• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Apartment on13th Street

Welcome to The Hotel on 13th Street. Now as most things in New York have a certain air about them, but this corner is the creepiest of all. Here, the buildings are made of brick that has cracked over the years. There seems to be shadows everywhere, as if the entire corner was covered in a distant shadow. There where cobwebs dotting the streets and this was defiantly not a place for people who are afraid of spider, as large ones with longs legs crawl around every corner. Here lies a creepy old hotel, which is in perfectly running order. Now it may not be the fanciest place on the planet, but it has what it needs. And old woman named Harper runs this place, and she is so old, that her wrinkles look more like small hand bags in cream color. Harper is the face of this hotel and you should consult her. She sits at her desk near the back of the entrance room.

@Kawashima Thunder

@clarinetti

(Post when you can!)

The first one to enter was Angela Kang. Her husband had to leave to go on important business trip. Because she just got back from Korea, she didn't really want to be boarding a plane again. The Jet Lag she had to deal with was already annoying enough. Instead, being interested in mysteries, she decided to go to the Hotel on 13th Street, hearing that the Hotel itself is haunted. As she got out of the Taxi, she tied her hair into a Ponytail before putting her Cardigan back on, because it was a bit warm in the Taxi. As she pulled her suitcase into the Lobby, she wondered. Because she was going to be staying at least until her Husband gets back. Then again, is a Haunted Hotel really a place for a pregnant woman? Yes, Angela was expecting her first child and she was seven months along. Should probably stay away from the stairs if that's the case. Because one bad move and she could have a miscarriage. But the baby meant a lot to her, so she didn't want to lose it. Although feeling uneasy, Angie slowly walked towards the back of the Lobby, approaching Harper.

Mitsuki was playing with the taxi window, rolling it up and down. Up and down. Up and down... It was almost hypnotic. She smiled softly and looked up to see the taxi driver glaring at her. She edged slowly away from the window and offered him a shrug as an explanation. He turned back to continue glaring at the red light that preventing them from moving. It was very quiet in the back of the taxi; Mitsuki had a rather quiet air about her. Quiet and boring. Once, in high school, they had to write about the person sitting next to them. Mitsuki wrote paragraphs on the boy sat next to her and his insistent habit of drumming on the desk with his fingernails. The boy wrote nothing and blamed it on Mitsuki being "boring".

When the taxi jolted forward, Mitsuki was thrown from her thoughts and nearly from her seat too. She was not used to this New York traffic. It was horrendous. Though, Mitsuki didn't have a driver's license so she wouldn't be driving around in traffic anyway. Instead, she would walk everywhere. Walking was healthier, easier and considerably safer. Which was the logic behind Mitsuki never getting a driver's license. The car pulled to a sudden stop and Mitsuki assumed it to be more traffic. Until the taxi driver turned around and held out his hand for money. They were there. The Hotel. It was a strange place and Mitsuki's heart thudded in warning.

Mitsuki handed over what she hoped was the right amount of money and thanked the man quietly for his diligence through poor traffic. He snorted at her, so she grabbed her bag and got out of the car. Slowly, she walked towards the building- and she shuddered. Her skin prickled as if wires were under her skin instead of blood. She felt as if someone had hit her with a red hot poker. She took a deep breath.

"Nerves." she decided, before walking towards the building. She headed inside and found that she was not the only person here. Strange, considering how creepy this place looked. Mitsuki didn't think that many people would be here, which was mainly why she decided to stay here. She liked the peace and quiet.

Mitsuki stood behind the Korean woman and waited for it to be her turn at the desk.

On a shelf behind Harper, Kurt was curled up on a pillow in his cat form, tail slowly swaying through the air and eyes half open. Nothing much had happened recently, but the night before he'd spent several hours getting rid of mice on the third floor and was tired now because he fell asleep in his physical form. Not the smartest idea he had to admit, standing on his paws and stretching his back before he gracefully jumped to the floor, jogging over and up to Harper. The bell on his neck jingled quietly when he walked, and the old woman turned and picked him up, smiling before setting him on the counter next to her. Kurt purred happily, knowing it's what cats did when they got their way, and sat up on his haunches.

