• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Drabbles

The Creator Prime]Define drabble. [/QUOTE] [FONT=Kalam] [/FONT][URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drabble&defid=1114848 said:
drabble[/URL]

A short piece of writing (usually fanfiction but sometimes original), usually no more than a 1000 words (although length is debatable) and often not bearing any real direction or plot. Drabbles are more often used to make a point about the characters or events involved, or to provide an introspection or specific point of view.

"I wrote a drabble fic about (insert own fandom). It's not very long but it shows how (insert name) would react to (insert event)."

Source:
Urban Dictionary: drabble

[QUOTE="The Creator Prime]Define drabble.

[/QUOTE]
IT'S THE SECOND PARAGRAPH, YOU POOP.

I hope this fits a drabble. The category of this one would be slice of life.

I just figured I'd write something. By the way what time zone are you using to determine what day it is?

background: random home, random town, random person :) fill it in yourself.

writing prompt: Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

It was Christmas eve, the Christmas tree was decorated, soon Santa would be coming with presents. Looking outside the rain was gushing against the window. Will he be fine traversing this weather in his sled? It would be the first Christmas without his father. Apparently he would be away on a business trip. I wish dad was here, we could be playing backgammon, checkers, or chess. At least something.... The storm was only getting worse. A flash could be seen, not long after a low rumbling followed. Looking out from under the table, fearful of what might happen. But nothing happens. I hate thunder and earthquakes. They're so unpredictable... Slowly falling asleep. Suddenly you hear a loud sound coming from the fireplace, from out of under the table you see 2 red boots with white on the top. Looking up you see this man in a red outfit standing there looking at you, "Merry Christmas". Hearing the voice you dive at him crying. Believing it is your father surprising you with his presence during Christmas.

The following morning, the sun is shining. By the Christmas tree lie a couple of presents for you. Was it Santa Claus who came by or was it your father? Whoever it was you haven't slept that well through a storm.

The Melancholy of a Martyr

Prompt: Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

Characters: Caziban and Sudir

“Describe it to me.”

“Cazi?” Sudir glanced up from their book at the sudden vocalization of their partner. Caziban had been silent for a good hour and Sudir had thought they were asleep on the sofa.

“Outside. It sounds unusual, and I’ve puzzled it for long enough.” Caziban stated as they stared at the ceiling with glassy eyes.

Sudir frowned, Caziban must be unable to recall the memories of the astral season prior to their imprisonment.

“It’s the astral storm, you used to love to watch them. It’s a vibrant stardust storm with reds, purples, blues, and oranges swirling about. It’s pretty noisy but if you stay inside you’ll be fine.” Sudir described the sight to their partner, taking a special appreciation for the sight themselves considering Caziban was unable to see it any longer.

“I used to love to watch them. Must have been a lifetime ago as I barely remember it.” The pair dropped into silence once more. Caziban didn’t want to be pitied for his state, he preferred to make these statements dryly without consolation.

“Are you hungry Cazi?” They just shook their head and continued staring forward.

“How’s the Shell project going? You never talk about it.” Caziban stared in the direction of Sudir, but instead of looking at their face Caziban focused on the table next to them.

Sudir sighed and pressed index and thumb to the bridge of their nose. They were scared to ever dare mention the project to Caziban.

“It’s going fine, we’re having a difficult time finding subjects for testing but the progress on the early stage subjects is fine. Assimilation with communication channels is coming along, and we just had the third successful test flight last week.” Sudir sipped their Ippit tea but dryness in their mouth refused to subside.

“What are the requirements to get into the Shell project?” Caziban asked with a lump in their throat that Sudir could clearly hear.

“Cazi…”

“Please, Sudir.”

Another solemn sigh.

“A soundness of mind is the only main requirement as well as a willingness to undergo several operations to replace the veins and arteries with circuitry for connection. Minimal social ties and no responsibilities are also preferred.” Sudir could also feel their own lump in their throat as their tear ducts began to overflow.

“Sudir, these shells, can they see in their new body?” Caziban’s voice strained but remained composed. “Can a shell feel purpose?”

“Yes Cazi, shells have their optic nerves connected to the on board camera system. If the optic nerves are nonfunctional then we hard wire to the brain. A shell is the heart of a supercomputer, they have more purpose than some ever get to know.” Tears now were free flowing, but Sudir dared not choke.

“Most memories of the past life survive the transition, but are overridden by the installed operating system which pushes the capacity of normal brain functions. Shells go on to be very forgetful of prior history and personal interaction.”

“I would never, and I swear upon the cosmos that that is true. This Chagri would never forget their Sudir. No matter what you say, I would never feel meaning again without you.” Caziban’s voice was tight and everyone of their facial muscles was drawn taut.

“My Cazi will see the astral storm again, and many sights the likes no Chagri has seen before.” Sudir stood up hurriedly dropping their book on floor. They clasped the blue haired one’s face between two hands before placing a kiss upon their lips.

“I will still love you no matter how you are, I loved you then, I loved you now, and I will love you till my last breath.” Sudir knew, truly, deep down that Caziban would not be the same after the transition. They would become robotic and incapable of the spectrum of emotion they knew before. Sudir wanted Caziban to forget a year ago when they were held captive and tortured, left in the blind and amputated state they were now in. For that end, Sudir would bring them into the Shell project.

November 29th: The Weather Outside is Frightful

Character: Danni Rinaldi

Hellfire rained down from skies that boiled black as pitch. Not the act of a righteous god, but of hardened, soot-faced soldiers who sent balls of flaming tar catapulting through the air, accompanied by the screams of the dying and the mad. From the mouth of the cave that served as her makeshift headquarters, the one they called Shadow Runner looked on with eyes cold enough to freeze even the most stubborn of flames. Behind her, laid out upon a table of stone, were the maps and plans she and her men had spent the past three weeks drawing out and executing. Three weeks in the Realms, where time passed at the whim of her master. Who knew how many days had actually passed above ground, where the world was currently covered in a thick layer of white. Few of the creatures who fought and died here had ever seen snow. Fewer still would understand why a good blizzard could have humans cowering in their homes, when frozen water could never hope to singe a man’s skin from his bones.

For herself, the soldier mused, she would take hellfire any day. At least it would never, ever be accompanied by Christmas carols. Amused, the girl who would soon answer once more to Danni Rinaldi brushed absently at the bright blue bangs that would never stay tucked obediently behind her ear, smearing a bit of crimson over the dark soot that stained her own face. One of her eyebrows was nearly singed off, and her boots still smelled of burnt rubber, but her lips still curved up in a hard smile as, unwanted, “Feliz Navidad” danced its way into her head, sending her bloody fingers tapping on the hilt of her sword.

“Is this how it works now? While I’m off hacking away in the fields, my partner’s hanging around humming fucking Christmas songs.” Danni raised a brow, snorting out a laugh as her partner appeared out of the thick smoke that covered the battle field, all but coated from head to toe with blood more black than red. A short time ago, the mid-air slaying of a Hell dragon had resulted in a sudden shower of blood rain, and more than one demon crushed by the beast’s lifeless corpse. Danni felt it best not to mention, just at this time, that it had been her sword that had plunged into the exposed underbelly of the cocky, black-scaled dragon.

“Just trying to set the mood. They’re circling up the catapults now for their next move. It’ll all be over after that, and I can go back to feast like a queen.” Before Arzol could reply, the call went up through the ranks, alerting everyone to a new maneuver. Now, when the soldier smiled, there was nothing of Danni Rinaldi to be found in the expression. Eyes the color of a foggy pond sharpened and focused, even as something within them became very cold, and very dead. This battle had gone on long enough. As Captain of the guard, it was Shadow Runner’s job to show the rebels just how much spirit she had, Christmas or otherwise.

There was no hesitation in her stride as she stepped out of the cave, leaving behind the plethora of shield spells that had kept her location safe. Breathing in the thick, throat-clogging smoke of battle, she gestured for her men to move back, making her way forward. This battle took place at the bottom of a deep, deep cavern within the Realms. While the rebels had fortified themselves atop the higher ledges, she and her men had made camp at the decidedly less strategic bottom of the cavern, where no light would ever dare reach. None, that is, but for the Hellfire that was flung down from rebel catapults.

She was humming Rudolph when the smoky sky lit up with the flames of dozens of flaming spheres, stretching leisurely with an absent yawn as the rebel cry went out and the flames descended. She was thinking of Christmas cookies and apple pie when the flames hit the barrier she’d conjured with barely a thought. For a moment, the flaming orbs stayed suspended in the air, hesitating, as if unsure of their job. Then, with a slight tilt of her chin, the orbs seemed to hit an invisible trampoline. Flames that had once hurtled towards the ground now shot upwards into the sky, expanding, multiplying, returning right back to where they’d come from with triple the impact.

The screams and agonized wails were a familiar soundtrack as, to a man, the rebel demons, ghosts, dragons, whatever they may be, caught the attention of the seeking flames. The fire engulfed its creators, sparing none, destroying the troublesome catapults in the process. It was over in minutes. None could have survived long against a heavy dose of Hell’s fire. And in the sudden silence as the last scream faded, Shadow Runner, soldier of her dark lord and master, looked up at the lighted sky and saw, with no little satisfaction, fluffy specks of white drifting calmly downwards, coating the battlefield.

