• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Raeligard

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Currently:
Thinking: "This is gonna be tough."

Interacting: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun AnonyMouse AnonyMouse
Mentions:

Hyss had been concerned for their wellbeing - but just didn't know how to say so. When Falco so obviously berated them for their apparent lack of it, she deflated under her hood, frowning under her mask. The little barb hurt a bit. Whether it was because of his scathing, irritated tone, or because he was right, she wasn't so sure.

"I am not against being warm and 'fuzzy', as you put it." The snake girl mumbled under her mask. She was just not used to interacting much with others. Though, this is Kriegslöwe. It's a different environment. There are others who are sensitive like this boy; I need to update my way of interaction. She took a breath in, thinking that would be tough.

She had caught his irritation in his prickly comment, but hadn't caught his how he backed off some from what he had said. In other words, she hadn't noticed he noticed her injuries and thought himself stupid. Again, Hyss wasn't great at reading people quite yet. It was something she was working on. A shadow had to be good at that. Observing others -from afar.

Still, his retraction likely wouldn't have mattered to her one way or the other anyway. As she was focused on amending it. He sought some encouragement after what had just transpired. Naturally. Of course he would. Of course they would. But beneath her mask, Hyss found her long tongue tied on any such uplifting words. Luckily Thea stepped in and said some. Wait. Those were encouraging words?? Those weren't much at all!

Instead she opted to respond to his comment, once again missing that it was supposed to be some sort of deflecting joke. "Fast? Not so fast to be proud of, but in a timely manner, sure. That is the nature of how missions operate," Hyss pointed out, as if it were obvious. "Wasting time during a mission means life or death. It's only fortunate you all handled yourselves this time, but next time? Even a fraction of a second late could be tragic. No time to hesitate." She explained her thought process to Falco.

"Follow me?" Speaking of adapting to a new environment. That was odd. The hooded Hyss was not used to being the one followed. In fact, she wondered why Thea had made that assertion. Was she already seen as that reliable a person? That feeling made her heart swell.

".. Sure. Yes, follow me. But it is unwise to think it is just some homeless man training a few dogs down here. That would be odd, wouldn't it? Keep your wits about you."

Cressey
Current Location: Sewers

With the silence her outburst had wrought, the dark, gloomy silence enveloping the tunnel seemed to only grow darker, gloomier and far more dreadful in the wake of what should have been a momentous victory.
Cressey should have felt happy; she was victorious, her allies were alive and mostly well, and their foe was dead.
And yet, she could only feel shameful, having failed to settle the matter herself, letting harm come to her friends, and even impetuously lashing out at them in her blind frustration.
It was a small, welcome comfort, when a group of somewhat familiar faces and voices appeared before them, mostly unscathed.
Surprisingly, it was Falco who took charge, filling in Thea and the others of what had transpired, albeit with a clear chagrin that revealed that he was just as shaken as she was.
Perhaps he's more used to it, Cressey wondered, taking a moment to take stock of herself, checking her reflection in a nearby puddle.
As she'd expected, she looked a mess, rattled, bloodied, her nose already beginning to swell with a faint bruise.
How embarrassing.

Well, if that fool can pull himself together in this situation, I certainly should be able to, she defiantly chastised herself, straightening out some of her frazzled, disheveled hair.
That's right, she should feel victorious; she was alive, the man was dead, and they were safe.
However, she couldn't put herself entirely at ease; there were still far too many questions lurking here, and judging from the look on Falco's face she wasn't the only one thinking them.
"He was most certainly a mercenary," Cressey remarked, daring to take another look into the face of the crumpled heap laying on the floor before them.
It didn't speak to her this time.
No, it never really spoke to her in the first place.
She had watched quietly as Sakura and Falco paid the man their last 'respects,'
She understood their hatred; after all, he was a villain, the things he said and did, both real and imaginary, were beyond reproach, and he would have slain each and every one of them if they had given him the chance.
And yet, Cressey couldn't help but feel a small pang of pity, looking upon his body now.
He was a skilled warrior, brave to face them all on his own, and at the very least, he deserved the redemption of an honorable death, in a fair duel, one on one, by her hand.
"...and he was a powerful one, at that."
Those parting words would be the one respect she would give him.
She would pay him back eventually, by giving any of his co-conspirators the fate they deserved.

Speaking of which...she thought to herself, remembering a prior memory that might prove poignant to the situation.
"Falco, do you remember what he said before, when he first revealed himself?" she asked, turning her attention towards the silver-haired boy.
Not waiting for his answer, she continued, "He said that 'all ten of us couldn't take him'."
"He knew we were coming, he knew our numbers, and he knew each of our positions. I doubt some mere dogs would be capable of telling him all of that...which would mean that he must have gotten that information from something, or someone else."

Looking back towards the body, she put a hand to her chin, morosely adding, "...But if he does have allies lurking within these tunnels, comradery doesn't seem to be their strong suite, considering they left him to fend for himself, and left you to contend with only his pets. Perhaps they've no interest in fighting?"
"But..." she continues, quixotically extending her hand upward, as she turns back towards her guildmates.
"...There is still a chance that they may be lying in wait in the shadows, taking up arms..."
In an abrupt motion, Cressey's outstretched arm suddenly flies forwards, snatching a fistful of Razul's flowing, glimmering cape.
"...which is all the more reason why you won't be going, let alone leading, anyone, anywhere!" Cressey protests, roughly pulling the princely 'boy' closer.

Interacting:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco)
AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul)
Topless Topless (Sakura)
RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea)
EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia)
Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)

After Cephilia explained the situation as she knew it, Gaius took charge, arranging everyone into a tactically sound formation and guiding them toward where he assumed Thea's party would be. The cascarieth noble took her position ahead of the spider and his squirming quarry and behind the ovil-ken, paying little heed to his wariness of her arcanizer. From the letter of introduction, she knew he struggled with such things, which was why she had chosen to leave his arcanizer unloaded. But no details were given.

Before meeting him, she assumed he was a slack-jawed nincompoop from some backwater ditch, who feared the 'newfangled magicks of them high-minded city folk.' To her surprise, he has proven himself to be reasonably intelligent and quite well-mannered thus far, utterly destroying her severely misguided preconceptions. In fact, she found him to be fairly pleasant to be around, like a breath of fresh air in these fetid tunnels.

We'll see if that sticks when the spells start flying, she thought with a smile as she followed the big green fella. It was certainly not the first time she had judged someone entirely wrong, a character flaw she would blame on her upbringing. Fortunately, Cephilia learned to keep her opinions close to her chest until they were fully-formed and anchored in a solid foundation of empirical evidence. Or just keep them to herself, full stop.

Under Gaius's leadership, they soon arrived at the site where Thea's party had been attacked. Unfortunately, the lady knight and her companions were nowhere to be seen. "Hmmm... it seems I had the wrong idea about Miss Schuerer. I assumed she would hold this position or regroup with you all, since your groups seemed to know one another's location. That would have been the safe thing to do," Cephilia commented as she paced in a semicircle around the canine corpses, thumbing her chin curiously.

The animals' remains had been arranged in such a way that they formed an arrow pointing toward one of the drainage shafts. The morbid display was illuminated by a makeshift torch, bathing the area in a sickly, flickering orange glow. Cephilia considered the possiblity that the newbie adventurers had been driven back and away from this battleground against their will, and the meat arrow was a misdirect left by an enemy. But that seemed very unlikely. Someone had stayed behind to move the corpses and it seemed unlikely that the owner of the dogs would do such a thing to his slain pets.

Naturally, Cephilia's attention turned to the shaft, which she knew led to the lower levels. If Falco's party had chosen to scout ahead, as Gaius said, their travels would eventually lead them to the depths and, possibly, the natural tunnels beyond (assuming they didn't get turned around or lost, like a bunch of noobs might). She could not imagine Thea's party choosing to risk crawling down this claustrophobic shaft without good reason for doing so. It was likely where the dogs had come from... which put Falco's party in imminent danger... which explains why the knight-to-be chose to forge onward into the unknown rather than regroup with Gaius, Thal, and Risax, two of whom were too large to aid in the pursuit anyway.

"I see now..." Cephilia remarked as the gears in her mind clicked into place. However, it was also possible that Thea had nothing to do with this stratagem and had been out-voted by someone else... possibly the same psycho who thought dog corpses made good markers instead of leaving a bit of cloth or scratching a simple message in the tunnel's brickwork. Someone sure had their sick fun today, Cephilia remarked witha wry grimace.

"Okay, here's the deal," she said, addressing her party. "I admit, I don't know these tunnels as well as I used to, but if I were a ruffian trying to do nefarious things in a sewer, I would choose the least 'sewer-y' part of the sewer. That would be the natural tunnels, at the lowest level. My best guess is, these dogs came up from there --possibly after encountering Falco's party-- and Lady Schuerer chose to follow them to the source, to verify the status of her allies and, if necessary, rescue them." She shrugged. "You know, typical knight stuff."

Cephilia's steady blue eyes studied the drainage shaft for a moment, looking from it to Risax, to Thal, as if sizing them up. It didn't take much to know what she was thinking and what the outcome would be. After a pause, she sheathed her rapier.

"This leaves us in a bit of a quandary, as that is likely where the dogs' master --or masters-- lie in wait. I suspect this whole debacle was an attempt at forcing a retreat, to prevent discovery of their base," she said to her companions. "Unfortunately, for them, I sent Viv around to check out a cave where Tylsen's subterranean river dives underground. If all goes according to plan, she has entered the system from its outlet and is pressing inward, toward our location... and, perhaps, right into the enemy's lair. I wasn't sure if I would find you all, so I figured two veteran adventurers, traveling in opposing directions would better my odds. But now it has the added advantage of boxing them in, if they are holed up where I think they are.

"The way I see it, we have two options: press onward, gather your companions, and make our move, like real Kriegslowen,"
she grinned at the mild teasing, making it clear which option she preferred. "Gaius and I can take the shortcut and see how Schuerer's party has fared, while Risax and Thal can take the long way. Your... 'friend,'" she nodded to the cocooned dog, "can lead the way. just don't let him give you the slip and dive down one of those drainage shafts. Alternatively, there is option number two: we turn back and let Viv trot into the hornet's nest alone, if you all don't think you're ready for this. I have absolute faith in her ability to do so, but I also want to see with my own eyes what this latest crop of newcomers can do."

Interaction(s): Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) / AI10100 AI10100 (Thal) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)
Mentions: N/A

Last edited:
Risax
interaction: AI10100 AI10100 Kenshin772 Kenshin772 AnonyMouse AnonyMouse
the little group now in the company of one of the guilds veterans now in tow Risax felt a fair deal safer with at least a level of knowlage considering the whole situation had spiralled out of control and out of there league. After a little bit of time they ended up back at where one of the other groups should have been. Animal remains shaped in that of a arrow and the others nowhere in sight. "Yeah seems we know alot less about what's going on still.. concerning prehaps she saw other opportunities?" Risax would say quietly. After some time Cephilia spoke again explaining that whatever or more likely whoever owned the now mostly dead dogs would be hiding deep in the tunnels way form the overwhelming squalor of the sewerage, And that the knight girl had most probobly gone off with her team to.save the others Risax was inclined to agree since it seemed the most reasonable option. "Yeah that does seem the like what happened cant think of any other reason for these animals." Risax nodded thoughtfully. "As for what we do next i say option one, sure we might be new but we've handled ourself well up yo this point no need to back down now what do you say guys?" Risax voice more chipper in tone now.

Thalgrukh
Interacting with: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Cephilia)
Mentions:

The sign was a little morbid, a little disturbing, but rather effective. Thal didn't think of them as the type to do something like that but he wasn't there to judge. He was there to hopefully regroup with the others so they can find out what the sewers actually contained. Cephilia seemed to have deduced what had happened and it made sense. He looked back at the hole, grimacing at its small size. While his size did give somewhat of an advantage to muscling his way through people but not when he needed to go through small passages like this.

"Agreed. I wouldn't put it past them to grab a prime opportunity to help the other group." It wouldn't be the wisest idea but even he had to admit that he wouldn't want to leave his fellow recruits behind if he could help it. He turned back to the drainage. So it was possible that they could have cornered the person who owned the dogs? Thal hoped that there was only one person. Even a skilled bandit can be taken down by being outnumbered, right?

They were presented with two options and he couldn't help the smile on his face. Risax readily went for the first option— to continue down into the sewers to provide help and collect their fellow recruits. Thal nodded along in agreement.
"You said it yourself, Miss Valdergeuse. We're aiming to be real Kriegslowen and I'm not keen on letting these kids do all the heavy lifting." A bit of a challenging tone, but overall, the underlying sentiment of wanting to see them safe was clearly there.

"It'll probably take us a while to get down but we'll be fine." He said as he looked towards Risax who was still holding their little mutt. "We should probably get a headstart."

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Currently: Leading others away
Thinking: "We were watched! And I didn't notice?! How useless am I?!"

Interacting: King Crimson King Crimson
Mentions: others around

"Hm, knowing who and where we all were seems to imply he's got some capable accomplices. Those 'others' were apparently watching us the entire time." Hyss concluded. She narrowed her eyes and quickly scanned their surroundings. She didn't quite like that fact. It meant she had overlooked something as trivial as a tail. Or perhaps hidden passages in the walls. Or maybe some other strange, mystic surveillance system. Their current surroundings didn't suggest anything of quite that grandiose, but perhaps that was what made it so genius. Using such a place of squalor, that no one would even dare to look, let alone give it any sort of scrutiny, not wanting to bath in that stench for more than a minute. However, nothing currently looked amiss. But that didn't necessarily mean much. She couldn't really sense anyone about them currently either. Were her senses that dull down here? Thrown off by this hazy, reeking miasma? Or were they possibly not being watched right now? "I suppose his allies assumed he was good enough to take care of the job, and didn't bother to make sure you all were killed by him. That's one grace at least, they won't know the outcome of this battle, which means we can take them by surprise."

As the girl mentioned their adversaries lack of fighting prowess, Hyss had a thought on that. "Hmm, perhaps. But I wouldn't assume that. It could mean they're not the combative type, since as you put it, they employed such a strong mercenary. However, making any assumptions like that will only lead to folly. It's best to assume the opposite. That each one of his shadowy allies are equally as strong as him -however many they're are. Even if they aren't, and they likely aren't, it's still better to make that assumption. So we can come at this with as much caution as we can muster, using our brains to formulate the best plan."

She turned. "Now come on. I shall lead you out of here, as suggested." The small hooded girl said, as she side-eyed the other group from the shadows of her hood. "Some of you look like you need to seek a medical professional. The way is simple, I will guide you well. I will not move too fast. Plus, I will keep an eye out for any of our unsavory adversaries. You can trust my instincts and senses to keep us safe."

Or, I hope so... Hyss wondered with some concerned chagrin.

"Look, I ain't stupid. I mean, not all the time. I'm all about my wits, okay," Falco said to Hyss. He was slightly annoyed that the debate had shifted to theories about why the dead man was down here and what they should do about this intruder. Did it even matter? Even if they figured out what he was up to, what could they possibly do about it if they crossed paths with more people like him? "I know he's not a hobo. He was just disguised as one... which is something assassins and hitmen do," Falco said, while gesturing at the body and the disgusting cloak the man had been wearing. "I don't wanna see any of my friends get assassinated or hitmanned, okay." He smiled at Hyss before turning to smile even more at Lucia: "Especially you.... milady," he added with a small bow.

Even though his mind was still somersaulting and backflipping, on account of their recent near-death experience, Falco felt oddly relaxed and increasingly comfortable in his own skin. Comfortable enough to flirt with Lady Edelgarde, even. Maybe he was still riding the high of everything that had just happened or maybe the arrival of more allies had put him at ease. Whatever the case, he was sliding back into his old habits and felt... maybe not 'good,' but definitely 'better.' It was the euphoric, zen-like, 'I got this' state of mind which often appeared before the dumber things he had done in the past.

Fortunately, the group already seemed to have achieved a consensus: they were going to leave. A few minutes longer and Falco might've said something really stupid, like, 'let's go deeper in!' Thea volunteered Hyss to lead them, while she covered their retreat from the rear. Unwilling to let her do so alone, Falco remained near the back of the party as well, prepared to do 'hero stuff' if anything were to happen to Thea.

When he noticed Cressey trying to drag Razul by his cape, he stepped in. The Golden Boy was shuffling along awkwardly, making things difficult for her. He was probably fine, just had the wind knocked out of him. "Oi, Mr. Hero, your harem's not here to rescue you. Are you seriously gonna let a small child carry you outta your first dungeon?" Falco teased. Two birds, one stone. Niiice. He chuckled to himself as he maneuvered to support Razul from the opposite side, giving Cressey a much-needed assist. "What's the matter, no smart-ass remark, Sparkles?" Falco said, as he pried away Razul's arm --the one he'd been using to clutch his belly-- and threw it over his shoulder to support the boy.

Falco immediately became aware that Razul's arm was wet and warm. He recoiled and saw the blood on Razuls' hand as well as the wound he had been covering all of this time. "S-Stupid! I knew it! Why didn't you say something?" Falco scolded as he stared in shock at the bloodied bandages on the boy's chest. He grabbed Razul's hand and pressed it there once more, because he wasn't sure what else to do. Applying pressure to the wound was always the first step, right? "Thea, you still got those medical supplies?" Falco called out to the knight.

But why was Razul bandaged there? Did he have a previous injury? While Falco's mind raced, Razul merely stared back, clearly too dazed or in pain to argue or comment on anything going on around him. Though he was still standing, his mind had checked out. "I don't need this shit right now, man," Falco whispered. "Don't die, Raz. That ain't what heroes do, buddy."

Falco stepped back and let Thea and Cressey take over, though it was very clear Razul neeeded more than some bandages and a stiff drink. Falco had seen people get stabbed or even sliced open and live to tell the tale, but not in a damned sewer. And they were definitely in the nastiest part of said sewer. Razuls' prospects weren't looking good. Falco stood back, growing angrier with every passing moment. Angry at Razul. Angry at the damned hobo-assassin-asshole who did this to him. Angry at himself for not fighting harder and not knowing how to fix this. Angry at the Guild for sending them down here. Angry at Aureila for even thinking She could take him from them so soon. Angry at-

Falco heard footsteps approaching from the direction they had been traveling before Razul's situation halted their progress. He, and many of his companions, immediately drew their weapons and stared into the darkness, expecting the worse. But a familiar voice greeted them a moment later: "Friendlies! Hold your fire," Cephilia called from the dimly lit tunnel. Shortly afterward, a pale orb of white light, held aloft by the Caskarieth noblewoman, appeared and Cephilia rounded the bend, with Gaius by her side. While this would normally brighten Falco's visage, or at least put him at ease, he glared at her as she approached them, far too casually.

With a snap of her fingers, the orb of light disappeared and Cephilia hastened her pace, wordlessly coming to Razul's side. As she passed, Falco noticed she swiftly examined her surroundings. Her eyes moved quickly, taking in the dead mercenary and the faces of each person present. Cephilia was smart. her mind moved faster than most people he knew. Falco had little doubt she internalized the situation almost instantly, assessed the most urgent matter --Razul-- and reached her own hypothesess about what was going on, what had happened, and what needed to happen next.

"I'm not equipped to fully heal this," Cephilia said, very mater-of-factly to Thea and Cressey as she knelt before Razul, "but I can stabilize him, somewhat. Viv and I both know the spells, but my arcanizer's not set up to close a wound this deep. However, I can stop the bleeding, then it's just a matter of getting out of here before infection sets in, if it hasn't already." She placed both of her hands over the wound and whispered an incantation: "Flow of life, return. Mend flesh," Cephilia said in a gentle, melodic tone and shut her eyes for a moemnt, as a bluish glow emanated from her arcanizer, drifitng down her wrist to her fingertips and palms.

Was that one incantation or two? Falco thought as he stared on in wonder. Nothing seemed to change, at first, though within a few seconds, he noticed the blood around the wound seemed ot vanish, as did the wound itself.

"The fastest way out is further in," Cephilia explained, opening her eyes once more.

"Hey, focus," Falco warned, "are you sure you should be talking while-"

"This spell is child's play. I could do it in my sleep," Cephilia said, casting a sharp glance at him over her shoulder. "But this will take a few minutes; it's not meant for such a deep wound. I recall a break in the sewer walls somewhere on this level, which leads to Tylsen's river caverns. I suspect that's where the enemy came from and where we'll learn more about why he was down here. As I was saying, that's the fastest way back to town."

Interaction(s):
King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey)
AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul)
Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius)
Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)
Topless Topless (Sakura)
EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia)

"What's takin' him so damned long!? This waitin's fuckin' killin' me."

"Keep yer voice down, you idiot. He's probably fuckin' with 'em. You know how he is."

"Gonna be the death of him one day."

"Aye."

"Mhm."

A tense silence fell over the cavernous chamber where five haggard men were seated around a small campfire. The hard lines of their grizzled faces revealed a mixture of boredom and frustration. Beyond their fraternal ring sat a sixth man, huddled in his hooded robes, his foot tapping erratically as his hands fidgeted anxiously. Every couple of seconds, he thumbed the arcanizer on his wrist, as if seeking comfort in the glassy stones embedded in its metal casing.

One of the men suddenly stood up. A tall, lanky lad in ill-fitting, patchwork leather armor, he snatched up his halberd and turned toward the room's sole entrance. "I'ma go check on him," he said quickly. "It ain't like Lou to take this long, even if he is out there goofin' off."

"Like hell you are," another, much larger man growled as he rose and blocked his scrawny companion's path, while gripping a meancing warhammer in his two enormous hands. His tarnished plate armor glinted menacingly in the firelight. They were about the same height, but the man with the hammer was nearly three times as wide. "Sit down, Gil. If you go, your clumsy ass will trip over your own feet," Hammer said. "I'll go check on Lou."

"Both of you sit down," a third man said, hunched over the fire, aggressively chewing a piece of jerky. Shorter and stockier than the other two, he wore a pair of crossed swords on his back, and a round shield which made him look like an angry little turtle. "He's fine. He knows what he's doin,'" Turtle said. "So sit the fuck down and quit usin' our real names, ya dumbasses. What if someone hears ya?"

"If... if he's fine... there won't be no one there to hear us... right?" a softspoken fourth man said, slowly stroking a shortbow in his lap. A quiver of arrows dangled from his thigh. His bespectacled eyes were cast downward, as if deep in thought. "I-I'm not sayin' anything happened to him," Specks explained, "I just... ummm... I j-just think we should consider... ummm... consider 'other' options... like leaving, maybe?"

Hammer groaned. "For the millionth fucking time, we're not-"

"Now, hol' up," Stick said, casually leaning on his halberd. "Kid's got a point. Lou's our only contact with the client. If Lou ain't comin' back..."

"If Lou don't come back, we's fucked either way," Hammer said.

"He's comin' back, so both o' you shut yer traps," Turtle said. "We stick to the plan, boys. And that's final."

"We already deviated from the plan when we hired the mage," Specks said. "The client specifically said-"

"It'd be stupid to do what they asked and not have somebody who knows how to handle this shit. Who is this client anyway? Why are we even down here?" Stick retorted. "This whole thing is bullshit. If --when-- Lou gets back, he's got some explainin' to do."

"You lot are shittin' yer pants 'cuz some kids wandered into the tunnels?" the Turtle said, finally getting to his feet. "Aurelia's tits, I never seen grown men whine so fecking much in my life! You don't know Lou like I do. We been through hell together. Ey, Knives, tell 'em about the time we-" He looked to his left, only to realize the sixth man had disappeared. His four companions all suddenly became aware of this as well.

As if on queue, a shadowy figure appeared at the room's only entrance, dressed in black from head to toe. His clothing seemed to swallow the firelight. His steps were silent as he approached. "Talk too much," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I went see what all the fuss's about, real quiet-like, I did."

"Well?" Turtle said, gesturing for him to go on.

"He ded." A shocked silence fell over the room before he added, "He were a fool. Killin' a man's easy. Sometimes, a lil' luck's all it takes," Knives said, brandishing his knives. "They got lucky. Now he ded. And his little dogs, too."

"W-were you followed?" Specks said. "Do they know we're here?"

"Followed? Boy, I been slittin' throats since 'fore you were an itch in yer daddy's ballsack. I don't get 'followed,'" Knives said, insulted. His attention quickly shifted to the mage. "They don't know,. And one of 'em is injured. Let's get gone 'fore they come sniffin'. Lift the barrier, Wizard"

The mage shifted uneasily as all eyes fell on him. Slowly, he nodded, took a deep breath and stood, before rolled up his long, oversized sleeves, revealing his arcanizer. It was a relatively cheap, but effective four-slot model, common amongst students of the magical arts or amateurs, loaded with two topaz zauberites, one lapis, and one jade.

The cavern these men had chosen for their hideout was a large, rounded chamber, made of coarse, dark stone. The edges of the cavern were littered with rubble, as if this chamber had been formed by a cave-in or shifting rock ages ago, the remains of which had been swept aside to clear space. Amongst the boulders, barrels and crates were haphazardly strewn about, likely filled with supplies or whatever tools or materials these men were trying to hide down here. One end of the chamber had a narrow crevasse, which led to a winding passage and eventually met the sewer's lower levels, where Lou had met his end.

The opposite end of the chamber would've had a similar crevasse, leading to the outside world, beyond Tylsen's borders. But it was currently blocked by a wall of smooth stone, clearly formed by magical means. The 'Wizard' approached this wall and raised his trembling hands, like a conductor leading an orchestra. The five armed men gathered behind him, clearly eager to leave this place and abort this entire botched operation.

"E-earth, h-heed your master's call," the mage said, lightly clearing his throat as he began his incantation. His arcanizer glowed with a pale, brownish hue. "Rock and stone, part. Divide!"

For a moment, nothing seemed to happen. But, slowly, a low groaning could be heard from deep behind the wall of stone. The ground beneath their feet shuddered. The archer turned toward the other entryway and readied his bow, in case this shking alerted the adventurers who had felled Lou. Stick also turned, to watch their flank. "Can't you go faster?" he said. "If they didn't know we're here, they do now, what with all this shakin' and-"

"Shhhhush!" the mage hissed, "I-I'm trying to... focus."

The low rumble grew to a steady grinding of stone as a small orifice appeared in the walled off area in front of them. They soon began to see it was not just a 'wall' but he had plugged the entire river cavern, which extended a few dozen feet or so to the surface.

"Overkill much?" Turtle said as the orifice slowly expanded, returning the tunnel to its open state. "I told ya to seal the cave mouth, not build a dragonproof bunker, Wizard."

The mage shut his eyes and focused deeper, gritting his teeth. Sweat formed on his brow, yet the parting of the stone did not seem to go any faster... until they heard another voice echoing from the other side:

"Spirits of the earth, heed my call!" a woman's voice said, deep and powerful. "Divide!"

At her command, the tunnel immediately cleared, accompanied by what sounded like a thunderclap and tremorous aftershocks. The ground beneath their feet shuddered and groaned. The mage was thrown back by the recoil of his own spell being overpowered by this intruder. He staggered and slumped against the wall, narrowly avoiding collapsing. "That... wasn't me," he wheezed, clutching his aching head.

"We know," Turtle said, drawing his sword and shield. "Form up, men! Enemy mage!"

The armored man with the warhammer moved to the front, while Knives closed in behind Turtle. Stick kept his polearm aimed at the sewer entrance, in case Lou's murderers appeared, but kept nervously glancing at the newly-opened passage. Meanwhile, Specks, the archer slowly distanced himself from the group, moving toward the crates and rubble, while doing his best to keep his eyes on both passages.

An eerie silence fell over the room, punctuated by the slow, methodical clopping of hooves echoing from the dark passage. A horse? Turtle muttered. Who would bring a horse into... ohhhh shit. "Shut it! Shut it now!" he said, violently shaking the mage, who stared back at him with unfocused eyes and sputtered excuses.

"'Enemy?' That's an awfully uncouth thing to say of someone you don't know," Vivienne said as she came into view, emerging from the darkness. The towering centaur's body nearly filled the entire passage and she carried two shields, ensuring none could slip by her. Her eyes drank in the scene, sizing up the man with the warhammer, who was closest to her, and the archer, who already had an arrow nocked. Viv shrugged. "The young man seemed to be struggling, so I gave him a hand." She smiled warmly at them all as Turtle's face slowly went pale. Though he stood firm, the tip of his sword trembled. "Oh... I see...." Viv's friendly smile morphed into something more sinister. "So, you do know me? Good. Then you know it's in your best interest not to resist. Let's all be friends, yes."

Thea Schuerer
As the group went about their tasks Thea took note of the odd factors with Razul but thinks little of them for now as they tried keeping him as clean as possible on the way back, moving him would be a difficult procedure while keeping the wound clean, stopping a bit to tend to him, she nods, making use of her supplies, with a bit of glumness to her thoughts, she wondered if she was truly the only one among them that had brought such. Soon thereafter movement was hard in the distance, a mix of plate and of weapons, leaving Razul alone for the time being, movement from where they had come. Likely her allies then, or could it be an enemy?

Drawing her Zweihander to be sure, Thea waits as a voice she heard not so long ago calls out in peace.

Nodding her head to the rest, she leans on her sword, not wanting to put it away just yet. "We did what we could with my supplies, though I make no promises on the sanitation." Sha adds into the conversation between Falco and Cephilia. Glancing up at Gaius she adds in; "Where are your other two, taking the long way around? Well, I guess so, not like they could fit in the tunnel..."

At that she pauses and cranes her neck a bit, her jaw twitching and her mind elsewhere, from the way they were going, as she looked back at Cephilia. "If that is the case then those of us not wounded or tired should rush ahead, I am guessing Lady Vivienne is down here, and I dare not have her fight alone, skilled though she might be. We can wait for the other two to arrive or we can rush with what we have now. I cannot speak for the rest but Hyss will also need healing and Razul is in a precarious state given the filth of this area. I am not in command here however." She says, glancing at the noble eccentric and Gaius, turning her attention back to the dim sounds she would hear time to time. It seemed she was eager to press on, though with a rationale towards the why.

Interactions: Everyone here in general: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Cephilia) Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) of note

Razul.png

Scene 14: Told You
Synopsis:
Additional Cast: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco, Cephilia) King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) @AnyoneElse

9c803423466ea31173c08c539110780e.jpg
Razul staggered at the mere Cressey's tug, wincing as it pulled along at the wound like a domino effect. He wanted to snap back at the girl, but a dry sensation reached his throat and he did not want to aggravate it any further. Rather, he took to resisting her strength and doing what he could to pull ahead. At least, up until Falco came around. Razul fastened his grip over the cut, trying to avert himself from the thief boy; it was all in vain.

Falco's reaction was the exact reason he wanted out as soon as possible. Looking at him, Razul attempted his usual smile. No, really, I'm fine... His lips moved, mouthing what he wanted to say. "You're worrying too much..." Razul furrowed his brows as he was directed against a wall to lean, and inevitably sit against—though admittedly facing a wave of relief as he did so. Why weren't they listening to him? I can patch this up myself when we get out... Why weren't they going along with his words? Why... his throat felt drier by now.

Everything felt so dizzying.

... told you...

Razul let an eye droop around. Who said that?

I told you...

He winced; the source wasn't anywhere here, but he knew the speaker. Everything felt hazy; Razul almost saw his face in the murky darkness.

Left your Ma all alone... Broke her heart...

Suddenly it felt as though the cut tore into his own heart. It clenched and ached, spewing a burning sensation—almost eye-watering. He had no right to say that... Razul felt totally frozen at this point, though. Not even in wherever he was now could he fight back; even after all the talk he put up.

Should'a let her learn ya sewing... Not... you trying to do your brother's job...

His hands curled into fists—the only movement that came of Razul at the moment. His mind fell in shambles; there was a growing regret for taking this path in life; a regret for leaving home in the first place; but also a voice hurling those regrets astray, putting spite at the forefront of it all.

Then a warm touch over his chest. It eased the burning sensation that poured from his heart earlier; his thoughts seemed to assort themselves, too.

Razul's eyes fluttered open. The moment he could lift his gaze again, he met Cephilia's eyes in utter silence. A silence that did not last long. There was an echoing thwap as Cephilia's hands flew away from the Golden Boy. Then rough rustling as he desperately scrambled to his feet, trying not to step on his sullied cape. Razul's hand still remained in front him after swatting his savior away, and his gaze was anything but grateful—horrified, in fact. The other hand went over the cut; it was sealed, devoid of the soaking blood from earlier. Even then, his expression only deepened with terror, as the cut in his clothes indeed opened up, and the bandages around his chest remained in slight view.

His other hand went back over the cut. Still pale and off-balance, Razul had quickly assimilated the situation—how there was no guarantee that it was a known fact, seeing as the bandages hadn't been loosened, nor did it seem the wound healed without use of magic—and he promptly morphed. "Ah... I told you I could patch myself up outside of the sewers..." he said with a twitching smirk. Even the dullest of people could tell how much he was forcing the persona at this point. It was... sad, really, and he knew it. But he'd be damned if he sunk any lower—he wasn't pathetic, even if his father's looming voice told him otherwise. "You didn't need to trouble the lady for my sake..." Razul wobbled a moment, opting to sit back down at more of a distance away from Cephilia as he perked his head up. "So what is the plan now...?"

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Currently: waiting
Thinking: "Why 'lady'?"

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse

"It is?" Hyss wondered aloud, after Falco mentioned how assassins dressed, glancing downwards, to inspect her own garb. Should she be dressed as a hobo? What he said next caused her to raise her head.

"Friends?" she repeated softly, with a cock of her head. Her eyes scanned the others. They were friends? Did they know each other before coming together here? It wasn't like Hyss didn't understand the concept of 'friends', but she didn't have any. Nor did she think in this line of work people were 'friends'. In her mind they were allies. Or maybe 'coworkers'. Or co-conspirators. But 'friends'? Seemed like a strange way of representing them.

Hearing more comments about the threat of death had Hyss frown and dip her head. She didn't really know any of these people, and she was well aware that any one of them could die at any moment in this line of work. She had told herself that coming in. To measure your expectations, girl. But still, for whatever reason, she felt extremely solemn hearing one of them might die. It was the flamboyant kid. Honestly, he hadn't bugged her as much as some of the others had been bothered by him. Still, she didn't think he was likely cut out for this sort of work, but had held her tongue. And this was the reason. But she hadn't wanted to see any harm come to him.

The snake perked up once more, sensing people coming down the path. Her ears pricked at their voice. It was the woman from before! It was Madam Valdergeuse, one of the leaders who had sent them on this mission! Hyss had previously been so proud to pledge herself to this mission and the woman. But had since had thoughts on the matter. She wondered why they had been sent down here without being properly outfitted with the Arcanizers that Madam Valdergeuse had put so much time and effort into making. Why it was better to be unprepared for a mission; she had wondered why they were sent down here with less than they could've had. It made jobs harder, and it wasn't what she was expecting from Kriegslöwe when joining it. To the hooded snek, she thought that was foolish. The aftermath of that idea was on display here.

"Why isn't your Arcanizer set up for appropriate healing?" she found herself asking. Then averted her eyes. "Never mind." The girl barely whispered under her hood; she hadn't meant to ask. The question had simply slipped out. Now she was mentally kicking herself.

Guess she didn't need to lead anyone now that their leader was here. Hyss would now await further instructions. Meanwhile, she overheard some of the others and kept hearing a word thrown around. 'Lady'. Falco had said it, Thea had, and so had Razul. The snake's features contorted with confusion. What was this whole 'lady' business?

Cressey
Current Location:

"There's no need to tell me things that I already know. I'm merely offering some thoughts," Cressey replied, matter-of-factly, to the pale beastkin.
"...And while I'm sure Falco is thrilled to take advantage of your concern, I believe we're all capable of carrying on with the mission."
Giving a congenial tug on the satin cape clutched in her fist, she turns to the prince held captive in her grip, and assuredly asks, "Aren't we, Razul?"
However, much to her shock, the boy offered nothing in response; no grandiose soliloquies, no braggadocios swaggering, he didn't even strike so much as a ✨pose,✨ only some meek attempts to worm away from her grasp.
In the short time they had known each other, Cressey had quickly grown weary of Razul's eccentricities, and yet, this sudden absence left her feeling unnerved.
Falco, however, seemed rather unfazed by Razul's sudden taciturn behavior, and mercifully, he was still his usual self, casually jaunting over, with a cutting remark that he surely thought had wit, before lending the staggering prince his shoulder to lean on. Cressey quickly joined him, relinquishing her hold on the prince's cloak to support Razul's opposite side.
"This 'small child' is the reason you didn't get your mop-haired head shorn from your shoulders," Cressey indignantly retorted, scrunching her nose in an attempt to hide the subtle grin she wore in response to Falco's poor attempt at humor.
She looked to Razul for some form of follow-up to their routine verbal quibbling, however, once again, he remained silent, mumbling something too faint for her to hear
Backing down from an attack on his noble, fanciful honor?
Now she was getting really worried, and the deathly pale complexation writ upon his face, and the clammy feel of his skin wasn't helping matters.
Her fears were all confirmed when she saw the blooming stain that had painted half of his white shirt a dark, crimson red.

"Razul!" she cried out in shock, wasting not a single moment in helping Falco lay him down, propping him up against a nearby wall.
She moved out of the way once Thea rushed over to inspect the wound, lending what little aid she could by taking a firm grasp of his hand, a small, lifeline of comfort for him to hold onto.
She knew he'd been injured, she'd seen the cut across his chest be made with her very eyes, but his earlier, gallant façade fooled her into thinking he was alright, or perhaps, she allowed herself to be fooled, for fear of what could come otherwise.
"Dammit!" she angrily cursed aloud, swallowing back the tears that threatened to well over her eyes, a wave of guilt washing over her as she saw how truly dire her friend's situation had become, all because she was too powerless to stop it.
She watched, helplessly, as pain twisted his features, his hand clenching tightly around hers as he struggled to keep himself from succumbing.
"This is all my fault! If--If I had just killed him with the first blow, then--!"
She had little time to ruminate any further; distant voices, the jingling sound of arms brushing against armor. Someone else was coming down the tunnel, and they were prepared for battle.
She moved reactively, planting herself between the fallen prince and the knight tending to his wounds, and the tunnel entrance, her lance pointed ahead, prepared to strike down whatever walked out from the darkness.
"Friendlies! Hold your fire!" a familiar voice rang out, stern and commanding, followed by a bizarre orb of white light, and finally, the familiar visage of Cephilia, with Gaius and the third squadron in tow.
The tension sank from Cressey's shoulders immediately, lowering her spear with a stifled sigh of relief at the welcome sight of more semi-familiar faces.

The Caskarieth wasted no time in handling matters, the floating orb of light that followed her movements winking out of existence as suddenly as it had appeared as she made a beeline for the fallen prince.
Cressey noticed, with a slightly raised brow, the small exchange of glares shared between the two. The notion of questioning Falco on their relationship briefly crossed her mind, but was summarily dismissed; it was only fair, that she not dig into their history, when she wouldn't dare let either of them dig into hers.
Far more intriguing, however, was the gauntlet Cephilia drew, clad in some rather gaudy-looking stones, she pressed it lightly upon the boy's body, but not before making it disappointingly clear that whatever this so-called 'arcanizer' was capable of, it wouldn't be enough to fully heal Razul's wounds.
The woman muttered some strange incantation, almost like some form of prayer, and as if responding to her, a dim light began to resonate from her hand, washing over the boy's body.
In rapt wonder, Cressey watched as the light seemed to wipe away the boy's spilled blood, and seal his split flesh shut.
"Witchcraft..." she breathed, staring in awe as the wound on Razul's side vanished almost completely, with naught but a flick of the woman's wrist.
Once the light faded, all that was left was the boy's chest, a film of bandages covering his...his...
Wait...
No...
That can't be...

Cressey's mind tried to parse what she saw, it was faint, it was dark, but she swore that the boy before her had the ever-so-slightest hints of--
*THWAP*

The dull thud of Cephilia's healing hand being abruptly slapped away echoed throughout the tunnel, and the flickering of Razul's bright, panicked eyes pulled her away from whatever those...delusions she must have been having were.
Razul seemed just as shocked by the unnatural display as she had been, scrambling away from the Caskarieth as if she were a giant cockroach, before trying to regain some of his princely composure.
It was clear, from his unsteady gait, to his struggle to remain standing, that he was still putting on an act, trying to conceal the extent of his injuries.
But still, he was speaking again, still a fool, but still alive, and for that, Cressey was oddly grateful.

"It wouldn't do for us to move forward without our clown prince," she answered, letting out a light sigh in relief, wiping a small tear from her eye.
Before she could get too caught up in her emotions, however, a deep, growling tremor rumbled throughout the tunnel, shaking loose, errant dust off of the walls and reverberating through each and every one of her bones.
"Well..." she began, turning towards the tunnel depths, where another tremor soon emanated, somewhere deep within the bowels of the sewer.
"I move that our first order of business should be to recover and regroup, then we'll investigate whatever that noise is."
Interacting:
@ Everyone in the sewer

Last edited:

Sakuranbo Suzui
"Falco, I'm alright." Sakura felt Falco inching closer with the intent of comforting her. "He's dead, that is all that matters." She assured, though her blank expression would say otherwise. Eventually, the other parties have arrived and noticed what happened. Cephilia had went to heal the critically injured Razul and then goes on to explain how to get out of the sewers before Sakura's ears twitched when they picked up some sort of sound. Lady Vivienne is right out there all alone and some voices spoke up about heading there.

"Falco..." Sakura called before she walked over to the hitman's corpse, gesturing him to come close. She got down on one knee and started removing whatever it is the assassin had on him. "Take whatever it is useful. This bloke won't need them anyway. Also, would you mind helping me remove his armor?" She spoke to him as if she has something up on her mind.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse and everyone else

geega-indie-virtual-youtuber-drawn-by-wakahiko-sample-46057d5b0fbfa89fed4b445f2bc8faa8pp.jpg

Lucia Corinna Edelgarde

Glancing at the corpse once again with some disdain while the party prattled about new information. As she predicted, there were likely more down here, somewhere. They would either take this opportunity to seek vengeance or retreat. Lucia would enjoy pressing the attack, but given the group's injuries...

"Mm?" Humming, her one-eyed gaze upturned to look at Falco with a bemused huff. "Verily, you must be relatively unscathed," She said, affirming what Thea had said.

However, afterwards it was revealed that Razul was harmed to a greater extent than they believed. Heading deeper was further out of the question now. Wounded in a fight were more than dead weight. They would have to actively protect them as weakpoints. "Regardless, we only fought hounds. We are less fatigued and uninjured. Thus we will position at the rear of the group for our return."

Or so that was the plan. At least, until their initiator arrived with the final pod in tow. Lucia held her frown from turning into a full-blown scowl. So, now she wanted to venture forth? How fitting for them to be sent on a pest control quest, but when they're ambushed and injured, that is when they are "real Kriegslowen" and should delve deeper.

"The quickest exit is the one further in. Is that inclusive of impending combat, I wonder?" Lucia somewhat haughtily remarked with folded arms. "I would have been more than eager to assault hitmen and assassins over rats, but now we have wounded to cover for, not to mention with such close quarters, numbers are rather meaning--"

And then came the tremors. Pausing to observe the vibrating walls, Lucia wondered if it were explosives or something else. If these tunnels collapsed, it would be even worse for them all. Though, the other Caskarieth seemed rather sure of herself, and if Vivienne was truly down further as Thea surmised, it gave Lucia pause to wonder what gave cause to their sudden appearance.

Interactions: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Everyone Everyone around pretty much.

Gaius Karlings Kampfer
With: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Thea, EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Lucia, Topless Topless Sakura, King Crimson King Crimson Cressey, Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko Hyss, AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Razul, AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Falco
GM Interaction: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse , Reinhardt Reinhardt .

The group moved down the dark tunnel keeping their eyes open for signs of Thea's team. It didn't take long for them to reach a somewhat larger room that housed a rather morbid display of corpses, of the canine kind, arranged in an arrow pointing down a rather tight drainage pipe. "Well that's a sight" Gaius said as he bent down examining the wounds on the hounds, "Definitely our friends handiwork."

"Okay, here's the deal," Cephilia spoke up, "I admit, I don't know these tunnels as well as I used to, but if I were a ruffian trying to do nefarious things in a sewer, I would choose the least 'sewer-y' part of the sewer. That would be the natural tunnels, at the lowest level. My best guess is, these dogs came up from there --possibly after encountering Falco's party-- and Lady Schuerer chose to follow them to the source, to verify the status of her allies and, if necessary, rescue them. You know, typical knight stuff. This leaves us in a bit of a quandary, as that is likely where the dogs' master --or masters-- lie in wait. I suspect this whole debacle was an attempt at forcing a retreat, to prevent discovery of their base, Unfortunately, for them, I sent Viv around to check out a cave where Tylsen's subterranean river dives underground. If all goes according to plan, she has entered the system from its outlet and is pressing inward, toward our location... and, perhaps, right into the enemy's lair. I wasn't sure if I would find you all, so I figured two veteran adventurers, traveling in opposing directions would better my odds. But now it has the added advantage of boxing them in, if they are holed up where I think they are."

At this point Gaius figured where Cephilia was going with all this and had already lowered himself part of the way into the tunnel he listened long enough to allow both of his companions to agree to the Kreigslowen's plan before he spoke up "I think with Falco being down here we would've gone after the hound's owner whether you were here or not. I'm prepared, bandits and smugglers aren't all that bad for those with good training and experience. That said I do worry for half of the others and think we should take any opportunity to expedite our attempt to regroup with them." With his piece done Gaius hunched over and began his crawl through the tunnel.

Eventually the tunnel opened up high enough for Gaius and Cephilia to stand and the two changed positions, Cephilia took point with her orb of light illuminating the way. Gaius took up a staggered position to her right side with his weapon drawn and held at a low ready. The two walked for a short time in silence. Not an awkward kind of silence though more of a professional silence, as the two kept their ears open and focused listening for voices or the tell tale sounds of combat. The sound of a somewhat panicked voice, one Gaius identified as Falco, came from ahead of the duo and they picked up their pace.

Coming around a turn Gaius and Cephilia were met with the beaten faces of Falco and his team. Cephilia immediately went to work identifying a grievous wound to Razul's torso and calling up a healing spell to remedy it. Choosing to leave things to her Gaius pushed past taking in a growing bruise on Falco's face and the small scrapes and scratches on Cressey, and as he expected Sakura appeared to be okay physically at a glance. Letting a sigh go through his nose Gaius made his way to the rearguard with Thea and her crew.

"Where are your other two, taking the long way around? Well, I guess so, not like they could fit in the tunnel... If that is the case then those of us not wounded or tired should rush ahead, I am guessing Lady Vivienne is down here, and I dare not have her fight alone, skilled though she might be. We can wait for the other two to arrive or we can rush with what we have now."

Gaius didn't even wait for Thea to finish "Risax and Thal are either going to run into the intruders directly on their own or they'll end up where ever this tunnel ends, we gave them a head start so they might already be in danger." Gaius paused and looked around the rest of the group until his eyes stopped on Sakura "The rest of you should stay and wait for Cephilia's spell to finish, Thea, Sakura and I should head back the way you all came and regroup with the rest of my team, if they aren't there then Thea and I can move to support Vivienne while Sakura waits for the rest of you" Gaius turned his gaze from the looting Foxfolk to Cephilia awaiting her answer, not that he was going to listen if she said no anyway.

Thalgrukh
Interacting with: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)
Mentions:

The sewers seemed endless as he and Risax marched through, guided by the leashed dog. Surprisingly, the dog had been more than happy to rush towards its own home base with little regard for them. Whenever it tried to lunge for another smaller tunnel it could take, Thal shoved it back with his shield and let it continue down. There was nothing of note in the sewers and he had half a mind to continue plugging up rat holes, though speed was imperative in the current situation. He wasn't exactly sure how safe it would be to amble around with just the two of them when they weren't sure if there were any other hostiles.

"Ever thought of being smaller would give you some advantage in life, Risax?" He called out to the spider with a light laugh. "I don't mind having to walk around but..." He trailed off before shrugging. He blocked the mutt from escaping again, shoving it back into place. Knowing that Cephilia and Gaius were likely with the others did put him at ease. If they were in any sort of trouble, surely, she would have been able to rectify it even with her unprepared Arcanizer.

"In any case, this little quest went into a completely different direction than I expcted. Guess this is what they meant by always being prepared for any eventuality." The mutt continued to run, pulling against the string leash. It was impressive how it hadn't snapped from how much the mutt was pulling against it, hoping to break free and run back to its master. It whimpered and thrashed and forced them to go faster as it began increasing its speed. It seemed... more agitated than before. Were they getting closer?

"If that is the case then those of us not wounded or tired should rush ahead," the Schuerer girl remarked when Cephilia informed them the healing would take some time. "I am guessing Lady Vivienne is down here, and I dare not have her fight alone, skilled though she might be. We can wait for the other two to arrive or we can rush with what we have now. I cannot speak for the rest but Hyss will also need healing and Razul is in a precarious state given the filth of this area. I am not in command here however."

"Risax and Thal are either going to run into the intruders directly on their own or they'll end up where ever this tunnel ends, we gave them a head start so they might already be in danger." Gaius paused and looked around the rest of the group until his eyes stopped on Sakura "The rest of you should stay and wait for Cephilia's spell to finish, Thea, Sakura and I should head back the way you all came and regroup with the rest of my team, if they aren't there then Thea and I can move to support Vivienne while Sakura waits for the rest of you."

"Given the unpredictability of the situation, I don't think dividing our numbers is wise," Cephilia said, "nor is there a pressing need to-"

She was cut short by Razul's sudden rejection of her efforts. There was the briefest flicker of outrage on Cephilia's face when the target of her healing swatted her hand away. Her eyes narrowed on the... 'boy'... as he clumsily vomited forth excuses, lies which even the blindest of fools could clearly see through. The insult was written on her features. How dare he, this lowly commoner, spurn her, a highborn noble lady!? He had not only denied her charity, but already insulted her intelligence with this imbecillic attempt at crossdressing. This dreg should be on its knees, thanking her for even venturing into such squalor to see him to safety.

But, as quickly as it had come, that look upon her face was gone, replaced by indifference. Although she would rather smile, be a model ambassador to these newbies, and pretend to be 'one of them,' apathy was the best she could muster on such short notice. Her gloved hand impotently hung in midair as the arcanizer's glow faded, frozen where it had been rejected, fingers still outstretched. Slowly, it bawled into a fist, shuddered... and then relaxed. Cephilia muttered a soft, "hmph, so be it. Death is a choice, I suppose."

The tension drained from her body and she stood to her full height, gazing at him with her hands resting on her hips, radiating mild disappointment. A lecture was brewing. Fortunately, for him, the hooded girl addressed her first:

"Why isn't your Arcanizer set up for appropriate healing?" she asked before averting her eyes. "Never mind."

With a small sigh, Cephilia turned to the beastkin first. "Because one does not wear work boots to church, young lady," she said. "A seven-slot arcanizer is a complex device, requiring regular maintenance and tuning. This simpler, three-slot model, on the other hand... is much prettier and matches my dress. When --if-- you reach my level, you will understand the importance of such things," she explained with a teasing smile. However, her baleful gaze slid to Razul shortly after and the smile vanished: "Unfortunately, fully healing this buffoon requires two lapis zauberites, which is not something I am currently equipped with. Nevertheless, the wound is closed. Infection is, momentarily, held at bay."

"The quickest exit is the one further in. Is that inclusive of impending combat, I wonder?" the eyepatched elf remarked haughtily, garnering Cephilia's attention. "I would have been more than eager to assault hitmen and assassins over rats, but now we have wounded to cover for, not to mention with such close quarters, numbers are rather meaning--"

Her words were interrupted by a low, shuddering rumble. That's no earthquake, Cephilia thought as she unsheathed her rapier. Earth magic --the willful shifting of rock and stone-- had a distinct 'feel' to it. It was steady, relentless, and lacking in the oscillating frequency of a natural earthquake.

"I move that our first order of business should be to recover and regroup, then we'll investigate whatever that noise is," the diminutive spear-wielder added.

"Agreed," Cephilia said, before addressing Schuerer, Edelgarde, and Kampfer. "I like your sense of urgency, but we should not divide our numbers, nor underestimate our allies. We only have one wounded member, by my estimation, and even he is still capable of contributing, if his body is up to it," she said calmly, despite every brief moment of silence being filled with the faint, barely-preceptible, sounds of clashing weapons somewhere beyond these stone walls.

"Our code dictates we protect the people and the land. There is no implicit obligation to protect one another," she went on to say, as she began to briskly walk deeper into the sewer network, and beckoned anyone willing to follow. "In this line of work, you will encounter foolhardy 'allies' who wish to throw their lives away, in search of glory. Let them, if you must. Pain is the best teacher. Some will grow wiser from the experience. Others..." she shrugged, "will be thanked for their service and dearly missed."

Cephilia stopped at a breach in the sewer walls, a jagged crack, barely visible until they were already upon it. It led into to a craggy passage, with walls that seemed to be formed by the shearing of the rock itself. Dim, flickering firelight could be seen at the end of this passage, very different from the steady pulse of the sewer's manatech lanterns. And, more importantly, the sounds of clashing weapons was very prominent now. Ratling swords. Shuffling feet. The loud, gong-like sound of a warhammer striking an iron shield. The hearty thwack of fists striking flesh. And the fwump of a body striking the walls.

"It goes without saying, Viv would disagree with my interpretation of the Code," Cephilia remarked happily, as if these sounds were like music to her ears. "But that is the beauty of being an adventurer, instead of a soldier or knight or mercenary. Even under the umbrella of a guild, we fight for our own ideals. Anyway, who wants to go in first? I'll cover you."

Interaction(s): RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) / AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey)
Mentions: lots of ppl

Falco's brow rose slightly when Sakura called to him while standing over the slain mercenary. Did she find something worth noting, a clue about who this guy was or who he worked for? As she lowered herself to one knee, a small corner of his brain wondered if Sakura was one of those bloodhounds, who could sniff out clues no human senses could detect. Maybe she knew what he had for breakfast, where he had come from, and more, just from a sniff.

And then he realized that's stupid. She's not an animal, you idiot. She's a person, just like you. Don't be ridiculous, Falco thought as he stood by her. "Yeah, what's up?" he asked, just happy someone thought he might be of assistance in any way.

"Take whatever it is useful," she said. "This bloke won't need them anyway. Also, would you mind helping me remove his armor?"

"I... oh... right," Falco said, and seemed to visibly deflate. Right, right, ask the city boy to help you steal stuff. I get it, he thought. Then again, was it really 'stealing?' He definitely agreed with the gist of what she was saying. In fact, the thought had crossed his mind the moment the man tossed away his filthy cloak: damn, I like them daggers. Them boots ain't half bad, either. Too big for me, tho.

But, now that the guy was dead --like, dead dead, not just kind of dead-- it didn't feel the same. He looked to Thea, but she was speaking to Gaius and Cephilia. His de facto moral compass was busy, as was the one person he could ask about Kriegslowe's policies on the matter. Did the guild condone this behavior? Did that matter right now? Thius entire mission was being conducted under-the-table. Cephilia had just pulled it outta her ass at the last minute, so who cared about rules and policies?

I earned this loot. This asshole hit me! And look what he did to Raz! Falco thought It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. No one's gonna notice anyway.

So, why wasn't he doing it?

"Maybe we should come back later, or something," Falco said, hesitantly. "If this guy has friends, I don't want 'em to catch us usin' his shit. It'll make us a target." That lie came out easier than expected. It emboldened him and his next words were spoken with more surety: "First, the mission. Then, the payment. We'll have time to-"

Like the others, their discussion was cut short by the rumbling, somewhere deeper within the tunnel network. Falco's instinctive response was to drop down and cover his head, fearing a cave-in, which was a very real threat down here. Viv had mentioned something about natural caverns and breaches in the sewer system, caused by cave-ins eons ago. However, Cephilia's response suggested she knew what this was and was eager to head toward it, not away. After a brief lecture about choosing their own paths, even unto death, the S-Rank adventurer drew her rapier and departed, leading anyone willing to follow.

Falco, however, remained.

"Fuck it." The moment most of the others were gone, he began shamelessly plucking the throwing knives from the merc's bandolier and stuffing them up his sleeves or into his belt. He also dumped some of his own knives, a few of which were little more than silverware and cutlery. "Help me flip him over," he said to Sakura, speaking quickly. "This is good scale. You want the armor or can I have it?"

Interaction(s): Topless Topless (Sakura)
Mentions: lots of ppl

Last edited:
Thea Schuerer
Watching as events unfold, Thea noticed the other bandages around Razul given there sudden reaction and rejection to being healed, what in the Goddess's name was wrong with them? And what was with those bandages, squinting a bit she recalled something distant as her mind was quickly replaced with something else, at first concern, then disbelief, followed up with the most primordial of emotions as she thought of it, rage. In an instant Razul was out of her mind, replaced with Cephilia.

"Why would we need to worry about our...." Looking at Razul and Hyss, she then turns her attention to the dead man. "...wounded." Then she remembered how the man seemed to have fought, his cover story and the dogs. They lacked honor and were skilled, they very well could and would circle back if given the chance to pray on the wounded? An act she would not stoop to doing, but still, the point stood. "I understand the caution."

It was the words later on that got her into anger, in a few words she had a very hostile and hard look about her face, as if a terrible blow had been landed across her face on the fly. And in a way it had been. The suggestions she had for the code, of being unprepared because of fashion, of how she grossly underestimated what could be below and more importantly her view of the code and of the value of allies that died being so casually dismissed and forgotten had knowingly or not struck a massive blow. Even as they walked along her eyes would have cut through the wall with how hard they were staring.

Your Father died for this.. Not only did your laxity contribute to the Goddess taking his life... But for what? For a corrupt eccentric that sent you on a job without any idea of why, that doesn't even remember him and would dismiss him as a fool? Why did he die and doing what? To have a life so cast away.. Tragic.

Her inner thoughts called out and she found her arms aching to lift her blade, but she was too well trained to dare do that, and there was part of her final words that shook the knight's face clear. "It is good to know others see the code differently, I can assure you my own view does not match your own... But now is not the time nor place to speak of it. Though I will admit you know more of this than I, in regard to the order of battle. To injure the wounded, or worse had not occurred to me."

Following the adventurer, Thea had no respect for the woman as a person, that was well and truly shot, but she would follow her commands as the senior adventurer. Glancing back she seen the Fox and Falco picking over the corpse of the man, causing her to spit to the side with a sour look to her face, grave robbery, epically among knights who handed down equipment of sorts and even turned in the gear of those they killed on the field for the same reason, looked very poorly upon grave robbery, more so with her religious convictions, but now was neither time nor place. She would speak on it later, but it was clear more than a few in this group had about as much honor as a highwayman and were likely as trustworthy. Chiding herself for doubting her comrades, she would have to give more thought towards this, soon after they had reached a natural cave formation and the sound of battle could be heard, as Thea speaks quickly in response to the question, with a comment of her own.

"Why send one? The Lancer could charge in with me if she is willing, she is small and has reach, I am tall, armored and also with reach, I will be able to swing into the enemy ranks without fear of cutting her head off... Though it is clear I need to obtain a shortsword when this is all said and done as a sidearm. That is if she is willing, if she is not, I still should go first."

Looking at the pint-sized spearman, Thea had her sword at the ready and nods.

Interactions: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse King Crimson King Crimson others that came with

Gaius Karlings Kampfer
With: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Thea, EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Lucia, Topless Topless Sakura, King Crimson King Crimson Cressey, Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko Hyss, AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Razul, AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Falco
GM Interaction: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse , Reinhardt Reinhardt .

Cephilia's rejection was half expected and Gaius had already thought out his response but before he could open his mouth the ground, walls and ceiling began to shake. This brought Gaius to a pause as the Edelgarde girl spoke her piece about wanting to move on; again Gaius wanted to add his two cents however Thea beat him to it this time. "Why would we need to worry about our...." She paused looking awkwardly between Hyss and Razul then briefly to the corpse "...wounded." Again a breif pause broke up the lady knight's speech as she seemed to think about what she was going to say next. "I understand the caution."

It seemed to Gaius that Thea's thought process was at least on the same path as his. Gaius had wanted to poke a hole in the thought of leaving then wounded as that was not his plan. He wanted to leave Cephilia the strongest of them all along with at least three members who seemed to handle themselves to heal the wounded then for them to catch up. With that formation even if the intruders circled around behind Gaius's team, Cephilia's group could still dispatch them; even better it would help prevent a flank from doing to much damage if the intruders attacked Gaius's group from behind.

Another tremor broke the conversation and a silence fell over the group. Cephilia did as the Fool she was healing requested and stopped. She took up her weapon and began moving while giving her interpretation of the Guild's code as well as some foresight into her mind. "In this line of work, you will encounter foolhardy 'allies' who wish to throw their lives away, in search of glory. Let them, if you must. Pain is the best teacher. Some will grow wiser from the experience. Others..." she shrugged, "will be thanked for their service and dearly missed."

Cephilia's attitude was a familiar one as was her view point had Gaius heard this verbal vomit ten years ago he wouldn't have found any issue with it. However being on the road for so long has taught Gaius a few things about the world beyond noble courts. One of those things is that those who travel or fight alongside you are worth fighting for. Gaius may not know any of the party too well but he'd be damned if he was just going to leave any of them to their fate. Although he'd never admit this to anyone, he'd rather everyone else see him as the Cynical, rational man he was.

Despite saying the group shouldn't split up Gaius couldn't help but notice as Cephilia lead the party toward the sounds of combat a few of their number fell off as Falco and Sakura stayed behind. "It goes without saying, Viv would disagree with my interpretation of the Code," Cephilia remarked happily, as if these sounds were like music to her ears. "But that is the beauty of being an adventurer, instead of a soldier or knight or mercenary. Even under the umbrella of a guild, we fight for our own ideals. Anyway, who wants to go in first? I'll cover you."

Thea answered quickly before anyone else could volunteer "Why send one? The Lancer could charge in with me if she is willing, she is small and has reach, I am tall, armored and also with reach, I will be able to swing into the enemy ranks without fear of cutting her head off... Though it is clear I need to obtain a shortsword when this is all said and done as a sidearm. That is if she is willing, if she is not, I still should go first."

Gaius filled in next "I'll follow in behind you two then" Gaius moved to Thea's right flank and readied himself for a charge "I'll move in and take up the right flank outside your reach" With a pause Gaius looked behind him to the rest of the party "Anyone willing join me?"

Risax
interaction: AI10100 AI10100 AnonyMouse AnonyMouse
Risax was starting to feel like this dog was leading them on a wild goose chase as the sewer tunnels, confused to twist and turn frankly the spider had lost track of where they’d ended up. But none the less the leashed dog continued to pull forward surging into wherever its home was located or perhaps into a trap? The awkward silence was eventually broken by Thal. “I mean iv considered it. always wondered what it would be like to only have 2 legs and being shorter must be nice not to get your butt stuck everywhere“ Risax chuckled a little bit. Thal needing to block the dog from escaping again.

“But yeah this really did get out of hand hey from rat-catching to.. whatever this is I just hope we get a little bonus for all of this I mean I'd think this would be pay bonus worthy“ Risax would say with a small chuckle trying to lighten the mood somewhat. However, the dog thrashed and gnashed pulling Risax forward. “Woah it must be smelling something“ Risax would shout out surprised. however, the dog stopped pulling them forward instead it scratched and dug at a loose patch of dirt at the base of one of the sewer walls. “Hmm that’s weird Thal… maybe there’s something behind that wall?” Risax asked getting up closer to it the spider noticed the looseness of the stone the dog's huge bulk managing to shift them considerably pushing at a loose wall the whole damn thing came crashing down as the dog tried to bolt through but was held back but the silken rope. “Um oh crap” Risax would eep out with a wide-eyed stare seeing that rather heavily armed group of bandits and miss Vivienne blocking a passage for the Bandit's escape. “Um Um SURPRISE SPIDER“ Risax made a rather crappy one-liner moving out of the way to let Thal through as the cavern was large enough that the hand ballista he carried would actually be useful pulling it from the saddlebag to actually load the thing.

Sakuranbo Suzui
Sakura could tell from his face that he is unsure of about looting the dead man's belongings. She seemed to be not bothered by the idea of it. In her mind, anything is useful once she got her prey. Fur, horns, meat and everything else that an animal has will be very useful and it would be a waste to just leave it, with the exception of some that really do have no use. This included humans, so long as they "deserved" it and the hitman fits the bill.

Falco spoke, suggesting to do the looting for later as he worries that his allies might caught them using the hitman's equipment and make them they're primary target. "It won't matter." Sakura said "With this equipment or not, we will eventually face them. And think about it, with these blades and armor, they might as well save your life if you use them well. You may call it kind of pragmatic, but for me, it is very smart and assuring." As soon as pretty much most of the party has left, Falco requested to help him flip over, which she immediately did. When asked about the armor, Sakura said "You take it. I'm a hunter and wearing such weighted scales might hamper my agility."

Once the armor is now off, Sakura pulled out a knife. "Falco, forgive me, but please turn around." She told him, and once he did, she struck the knife on the chest of the corpse and made a rough incision. She dug her hand deep into the opening until she grabbed something hard and big and pulled it out; it is his heart, and like a predator who caught it's prey, she consumed it. Was Sakura very hungry during the whole ordeal? Falco could feel very uncomfortable with what he is hearing behind him. With the heart consumed and the blood left on her hand, Sakura applied some facial marks, two lines under her eyes and a plus on her forehead.

"Let us go." She said and then she made her move.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse and everyone else

geega-indie-virtual-youtuber-drawn-by-wakahiko-sample-46057d5b0fbfa89fed4b445f2bc8faa8pp.jpg

Lucia Corinna Edelgarde

Lucia's gaze grew cold as the elder Caskarieth spoke. So that was how it was. The younger noble didn't dub herself a hero or an altruist, but abandoning someone who was next to her, simply disregarding them and their weaknesses--It didn't sit right with her. It reminded her so much of her parents. It was only natural. They were weak, or foolish, or unlucky. Such apathy. She wondered, was that the case of her uncle? It was his own fault, naturally. Of course it was.

If he was even worth a memory to her or anyone else in the blasted guild.

Lucia's teeth grit as the others moved to follow Cephilia. Her jaw locked, preventing any speech or response in turn. She would not lose her composure. She was not so weak.

She inhaled, a new breath to steady herself before moving forward. The grave robbery next to her was of little consequence. Dishonorable, sure, but Lucia was family to politicians. Releasing the air in a huff, Lucia glanced at the couple wounded before turning back to the two looters.

"I don't much care if you strip the buzzard bare. However, could you please do so with more haste? We shouldn't remain-" However, there it was. The beastkin was--eating. That, that wasn't. What?! "W-W-What in the Goddess' name ARE you DOING?!"

Recoiling with visible disgust, Lucia's composure was entirely lost. Morale, shattered. First this disgusting sewer, then she gets drenched in it, and now she's witness to cannibalism. What an absolutely horrid day, perhaps the worst.

"Are you finished desecrating a corpse so that we may continue on and forever leave this revolting place!?" Lucia demanded, shouting the last bit of the sentence. Though, it was obviously rhetorical. She shot a narrowed eye at Falco, as if warning him that he was either to come along or be left. Then she moved over to the somewhat healed Razul, urging him forward with both words laced in disgust as well as physical prodding. "Come now. I have had my fill. Follow their path and I will bring the rear. Go."

Interactions: Topless Topless AnonyMouse AnonyMouse AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa
Mentions: The above mostly

Last edited:

"It is good to know others see the code differently," Lady Schuerer commented. "I can assure you my own view does not match your own... But now is not the time nor place to speak of it. Though I will admit you know more of this than I, in regard to the order of battle. To injure the wounded, or worse had not occurred to me."

"A great many things have not," Cephilia replied, sensing the swift displeasure in the girl's tone and features. "They will, in time. Until then, there is nothing to speak of, though my ears --and mind-- remain open. Unlike some, I delight in being proven wrong."

"Why send one? The Lancer could charge in with me if she is willing, she is small and has reach, I am tall, armored and also with reach," Thea said. "I will be able to swing into the enemy ranks without fear of cutting her head off... Though it is clear I need to obtain a shortsword when this is all said and done as a sidearm. That is if she is willing, if she is not, I still should go first."

"I'll follow in behind you two then," Gaius said as he moved to Thea's right flank and readied himself for a charge "I'll move in and take up the right flank outside your reach" With a pause Gaius looked behind him to the rest of the party "Anyone willing join me?"

"I will cover you, as I said," Cephilia replied rather dryly as she moved to Thea's opposite flank, but at a greater distance... probably too great for someone wielding a rapier. "Or did you think 'I'll cover you' meant I would cower in here and tickle them with spells while you lot storm into danger? I didn't slog through this filth to retrieve you, just to see you off again... tempting as it may be."

These last words were delivered barely above a whisper, and trailed off into more whispered utterances. It was yet another incantation. Her arcanizer faintly glowed once more, as the jade and ruby zauberites hummed. Only her final utterance --the word "surge"-- could be heard, as lightning arced between her fingertips. Cephilia focused the electrical energy into her fist, before reaching out and touching the shaft of Cressey's spear, transferring the effect and leaving none for herself.

"If you like, I may teach you this spell. It pairs well with Valgemian mythril," the Cascarieth said with a glint of mischief in her eyes, though it was hard to tell if she was pleased to see a weapon of such fine material or merely pleased to have guessed correctly. Regardless, her tone returned to one that was strictly business a millisecond later: "I think I heard plate armor. Lightning is nature's equalizer. It will fell the tree and the bear in it with equal aplomb. I don't need to tell you what to do," she said to the small girl before turning her attention to the party at large. "Schuerer, Kampfer, the mid range is yours. I will prioritize neutralizing their mages and/or bowmen."

Interaction(s): King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) / RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius)
Mentions: whoever's nearby

Falco swiftly stripped the corpse of its smaller weapons and, with Sakura's aid, removed the man's overshirt of scale as well. He had the quick hands of someone who had done this before, though he usually limited himself to plucking the coinpurse from unconscious brutes and drunkards who'd picked a fight with the wrong street rat. He slowly came to the sobering realization that this might be the first time he'd robbed a dead guy. Then again, he usually didn't stick around to see if these unfortunate souls woke up or had a pulse, so who's to say for sure...

When Sakura asked him to turn, he obliged to do so, for he was in the midst of trying on the slightly bloodied scale mail. A tad too large, but it was wearable as a jacket of sorts. Falco was fiddling with the straps, when he overheard... sounds. From the sounds of tearing flesh, he assumed she was paying one last final disrespect to their fallen adversary. She had already spat on him earlier. He should've known she still harbored some anger. With a sigh, Falco slowly turned to-

"Hey, I know you're pissed off at this guy, but we're already taking his stuff, so let's not WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUUUUUUCK!?" Falco's words trailed off when he turned to see her feasting on the man's... was that a heart? A lung? A random chunk of flesh? As the bloodied meat disappeared down her throat and she used its drippings to apply warpaint to her face, Falco gasped in horror, unable to form coherent words to describe or condemn what he was witnessing.

Lucia's voice echoed like a dull, muffled drumbeat upon his ears. Even her glare as she stormed off barely registered. Of course she left. That's what people do. They judge, they condemn, and they leave. Even as these thoughts swirled in his head, Falco's hands rested on his daggers, ever the hypocrite.

"Let us go," the fox said as she rose.

"N-no," Falco said, squaring his stance and firming his voice. "Spit it out." He placed himself between the bloody fox and the path leading to the others. "I... I don't know where you're from, or what's considered okay there, but this is not okay here. This guild slays monsters and... and th-that's a pretty fucking monstrous thing you just did, Sakura. And I ain't letting a monster get past me." His voice cracked, but he swallowed the lump in his throat and stood firm. "So, I don't care how you do it. Tickle your tonsils or gargle some sewer water or whatever, but if you care about anybody here, you're gonna fucking spit it out, right now! Y-you're not a monster, Sakura."

Interaction(s): Topless Topless (Sakura) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia)
Mentions: AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)

Last edited:
Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Currently: prepared for combat
Thinking: "How do I best make use of my skills here to help?"

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse

"Huh?" Hyss's face fell, flummoxed by the woman's strange reply. She didn't get the metaphor, nor did she understand what the purpose of it being 'pretty' was, or why that mattered at all. But her confusion was more on the cute end, rather than defiant end. Truly, simply stumped. After ordering that they move forward to regroup with Madam Viv and help her fight the allies of this killed man and those well-trained dogs, she explained the Code they lived by. The way she phrased it seemed odd to Hyss. She explained that they were meant to protect people - but not each other. Weren't each other considered 'people'? Even if that were the case, Hyss found it a foolish idea to let allies die. Allies who provided support. Especially for a shadow like herself. Regardless, she took the lesson to heart and decided to ruminate on it later. "Isn't it wise to protect your allies? So your allies can protect you? Letting them die doesn't seem to benefit you at all.. Not to mention you lose trust. Which is necessary in this line of work..?" Hyss mumbled her thoughts under her breath and under her hood, as was usual, taking a different stance on the Code idea that Cephilia had brought up. A more pragmatic one, rather than a emotional -er- "honorable" one like Thea had. Did this woman not have allies that trusted her? Perhaps so. Maybe she didn't trust anyone either, which Hyss could relate to... Living in Valgem, not here. Was it the same everywhere? Hyss didn't want to believe that -- hence why she was here and not in Valgem.

There was a rumbling in the walls. That nearly caught the hooded girl off guard, but her tail helped keep her balanced while the earthquake was happening. It didn't feel just like any earthquake. Nor did the others seem all too phased by it. Though they did suggest investigating it.

Meanwhile, a few couple decided to stay behind -maybe, albeit briefly- to loot the corpse. Unlike a few of the group, Hyss didn't see much wrong with this. It only seemed smart to make use of your enemies' weapons and devices. Certainly she would make use of whatever she could on future missions. If that meant using her fallen foes' things then she would do so without hesitation. With that being said, Hyss could understand the distaste of graverobbing, and mistreating and disrespecting the dead. But that and this didn't seem to be the same. With a curious glance over at the injured flamboyant one, the hooded snake slithered after the others. She didn't necessarily agree with Cephilia's take, but did wonder why that one rebuked healing aid.

After following the others down to where the exit was purported to be -and where the origins of the shakes came from. They came upon the scene. The centaur was squaring off against what appeared to be the remnants of that fallen man's allies. Another smallish group of warriors clad in various armors and weapons. Even a 'mage' as they called them. Her sharp blue eyes darted around the cavern, taking in each opponent. Her weapon at the ready, Hyss wondered how best to go about this. Just suddenly attacking seemed foolish. While it was true she could possibly take out one due to surprise, or at the very least injure one, she wasn't entirely sure that would be the best course of action -not if it made the rest turn right around on her. Her eyes shot over to Thea and the other more bulky of the group in front of her. Hyss would wait for their actions first, before making her own move. It was better as a shadow to allow the frontline to act first, then get lost in the commotion.​

Last edited:
Cressey
Current Location: Deep Sewers

With Razul recovered, and the rumbling emanating from the bowels of the sewer, it was time to move on, but apparently, not before an impromptu discussion of codes and honor could be had between Thea and Cephilia.
Cressey, having been born with no patience for the matter, simply bided her time, knitting her hands behind her head, and doing her best to turn a deaf ear to their impassioned speeches of rationale and romanticism.
There were men who needed justice brought before them, a centauress at their mercy, and an entire network of stone and rock crumbling around them; couldn't they wait to have this discussion some time later?
Fortunately, it would seem they agreed, and with a great deal of tension still hanging between them, both Cephilia and Thea turned towards the tunnel mouth, leading the others down, deeper into the sewer depths.
Cressey followed behind them, but not before she could collect her gaggle of idiots.
"Falco, Sakura? Are you two prepared to--?
Turning her head towards the pair, she was greeted by the sight of Falco in the process of undoing the dead mercenary's belt buckle.
In likewise fashion, Sakura appeared to be striping the man's chest bare, a ravenous hunger lurking in her eyes.
Cressey could only stare at the two of them mouth slightly agape, eyes trying to process what exactly she was seeing.
After a few moments of stunned silence, she turned her head back towards the cavern, and without another word, went on her way with an urgency in her steps, leaving the two alone to pilfer through the dead man's pockets.
...At least, that's what she hoped was what they were looking for.

Several minutes of awkward, tension-filled wandering through the sewer tunnels passed, the distant sounds of battle ever-present and growing closer with each step, accompanied by the occasional rumbling of the earth shifting, shaking loose thick plumes of sand and dust which hung thick in the stagnant air.
Her hands crossed behind her head, Cressey followed dutifully, just behind the caskarieth's rear, though her mind wandered elsewhere, back into the tunnel, back in time, to their first encounter with the lone mercenary.
She replayed the battle, over, and over, dissecting every moment, every movement, every mistake.
It still burned within her, that feeling of just narrowly escaping defeat, but at the same time, it had stirred something within her; she needed to get stronger, faster, better.
And to do that, she would need to set some goals for herself.

Eventually, the jingling of Cephilia's gilded armor came to an abrupt stop, her hand raised in a demand for their attention.
Before her, a lone doorway, a faint, wavering glow of firelight lingering within, the unmistakable sounds of combat, so close that Cressey could hear the sounds of their boots thudding against cobblestone, and occasionally, the clopping of a weighty set of hooves.
Another booming rumble rumbled through the tunnel, permeating Cressey to her core.
Here they were.

Cephilia was the first to break the silence, seeming a touch too enthused, considering the circumstances.
No doubt, she already had some sort of plan, but it was clear that she wanted to see what they would come up with.
...That, or she just wanted to them to do all of the work for her, just as they had in exterminating rats.
Either way, Cressey was eager to step up to the challenge; seeing it as the perfect opportunity to test herself in earnest.
Maybe she had sensed her building fervor, or perhaps it was just mere coincidence, but Thea was the first to give voice to a plan of attack, and she offered Cressey the honor of taking the front.
Though, the phrasing for her invitation was rather...lacking.
"Comments on my height aside..." Cressey exasperatedly sighed, shooting the knight a wry glare.
Normally, she would object to such statements, but there were far more important things for her to be concerned about, and admittedly, Thea had her soundly beat in that department, so begrudgingly, she chose to take it as some bizarre form of compliment.
"You needn't ask, I'm more than willing to lead the charge."
As she drew her lance from it's sheath, she smugly added, "Just try to keep up."

Cephilia spoke up, offering her aid, but she wouldn't offer too much, as she made painfully clear.
Once more she raised her bejeweled hand out, muttering some strange form of prayer indecipherable to all but her. This time, however, she reached for the haft of Cressey's spear, and before Cressey could back away from her touch, an arc of energy burst forth from her fingertips, and latched onto the tip of her spear.
All at once, a brief flash of light forced Cressey's eyes shut, the smell of burning Ozone filled the air and burned her lungs, and a surge of tingling power coursed through her arm.
When she opened her eyes, she found the lance she held awash in a faint, unearthly blue glow.
In silent awe, she twisted the familiar lance in her hand, inspecting it from different angles, marveling at how the light radiated from the blue steel.
It was unreal to her; never could she have imagined something like the old, family lance capable of such a drastic transformation.
And yet, holding it now, she could scarcely recognize it.
Even more surprising, however, was Cephilia revealing that she recognized far more about the spear than Cressey had anticipated.
"How did you--?" Cressey nearly asked, forgetting herself in her surprise, until the coy look on the caskaerith's face gave her pause.
Damn, seemed she did know something, or at least had some inkling.
However, it didn't seem like she really cared, much to Cressey's comfort.
"Good to know." Cressey replied, as flatly as she could while she regained her composure.
She gave her newly imbued lance a few more skillful twirls around her hand to test it's weight.
Once she was satisfied, she quickly pressed herself close to the wall, her lance raised high to keep it out of sight, clutched tight in her hands, her entire body coiled taut and ready to pounce.

"...And if you like, you can watch closely, and I'll show you how it's best used."

And with that, she took one last, long, deep breath of sewer air in as she tightened her grip on her lance, and steeled her nerves.
She let all of the air in her body go with a harsh, protracted sigh, the feverish rush of adrenaline quickly surging through her veins, awakening her senses, taking it's place.
Her weight shifted, from the balls of her feet, to the tips of her toes, as she burst forth from around the corner, a brilliant, blue streak of light chasing after her as her lance cut through the air, a vicious warcry roiling from her throat as she charged forth, fearlessly, into the fray.

Interacting:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco/Cephilia)
Topless Topless (Sakura)

Mentions:
Everyone else in the sewer

"Good, that's right," Viv said gleefully as another heavy blow from the warhammer struck the kite shield in her left hand. She wielded an identical one in her right hand and hadn't even drawn her greatsword yet. The centaur danced back half a step as the large man recovered from delivering such a mighty swing. "You're doing good," she encouraged before swatting him with her right shield, knocking him onto his butt.

One of his allies dove in with a halberd, stabbing up at her chest, only to be parried aside and driven down to his knee, where she easily shoved him back a few feet, keeping her personal space clear. "Excellent, but too slow," Viv said. "Again, dear."

"Stop letting her mock you, boys!" a slightly older man said, grinding his teeth at how effortlessly the horsewoman fended off their attacks. He stood a few feet from the melee, with a round shield and gladius, barking orders, but not participating himself.

"Show them how it's done," Viv said with a wink, beckoning him to approach. "Show these youths the power of experience!"

"This is fucking ridiculous," he grumbled... but didn't dare take a step closer.

"Do not lose heart. You almost have me! Courage, men. Courage!" Viv cheered before quickly raising both shields. An arrow pinged off the metal, like raindrops on a tin roof. Were they paying closer attention, they would have seen her smile falter for a moment as she glared menacingly into the roaring campfire at the center of the chamber. Clever. He's keeping the flames between us, to obscure my vision. This archer's not half bad, Viv thought. A millisecond later and she would have missed that. If he was truly clever, he would have timed his shot with his allies' attacks, to really catch her off-guard.

"Stir, tempest spirits. Returning wind!" Viv muttered as she allowed her right shield's enarmes to slip from her hand, revealing the blight blue glow of her arcanizer, before she flung the kite shield like a giant metal frisbee. Swirling winds encapsulated it as it whipped through the fire. The hidden archer dived to the side, narrowly avoiding the big metal guillotine. The campfire's flames rippled as a great wind carried the thrown shield on an arcing path. It began to curve back toward its wielder... but not tightly enough. The shield ricocheted off the wall, struck the floor, and skittered to a stop in the dirt, Far from Viv's reach.

An unfortunate turn of events, but her will remained unbroken. "Whoops," the centaur said with a girlish giggle as she drew her ceremonial greatsword. "That trick usually works better in open fields. Such a shame... I really didn't want to bloody my sword today."

To be fair, none of these men were without skill. They each understood their roles and played them fairly well. This could get ugly, if she took them too lightly. (Despite her taunts, Viv took this battle very seriously, as she did every battle.) The only reason she was able to keep it up was because they lacked coordination. Also, the mage seeemed to have completely lost the will to fight. He remained with his back plastered to the wall, glassy-eyed and sullen, as if stricken by shock and terror. The only reason he hadn't retreated was because the centaur was blocking the path to the surface. And reaching the the opposite passage meant strolling past the archer's line of fire and the bandit's leader, both of whom might cut him down for desertion.

On the other hand, this meant he could be taken alive. The others were... expendable.

"Nice try!" Viv yelled a she suddenly half-turned and mule-kicked the sneaky little knife-wielding son of a bitch who thought he could backstab her. She knew what he was up to all along and merely let him think she didn't know he was circling around. His quick feet saved his life, as he barely managed to pounce backwards, to soften the blow of her hooves upon his chest. Unfortunately, her greatsword came around with such quickness, there was nothing the man could do. Viv struck him with the flat of the blade, like a batter nailing a home run. Even one-handed, the impact was enough to lift the man off his feet and nearly fold him in half, while throwing him backward. He lay doubled over, sucking in ragged breaths. Alive, but probably wishing he wasn't.

"Surrender is still an option," Viv said. By now, Mr. Warhammer and Mr. Halberd were regrouping, ready to try again, perhaps together this time. The archer was on his feet, too. Even the knife wielder was at least upright, though he'd probably need a little more time to catch his breath. "I can do this all day," Viv said. But I hope I don't have to...

The sound of crumbling stone announced the arrival of Risax and Thal. Much to her amusement, the two men broke through a portion of the cavern's wall, led by a wild dog tethered to the arachnid. "Surprise spider," Risax nervously announced as he readied his crossbow. If his voice and mannerisms were any indication, their sudden arrival was not planned.

A moment later, before the enemy could fully comprehend what was happening, Miss Cresselinde charged through the doorway, leading her friends into the room, with a lightning-tipped lance. Her tiny legs propelled her forward, while Thea's long strides followed close behind, along with Gaius and Cephilia. "Oh my!" Viv explained, finally genuinely amused by what was happening. It took all of her strength not to laugh with delight.

Mentions: AI10100 AI10100 (Thal) / King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) / RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) / Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back