she dropped the sandwich. And that would end in tears she isn't sure Waylen wanted to be part of. She laughs as they move down the street in unison towards their new destination. "Thank you.." Indra blurts out, glancing away from the other as a sudden heat flames her cheeks over the simple gesture. He of course would remember this about her. How much she just liked food. From anywhere and everywhere. She never had a bad experience with any food ever and would continue to love it. And okay, maybe she wasn't being the most "secretive" about her stolen glances at his sandwich but the fact that he remembered even the tiny, albeit biggest, detail about her - well - it made Indra feel a little warmer inside. Knowing that even the years apart Waylen still was truly someone she cared deeply for and he the same for her. It was overall just a nice feeling to have someone to rely on so deeply.

The walk is longer than Indra remembers, but it's probably because her feet are tired from walking in her boots the entire day. Even so, she enjoys the quiet walk with Waylen. Their shoulders practically brushing against each other from how close they move in sync. They can blame it on the anxiety and fear of a killer still hanging around on the streets and nothing more. Either way the two talk to fill the space of said fear. To distract themselves for the brief moment until they're back at Len's place. Where he hurriedly tries to pry open the shitty wood door that's stuck in place. At least they don't have to worry about anyone breaking in quietly. Less of course it be Indra. But Waylen is a little too in a hurry for when the door finally gives way, unexpectedly, the man is tumbling inside. He falls with the loudest thud onto his own wood floor that Indra has to bite down on her bottom lip to stop herself from laughing. It doesn't work. She chuckles as Waylen waves for her to make herself comfortable as he scrambles from the floor.

"Such a gentleman." Indra teases, breaking out in a small fit of laughter before moving inside his home once more. Normally this time. She takes up her seat on the spare couch, prying into the plastic bag within her hands. She pulls her italian sub free from its wrapping prisoner before beginning to eat. She eats rather quickly now, since she doesn't want to waste time eating when they could be talking about the case, but Waylen's question stops her mid bite. To be honest, she wasn't rather prepared for the personal question this time. They had been apart for awhile, sure, but they fell back together again like puzzle pieces, even after all the time. She finishes the first half of her sandwich, picking up any stray lettuce that might have fallen, before picking up her other half.

"What's there to tell? Expected I'd be arrested by now?" Indra teases, flashing a pretty smile at the questioning Len, before sighing. Her attention draws to a little spot on the floor beneath them before she speaks back up once more. "I went off to high school, graduated. Moved out of my parents place. Tried out college for awhile but never really figured out what I wanted to do so I quit. And ended up becoming a model by accident." Indra hums, chuckling as she takes a few more bites of her snack. "My manager saw me walking one day while she was driving and said she just saw something in me I guess. I don't really know what she saw but here I am. It pays well and I enjoy getting all the cute clothes I can manage." She finishes with another laugh, shrugging her shoulders as she takes another bite out of her sandwich. For a moment, she sits in silence, entirely content as she eats her sandwich with a hum.

After a few more bites, Indra finishes up her sandwich. Taking the trash and moving to the kitchen to throw it away. When she turns to come back into the living area, the girl is discarding the boots she wears. She tosses the black shoes by the front door and returns to Waylen's side. A smile on her lips and hands on her hips as she stares at the other. "What about you Mr. Fancy Job. I knew you liked taking pictures but...pictures of the dead? Really Len?" Indra questions, lifting an eyebrow at her friend. It was true though. Indra always knew Waylen liked to take pictures, even back in middle school. How many times had they snuck into some building they weren't suppose to be in just to let Waylen get a few photos? Or the hundreds of times Indra scolded Waylen for being too distracted while taking said photos. How he had always been a little clumsy and forgetful to everything outside of a camera. But to Indra it was a sweet side of him too. How much he loved his own interest, even when he didn't talk about it all that much. Indra could see it in his pretty brown eyes. How those same brown eyes light up when Len happens to catch a random, yet perfect, shot. Or how his face splits in this wonderful smile when he sees the results of that shot. It was a talent Indra wishes she could have sometimes.

A sudden realization dawns on the young girl that she's probably been staring at Waylen for a little too long so she casts her eyes in the opposite direction. She waits for a few aching heartbeats before turning her hazel eyes back to him. "By the way, I'm gonna stay here tonight. Don't wanna walk back to my apartment this late so...lend me some clothes, I wanna get out of this skirt." She states, tugging on the hem of her skirt. And she's sure Waylen will jump to his feet and offer up some clothes like he would've when they were younger. He's just lucky she didn't take herself straight to his bedroom and start fiddling through his closet in search of something more comfortable. So she waits for him to get up and proceed to his bedroom, before following him and continuing their little talk about each other.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Happy/ Curious

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt/ Hoodie

tags
xxxena xxxena
Waylen was patient as Indra mulled over the question for a moment, seemingly caught off guard by his sudden interest. The temptation to apologize played at the edge of his mind, fearful that perhaps that was a bad question to ask. She didn't act as if there had been any incident in their years apart when he arrived, but that didn't mean there hadn't been anything she wasn't comfortable talking about. Thankfully it didn't seem as if his anxiousness was warranted, although her subtle obliviousness to obtaining her modeling career surprised him. As far as he was concerned, it was obvious why anyone would ask her for such a position. She was very pretty, and almost everyone they had ever met could see that. Indra had always been the one to receive valentines in elementary school, and Waylen remembered hearing about the many times she had been asked out in middle school. He would always get uncomfortable when she talked about it, as if he didn't want to concern himself with her love life. His parents had told him he was jealous, but he would disagree, explaining to them that it just wasn't his business. Photography had been the lifelong passion, relationships hadn't interested him in the slightest back then. There was simply nothing to be jealous of.

Of course, he kept his thoughts to himself.

"She didn't realize I existed, otherwise I'm sure she would've asked me first." He joked, nudging Indra playfully on the arm. They shared a laugh before she got up to throw her trash away. The brunette had expected her next question, but he wasn't prepared to answer. The problem was his life wasn't interesting. He shrugged casually before leaning back in the armchair.

"Well, to be honest I didn't realize that's where I was headed either. I got in the newspaper a couple of times for my photography, but taking pictures of crime scenes wasn't even an afterthought back then. I wanted to travel the world and take photos of people who, you know, are alive...and landscapes too. When I got into college I ended up majoring in photography, and my goal was to get a paid trip to Spain during my sophomore year. A friend of mine was actually the one who suggested I get into the forensics field, and I suppose after enough convincing he got his way. You know how I am, I have to try everything once." He forced a bark of laughter as he picked at his nails uncomfortably. It wasn't that it was a terrible story, but Waylen had always been aware of his inability to say no. If he had just done what he wanted instead of taking his friend's advice, he would have been spared the seemingly countless times he had been forced to lay his eyes on a dead body.

"Anyways, I switched my major and got an internship here for the Chicago P.D. I'm getting paid though, so I suppose I can't complain. Er... are you ok Indra?" He had been so busy babbling that he hadn't noticed her staring until he glanced back up. He gave her a sheepish smile, feeling his face flush again with her close inspection. Instead of answering him, she glanced uncomfortably at the door and announced her decision to stay the night. Waylen suppressed an eye roll before getting up to walk her to the bedroom.

"I've got an old shirt and shorts you can sleep in. Feel free to take the bed, I can sleep on the couch tonight." As they entered his decidedly small bedroom, he wasted no time in rummaging through his clothes to find what he had in mind.

"Sorry for the mess. I didn't really expect a visit today." His smile was evident in his tone as he tossed the oversized outfit her way.

"Although I'm impressed with your decision to not walk home. I would've expected you to pocket a knife and hope for the best," Waylen teased, picking out his own clothes to sleep in, "Anyways I don't think there's much else we can do tonight as far as the case goes. We defin-" The sound of a ringing phone cut him off. The photographer instantly recognized his cell, and he motioned for Indra to feel free to change while he answered it. Making his way back into the living room he slid the glowing green button over nervously, recognizing Alan's number instantly.

"Hello?"

"Waylen, it's Alan. We've got another report of a body near Locust and 8th." Waylen felt the blood drain from his face.

"Already," His voice came in a whisper, hoping Indra wouldn't be able to hear him from the bedroom, "this guy's moving faster."

"Mm. Can you come in?" Words caught in his throat as he pondered the question. On one hand, another crime scene would give him and Indra more information. On the other, the thought of her coming along as he knew she'd ask made him feel sick. It was one thing to look at the pictures, another to be there at the scene.

"I-uh-"

"No worries. It's late, we'll get Thomas on photography duty tonight. I expect you to be in early tomorrow though." Without a goodbye he chief hung up. It took a few seconds for Waylen to put down the phone, his hands shaking with anticipation and nervousness.

"We should probably take a look at those photos we took." Sitting back in the chair, clothes still in hand, Waylen explained what had just happened.

"Apparently there's been another body. I'm not going in tonight, but I've got to be at work early tomorrow morning. This whole case has just been... weird. The police have been really squirrely ever since the second body was discovered. Maybe we should start by looking up the victims? I remember their names from the cases I've been on, if you'd like to start there." He hoped Indra was still up for a bit of investigation tonight. The thought of the killer upping the time frames in between victims made his stomach turn. There was no way he'd be able to sleep tonight.
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

OUTFIT: waylen's clothes.

To be honest, Indra wouldn't have even considered Waylen going into a criminal science field if it had not been for someone else telling him to do so. He was always passionate about taking photos but not to the point that he would take photos of something he didn't want too. But she guesses that they were in the same boat. Doing something by accident that made them money. For once, Indra stays silent as she listens to Waylen explain his profession. Feeling almost sorry for him to have been stuck taking pictures of the dead, seeing all the things someone so young shouldn't be, just because a friend told him to do so. It hurt Indra to think about too much. Because how was she any different?

She distracts herself by picking at the edge of her skirt before Waylen speaks again. This time, Indra doesn't even bother to be embarrassed about getting caught staring at Waylen. She just turns her gaze away. Yet it doesn't stop the heat in her cheeks from flaring up. A blush, scarlet, paints beneath her freckles at Waylen's concern of her stare. And she's thankful for when he moves on quickly at the statement of her spending the night. It's almost amusing how Waylen just goes along with her schemes most of the time. Not even attempting to send her home. It makes the young girl smirk.

As if it's natural, Waylen rises from his chair and walks off to the small bedroom in his apartment. Indra is quick to tag along behind him. She wants to wear something more comfortable but if she gets the chance to sneak around Waylen's private home and look around his room? Indra wasn't going to complain. She practically slides along the wood in just her socks now, moving behind Waylen like a shadow as they slip into his room. Immediately her hazel eyes wander around the new environment. Soaking up she can see in her line of sight. Which, Len wasn't wrong. His room was messy but that was always a given. Usually her room was also a total mess for a week or two before she suddenly would get the worst case of ick and need to clean it. Then it would stay relatively clean until she fell under too much stress once again. It was a harsh cycle but the mess didn't turn her away or bother her. She found it kind of...nice. As if they're teenagers again, hanging out after school. Something she missed more than she'd like to admit.

Her attention is caught by Waylen as he speaks about her not having anything to protect herself at night and she simply lifts her eyebrow. Her fingers run over her skirt, grabbing the hem, and lifting it up to show off her bare thigh. Where a pretty black needle point knife sits in its holster. "Don't worry, I won't use it on you. Unless you ask nicely." Indra tease, dropping her skirt. Of course she wasn't stupid. She would always carry a weapon on her wherever she went. She was a pretty girl after all and their was a serial killer on the loose. She wanted to keep talking but the sudden ringing of Waylen's phone cut her off. She closes her lips as she observes Waylen, noticing his "oh shit" face immediately. It must be someone important, like his boss or something, as he tells her to get changed before exiting his room. Now she was really alone enough to casually look through his room.

She first makes her way to the closet. Rummaging around the several clothes he had hanging up. She pulls the seventh hoodie out before deciding there was going to be nothing of worth to look at in his closet. Since he still had the same fashion taste he had back in middle school. Indra moves on from the closet, turning next to his dresser near his bed. She looks at the several photos the young boy has taken over the years. The, far too many, pictures of bugs he found endearing. The pretty little flowers scattered about. Indra always loved his scenic photos more than anything of bugs or dead bodies. Not that she had a problem with bugs, or dead bodies, but it was nice to see a happier side of Waylen. And the family portrait hanging on the wall just beside his window is evident of Waylen's little happy mind. She can't help but laugh to herself while thinking of Waylen's family. His dad's have always been the coolest. The twins were like siblings to her as well. It was almost a little heart breaking as she had not seen them in so long but the same went for her own family. Even so, Indra manages to keep smiling before turning her attention to Waylen's bed and therefor, his bed side table. Where a photo of them stared back at her.

It was a rather simple photo of them. One from them in middle school of course. They looked so young and tiny back then. A time when Indra was taller than Waylen for a single week. Unable to stop herself, she reaches for the photo. Smoothing over the pristine frame. Indra had known Len had always been one for sentimental items, and documenting them, but she had never expected him to keep a photo of them from such a long time ago. How the times have changed. A year ago Indra had quite expected Waylen to have forgotten about her. They spent most of their childhood lives together sure, but that didn't mean she would've guessed he had always continued to care about her. It made her heart beat a little faster as her hazel eyes stare at the photo. Their smiles so big and eyes shining so bright, in such a simpler time, but it all felt as if it were yesterday. Something Indra would always be thankful for. How well the two still continue to get along.

Deciding she's been standing in his bedroom for too long, the young girl sets the picture frame back in it's spot. Reminding herself to ask Waylen for a copy of the photo in the wooden frame, since she didn't get to take the one she already owns (really she left it back at her family home but didn't want to feel worse than she already did about forgetting it). She moves back to the other side of the bed, quickly slipping out of her sweater and skirt, tossing her knife on his dresser, before putting on the outfit Waylen had haphazardly thrown across the bed before taking his phone call. She dresses in a pair of old white shorts, where they just barely stay up on her hips, tightening the string at the front as much as possible before deciding it'll be fine. Next, she slips on one of his shirts. A simple purple shirt, faded from being worn too much in the sun. A college logo, one that Indra did not recognize, splayed across the front. White letters chipped from age but gave the shirt a certain charm. Indra can't help but laugh before moving on, heading back to the living room where they had been casually discussing their lives before hand.

She enters the other room just as Waylen ends his phone call. And immediately Indra's interest is piqued. Waylen's brown eyes turn to look at her as she enters and she smiles a little, waiting for him to explain who was on the phone. Once he did, Indra stared at the other in disbelief. "You said no? Len! We could've searched the surrounding area for footprints or the new victim could've given us a better lead for tonight, ughhhh." The other groaned, throwing herself against Waylen's favorite recliner. She kicks her feet in the air before listening to her friend tell her how he would have to be up early and that they should work with what they have for right now. The girl pouts, knowing they could've gotten a lot more information from the new body found but ultimately gives up on it. It's late, the killer could still be around and hurt either her or Waylen, one of which she would never forgive herself for. She wouldn't be able to look herself in the eye ever again if Waylen had gotten hurt from one of her stupid mistakes. So she decides that it's the best call for them and gives up on being a little brat. For the moment.

A sigh escapes between her pursed lips before she stretches out fully along the chair. "I guess it would've been a bad idea and I'm the only one allowed to come up with bad ideas." Indra states playfully, letting out a small chuckle. She moves to press her foot against Len's thigh, pushing him back just ever so gently to get his attention. "Soooo, let's get to doing some investigating. Look up the names and let's see if any of them have any connection that way. Tomorrow we can print the photos we have on our phones out and get a better look at them. I also have a shoot to do later in the afternoon." She sounds with a hum, running a hand through the several curls atop her head. Twirling the strand with her finger as her hazel eyes return to Waylen's face. "You should def come with me to my shoot tomorrow though. If you have the time of course." Indra offers up, seeing as how she gets to see Waylen work in his job, he should at least come check out what she does at least once.

"I'll even buy you lunch, Len." Bribery. It was always, always, the best way to go with Waylen. Especially if the bribe involved food. No feelings would be hurt even if he did say no. Her modeling was not as exciting as his criminal investigations and photography. Maybe one day she'd even be nice enough to let him pick out a favorite photo spot of his and model for him. But for now she just focuses on their time together right then and there. Which meant looking over the photos. So she pulls her phone out, shifts herself to sit upright in the chair, and starts to look through the few pictures she managed to take before they were rushed out of the building.

"So. What's first?"

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Curious/ Tired

outfit
T-shirt, Sweatpants

tags
xxxena xxxena
Indra's moodiness had not been unexpected, but Waylen still hung his head like a scolded puppy.

"Yea, I know Indra and I thought about going, I really did, but how would you have come with me? There's no way Alan would have let you onto an active crime scene! And besides, we still don't understand anything with the information we have now... They've got this guy Thomas on photography tonight, so in the morning I'll ask him to give me the photos." It wasn't an instant solution, but it was the best he could come up with at the moment to ease his friend's racing mind. Thankfully she didn't put up much of a fight, and Waylen was happy to let it slide. Instead, at the mention of working tomorrow, her face brightened with delight. The brunette knew this meant another idea had just popped into her head, probably to replace the one lost tonight since it seemed she couldn't go one second without having a plan in motion. It was certainly tiring, but never boring. Indra and boring just didn't belong in the same sentence in Waylen's mind.

"Oh uh... yea! Yea I think I could swing by if you really want. Probably should talk to your manager beforehand though so I don't look like a creep." He reasoned with a chuckle before sliding his way back into his bedroom to get changed himself. His jeans were beginning to feel constricting after eating a whole sandwich, and he was ready to just lay back and theorize.

"And I know what you're trying to do, I'm not just coming because of lunch!" And it was the truth, although lunch was a big part of it. He was truly curious to see what his friend did at her job. All Waylen knew about modeling was the catwalk, but at the risk of sounding like an idiot, he didn't ask. Slipping on a green T-shirt and his sweatpants, he returned to Indra still lounging in his seat. If he had been in the right mind to move her he would have tried, but he had just realized she was actually wearing his clothes. Not that he had doubted her need for them, but actually seeing her using them gave him a weird feeling. It wasn't unpleasant, but certainly something he had never felt before.

With his face now burning tomato red, he accepted a place on the couch without complaint and hid his cheeks in his hands to keep Indra from making fun of him.

"U-um, right, ok. So... victims! Let me do a quick check." Waylen fumbled for his phone until he could get it unlocked and looked through his latest pictures. The first name in the files was Amelia Robinson, an older woman, seemingly around her early fifties, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Being a photographer for the police wasn't the greatest job, but it did wonders for his memory. He scanned her features for only a minute before deciding he would be confident enough to remember her if the need ever arose. Then, as diligent as he was at work, Waylen got to searching up the first victim. It took a good thirty seconds to come across the first big clue- one that nearly took his breath away.

"No way... Get this, so apparently our first victim, Amelia, used to work for the Chicago P.D. She got an offer as a private investigator five years ago and quit the force. That could explain why everyone on the force has been acting so weird! I'm sure a lot of people knew her..." Waylen clicked his tongue in remorse. It was unfortunate that any of these people had to die in such a way, but sympathy was certainly felt for his team. Nobody had said anything about their relationship to one of the victims, but he didn't blame them in the slightest. If roles were reversed, he didn't think he would tell the new guy either.

Scrolling back to the open tabs, the photographer went back to his camera roll and studied the next victim, Alexander Mitchell. Alex was even older than Amelia, but his youthfulness still played in his eyes. He seemed like a wonderful and kind man, even from the photo. And once again, Waylen did the same and looked him up. This time he didn't even have to click on a link, it was just displayed on the first page.

"Oh god..." Waylen muttered as he carefully read what was shown. Alex, too, had been part of the police department, having just retired two years prior to Alan, the chief, taking his place. The young man swiped his hand across his mouth in shock, now feeling nervous about the next victim.

He went back and found a name. Michael Vera. 34, Hispanic, dark hair and eyes. Then back again, typing the name slowly into the search bar. Sure enough, after a bit of digging, the Chicago P.D. link was listed.

"Indra, whoever this killer is... they're going after people who used to work for the police department." His voice was shaky, as if he just found out he was about to die. But that wasn't right, was it? All of these victims either retired or moved onto better things. Waylen had just gotten onto the team, not a lot of people even knew who he was yet.

"So... I guess we found a connection to the victims, but this just brings up more questions. Why only people who used to work for the force? Why not people who are on the team now? Er, not that I'm complaining. And also, if we could find the connections to the victims this easily, why haven't the cops done anything about it? Alan, I'm sure, knew all of these people. Why hasn't he bothered to put any of this information out there?" It was looking more and more like the police and the citizens were on two opposite sides of the case- One completely ignorant, the other too deep into... something.

"What have you got on the suspects? Anyone with a history of violence, or maybe a problem with the police? Maybe it's someone who got out of jail recently. You know, who got sentenced by all of these people who were working back then." If Indra happened to find someone who matched any of those descriptions, then what? It wasn't as if the two of them could just go and talk to a criminal! Neither of them were trained in combat, and he certainly wasn't about to knowingly let her walk right into danger. There had to be something else they could do...
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

MOOD: nervous and scared.
OUTFIT: waylen's clothes.

When Waylen had agreed to her little proposal, Indra had to stop herself from smiling too much. She laughed when he agreed but only on the promise to talk to her manager to make sure it was okay. Anything was okay as long as Indra said it was. Most of the time. But it was still funny to see Waylen trip over his words to agree to her little demand. She knew he was going along mostly for the free lunch, and whatever else he desired, so Indra really couldn't complain. She was mostly only joining the shoot for the free lunch as well. Okay, and the money. "You know it'll be fun!" Indra calls after the boy who moves to go get changed himself, laughing as his figure disappears around the corner. She straightens her back, stretching her arms towards the ceiling. While alone for the moment, Indra lets her mind wander to the past once more. The two use to have sleepovers all the time while growing up. Spending day in and day out always together. They would hardly sleep at these sleepovers though, far too many important things to do other than sleep. Like sneaking out of their homes to go to the nearby park or building a giant pillow fort to watch movies in until they were both too exhausted to lift their heads and fall asleep. So only some sleeping would be done but not by their own will.

Indra laughs at the thought of how much time they had truly spent together when they were kids. The picture of them in Waylen's room was testament to that enough. She can't help the pretty smile on her lips as her fingers play with the hem of the boy's shirt. Teasing and tugging at the seams while she waited for the other to return. Which she didn't have to wait long for he came trotting back into the living room wearing his own set of comfy clothes just a few moments later. Her hazel eyes watch the boy as he walks closer to her. Glancing at the tightness of his now green shirt along his forearms and shoulders. How comfortable his sweats sat on his hips, casually showcasing things that probably didn't need to be. And Indra has to turn her gaze away quickly. Hiding the blush stretching across her tan cheeks. Just at the same time Waylen does. Obviously the two had thought of something they shouldn't have, but neither were brave enough to speak up about it. Indra wasn't sure what she could speak up about anyway. It's not as if she had thought of Waylen like that...right?

Thankfully, Waylen's voice cuts through her mind, interrupting any thoughts she might have previously been thinking. She clears her throat, blinking away her prior distraction, before turning her full attention onto Waylen. She listens to him speak of the victims. The first, an older woman named Amelia, who use to be on the Chicago P.D. turned private investigator. Indra glances at the photo of a woman with blonde hair from her phone. Glancing over the several stab wounds buried in her chest. Even so, Waylen was no doubt right about why the team might've been acting a little weird about the cases. Indra is just about to ask if the woman had any family when Waylen mumbles softly to himself. Something Indra barely hears but the look of horror on his face is evident when she glances at him.

The next words that Len speaks silences Indra completely. A sour taste clings to her tongue and bile threatens to rise in her throat. It was the strangest thing to hear. To listen and watch Waylen's lips move to form such haunting words as his brain connected dots quicker than she could comprehend. Listening to her friend utter such a strange string of syllables made her skin crawl. A chill ran straight down her spine when Waylen mentions that the victims were all associated with the police force. That they had all been some part of the force, one way or another. Indra freezes. She wants to move to comfort her friend, as he should have nothing to worry about. The killer could be targeting officers who put them into jail at some point, not some dude who took photo's of the bodies they left behind. So Waylen shouldn't have anything to worry about. They both would be safe and promised to keep each other from harm. Indra would make sure Waylen would be safe. At any cost.

Unknowingly, tears slip from her eyelashes as she stares at her friend. But Indra is quick to realize she is crying and quickly wipes away any tears that might have fallen. She returns to normal as Waylen continues to speak. Collecting herself almost as quickly as she had after her little performance back at the forensic building. She hums in return to his questions, reaching up and brushing thick curls behind her ears. Her hazel eyes roam across the several photos of the suspected killer's and their fingerprints. She peers at the several names staring back at her. The first file reading something about how a man named Carl York had recently gotten out of prison for manslaughter. The next man, Fedrick Callahan, was recently let go from prison after being wrongfully arrested on charges that were quickly dropped. A woman, Jasmin Hardly, not too long ago blindly attacked a few officers. Most of the victims listed were simply either just fresh out of prison, going into, or returning back to prison. Indra sniffles a little, shaking her head as she struggles to connect anything. But with as little information as they had, it wasn't like they were going to solve the murder tonight.

"The people listed here have either just returned to prison or have just gotten out. Every single suspect has had a problem with the police in some way or another. It's impossible to pick just a single one of them to be the killer. Especially a killer who's intentionally going after the police. Now I understand why they might not have just brought every single one of them in for questioning..." Indra admits. She adjusts her seating position then. Turning to pull her knees up to her chest, resting her cheek against a single propped knee. "There's too many connections is the problem. Like, everyone on the list here could be the killer easily." Indra sighs, staring down at the several photos of the suspects fingerprints. Absentmindedly, her thumb strokes the side of his phone as her mind tries to comes up with any explanation to any of this mess that she has dragged them into. "We should try talking to the victims families tomorrow. See if we can find out if they had any problems with anyone before their...passing. They might tell us something they won't want to tell the police, ya know?" Indra suggests as she untangles her legs and scoots to sit at the edge of the recliner.

Finally, after what feels like an eternity, Indra moves her tired gaze back over to Waylen. Stares into his dark brown eyes with her own pitiful eyes. Either way, Indra laughs and flashes a soft smile at her friend. "And tomorrow, you can get the pictures of the new body from tonight. Also the file of the victim and we will...really see if it's going to be a string of police deaths. And Waylen..." Indra mumbles, fingers picking at an invisible piece of lint along Len's recliner as she attempts to keep herself a little distracted. "Please be safe. If it truly is...a killer after cops only...promise me, you'll be safe?"

And the words she speaks is so unlike Indra. She's never one to be cautious or to concern herself with worrying about what could happen to either one of them but this time...what if they actually get hurt? All because of her bad idea. She liked being in trouble but not putting Waylen's life on the line. She didn't care so much about her own, just his. Which is what friends were for, right? She would pray everyday to any god who would listen to make sure Waylen would be safe over herself. But for now, she would just hope he would promise to try and be safe. As much as possible.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Nervous, drained

outfit
T-shirt, jeans

tags
xxxena xxxena
Indra's explanation did seem to calm Waylen's nerves just a bit as she went over the suspects the police had named. As he had assumed, most of them seemed to be going after police who had involvement in their incarceration. As his nerves eased however, his sorrow grew. Who on the team did he know that was now silently waiting for their demise? Which one of them was now experiencing sleepless nights, knowing the connection and where they fit into the puzzle? The thoughts quickly took up his mind, causing panic to sink deep into his chest.

Thankfully, just before the tears could start, Indra's voice pulled him back to the present. Right now there was nothing he could do except keep himself and Indra safe. Her concern touched him though. He hadn't expected her to get serious about this, but he nodded solemnly in understanding.

"Y-yea. Of course. Always am." A weak smile played at the edges of his lips, and he felt more certain of that promise now more than ever. At least they knew this killer was targeting police. It wasn't necessarily a great thing, but it was a comfort to know Indra would be safe. They hadn't been together in years, but ever since their first meeting Waylen had felt compelled to watch over her. She had roped him into her orbit, and he was content to stay around. He supposed that's what made him so complaint to let her stay tonight. There was no reason for either of them to be alone.

"Why don't we call it a night, huh? I think we've got enough information to last until tomorrow, and I don't want to keep you up all night... Are you ok?" He was aware of the excessive amount of times he had asked her today, but it felt necessary. Indra was a do first ask questions later type of gal, and Waylen was simply there to both encourage her and keep her in line, which also included making sure her plans hadn't sunk her as well.

"I think we both just need rest. I'm getting up tomorrow around seven, so feel free to stay here until you do that photo shoot." He smiled at her before getting up to retrieve some blankets for himself.
--------------------------------------------

That night proved difficult to sleep through, at least for Waylen. He had tossed and turned until the alarm clock blared, informing him it was time to get up. Groaning, the photographer forced himself into a sitting position before grabbing the clothes he had laid out for himself the night before so as not to disturb Indra. There were no sounds coming from the bedroom, so Waylen assumed she was still asleep. No need to wake her. She had been through a lot already...

As seven thirty rolled around he was finally walking out the door and making his way to work. It was cloudy today, but that didn't stop the summer heat from rolling along the city, making Waylen sweat. Although he could have taken his car today, there was just so much on his mind that he felt walking would do some good. Of course, the usual paranoia that plagued him did not ease, even in the morning. Especially after what they had learned. Indra's voice rang through his head again and again as he made his way down the street, and didn't disappear until he was unlocking the door with his key card.

"Waylen! Good to see ya back today, we missed you!" Elias called from his desk, making Waylen jump.

"Oh, yea. Thanks. I'm just here to mull over the photos Thomas got last night." Elias nodded and motioned for the boy to follow him.

"You and the girl, huh?" It took a moment for Waylen to catch up, but when he did his face scrunched in embarrassment.

"I didn't skip work for her Elias. Shut up." His coworker chuckled as he led him into the back room. The photos he had taken of the previous murder had been moved onto a cork board in the back, while the new photos hung cleanly on the line. Even though Waylen had seen the killer's work, the new photos still gave him pause. Elias seemed to pick up on his hesitation.

"Gruesome, huh? This guy has really up'ed his game. The police are all freaked by it. Of course, they won't tell you that." The brunette nodded silently as he stepped closer to the photos. A young woman, perhaps in her early thirties, with red hair and the traces of her last scream etched onto her face.

"Elias... You wouldn't happen to know who she is, would you?" The man paused for a moment, scrutinizing the back of Waylen's head, before answering.

"Is this about your little investigation with, er-"

"Indra."

"Right. Did you guys come up with anything?" Waylen nodded absently, unable to take his eyes off of the body.

"Hm. Uh, yea, she used to be on the forensics team, actually. Her name was Hannah Laulen." At the mention of the forensics team, Waylen's blood ran cold, his breath catching in his throat.

"You don't say?" His strangled voice answered.

"Yea, pretty terrifying. What did you guys find out, anyways?... Er, Waylen?" It felt like minutes went by before he found his voice again.

"The killer is going after people who used to work on the force. Most likely they all had to have some part in locking them away. By the brutality of the kills and the strength used to do it, I'd assume this was a guy." Elias nodded, a movement which Waylen missed.

"You guys are pretty good at that. Maybe you should ask Alan to be on the force instead of taking pictures." It was a joke, but Waylen found it hard to laugh along.

"Y-yea. Maybe."

After that revelation, the rest of work went by slowly. He had texted Indra about her modeling gig and now waited with hope for her to respond. He wanted more than anything to get out of the lab, to go focus on something else. Anything else. He hadn't told her about the latest victim, deciding it best to show her the pictures and tell her the explanation when they met up again. Right now, he didn't want to distract her from her own job.
coded by reveriee.

sunshine

MOOD: calm.
OUTFIT: pin-up doll

At the promise of being careful, Indra let's out a breath she had no idea she was holding until it's released in the space between them. She could believe his word on that. As it was always Waylen who was the careful one. She was the one putting them in danger, just like dragging him into something as dangerous as tracking down a serial killer. Who was also still free, walking the streets. Able to threaten both their lives but by the looks of it...Waylen's more. Seeing how he was the one closely attached to the police force. So, although the promise helped calm her down a little, it did not smother her anxiety completely. But she nodded at the boy in relief, attempting her award winning smile once more.

"I may have gotten us into this mess but I will get us out of it, right?" She mildly teases, hoping the small joke will calm the two even further. In the end, Waylen decides they should get some rest, whether they're ready for it or not. It had been a long day, with far too many emotional rollercoasters the both had experienced in a very long time, and it was probably best they lay down and absorb everything. Take everything in stride. Something Indra was not use too.

It was endearing the way Waylen turned to ask her one final time if she was okay before they parted for the night. After all these years, at least he still cared about her safety and how she was feeling. Indra laughed to ease both the tension in their shoulders, rolling her hand ever so dramatically towards Waylen. "C'mon now, you know me better than that Len. I am fine." Indra replies, giving her friend a serious look. At the second mention of going to bed, Indra complies by standing up. Figuring she should just let him rest as he had to wake earlier than she did. No longer wanting to press on the investigation or the fears that suddenly sit within their chests now. Indra smiles as she steps between the chair and the couch, hand reaching out to ruffle some of Waylen's hair in a friendly way before walking towards the way his bedroom was. "Goodnight, Waylen." She mumbles before disappearing around the corner and off to bed she went.

For a long time Indra doesn't sleep. She lays in Len's bed, holding one of his pillows to her chest. She can't help but think of the victims or the victims to come. It was scary, even to the girl who wasn't scared of much, to think about how a serial killer could be after her friend one day. How even if he did not work directly on the police force, and was only their after the murders to take some photos, what if he became a target in the future? No, no. It wouldn't happen. He was far too nice and had only worked for the forensic team for maybe a few years. There were other cops the killer would go after first. They weren't even super for sure if it was just cops that were being targeted, it could be a coincidence in the end. She would just rather her friend be safe. Always. Not that Indra would want anyone else to be a target. They had families too, she's sure. Friends like Waylen had said before. People that would miss them. Indra, feeling a sudden spring of guilt, rolls over onto her other side. Brings Waylen's pillow along the way to smother her face with it. Maybe she would feel better after wiping away her shame. Thinking too long on it was going to drive Indra insane. So she empties her mind to try and sleep. Only when she sees a digital clock flashing a bright 3:34 a.m at her, does Indra finally relax enough to sleep. The last thing on her barely conscious mind was the smell of Waylen, wrapping around her like a blanket.

♡♡♡

After she falls asleep, Indra sleeps like the dead. She doesn't wake up when Waylen is getting ready for work. Doesn't wake as he leaves. Not even the gradually picking up busy Chicago streets wakes her. She sleeps peacefully, more so than she probably should, until her phone rings. A sharp, piercing noise startles the young girl to a full upright position. A gasp clings to her tongue, eyes glancing around the foreign room she lays in before she realizes where she's at. Her hand clutches at her chest as her heart hammers within her body. A jumpscare was always so welcoming in the mornings. Indra groans as the ringing from her phone continues. Her hand searches for the object as she closes her eyes to fight off the sunlight seeping in through Waylen's bedroom window. Finally, she grabs hold of her phone before lifting it up to her ear.

"WHERE ARE YOU??!" A sharp, familiar voice yells directly in her ear. Her manager, Leah, waits on the other side for Indra to answer.

"I'm uh...in bed, Leah." Indra replies finally, moving to run a hand over her face. Fingers prod through the several sleep tangled curls that lay on her head. Keeping her eyes close, she manages to scoot to the edge of the bed, turning to dangle her feet over the bed. Her toes touch the cold wood of his bedroom floor and she recoils just slightly. "Where are you?" Indra asks, grabbing Waylen's blankets and throwing them over her legs. Snuggling back into the softness of his comforter. Indra considers going back to sleep right then and there. Comfortable, warm, wrapped up in Waylen's blankets...yeah she could go back to sleep.

"Indra! Your shoot for Vogue starts in AN HOUR?! You need to get here NOW to get ready!"

At that, Indra perks up immediately, ripping her eyes open at the words of her manager. She glances at the clock over her shoulder. The red digital numbers staring back at her read 2:30 p.m. Now Indra was fully awake. How could she have slept this long? It was ridiculous! She had never once slept in so late, not since she was a teenager anyway. "Alright, alright! I'll be there soon!" Indra shouts before hanging up the phone to get ready. She's quick to throw the blankets off her body, tumbling out of Waylen's bed, before beginning to undress. She rushes across the room to his closet. Her fingers are quick to throw open the doors to his closet in search of something to wear, other than the clothes she had been wearing yesterday. The skirt wouldn't be bad to wear again, but she couldn't wear the sweater she left the shoot in yesterday again! Leah would definitely notice and make some comment about how Indra was sleeping at someone's house and give her an entire lecture of "what if the paparazzi saw you?" and Indra really wasn't in the mood for that lecture. She was already getting one on being late.

"Sorry Len, hope you don't mind." Indra mumbles to herself as she takes out a hoodie from his closet. She rushes to quickly slip the hoodie over her head and sport her black skirt from last before rushing to the front door. Her shoes are thrown on far too quickly before she's rushing out his front door. Thankfully, she's not too dumb and remembers to lock his front door before heading out. She tries for a cab in front of his house. Waving her hand around like some maniac who's in trouble. Which she was but no one else needed to know that. Yet everyone stared at her for it. After a few minute's, she flags down a taxi and scrambles into the back seat of the car. Quickly telling the driver her address and practically begging him to hurry up.

While she has the second, she pulls her phone out to scroll through the countless of messages she's received from anyone close to her. The 12 messages from Leah and her 2 missed calls. Her mother had messaged her twice, asking how she was and if she's been eating. Like everyday. A message from her younger sister asking her what color of nail polish she should pick. And at the very bottom was a single message from Waylen. She sighs, fully relieved to see his name on her phone, before she clicks on his message. To be honest, Indra had almost forgotten about inviting Len to her gig but she's glad that he sent her a message to remind her. She smiles down at her phone, sending him a quick message back to meet her at the address she currently was heading too, and to be there by three or so before sending the message off and putting her phone away.

The ride was about 10 minutes and as the car pulled up, Indra barely let the driver stop before she scrambled out of the car. Yelling a thank you over her shoulder, while paying, before she runs up to the front door of some giant building. She wasn't for sure what building it was or if she had been there before, as all the buildings she went too looked the same now, but she barrels in through the front door anyway. Thankfully, Leah is standing just inside and when she sees Indra just as Indra sees her, they both sigh in relief. They didn't have time to stand and argue about her tardiness as Leah rushes her off towards the changing room.

"You don't have to explain why you're late, I'm just glad you showed up as quickly as you did." Leah states, shaking her head as they enter the makeup room. "Although, this is a new luck for you."

Indra rolls her eyes but doesn't open her mouth to argue or banter with the other girl as her artist team sweeps in to fix her up. They quickly undress her from Waylen's comfortable hoodie and her skirt, moving her off to her large wardrobe. Indra can't remember what the theme of the shoot is suppose to be but the crew throws her into a pretty maroon, slip off silk shirt and a pretty cream draped skirt with golden heels to match. After her quick dress up, she's moved to a comfy looking white chair, where her hair is quickly done, along with her makeup. Her curly hair is somewhat under control for the moment. Straightened to her shoulders with her bangs curled into waves. Golden earrings catch the lowlight of the vanity mirror she sits in front of. Her lips are painted a sultry red while a mixture of gold and white eyeshadow dusts her eyelids. Highlights accentuate her cheekbones, giving her a more alluring look. Finishing up the look for the shoot.

After playing dress up, which took pretty much the entire hour, Indra is finally moved to meet the photographer. They exchange friendly greetings before he begins to place her into her cute little positions. She was like a little doll. Placing a hand here. Lifting her head at a certain angle or moving to lay on her stomach or back. Just being a little thing for the cameraman to work with to get a good shot. Maybe that was how Waylen felt. Just positioning his camera into every perfect picture to capture that one good shot and hoping he doesn't miss it. Indra is hoping he makes it to the shoot. Hopes he's there to watch before the two surely continue their little investigation. More or less likely the two were going to be working on talking to the families of the victims today. Finding if their loved ones had any more information on why the victims met their timely demise.

Her midday thoughts are interrupted when some noises rise from the back of the room. Her hazel eyes fall on a silhouette standing in the back. She peers over the shoulder of a few of her coworkers before seeing a tall man with pretty brown hair. Leah, her manager, is putting up a little bit of a fight of the man being in the room and Indra suddenly remembers she forgot to mention Waylen's visit to her gig. "Leah! He's with me!" Indra yells from her spot on a prop couch. The noise and sudden attention makes the cameraman yell for a break, thankfully, and Indra gets up from her little spot. She thanks the man as she walks by, heading in Waylen's direction. Where Leah gives her a little side eye, wondering how and why Indra would invite anyone to one of her gigs. Especially a boy she had never met before. And indra notices it, rolling her eyes before she calms Leah's anxious look and her worries. "Relax, Leah. He's a friend."

"Glad you could make it, Len."
Indra hums, smiling up at her friend. A blush barely brushes along her cheeks as she remembers the outfit and all the makeup she wears. Which wasn't any different than she normally wore but nothing like this in front of Waylen and she really, really hopes she doesn't look bad.

code by low fidelity.

Waylen Hansley
mood
Awed, nervous

outfit
Jeans, T-shirt

tags
xxxena xxxena
To say Waylen had been relieved to get the address from Indra was an understatement. As if the essence of life itself had come back to him, he drew a long, comfortable breath out. At least he'd be able to take a break from work for a while. The small backroom was suffocating, Elias seemingly more so. He'd been checking in with Waylen periodically since that morning, asking about the investigation and, most importantly, Indra. His coworker seemed convinced there was something going on between the two despite the photographer's denial, and felt the need to butt in with "tips for wooing woman". Although the brunette had not been interested in this in the beginning, after hearing some of Elias's advice he was downright mortified.

"I'm taking my lunch break early, I hope you don't mind." Elias glanced up from the computer just in time to catch Waylen heading out the door.

"Uh ok? When will you be back?" Waylen shrugged nonchalantly.

"Not sure. Won't be long, I promise." With a quick wave, he booked it outside, happy to be away from the man's scrutiny. It wasn't that he disliked Elias, but sometimes the guy really weirded him out.

With those thoughts traveling quickly out of his mind thanks to the fresh air, he took his phone out to reread the address Indra had given him. If Waylen remembered correctly, the studio was nearly on the other side of town. He'd have to get an Uber then...
--------------------------------

After waiting the longest ten minutes of his life- and nearly thirty more in an awkward car ride- Waylen found himself at the entrance of what he could only guess was the correct building. There was little in the way of signs to point out that he had, in fact arrived, but there was hardly any need for as soon as he stepped through the doors he was mombarded with questions from a shorter woman he'd never seen before.

"Who are you? You can't be in here right now, sir, there's a photoshoot going on right now."

"Uhh..." Waylen stuttered in utter confusion. Hadn't Indra told anyone he was coming?

Actually, maybe not. It was Indra after all.

"I-I-" Before he could even hope to defend himself, as if on cue, Indra came to the rescue, as she always did. The girl was dolled up prettily, her face seemingly glowing even without the spotlight on her.

"Indra!" A sigh of relief escaped him. However, something still seemed off. Everything was fine, clearly, but why was his heart beating so fast? And why did his face feel hot?

It was the weather, of course. Not to mention his near death by manager had freaked him out. Yea, that was it. Without looking too closely at Indra, he instead found himself glancing around the room.

"Fancy setup you have here. This is what you do all day?" He couldn't imagine being under the focus of a photographer, ironically enough. His place was behind the camera. Speaking of...

"Oh, is that your photographer? He's got a nice camera! Think he'll tell me where he got it?" Waylen was half joking, but it really was lovely.

"Erm... so what should I do? Stand here?"
coded by reveriee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back