She lifted a hand as Arzol stepped up beside her, caught some of the white powder in her palm. “There’s something to be said for a white Christmas,” she mused quietly, and rubbed the white ashes of the dead between her fingertips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this has been asked/is annoying to hear, but I'm wondering I can still post a prompt from a day I miss?

Had a late night job interview/thing tonight, and I'm tired from walking through Utah's imitation of Alaska/pretending to adult. I have a prompt in the works, but it won't be finished before midnight
:/

A Bond Between Siblings

Prompt: A card for someone not seen in a long time

Character: Marco Lombardi III​

Dear Sister,

A holiday card from your older brother must seem odd, doesn’t it Serena? We spent so much of our youth bickering and fighting over our father and mother’s attention. We didn’t have a close bond like many siblings do, but that is just the way of our household. I don’t believe Father has spoken to his brother in fifteen years over an inheritance dispute. By the way that car’s in the shop this week, the transmission went out and I haven’t the time to fix it.

How are you this holiday, Serena? Mother asks about you almost daily but she never does much past that. She got a new dog, Beppe, a little shih tzu that doesn’t leave her side and yaps your ears off. Once she got the dog she stopped asking so much, but would you have it another way?

I’m just rambling, and of course you wouldn’t know that I’m very bad at writing letters. I would have just bought you a simple card but that just isn’t sentimental enough for me. Ever since you left I feel like we’ve grown closer through our separation, but you aren’t really gone. Not from me, Serena. I’m glad we set aside our differences to be closer siblings.

I’ll make sure to tell Father you’re not coming home for Christmas, though I suspect he’s not in sound enough mind to be aware it is Christmas. Mother has a new boyfriend to keep her attention, he’s actually about your age. Might have been your boyfriend if you’d been here.

Love Always,

Marco Lombardi III

He poured over his handiwork, not entirely pleased with his rambling but it was only for his sister to see and they’d come to an understanding these days. A pair of eyes followed him as he stood up from his desk and wandered to the basement stairs. His visitor was probably impatient with him, but they could preoccupy themselves until he came back.

His heavy booted feet thumped on the stairs, echoing throughout the concrete basement as he descended the stairs. The harsh bite of the chill nipped his bare skin, causing him to shiver and regret not wearing something with sleeves. It was only to get colder.

He was met with stark silence as he arrived in the basement, and without turning on any lights he moved to a door that led to a room where only he would ever see. Marco opened the door and swiftly shut it behind him.

There she was, a beautiful blonde looking calm and composed. His heart raced to see her, Marco had forgotten to visit his Serena in such a long time. He’d been so preoccupied with other visitors, but she was always the one he came back to.

“I’m sorry, dear Serena, I’ve left you here for so long alone. I wrote a letter for you to apologize and learn about Father and Mother.” Marco careened sweetly as he stroked her brittle hair.

He took the letter between his hands and crumpled it up into a tight ball. Using his right hand he pried open her jaws with ease, a reminder her jaws had long since been broken. Taking the small paper ball he pushed it into her mouth, no longer a tongue to resist his invasion. With a small effort it was pushed into her throat, where her spirit could then read it.

Forcing her jaws shut he leaned down to press his lips to her forehead and continued to stroke her hair.

“Even when I’m old and gray, dear Serena, you will still be young and beautiful. I purged you of all your mortal impurities and now you are immortal. Mother is insisting I marry the daughter of one of Father’s old business partners. Mostly as a favor to Father, since he invested so much in his company to help it stay afloat in the early stages.” Marco spoke happily, as if he was talking to a friend over lunch. This was a relaxation period for him, this was the only time in his life he could talk about the mundane facets of his life.

“Of course I’ll still visit you, Serena, I could have ten wives with thirty children and still make time for you. You understand me like nobody else can, you never judge me like I know so many people would.” He reached out his hand to clasp between her stiff fingers.

“I’d always wanted a best friend, and I’m glad you could be mine.”

Here we go again. hmmm this one is somewhat harder then the last one. let's see....

Background: Nistor (Mangafox links (optional): Character sheet, IC )

Writing prompt: A card for someone not seen in a long time

Winter is coming. Guess what it is here. Winter again and I still haven't written to you. Okay okay, I did sent you that birthday card, but that does not really count, does it? So what happened last year... Well as usual I got in a conflict with bandits on the road. I treated some of them for their injuries and got sent on my way again. You know how it goes. First they threaten you, but once they find out who you are they'll let you go. Not that I am someone of importance to the world around us. It's just that my skills are useful just about everywhere.

Looking back on what is written, Nistor scratches out some sentences and continues.

I'm doing fine. Currently in quite a hassle someone I know has gotten infected, and the cure apparently requires some rare ingredients. Nothing to worry about it is not as if it is anything bad. I only need to find the ingredients, perhaps I can buy some. Others I might need to find deep inside a forest...

Nistor sighs. 'no I can't write about that', he thinks as he scratches out some more sentences. In fact he tears the entire note apart to start over again.

Hey, I know it's been a while. But during my travels I have not had much time to write. Here are some of my notes concerning the usage of certain plants. I've also included drawings of easy to find plants and their medical uses. I hope this will assist you with your research. When I'm once again in the vicinity I'll drop by. Although this might take a few years, currently away doing some research. Best regards, Nistor.

Once again reading it over. 'Hmmm I guess this would be fine. No need to use words if I can't receive a response anyway. '

Wrote more than I expected, but enjoy all the same! :)

Characters

Nicholas Colt

Jason Colt

December 23rd

Nicholas was lying in bed again during the early morning, his mobile phone in his hands - He was texting several people, really, at least those who were awake. Nicholas, before I say anything more, is 13 years old, a simple kid that didn't really think much of anything and sort of kept to himself. This morning, 2 days before Christmas, he was talking to his best friend and a girl from his class who he was friends with, but nothing more than that, really. He was telling his best friend about his dad - He'd heard nothing from him over the past week, aside from one phone call on the day that school ended for the Winter Break. He had his little brother, at least, but that was about it, really. Oh, and his mom, of course.

It had been a long six months and an even longer December, and today, he was worried that his dad wasn't going to be home for Christmas. He'd missed his birthday, but he hadn't missed Jason's, thankfully, who was due to turn 10 next year. He was a good kid as well, at least, and didn't give Nicholas any trouble at all. He missed his dad as much as his brother did, so they'd gotten closer over the time that he'd been gone. Every time he went away, they'd heard the 'Just this job, and then I'll retire' - It was the fourth time they'd heard that so far. Well, it was the fourth time for Nick, anyway, seeing as the first time he'd heard it was two days after his brother was born.

He'd never been away for 6 months before, though, and he'd never done it this dangerously close to Christmas - Nick knew that they'd all be miserable if he wasn't home for it, he just knew it straight up and he didn't like the idea of it at all, having to go downstairs and see fewer gifts under the tree than last year, not being able to have a family breakfast, not seeing his mom give a real smile, not even being able to find the strength within himself to put on a brave face. He wouldn't deny, he'd cry like a baby if his dad wasn't home for Christmas.

He heard his door open and looked over his shoulder - his brother had walked in in his PJ's, seemingly fresh out of bed. Nick offered him a simple smile as he wandered over to the side of his bed and climbed in right next to him. Now and again they'd do this, while their mom was still asleep and they had the chance to just lie there and talk for a while. It was good for them to be able to bond seeing as their dad wasn't around anymore. Well, he hadn't been for a while, at least. 6 months... It felt much longer than that.

"Hey, Jace." Nick smiled at him a little. "You okay there?" He asked, putting an arm around him and snuggling with him. The house was always cold in the morning no matter how high dear old mom put the central heating on the night before. Colorado around this time was never fun. Aside from the snow. That was amazing.

"Yep." He nodded, putting his head down on the pillow beside his own. "I just got up early."

"You always get up early." He whispered, smirking a little.

"Not always." He replied.

"Mostly always, then." Nick winked. "Sleep okay?"

"Kinda'." He shrugged, looking a little less happy all of a sudden before looking back up at Nick. ".. Nick..."

"Yeah...?"

Jason hesitated for a moment.

".. Is dad really gonna' come home for Christmas?"

Nick bit his tongue and stared at him for a moment. Empty promise, or the truth? He knew that a lie always hurt a lot more than the truth did, in the long run, anyway. "I... I hope so."

"I knew mom was lying..." He sighed, sinking his head into his chest and just staying there in silence.

"We can still have fun, bro, even if he's not there." He explained. "Plus, he's... Quitting his job after, remember?"

"He said that the last time."

Nicholas sighed, "I know."

It wasn't an easy life. Nicholas wanted to go with his dad, but his dad wouldn't tell either of them why they couldn't move to Italy with him. He would have done it, and that was the problem. He would have thrown away everything if he could have just to be with him, so his dad had taken off after a tearful goodbye from all of them, and that was that. Nick wanted him to know just how much he meant to him, but he didn't know how he was going to do it. Both Nick and Jason had written out their Christmas cards to him, but no words they could write could ever compare to the ones they were about to read.

So yeah, seeing as they'd only just woken up, really, both of them needed to use the bathroom and both of them wanted something to eat, too. Nicholas decided to be the nice brother and let Jason use the bathroom upstairs, while he wandered downstairs and used the one there. As he left the bathroom, he noticed something sat there on the floor by the front door. A Christmas card? Must have been. It was a red envelope. He walked over and grabbed that, looked on the back, and noticed that their address was printed on it - Nicholas' name was at the top, too. Odd. He took that through to the kitchen, put it down on the table, and looked at the note on the table.

'Boys,

Gone to do some more Christmas shopping - Have some cereal and I'll cook you something nice when I get back!

Love, mom

xx'

Nick sighed. Cereal. It was too cold for that, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? He made two bowls of cereal and put those down, then looked at the red envelope again.

Venice, Italy.

That was the sender's location.

Holy...

While Nick was in shock looking at it, Jason plopped himself down at the table and began eating right away. "What's that?" He said with a mouthful of food.

"I think it's from... I think it's from dad...?" He said, still sounding unsure, but Jason's mouth dropped open and the Fruit Loops dropped out and back into the bowl in front of him.

"Open it!" He yelled.

So, Nick did, and he slid out the Christmas card. How did he know it was from his dad? It was a family photo, nothing more, but one from a few years ago, where all of them were wearing Santa hats and warm clothing, stood in 3ft of snow in their back yard. Nick choked up and turned the card to Jason, whom of which grinned excitedly. You can see how the two differ in emotions, can't you? "Are you gonna' read it out, Nick? Please read it out." Jason said.

"Yep." He sniffled, slowly opening it up and looking down as a piece of paper fell out. Folded. In the card itself, it was simple - Dear, boys. Merry Christmas. Lots of love from Dad. The paper, though... He knew that it was a letter of a sort. "You ready?" He cleared his throat. Jason nodded, staring at him with wide eyes.

".. Dear, Nicholas and Jason...

I thought now would be a suitable time to write to you both after how much I've let you down over the past while. I've been miserable, but I'm happy to be finally contacting you in one way or another, and the best Christmas gift I could ask for is knowing that you're reading this. Alongside a few other things - To know you're happy, to know you're in good health, to know you're excited. I haven't been able to call recently, and I really am sorry. I've let you both down a lot, and I hope that we can put all of this behind us one day.

The past six months has felt like six years, I feel like I'll get home and see you both ready to go to college, or finishing high school or something like that. I feel like I've aged by twenty years since I left home, and it's a crushing feeling to know that I left my two favorite people in the world behind. I suppose for now, I have to apologize until I can hold you both close again, until I can come home for dinner with you guys, tuck you into bed, listen to your wild school stories every night, watch you laugh and smile and be the amazing kids you've always been.

Sorry if the card seemed bland. I couldn't fit in everything I wanted to say without writing a letter.

I'm sorry I couldn't bring you all with me. I thought about it long and hard, even two months AFTER I left. I didn't want you to pack your things, I didn't want to sell the house we'd grown up as a family in, I didn't want you to leave everyone behind for me - The most important thing I can tell you, guys, is that you matter. To me... You mean more to me than anyone else, and I wouldn't ever ask you to do something for my benefit, because I'd rather see you guys happy and safe than see myself as the man I usually am. My love for you goes further than this, further than any ocean or plane journey could ever change.

I love you both so much, so I made some arrangements and I've... I've set up a nice little surprise for you guys. Go down to the coffee house in the center of town, tell the man behind the bar that I sent you there, okay? He'll show you what it is.

Merry Christmas, boys.

Lots of love and best wishes,

Dad."

Nicholas put the card down on the table and looked up at Jason - Both of them had tears streaming down their cheeks, ones that they couldn't hold back. He could hear Jason's gentle sobs now and again, but... Surprise. "Come on, Jace..." Nick sniffled, quickly going over to him and hugging him tight. "It's okay... Let's go and see that surprise, yeah? We can walk there together." He sniffled again. "Dry those tears. Dad wouldn't want us to be upset. Come on." He said, still holding him close but using one hand to dry his eyes for him. He hated seeing his brother cry, but eventually, he gave his short but thick and slightly curly, dark hair a ruffle and went upstairs with him to help him get ready. Forget the cereal, right?

Soon enough they were out of the house and almost running to the coffee house. It was freezing cold and all, but Nick made sure that he left a note before they rushed out. He didn't want his mom to panic when she got back or anything. But yes, to the coffee house they went, and when they were a short distance away from it, they could already smell the delicious aroma of hot coffee and pancakes. This place was great at winter - Their dad used to bring them here some weekends during the winter, and every morning on Christmas Eve, they had a family breakfast here. It was amazing.

Inside they went, tightly clutching each other's hand. Nick scanned around for a moment and noticed one thing - People seemed to go a little more quiet. What was going on? Anyway, Nick walked Jason up to the bar and gave the man behind there a small smile.

"What'll it be, boys?" He asked.

"Oh, um... My dad... Our dad. He said there's a surprise here for us...?"

The man smiled, "Ah, of course. How could I forget! You're all in here every year and I still fail to recognize you. Sorry to disappoint." He laughed. "Wait right here." He said. He vanished off into the back room and was gone for a short while, leaving them stood there at each other's side. I think Jason was a little disappointed when he saw the box. It was a tiny thing, one that he could easily cup in his hand if he wanted to. It was like a box that one of those fancy Parker pens came in, you know? It was wrapped with a ribbon, of course, but either way. The man set it down on the counter and smiled.

A label attached read:

'Nick and Jace - Open me!'

Nick nodded at Jason who reached up and pulled the bow off of it. Nick pulled it down to where they could both see what was inside and lifted the lid. Another note printed on card.

'Turn around.'

Nick rolled his eyes to look at Jason who did the exact same thing after reading it, then they both, in sync, turned and faced the door of the coffee house.

And there he was, stood there in the entrance, wrapped up in a coat, scarf, hat... And their mom was off to the side, grinning, crying, the whole lot.

Their dad. He was home for Christmas.

They had no words, and of course, they both immediately ran forward, sprinted, even, in tears themselves, too. He was crying as well, but silently, out of joy. He crouched a little and they collided with him right away, almost taking him off of his feet completely. They were all sobbing now, all while the people in the cafe applauded them, some with tears in their eyes, some with smiles on their faces.

"I resigned, boys. That's the last time I'm ever leaving you." He sobbed, hugging them both tightly, as if someone was about to take them away. "I mean it this time, I promise. I promise I'm never going back. It's over. I'm home for good." He choked out. Still no real talk from the pair of them - Just shaky and sobbing 'I love you's and all that.

But that didn't matter, because they were reunited at last.

Because I'd rather see you guys happy and safe than see myself as the man I usually am. My love for you goes further than this, further than any ocean or plane journey could ever change.

November 29th

Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful

2731c27ef5b541ce24462b08290b802e.jpg
It was cold. Not the chill in the air, wear a hand knitted sweater sort of cold. Not the cup of hot cocoa in front of a roaring fire kind of cold. It was bone deep, toe biting, knee quaking cold. Six inches of snow should not have caused all this. This… it felt deliberate. Like the weather was mocking her. It covered every speck of the car. Not just the windows and the roof, but the sides - plastered to the doors like puffy paint, thick and frozen. Even the wheels disappeared in the frigid murk.

And there, just visible through a crack in the frosty curtain she could see it... sitting on the back seat, a gleaming red tease. The scraper.
What sort of idiot, she thought, Leaves the damn thing in the car.

Moving carefully over the slick driveway, she crossed to the opposite side of the car and tried each of the doors, to no avail. They were stuck tight, cemented by ice and snow. Tugging on the passenger side door handle, Molly swore loudly, "Open, open, open!!"

"You should've bought a scraper." The voice came from across the drive, belonging to Mr. McGill, who was sitting on his front porch as if it were the middle of July in the Bayou. He was easily the oldest person alive in Bucks County, possibly in the world... living, she was sure, out of spite. Molly Swarth was almost half positive he made sport of torturing her with the most obvious, painfully deliberate statements he could muster up. Normally she could drum up something positive to say, something polite, but her patience had been so thoroughly depleted that she thought it best to ignore him entirely.

“Eh! Did you hear me, girl?” Mr. McGill said, even louder, “Hell’s bells, child. I’m the deaf one, here.”

“Yes.” She hissed, “I heard you, Mr. McGill. Thank you. I have a scraper.”

“Then what in the blazes are you doin’, tryin’ t’get the door open like a damn caveman?”

Taking a breath, Molly shook her head, “Because it’s in… the car… Mr. McGill.”

“Well, now… why in the hell would you--”

“Mr. McGill!” Her voice rose and she turned, but as she did she neglected to remember the icy walkway and went down hard, on her backside.

“Yeesh, you alright there, girly?” McGill asked, but he made no move to rise from his rocker, to gallantly come to her aid and a moment or two later he seemed to have entirely forgotten her. Grumbling to herself, Molly pushed herself carefully upright, tugged herself to her feet. The gym was just not going to happen.

Moving away from the car, she made her way back to the front porch, one hand on her back, the other splayed out to the side, for balance. Graciously, she made it without falling and pulled open the screen. Inside, wedged between the screen and the main door was an ivory envelope. Grabbing it, she shoved the door open and slipped inside.

no slide
no slide

I'mma just go ahead and do the 29th late along with the 30th, m'kay? xD

November 29th
Oh, the weather outside is frightful.

The soldiers huddled, somewhere far away. Charity huddled too, but only because of the cold. She stared at the letter in her hands.

Esteemed Mayor,

We write to inform you that a portion of your land was selected for repurposing. A munitions assembly building will be erected there to aid in war efforts. We believe 400,000 gems is enough to compensate for the property value and the inconvenience of the exchange. Please sign enclosed form to complete the transfer of land. We require your response as soon as you receive this correspondence.

Council of Findal

Something like a smile flitted across her features as flame climbed across the words. She placed the burning paper among the kindling in her fire grate, trembling now not from cold but from the daring that surged through her.
November 30th
A card for someone not seen in a long time

Knox,

Remember when I was sick? I couldn’t go out into the cold during the winters, but you wouldn’t have any of that. You were determined that I should make a snowman. So you held me in your coat and with your body by mine I was quite warm. Sharing the same set of sleeves made things difficult, but we did manage to make the ugliest snowman I have ever seen.

With you the impossible seems to happen every day, but now I feel I’ve woken from a pleasant dream.

Junior has been moody. I think he wishes his father was home for the holidays. I do too, but I can hear your voice already: “If I don’t do this, who will?”

Well, that is why I fell in love with you, isn’t it? Only myself to blame. Anyhow, I know the mail isn’t so very reliable when the intended is a soldier doing whatever it is you’re not allowed to tell me. But I imagine you’ll read this at some point. May your Long Night be warm, love.

Stay safe.

Charity

This sounds fun. I’ll have a try :)

December 1st

Carols on the Radio

One wrong jump and she was knee deep in snow. The hands she threw out to stop her fall sank down to her elbow and she ended up with a mouthful of fresh powder. She spat and coughed, but the cold still bit hard on her skin and her nose might as well fallen off.

The sea of white was swallowing her up and for a moment her heart froze, thinking she was stuck in its grasp. Gritting her teeth, she clawed at the snow in front of her and pulled herself up.

One foot free. Then the other.

By the time she'd crawled onto firmer ground, her cheeks were flushed and she was out of breath. But still she got up on wobbly feet and stumbled into a run. The air burned her lungs and every pant was a needle through her throat. The cold sunk its teeth into every patch of skin it could find. It stopped her tears in their tracks.

It wouldn’t even let her cry her pain away. Only sob.

But there was nothing to hear. The sounds. They left her throat, they vibrated in the air, but she couldn't hear them. No wind howling in her ear, no heartbeat in her veins, no footsteps, no breath. Not even silence. The emptiness had swallowed everything whole. She couldn’t hear her own body pulse with life. Her thoughts where the only company she had. A consciousness floating in a white sea that kept eating away at its edges.

But there was something else fighting against the void. Her lighthouse. It was here somewhere, just out of her reach.

There.

Sucking in a breath, she dropped down to her knees and began clawing and digging through the snow. Even as her fingers grew numb, she ploughed on. Then she heard it, a muffled noise. Her hands hesitated for a second, trembling at whatever had just broken through the emptiness. A couple of handfuls of snow later, she hit something solid. It was with a silent scream that she pulled it out, spraying fresh powder on her bare head.

She clutched it close to her chest, nails scraping against metal. The voices and the violins became her heartbeat, their warmth spreading all the way to the tips of her fingers. The little radio played on, a torch in the emptiness surrounding her.

The woman weeped, her cries rising with the Carol of the Bells.

Christmas in Red

Prompt: Carols on the radio

My Character: Cajus Dag Fritz

Borrowed Characters: Petra Thornton and Gerwald Draconious III​

I wrote this one very early this morning so it might read oddly in places, sorry about that!

Few times in Cajus’s life had he ever wanted to jump out of a moving vehicle and sprint into the nearby woods to never be seen again. This was probably the topper on that list.

For a bit of context, Cajus was a member of the Mystic Fountain High School choir and today they were performing at a charity Christmas event as they did every year. Well, this was the first year after his best friend Simon graduated and wouldn’t be able to ride with him and his family to the venue. It was extremely embarrassing for the young satyr, none of the other kids offered to let him ride with them and his family was in another country.

Of course Mr. Draconious, the instructor, offered to let him ride with him. He had a mark of uncool placed upon his head the moment Mr. Draconious told him this. His hooves twisted into the pavement as he watched all the other kids go with their rides from the school, waiting with the teacher as he would leave once everyone else was on their way.

