• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Other Teach me how to art

BrokenRemedy

A Disproportionately Dysfunctional Disappointment
So, I cannot art. At all. I’ve got little patience when it comes to learning how to draw but I really want to be able to draw out my characters and concepts. I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to maybe teach me how to draw? I’m pretty broke, so I’d probably only be able to pay you with praise, love, and adoration, so I understand if no one wants to waste their time on me. But I thought it would be worth a shot to ask, so here I am.. asking. Thanks in advance.

• Practice, practice and more practice
  • Don’t press too hard on the pencil when drawing. Instead use light strokes so if you make a mistake it is easier to erase.
  • Get a good eraser, like a kneaded eraser...which I have yet to buy myself
  • Practice drawing shapes, even if it is a thousand times so until you get it down. For circles, use a quarter.
  • I look at pictures of things I like and try to copy them. My advice is study their anatomy and how they move.
I do not think I am the best person to ask as I am a novice myself but if you keep at it, you will find your own style. Good luck.

Online tutorials have helped me immensely. Look on youtube, search for art tutorials, try drawing figures using some of the basic anatomy tips a lot of artists will reach you on youtube. Of course, learning correct anatomy is important, but if you're impatient and want to see improvement instantly to give you a motivation boost, this could help you. If you try to do more realistic human figures from life it could discourage you and make you not want to do art at all.

It's important to look back on art you be done in the past if you want to tangibly see improvement, to know that you're getting somewhere. Keep those embarrassing sketches, look back on them after a few months, you'll be amazed by how far you will have come.

Observe your environment. Observe people and animals. What I mean is if you're waiting for a bus, or on a walk, or sitting in a cafe, look around you. Really look. Don't just see the object, look at all the little details, imagine how you'd go about drawing it. For instance, simply by looking at people, I've noticed certain things I use to make drawing people easier; Your legs are roughly the same length as your head and torso out together, therefore the hips should be about halfway down a figure, things like that. Even if you don't draw that object the first chance you get, I still find it helps me build up drawings, by seeing past what your mind might think something is, to what it actually looks like.

Practice. I've been drawing for years, and it's only recently that I've began to look at my art and feel proud of it. You aren't going to learn how to draw overnight. If you're going to get over your impatience, you need to understand that. If you aren't patent, you're getting nowhere. I'm not saying draw every day, but draw at least once a week. Don't make a set time or day, either, if that doesn't work for you, but whenever you're feeling super motivated, if it's possible you need to draw right then. Trust me, motivation like that doesn't always stick around for long. If you're struggling with motivation, try different mediums. Try just drawing in pen, try only using paint, try sculpting clay, try drawing in a different style. Find what makes you enjoy art.

Don't become complacent. Don't think that when you reach a certain level, that's it, that's your learning over. No. As artists, we are learning new things constantly. I'm still learning, artists I look up to are still learning, famous artists like Van Gogh never stopped learning. It just never happens. You can set yourself a goal of the level you want to achieve in the next year, but don't make that your final goal. Strive for greatness.

Jeez, that was really long, but I hope this helps, even though I'm probably not the best person to talk about this. I hope you find the drive you need to create awesome art, and don't give up, even if it seems impossible. It isn't, trust me. Hard, yes, but not impossible.

Online tutorials have helped me immensely. Look on youtube, search for art tutorials, try drawing figures using some of the basic anatomy tips a lot of artists will reach you on youtube. Of course, learning correct anatomy is important, but if you're impatient and want to see improvement instantly to give you a motivation boost, this could help you. If you try to do more realistic human figures from life it could discourage you and make you not want to do art at all.

It's important to look back on art you be done in the past if you want to tangibly see improvement, to know that you're getting somewhere. Keep those embarrassing sketches, look back on them after a few months, you'll be amazed by how far you will have come.

Observe your environment. Observe people and animals. What I mean is if you're waiting for a bus, or on a walk, or sitting in a cafe, look around you. Really look. Don't just see the object, look at all the little details, imagine how you'd go about drawing it. For instance, simply by looking at people, I've noticed certain things I use to make drawing people easier; Your legs are roughly the same length as your head and torso out together, therefore the hips should be about halfway down a figure, things like that. Even if you don't draw that object the first chance you get, I still find it helps me build up drawings, by seeing past what your mind might think something is, to what it actually looks like.

Practice. I've been drawing for years, and it's only recently that I've began to look at my art and feel proud of it. You aren't going to learn how to draw overnight. If you're going to get over your impatience, you need to understand that. If you aren't patent, you're getting nowhere. I'm not saying draw every day, but draw at least once a week. Don't make a set time or day, either, if that doesn't work for you, but whenever you're feeling super motivated, if it's possible you need to draw right then. Trust me, motivation like that doesn't always stick around for long. If you're struggling with motivation, try different mediums. Try just drawing in pen, try only using paint, try sculpting clay, try drawing in a different style. Find what makes you enjoy art.

Don't become complacent. Don't think that when you reach a certain level, that's it, that's your learning over. No. As artists, we are learning new things constantly. I'm still learning, artists I look up to are still learning, famous artists like Van Gogh never stopped learning. It just never happens. You can set yourself a goal of the level you want to achieve in the next year, but don't make that your final goal. Strive for greatness.

Jeez, that was really long, but I hope this helps, even though I'm probably not the best person to talk about this. I hope you find the drive you need to create awesome art, and don't give up, even if it seems impossible. It isn't, trust me. Hard, yes, but not impossible.
Thank you for the motivating words <3 I guess my biggest issue is that I'm a perfectionist. I've always been talented at other things like music, but when it comes to drawing I just can't wrap my head.. or, fingers, around it. I can see what I want to draw perfectly in my mind, but actually putting it on paper is the challenge. I guess that's why I go to writing, it's like the in between of actually creating physical art and having the image in your mind. I'll definitely keep what you've said in mind. I appreciate the willingness to help!

Thank you for the motivating words <3 I guess my biggest issue is that I'm a perfectionist. I've always been talented at other things like music, but when it comes to drawing I just can't wrap my head.. or, fingers, around it. I can see what I want to draw perfectly in my mind, but actually putting it on paper is the challenge. I guess that's why I go to writing, it's like the in between of actually creating physical art and having the image in your mind. I'll definitely keep what you've said in mind. I appreciate the willingness to help!

No problem! I can understand what you mean about getting your idea down on paper. I had that problem when I first started, and it's frustrating, like wanting to say something but not having the vocabulary, or there's a language barrier. To get over your perfectionism, I would suggest this: buy a new, cheap sketchbook, and deliberately ruin the first page. After that, the book is ruined already, so it doesn't matter if your art isn't perfect. It might not work for you, but try it if you think it could work.

You could also do what I do, and go in with the mentality of "nothing I draw is going to be perfect, there's always things I could improve on, so there's no point worrying." And I just try to get as close to perfect as possible. It's not going to be the best, or even necessarily my best, but at least I've put in the effort, and that's what counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back