Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barost had let Garret lead the conversation -- assuming this was someone he knew, while looking around the inside of the structure. At the sound of someone else approaching he followed, and glancing outside looked confused at the cat staring so fixed upon the young boy. Noting Jarred start to walk, Barost grabbed the boy's collar, barely maintaining his grip while his other hand reached for his waterskin -- pouring some into his hand only for it to freeze before he threw it towards the cat, hoping it would run off.

Frowning as its gaze only seemed to turn on him instead, he began dragging Jarred back into the building, motioning for the dragonborn to do the same, "I don't like what either of ya are saying, but I highly doubt that cat's a good sign." He looked at Kaesalor, "You're a bit stronger than me friend, can ya keep hold of this one? Maybe give 'is head a knock or something? Might break him out of whatever's going on, and the best I've got is magic ... don't really want to kill the lad, yanno?"

Soon after Kaesalor took hold of Jarred, the strange cat seemed to shift its focus from the boy to the group -- especially once Garret struck towards it with a dagger. Unsure what to do, but pretty sure thanks to Garret's spell he could land a hit on the creature, Barost strode forward, reaching for it as sparks jumped from his hand towards it. Pulling back he grimaced -- feeling the uncomfortable slimy sensation of kelp. Soon he was joined by the others, he winced as he saw the injuries done to Garret but still tried to help end the fight as soon as possible. Internally he cursed at himself -- his magic favored the storms too much -- he was rather limited in what he could do without alerting the entire town to what was going on.

Thankfully the fight ended quickly after -- the half-elf approached, focusing on the water around the strange creature after it fell apart, laying crumpled on the ground in a heap, freezing it to the ground. Running a hand through his hair he took a deep breath, looking at the group, "So ... what the fuck was that then?"

Kaesalor took hold of Jarred immediately with a nod towards Barrost. When he saw the threat, his first thought was to bring the kid to safety, who seemed to have been enchanted by the creature somehow. He did so, and then left him inside the warehouse with a "You should be safe here." He then joined the fray with battleaxe in hand, slashing the eerily glowing cat after making sure it's not a real cat. As the monster tried to escape him, the Firbolg took another swing at it with his axe, chopping it in half. Or so he thought. Instead, it turned into a mess of kelp lying on the ground. "Anyone care to tell me what was that thing?" He said, staring at the pile of seaweed with a puzzled, contemplative look.

Kneeling next to the frozen mass, Barost was silent, concerned expression deepening into a frown, " ... wait. Damn ... I think I know what this is actually. Threw me off seeing it like a cat, but on ships I've heard stories about 'Kelpies' -- shapeshifting creatures that charm people into drowning so the kelpies can eat them." He looked towards the direction of the lake with a frown, "I don't ... those who disappeared I doubt they're still alive anymore ... but now it makes sense that it was always fishermen."

Still crouched his held his head in his hands, "Those poor men ... jus' tryin' to go out and bring food back for their families and the town ..." Barost sighed, "And with the lake right there ... I don't honestly know if there are more out there or if it would be just the one we managed to bring down."

the young man seemed drawn to the cat. Very unusual for a cat. As his compatriots held onto the boy, and Barost tried to scare it with ice; the creature didn't lose focus...
this is no cat, well I'll fix this. Garret threw one of the salamander blades, it stuck true.
"Guys something tells me this isn't a cat!"
The following battle was short lived thanks to the mighty Kaesalor. Garret however took the brunt of its tentacled assault.
Still nursing his fairly severe wounds, he was only half listening to Barost's explaination about the creatures.
Kelp? Garret could work with that...
heh I'll teach you to try and eat me, you're what's for lunch.

"Do you really think there are more of these things Barost? Do they live in packs? Maybe they are called schools..."Garret had no idea after the beating he took. "I dunno. Who wants to help me turn this thing into sushi?"

Turning to look at Garret, Barost's eyes widened, "Shit! I forgot how injured you got!" He moved to try and look over the fellow half-elf, mumbling, "I don't know how to heal anything..." before realizing he'd been asked a question.

Glancing over his shoulder he shrugged, "There might be -- until we properly check I think I'll probably jus' assume there are to be safe. Can probably check out th' lake ... expect there's a lotta unowned boats at this point." He turned back to Garret, "... what's 'sushi'?"

His injuries forgotten for his true love, cooking.
"My new friend, I am going to change your life forever!" He leaps to his feet in excitement, and solid five seconds pass before the dizziness hits him.
"Here someone take my dagger and chop off some of that kelp, I think I need to take a rest before I try too much." Sliding himself down the wall into a seated position, he secretly wished he had a drink.

When the sound of battle settles, the two teenagers peek out of the warehouse. "Is it over yet?" Asks Thoroth looking confused to the large pile of kelp near the outsiders. The other one, walks out of the building and comes closer. "What even was that? It felt like it was calling me to it, like I needed to come closer." The kid comes forth and pokes the pile of seaweed. "Come back Jarred, we don't know if it's safe out there," the dragonborn comes out and starts trying to pull Jarred out of it, "thanks for saving him."

"Alright! Let's go make some sushi!" A very injured Garret stumbles his way back to the inn and into the kitchen.
After much banging and clanging, and a few choice swear words in halfling. He emerges with a platter covered in what he defines as sushi; there are rolls of numerous assortments; as well pieces of fish resting on rice.
Garret has managed to clean himself up a bit in the process, and seems quite happy with what he has produced. Grabbing a bottle of rice wine from behind the bar, he pours glasses and raises a toast with his friends.

You take a part of the seaweed with you and get back to the Glowing Driftwood, seeking rest and a way to the wounds that were inflicted upon the party by the plant creature.

When you arrive, you find a slightly busier tavern, as part of the village is here having lunch. Abigail waves when she notices you enter, too busy serving the tables to do more than that, and the Innkeeper welcomes you once again. The food is good, although not the fanciest, and the relaxed atmosphere helps you rest after the short battle that took place near Lake Tharrus.

Barost watched Garret work with interest -- he hadn't seen fish served so ornately. Even so he enjoyed the meal, but still somewhat preferred his fish be cooked or fried in a pan. Eventually he speaks up, "So ... since th' ... prior captain is no longer around, I 'spose we should tell the new guy in charge what we found? Though we did eat some of th' evidence. Also, I'm not gonna promise that was the only one that's been hoverin' around town either, until we check out the lake maybe."

Feeling much better with a full belly, Garret gave him a winning smile. "I suppose there is also the matter of an outstanding debt. We were offered pay afterall to rescue the townsfolk. I would have done it for free, but the coin could come in handy,I wouldn't mind picking up a hand-crossbow."

Garret seems to recover well between the good meal and relaxing atmosphere, however he seems anxious to get moving again.

Near the end of your rest, after you finished enjoying the 'sushi' thing prepared by Garret, the movement of the tavern appears to be slowing down as people got back to work. Then, the Innkeeper, Ras, approaches your table and pulls up a chair. "Hello outsiders, and Tallman of course. You three have been around longer than the usual single night most people spend on town. And I've heard some rumors that you are doing many favors for the town, dealing with the monsters that try to crawl into our village." He frowns at the pile of kelp dropped on the corner, assuming there was a good explanation for it. "I'd love to be able to travel myself, but I have to take care of the family business, make father proud and such. The best I can do is hear the tales from those that are able to freely roam our great kingdom." He sighs and pauses for a moment, as if his mind was traveling somewhere else. "Anyway... I need to drop off a package in Bankshire and I can't wait until the next caravan passes by the village. I was wondering if you'd take it there for me, you four seem like people who can walk out there without much issue."

Leaning on the bar, Barost listened to Garret, "Hm ... were we offered though ...? T'be honest, kinda feel like I got swept up in everthin'." He patted his own crossbow with a grin, "Maybe then you wouldn't borrow mine so much."

At their table being joined by the innkeeper, Barost raised an eyebrow, "Eh ... I don't know if some of the group would rather stay around here, but also ... what's the package?" He leaned closer, "With how temperamental certain folks seem to be, not exactly keen to be takin' too many risks these days."

"I wouldn't demand much in the way of payment normally, but I am really beginning to miss my old shield. I don't have the money to buy a new one just yet, so for once, I'd be happy if we were rewarded something at least" Says Kaesalor to the rest of the group as they eat. Now that he is starting to become comfortable with his new comrades, he stutters noticably less when talking to them. However, when the innkeeper sits down to their table, he returns to his usual shy self.

Ras nods politely and pulls out a small wooden box, about the size of a thick book, and puts it on the table. The box itself is mostly plain and not very ornate except for the engraving of a rose in its lid. "I managed to get this and instantly thought of how much my friend in Bankshire would like it. It's a fancy and discrete box, just like him. Inside lies just a couple of gold pieces I have to pay him, and is the reason why I'm asking for trustworthy people to do this instead of a random person that is leaving town on the next caravan." He continues to smile while placing the key on top of the box, then turning to Garret. "Also, Tallmen ever wanted to leave this place, I'm sure he'd love an excuse to do it." He pauses and scratches his rusted silver scales, as if trying to remember something. "That's all I guess... Oh, and of course you'd be compensated by the trip - assuming my friend receives every single coin currently inside of this."

Studying the box, Barost looked it over, "Eh ... I still worry for this lil' town though. I imagine a lotta people might try to take advantage of the ah ... 'shift' in power when it comes to th' guards." He glanced towards Garret at Ras' mention but recalled not long ago the group had attempted to eavesdrop on the very same dragonborn sitting at their table.

Barost lowered his voice, "Apologies for my ... hesitancy, but my ship was often asked to carry small things, trinkets really, for various people who'd rather it be handed off on the shore than in the harbor." He tried to meet the gaze of the dragonborn, "Not tryin' to say you're pullin' the same, but there's a lotta unknowns still. Who's yer friend? How will we find 'im? How will payment be guaranteed? Are we really so trustworthy? I've only been in town for all of maybe two days at this point."

Ras turns back to Barost as he starts to speak in a lower tone. "I understand it, it's not good to accept a job without knowing all of its terms. To be fair, trustworthy isn't the right word for it... and there's a part of the story that I'm not telling you. I owe some people. That's why I can't wait for the next caravan to deliver the money and decided to ask you, because you lot seem capable to make the travel without major trouble with the various monsters that surround us." He glances around before turning back. "So, I need you to take that to the Song & Sorrow Tavern in Bankshire and find this associate of mine exactly five days from now. He's a halfling fellow with sandy hair and a lion tattoo on his right forearm, he'll also pay you after receiving the box."

After a moment of thinking, Kaesalor turns to his friends. "Hmm... I'd say we make sure this kelpie business is handled for sure but then we'd have to do something either way, a job is a job. But it's your call."

"Kaesalor has a point, we shouldn't leave something unfinished." Garret seemed to come out of his stupor a bit, and back to his old self.

"What exactly have you gotten yourself into my friend? How do we know they won't shoot the messenger? Who are these people?"
Garret found himself suspicious, that or there was more going on in his sleepy little town then he realised.

The Innkeeper shakes his head slowly. "All they want is their payment, and this box pretty much settles it. Besides, the drop off point is a pretty busy tavern, especially during its famous night-time shows. Only a fool would try something in a public space like that." Ras says with a sense of confidence, while his claws hit the wooden table rhythmically. "You should listen to the big guy and deal with this... 'kelpie business' - whatever that is. If you decide not to take the job, I'll understand. I might try fishing for some of the competent members of the Wandering Brigade to do it for me."

But wanting to leave his friend high and dry; "no no, we just have to make sure something is resolved first. Scary seaweed creatures, want some?" Garret hold out the plate, a few pieces left.

"I've not made the trip before, how long would it take? Could we leave at first light tomorrow?"

"If you can keep a steady pace, you'll reach Bankshire in three, or three and a half, days of travel. If the four of you are doing this feel free to leave whenever you want, as long the deadline isn't missed, my associate will be there in five days just after the sun has set." The Inkeeper picks up the box and the key from the table and tucks it back into his vest. "If there are no more questions, you know where to find me. Just grab this when you're all set to go."

Slightly perturbed that he wouldn't try his sushi, Garret scarfs the rest down in spite. Feeling more himself then before, he turns to his friends, "well shall we go acquaint ourselves with the new guard captain. Let him know what's up, that sort of thing?"
Standing and buckling back on his sword belt, he seemed ready to charge off on another mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread