Terrestrial and Celestial Shards; Underworld "Terrestri

Fuck that' date=' that's what my myriad of species are for. Creation's gonna see some craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy shit comin' from underground. Hoo boy.[/quote']You mean worse than what Kye blew up? I hate you...

<Drools with anticipation>  Oh, really?  Care to share? :twisted:

Well behemoths are part of the first wave, like tanks in a blitz. The hruggha are going to make that place a living hell with the demense corruption. Clutches of Cephapods, myriads of others. Then of course the Night Kings, you've met five of them already. They're essentially my Drow, but oh so worse.

You may also get to meet their Gods :D And their stewards.

Beware the Reaper, said the spider to Creation.

A long time ago, a PDF was floating around containing some guy's take on an abyssal "analog" to terrestrials. He called them Avengers, I think. It was long, full charm trees, etc. I'll see if I can dig it up.

... that's something from the old EC-site... he (Yoshi) even had a GUI-theme for them as I recall. And yeah. They sucked giant elephant balls...

I don't think it was Yoshi who created the Avengers.  Can't recall who actually spawned that pile of shit was though off the top of my head.

~FC.

I don't think it was Yoshi who created the Avengers.  Can't recall who actually spawned that pile of shit was though off the top of my head.
Never said he did. I said he had a GUI-theme for it on EC.

I remember a copy of that thingy somehow wormed its way onto my hardrive. I tried to read it once, butgave up after about a page and a half. After that, I deleted it, to save myself the otherwise utterly utterly wasted 1/2 a meg it was holding on my hard drive.

Well, it's still an interesting concept. I don't think I'd ever allow anyone to play one, but for antagonists, could be fun.

Another game system that I enjoy playing is Hero system, most notably Champions.  One thing that it stresses is the differences in the special effect for a power.  Two different characters can have the same number of dice in a energy blast, but one will blast the target with more damage because it is a effect that targets a weakness.

This can be applied to the DB charms and spells to make them flavored with the effects of the Underworld.  The spell 'Death of Obsidian Butterflies' can become 'Death of the Thousand Bone Shards', same effect on paper, but the visuals are much different.  Take the charms and give them a darker feel.  You can even add such effects as Essence or health level loss show a vampiric effect.

This may have allready been brought up and if so I apolagize... but this reminds me of "the avengers" fan product... I think the biggest and most complete fan product their is.

(if you WANT to make a complet fan product make a Caste books for siderals and lunars if you ask me)

(if you WANT to make a complet fan product make a Caste books for siderals and lunars if you ask me)
I want to see an Abyssal Caste Book first, but that's just not in the cards, mate...

Exalted: the Infernals Goddammit.

Though, I think the biggest and the most complete fan product was Sol Invictus.

sssssz said:
Exalted: the Infernals Goddammit..
I'm actually not really that interested in the yet another Exalt type. The ones available are plenty. More info on Malfeas and the nature of demons however, that'd be swell. Spiffy, even.

Avengers I already own, and indeed it is shit. Unfinished shit at that.

On the other hand, there's Sol Invictus. Oh yes. For first ed, it fixed the issue of Solars first, cheese later by bringing the so-called "Most powerful Exalts" up to scratch with the other celestials. It's necessary for first edition games. I hope the same won't happen with second ed; I want to see abyssals being published next so the bulk of the power creep will start from a lower threshold when they write the other celestials later.

Enough of that.

I have considered Abyssal-theme DBs for some time, and I have a blessedly simple suggestion:

With Solars and Abyssals, you are changing a celestial theme, of solar fire and redemption and glory, to a dark and deeply necrotic one, of death and oblivion and taint.

With Normal DBs to Abyssal DBs, you have much, much less mechanical work to do. The most dramatic themehood of DB charms is their elemental effects, and all you have to do is change the description, not the mechanics. They rarely if ever have specific effects agsint creatures of darkness, so adapting their charms shouldn'd actually be necessary.

Just call them different names, and declare that their animas look different but work the same.

Fire aspects = Pyre aspects

Air aspects = Ice aspects

Earth aspects = Stone/Iron/Lead aspects

Water aspects = Brack/Blackwater aspects

Wood aspects = Fungal/Mold/Decay aspects

They still inflict anima flux. Their animas are mechanically unchanges, but have different appearances.

They do not respire in creation, as with abyssals. They grow fangs when they spend a mote to deliberately show their aspect markings, which is one mote more expensive in creation. They can orient themselves with their pole in the underworld, which in creation tugs toward the nearest link to the underworld.

Their charms are identical in function but different in appearance and theme. They might have a new string of survival charms related to stealing essence, and there would be a martial art for them to do so as well, like hungry ghost form but weaker.

They might use soulsteel instead of Jade, but more likely they still use jade; because they are more basic, DBs don't need great thematic changes. If they use soulsteel it allows them to regain essence with a melee charm by stealing a percentage of the motes drained from another.

They cannot learn sorcery, in the same way that DBs cannot learn necromancy. Instead they learn necromancy, for which there is no stigma; it is thus more common among them.

Their great curse remains much the same, but the effects are more likely to inflict death. If they would become judgemental, they will likely kill those judged wanting. If they become withdrawn, they will plan and prepare destructive plans to bring about death and decay.

The power still passes in the blood, and breeding is still an issue. This makes the DBs alienated further than the abyssals from other underworld denizens, as they are effectively servants of their antithisis. Half-caste dragonbloods, the children of the dead and of dragonblood parents, are quite common. Having more living paramours than before, abyssals are more likely to birth abyssal half caste through dragonblood lovers.

These were originally created through a void necromancy spell in a co-operative effort between five sorcerors and one DB of exceptional breeding for each aspect. Perhaps V'Neef herself, being the most well-bred DB around and having such a leaning towards water, becomes the queen of the new water lineage?

It is possible that the Deathlords forbade them from mixing their blood and thinning it among mortals, but might allow half-deads to arise. All such half-dead DBs are castrated or otherwise infertilised at a young age, to preserve the blood and forbid dilution, but are nonetheless allowed to exist for their unique talents.

Finally they have a different name, but Avengers is gimpy and shite. A somewhat humourous idea would be to call them blood dragons instead.

Sounds like a good idea.

Samiel said:
They might use soulsteel instead of Jade, but more likely they still use jade
Ghosts attune to jade, so that makes perfect sense.

The only other comment I have is that while Abyssal charms are like solar charms, only more brutal, DB charms tend to be fairly brutal already, meaning Samiel's approach works even better.

It'd be the same problem for Lunars. There's the whole "consume my enemy and wear their skin" thing already. And the blood. Three Charms that use bones. And the maiming one, and the fear-inducing one, and the one that eats souls.

... Technically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back