• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Tartarean Chronicle] The New Rebellion in the City of Faith

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
E7451F40-3199-49A3-8FDF-EB34476FC403.png

Dagnia City

Before even recorded history, and after the tree had fallen, the high council of Dagnia had begun to build their empire from their bare hands. Some say they were dragon hunters, telling tales of how they each stole a dragons den stripping them of their wealth and forming an entire nation. It was said the dragons were cursed, or rather the gold was cursed. Not much is known, but what is fact was that their greed and ambition was great, likely twisted and manipulated by whatever horrors ailed in the treasure. So great was their greed that they’d defy death and continue to manage the city well hundreds of years past their death. It was those men who made up the High Council.

The city had reached a all but made the city prosper like never before, roads were remade, homes and infrastructure rebuilt, schools, culture and the arts flourished. However, it was all at great cost to the tax payers, the working class who were the true owners of the city.

Through faith, moral codes of conduct and deep belief in their goddess allowed for a relatively balanced relationship between the bureaucrat and the work force.

Magical Contracts were made to keep the population honorable, while those that couldn’t afford to pay were given a labor contract stating the terms to appease the agreement through whatever means could be seen fit.

However harsh, some called it fair, while others thought of it criminal.

AB75B705-A476-4437-897B-E301D9FA2B6F.png

The Church which had recently seen a change of leadership to those of the Followers of the Divine Flame, had begun to reform many of the details of the previous creed. Now, a more oppositional view was introduced. One, where a crusade was necessary, a fight for the city of Dagnia itself.
The reason itself was that the High Council was attracting people towards a more materialistic world. Arguing that placing faith on the council rather than their goddess would bring forth her wrath and smite the entire city back to its beginnings.
Although, there were some who didn’t care much about the current state of the world. Rather, cared for the people’s well being. Either way, the city was becoming polarized between tradition and fruition.
9DA30A2A-078E-4D79-856E-C54C74F344FB.png

In the recent years, the Broken Shield Rebellion had begun to attract followers. Promising an end to all debts, it was a rather attractive cause for those that had nothing to lose. Lost, hungry and desperate, many would join. To much of their delight, the other houses, monarchy and nobility and even religious factions would take advantage by joining the cause as well.

17CF6AE0-7C27-4804-B840-2DA2AFB4D688.png

In an attempt to overthrow the current religious power they’d begin their assault by taking over the Shrine of the Jewel of Whispers. A most valuable relic bestowed upon the founder of the Divine Flame. A jewel that could make one speak to anyone in the afterlife. As they boarded up the cathedral, mages and wizards created barriers, while the army interrogated anyone within the holy place. The priests were murdered and placed upon display at the entrance.

“Give us back our lives!”

“My father has paid with three hundred years of his life! Let him rest!”

“LET THEM REST!”

“We stand to oppose the debts!”

“We don’t need a crusade! We want our debts paid!”

“We refuse to fight those who help us!”

The church couldn’t do a thing about the debts, but their desire to make battle and completely take over the city was never before heard.

343121D9-6275-48A3-9047-EAFE108B59F6.jpeg

Joanne, or rather Sister Joanne as many referred to her as, had walked through the county yard gates towards the desecrated shrine. Her hands were entwined at her chest, as the holy maiden prayed under her breath as she approached. She wasn’t showing much expression, other than a deep concentration in what she was reciting. Once at the front, she raised her hands in supplication, “Citizens of Dagnia! I beg you to leave this holy place, to listen to reason instead of the rage that festers within you to commit such atrocities. Let us not shed anymore blood. I understand your pain and hardships.”

Those is the rabble would draw swords and raise staffs, unwilling to listen, “Of course they’d sent her..” one muttered while another, “..sister Joanne helped my mother get better. I won’t kill her.”

Then one among them, would walk up to Joanne, taking her by the hand and binding her hands. “As second in command, you’re a prisoner of the Broken Shield Rebellion. Sorry sister, but we’re going to get our debts paid.”

Five others would take Joanne by the arms, however the holy maiden wouldn’t struggle, but now her head and follow where they were taking her. “What do you wish to achieve? The high council will send their soldiers here, or worse, the Divine Flame will respond to this desecration and rightfully so-“

“Silence!” One of them said before a fist made contact with her cheek. The maiden recoiled, and groaned. One of the other men looked at her assailant, “You do that again and I’ll have your hands. This woman has done nothing but help people. If she’s here then I trust what she has to say.”

719293D7-E177-40AC-A5B0-541E48DA18F8.png

When they sat her down, their leader appeared before Joanne at the table, “Well well well, if it isn’t Sister Joanne! Ha! I must say I am quite surprised they sent you instead of that bishop coward at the head of Divine Flame! Tell me, are you here because they told you to come?”

Joanne looked up at the rebellion leader, her hands were tied however, “I pray that the goddess bless our conversation..” she began, “..I have not vowed to serve any one church. I serve them all but more importantly the people. I have come here of my own accord to warn you of the army that is being assigned to answer your protest.” Loud murmuring and doubt could be heard among the rebels ranks, doubting, considering abandoning the cause.

The rebel leader smiled as she pulled out her dagger and stabbed it stuck to the table. “I was counting on it, sister. That’s why we’re here.”

The rebels laughed and chuckled.

Then Joanne replied, “I understand, but what if there is another way? What if I can intervene and gain pardon for you all in exchange for service to join a crusade. Not against the High Council. But against the pact. It’s the pact that allows the high council to maintain the debts not the church. Please, I implore you all listen to me.. if you’re desire is to fight then fight for your true freedom and not for a clean slate for further debt.”

The rebels gave off mixed signals, there were those who took to Jeannes idea but others were skeptical.

“You’re telling me, that if we fight the entire pact we’ll gain our freedom? Do you realize the magnitude of a campaign you’re suggesting?”

Jeanne nodded and then bowed her head, “I do. And I can also tell you with certainty that should you agree, we will succeed. I’ll fight alongside you until the end.”

The rebel leader frowned but then looked at the others and smiled, “Well? I say we live to die another day, we’ve waited this long to die what’s another few weeks? Ha! And besides, we have a lucky nun by our side now.”

Giving a hand motion, the rebels began their dissipation, they’d all run and scatter but it was too late. The church had sent their elite guard to the shrine, and a great battle would soon break out at the Shrine of the Whisperer.

“By inquisitor order of the Arch Bishop of the Divine Flame, all who have set foot here shall perish, may the goddess judge us all fairly here tonight.”

With that the armored men charged at the Broken Shield Rebellion, ensuing a long, bloody and arduous battle among kin..

All the holy maiden could do was look on, weep, and pray in silence.

Baroness Remiel Winters
1677875986522.png

Remiel "Remy" Winters walked into the shrine, heading straight for Joanne with the purpose of getting the holy maiden outside the church before she was killed. She was surrounded by her six guards, men and women of various sizes- here to protect but if needed could most certainly fight. Though if anyone looked too closely at her entourage, they would find that something was....off about them.

She would be seen as a devout worshipper, considering her hefty donations to the church combined with her relatively frequent visits to the temple to pray. Along with her noble status, she was hopeful she could get the nun out without too much trouble. Sister Joanne was a nun of esteem, so they could probably spin this in a positive light to whoever won the battle.

"Come outside. Quickly." Remy's voice would drop in a whisper as she did her best to try and usher Joanne outside. "I am sorry you were used as a pawn, but as long as you live you can still do good later on."

The bodies she could come back for later- whether it be by cleanup crew or by the cover of darkness. She could bring them back to her mansion, assess who would be useful to bring back, and make them hers. Hopefully there weren't any children involved, as she would try to reverse their untimely demises- if the God of Death even would.

Renee Nyx
Skyhunter_black_hair_long_hair_witch_witch_hat_evil_smile_red_e_6f2e1a23-0c6c-450a-b5e5-cf01a9...png

The witch was laying in her bed within the tavern she was resided in for the night. She was on her way to join up with a Magisterium to increase her abilities in magic. Her witchcraft to be specific. She was about to drift to sleep when she could hear commotion occuring outside the tavern. " Noisy residents. It's too late for them to be rambunctious without something happening. " The witch opened her silver eyes and looked at the window. Her eyes moved to the nightstand beside her where her hat and knapsack laid.

She sighed and sat up slowly before moving to the side of her bed, she placed on her boots and stood up, making sure she was comfortable. Moving to grab her hat and knapsack, she was off. " I might as well see what is happening. Maybe something amusing is about to occur. Sounds like fighting. " Renee's lips moved into a sinister smile. She loved showing off her magical abilities. Better yet, she liked being in danger. It was a adrenaline rush, and with her small stature, she didn't look like much and she liked using that to her advantage. She likes seeing the fear and regret in people's eyes as she took the life from them or severally injuring them.

The witch took the coat that hung next to the door and swung it over her shoulders and pushed her arms through the sleeves before making her way out. It was going to be a very fun night. Her eyes twinkled for a moment as she made her way downstairs, she saw in the tavern citizens were already looking concerned and making sure to stay inside, out of the ensuing fighting going on outside. Renee even noticed some patrons beginning to move furniture and chairs in front of the door. " Allow me out, if you could. " The witch stated with a smile. After a small exchange, the patrons allowed her to leave as Renee found herself outside with folk running pass her in both directions. Those that looked like they were up to no good ran one direction and those that weren't went the other.

The witch followed after the folk that looked like they were up to no good. She suppressed a giggle as she followed and found herself meeting a crowd. Moving around she found herself climbing up steps up to a statue where she stood next to some sort of gargoyle looking thing. But the witch overlooked the crowd to see the chaos that was about to ensue.

Aurélin Gustave Bochier
Mentions: RavenSong RavenSong slifer37 slifer37

11241a3d80988a9c2e25766a68e6a3b9.jpgDisparate people struggled against each other unable or unwilling to understand the other, and a holy maid prayed desperately for salvation. All the while an Executor stalked the halls of the Shrine of the Whisperer. Golden hair flowed behind Aurélin he was garbed in priest-like vestments and wore a kindly smile. Having been one of the many members of The Church within the Shrine he had heard the Rebels lay claim to the Shrine. Aurélin had been alone when the killing first started, engaged in worship before he left to complete another Contract. "If they had only waited a few minutes I would have been on my way. Quite unfortunate." He spoke aloud freely despite knowing there was no one alive to hear him. While the worst of the massacre had taken some time to reach him, reach him it did. The blood which stained the Spear of Selection and his clothes attested to that. The corpses that now laid in his quarters could also corroborate.

The lone Executor made a leisure pace approaching the growing sounds of fighting and screams. The Broken Shield Rebellion was engaged with The Churches inquisitorial forces near the front of the Shrine. While Aurélin was in the back. There was a secondary exit towards the back of the Shrine, he would allay the Rebels desire to use it. Normally he would not bother with their struggle. But the Rebels had desecrated a holy site, killed clergy and audaciously tried to take a most Holy Relic for themselves. Such acts could be called Heresy. Aurélin sighed, it was simply just so foolish of them. With a look on his face similar to a parent begrudgingly discipling a child he finally made his was to where the siege was beginning to push back. Most of the Rebels were focused on the encroaching wave of enemies and not what lay behind them. It was no matter he merely waited, any who tried to flee he would cut down there was no reason for Aurélin to throw himself into the thick of it unnecessarily. "I understand their plight I truly do, but there should be a limit to these things. How must our Holy Mother see us right now?" He once again spoke aloud airing his grievances like one would talk about particularly poor weather.

As he shook his head he spotted a surviving Sister, she was surrounded by six armed men and an unfamiliar women was speaking with her. Could she be a Rebel? Using the Spear of Selection like a walking stick he approached them raising a hand to them appearing rather bizarre; acting so friendly while covered in blood. "Well met Sister, I was under the impression all members of The Church had been killed. Dagna is truly merciful to have proven me wrong." Still wearing an affable smile he swept his gaze across the others around her, a sinister feeling present within his eyes. "Hm... are they Rebels?" Aurélin put a hand around his chin as he considered the scene before him. Then he turned to Joanna seemingly deciding to leave his decision up to her. "Should I kill them Sister?"

Last edited:
1689449220242.png
Baroness Katriel Pendragon

It was an abysmal night rife with rebellion, tears, and stressful cross stitching as she rocked idly in her chair. Her heightened senses were more a curses these days than they were a blessing; the sheer noise one neighborhood could produce was astounding, let alone an entire city. What was odd was that she had grown accustomed to the noises. The sounds of her snobby neighbors enjoying their ivory tower luxuries, but more importantly, the children playing in the mud underneath that ivory.

It was a mirror into her own childhood, dreaming of such heights from the depths of rock bottom. It was the reason she hated the view up here. The Baroness sighed and decided that some fresh air was needed; The night was young and she had only so many hours before the brooding sun rose. This was where she did her brainstorming, vying for a future where her kind and those creatures of the night who did not ask for their fates could achieve peace.

"Baroness? Are you sure it is wise to go out tonight? The Broken Shield surely has enacted their plan-"

Superbia spoke up, drawing Katriel out of her stupor. She always believed there was nothing in this world that could be done better alone, and her maid of nearly four years has taught her that the best. A lithe, tall, and well groomed Ratkin Katriel had saved from slavery. She initially believed the slave was going to immediately run with it's freedom, and she wouldn't have blamed her.

Superbia, however, chose to stay.

"Routine is paramount Superbia, I won't let a rebellion get in the way of my brainstorming sessions. I warned them that patience was crucial, and surely they have already thrown their lives away. Dagnia is a beast of burden far outspurned by it's masters, and throwing bodies at it will do nothing but nourish the already fattened." She said, gripping at her dress tightly in frustration. "I fear this will only cause further strife and give reason for The Church to persecute us all. I want you to tend to any of the injured we come across; I trust there were survivors...they are a stubborn lot after all"

The pair making their way down the shadowed streets, where the tension and potential danger grew thick.

cb411bb6eb4bf93d4ebc6b1bdc76f812.jpg

677AFEB4-FB18-4CEA-B1EA-277F380376DC.png

Dagnia City...

075F0BD8-C279-4452-BDC5-6E7AC7F09D8A.png

The Cathedral of the Whisperer..

After midnight..

“REASSEMBLE THE LINE!”

A commanding shout could be heard through the cathedral as the knights of the Divine Flame charged towards the rebel forces.

The rebels had regrouped further back, to make up for lost time and the surprise attack as they had all scattered. Some fought the knights there and then, knowing full well the regrouping would require precious time, if only seconds. A sacrifice most noble, even for rebels.

Soon after the assembled coalition of the Broken Shield clashed with the Holy Soldiers of the Divine Flame, cries of agony would soon follow. As the casualties began to grow, Rebels threw home made bombs while the cleric healers would mend the wounded unlucky knights as they bled through their armor.

Those able to continue, would press on, rebel wizards fired spheres of magic while the knight archers would strike those at the front. The Divine Flame cavalry would then make its appearance with fierce roars and neighs of their armored steeds, horseshoes clanking onto the cathedral courtyards cobbled square. The cavalry charged through, trampling the rebel front line as the riders slashed or speared those below before their horses were shortly thereafter impaled and slaughtered, soon falling to rebel steel and pike.

The knights would then muster their courage, forming a double shielded wall, then.. the captain yelled to the troops.

“The goddess bestows her grace upon the faithful this night. Debtors are no better than demons in her most hallowed eyes.” Then suddenly with a mighty roar, “SO THEN WHY DO YOU SHOW THEM MERCY???!!!”

The knights, inspired by some sort of magic would hold up their shields and step forward in sync chanting with every step like a thundering storm, “Goddess, hear us! Goddess, guide us! Goddess, command us!”

The knights would raise their shields, effectively making two rows of shields, creating a shielded wall. While spears shortly behind them would impale any who dared fight melee. The archers would ensure the rebels were under constant pressure.

Bombs, fire, swords, spears, and the occasional magic would be hurled at the Divine Flames inspired front line. The rebels, although numerous were quite unorganized.
Every step forward given to the knights was that much closer to the rebellions defeat.

The captain would be heard in the far back, pointing his scepter ahead to where he was commanding his men to march. “HERETICS! HERETICS!!”

The knights, ever stepping forward in sync, “HERETICS HERETICS HERETICS!”

96A1EA73-51EF-42C1-9D36-1AE18C783B76.png

EMIYAman EMIYAman
Some among the rebel ranks would begin to cower and fall back further into the cathedral, their steps echoing through the great hall. Paintings of crusaders and patron saints were masterfully pictured throughout the massive building. Thousands of equally well hand crafted rows of wooden benches could be seen for a great stretch. The marble floors would echo the clad movement and voices would echo ever so.
At the center of the cathedral was a small chapel, and a small door where the relic was said to rest within a small wooden box. It only had room for one. It was rumored that incense would magically ignite within, and that whispers could be heard as one gazed into the smoke.

It was in this place that the rebel deserters would find themselves at the inquisitor, Aurelius’s mercy.

The seemingly better educated, armed and armored among them would address the Executor.

1C9C6C54-4F21-4F78-88D0-4F90EC397BCC.png

“HA! I thought we had killed all of the pansy priest inbreds. Now I’m only going to ask you once, GET. OUT. OF. MY. WAY!! I’m taking that pretty relic behind you and selling it for wasting my precious time with this rabble. As first son of the noble house Azea I command you step aside!”

One among them, practically a chain mail rattle would cower, “What hope did we ever have against the Flames infantry! We were such fools to follow Sarah through with this.”

“Ha! Sarah is just a pawn, I’m certain the rest of nobility set us up. They should have been here already. Spineless cowards the lot of them. Bah! As if they’d help get rid of your outrageous debts when they profit from it.”

—-

07A5B649-E16B-46BB-AFD5-4B4F2FF55CCF.png

The rebel leader soon began getting informed for all the casualties. The numbers were staggering for such a short skirmish. She went a bit pale as her eyes gazed at the wounded officials she had selected only weeks before. The rebel leader placed a hand over her mouth in grief and silence. “So much.. death.” She lamented as her watery eyes looked upon the rows of bodies that were dragged through the bloody courtyard.

“Order our men to retreat, flee throughout the cover of the buildings, I doubt these templars would be so overzealous as to risk causing damage to the city.”

Her commanding officers were surprised, but were just as equally understood the circumstances. “Yes, m’lady.” The retreat horns were sounded, however, the rebels wouldn’t give up, with the exception of a few nimble ones and elites who understood retreat as a tactic and not as defeat.

“The rest of you, barricade within the Cathedral doors while the remaining buy us time. Make it quick!”

The remaining battalion would board up the cathedral door, bracing it with wooden benches and pushing heavy sculptures in the doors way.

—-

78C6DB1A-D7AA-468D-8B10-EB34C89397A4.png

Sister Joanne

Joanne looked down at the table as both forces engaged in deadly battle. I Her hands ever entwined and her lips murmuring prayers, and then prayers in another language as she heard the cries of soldiers and agony echoing into the cathedral halls.

“Forgive us.. Goddess, please look not upon our faults but the foul circumstances that compel us to act.”

The guards looked down at the nun who stared expressionless towards the great cathedral doors before she spoke onto them, “Guardians, I serve no threat to you, and consider myself an ally to your cause. Could you permit me to pray further into the cathedral?”

One guard looked at her and nodded before staring back at the door, “You may, and with that your leave o go. May your precious goddess listen to you.. ‘fanatics’ for once.”

The maiden would bow her head and head towards the chapel.

slifer37 slifer37

Shortly after as she walked towards the sacred place, a strangely familiar voice would almost echo through the cathedral. Somehow through the fray making herself heard. It was the familiar patron who attended and even funded a local fellowship. Joanne had even met with her a few times, mostly to give thanks for her continued funding. “Madame Remiel?” She whispered back, before the baroness suggested her exit. She’d take Remy, by her hands and quickly hid their presence behind a wall right outside the innermost part of the cathedral.

Joanne looked back towards the battle thinking twice about Remiels words then nodded to the baroness. “Yes, this wasn’t supposed to happen, something went terribly wrong.” The pious maiden fixed her attire a bit as she followed Remy down the long hall, “I was told to convince them to join the crusade, but the knights didn’t do as we had planned.”
Betrayal was a rather new thing for the town nun who worked at the infirmary, but it wasn’t a good feeling. Part of her was hurt, not to mention the injustice of killing an entire group of people for only wanting to ease their debts.

However, she’d take the baroness hand once more as she barely glanced at what was transpiring at the inner chapel. “W-wait.. No, we must go back. We mustn’t allow further desecration of the Lord of Whispers sanctuary.” With that, she pulled Remy by the hand, “Forgive me, madame, but I can’t allow this to happen. Please, by my vows I’m not allowed to act upon another in these circumstances.”

Once Joanne and Remy would arrive, the holy maiden would bow her head upon hearing his words. “If the goddess wills it..” she bowed her head before raising it, “..however, my heart weeps at the thought of further bloodshed. If it could be avoided I implore you both to escape from here instead of making battle in this holy place.”

—-

On the outskirts of Dagnia..

Well after midnight..

Skyhunter Skyhunter

Back at the Inn, the inn keeper would hesitantly undo part of the makeshift barricade they had managed to bare the door out, “Are you crazy!? It’s dangerous out there!” He said as she walked out, “Don’t bring any danger around here! You hear me!?” That was the last of it as the scared people in the inn barred the door behind Renee.

From the crowd, there’d be lots of talk about what had been happening, from pessimistic “Gods, those bloody fools! They don’t stand a chance.”

To sympathetic, “Oh please, let them live! They’ve done nothing but struggle to meet their debts! Someone, do something!”

And indifference, “Ha! That’s what happens when you can’t pay up! So don’t make deals you can’t keep.”

People would generally stay put, observing the fighting from rooftops. Or from down below on the hills the city was built upon. It was a spectacle never before seen, the whole city was watching. The church however, didn’t want this to become a frequent occurrence, and thus obtained a decisive victory. Sending a clear message to those who dared to provoke the Church. It was up to the Syndicate or better known as The Council Of Ghosts. Who no one dared attempt to overthrow during this golden age. But was it really a golden age? Or the council calling in all of their debts?

The witch could only speculate as she laid eyes on the battle playing out before her. Soon, the rebels would scatter, some making their way into the city where they could clearly be seen entering the crowds as knights chased after them. “HALT IN THE NAME OF THE CHURCH!!” they’d yell as the knights struggled to get through the dispersing crowds. Renee, being the ever observant witch could see three fleeing parties, one going north, east, and south of the cathedral should she choose to chase after them.

Otherwise, the battle was being taken into the cathedral.

“Call in the battering ram!!” The captain ordered, his mighty voice could be nearly heard throughout the city.

—-

Garbage Pail Kid Garbage Pail Kid

As Katriel and her companion Superbia made their way into the shadowy streets the other servants took note of her departure. Being a baroness, she was closely observed to keep secure. Being different in opinion as most nobles had gained her favor from the populace, however not so much from the nobility which meant potential peril for Katriel.

It wasn’t long before Katriel would identify the source of the commotion. The streets ran with blood as the cathedral was atop higher ground than the rest of the city. However, if she would approach the cathedral of the whisperer, the citizens would make way, as murmuring and general chatter began in regards to the baroness’ presence. “Lady Katriel!” One in the crowd would call out as he
made his way towards the noble.

2E318475-5D8E-466B-9F8D-940F15C669FC.png

“Please m’lady, this is no place for a baroness this late at night. Please, it’s not safe here. However, if you insist, may I serve as your escort?”

Last edited:
Renee Nyx
Skyhunter_black_hair_long_hair_witch_witch_hat_evil_smile_red_e_6f2e1a23-0c6c-450a-b5e5-cf01a9...png

Renee could care less about what the bartender had to say, she would go to danger and bring it if that is what fate had in store for her. The witch never did care much for those that didn't offer anything to her, that included innocents, unless they had something she wanted. But so far, there was nothing. Hearing the contending opinions of passerbys so far, she could tell the people of this strange city were all contradicting one another, in a religious city as such having the public be so divided was quite dangerous to a zealous group of fanatics. But Renee's knowledge of holy rites and texts was minimal at best. She could be wrong for all she knew.

As she observed from her small perch, she had crossed arms leaning against the statue as she watched this bloody scene transpire gave the witch a exalting adrenaline rush. She could feel her eyes widen and a eerie smile cross her lips as many groups dispersed like cowards. This church has crushed their morality. Disobedient children would be taught a lesson, a harsh one. The witch couldn't help but want to get involved. Although, the church was obviously the winning side, and Renee always joined the side that was going to win.

Her silver eyes glowed red as she observed that the main fighting was taking place in the cathedral. That would be the best course of action to go to get really close to the danger. Narrowing her eyes as she saw the captain, the witch held a hand up as a rune appeared underneath her own feet then close by in the crowd of civilians and soldiers. Timing it right, Renee activated her spell to appear in a small hole in the crowd where she wouldn't be noticed appearing amidst the chaos. In the blink of a eye, Renee would find herself near only a few meters behind the captain that was barking orders.

Teleportation Runes - Intelligence //// - Creating a rune that can be used instantly, Renee creates a series of runes that can be used by her to teleport her or others to close by locations to either gain a advantage or to get away from a adversary.

Renee allowed her eyes to return normal as she walked up to the captain from behind, casually. " Excuse me, but you must be the captain. " Renee stated as she touched his arm to; one, gain his attention. And two to make sure he didn't strike her with a wild strike with that arm or to slow it down to evade. " I am Renee Nyx, wandering apprentice wizard from the Magisterium. I see you are in need of help. How can I help? " The witch held a kind smile and gaze.

1689631399341.png

The moon was refreshing on her skin as clouds parted to bathe her in monochrome beauty. She needed fresh air, yet tonight...it only stank of blood. Her sense of smell had grown exponentially since her death and transformation; both a boon and a curse. The carnage at The Cathedral overwhelmed her as she needed a moment, leaning her hand up against a lamp post for a moment.

"I will be fine Superbia...The smell of blood is just...revolting" She said, knowing full well how her body craved it, yet it did not change her feelings. The citizens and murmurs moving passed her and leaving their secrets with her as she was quite talented at info gathering.

It was then she heard the concerned sounds of a guard coming up to her left. Her eyebrow quirking as she righted herself and dusted the dress off. She gave the concerned custodian a warm smile

"Worry not; Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. I cannot stray away from a path my fellow citizens are soaking their blood upon. They are fools, but they are my fools and I can't leave them to die. If you wish to escort me then so be it, but be warned. I am not afraid to make a stand tonight, and if the church deems me a heretic for it...then so be it." She said; using [Hearts and Minds].

The Baroness made her way further in; knowing she would find the source of this riot where the rotten scent was the most repugnant. She seemed quite serious about this all of a sudden; something igniting her on her brainstorming session. The smell, the sound of screams being silenced abruptly. If she had the power to do something and actively chose not to, then she was just as responsible for their deaths.

"Superbia, we may encounter resistance; Help any Broken Shield members. If The Church opposes your efforts to save lives, then kill them"

• Hearts and Minds: [Presence]- Katriel attempts to sway a target with her words and actions, making salient points or impassioned inclinations to win over those she sees as a potential ally

Baroness Remiel "Remy" Winters
1677875986522.png
With a voice as soft as silk, Remy would do her best to comfort Joanne, knowing that she could would not leave these people to die. All she could do was have her “I can only do my specialty if we are alone. If you insist on staying, then we must hurry, and stay to the outskirts of the battle. Even with our combined might, we cannot do much if we are harmed. We can only do what we can to save the lives of these people.” Reluctantly, she would follow Joanne where she wanted to go, as she was committed to help Joanne out.

As the first person fell, she could see their soul leave their body, could see the silver of souls all around her as they were forcibly severed from their bodies. The darkness in her wanted to reach out with a word, use her very magic to make them hers, have them fight as Joanne wished, but that would eventually get them both killed. It was all around her, and this much death in such close quarters could not be missed. She sorely wanted to try to save them, and with Joanne at her side, her faith bolstering Remy, it had much better of a chance of working.

Remy took an involuntary step in front of Joanne, her body shielding the healer from the holy knight’s prying gaze, the malicious intent instantly putting her on edge. Her guards turned almost as one, tensing at the possible threat, ready to attack. She had quick magic she could use to defend herself and Joanne, but that would be if there was no other choice. “Sir Knight, I thought Sister Joanne was in trouble, and I wished to help her, for having a kind heart should not get one killed. I am here to protect her. Nothing more, nothing less. If you would wish to help, then protecting Sister Joanne would be most welcome.” If Aurelin decided to attack, her guards would attack as well, hopefully giving her an opening for them to run. At least there was enough death around them for Remy to use if needed- though that was the only solace she could gain from this situation.

Aurélin Gustave Bochier
Mentions: RavenSong RavenSong slifer37 slifer37

Aurélin's gaze slid to Remiel, though she was a Baroness he did not know of her. So her speaking when unprompted did nothing to sway whether he would attack or not. She was not of The Church so he didn't place any stock on her opinion when it came to handling Heretics. After all, sinners will say anything to escape punishment. However, it was not to be. With a blink, Aurélin's attention was stolen. The sound of heavy footfalls reached him serving as a reminder of his role. Narrowing his eyes which held a glint of gruesome purpose within them. He slinked away from Sister Joanne and her "companions" having seemingly forgotten them entirely. The aloofness he displayed earlier disappeared as he focused solely on the sinners he would send to Dagna. With a swift twirl, the Spear of Selection was put into a position more suited to combat. Aurélin settled into a familiar tenseness as his whole body acted like a coiled spring ready to release at any moment. By the time he had reached the main hall, the fleeing rebels had run directly into his path

The Executor stood directly in front of the small chapel which held the Holy Relic of the Shrine of Whispers. The tip of the Spear of Selection pointed toward the ground, despite his seemingly detached calm there was no doubt that the Executor would allow no one to enter. He calmly adjusted his collar, even as the armored rebel haughtily demanded he move. He didn't even look at them as the conflicting personalities of the rebels clashed, some wishing to flee entirely while others' greed won out over self-preservation. Aurélin remained silent as if he hadn't heard the man at all, then his sharp golden eyes centered on the so-called "first son of house Azea". His gaze was like a hawk eyeing its prey, utterly focused. This was the herald of the inevitable conclusion which loomed like a reaper.

His body suddenly pivoted, right foot shooting forward and stomping upon the ground. Just as quickly his left hand rose. Stepping forward his left arm thrust out with supreme strength while his right went back behind him with the force he exerted. There was a release and then the sound of something splitting the air. Aurélin the Executor stood with his arm fully extended he let out a breath as if to release tension. A smile possessing neither malice nor goodwill stretched across his face, he adjusted his gloves idly, free to do so now that his hands were empty.

"House Azea was it? Hmm, they'll have to be investigated for Heresy then. You've made quite the trouble for your family, is that how you choose to honor your father and mother? I pray they cooperate, the death of their heir will be a sordid enough affair on its own."

He spoke directly to the noble's son, whose chest now sprouted the Spear of Selection. Still wearing the detached serene smile of a clergyman Aurélin stepped forward gripping the shaft of his weapon before pulling it out of the man's torso. His smile twisted wider showing that in some way he was enjoying himself. He cast his predatory gaze on the other Rebel's who had sought to flee or take the Holy Relic. Unfortunately for them stepping foot in the Shrine with violent intent while Aurélin was here sealed their fate. No matter what they said or did there was only one he would allow them to leave. Aurélin's arms spread wide like he was an impassioned preacher. The bloodied golden spear spread a light that was both beautiful and haunting. With an appearance that seemed to border on crazed Aurélin called out to them.

"Now then, let us pray for the salvation of our souls! Even Heretics may find peace... in the next life!"

53a477ad7b97fc2b96de4204f5f6f6b1.jpg

677AFEB4-FB18-4CEA-B1EA-277F380376DC.png

Dagnia City

Cathedral of the Whisperer..

Well after midnight.. full moon.

It had seemed the church’s inquisition forces and the new rebellion had reached a stalemate. It was inevitable that the knights would eventually break through and finish off what remained of the leadership. However, until the holy knights could break through the door the battle would slow down considerably. Ultimately halting at the cathedral doors.

The troops marched over the mutilated bodies scattered through the courtyard as they approached the cathedral doors. Emotionless, zealous, intoxicated by their devotion for their one true goddess. It wasn’t long before the slow marching battering ram marched ever closer and closer to the door. The soldiers chanting, “Heretics! Heretics! Heretics!” As they got ever closer to defeating the rebels. Their torches lit up the courtyard, and others began to gather wood for the mass burning of prisoners.

B39432D6-0FDD-439F-A017-D5DA4FA91754.png

Sarah Thorne, as leader of this rebellion stood with eyes closed in disappointment as she now stood behind the cathedral doors, she reminisced on her life. Specifically on her beginnings as an advocate for the people, local council woman, then as a student of Dagnian law and now, as the person responsible for organizing a rebellion. Her mind scurried to the Dagnian courts only months before. Those soulless, gray, almost ghoulish judges who were obviously bribed to block any sort of documentation and not even consider the reasonable terms she was proposing. She remembered the look in those faces she was defending. Her very own hardships and struggles smeared across their faces, she couldn't let those people down, not now. It was maddening.
And quite frankly there was no other choice but to take up arms. It was the just choice.. the only choice. It sprung to mind how quickly her movement garnered followers, received hefty amounts of funding from anonymous sources that she could only define as either the populace or people who benefited from overthrowing the current rule and finally those with common interest. She was twice the criminal in such case, perhaps thrice and any plead for her life would certainly fall on deaf ears now. There was no way out but through, or going into hiding. Somehow.

More than anything she fixated on the nobles betrayal, they had accepted to face off with the Divine Flames. They never came. Suddenly a loud bang emitted from the braced door that snapped the young commander back to reality. “OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE CHURCH!” A booming voice roared and echoed behind the great doors. There were still numerous rebels, although holed up behind the cathedral, how would she lead them now? Her own options were becoming more and more limited with every passing minute.

It was then that a scout approached the rebel commander, “Commander! We have found the exit to the mausoleum underground below the cathedral. However, our informants have revealed the identity of a particular individual guarding the entrance. Executor Aurelin.”

Sarah made a fist, “Damn the gods. Have we not enough obstacles already?” She asked no one in particular, but then turned to the scout as he continued. “Surely a few of us could hold him back commander, however, the most dangerous detail about this inquisitor is that he wields a peculiar weapon.” Sarah wasn’t amused or surprised, she needed this executor out of the way at once. Everything now was at stake and it all balanced on hope. Hope that someday all of the indebted souls would someday be free. The Ghost Council's golden age was a prosperous one, but at what cost? Bringing more and more people into debt was certainly not the answer.

Sarah suddenly thought about how she even came to become the Rebellions leader.

It was almost too easy. Was she somehow set up? She wondered and speculated, but perhaps it was simply her wounded ego and devastated heart from watching brave young and old people give up their lives for the cause. Doubt, was an inevitable trap for the woman commander with an entire army at her beck and call.

Sarah steeled herself, her voice echoed through to the remaining rebels, which were still quite a formidable force.
“Everyone! Search this part of the cathedral for anything that could be of use to you. We head to the chapel at once!” The remains of the rebel battalion quickly mobilized. Sarah would make her way as well, before looking to those at the cathedral doors. “Brace the doors as best you can and follow after us.”

The eight soldiers looked at their leader and nodded before getting to work, breaking into a small armory and some even changing into priestly vestments to fool or surprise any potential threats before finally following after the rest.

—-

At the Chapel of the Whisperer..

78C6DB1A-D7AA-468D-8B10-EB34C89397A4.png

slifer37 slifer37 EMIYAman EMIYAman

Joanne upon arriving to the innermost part of the cathedral with Remiel in tow by her hand the nuns eyes widened as she let go and placed her hands over her gasping mouth. “By Dagna!”

Turning to look at Remiel, she quickly suggested, “Madame, I don’t have time to explain but it would be most wise to not disturb this sacred place with violence. I sense some sort of dark desire within you, please, do what you can to maintain your restraint if you can.”

She’d then hold the bottom of her habit up to facilitate a sprint towards the men revealing hostilities to one another at the heart of the cathedral and in front of a most sacred relic. Holding up her hands she’d exclaim, “No! You mustn’t fight here! This is a holy place!” She yelled as she ran with all her might. But she was so far away and could barely be heard through all the turmoil going on outside and the yelling and clamoring going on inside as well.

Before she knew it, the armored knight that had just stood before Aurelin fell, the executors weapon pierced the man like butter, groaning as he fell to his knees, with a gapping hole fuming in his stomach area. By the time the nun reached them, the heir Bernard of House Azea was dead. Prompting the nun to stop as well as she rested her gaze upon Aurelin. Her eyes wide, as the maidens heart would nearly stop.

“You’ve.. slain him.” She stated expressionlessly, as she began to walk closer to the warm, bleeding, armored corpse. “And so passes, Sir Bernard of House Azea.” She’d then look back up at Aurelin, and shortly after that towards the small enclosure behind him. The holy maiden was clearly anxious and very nervous, however she eased up a bit before addressing the priest.

“Brother, I am sister Joanne, consecrated to our beloved goddess Dagna. I don’t believe I know you or know of you. What brings you here?” Her steady gaze exuded a certain calmness about it as the Executor raised his arms in glee, or accomplishment. He was surely a force to be reckoned with and so the nun made no attempts to be threatening however, she had a mission she felt compelled to attempt to accomplish if she could, “If I may humbly make a request sir. For the preservation of human life, and to prove that we're not simply worshippers but also take action in the name of our goddess we must end this conflict peacefully and without further bloodshed. We must help the Broken Shields.. we must help them escape.”

—-

1C9C6C54-4F21-4F78-88D0-4F90EC397BCC.png

EMIYAman EMIYAman

The noble knights eyes widened with contempt for this executor, “You know nothing of my family! I’m here to uplift their names! We were cheated, and forced to forfeit everything we own! My family was forced to make contracts with swords to our throats! No. None shall question our valor, and my vengeance shall begin with you!” The noble knight, would draw upon his weapon emitting a loud metallic sound as the forged and folded steel was brought out of its scabbard. “Prepare to die!” Suddenly charging towards the Executor, “For the rebellion! For Dagnia!!”

It was then that Aurelin would reveal his formidable skill, as elegant in his form as the sheer beauty of his spear he'd make his strike. With frightful and masterful skill, the Executor plunged his weapon into the mans stomach.GAHHHHH!!The attacker yelled in pain as he only barely missed the parry. His sword still lifted above his head would then fall from his trembling hands, echoing throughout the holy place and looked down to see the Spear of Selection well through his abdomen and out his back.

Aurelin would then mercilessly pull his spear, ripping through flesh and steel as vitals spilled from the nobles mouth. He’d fall to his knees with a ‘clank’ as he looked towards the chapel with devotion and the altar before it. “My.. family- my.. house.. Dagna.. calls me home.. father.. I’m.. coming home.” With that he’d fall over, his helm falling off his head to reveal a corpse, with open eyes. His pupils dilating. The heir of Azea, was dead.

The other two knights, too shocked and cowardly to face the Executor ran the opposite way, running past the nun and necromancer and straight into the rebel commander. Stuttering and afraid, they’d tell Sarah what had transpired when they'd finally reach her. The commander then drawing a sword and finally arrived, entering the heart of the cathedral.

It wouldn’t be until after Aurelin would answer the nun (should he choose to do so) that Sarah, commander of the Broken Shields would enter. Sword in hand, and ready to give her life for her cause.

B39432D6-0FDD-439F-A017-D5DA4FA91754.png

“You there!” She exclaimed pointing her shortsword at the Executor. “Have you no heart? Have you no conscience? How can you look upon this city and consider it just that men women and children be made to slave for the agreements of their forebears?” A deep passion in her voice was growing as she stepped closer. The battalion would follow behind her, Aurelin was outnumbered. However, would he single handedly attempt to quell the entire rebellion?

“I’ve lost too many men to the Divine Flames. I can’t afford to lose anyone else. So I will fight you here and now. Identify yourself, priest.”

As she held her sword her free hand glowed, she started towards Aurelin.

Joanne, would immediately attempt to diffuse the situation, “Madame Sarah, you must temper the hatred within you, we can’t-“

“Your words are appreciated nun, and your reputation precedes you. You really are as kind as the rumors say you are, however, this issue will not be solved with kindness but with the cold forged steel of our will.”

“I must insist m’lady, you see, the relic-“

“I’ve heard enough. Be still.”

After the commander had passed her, Joanne followed closely after her. She hoped the Executor would diffuse this conflict somehow and step aside.

“I beg you both, don’t do this, haven’t we lost enough people to violence? Is this all we’ve become?” She stood in between Sarah and Aurelin, looking at them both, hoping they’d just leave this be and cooperate even just a little.

“Get out of my way, nun. This man is set on eliminating us here and now, just look at what he's done here already.”

"Its.. never too late."

slifer37 slifer37

Remy would see the soul of the noble that Aurelin had just slain float out of the body, however, it wouldn't rise or dissipate like souls usually did. Instead, it seemed there was a struggle between the soul and the chapel. Remy would notice it was pulling at the spirit until it finally went through the doors and into the chapel. Remy would hear a hissing, and then shortly after an indiscernible chorus of whispers. Some were manic sounding, while others sounded like contemplation, and further still some sounded downright demonic.

---

Outside the Cathedral of the Whisperer's great doors..

Skyhunter Skyhunter

After casting her rune spell, the witch would suddenly find herself in a vortex that spun and weaved time and space itself. Manipulating the very fabric of space and time she suddenly appeared behind the Knight Captain. The captain was besides a few wagons, which was where they kept armaments, raiments, banners, and all manner of weaponry to supply the battle should new recruits arrive. Renne stood upon one of these wagons, moving aside a few boxes of arrows and fire oil with her foot as she stepped up to the captain and tapped him on the arm with care and caution so as not to startle the man.

B95F10C8-5801-4E4B-9E37-9793738AE504.png

Skyhunter Skyhunter

"HUH?!" The captain exclaimed with surprise, although zealous and full of directed rage he was much more intelligent than to simply strike at anything that moved. He was assigned to this position for his ability to lead, and calculate. "Help?" He repeated as he turned his horse to face the apprentice. "The Magisterium?" He repeated once more, his face certainly revealed he was considering something. "Perhaps you might know of a way to break that giant door free?" He asked with a faint grin, although stern and serious. "Whatever magics you might posses, your assistance would be welcomed here. Whatever you choose to do, you have a direct order to take action immediately! You'll be paid handsomely from the churches coffers, but only until my men can get through! Otherwise we'll be here all night, those doors are reenforced with steel!"

He'd point towards the cathedral.

cb411bb6eb4bf93d4ebc6b1bdc76f812.jpg

"Are you well-fine Katriel?" Superbia would quickly come to the baroness side, holding her up a bit as she seemed to be having a difficult time with her senses. "Yes-agreed.. it's happening again.. i remembered." She said affirming herself that this was that familiar thing her master did when exposed to blood. "Don't pay-give it too much attention, mayhaps-perhaps i can carry you?" She was so eager to help, how else could she pay back her master who so graciously liberated her. In the city of debts, it was almost a cultural obligation to feel indebted to someone who had gone through great deals to grant you freedom or liberated one from a monumental debt.

When the guard arrived, Superbia would lash out, "Stop-Halt vermin!" She said as she quickly drew her chained sickle. It spun hastily at her side, but then looked at Katriel and put it away knowing this guard didn't pose a threat. She was quick to react, and was quite frankly a bit on edge as a few weeks before there were a few attempts on her life whilst out on a night walk. As the guard spoke, she got awfully too close for comfort, sniffing him. "This one hasn't bathed in almost a week, lady Katriel." The rat woman would then pick up his helmet and go through his hair. "And he hasn't combed his head fur either." She frowned, but placed the helmet back on the guard and returned to Katriels side with a sigh. Wondering if such details warranted mistrust.

However, before she could inquire further, the rat woman tilted her head at her masters words addressing the baroness. She meant business, and this was about as serious as she had ever been besides when she openly confronted other, much less, kind nobles. Which she was trained to keep restraint should their foul words be taken too personally.

Then the baroness addressed her and gave her a command, "It shall-will be done as you wish-desire lady Katriel. At once i depart." Without another word, the rat woman would run on all fours sticking close to the darkness without being detected. Once at the cathedral, she wouldn't dare approach the knights from the door, so instead, she decided to try her luck on the opposite end of the cathedral entrance. The windows were very high up, but due to the nature of Superbia's race, she dug her claws into the crevices in between the blocks of the structure. Getting through the window was the easier part as she held on to a tapestry inside quickly reaching the ground. She'd notice the whole scene transpiring before her between the spear wielding knight, the spellsword who seemed to be the commander of the rebel army and took mental note to protect her, then the nun whom she wasn't very sure about and finally the necromancer who reeked of some kind of dead smell. She'd keep from being revealed, and she hadn't been detected. Standing by for any real combat or confrontation.

2E318475-5D8E-466B-9F8D-940F15C669FC.png
"Uh.. what the-" the guard said confused at the rat woman Superbia's probing, it was rather strange and foreign for another race to be so close and inspecting of him. It was usually he who did the surveying of any suspicious activity. "Alright, strange.. but alright." He concluded as Superbia stepped away.

Upon Katriel using her ability [Hearts and Minds] the guard nodded and felt inspired by the baroness. The fact that she was such a high profile noble willing to get into the nitty gritty of the city wasn't common. And quite frankly not many nobles cared for what happened in the city beyond their fortunes and contracts. "Then i shall do what i can to see that you're neither labeled a heretic or worse tonight. Shall we make our way Lady Katriel?" He bowed his head, taking his helmet off. "My name is John, of the 7th guard regiment. I overlook what comes in and out of the city. If you are in any need of such details i can use my position to further aid in any information available."

Attachments

• 96A1EA73-51EF-42C1-9D36-1AE18C783B76.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1690007394110.png
"She is quite...distrusting of humans, but you seemed to pass her test" Katriel said with bemusement, she knew how much resentment could stunt any potential for peace. She knew how cruel many races were amidst the shadows of oppression; a vicious cycle she boldly believed she could break. Superbia was going to be a champion to her race, and she one day believed Superbia would get the recognition she deserved, a maternal instinct flaring in her barren womb. Her expression growing determined as she focused on the present.

"You are very kind Sir John, I will keep your reputation in mind so you aren't damned with me" She said with a bittersweet tone; There was no telling who or what the church would inject into a rebellion. She could only hope they listened to reason.

Katriel marched forward, flaring her hand and sweeping her hand back. She had wasted enough time here; there could be dozens of lives being lost already.

"Let us end this madness together Sir John. Hear me and let your fighting spirit roar! I will reform this entire country brick by brick if I have to." Her words like a flint and tinder as her hair rose like static ran through it for a moment. John feeling a warmth up his body as her words triggered [Embolden]. Katriel made her way toward where the smell of decay was the freshest.

• Embolden: [Presence]- Katriel shouts affirmation and confidence into the hearts of those around in a short radius, increasing a stat by [2] for a short duration

Renee Nyx
Renee_Shackles.png

While money never really concerned Renee, she would still like something out of this. Gold would do she supposed, she doubted Dagnia had any sort of magic tome or something of the like for her. Money would do, but also to sow a bit of chaos in this city would be a lot of... Fun. She wanted to be in the action as these two warring sides fought against each other. If she could push the two sides more into each other... Than why wouldn't she? The witch stared at the captain with an ominous smirk on her face, she took a couple of steps forward as she held her hands behind her back with her held high. " You best clear your little soldiers then. Once I am ready with my magic, I won't stop for anyone. " The witch warned in an almost in a mocking tone, she walked through the soldiers while she looked at the cathedral doors.

Getting to the center of the doors and standing in the crowd, Renee took a deep breath as she felt mana enter her system, she could feel the energy course through her body in a tingling sensation. The power it wielded spoke to her. It wanted release, her eyes slowly opened revealing glowing red pupils, her hands were extended outward where she witnessed electricity flowing through her fingertips. Her smile crept back onto her lips as she stared up at the cathedral doors. She wanted to witness a fight occur, she wanted her reward. Taking a step forward and aligning her body sideway as she brought her right arm up with two fingers extended towards the doors. A bolt of powerful electricity flowed then fired out at the doors with a bright hue of blue and the sound of booming lightning followed.

• Chain Lightning - Intelligence /// - Gathering mana into her body, she releases a wave of lightning that strikes a target then can affect nearby targets with powerful lightning.

Renee exhaled deeply as the bolt connected with the doors as she stood up straight smirking. Having leftover mana in her system, she would use what she had left and pull that mana into a manifestation of black, using her hate and anger. Looking up at the doors two blades of pure darkness appeared beside her on each side, as she then extended her hand out to the door, the two blades would fly into opposite directions before arcing back towards their target being the door. This would either slice the doors down or it would slice into whatever troops were on the other side of the door if her first attack blew the door open.

• Pincer of Darkness - Intelligence /// - Using the dark arts, Renee summons two waves of darkness that close in on a target or multiple targets from both sides in a pincer maneuver that can cut up the target.

Last edited:
Aurélin Gustave Bochier
Mentions: RavenSong RavenSong

Reinhard_29.pngHaving struck the first blow Aurélin stared down at the nobleman as he cursed and yelled before finally sputtering out his final words. The Executors stare betrayed no emotion that could be mistaken for empathy or regret. As the helm falls from the rebel's head Aurélin blinks. "A Debtor? I see, no wonder he was so desperate." With a flick of his hand, the blood and viscera marring the Spear of Selection splattered to the tile floor. His head turned to the rebels in the guise of knights. No sooner had he did they screamed in terror and made to flee. The Executor watched them go, as he only planned to defend the Holy Relic and the back of the Shrine what happened to the rest was the responsibility of the inquisitorial forces. He was doing this job out of obligation nothing more, the rebel heretics had forced his hand, normally he wouldn't be involved in clean-ups like this. Aurélin's gaze once more returned to the festering corpse on the floor. A blank expression crosses his face but there is a shimmer of a deeper emotion, his lips twitch, and like a mirage, it vanishes. Making the sign of his faith he offers the only respect afforded to a forgotten corpse.

It was then he realized he wasn't alone. Still facing the corpse he turned his head to the side his eyes landing on a Sister of Dagna, the same one from before. And the noble woman she had been with though she remained at a distance. Curious he watches her as she approaches the corpse at his feet. As her wide eyes full of horror stare into him, there is a stirring in his heart, but just as quickly as it comes, it goes. The Sister's words are issued more like a statement than a question like she had only spoke aloud to ensure it was true. "Indeed." Aurélin spoke matter of factly showing no guilt for what he had done. The Executor stared into her eyes the distress obvious upon her. Aurélin wondered if it was simple empathy; a sensitive heart that had spawned such emotion. Or if it was something else entirely... Before his suspicions could fully grow however she righted herself. The nervousness was still palpable, but she had stowed her feelings for the most part and instead greeted him rather politely, almost as if she hadn't cared so deeply about his killing of the Debtor. Admittedly he was impressed

Aurélins sinister smile from before had been put away in the face of Sister Joanne. Returning to his kinder priestly smile he often defaulted to. Placing a hand on his hip appearing at ease he politely responded. "I am Aurélin of the Bochier family." Aurélin almost begrudgingly gives his family name but offers no more. "What brings me here? Why, Heresy of course." He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders like he was vexed she didn't understand such a thing. Aurélin was calm and in his own way, jovial. Contrasted with his bloody visage and the remains of the rebellion still present in the Church. There was a predatory look in his eyes that never seemed to fade and hearing Sister Joanne suggest aiding the rebellion in any way only made his gaze sharper. "You seek peace even with Heretics? I see the stories are no exaggeration truly the patience of a Saint, Sister Joanne..." His deflection was obvious. As well as him knowing who she was. Of course, his countenance had not changed and he spoke practically carefree. Her question to save the people hung in the air, unanswered.

Then the Broken Shield rebels rushed in composed of much of the survivors and their commander. Aurélin did not change his stance merely turned his gaze to meet them. The cloaked woman wielding a short sword called out to him enraged. As the signs of an oncoming battle grew Aurélin twirled his spear almost like he was restless for what was coming. He let Commander Sarah unleash her tirade, denouncing his actions, claiming him inhuman and the justice of their cause. All things he had heard before from Heretics. In truth, it was growing rather stale. Sister Joanne's attempts to placate them were of course ignored by Aurélin there was no point in even entertaining the idea. Just as passions were reaching their height and the commander said all she wished to Aurélin gave his own words. "Your reasons are irrelevant, your moralizing woefully ignorant, and your transgressions unacceptable. The Debtor System is the will of Dagna to fight against it is to fight against our goddess and that, is Heresy."
Reinhard.Tristan.Eugen.Heydrich.full.259810.jpg
With a flourish, Aurélin hefted the Spear of Selection holding it diagonally with the tip of the spear pointed to the rebels. His wicked grin from before returned the visage of a serene man cast away. "I am Aurélin Gustave Bochier, Executor of the Seventh Sacrament presided over by the holy Cardinal Prelati! The man who ended the Farmer's Heretical Rebellion! Wielder of the Holy Relic: Spear of Selection. By the will of Dagna, you shall be judged for your sins! Sacred Spear, removing restraints." Gold light suffused the main hall as a magical array materialized upon the ground suffusing the entire hall. With the twisted grin of a zealot, Aurélin actualized the miracle. "Hear me, Sacred Spear, and pass judgment on mine actions!" The spell is activated and light emanates from the spear in the center of the magical circle. As the light touches the rebels it begins to burn them as the weight of their sins is measured and used to punish them. It's mild at first even bearable but soon it will grow until their Heresy kills them. Aurélin grins as he waits for the promised time. But... it does not come. Save a couple of rebels among them with wicked hearts most are only mildly affected. And as the spear's miracle is finished most of the rebels stand with only minor wounds and the commander is barely marred. Eyes widening Aurélin for the first time expresses true shock almost horror. His mouth agape words fail him for a moment as he looks around incredulously, even looking to Joanne who is just as unaffected. In disbelief, he stares at the Spear of Selection gazing upon it like one would the betrayel of a friend. "Why? How? You are all sinners... Its impo-" Then the spear's backlash hit him causing Aurélin to cough up blood. The startling realization combined with the spear's cost brings him to his knees. Just like that the Executor who had once been confident in his faith was utterly shaken and beaten with hardly a fight. He didn't even have the will to bring himself up so lost was he in what he had believed impossible. "How, how, how! The spear is never wrong to suggest otherwise is blasphemy, but if so then what is this!? They should be dead, this is Dagna's will made manifest her will is clear! I-I should kill them, but... does this mean they aren't heretics?" He was completely conflicted and thus no longer the threat he once was. Aurélin's strength lay in his unshakable faith and now that foundation had grown weak.

Last edited:
1677875986522.png
Remy felt sorrow at the passing of the brave knight, at the man having died for his beliefs, to the zealot. Though, she had a feeling he might come up against someone or something that could challenge him later on. Right now, he was adding to the death count quite heavily.
She walked over to the fallen man, reached out, closed his eyes, and spoke the Dagnian death rite over Sir Bernard of House Azea, something Aurelin and Joanne would have been taught. It was her duty, her right, to know the rites for each area and apply them, all in the honor of the god of death.

The situation seemed to get worse, as the soul that was supposed to go upward instead went into the church. Not a good sign. Though, this was why she didn't like zealots like this priest- he had such "unshakeable faith" that was shaken the moment his magic spear didn't annihilate everyone in his path. No matter, what she assumed was the machine that contained the debtor's souls was behind the door, and she yearned to free them. The debtor system was like her magic, but for purely capitalistic means, and it felt disgusting to a real practitioner of death like her.

"Lady Joanne, this temple is not the sacred place you think it is. There are demonic forces here, and they are corrupting this place. The rebellion is hiding something here. I must find out. I will go deeper into the church. I do not think this knight will heed your word." Remy whispered to Joanne, breaking apart from the tableu before her involving the rebellion leader, Aurelin, and Joanne, taking her group with her, heading straight towards where the soul had went. She would use her guards- the biggest and the toughest-looking of her reanimated guards raising a hand. The earth would shake, the foundations of the wall loosening and breaking until it crumbled, leaving a hold towards the room where the soul entered, revealing it's contents to everyone inside. She did not touch the machine, leaving it alone...for now.

5F5B85B7-51D5-4B18-9F51-0481FE9D807A.png
City Of Dagnia

158F21B8-29A0-4EDD-B44D-9041507DD0C7.png
Cathedral of the Whisperer

EMIYAman EMIYAman

The spear of selection had failed! Perhaps it was the mysterious will of the relic in Aurelins possession that instead of invalidating this rebellions cause it actually seemed to legitimize it. How peculiar, as the inquisitors judgement with the artifact up until now had been more than impeccable. A cold realization. Perhaps even a relatively deep gash to his priestly ego. Maybe this was an opportunity for Aurelin to humble himself to his goddesses wishes. What if Aurelins path wasn’t one he chose, but one that chose him? As he looked down in shame as the blood that spewed from his mouth flowed out upon the impeccably clean marble flooring, an eerie feeling could be felt.

A new feeling would soon be felt within the inquisitor, a sense of renewal one of deep meaning and purpose. He began to feel as if the countless prayers, sacrifices and devotion gave way to some sort of divine guidance.

However, before this emotion could be defined further, a shadow began to grow behind him. A pitch black shade that would slowly blow out the candles that lit the interior of the center of cathedral. Something much darker was awakened in the abyss and brought forth into the impeccable cathedral

IMG_2097.PNG

Whispers..

“Hazeth.”

“Pozkemat Horukun Zezzz”

A raspy voice spoke that sounded like a thousand whispers in unison. Those who would behold it would see that the relic itself was in fact the face of the vehicle of the lord of whispers. Those with at least Faith /// would recognize this creature as a sort of avatar, not the god himself. The creature loomed and seemed to gaze outward towards the exit of the cathedral. It was still, eerie and silent. Soon, the whispers grew, and a fog mysteriously entered the cathedral as shaded and cloaked ghostly apparitions walked solemnly into the cathedral. Some of these ghostly visitors sat and prayed fervently nervous but vigorously others dropped to their knees in panic while still others arrived and seemed to praise the avatar of whispers. The creature remained still. Those with at least Faith //// or Intellect //// could make out the prayers being said, to everyone else they only understood this was some sort of ancient sect that had given not just their mortal lives, but those ever after. Likely, forevermore.

In the days before Dagnia was founded, the ancient tomes speak of a religious order, one that went back to the founding of Dagnia in which through the Relic of Whispers, managed to launch a bloody crusade against both the western and eastern lands. However, The Pact being recently instated, the ghoulish council became divided in opinion. Generally, half wanted to follow the rules of the pact, seeing it as an alternative way to accumulate to their already massive wealth through legal trade and monetary recognition. The other half wanted to spread the kingdom, to expand its influence and be more than just a city state. So popular was this divide in opinion that it became a very common topic throughout the vast city. Gatherings were beginning to take place in secret, Either way the battle was soon known as a clear breech of the pact. Not wanting to incite a new war, those against the cause of conquest did the unthinkable.

17741AA1-E3C4-40BB-8E5A-79C3AE32E8D9.png

While the war grew the most dire west of the river those faithful to the pact and with the help of foreign kingdoms managed to cut supplies to the warring army. Leaving them to starve abroad. Those responsible were executed, and enslaved forevermore to suffer the weight of the ultimate debt to serve the avatar of whispers. Additionally the one council member responsible was sentenced to forever be torn to pieces an inch at a time by the avatar.

And so, the pact was honored ever since.

D7F11598-D253-4551-9E5F-1D723BD39335.png

“Whomssst.. awakensssss.. me?” The avatar raspingly whispered to everyone within the cathedral.

RavenSong RavenSong EMIYAman EMIYAman slifer37 slifer37
Joanne/Superbia/Aurelin/Remy

Suddenly, the begging and praising ghosts revealed their vast weaponry. All laughing together as they started step by step towards Aurelin, Joanne, Remy and Superbia threateningly. They had the choice to move forward and attack, to make way into the passage out of the cathedral before the ghosts cut off the way or fall back towards the rebels and the encroaching templars, but there was another choice further still... one perhaps a bit more daring.

IMG_1708.jpg

The cleric would place a comforting hand on Remys shoulder, sympathetic and remorseful for such loss of life. “I’ll pray for this noble to return to his home, madam Remiel. For now, we must do what we can to see this night through.” Upon hearing the first words of the Dagnian death rites, Joanne spoke them along as well, it was an unfortunate casualty and she couldn’t help but empathize. Then after hearing Remys conclusions about the place, and her thoughts about the rebellion she smiled a bit, but didn’t entertain the necromancers thoughts. Joanne knew that as a servant of death, Remy was more so attached to the afterlife. Whereas Joanne was devoted to the entire cycle. Dead or living, both were nearly interchangeable, and eternal life was in fact m, plausible. To Joanne, it was what one did with their living life that determined the quality of your next life, if of course one kept themselves free of any otherworldly debt. To the nun, demons were purely evil creatures, the souls and spirits of those long forgotten were not, much less the gods that encapsulated animate forms.

The nun would then turn her attention towards the inquisitor, she’d bow her head a bit at Aurelins comments regarding her reputation. Ignoring most of his criticisms she faced him as she spoke, “I have devoted my mind, body, and soul to the wellbeing of Dagnias citizens, regardless of their creed. Our blessed mother looks after all of us despite our devotion or faith. She negotiates with the divines in our favor at every moment, and gives us the privilege to worship her or deny her.” Entwining her hands at her chest. “If I carry any sort of reputation, it is because the goddess so guides my hand. Anything I may have, or attributed to this vessel is only by the goddess’s grace, oh blessed brother.”

It was then that all the attention shifted towards Aurelin when him and the commander greeted one another in their own way. The holy maidens attempts to come to some kind of negotiation was thwarted or blatantly ignored. With due reason, considering this seemed like a clash of ideals where one held onto tradition whilst the youthful fire of rebellion attempted to melt away the old to bring forth the new.

All Joanne could do was look on at both sides as she stood between them. Aurelin was indeed completely given to his beliefs as one would, being raised in the Dagnian nobility and he’d respond perfectly aligned to his faith.

However when the spear in Aurelins possession began to glow, and the end for the commander seemed all to real the spear.. failed. Joanne stepped forward once more. Perhaps desperate to bring about cooperation.

The nun entwined her hands pleadingly, “Oh blessed brother Aurelin, be not ashamed but reframe the choices before you. Would you not accept these people’s cause?” The holy maiden glanced at the spear at his side. “Have you not enough proof that perhaps this rebellion fights true?” The nun would help him up from his self inflicted disbelief. “Know that the divines work in many ways. Sometimes they humble their devotees to see the hidden paths before us. However, they are rarely as straightforward as this.” It was Joanne who would spot the growing darkness behind the inquisitor, and as soon as she saw the pitch black haze behind Aurelin, Joanne reached for the priest grasping him and pulling him off the altar. “On alert brother!” She whispered before taking a few steps behind him to better make out the great avatar. The holy maiden would entwine her hands together once again, a visage of fright upon her otherwise courageous expression taking out a small stone out from within her robes and habit. “Dagna be merciful, for I have not yet seen your fairness and wrath.” She muttered as she whispered prayers under her breath then the ghostly templars arrived in all their seemingly confused worship. Sister Joanne would then make out the origins of their prayers, belaying them to the others as she began to speak out loud. “These afflicted knights are begging the relic to keep some sort of prince from being slain in some sort of battle.” Joanne would then have a hard time recalling anything further that could help, but perhaps her oath of fealty kept her from elaborating even if she wanted to desperately. “It’s as I feared. We have awoken the ancient horror of this cathedral.”

Joanne would quickly muster her abilities and addressed the group. “To anyone willing to help; this creature is beyond our mortal abilities to fight it. It must be locked back into the relic, but you all have to give me some time to cast this spell!”

The final choice is to guard Sister Joanne from any incoming source of damage.

slifer37 slifer37

Remy, being the intellectual and a noble with access to some of Dagnias deepest secrets would remember a few tomes on the history of Dagnia, revealing the tragic and mysterious fate of the prince of Tridea. Remy would recall This prince as the youngest of his house, the aforementioned prince had attempted to prove himself by leading the charge east when the Relic of Whispers gave him a revelation. It was said that the relic had bestowed upon him a gift that could turn him into a fearsome winged warrior capable of ultimate destruction. However, it is written in these ancient texts by witness scribes if the time that after nearly an entire decade of fighting the way was finally clear for the prince to reach the great mountain. A procession would ensue, the Dagnian prince, later known as the Prince of Rags or the Heir of Ibelin was given the highest honors of both the church and the council and with that his confirmed sainthood. In the princes absence after taking the one hundred day journey to the top of Mt.Saraya, it was as if by fate when the kingdom of the wild men of Khantor besiege the princes army.

They came upon the Dagnian army with incredible force as these wild barbarians axes and spears pierced Dagnian plate and mail.

It was the Ill desire of lesser men that it be so when no provisions had come for weeks due to an internal betrayal in Dagna, the once great, mighty army was at last destroyed. Not by another kingdom but it’s very own however, any conclusions were ever since debated. The prince however, was never seen or heard from again. Although rumors quickly spread that the mountain was haunted by some sort of ancient evil. That the prince was still alive, and that one day he’d return to bring Dagnia into an age of prosperity. And conquest.

slifer37 slifer37

As Remys skeletons approached the small shrine, they instantly evaporated upon touching the looming shade presiding over them. Remy then knew that what she was dealing with was some sort of banishing magic immune to undead entities. Perhaps more direct means we’re necessary in order to damage such creature, if it could at all.

177ADDF2-1C64-4B79-AE43-7E3C887A53F9.png

Superbia

After entering the cathedral Superbia sniffed the air, her rodent like nose twitching as her soft whiskers glistened like silver threads. She cunningly and silently moved in the shadows in between the tapestries, behind the benches as silent as any of his kin until something stopped her in her tracks She happened to arrive just as things had gone from bad to worse. Looking towards the shouting and boasting meeting between some sort of inquisitor and who appeared to be the leader of the rebellion. Admittedly part of the rat kins heart was certainly with the rebels. Having suffered at the hands of those that claimed to be for the people, or those that spoke in strange ways and used the word faith he didn’t hold onto any faith in humans.

She stayed hidden for a large part of the interactions, she was the best of her kind in her own mind but she wasn’t reckless. Katriel would certainly be intrigued to know about the happenings occurring before her. Her plan was to remain hidden if it could be afforded.

However, before the takin could turn and escape from the windows she had arrived in, a looming deep darkness appeared before the entire cathedral. Furthermore, a certain religious person stepped forward to entrap the fiend back into the relic. It was then that the urge to stand by the nun arose, surely, lady Katriel wouldn’t want to hear that Superbia could have done something to keep thousands from certain death when she could have prevented it. Right?

Making her way through the cathedral to Joannes side like a shadow she appeared behind the sister. “If you trust-know that you can put that demon-monster back in the rock-stone then I’ll keep those ghost-apparition things away.” Raising her chained weapon and spreading it above her head Superbia waited for the nearest enemy to get close enough.

0772816F-A048-4050-8734-C353443101DC.png

Commander Sarah stepped menacingly towards the inquisitor Aurelin, the moment was becoming more and more tense as rebel soldiers began to fill the inside of the cathedral. The clamoring of swords would echo throughout the alabaster made massive structure, as everything seemed to boil down to the fate between the two about to meet with sword and spear.

“All if my life, I have waited for a day to have the liberty to slay an inquisitor, to whom most of the suffering is to blame.” Sarah seemed almost blinded by her own rage, the flat out denial and immovable mentality enraged further. It seemed Aurelin would make the first attack however, something happened. When the inquisitor fell in disbelief Sarah was just about to launch her own attack when the rebel leader suddenly stopped as well. “Say your prayers!” Sarah blurted and echoed throughout the holy place, she charged her sword, the magic in her free hand was beginning to hum with destruction, she’d charge towards the ashamed inquisitor but stopped in her tracks when Joanne got in the way. “S.. sister! Get out of the wa-“ then she’d suddenly take many steps back towards her approaching men, her face was in shock. “What on earth is that!?” She exclaimed as she stepped back from the shrine. One of her men then called out, “Its guarding over the escape passage! We must get through if we’re to survive the Flames attack!”

BD0D9734-EA55-4FE0-A9FD-4C07120641F5.png

Then Joanne stepped forward and called out her plan, the rebel soldiers rallied, “To the maiden!” Suddenly the rebel soldiers charged towards the ghost knights. Commander Sarah would stay close but was still recovering from the sheer shock of the apparition before her. “It.. it can’t be.” She muttered

E326D3F1-3C6F-466D-AC1C-72CB113EB6CB.png

Skyhunter Skyhunter

The Captain scowled at Renees attitude, however, if he wanted to quickly crush this rebellion he very well knew he had to employ the services of ‘specialized’ ‘exceptions’. Magic held a strange reputation in Dagnia, although it was widely used it wasn’t something most people did to harm others. Magic was a responsibility, and with that the moral character to uphold such standard.

Meanwhile, the templars had given way to the witch. The men would disperse upon orders from the captain. And Renee was free to approach the great cathedral doors.

Her abilities would strike true, however, Renee noticed she had to channel the lightning magic a bit more than she thought she would, the lightning would quickly chip and burn away at the petrified wooden door. Like fiery whips the lightning emitted from her hands before with a roar the hinges gave and the impenetrable door gave way. A few of the templars would nod at Renee while others scoffed at her. No one would utter a word to her however. It was controversial for any outside the faith to aid, some were prideful others spiteful towards outsiders. This mentality wasn’t out of hatred or bitterness it was how Dagnians survived through millennia, it was how the balance was better maintained between assimilation and upheld tradition.

The Marshal would yell, “ATTACK!!!” As the iron clad knights battle cried while entering through the cathedral sword, spear, axe, shield and mace were brought forth into the holy place some even on horseback.

Behind the lines, Renee would hear the voice Of the Captain, “Well done witch, here’s your reward as we agreed.” He’d let fall a small satchel if gold coins from his gloved hand onto the witches grasp. Stamped and marked as the church’s personal currency. “The bishop sends his regards to anyone who aids to uphold his rule.” Looking at his men enter the cathedral he continued, “It must be personal if you’re looking to go in there, however, Dagnian clergy are always looking to pay whoever aids their cause. If you’d win over whoever is in there, your betrayal could be well paid.” The Captain wasn’t a recruitment officer, however, perhaps Renees intentions were purely ideological but that didn’t mean she couldn’t get rich doing as she wished.

Having only recently arrived to Dagnia, Renee had already found herself in a sort of employment if she so wished it, otherwise she was free to enter the cathedral to decide what she would do next.

If she’d choose to go in, Renee along with the many knights would witness the unspeakable horror that had been awakened within. The witch would arrive just in time to hear Joanne speak of her ability to placate and pacify the avatar back into the relic.

9CA2DCD5-DFF3-4EF3-A63F-2E322D54F9BF.png

As Katriel magic influenced the elite guardsman, he closed his eyes before a glow evaporated from them shortly after he opened his gaze once more. “I’ll put this boom to good use m’lady, although your quality hasn’t yet been widely accepted just yet, there are many of us who would have Dagnia become a place of prosperity and not debt.”

As Katriel made her way towards the cathedral alongside the guardsman, there was a murmuring from the crowd, some reached out to touch the fabled Baroness. Others would kiss her ring. “May Dagna watch over you lady Katriel.” And others further still, “May you rise far above your enemies both from outside and within these walls mlady.”

Sir John would then make way through the crowds and into the cathedral. “Madame Katriel, the gate stands before us, may I advise you to reconsider.” Although he knew her response he was fairly worried for the baroness whom in the streets was being named “Dagnias Hope”. Surely a fitting nickname for a baroness that openly denounced the iron fist and ledgers that governed the city.

Upon arrival to the gate, the Flames Captain approached.E326D3F1-3C6F-466D-AC1C-72CB113EB6CB.png

“Council Katriel..” he bowed his head, “..we have the situation under control here, there will be no need for councilor overlook, victory is only a matter of time here.”

It was then that Katriel would notice the burning door. And the Captain would attempt to avert her gaze towards the populace. “I believe it would be best if we didn’t bring any further attention to the matter Madame Katriel.”

John lightly and confidently smirked at the Captain. “As heir of the council I believe the lady can do as she pleases, unless of course, something is amiss here with how this situation is being handled.”

The Captain scoffed, “I’d watch my tongue if I wanted to keep it.. guardsman. The matter here is settled there is no need to press forward unless one would be folly enough to cross the Holy Flames Bishop. Intergovernmental war between church and state is not good for a successful campaign.”

The Captain the looked towards the gate. A few templars fleeing in terror. “Run for your lives!!” They screamed in horror.

The Captain grunted. “What is it men?!”

“A-an a demon! A terrible horror has been awoken sir!!”

“What?” The Captain gasped and looked at Lady Katriel, “My lady it’s not safe here, please evacuate immediately.”

Attachments

• D6E28F35-45FC-4396-8A36-4F6DC38E1E20.png
    D6E28F35-45FC-4396-8A36-4F6DC38E1E20.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Renee Nyx
Renee, Illusions and Fire.png

The witch, after having brought the doors down to the cathedral, stared at her work. Having her head raised up with a smirk on her face, showing her dominance in power to these mere Neanderthals that knew nothing of true power. Yet... They could care less, care less about this small portion of the power she just presented to them! Her eyes narrowed as they gave their head nods or grunts and rushed on into the fray. Pathetic. The witch scoffed in her mind, she felt disgusted helping these foolish fanatics. Then the captain would approach her after telling his men to charge in like the brainless dimwits they were, to hand her a piece of the reward she was promised if she continued to help. Having her hand out to take the small purse, she nodded and placed it in her satchel before listening to what the captain had to say before scurrying off in search of his personal glory.

Renee sighed as she looked at her hand where she fired the lightning from, seeing her fingers were a bit seared from casting her magic. The witch frowned at seeing this but rubbed her fingers and moved on. She delved into the cathedral after the men went in to die for their cause but that isn't what happened. Instead what happened was that upon walking into the cathedral, there stood this tall being as a eerie silence had overtaken the cathedral. The witch walked in as the whispers began, " It speaks prayers. " Renee stated mainly to herself as her hands were behind her back looking upwards at the creature, she was analyzing this creature. The words of the priestess grabbed Renee's attention, looking to the priestess, Renee would make her way over to the woman, she sounded like she knew what she was doing. " Before you do anything, you all might want to hear me out. " The witch stated with a smirk, she looked unafraid of what was happening and turned her head to look at the creature before them.

Having her head raised she would speak after examining the creature more. " What we have here is a creature that is a prison for something darker. Something related to your religion. Someone named... The Councilor of Antiquity. Your very Councilor who betrayed the prince. " Renee explained, she pointed to certain symbols on the creature. " These symbols I have witnessed in my tomes of old. Destroying the Relic or creature will release the Councilor. They are one in the same, priestess. " Renee announced like she was lecturing them all. " Best be careful in where you attack otherwise you will all doom yourself. " The witch stated with a chuckle. Luckily for Renee she was a bookworm and she had read this in a old tome involving faith incantations and lessons on how people in the faith were able to retain their body by creating avatars and connecting them to relics. " Otherwise, carry on. " Renee brought a hand up and flicked it away from herself to allow the rest of them to start their attacks. Renee herself only stared at the monster before them, interested in what it would do.

Aurélin Gustave Bochier
Mentions: RavenSong RavenSong Skyhunter Skyhunter

c3f06c9a8feada1621d02cf75bb7a4af.jpgThe once threatening Executor was now a sorry sight. He writhed and struggled upon the floor unable and unwilling to lift himself up. The pain he felt in his body was great as the blood dripping from his mouth could attest, but the pain in his spirit was greater still. A blow to his very faith he had never once suffered. The chaos around him has faded from his mind, the rebels, the clergy they were all like phantasms. Wispy and unfocused, mere mirages in the face of the storm in his mind. Aurélin stared intensely at the Spear of Selection as if trying to coax reason from it, but it remained silent. Resplendent and yet horribly obstinate in it's radiance. The normally unflappable man grit his teeth in frustration.

However he would not be allowed to be alone with his inner turmoil, there were those who still demanded he pay his dues. Commander Sarah of the Rebellion saw his moment of weakness, broken as Aurélin, was and wasted no time in capitalizing on it. Her shout barely registered to him all that mattered was the Holy Relic that had been entrusted to him, and in his mind, his own failure to uphold his faith. Surely he reasoned that it was not the spears fault but his own, he must have been too weak or his faith not strong enough, or perhaps it had been tampered with? Many excuses for what happened occupied his thoughts, not one any closer to the truth he knew deep in his heart. He no longer had time to think, soon his life would likely end at the hands of a Rebel. As Sarah's magic was about to be unleashed, the end seemed all but set in stone. Until Joanne stepped in front of him shielding Aurélin. Despite it all whether he deserved to die for his actions or whether his faith had truly been misplaced it mattered not to the Sister who valued the life of even a unflinching Executor so dearly. Her words were what finally shocked him out of his aimless mental struggles.

Aurélin raised his head staring into the eyes of Sister Joanne; looking at her he felt he understood just a little how she came to be seen as a modern Saint. At her words the last of his fanatical belief reared its head. With an intense yet cold expression he tried to summon up some retort, but the seed of doubt had already been planted within him and it would not fade so easily. "Sister, I..." A renewal threatened to grow within him spurned on by her words. It was almost like a divine calling as if for the first time Aurélin was truly being spoken to by the god he so cravenly revered. The Executor could not help but listen to Joannes pleas, surely these were signs. But man is ever fearful and weak even an Executor is but flesh and so like many others called upon by a higher purpose he refused it, turned away from it in terror. A deep fear even he could not admit too; the meaninglessness of his actions. To call the current situation into question is to doubt the very way he has lived for a decade, no man can so simply bear such a weight. "I-I know I am right. This cannot be what the goddess wants... It can never be!" He slammed his fist upon the ground in desperate rage seeking some escape from his doubts. They were still there within him, but it seems true change would not come quite this day.

Darkness burst forth, light extinguished and the world of the living intersected with the dead. The Cathedral hosted a spirit of the abyss and it had appeared among them. A great shade darker than night towered over them, its from sprung forth from the so called "Holy Relic" of the Shrine of Whispers. The relic that was said to allow one to communicate with the dead; this inhuman thing was the medium. Aurélin's face twisted into horrible awe. His eyes were wide and he dared not look away from the shade. "How can something like that be here?" He did not even shout, merely speaking in a hushed tone unable to understand it. Despite the presence of the Holy Relic all but confirming the worst he was still in disbelief. His instinct as an Executor honed over years told him one thing; this being was incompatible with the common sense of man. Aurélin could take some educated guesses as to its true nature but his Faith was simply not enough to fully comprehend the thing. It spoke in intangible whispers that caused the hair on Aurélin's neck to bristle like the hackles of a beast in the face of a terrifying unknown. Then he realized they were surrounded, by phantoms that madly worshipped and cried at the shades feet. Remnants of souls now long lost. This allowed at least one piece of the puzzle to be revealed to him, he didn't have the full picture but he'd heard something about this. A religion which predated Dagnia's founding, this was a remnant of them. The Cardinal had spoke of them once long ago. For them to appear now like this was baffling. Then those same phantoms drew ghostly blades. Joanne suddenly called out to them all knowing more about the situation than anyone else. It was a call to action to set up a desperate defense against the shade, together. A part of Aurélin writhed at the mere idea of working even for a moment with those he had resolved to kill, but once again that doubt made itself known. The Spear of Selection hadn't worked that was a fact, a powerful apparition beyond them all threatened their lives and potentially countless others. This too was a fact. Aurélin was still lost he was full of questions, regret, and murderous rage. He did not know what to think, and perhaps he had sinned and deserved punishment as the Rebels had implied with their very rebellion. Nothing was as it should be neither him nor this battle, but, despite all that the Spear still lay in his hands.

"Wait, Sister." Aurélin shambled closer to Joanne his body still weak from the use of the Spear's miracle. The blood still flowing from his body. Yet he appeared resolute and in a way, stronger than he had been before. "W-when the faithful... struggle against the dark... they pray, correct?" A tired smile was upon his face but it was sardonic almost mocking. Whether it was aimed at himself, Joanne or even something else was a mystery. Nevertheless the fire in Aurélin had yet to die. That was when things grew both more complicated and hopeful at the same time. Allies emerged from the shadows, one a female Ratkin likely from the perilous Khantor and the other a woman of eerie black in the guise of a witch. Aurélin's eyes narrowed at the appearance of the latter he had dealt with witches in the past and the less said about such dark encounters the better. The knowledge she offered was fascinating as it was worrying but it did not change what they had to do only added more variables. Unfortunately he did not have the luxury to do his usual threatening so he ceased his glaring. This was the opportunity they needed after all. "Heed me Sister, there is a way to banish this abomination. A miracle without the need for a Holy Relic the greatest defense against the spiritual." With the remnants of his strength he managed to form clear words, though this caused the blood to flow more freely. The Spear had rendered his insides a mess. At the rate he was going he may just pass out by the end of this. "The Cardinal Prelati once taught it to me, and now I shall do the same." Raising himself to his feet Aurélin with a few deep breaths to steady himself brought his lips to her ear and whispered the holy aria. The Burial Rite and old incantation meant to eliminate and purify wandering souls with holy words. Wherever the Cardinal had learned these words their power was without question. Though they did not stem from Dagnia, a fact Aurélin had once struggled with but eventually ignored in the face of their unerring utility. "I would do it myself but..." He seemed to struggle with his next words briefly before looking her with a resigned softer expression than normal. "I am too weak, both my body and my faith. That is the crux of this spell it is only as powerful as your belief. And I am too full of doubt. But not you, you are true in your faith I can not deny that even if I may oppose you." Aurélin brought his gaze to the golden spear in his hand a complicated expression playing across his features as he looked to it. He couldn't use it again so soon; it would surely kill him, not only that. He could no longer fully trust its miracle, or rather his own judgement. Until such time he believed he fully understood the Spear of Selections judgement he would not call upon the miracle again. The Executor extended his hand offering the spear to Joanne. "Take the Spear as well, you will need a magical foci to purify them all. Speak the activation chant 'Sacred Spear, removing restraints' but no more lest you end up like me. The magic circle will do the rest." He placed the Spear into her hands, but did not yet release her hand. "Do not misunderstand the Spear of Selection has but one wielder. No matter how you view me or my actions no matter the blood I have piled upon my hands, I am an Executor. Mans defense against that which lies beyond. That is our original purpose, now go show the depths of your Faith which so stubbornly clings to the Heretic and the Debtor!" Aurélin, had not changed. He was still the ruthless Executor who took joy in killing far more than a man of the cloth should. He was still a weapon more so than a man lacking in empathy or mercy. But this pride to defend the masses against the dark, this too was a part of him. Yes he had not changed, but perhaps there was some good in an Executor no matter how little. And one day that seed within him may bear fruit.
  • Burial Rite - Faith / - The holy words spoken by priests of old when interring the deceased. Normally that is all they are, a couple of phrases with some power to ease the minds of those left behind in the wake of death. When used by those with sufficient skill in Holy Magic and Faith the Burial Rite comes into its true power and original use. An anti-spirit miracle meant to purify wandering souls. After the words are spoken it is effective immediately. Aurélin as an Executor has used the Burial Rite to banish vengeful ghosts and remnants of demons. Due to their inherently spiritual nature, the words are weak against anything with a physical anchor such as a flesh and blood body, but against spiritual entities, their power is theoretically absolute. However, its effectiveness is dependent upon the faith of the user and their talent with Holy Magic. Meaning only the most powerful of Saints could use the Burial Rite to its full potential.

Last edited:
1677875986522.png
Remy gritted her teeth as this entity took three of her guards, leaving the other three behind. She ordered them to protect her and Joanne, putting one between her and the Executor, one on Joanne guard duty and one for guarding herself. The loss of her reanimated men was a blessing and a curse, as she had less people to guard her, but the cost of keeping so many high-leveled reanimations up lessening as the mental load that came from her brand of magic.

Remy cocked her head, hearing the whispers and the prayers. Not one of the followers of Anaag, chosen as one blessed to receive his favor, but of another. "The woman is correct. This is the Counselor of Antiquity." Remy replied to Renee, clocking that the woman has at least as much knowledge of what was happening as she did. If one person spoke, they might not instantly believe her, but two people saying so would bring more credibility to the witch's words. Though she hoped the witch would help them and not continue to stand there, especially since a fight was actively starting to happen.

"Sister Joanne, take care of the relic. I will help the Executor. I know the death rites. I will bolster his magic. My guards will protect you. If all is lost, then run." Remy told the priestess, choosing to stay only to protect her. IF she had her way she would take the priestess and run, but if the woman would stay, then her new job was to protect Joanne and give her enough time to do her work.

Luckily, only her more...malignant death magic, the things she meant to use to harm would show with the particular brand of her magic, as her magic would show it's harm and helpful use along the spectrum between the tones of black and white. This use of her magic didn't have the pure white light of her resurrection magic, but would show as grey as she joined her voice with his, matching Aurelin's words, soon leading the chant herself as his voice broke off to speak to Joanne. His Burial Rite and her knowledge of most of the death rites were in tandem, weaving her necromancy among his burial rite to accomplish the same task.

(Put That Thing Back Where It Came From OR So Help ME- ////(Intelligence) Her complete mastery over the deathly arts allows her to release the undead and send their souls to the afterlife to rest.)

1693629712160.png

She was among the rare few of her station whom had experienced true povery; humbling her station and keeping her well grounded. She did not wish for such an upbringing on others, yet the stuffiness of Dagnian Upper Crust felt so very...disconnected from the world. It was why these walks of hers were always bogged down by worried guards and enamored men and women. She gave each of them time, despite the dire nature of tonight, she gave every dagnian the attention they certainly weren't getting from the rest of their betters. It only spurned her ire toward this dreadful system.

A vicious brow quirked high and mighty in the presence of stammering Sir John, attempting to meekly dissuade. A firm smile replacing the momentary frigidness

"Worry not Sir John, I do that enough for the entire city-"

Another one of the guard, A captain, barring her way toward the church. Her prenatural hearing picking up quite the commotion inside, yet did not reek of as much blood as she paled to think on her journey here. Her eyes focused now on the captain, piercing as she grew tired of these games. Sir John and the captain having a spat before things became far worse.

A terrible odor and sound causing her to hold her hand to her mouth in disgust; what in the hells was that? The captain's noxious breath a fragrance to her now as he continued to windbag. She did not like using that card, but she had little choice if she had any hope of her proposal actually working.

"If you value your station, then I'd advise against ordering around the granddaughter of A Ghost Council member, now move aside. Let's pray you haven't delayed everyone to their death yet!" She said, pushing passed him as she now ran into the church with little care for her 'appearance'.

Sensory overload was an understatement to the situation she arrived to; Out of her depth, yet, she'd never felt more confident. There was some sort of entity and while it's nature was unknown. Her cursory glance around revealed many in shock of this sudden apparition. A few members of the church were acting it seemed though she did not have enough time to discern what. It was now or never she supposed. Giant dagna spectre be damned.

"Citizens of Dagnia, Hear me! I have been a proud citizen for over a hundred years, and in that time. I believe I know how to save this city from it's greed. If you'll open up yours minds and listen!" She shouted; emotion began to rivet through her thin frame, rattling tears down her porcelain cheeks.

"I will buy out the debt of your loved ones, of every undying servitor slaving for a nation founded on eternal suffrage! I have seen such greatness from our people, both in tragedy and in success. My plan will allow the dead to rest, increase trade with The Pact and even Khantor! There are a great many people who respect me and even more so who would see me dead, yet would you believe it isn't because of my Vampirism? If you believed in me, allowed me a position where here and now I can repay it tenfold; I know you can believe in the many creatures of the night whom are like me. A victim of circumstance who are people looking for hope, for a night full of stars they can sleep under peacefully. The Ratkin like my dearest Superbia are tortured and murders daily, and if given a new home free of such cruelty? The aggrieved can let their dead rest, and the church will accrue new workers, and even converts! An entire work force willing for a new start. I cannot say this plan is without flaw, but isn't it better than soaking holy ground with innocent blood? Put your faith in me! Please! I will carry this burden and see this city saved from itself!"

• Hearts and Minds: [Presence /////]- Katriel attempts to sway a target with her words and actions, making salient points or impassioned inclinations to win over those she sees as a potential ally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back