“M-Mr. Draconious, can I go with you too?” Cajus looked behind him to see that woah, it was Petra!

Petra’s eyes were puffy from what appeared to be emotional distraught, and Cajus was perplexed how the popular vampire cheerleader could have no one else to go with.

“Of course Petra, is your father staying home today?” Mr. Draconious spoke with a gentle tone as he pet the red headed girl on the back leading them to his car.

“Him and Mom were supposed to come, but they had a- something came up they had to deal with.” It was evident she was very disappointed to learn her parents weren’t coming, probably waiting till the last minute to ask the teacher to save the embarrassment.

Now, however, Cajus was the embarrassed one. Known by many who befriended Cajus was that he had an earth shattering crush on the cheerleader that he would never find the courage to do anything about. Just like all of his previous crushes.

Flash forward to the present and Cajus is sitting closely tucked against the door with his ears tucked down while side-eyeing Petra. Occasionally a blush would rise up on his cheeks, this was the closest he’d ever been to her and it was making him anxious. It didn’t help that he also felt woozy in cars.

Petra fidgeted with her hands in her lap, probably trying not to bring up the fact that Cajus looked like she was going to give him a deadly disease if she so much as looked at him. Mr. Draconious could also feel this tension, and his resolution was to turn up the radio.

Christmas songs were the only thing playing on this station, except they were very contemporary songs over the standard jingles that played in shopping centers the world over. Being a lover of singing Cajus would hum the tunes under his breath while Petra preferred a more outward approach.

Suddenly, Cajus heard the familiar tune of a suggestive Christmas duet come on the radio. Instantly the heat was back in his face as he cautioned a look over to Petra. It would be disrespectful to leave one half of the duet hanging, and when her eyes connected with his his knees buckled so hard they knocked together with an audible bang.

Cajus started singing softly, loud enough to be heard to the focused but muted so to not be heard over the radio. Suddenly there was an elbow in his side and he let out a yelp. Petra gave him that expectant look and when he looked into the rear-view mirror the teacher had his eyebrow raised in expectancy.

With these kinds of expectations he had to deliver, and picked up the slack in the second half of the song with fervor and bravado that he dug out from deep within himself. If he’d been looking at Petra, he would have seen her eyes widen with shock. Mr. Draconious just smiled, having got what he’d wanted from the satyr.

Once the song ended, the radio hushed and suddenly Cajus’s nerves caught up with him and his teeth started to jitter and he didn’t know what to do with his stupid hands.

“The guys always told me you could sing well enough to have the main parts, but I had never once heard it. Why do you hide such a beautiful voice Cajus?” Petra leaned towards him with suspicious eyes and mischievous smile.

“I, well, just, you see….,” his eyes darted from side to side as he looked for an escape, maybe they were close to the venue and he could jump out and tuck and roll. He could make it, he’d gotten worse injuries playing soccer.

Then, all at once, the world stopped. He wasn’t even sure if Petra was aware of herself but she planted a small kiss on his cheek that in real time was a second but to him it lasted forever.

“Thanks for singing with me Cajus, it really helped to lift my spirits. In a way, I’m glad I got to ride with Mr. Draconious.” Her smile was warm and cheery, and to a normal boy this would be a sign for him to take her hand or something. Instead, her smile quickly turned into a face of shock and horror.

At the speed of light, blood ejected from the satyr’s nose as his head lolled over from fainting.

Title: A Reason For The Season

Style: Sonnet/doggerel

This night, upon the midnight witching hour

The radio will herald Christmas prep

The tune that flies upon transistor power

Will prompt a basement trip, wherein is kept

Our appropo seasonal avatars

Each box to be given to The Adepts

Those groomed to be our stalwart Yuletide guards

To give us hope, or die in the attempt

For in exchange, we've met their every want

While serving them these past eleven months

"Beware", the Elders say, "of Santa Claus,

"that crimson red icon of decadence!"

They show how he defies the Sacred Laws

And each year, dead Adepts grant evidence

Each frozen corpse and empty rictus grin

A tale of how The Claus does not relent

'Tis why, when ev'ry radio begins

Its tune of "Silent Night", we know what's meant:

Go downstairs, gather every plastic Christ,

And give The Adapts all their final rites.

Outside our walls, The Adepts stand and pray

Inside, we huddle close and pray as well

A month from now, we'll take the bar away

Unlock the gate, and witness Yuletide hell

Dissenters call The Adepts "sacrifice"

The Elders say this mocks the souls who fell

The ones who fought and paid the greatest price

To keep us safe from Claus' siren spell

Safe one more year, are we who got to stay

When "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" played

Users who are viewing this thread

Back