There were two women in front of the desk waiting for help, and Kurt studied both of them with his unnaturally blue eyes. The one in the front was at least six and a half months pregnant, and a second look around the lobby didn't turn up any potential husbands or fathers. His fur stood on end for the briefest second in annoyance, but Kurt quickly relaxed and mentally scolded himself for having such old fashion views. Plus the father or whoever might have just been in the car or coming later. Turning his attention to the other one, he tilted his head to the side slightly. She was another Asian woman, but younger than the pregnant one and stood quietly back. If he didn't know better, Kurt would think she was a child, but she looked old enough to be on her own. Kurt laid down, curling his legs under his body and looking between the women and meowing loudly as a way to greet them, then closed his eyes and allowed himself to take a quick nap.

Before talking to the woman, one of the first things that Angela noticed was a Cat sleeping on the counter. She didn't have any pets herself, because she needed to focus on caring for her baby when it arrives. Because of the unsettling vibe the Hotel was giving, Angela felt her baby start kicking. To calm it down, Angela placed one hand over her stomach. "Hi, I believe I had reserved a room here. I just came to check in." She rested her free hand on the counter, peering at the sleeping cat out of the corner of her eye.

@Icefox11

Last edited by a moderator:
As exhaustion threatened to overcome him, Nathan Waters strolled through the doors and into the old building which was, for the time being, his home. While the place often gave one a vague sense of unease, he had developed an immunity to this discomfort, his mind instead relishing the thought of entering his apartment, putting in his earplugs, and relaxing a bit- it had been a rather tedious day at work, and though he typically stayed overtime in order to make a good impression on his supervisor, the thought of sitting in that bright, noisy space any longer was unthinkable. He was briefly taken aback by two guests who were waiting to speak with Harper (He couldn't recall the last time he had seen anyone here besides the usual tenants), but collected himself before continuing across the lobby towards the stairs, watching the scene from the corner of his eye.

(OOC: I'll introduce my other character soon, just want to wait for others to reply.)

Mitsuki was unsure of where she should be looking. She didn't want to be caught staring at anyone so her eyes bounced from the woman in front of her to the man walking across the lobby to the woman behind the desk and finally fell on the cat. Mitsuki adored cats. She'd always loved cats. She'd had one when she was younger but it'd gone missing and she'd never wanted another one after that. Nervously, she glanced around at everyone before she moved forwards.

She ran her slender fingers down the cat's back.

"Aren't you beautiful?" she mumured, "Aren't you a beautiful little tiger? You are absolutely gorgeous." She picked the cat up in her arms and buried her face in his fur, "Mitsuki will take care of you, you beautiful little thing." She kissed the top of the cat's head, "Mitsuki loves you, little kitty." Then, she realised that she was showing herself up and blushed. Slowly, she put the cat back down on the counter and ran back to her place in the queue- if two people could count as a queue. She kept her eyes focused on the floor, feeling embarrassed.

After a brief interaction with Harper, Angela received the key to her room. At this time, her back, stomach, ankles and feet all started hurting at the same time. Because it was all followed by a short moment of heartburn, she decided to take a quick break before heading upstairs. As she sat down in a chair, she started holding her stomach, which made it hurt a bit less. She then stretched out her legs, resting her feet on the Coffee Table in front of her. She then closed her eyes and took a Deep breath.

"Mitsuki will take care of you, you beautiful little thing...Mitsuki loves you, little kitty."

caw.

A few flaps of its wings send several sheets of paper sliding across the counter, a couple of them falling off onto the ground. The raven’s flight inevitably disturbed several people in the narrow and over-crowded entrance to the hostel. The disturbance was temporary, however, as it soon perched itself on the edge of the counter, near where the cat - just laid down from the embrace of the young girl now at the end of the queue - was sitting.

The bird turned to face the cat, and squeaked briefly in protest.

How come you get all the attention from the pretty human.

It was, of course, not that she actually yearned for the same affection, but an argument made just for the sake of it. Claudia Noether, as those familiar with her should already know all too well, never really minded.

She took fight once again, travelling a brief distance in the air to the top level of the shelves that were placed against the wall, near the upwards staircase. Steadying her foothold up there, she tucked in her wings a bit more neatly; and decided to stay and watch for a while.

Not like she had anything better to do.

Having just returned from a walk on the streets, Julian Lawrence was careful not to have himself or the little bag of groceries in hand accidentally bump into the doorframe - or any of the several people congregated at the lobby, for that matter.

He gave a quick nod at Harper before turning his attention to the several other people in the area. Nathan, resting at the stairs, seeming more tired than usual. Immediately acknowledged were also the presence of two other tenants: the cat on the counter - Kurt - and Claudia over there. The two other people in the scene, however, he didn’t recognize.

