Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idagrace takes the gold from the counter, she looks thoroughly surprised by the amount that was given just for a couple of answers. "Oh, thank you very much kind lady." She stares at the coins a bit longer before looking to the firbolg. "I'm afraid not. I'm just a smith, working with fabrics of a tent is outside my area of expertise. Maybe pass by the general goods store later if that's the case."

After saying your farewells to the halfling smith, you head towards the outskirts of town, reaching the same place you stood yesterday morning when searching for cart tracks. After about one hour walking over the hill, you close the distance to the crumbled and abandoned graveyard that Murk had discovered to be inhabited by creatures called "Worgs", although none can be seen from this distance. From this far out, nothing can be heard from inside the ruined mausoleum where they were first seen, nor seen amid the tall grass that surrounds the place.

Kaesalor grabs his shield to be ready if the fighting starts and he begins to look for tracks. Soon he finds them.
"Footprints here... Looks like wolves, only... much larger. The freshest seem to belong to two creatures Might be these... worgs we are looking for. Should we follow them?"

Last edited:
Barost hefted his crossbow as he listened to the Firbolg. "I dunno ... don't they come in packs? Just two feels like too few, worry we end up inna den of 'em or somethin'." He patted the man's arm, "I trust ya though, up to you. I'll just ah ... stay back. I've been super lucky so far, an' startin' to worry that's runnin' out."

"I doubt it's just the two of them as well." Says Kaesalor. After a few moments of silence, he adds "I'm not so sure about this, they are beasts after all. They are just doing their part of nature. I would prefer if we tried driving them away if you really want to rid this town of them."

Running a hand through his hair, the half-elf thought, "Hm ... I can make thunder pretty easily, maybe we could drive them out?"

"Let me just try and convince them first. It has worked before." Says Kaesalor before asking the whole group "I'm ready to go. Shall we?"

With Kaesalor's guidance, the group moves through the grasslands, following the tracks of the two creatures believed to be worgs. The trail of markings wanders and moves around the grassy hills that make up most of Eldercliff, as the creatures also appeared to be on a hunt of their own. The tracks were still fresh, so you followed them for what appeared to be ten, fifteen, twenty minutes, and no sign of the beasts yet. Until, a faint rustling of grass is heard as a hulking wolf-like shape jumps onto you all with a deep growl that cuts through the mostly calm landscape.

Following with the group Barost had attempted to keep an eye out, his crossbow at the ready, and the occasional flicker of lightning across his form. However his attention seemed to be distracted with all the happenings of the day and still was happening as the group had found themselves hunting worgs.

Or more truthfully, had found themselves hunted by worgs. Barost was taken by surprise as suddenly large jaws had surrounded his side, knocking the wind out of the half-elf, yet not managing to knock him down at least -- the sparks from his mage armor causing the animal to pull back at the last second. Placing a hand on the painful injury, Barost wheezed, feeling woozy from the pain. Managing to focus, he called the wind to his side, allowing him to position himself better, dropping his crossbow to his feet he brought his hands together and created a force of thunder, pushing back the beasts. "This ... 's why ... I'm a cat person, damnit!" he gasped, retrieving his crossbow and retreating back from the front line.

Turning back he saw Garret brought down by the beasts and hoping to prevent another blow tried to craft ice around the surviving beast, only for it to flicker and melt before solidifying. Cursing at himself and his weakening focus, thankfully the fight was quickly brought to an end. Hobbling towards Garret he worked to bring his newly bought healer's kit out, working to stabilize his friend. Bandages placed he sat back on the ground, wincing at his own pain. "I swear ... I like Garret, but gods does he make ... some questionable suggestions ..."

While walking is normally hard for someone who balances themselves on a cane. Having to do so on questionable terrain doesn't help in the slightest. And when you are suddenly attack by worgs, well at least you don't have to walk any further.

Pulling her sword out of the cane sheath, Mel stumbles forward to the worg, her attack whipping by the animal. Trying a few more times before she straightens herself. Quickly blocking the worg from damaging Kae in the process. Dealing the final blow on the last worg. Sighing she inspects her outfit, finding dirt building up on the ends. "Well, how fortunate." fixing her cane she walks over to Barost and Garret.

"He is quite the interesting man, and with that is always some downfalls." Smiling at Kae she gestures to the prone body. "If you wouldnt mind, my dear. Could you carry him for us. It would be much appreciated." Helping Barost up, she positions the sailor in a semi-comfortable way around her. Making sure to support both him and herself with the cane. "while there are most likely more of these foul creatures out there, it should be best to return. No use in damaging more of out goods."

Garret found himself lost in a quite wonderful daydream; involving certain grateful bar-maids. Needless to say he was distracted by the beasts sudden onset, and couldn't seem to even swing his sword right.

Before he knew what happened there was immense pain of teeth and he was drifting through a black void... Closer and closer to a bright light in the distance... In that state he hears a voice call out... "I swear ... I like Garret, but gods does he make ... some questionable suggestions ..."

Kaesalor wanted to solve this peacefully. He wanted to, but the worgs left him no choice. So instead, with the growl of a great bear, he grabbed his axe and struck one of the creatures. The worg then tried to go for Barrost, but it made a sloppy mistake and was met with the Firbolg's axe in its skull. At that moment, Kae saw Garret go down, so he hurried to his protection, leaping at it recklessly, not caring for the consequences to him. He struck true, followed by a veritable roar of his. The worg then tried to attack him but Mel blocked the blow and finished the work. Seeing the last opponent fall, the battle-trance left Kaesalor.

"Of course." Answers the Firbolg to Mel's question. He then puts his axe away and places the limp body on his right shoulder, securing him with his free hand and protecting him with his shield. He then nods, signalling he is ready to head back.

After the quick and bloody hunt, the group gets back to the village just as the day is coming to an end and the sky becomes tinted with warmer tones.

Once in Dewfall, you head to the central square, where the reminder in the form of a statue stands exactly where it was left. Looking around the nearby buildings, you recognize the symbol you saw on the witch's robes once before - two piercing blue eyes. As you come forward and open the door, you see a small shrine for the Moonmaiden made mostly out of wood with just a few hits of silver and the ring of a small bell announces your presence. The inside, however, doesn't smell like most shrines or temples you have visited previously, instead the scent of burning incense and a faint herbal smell fill the room, almost calming you down from the stressful experience you just went through.

A side door creaks open as Lorelai comes into this first chamber, greeting you with a smile. "Hello again. Is everything okay?" As her gaze shifts around each of you, trying to find the motive behind your visit, she notices Garret being carried by the hulking firbolg. "Oh, right. Come this way, please." Off to the side, she clears up a table to create space for the half elf to be laid down. "What happened?"

Kaesalor doffs his shield before setting Garret's body down. "Worgs." He says curtly, thinking that's enough of an explanation.

She sighs and picks up a heavy suitcase full of different medical instruments and small vials of greenish brown content. "Oh. I'd be more careful when travelling around the place, there's a reason the king makes even small villages like this one have the Iron Guards on duty." Lorelai masterfully uses different herbal pastes to tend to the bite wounds, before redoing all the bandages Barost did while in the wilderness. At the end, as she waits for Garret's eyes to blink open, she produces two small stones and starts to run her hand through the bard's clothes, making all the small tears fix themselves. "Had a nice sleep, Garret? Next time, you all better watch out, the world has many dangerous things to throw your way."

Nodding appreciatively towards Mel as she helped carry him, the trip back felt like it took much longer, likely because of the pain in his chest and everytime his shirt moved, the sticky blood pulled at his skin.

Wandering into the witch's house with the others, Barost found a chair to sit in, watching the woman work. "Well ... we tried to be careful, but 'parently I'm quite blind ... 'Least I seemed to manage to keep 'im from fallin' apart on th' way back."

"Yes, and I'm sure Garret will be thankful you did that. Who knows what might have happened without the minimum first-aid you performed while out there." Lorelai finishes mending the smaller tears in the clothes and reassembles the suitcase. "Ever since the Horned Ruler got in power trips out there got increasingly more dangerous. I sometimes have to gather more supplies for the elixirs and potions I brew and I need a few guards, just to make sure those monsters don't pounce on me as soon as I'm seen." She finishes storing things away and falls back on a chair by the unconscious bard. "I'm not as powerful as you lot and my magic is too faint for combat."

Garret found himself in a wheat field With rubbing his hands over the tips of the plants... Wait a minute... He thought... I thought I was getting eaten by some great beast? Oh right guess I'm dying or something... Huh this afterlife sure is weird... Then he saw her, an elven woman with green eyes... The colour of spring grass...
"Mom?" could it really be her? What was this place? What had happened?
"You are dying Garret, but now's not your time. Not if your friends have anything to say about it, so stop laying around and get of that dammed table already!"

The world shimmered and vanished, and he found himself starring at the ceiling. His only thought was "owh! Could have used a pillow next time Lorelai. Thanks for fixing the shirt by the by." He quickly found out even trying to sit at this point mad the world spin around once or thrice.

Quickly laying back down, "I take back that pillow comment. This is good."

Chuckling at Garrets antics, Mel turns towards Lorelai. "But your power is beneficial all the same. The town should be grateful to have a healer such as yourself. Without it many would be dead. Our friend here included." Smiling, she opens up her coin bag. "Would you request any payment for your troubles?"

Lorelai chuckles as a response to Garret's comments and turns to Mellis. "No, no, there's no need for payment. You rescued me, consider this repayment of my debt, after all, I wouldn't be able to heal Garret if that sacrifice got through." She lets out a genuine smile, thankful to all of you. "He can rest here if he wants, but I'd think a real bed would be better for the recovery. Usually, it takes time to heal several bite marks.

Hearing mention of potential scars has roused Garret once again, "scars and egregious wounds be dammed! To the tavern for rest, songs must be sung of our great battle. The people must know beast have been brought to quarter!"
Stumbling as he rises, he retrieves his lute and other things. Heading toward the door and by connection the tavern.

"Farwell you magnificent woman! May we meet again when all my blood resides inside my body!"

With Garret's wounds mostly healed, the party heads back to the Glowing Driftwood Inn to spend the night. Garret decides to use these few hours before settling on his room to play for the crowd and make some coin. After many musics played on the lute, and seven silver pieces richer, the half elf heads to bed just as the others did.

In the morning, you make the last preparations for the journey ahead of you and meet Ras at the Inn.

"So, you lot are about to leave now? Any last questions" The dragonborn says as he places both the chest and the key on the bar top. "You have a fair amount of road ahead of you, and not the safest one, that's for sure. Be careful alright, and remember, four days from now at night, Song & Sorrow Tavern."

Waking the next morning, Barost was quite sore from the bite marks on his chest. Frowning at the ache, he slowly got up, dressing himself, looking in the mirror blearily as he smirked, "Almost think at this point I'm going to be covered in gems before I even get a ship ..." Focusing for a moment the inner storm he tended to pull from for his magic felt slightly different ... something to test on the road then.

Working his way into the mainroom and breakfast he paid off his tab, hearing Ras speak he nodded tiredly, yawning before commenting, "Maybe we should have some proof from ya that we're in yer stead. An' I feel we should at least check what all's in there together so we all know what to expect if it's questioned or somethin' happens."

Ras picks up the key and opens the box, the inside of it appears to be shallower than you would imagine to be and is filled with more than twenty gold pieces and a vial of a black liquid. "as you can see, it's just the money that they required, as well as a vial of rare ink that is part of the transaction." He drops the key next to the box in case you want to take a longer look at it. "They know to expect someone to arrive with it, but if it would make things better I can write a letter to make things as smooth as possible."

Peering into the box, Barost took a few looks around it, "Huh ..." he muttered, noting the disconnect between the sides and the interior. With a look towards Ras, "If we're gonna be transporting this ... Rather not be oblivious to everythin'. The letter'll be appreciated though." Glancing around at the mostly empty bar, the half-elf tapped the bottom of the box, noting it sounded different. Lowering his voice, "Ras ... we're already doin' ya a favor an' we're already plannin' to do this ... let's not leave anythin' out, yeah?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread