• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Tales of Okame {TheDragonMoon x Sepulchritude}

~

And there it was, just as he was fearing. He quickly shut down any inner panic before it could become a problem and faced the music.
He decided he'd start with the formalities.
Akegata... Akegata.” he mused, turning the name over on his tongue. “Nice to make your formal acquaintance, Akegata. You may call me...” He paused, rapidly trying to decide on a pseudonym, any pseudonym would suffice.
Kuro”.
Aaand he just gave her his real name. Splendid. At least his face hadn't broken, for all it was worth. He gave another short cough, clearing some imaginary dry throat.
As for, well... What I was out here for, I guess you could say that I was working on achieving some personal goals as well. Though I cannot imagine they were quite... As interesting as yours seem to have been.” he said, remembering how this woman- No, Akegata had straddled the first Oni they slew.
I'm not from around here”, he continued. “Just a traveler passing through. Hardly familiar with this area at all. Just a question, but do the rest of the locals hunt monsters as you seem to do?” he joked.

Last edited:
"Kuro. Nice to meet you," Akegata replied, doing her best to smile. He seemed tense when he was doing something as simple as giving his name. Why should his name be that private? Or perhaps it was her mind making her see these things. She took another deep breath. If he had wanted to murder her, he would've done it a while back.

"For the locals, they sadly don't hunt the monsters like I do, so I have to do most of the work. It's tiring sometimes, but it's okay. I do have my values, unlike many sorry souls int his world," she told him.

She remembered why she came out here in the first place. "So, I need to head on my way to where the original source of the oni was. There are a couple things I want to investigate."

Feeling awkward, Akegata added, "I suppose if you are not feeling too ill and you are curious enough, you can come along too."

hbq2pP4.png

~

"Kuro. Nice to meet you." she replied, giving him a small smile. Kuro gave an equally miniscule smile back beneath his cowl, releasing a breath he didn't know he'd been holding; It didn't appear the subject of his name would be any further issue.
"For the locals, they sadly don't hunt the monsters like I do, so I have to do most of the work. It's tiring sometimes, but it's okay. I do have my values, unlike many sorry souls in this world. So, I need to head on my way to where the original source of the oni was. There are a couple things I want to investigate."
A somewhat awkward lapse while he digested that information. "I suppose if you are not feeling too ill and you are curious enough, you can come along too." she offered.
Kuro responded with one of the most incredulous stares he'd ever given. Tracing creatures of monstrous strength to their dens was a very enjoyable past-time if you were either insane, could break spines with a single punch, or both. For a moment he considered just throwing up his hands and jumping off this wild ride before it was too late... But then a memory temporarily forgotten surfaced through the mental haze, bringing him back to that all-important day, the very reason he was ever even in these woods to begin with... His mission.

Worn candles burned, slowly dripping used wax onto the squat table they rested upon. Acrid smoke wafted through the air, staining the dark rafters above and irritating his eyes. He blinked, trying to clear any potential tears that might shame him in the presence of the aged, bespectacled man who sat before him.
If said man noticed, he did not comment. At the moment, he was far more occupied with the documents before him, silently poring over the loose papers, aged hands occasionally shuffling one over another.
The others were just as silent. They sat beside Kuro, stone-faced and alert. All quietly going mad with suspense, but none showing it.

Tick.

Tock.

An ancient clockwork timekeeper spun into motion.

Tick.

Tock.

The older man began hunting for something within a small cabinet.

Tick.

Tock.

He withdrew a small pamphlet, emblazoned with bright red mark Kuro did not see before it was hastily covered.

Tick.

Tock.

His eyes widened as the man flipped open the document and withdrew a small piece of paper, turning it over a few times with a casual air.

Tick.

Tock.

'Come on, come on... Just tell us already. You need to tell us already.' he begged inwardly.

Tick.

Tock.

The man looked up, as if noticing them all for the first time. A short nod. Clearing his throat, he finally began to speak.

"Chuunin. I'm certain you all know why you were all called here. I am not certain that any of you know what you were called here to do."

Kuro wasn't sure that made any sense, but had no time to ponder the thought.

"It has not escaped anyone's attention that these past few months have presented undesirable setbacks to our clan and its interests. Of course, you might reason, all setbacks are undesirable, but this would be a mistake of judgment.

There are situations where a setback might give you an opportunity to reassess your position and make corrections accordingly. There are situations where a setback might save you from an erroneous move, or perhaps reprimand you, break you down but leave you to rebuild yourself into a stronger image.
These are the setbacks that we may accept, even desire, should circumstance call for it.

I am afraid that none of the setbacks we have recently undergone are anything of the sort.

The clan was very nearly ruined. I trust I need not remind you of the horrors of that night.”
Kuro did not need to be reminded. Kuro did not want to be reminded. Judging from the uncomfortable looks that had broken his companion's set faces, the feeling was mutual.

The aged man cleared his throat again. “We are bleeding, chuunin. Within several hours we lost a third of what we have accomplished within several centuries. Ripped from us, like so much else the enemy has taken. We cannot lose any more.
Know that we will not bleed out. We are Zu-Nin. We were among the first and we will be the last, but to live until that day we must first tie a tourniquet around our open wounds.”
So saying, he slid the pamphlet over to his listeners, who each inspected the document as best they could without breaking dignity. Kuro craned his neck, catching a good glimpse of a small, perforated piece of paper with text too fine to read; But a symbol too familiar to miss. The mark of the enemy. The crest of the Shotodan.

“That, young chuunin, is the fruit of countless hours of labor. Agents more skilled in one finger than you are in your entire body sacrificed much just to bring us this one, tiny little piece of paper. Yet this simple object contains the very information that will save us yet.

The wizened man drew forth a dusty map from a nearby pile of papers, smacking it down upon the table to rid it of its filth

“These,” he said, gesturing intently towards the center of a forested region, “are the midlands of the providence of Lajiong. They are also the location of a heavily guarded Shotodan trade border. Understand that not so much as a crane can soar across those walls without being mashed to pulp under an unrelenting barrage of lead.
There is no man foolish enough to mount an attack upon a trade border; And yet this very one has been wholly decimated, turned to nothing but scrap and rubble. At least, if our source is not incorrect.” he said, meaningfully tapping the piece of paper again.
Kuro finally caught a better look at the thing. It was mostly filled with all-capital curses and pleas for help.

“To see the Shotodan not merely repelled, but decimated, is so uncommon as to be considered impossible. And yet here the impossible has happened.
The question is, how was it done and how may we use this to our advantage? Now, many of my higher ranking colleagues will offer you nothing but dry conspiracy, perhaps one of the Samurai went rogue, or maybe an especially brazen rebel group proved especially lucky.
As for me, I prefer more... Imaginative theories.”

Again, the speaker withdrew a sheet of paper from his endless stacks, pushing it across the table to meet the others. Dates, coordinates and what read like eye-witness accounts of some unknown event covered the page. The stories all varied but they shared a common word throughout: Oni.

“Over the past few months, we have begun receiving reports of unknown creatures raiding villages on the outskirts of Okame. At first we dismissed them as folk tales, mere anecdotes.
Then came the day one of our surviving outposts was ripped apart by a force unstoppable. Few lived to tell the tale, and even fewer were believed.
The high Jounin scoff to even think anything could be as ludicrously powerful as our accounts warned, but I knew better. I've always known better, for you see,” And now he was leaning inwards, as if confiding a great secret,
“I've lived far too long and seen far too much to assume the least from this strange land. Whether it is the work of the force of Kuji or some other esoteric, unknown power, I do not know.
But what I do know is that the sooner we can observe and understand this force, the better we will be prepared for the gathering storm.”

And with that he sat back, taking a sip from a stray teacup whilst the young ninja let the information sink in. The tea was evidently not pleasant, for it left his mouth five seconds after it entered.

“I trust that none of you failed your mental examines, but just in case, I shall lay forth the obvious.
Within one phase of the moon you will be dispatched into Lajiong, and from there you will seek the trade border, along with any information regarding the Oni you may encounter along the way.
If you think this mission is of too great difficulty for ones of your skill level, your concern is to be noted and then immediately disregarded.”

The old man rose to his feet, signaling the others to follow suit.

“Remember. A curious ninja is a dead ninja, but if you are not curious in this mission you may be dead regardless. Remember the ticking clock you must stop, remember the open wound you must bind.

I can wish you only the best of luck.”

Those last few words echoed in his ears. To not be curious was to fail the mission, how soon he had forgotten. To fail the mission was to fail the clan. To fail the clan was... Unthinkable.
The events of the previous night could probably prove very valuable in of themselves, but he needed more information. He'd seen a lot but when he thought about it, he really didn't know all that much. And here he was, being offered a chance to potentially find the answers to everything, and he was honestly thinking of declining?
That was probably the most ridiculous thought he had had in a while, which was saying something.

"Of course. I'd be more than happy to tag along."

Last edited:
She blinked, surprised that he had actually said yes. Perhaps surprised at herself too for asking him in the first place. It had been a long time since she had worked with another person for this long. But this was good. This is what she had been trying to break. He seemed trustworthy enough, and this would be the start of a new era where she could start building a team. Akegata kept taking deep breaths, distancing herself from the darting and pestering thoughts drifting around in her head.

"Okay, let us go then," she called to him as she started on the way, continuing to follow the tracks. "Please let me know if your wounds are opening up or if you need to rest. I do not want you to get yourself more hurt because you feel the need to be manly or brave or something. That's just called foolishness."

Thankfully, they didn't have that far to go. Making their way through the mostly destroyed foliage and earth back to the man only took around fifteen minutes at the speedy pace that they went. Akegata looked back at Kuro a few times, checking out of slight paranoia and to see how he was holding up. As they continued on, the number of times lessened.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that the mangled remains of the body were still there and seemed undisturbed. Yet, her heart sank when she saw how there seemed to be nothing that could be salvaged from the wreck. Akegata gingerly picked her way through the corpse, not flinching at the savagery, simply seeing if she could find anything at all valuable left. Then, she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. A brown satchel bag. It had landed a few feet away, at the base of a few bamboo shots. It must have been flung off when the monster had torn at the man. She smiled, realizing the gods were still on her side

Akegata rummaged through the bag and found three letters that were sealed with the familiar Shotodan red and orange seal. She purposefully hid it from Kuro at first, still unsure of what she was going to do with him. She would have to figure that out soon. Placing the scrolls underneath her robes, she slowly turned to face him.

"So, how do you feel about the Shotodan?" she asked with a sly smile.

eCQUmaf.jpg

~

His companion kept looking over her shoulder at him, probably to keep him from running away. It put him off, though he couldn't blame her for harboring any suspicion. She was hardly naïve but were he her, he would have had a lot more misgivings trusting darkly clad strangers.
On that topic, he was beginning to become uncomfortably aware of his conspicuous appearance in broad daylight. He figured if nothing else, he'd do away with the torn jacket and wrapped it up in a bundle, minding the valuable items inside.

A short hike later and they reached a stone path, with Akegata hustling over to something on the ground. Kuro sniffed the air, noting an unpleasant smell, and moved around to get a better look at what Akegata was searching.
A ripple of shock coursed through him when he saw the mutilated man. Had Akegata somehow done this? Kuji users could do this to people, right? A second look, however, revealed the tooth marks, and however crazy Akegata may have been, Kuro hardly thought her a cannibal.
She was inspecting the corpse very thoroughly, prying through a ripped pocket here and a loose organ there, probably looking for something. Kuro was no stranger to death and blood but something about defiling a corpse rubbed him the wrong way and he averted his gaze.
All of a sudden, something dark flitted at the corner of his vision. Immediately his head was erect, quickly scanning the surrounding thicket. Nothing. The forest seemed peaceful and undisturbed as ever, but something was off. Kuro knew something was definitely off. There was something in the scene that just didn't belong, someone unseen who was trying very hard to remain that way. He couldn't see them, but he could feel them.
Kuro narrowed his eyes, blocking out the midday sun and peering more intently into the shadows. Again, out of the corner of his eye he caught movement, but this time he was more careful not to telegraph his notice. He craned his head forward as if to scrutinize the underside of a rock, but at the same time ever so slightly swiveled his eyes in the direction of what he had seen.

Four darkly clad figures stood motionless in the profile of the bamboo, silently watching with wary eyes.
He breathed a sigh of relief. It was only his team, the ones he had left behind at the campfire last night. Probably thinking they were being sneaky; He'd give them points for trying.
Kuro quickly whipped around to face them, holding a single finger to his lips. They visibly flinched, but realized they were caught. Holding up a second hand, he began signing in code.

'Hey guys.'

The tallest among them signed back.

'What do you think you are doing.'

It hit him how bad what he thought he was doing looked.

'Collecting info. Undercover.'

The shadow paused before replying.

'How much does she know.'

Now it was his turn to pause while he thought up a good reply for that.

'Nothing.'

They didn't need to know how he'd accidentally given away his name.

'Keep it that way.'

Kuro shrugged it off with a reassuring wink. The other responded with an unamused glare.
He noticed Akegata turning towards him. Frantically, he motioned the figures away, watching them melt back into the forest just as she addressed him.

"So, how do you feel about the Shotodan?"

Now that was not a question he'd been expecting. Slightly taken aback, Kuro responded slowly.
Honestly? Depends on how much you pay me. I mean, for a few hundred ryo I'll wash their rifles with my tongue, if that's what you're up for.
He was joking, of course. His real price would have been several hundred ryo higher, and that would have been for enough alcohol to suppress any semblance of dignity or conscience he had.
What could he feel about the Shotodan that thousands others had not felt before? As tyrannical, thieving, genocidal warlords went, they were pretty much the worst. They razed both enemy and innocent without mercy, pillaged without care and danced on the graves of the fallen with none to oppose them, for none could oppose them.
In Kuro's opinion, that made them all bastards.

Out of curiosity, though... Why do you ask?"

Last edited:
She didn't find the humor in his response, but what could she expect? Even if he was truly opposed to the shotodan, it wasn't like he was going to be blurting it out in the middle of the forest to a person that he had just met. Akegata would have to be patient if she wanted to become true allies with him. Yet, as she fiddled with the scrolls that she had found, she realized that there wasn't much time for patience.

"Why did I want to know? Well, I suppose that answer relies on how much I can trust you and how much you can trust me," she hinted slyly. "What kind of person are you Kuro? One who blindly follows authority or one who thinks for themselves?"

Her heart thumped and it felt like it was going to come out of her chest. Not once had she been so bold or foolish before. But it was time to take action. All her life she had been waiting for the perfect opportunity, and at last she had come to the conclusion she would have to create it for herself.

~

Kuro noted the scrolls and the seals emblazoned on their surface, quickly putting together exactly what Akegata was asking of him. So they were to meddle in the affairs of the Shotodan, not pursue further information regarding Oni. He couldn't help feeling disappointed, but it was a little late to be having second thoughts. And after all, even it wasn't strictly part of the mission, the clan would surely never begrudge a hit against the enemy.

"If you want me to be your partner in crime, you're not going to need a profile of my personality. A simple 'please' will do nicely." He allowed himself a little chuckle, but decided that was enough joking around and that it was time to get down to business.
"But seriously. I don't know how much faith you have in me, but if it eases your mind, I'd trust you with my life."
Part of him thought he was lying through his teeth, but the other part believed every last word.
"After all, I already have. Several times, in fact. You haven't forgotten the events of last night so quickly, have you?" he asked in earnest, gesturing towards the ruin of the forest.

Last edited:
Relief hit when she heard his response, although only temporarily. Akegata reminded herself that it was of the utmost importance to continue to have her guard up, even with the ones she thought could be trusted. But now at least, she would be able to continue her mission instead of dawdling in the bamboo woods for the rest of her life.

"No, I definitely won't forget last night for as long as I live," she said. The images of the violence, destruction, and fear flashed through her mind once again. Yet although it had been a terrible night, she vowed like any other troubling experience that it would make her stronger. Keep on learning, never subsided, and reach towards the heavens.

"And it's good to know that we can trust each other then. I feel like we are going to make a good duo," she said with a smile. "Now, do we want to stand around all day or do we want to see what the scrolls contain? Let's see, shall we?"

With a swift movement of her index finger, she broke the red and orange seal, releasing the scroll from its bonds. There was only a short message contained in the first scroll.

Movement in the southeast.
Watch for Shano's army.
The black bird is growing restless.
~Xau Hinaol

She frowned. Not very useful at all. The first part made sense, as there had been news of a rebel army growing in the southeast, and Shano was infamous as being a charismatic and fiery leader. Not really any news there. As for the last part, it was obviously a code for something and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. But perhaps the next scroll would be more useful for the time being.

Another seal broken and she scanned the next scroll's contents, hoping it would give them anything the least bit substantial.

General Lee San will be arriving in the capital within a few days.
Prepare for his arrival. He will be entering on South Sun Avenue.
The meeting of the High Council will be the day after, in the Jaio
Tower.
~Xau Hinaol

Good. That actually gave them something to build off of. If they traveled at a fast pace, they would be able to make it to the capital in time to disrupt their meeting and create disorder. How that would actually be accomplished was currently unknown, but they would have to find a way. Or die trying.

Once more, the images of what happened at the city flashed through her mind and she struggled hard to stifle her emotions. She couldn't let her emotions get in the way now, out of all times. They would have to act now and avenge the poor innocent souls that perished.

Akegata showed the letter to him. After he read it, she said, "Let's got the capital then, shall we? There's not much left for us to do here. And we need to hurry, so if you are still feeling okay, then let's start now. We can figure out our exact plan on the way there."

Last edited:
~
He gave the scrolls a second glance to make sure he thoroughly understood before speaking.
So, we're bound for the Capital, then? Nirasato's not exactly a stroll away, you know. Document's kinda vague on exact dates but I'm not willing to wager we've got more than half a week before our window of opportunity closes. So unless you've got any swifter way of getting around, which it doesn't seem you do...

He fell silent, pondering the issue. Suddenly, an idea occurred to him.

You wouldn't happen to have heard of Humble Yeng's Hundred Services, would you?

Last edited:
"No, I haven't heard of them, would you care to elaborate?" she asked him. "As long as they can get us there quickly, it sounds like a plan."

She hoped that he actually had a good plan to get them there quickly, for there was no time to waste. Every second lessened their chances of pulling off their mission successfully. Also, she hoped that he wouldn't collapse on the journey. Although he hadn't mentioned his wounds again, they still must need more healing and could very well reopen on the journey there. They would have to be careful and get the proper care he needed when they had the chance.

~

In response, Kuro laid his bundled jacket upon a mossy bank and began rummaging through its many hidden pockets, taking care to not reveal the more questionable contents therein.
"Alright, so, Humble Yeng's? They're basically the greatest delivery company in the world. Best of the best, greatest of the greatest. Fast as the wind, efficient as an army, can have a wraith-bear at one end of Okame today and at the other tomorrow or your money back." The ninja realized he was sounding like an over-eager salesman and decided to tone the performance down. "Anyway, what I'm saying is, they're absolutely perfect for our purposes." His search through the coat's pockets finally turned up the elusive object and he whipped around to face his partner.
"And it just so happens," he said with a sly grin, producing a blue and gold talisman, "I've got a coupon for a free delivery."
He let the dramatic moment play out.
"So. Lanterns, need 'em. Any nearby?"

Last edited:
Akegata raised her eyebrows at his energetic attitude. At least they had a feasible and quick way to get there now. Well, if they happened to find any lanterns. It took her a moment to think of where they could find one, but then it struck her as obvious. There were shrines scattered all along this road and especially the bigger ones carried lanterns.

"Sure, I think I know where we could find some. Follow me," she said to him.

They made their way down the path and within a sort distance they came across a shrine. It symbols on the arched entrance showed that it was dedicated to honor the spirits of the forest, while also asking their blessing for a safe journey to the travelers on the road. Its delicate curves of its slopped red wood roof towered over Akegata as she stared into the center of the the shrine, which had an altar adorned with candles and small statues. A still and sacred presence filled the area. On the steps leading up to the shrine, there were rows of lanterns on each side.

"Do your thing Kuro, but try not to disturb the shrine too much," she whispered to him.

Rain.jpg
~

Kuro allowed himself to take in the majesty of the shrine, but refocused his attention on what he was really after; The lanterns. He hoped what he was about to do didn't count as disturbing the shrine too much.

Backing up a ways, he braced his legs and launched himself into the air, delivering a solid kick directly to a small structure's supports. The lantern proved more fragile than he anticipated and instantly crumbled, breaking open against the ground and spilling out a small candle, which he quickly scooped up.
Collecting the pieces, he then rearranged them on the path, piling them around the candle. The mound crackled and smoked, but soon enough, a healthy little fire started up. Kuro was rather pleased by his success, but then remembered his companion could create fire out of nothing and felt a bit stupid for not asking her to simply light the pile herself.

Time for the final touch. Into the fire went the talisman, its paper coating quickly sizzling away as the flames began to turn a vibrant crimson. Kuro's eyes widened in excitement; Now came the fun part. A few seconds passed, and all of a sudden the fire was sparkling and popping, colored smoke filling the air.
Then, with a magnificent whoosh, a star of color shot straight into the sky and burst, the explosion resounding across the land.

For a moment, all was silent, save the distant cries of disturbed fowl. Kuro scanned the skies and trained his ears; It sounded like the wind was picking up, yet the trees remained still. The dull noise was growing closer and closer, louder and louder.

The noise reached a piercing crescendo and, with a blast that shook the area, an enormous airborn ship rocketed out of the sky. Its mighty prow skimmed the sea of bamboo as roaring engines left charred leaves in their wake, completely blocking out the sun with its hulking girth. The craft swayed, folded its spread sails and relocated its jets towards the bow, slowing till it gently circled the two below.
Kuro just stared in awe. Humble Yeng's really knew how to make an entrance.
The elaborately decorated keel parted, and a platform was dropped onto the path before them with a thud. The ninja sprang onto it, gripping the chains that attached it to the hovering vessel above and hurriedly beckoned his partner to do the same.
Once she joined him, he found a small red rope and tugged twice, hard. With a jolt, the platform began to rise back into the ship, the keel closing behind them, reducing the shriek of the engines to a dull roar once more.
Inside was chaos. Everywhich way he looked, Kuro saw packages strewn about in a gigantic organized mess. Porters were running back and forth, ducking over and under pipes and other porters, jockeying parcels to new destinations. A short, neatly dressed man presided over it all, obsessively keeping stock. Noticing the new arrivals, he briskly strode over and without even looking up from his charter stated, “Names. Destination.

After a moment of confusion, Kuro realizing they were being addressed. He decided he'd let Akegata do the talking. Conversing with strangers wasn't a habit he was willing to form.

Last edited:
Akegata stood back with slight amusement as she watched the man set the fire up. Once he got that up, she started to think back to the name: Humble Yeng's. She had never heard of this service, which gave her a sense of shame. She would have to do more research on them when she got the time. How did Kuro discover them? It made her wonder what kind of past he had.

Finally, the ceremony was complete. The colorful smoke spiraled eloquently in the air and let out a blast. A pause, then it sounded as if the world was going to split apart. And the roar only continued to get louder and louder. Akegata tensed her body, the oni attacks fresh in mind, but started to relax once more when she saw the massive airship come. It was spectacular. She had never seen anything quite like it. As Kuro got on the ship, she continued to stand back and stare in complete awe. It sails bellowed in the wind, looking like wings of a great beast. The hull was as massive as a mountain.

Kuro gestured for her to get on, and she snapped out of her daze. Akegata made her way up and into the chaos that was on board. It seemed to be popular service after all. More than once, she had to move to one side to avoid being knocked over by a busy man on board.

An offical stood over them, wearing an blue and gold button up suit. He had a mustache and a tough, steady look in his eyes. He asked for their name and destination. Akegata expected Kuro to respond, but when he didn't, she realized that she would have to speak for them. She guessed that he wasn't the most sociable type.

She opened her mouth, ready to state their actual names, "Yes, our names our Ake-"

Then she stopped, realizing how foolish that was. There wasn't much attached to her name, but nobody needed to know that she was journeying to the capital.

"Our names are Akenama and Uso. Destination: Nirasato," she said with conviction, looking at the man right in the eye. "And the quicker the better."

lEqf6oU.jpg

~

The official nodded, quickly jotting down the information before darting over to a nearby rack of colored cards. A golden one was selected, scribbled on, and attached to a hook which promptly yanked it into the ceiling and out of sight.
There was a short pause, and then a jolt as the ship began to adjust its course, shifting cargo and sending porters skidding across the floor.
Kuro was nearly tipped off balance as well, but deftly shifted his weight to move with the turn. "Us premium passengers get priority," he explained in a whisper to his partner. "Too bad that means a lot of unexpected twists and turns."
The ship had finished its hasty realignment and now began to dip upwards, the sound of the engines escalating as more thrust was demanded of them.
The hold was becoming a tad too busy for the ninja's tastes, and his dark attire was beginning to attract unwanted looks from the staff; where curiosity was, questions would inevitably follow. Kuro spotted a flight of stairs leading up and quietly slipped away.

A blast of wind greeted his face at the top. The upper deck was massive, its polished wooden surface easily large enough to hold a decently sized army. Knowing Humble Yeng's, it probably had.
There were no armies to be found on this day however. Just some nomads reclining on their packs, a few richly dressed women, politicians by the look of them, and an evidently acrophobic donkey quivering off to the side. None seemed remotely interested in the new visitor, and Kuro decided he'd be better off acquainting himself with the lay of the land below.
Peering over the side, he was simultaneously struck by a sense of wonder and intense vertigo. The ship was still climbing, having reached its full speed, and the once endless forest below was quickly shrinking away, being reduced to just another small patch of green.
Kuro just stared, watching the trees disappear. He wondered if birds ever got tired of seeing this view. Doubtful he would.

All of a sudden, a glowing particle sped by, grabbing his attention. A few more glowing particles followed, accompanied by a dark, sooty cloud. He sniffed the air, coughing a bit at the acrid smell. At first he wondered whether an exhaust pipe had burst, but then he saw where the cloud had come from.
Over the horizon, the remains of Akegata's city were still burning. Even from this height he could see the flames consuming what Oni had not, its former glory turning to embers in the wind.
Harboring regrets was not something Kuro often did, but he couldn't help feeling a brief pang of despair at all the lives he had failed to save. Just as quickly as it appeared, he quashed the feeling. It was unwise for one to regret losing a game they could never have won in the first place.
Something caught his eye, snapping him out of thought. He leaned forward, eager for a new mystery to take his mind off the events of the previous night.
There was a rope attached to the stern of the ship, and climbing that rope were four all-too familiar figures. A bemused Kuro hopped onto the railing to better watch their ascent. Seemed keeping a constant eye on their errant team-mate was more important a job than actually sticking to the mission. He wasn't sure if he should feel flattered or irritated.
The team finally disappeared behind the engines and Kuro returned to watching the country disappear. Idly, he wondered where his newest team-mate had gotten off to.

Last edited:
It was a relief when the captain accepted their names with a brusque nod. Now, Akegata could at last relax while enjoying the journey there. They were high up in the sky where there shouldn't be any problems from anything. Apparently, they were also premium passengers, as Kuro said. That was a plus. She wondered how much the token he had was worth and how he managed to get his hands on it. As the ship rearranged itself to adjust to their destination, she guessed that it must be quite expensive.

She watched as he strode off to the upper deck, considered following him, and decided against it. She would take the time to explore the ship for herself.

Taking a moment to look around the top area, she realized that the place truly was massive. It felt like a mini city all on its own. Stacked high up was scaffolding, buildings, platforms, and many different people wandering the ship. Now, what was the inside like? Akegata climbed down a set of stairs to the inside of the ship and was astounded to see it being magnificently decorated, unlike any other ship she had ever been on. First, there were multiple stories and this was just the first one, and she couldn't see where this floor even ended. The ceiling had wild and beautiful plants growing from it, a couple of the vines brushing against the top of her head. On the floor itself, there were what seemed to be hundreds of rooms each with their own purpose. The first few were for security, followed by shops, and later on there seemed to be housing for the passengers. She might get lost exploring this ship.

She went down the stairs once more to the second floor, where many animals from all around the world were being held. A path out of bamboo went through their cages, and a few people were wandering and admiring the animals. A sign was posted by each one not to feed or pet them. It's nice that they decided they could let the passengers see them even if they were just cargo. The animals seemed to be happy enough with most of them napping peacefully. As she made her way to the stairs once more, a rare rainbow colored bird with its wings glowing a pink hue caught her eye. She had only read about them in her ancient textbooks; they were supposed to be extinct. What was one doing her? Before Akegata could overthink it, she plucked a feather from the bird and pocket it in her robes. The feathers were known to have magical properties, so it might come in handy later in the journey.

"Hey! What are you doing?" A shout called from behind her.

Shit, she cursed silently. There were guards crawling all over this place; she should have known better. Not bothering to look back behind her, she started to make a mad dash up the stairs and back into the chaotic fray of the people up there. Akegata wasn't going to hand over this feather. It was too valuable, and they shouldn't even have this animal in the first place.

As the stairs approached the first floor, she felt a hand grab her robes and she reacted immediately. She swiveled on the her feet and gave the man a swift kick on his stomach, pushing him down the stairs. Right before he fell, she saw the shock in his eyes. Watching him roll down the stairs, she felt a pang of regret, but she knew she had to keep going. Flee from the scene. She climbed up the rest of the stairs quickly and back onto the main area of the ship.

Pausing a moment, Akegata considered what she had just done. She usually never acted that brashly and she should have noticed the guard. She shook her head. She needed to rest more tonight.

Feeling the feather in her pocket, she couldn't help but smile. It had been worth it. Later, it would be interesting to know why the had an extinct bird on board, but that would wait. Akegata climbed her way up to met up with Kuro on the top deck. She could faintly smell smoke in the air, but she didn't know where it was coming form.

Kuro stood at the tip, staring out into the horizon and seemed lost in his thought. An idea struck her. This would be a great chance to be able to get to know each other better. She usually wouldn't want to do that, yet they were going to be working together, so it only seemed right.

"Hey," she called out to him as she made her way over. "How are you doing? Thinking about your dark past?'

Akegata was still covered in sweat from the dash up the stairs. Hopefully, he wouldn't notice. And hopefully, they wouldn't be kicked off from the ship when the man was discovered.

~

For someone not trained in Ninjutsu, she was surprisingly good at appearing when least expected.

"How are you doing? Thinking about your dark past?

Full of questions as ever, too. And surprisingly on the mark with the latter. She probably meant it as a joke, but it hit a little too close to home for Kuro. He decided he'd pick the less sensitive conservation starter.

Well, not doing any worse than when you asked ten minutes ago.” A cold chill swept over the deck, going right through his thin undergarments. “Okay, now I'm doing slightly worse.” he said with a shiver. He wrapped the torn jacket around his exposed arms, trying to keep warm. How was Akegata sweating at this altitude?

So anyway, my guess is you've been sightseeing. How'd you find the ship? Not too shabby, is it?

Last edited:
Keeping a neutral expression, she answered, "Oh yeah, I have been. Quite the beauty I have to say. If you're impressed by the deck of the ship like I was, just wait until you see the insides. It's amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it. Shops, animals, and thousands of interesting rooms. I really can't believe it."

Akegata tapped her fingers on the railing, enjoying the wind cool off her sweat. She stared into the distance, thinking about what she should ask him. It would be terribly frustrating if he was simply going to remain the mysterious boy the entire time.

"So, where do you come from? It doesn't seem you're exactly from around the area." she said cautiously. glancing at him from the corner of her eyes. "It's going to be a long journey. You may as well open up a little."

But don't expect too much from me, she thought. Let's just take this slow.

~

The ninja let out a sigh audible only to himself. Akegata wasn't a bad sort, far from it, but he was getting tired of having to evade her questions. She was right, they did have a long journey ahead. And a dangerous one at that. Was it really wise to rely so heavily on a partner you hardly knew anything about?
Kuro slumped onto the railing, cradling his chin while he pondered the conundrum. He was beginning to wish the ninja rule of absolute secrecy wasn't so absolute. Constantly deceiving those around him was... A lonely existence, he guessed he would say.
But it had to be done.
"I'm a traveler by trade. Not really a nomad, 'course, not even bound down enough for that. Just living life on the open road, y'know?." It was at least a half-truth, in the sense that he'd been homeless up until recently.
Kuro's brow clouded. He didn't want to remember the circumstances that had put him in that position. Down the thought went, joining its dark brethren below.
"So... Anyway, guess if I had to place where I'm from, I'd say 'the world'. That, or nowhere in particular. Your preference."
It was a good start, but probably not enough to ease tensions. He'd need more conversational material.
"You know, I can't believe I've been taking it for granted, but you're a..." he furtively glanced around, checking for prying ears.
"You're a Kuji user. I mean, that's incredible. You have any idea how rare you guys are?" He inwardly facepalmed. Of course she knew.
"Sorry. It's just I can't remember the last time I saw someone who could tap into that energy, let alone use it as well as you do. And you had an entire clan at your back, right? How'd you get those kinds of numbers? The Shotodan aren't exactly fond of your kind, y'know."
He'd originally intended to use the topic as an icebreaker but the more he talked about it, the more genuinely curious he became; this woman might have just as abnormal a history as he did.

Last edited:
A wanderer, huh? Sounds like it could be a lie to conceal the truth, but he did look like a vagabond type. Akegata looked at him, trying to read his character. There seemed to be some kind of deep hurt within him, an ache of loneliness, but she decided not to press it for now. It would still take some time for them to get to know each other even after saving each other.

"Sounds like it would be fun yet lonely. Seeing more of the world is one of my goals --- if I ever have the time after accomplishing my main mission," she mused.

But of course, he threw the attention back onto her. She took a deep breath, trying to convince herself that it would be okay to open up. Yet no matter how much she tried to reassure herself and calm her nerves, the only way to do it was to just do it.

"Well, yes I know I am quite rare. That's why I don't usually decide to trust random people in the woods, so consider yourself quite the exception," Akegata said. "As for the clan, well, I rather not talk too much about my people. The less that's known about us, the better. I trust you can understand that. Just know that we are out there, pushing for a better world."

Akegata felt a small bit of pride at his amazement at her skills. After practicing for many years to perfect her techniques, it felt good to have it out in the open and have it appreciated. Of course, pride wasn't beneficial to her soul, so she tried not to let it grow too much.

She stood there, mentally running through what they had talked about so far. What else should she say about herself? She wasn't used to talking to people about things other than mission or training updates.

Instead of saying anything else, she elected to continue to stare out in the distance, still enjoying the cool breeze. As she stared out into the endless horizon, she wished not for the first time in her life, that she would be able to become formless and be free from her concerns. Stretch like the horizon into infinity. Yet, here she remained on the boat, going on towards a mission where she might never come back from.

"Do you think we will be fine once we get there?" she asked him quietly.

~

"Well, yes I know I am quite rare. That's why I don't usually decide to trust random people in the woods, so consider yourself quite the exception."
Kuro cocked his head. 'I thought you were my exception.' he mused inwardly.

"As for the clan, well, I rather not talk too much about my people. The less that's known about us, the better. I trust you can understand that. Just know that we are out there, pushing for a better world."
This time, he refocused his attention fully on her. As a matter of fact, he could understand. He understood exactly.

Kuro had long considered the life of a ninja to be one of the most dangerous things anyone could willingly subject themselves to. Ninja were capable of immense strength, yet that strength came from a place cloaked in deception and shadow. When that cloak dropped, the ninja was no more. Teachers, friends and family, a single wrong move and all could be lost in an instant; This he had learned from experience.
It made him fear the unknown with a passion. The unknown could render the cloak useless, the unknown could rend him in twain. The unknown could also maintain the cloak, make him dramatically stronger. He hated the uncertainty of it all.
But Akegata, someone whom he'd thought a part of that very same capricious force, was now seemed to be just as much at its mercy as he.
She was working in the shadows as well, though she wore no ninja's emblem. A kuji user would do well to keep themselves hidden behind that familiar cloak, unless they wished for death at the hands of the Shotodan. And Akegata was almost certainly planning every move she made well in advance, always fearing the crushing consequences of a single misstep.

Kuro wondered; Did Akegata fear the unknown as fervently as he did?
If so... Perhaps, just perhaps, they shared a common enemy beside the Shotodan.

"Do you think we will be fine once we get there?" she asked, her voice barely audible above the rushing wind.
The ninja hesitated. He wasn't sure he was qualified to predict the future, but something had to be said.
With you as an ally? We just might make it out in one piece.
It wasn't the best motivational speech, but in the face of an unknown future, it would have to do.

Last edited:
Akegata tried to suppress her smile. She enjoyed his positivity. Too many people she had worked with tended to plan for the very worst, which although she could see the strategic value in it, there was something about it that always bothered her. And she realized at that moment, she wasn't feeling as awkward as before. She was doing it. Getting to know a stranger. As the conversation went, the tension seemed to drift away into the horizon. This was going to be much better than she had expected. She hoped that Kuro felt the same way. Perhaps, if she dared to even think with the far future in mind, they would remain allies for a while. It seemed they had something going for them.

A thought went across Akegata's mind. How did he learn his skills? From what she had seen, he was quite experienced in battle and knew how to hold his own. A simple wanderer would never learn anything like that. He must have had some kind of formal training.

"So," she began slowly, "I am curious. Your battle skills are quite impressive and some of the techniques I haven't quite seen before. Could you give me any idea of where you learned how to dash so nimbly around the entire forest? It is truly impressive, I have to say."

This would obviously get more into his backstory, so she hardly expected an answer, but she decided it would be worth a shot. As he was about to say something, a crew member shouted at them.

"There's some food and sake down below if you're interested. For premium members, the first few meals are on us, so come on and enjoy!"

She perked up at the notice of sake. Akegata was not a big drinker, alcohol being something that was generally frowned upon in her temple, but she felt that she could spare a couple after nearly getting killed ten times.

"Let's go then," Akegata called to her partner as she made her way down the steps, towards the smell of the food.

This would be an excellent time for the both of them to relax a little more. Perhaps the other crew members could have some information on where they were headed. And even if they didn't, with the way that the ship was built, the food must be excellent. She was looking forward to it.

~

Briefly Kuro tried to protest; He'd rather begun to enjoy their conversation. Couldn't food wait? But then the aroma from belowdeck wafted into his nostrils, causing his stomach to politely remind him that its last full meal had been at least a week ago (Not counting travel rations, which barely counted as food anyway). He wasted no time in running ahead.

Unfortunately, by the time they reached the banquet hall's entrance, a sizable, hungry mob had converged. Either the doors were too slim or the passengers too greedy, but in any case, no-one was getting through anytime soon.

Kuro glumly surveyed the situation. His social intuition told him to wait out the shoving match like a normal person, but his aching gut told him it needed food right now. And unless he wanted a few more bruises, the door was not the route to take. Fortunately, this wasn't the first time he had to deal with a situation like this. The lunch rush was always terrible aboard Humble Yeng's, so a solution was inevitable.

He rejoined Akegata's side, getting close enough to be heard over the din. “Hey, I know another way in, in case you're interested. And not afraid of heights.” he added with a mischievous smirk. Making sure no-one was looking, he slipped to a railing and leaned over the side, spotting his goal. The windows of the banquet hall hung open, inviting. If they were agile enough, they could be inside within seconds. But the distance between they and the windows was great, and the distance to the ground, even greater.

Kuro took a few breaths to calm himself. He'd done this before, but it didn't make the journey any less dangerous.
Slipping his jacket off his shoulder, he produced a small metal object and a length of chain, the latter of which he secured around his wrist. He then held up the metal bit and with a theatrical air, folded it open, revealing several sturdy prongs. “Cool, right?” he quipped. It was a rhetorical question. He already knew it was cool.
With a deft throw, the hook found purchase in a handy wooden decoration above. Kuro tugged a few times to make sure it could hold weight, before turning back to Akegata and meaningfully extended his hand. “Might wanna hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Last edited:
Her heart sank when she realized that they would have to wait at least an hour for their food. She wasn't feeling like she was going to starve at that moment, but it was still a discouraging sight. Just as she was prepared to simply take a deep breath and wait it out, Kuro had another one of his brilliant ideas. She watched and questioned his sanity as he prepared a grappling hook to sneak into the window of the dining area. Wouldn't it just have been better if they were to be patient?

"Are you insane?" she questioned, out loud this time.

All Kuro did was grin at her, his eyes sparkling with the same mischievous spark when he got the idea to blow up the city. He outstretched his hand to her once he got the hooks into place. Akegata took a deep breath, unsure of why she continued to follow this mysterious and insane man, but she took his hand. At this point, she was washed out from all the events that happened and couldn't even bother herself to care that much what happened next. He probably wouldn't get her killed; they had made it this far after all. Plus, food sounded really good.

The next thing she knew, they were flying through the air as she clung onto Kuro with all her might. She fought the urge to close her eyes. The last thing one should be doing when they are in a dangerous situation is to deny their reality. Awareness of the situation was vital. Each time that she was terrified out of her mind, she knew that she was growing stronger.

So as she let out a stiffened scream, she made sure that was acutely aware of every single detail of the situation. From the few moments they were in the air, thousands of feet above solid ground, until the point where the rolled through the window and into the dining area. The bustling waiters and customers did not even take note of their sudden appearance. The scent of fried food filled the air, dishes clanged together and orders were being yelled, and all Akegata do was smile. They had made it. They were in.

The dining area wasn't anything that special compared to the rest of the ship. There were many long plain tables with a few lanterns at them, a couple elegant ink paintings on the wall, but there hardly was anything else notable. But from the way everybody was eating, the food seemed to make up for the plainness of the decor.

"Let's grab find a spot to sit then, shall we?" Akegata said.

Many people sat at the tables and looked at the both of them curiously as they walked on by. It was time to make themselves social and have some good food. Her heart still raced from before, and she knew after looking death in the eye so many times that she could use a meal that would be remembered for days to come.

KmnbUbN.png

~

Kuro squirmed a bit from the attention they were getting, and decided it was high time to do away with another part of his conspicuous attire. Besides, he rationalized, it wasn't like he could eat with a mask on anyway. The loose wrap joined the jacket on his shoulder, and a few curious eyes turned away, disinterested.

A waiter hurried by, hoisting a platter practically overflowing with sashimi, and Kuro simply couldn't help snagging a morsel or two from under her gaze. Well, perhaps more than two. The stuff was like euphoria to his taste buds.

They found a table just as the last of the juices disappeared into his gut. A small golden bell sat on the low surface, along with a bowl of complementary dining sweets. Kuro immediately gobbled five in succession to temporarily appease his raging appetite, before plucking the bell up by its tassel and giving it a vigorous ring.
As if by magic, a waiter appeared by his side. “Thank you for dining with Yeng's!” he said in a jovial manner. “What will we be having today?

Kuro looked over at Akegata, wondering if he should be polite and let her order first, but he simply couldn't wait much longer.

Choral-lancer fillet, please.” The uniformed man nodded briskly, noting it down. “Your meal comes with full beverage privileges, sir. Serve yourself as you see fit!” he said, sweeping his arms towards the massive casks lining the walls. Kuro raised his brow; Alcohol wasn't fit for a ninja, let alone anyone who wished to keep half their wits about them. But alas, Akegata was eyeing the towering cartons thirstily. He dearly hoped she could hold her liquor, for both of their sakes.

And you, ma'am?” the waiter inquired.

Kuro left Akegata to order, taking the cup with him. He could have sworn he'd seen a tea-brewer somewhere.
A few minutes of searching later and the brewer was nowhere to be found, but he had had no trouble in finding food. Platter of platter passed him by, each more calling to him than the next.
He had to have another bite. He singled out a waiter carrying an especially large platter of skewered meat and closed in, ready to snatch his prize in a flash...
But all of a sudden a powerful hand was clamping down on his arm. Kuro's first reaction was to suppress a yelp, and his second was to pry his arm loose; This was to no avail.

His captor, a tall, armored woman, only increased her grip. “What exactly do you think you're doing, boy?” she asked, more in cold amusement than genuine inquiry. “Trying to fetch yourself a snack? I would have thought street urchins had more than enough scraps to satisfy.” A group of similarly dressed men behind her laughed. Kuro's face was on fire; Less from the mockery, more from the fact he'd been caught in the first place. Time to play along and get himself out of this mess.

I-I'm so very, very sorry ma'am!” he cried, putting on his best impression of a scared child. “I-I was just so hungry, and, you know... I didn't think a little bit could h-hurt-! Please, please forgive me!

The woman leaned into his face, a disdainful sneer upon hers. “You will not do this again. You will not so much as think of doing this again. Are we understood or are we not?” Kuro frantically bobbed his head, and his arm was released with a final warning squeaze. The woman turned and sauntered back to her table, receiving a few congratulatory back-slaps from her comrades.

Kuro rubbed his arm, wincing. That person certainly knew how to hold a grip, he mused. What a shame it was she couldn't hold on nearly as well to her wallet. The coins in his pocket jingled all the way back to his table.

"So,” he said, showing off the loot to his partner, “in case you want a few extra desserts, I got you covered. Actually scratch that, we could probably buy out half the kitchen if we liked.” he chuckled as he dumped the rest of the coins onto the table. Suddenly, a few folded papers slipped free. “He-llo now, what's this?” he asked, flipping one open.

Kuro's eyes approached the size of small tea-saucers as the Shotodan emblem stared back at him. “Uh... Akegata, you should probably see this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back