Soon the woman at the front of the queue acquired her key and hurried up the narrow staircase. Julian decided she was likely a new arrival. Who remained, then, was the girl standing in front of the counter, eyes pinned to the ground in apparent embarrassment.

“You’re up, young lady.” He hinted, inferring that she had been waiting for her turn at the counter. He realized only later he probably spoke those words in slightly louder a voice than necessary.

“Enjoy your stay.”

He smiled - somewhat apologetically, for potentially giving the girl a fright when she was too focused -, before then carrying on his way heading upstairs.

Kurt woke up when Nathan entered, watching him cross the lobby and wondering why he looked so tiered. Suddenly someone was petting him, and he looked up to see the girl. She was petting him and mumbling compliments to him, and he purred happily. Even when she picked him up -not his favorite thing at all- he continued purring. Mitsuki, as her name turned out, then put him down back on the counter. He meowed at her as a sort of 'Thanks', settling himself down to curl back up on the counter.

Claudia came and flew over, causing a ruckus as she settled down next to him. Rolling his eyes, Kurt knew she was just trying to start an argument and sat up.

Find someone else to fight or I'll eat you like a real cat would.

He threatened jokingly, inwardly shuddering at the thought of eating something with feathers before jumping down to the floor when he felt someone else enter the building. The bell on his collar jingled as he walked over to and followed Julian, looking up at the groceries he was carrying hopefully, blue eyes going back and forth between Julian and hopefully a treat or food for himself.

@eheu

Mitsuki wondered if this kind of stuff happened everyday here. Cute cats and scary birds and- then suddenly, somebody was talking to her and her head snapped up.

"You're up, young lady." It was her turn. Mitsuki blushed and realised that she hadn't been paying enough attention. Mumbling apologetically under her breath, Mitsuki hurried forward. She gave her name and waited, her hands resting on the counter. A cobweb caught on her fingers and she frowned in disgust. She wiped her hand on the edge of the desk. Thankfully, she was given her key so that she could escape this madness.

Sliding her key into her pocket for safekeeping, Mitsuki hurried towards the stairs and began up them, a bag in each hand. Not so fast that she'd bump into someone but not so slow that she was blocking people. She made it about half way up the stairs when her head hurt suddenly as if she had hit it on something. She winced and had to stop where she was for a moment. Then, Mitsuki continued up the stairs.

After a few minutes of resting and recuperating, Angela got ready to I and use the Elevator, only to find that it was temporarily out of order. She sighed before looking down at her stomach. 'Really? Guess I'll have to go and take the stairs.' She sighed. She then lugged her suitcase over towards the stairs. Angela had to be very cautious about each step. She didn't exactly want to take a fall because if she did, it may cause her placenta to rupture, which can prove fatal for the baby. After a couple more minutes, she caught up with Mitsuki.

@Fallen from Heaven

Mitsuki turned to find that the other woman had caught up with her. She bit her lip. She couldn't watch a pregnant woman struggle up the stairs with a heavy suitcase.

"Let me help you." she said, quietly. Smoothly, she slung one of her own bags over her shoulder and took the pregnant woman's suitcase in her right hand. Mitsuki thought for a moment about introducing herself, then wondered if that would be weird. She wondered if she should ask the other woman how her baby was doing. Would that be a strange thing to do? She didn't want to make a bad impression on somebody that she could potentially meet again. Eventually, Mitsuki decided to stay quiet and kept her questions to herself.

"Oh, thank you. I just wish the Elevator wasn't out." Angela was happy that Mitsuki was there, otherwise she'd be spending at least ten minutes climbing each flight of stairs. The Baby was already heavy enough as it was, so dragging at least ten pounds of clothing, toiletries among others, wasn't the easiest thing in the world. "Every day, when I don't think I can possibly get any bigger and then I do." she commented as she followed Mitsuki up the stairs.

"Mhm." Mitsuki said, unsure of what else to say. She readjusted the bag on her shoulder and sighed softly to herself. She brushed her hair back behind her ear.

"Are you sure you should be staying in a place like this? I'm no expert, but I imagine bad enviroments can be damaging to babies." she regretted it, the moment she said it. Now, she would have to attempt to hold a conversation. She should've stuck to stony silence.

Allowing himself a moment of rest before attempting to climb the narrow steps to his apartment, Nathan checks his phone absentmindly, noting the message Sarah must have sent earlier ("Just to remind you, I took a shift tonight so I'll be home late. Sorry- there's leftover chili in the fridge. Hope you're well."). As he dawdles, he passively notes Julian walking past him up the stairs, and that the two guests proceed to go up also, leaving Harper and the raven (It was always hanging around this place for some reason) in the lobby- The cat must have wandered off, probably to mewl for food. Sighing, he begins to make his trek up the steps, going up only one flight before seeing the guests from before slowing ascending the narrow staircase. Spying the presumably heavy suitcase in one's hand and the pregnant women struggling, he can't help but grimace in exasperation- at this rate, he'll collapse from exhaustion if they don't hurry up. And really, a woman at this stage of pregnancy should hardly be standing for too long, let alone walking up such treacherous stairs.

"Pardon me, but can I assist you two ladies in any way? Do you know how to get to your rooms?" he asks politely, pushing the bulk of his exhaustion and irritation away to offer a small smile.

While walking up the stairs, Angela's stomach started hurting. However, she did her best to shrug it off because she was more then likely standing for too long, let alone climbing a flight of stairs. Since it did also change her center of gravity, she had to hold it if she was to continue climbing up the stairs. When asked about her stay by Mitsuki, she answered honestly. "Well, my Husband's out of town and I don't really like being at home alone, so I figured I'd stay here for a bit. I found most other places to be too costly. Don't really want to deal with Jet-Lag right now either, so I came here." She answered. She then heard a man calling down to them. Angela was also pretty sure that she was going to be staying on the same floor as Mitsuki, would be even better if they shared rooms, but that's probably not possible, unless they were right next to each other and chances of that are slim. "Um, we're okay. Thank you though!"

Mitsuki waited while Angela spoke and then added:

"We're quite alright, thank you. We don't require any assistance." Finally, they reached the top of the stairs and Mitsuki nearly passed out then and there. Her bags were heavy and the other woman's suitcase wasn't helping at all.

"Here." Mitsuki handed the suitcase back to the woman, "Have a nice stay. I wish you and your baby well." She bowed her head in politeness and hurried off to find her room. Luckily, it didn't take her long to find it. She unlocked the door, went inside and closed the door carefully behind her. She let out a sigh. Why must human interaction be so exhausting? Mitsuki brought out her phone and dialled the number, putting it to her ear.

"Hi Mom." she said, "Yes, I'm here. No, I haven't done anything illegal. No, I have not eloped, don't be ridiculous-" With her phone balanced precariously under her ear, she began to put her things away.

While walking to her own room, which happened to down the hall from Mitsuki's, Angela figured it was time to rest since climbing out those pitiful stairs was very exhausting. Upon closing the door, she set her key on the Kitchen Counter and her suitcase aside before raising her sleeves and going into her bedroom to grab a pillow and going back to sit down on the coach in the living room. Her Phone rang in her purse. When checking to see who it was, she saw that it was her husband, who was nicknamed 'Nampyeon' in her contacts. She picked up and her dialect quickly changed to Korean. After a few minutes, she relaxed herself, putting the pillow she took from the Bedroom and positioning it by her back, where she felt a dull pain as she relaxed herself. The excess standing might be causing it. She might just have to relax for a little bit. As she held her stomach, she started singing in her native tongue, looking down where her future child was resting.

"Hmm, alright then, enjoy your stay." Nathan replied, watching as the pair eventually made it to their floor and began shuffling down the hall, clearing the stairwell. With an unexpected burst of energy he sprints up the remaining two flights, slowing to a jog as he turns the corner and reaches the door, fumbling through his pockets to pull out the key and jam it into the lock. After struggling to turn the knob, the door clicks open and he walks in, quickly locking the door and shedding his bag and coat to the side (He'll hang them up later).

Spying the bottle of pills on the kitchen counter, he immediately pops two into his mouth, ignoring the chalky dryness as they begrudgingly slip down his throat. Fifteen minutes from now, all he'll be able to hear is the cars from the street below, the occasion footsteps from the hallway, and the microwave heating up his dinner. The promise of peace and quiet so close, Nathan allows himself a smile as he collapses onto the squishy sofa, silently counting down the moments until his mind can finally be at ease.

As she pushed back another yawn, Sarah Barbieri couldn't help but look at the clock on her computer yet again- only eight minutes left until her break time. Eight minutes equaled about 15-20 more phone calls, provided that everyone didn't answer or immediately hung up on her- a relatively typical occurrence. She didn't blame them- who wants to waste their time filling out surveys about smoking habits or comparing internet vs. TV usage? But that was the job, and until she can find a full time position that offers the same hours, she'd just have to deal with it.

She pulled from her train of thought as someone finally answers her, a man with a rumbling bass voice. Clearing his throat, she begins going through the script which she could recite from memory at this point."Good evening, I'm with the Census Bureau, and I was wondering if you would be willing to take a few minutes to-" "Ah, no, I'm not interested, bye." the voice on the other end interrupts hastily, and before she can reply, is left only with a dial tone.

She looks at the clock again, but the most she can manage is a small sigh of relief as the number moves- she has fifteen minutes to stretch her legs and nuke some dinner before she's confined once again to her cubicle for another two hours...

find someone else to fight or I’ll eat you like a real cat would.

Claudia twisted her head - one of those gestures that she secretly enjoyed doing because they were only possible with bird anatomy - to look towards Kurt, who lept down away from his seat and trotted over to the staircase.

Meanie.

She let out a short croaking sound in disapproval, before resuming watching the happenings in the lobby. There wasn’t much that was still happening, though, as the temporary queue in front of the counter quickly cleared out.

Was she more tired or hungry? That was the one question Claudia considered first when it came to deciding what to do next.

This particular day, however - incredibly - she wasn’t much of neither.

She therefore resorted to staring judgingly as Kurt went over to bother Julian.

Julian stopped at the first step onto the stairs when he noticed the cat.

“Oh come on.” He laughed, as he stepped clear of the stairway entrance to make way for the two new residents that were headed up. He looked at Kurt as the cat pleadingly shifted its sight between him and the plastic bag.

He flipped through the bag, meanwhile trying to match the items he remembered purchasing to the ones that he asserted to be esculent by cat standards. A moment later and still no satisfying result.

“Do you...” He scratched his head and then tossed the can of bean soup back into the bag, “..okay, I don’t know.”

He looked at Kurt and smiled somewhat apologetically, and proceeded to pat him on the back instead.

“Or you know, I’m sure I could you something from my room, if you’re really hungry.” He offered - he wasn’t really that sure about the ‘sure’ part though.

“Or even better, follow me up there, sit down and have a drink. Or something.”

She would just keep wandering around, she figured. Flapping her wings only intermittently, she circled above New York’s familiar cityscape - towering buildings, streets intertwining into the mesh overlaid upon the entire metropolis.

The weather was pleasant today, for the most part.

A while later, she turned around to fly back near the concrete building that was the hostel, complaining mentally about the inconsiderate human minds not marking the levels from the outside as well.

One, two, three...four? Wait did I skip-

”No, I haven't done anything illegal. No, I have not eloped, don't be ridiculous-”

There was someone already in the room - that pretty human that was with Kurt back at the lobby.

So she did count wrong. Well, whatever. Might as well.

She would’ve scoffed, or maybe chuckled, upon hearing that from outside of the open window; but then it was impossible for a bird to drive air through its nostrils to make the same sounds a human would. So instead she remained silent.

The frame provided her a spot to perch, but she only went as far as that.

You don’t go into someone’s room without them saying its okay, she noted, manners.

So the crow folded its wings neatly to the side, adjusted its stance on the window frame, and blinked a few times; looking curiously at the young human unpacking her belongings while speaking to her parent through the mobile device.

"Mom! Mother, I'm hanging up now. Bye." Mitsuki ended the conversation abruptly and threw her phone down in annoyance. Why didn't parents understand anything? Even now, when Mitsuki was an adult, her mom would not leave her alone. She rolled her eyes and finished putting everything away. Mitsuki felt a cold breeze and shivered. Window must be open. She went to close it and was surprised to find a bird perched there. She screamed and stumbled backwards. She wasn't scared of birds or anything. No, no, no; Mitsuki liked birds. She just wasn't expecting to see one perched on the window frame. Slowly, she crept back towards. She was careful to stand several feet away, as she peered at the raven.

"Hello." she said, hoping the bird wouldn't tear her face off, "What are you doing, you silly bird? Ravens don't live inside. Well, not normally anyway. Are you hurt? Are you hungry?" She reached out a hand and gingerly stroked the bird. She just hoped it wouldn't nip her fingers or scratch her face or anything.

After about an hour of lazing around, Angela just started putting her clothes away before storing her Suitcase in the Closet by the front door. Afterwards, she just grabbed a blanket from underneath the TV so she can go ahead and take a nap on the couch. As soon as she was on her side, she felt her baby kicking. She then patted her swollen belly, smiling. "Alright, Mommy needs to sleep, so no kicking." She mused as she relaxed herself. In response, the baby kicked the palm of her hand. Angela smiled as she fell asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back