Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mel smiles, "Its hard to have you in my mind, but not in my sight, father." Returning the hug she ushers the others inside. "This tall man here is Kaesalor, a formable fighter in his own right." Gesturing to the other two. "And these fine gentlement are Barost-" She tightens her hand on the half aquatic elfs shoulder. Before doing the same to Garrett. "And Garrett." Gracefully sitting down, Mel accepts a tea cup.

Last edited:
"Well, it's nice to meet all of you, any of Mel's friends are also my friends." Marmor begins to pour cups of tea and pass them around. "Now, child, what brings you all the way to this boring corner of Eldercliff. This must be so dull compared to the lively courts near the capital." He sips his own tea and turns to the others. "You see, she's always buried in work all the time. Although I can't blame her, her parents are as focused as she is."

Still grumbling the whole way, sparking his fingers, Barost winced at Mel's grip on his shoulder, bowing his head towards her father.

"Appreciate a cup, many thanks," he mumbled, attempting to take a delicate sip from the fine cup -- concerned he might break it by accident. This was definitely not a setting he was used to, course clothing standing out quite a bit compared to most of the group and even Mel's father. Barost raised an eyebrow at Mel, "Well, t'be honest, so far I've mostly seen her fight when we went to rescue the missing folks from the attack."

The bell? What on earth is this about now? Hope that captain has got his ducks in a row.

The spectacle in front of him was unnerving. Garret found his hand on his sword a second before Mel's was on his shoulder.
Execution, I mean I never liked the guy, but I was starting to come round. What the hell was that thing that did this? Screw this, the horned king is bullshit.

I didn't do it for the money, but did we ever get paid for that rescue?

The firm grip on his shoulder and guiding hand led him down the street. The cottage was quaint, Garret found it unusual he had never seen it before, but the prospect of tea was enticing.

Mellis takes another sip of her tea, "Well you see father, my leg has finally healed enough for travel. And as I am not on active duty. Id thought it would be a perfect opportunity to see you again." Smiling kindly at Barost, she nods. "It is true i have yet to do anything other than fight in front of all of you. But I assure you that is not my only talent." Winking, she takes another sip.

Kaesalor is mildly uncomfortable in a stranger's house, but he accepts the tea with a "Th-Thanks". He will then try his best not to break his cup with his oversized hands.

"An attack? Here? People missing? That's not good, not good at all..." Marmor shakes his head and sips from his tea. "Where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Marmor, I was a military strategist during my golden days." He turns to Mel and smiles, his eyes were watering slightly, clearly visible thanks to the thick spectacles. "Fighting might not be your only talent, but you've always enjoyed it. I'm not sure what injury you're talking about, but it's good to see you have healed properly."

Mel simply nods at the mans words. "The attack was done by some Urodeli, they were a part of some cult for this thing called The Current." Grabbing some scones off the table she bites down into one. "Currently we are searching for some missing people. We have a few leads that we are hoping to follow this evening." She takes another sip. "And the captain of the guard was publicly executed by an Enforcer. Specifically by being turned to stone."

The mention of the enforcer gets Garrets blood boiling. "Completely barbaric, all because that horned prick can't look bad!" Garrett's eyes go wide, he had tried to control himself honestly but it just slipped out. He quickly tries to scan the faces in the room,*hope it's not my head on the block next for that.*

"Barbaric, you say? Barbaric would've been exiling him or maybe executing him. I have only seen such pointless cruelty from the so called civilized so far." says Kaesalor with a slight hint of disappointment in his voice.

"Oh... That happened. I'm not sure about how the duke of Eldercliff runs things, but he might be really pissed to send his enforcer to such a small village." Marmor shakes his head slowly and picks up a scone before noticing Garret's expression after talking. "It's okay, child. Some parts of our rulling system are not worth defending all the time, but I would be more careful when speaking things like that out loud, it's not the safest idea."

Garret looks at Kaesalor sheepishly, "sorry, I didn't mean your people Kaes. I just mean it's needlessly violent. I should have chosen my words better." Garret stares into his cup, embarrassed at his outburst. It wouldn't be the first time his temper got him into trouble, probably not the last.

"No offense taken, I'd never refer to my people as barbaric." The Firbolg turns melancholic for a moment as his thoughts shift back towards a distant past. "After all, peace and harmony with nature were our key principles. But it seems not all share these ideas... it seems like some must fight if all want peace."

Being reminded of the morning scene did not boil Barost as it did Garret but instead the remaining tea in his cup quickly turned solid as it became frozen. Sliding it around in his cup he scowled, "Barbaric or not, that was a mess. How're ya supposed to fix something when you basically kill the one who was workin' onnit! And knew what needed doin'!"

He glanced towards Marmor, "Sorry, but it's hard not to be frustrated ... makes it a lot harder to help people 'round here though, and now we've seen how easy it'd be to just get rid of us too. Makes me think the waters're more civil than the land -- least there we had some standards. Drop a man in the sea and let the gods decide, not ..." he frowned as the tea unfroze and he took another sip, "... whatever th' hell that mess was."

Marmor contemplates his own tea, thinking about the news they were carrying. "Most of the time, things are not as messy, but the Duke might have made a wrong move if you are saying that." The old man sips his tea and shakes his head. "They say this is about peace. The King spends most of his time traveling and making sure we maintain our long-lasting peace with all the neighboring nations. If it was avoidable, but it happened anyway, something odd might be going on."

Barost paused at Marmor's words, the wheels turning in his head, "... I wonder who's truly in charge of the enforcers? If the King's away so much ... there's spells for quick messages but even still."

"Its certainly something to do with the duke. Apparently, according to the ex-captain of the guard, they were being underfunded." Mel refills her tea. "The Enforcers had to be informed by someone with some sort of power."

Last edited:
Marmor shrugs. "If direct answers are what you are looking for, you will need to talk to people with more knowledge than this old soldier."

You all finish the tea and leave Mel's father and his cottage behind, walking across town in the direction of the lake. Considering it's way earlier than the first time, the docks are empty as most fishers are doing their job far from the land. You pass by the closed makeshift bar, and slither back through the narrow streets back to the square you visited yesterday close to sundown. The scenery hasn't changed much, there is still only a single row boat at the repair pier and the only noticeable movent is the slight ripple from the lake and the fountain in the middle of the open space.

Once you arrive, you decide to take a closer look inside the warehouse, now that everyone is well-rested, and hopefully find out more about the disappearances. As you open the doors to the bland stone building, the smell of salt and old wood overtake you and the group finds themselves in front of piles and piles of boxes of different shapes and sizes. Inside, you make your way through the rows of wares, trying to find anything out of the ordinary. After reaching the end of the almost fifty feet of storage, you find some broken boxes and a few cloths forming some kind of improvised living space. Inside this small tent-like corner of the building, you see a smaller human male, apparently in his teenage years.

Seeing that you have found him, he gets out of his crouching position and sits up. "What do ya need?" He pushes his long dishevelled hair out of his face and stares at you with deep brown eyes.

"Hello my friend, terribly sorry to interrupt you, but we were just passing through. Strange to find someone living here." Garret approaches the young man with no hesitation. "we are looking into some very strange disappearances in the area and perhaps you can be of assistance?" His tone jovial and non-threatening.

The boy blinks and stares at Garret when he starts talking to him. "The only place I have." He shrugs and glances towards the door before looking back to the half elf. "I saw nothing, but I heard of it. Lots of people talking about it across the village, everyone has a crazy theory they talk about when drunk enough. They say the last one, Mary, was working out there," He points to the wall behind him, roughly in the direction of the lone boat,"but none of us was here to see it."

Garret nods, it must be hard living in a warehouse like this. "Listen lad, do you know the Glowing Driftwood? Do you know Lisa? Go in an tell her Garrett Tallman sent you, and tell her your situation. She should be able to find you work and lodgings get you out of here."
Taking a moment to look around the room a bit more he adds, "besides you wouldn't want the guards to catch you squatting, especially today."

Last edited:
You can see, for a moment, a faint glimmer of hope when Garret says the first part. When the half elf looks around, he follows the stranger's sight. "Don't worry, the captain knows we're here. He does his best to help us without breaking any laws." The boy rolls his eyes when he says the last bit of the sentence.

When the boy finishes speaking, you hear a faint creaking as the door of the warehouse opens. And a voice, even lower than the noise that announced its presence, cries out. "What was that?" The urchin's expression of relief changes to one of worry.

As he tries to go past all of you, while talking back. "What was what? Is everything okay?"

Seeing the panic in his eyes, Garret took off after the youth. Yelling over his shoulder, "come on."
The other voice seemed scared, something wasn't right, was it the source of these missing townspeople?

If you follow the boy back to the door of the warehouse, you find him hugging and talking to the same young brown-scaled dragonborn you rescued from the urodelus outpost, Thoroth. "Don't scare me like this Roth, I thought something happened to you out here." Thoroth seems even more scared than his human friend. "I'm not sure Jarred... I felt something in the back of my mind, I can't describe it." Thoroth tries to look around while Jarred lets go of him and does the same. "I don't see anything out here, the square is as empty as it alwa..." Jarred's sentence is cut short as his eyes glaze over and he stares at a shadowy alley filled with darkness, as the morning sun does not shine enough light on the narrow passage. The human's eyes are locked on that point, and he starts slowly walking towards it.

Those of you with darkvision see a cat in the alleyway that Jarred is looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread