• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tale of Two Survivors { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Nathaniel Matthews
Former Firefly | 21 | Current location ;; North Dakota

When he finally got that boiling pot of nonsense to at least a simmer, he shook his head, took in a deep breath, and then let his head fall over Alex’s shoulder once again. His arms were loose but still holding onto him. “I forgive you,” he managed between the ghosts of the laughs that still crept along the back of his throat. “And because you apologized so nicely, I guess I can keep going.” But then his head didn’t move, because the laughter was one of those great releases that also hurt, so instead he was just going to let that ride out. However, he did promise that he could keep the massage happening, which meant that he did. Now with his arms crossed over Alex’s chest, he resumed.

Alexander Brennan
Former Seraphite | 19 | Current location ;; North Dakota

There was something ridiculous about what they were laughing about. Something so simple as magic fingers and massages. Alex finally managed to control his laughter and he heard Nate control his own laughter. Alex felt Nate's head fall over his shoulder, his arms loose and still holding him. "I accept your forgiveness" Alex said with a small laugh himself. Alex smiled, hearing Nate's words that he'd keep going. "I appreciate you continuing the massage. He promised the massage would continue, even with his arms crossed over Alex's chest.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Oh good, I would hate to have gone to all that trouble to forgive you just for you to not to accept it.” He slowly raised himself up which also meant that he slowly uncrossed his arms until they were hanging around the scapula and just in general more higher up on the chest than lower down on the shoulder. Even though he was no longer all by laying on him, he was still significantly closer than he had been when they started this. Not that he noticed that. That was the beauty of being a medic and also being inordinately comfortable with another person. He never did really know how close he was all the time. “So, sweet monkey man, what else shall we do today, or is this the plan? Because I feel like I could probably do this all day, but I would hate for you to get bored.”

Alexander Brennan

He laughed hearing Nate's words. Alex wasn't sure how he'd found Nate, but he was glad he had. "Yes, it was a lot of trouble for you I'm sure." Alex said with a laugh. He felt Nate uncross his arms and bring them higher up on his chest. Alex realized that Nate was significantly closer than when they started the massage. Alex didn't mind, not at all. He heard Nate speak, and he blushed when he called him 'sweet monkey man' and glanced back at him. "I don't have anything else planned today. I can sit here all day, not getting bored." Alex admitted, his cheeks hot as he flushed knowing what he said.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate’s massage may have become more like rubs at this point, but they were still deeper and more aggressive than simple rubs. Well, not so much aggressive. He was not much of an aggressive kind of person. That was probably obviously. But he was still very knowledgeable in the human body, which meant that he instinctively did such as rubbing in highly specific ways that were meant to relax someone. “Then I guess we’ll just do this all day. Sitting. Talking. Bonding.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex felt the rubs from Nate and he leaned into it. He actually felt himself relaxing further at the same time. He could feel that Nate knew what he was doing with the rubbing or massaging. "I'm good with that." He said, though what did he want to talk about? He really didn't have much to talk about though. He was rather content with enjoying the quiet and peace. Almost like the world was frozen around them and them alone.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Yes, I can tell that you are.” Nate smiled from behind, realizing that in this moment, he had so much control. He had all of the control. He could change exactly how this moment went. That was a strange feeling. He was not sure how to feel about that.

“Remember when I told you I used to climb trees?” he asked though he was sure that he did. It had not been that long since the conversation. That was a conversation yesterday. “I was never as good as you, obviously, but I used to climb all the time. I got to the top of a tree once. I was nine. It was so cool. I could see everything. Problem was that I didn’t know how to get down.”

Alexander Brennan

He chuckled hearing Nate's words. He was completely relaxed, enjoying the contact. Alex was more than willing to go along with whatever happened at this moment. Alex tilted his head, indicating that he was listening as Nate started talking again. "Yeah?" He said as well, giving a verbal indication. He listened to Nate explain how he got to the top of the tree, yet couldn't get down. "Well, aside from the obvious way of getting down, I can help you learn how to get down safely" Alex offered.

Nathaniel Matthews

“That is very sweet of you, though it didn’t do much help me when I was nine.” He remembered the day. He made it so far up, and his mother was standing at the bottom telling him that they had to go. They needed to get back to the rest. But how did he get down? He tried to go the way that he got up, but he was scared. And he was so high up. “I followed Ben. That’s what I get for following him. Always trouble.” He paused to breathe that in and out. “I think that’s the reason I stopped climbing trees. I slipped. Fell. Broke some things.” He shrugged. “It hurt pretty bad. I was done with trees. I would like to not do that again. But when I was watching you earlier, it looked like everything I missed. So, yes, I think that would be nice.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex knew they couldn't change the past, but maybe they could prevent that from happening again. "I mean, of course it didn't help when you were nine" He laughed. He could hear the pause after he mentioned Ben. "I'm gonna be honest Nate, I think I broke nearly every bone in my arms and legs working on climbing trees. I was glad that we had healers otherwise I'd probably not be here" He said with a laugh. "Besides, if I can teach you the right way down, then you shouldn't hurt yourself that bad again" He added, looking back at Nate with a smile. "I would love to have you join me in the trees" He finished.

Nathaniel Matthews

It was reassuring to hear that Alex also broke things when learning. It made him feel like maybe he had not done something wrong. Maybe his nine year old self would have liked to have known that too. In fact, his nine year old self would probably like Alex in general. “Can I ask you a more personal question? Because we can’t so much learn how to climb down trees right now, unless you would like to drag me up it.” He laughed at the vision. “That was me when I was nine. I mean I can tell you more, and I probably will, but what were you doing when you were nine? And you don’t have to tell me anything that makes you uncomfortable. Just, um, who were you?”

Alexander Brennan

Alex nodded when Nate asked if he could ask a more personal question. Alex thought about who he was at nine years old. "Who was I at nine? I was a handful according to my mom. It was me and two other kids. Yara and Lily. Well, he goes by Lev now. We were practically inseparable at that age. It was usually me and Lev who caused the most, neither of us really feeling like we fit in with our group. I was constantly climbing trees and they'd cheer me on. It was great, until I kept having issues getting down. It was then that I decided that I didn't want to keep breaking bones."

He started talking and he didn't seem to stop. "As we got older, we didn't grow apart but we were assigned to different things. Yara and I were warriors, Lev was supposed to be a wife to the elders from what I'd heard from Yara. The last thing I remember was her explaining how he felt and his preferred name." Alex didn't know what happened after that, all that he knew was what he'd learned before he left. He still hoped that they were both okay. "In short term, I was a brat that didn't know how to behave" He added with a chuckle.

Nathaniel Matthews

“You were an unruly child?” He asked incredulously. “You and your unruly friends?” He leaned around him so that he could better face his companion. He smooshed himself around, using Alex’s arm as leverage to keep himself steady. “That is beautiful! Did you do all the dastardly things? Drive everyone crazy?” He shoved a hand into Alex’s hair, fingers running along the top of his head. “It’s just so strange to think that you of all people would be a little trouble making brat. You’re so sweet and kind. If not pessimistic. Have you always been pessimistic?”

Alexander Brennan

Alex laughed, hearing the incredulous voice from Nate. "Yes, I was. We tended to pull pranks on the older warriors, or drive my sister crazy with stupid stuff." Alex admitted. "Some of our pranks were so elaborate that we actually got attention from the elders. Sometimes I wonder if that was why they chose Lev as a 'wife' because they knew about us." He added. Some part of him felt bad about that, and he'd probably feel worse if he knew what happened after he'd left. "I wasn't pessimistic until I realized just how close minded my group was. Males married females, had kids and so on. Nothing else was allowed. You couldn't change who you were." He added, softer, even though he felt Nate run his hands along the top of Alex's head.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate listened, intrigued. He wished that he could have known him when they were younger. He would have loved to have seen these silly pranks or even been a part of them. When he was younger. He never did anything like that. They did not have that kind of time. But he also was very busy helping even that young.

He frowned at the last of that. That was a horrible way to live. People should not be shoved into something so small like that. He maneuvered himself so that he was in front of Alex, legs a bit odd and everywhere so that it was almost like he was sitting in Alex’s lap. “I don’t believe in that,” he said, shaking his head minutely. “I don’t think we should ever force anyone into something like that. People should get to be whoever they are. Do what they are called to do.” He smiled before the last. “Be with who you want to be with regardless of gender.”

Alexander Brennan

He watched as Nate moved so that he was sitting almost on top of Alex's lap. He looked at Nate, listening to him. He wished that he'd known Nate's upbringing instead. "I wish I could say I was lying Nate" He started, his eyes looking at his lap. "That was why I left, I couldn't handle the old fashioned thinking. I didn't, couldn't marry a girl. Neither of us would've been happy, and it wasn't fair. But you couldn't not marry, so there really was only one way out. Leaving it all behind." He said softly. "It was then that I realized even more that my people was not where I belonged" He added.

Nathaniel Matthews

Though it was true that most people seemed to believe in this male and female relationship mentality, Nate found it archaic. Yes, for repopulation of the world, perhaps he could see how that may be relevant, but when it came to marriage, a concept that was meant to join individuals who wished to become one unit, gender was irrelevant. People were people.

He placed a finger under Alex’s chin and raised his gaze up to him. With that slight smile that dotted his eyes, he wished to combat that part of the memories. “Who you are is meaningful. Who you choose to be is equally as meaningful. Who you choose to keep with you is also meaningful. But their body doesn’t matter.” He raised his hand and touched Alex’s head. “It’s the person who matters.” He let his smile slide into a wide grin. “I’m glad you left people who couldn’t see that.” He ran that hand down his hair and behind his ear. “I am sad for your friend, though. Lev. I am sure life there is unbearably hard for him.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex knew the purpose behind the male and female relationship, but if neither is happy, then why marry? Why go through something so permanent? It would lead to heartbreak on both sides in the end. He was so busy thinking about that, he didn't expect the finger under his chin. Alex lifted his head with the finger and looked at Nate. He saw the smile, and couldn't help but give a shy smile back.

His cheeks flushed red as he listened to Nate. He knew that, he had left because he knew that people are people and should be who they are and love who they want. He blushed a little harder when Nate touched his head. That smile turned into a wide grin and he nodded, knowing that he'd done the right thing. He felt a shiver down his spine, a weird tingle that made his heart rate increase when Nate ran the hand down his hair behind his ear. Alex's face fell when Nate brought up Lev. He had a fear that the boy was dead because of trying to be who he was supposed to be instead of who he'd been told he should be. "I hope he's okay, he and I were close. He was like a brother to me." Alex admitted.

Nathaniel Matthews

Almost. He almost got him back. Nate shouldn’t have brought his past into the conversation. He thought maybe talking about something so distant would be safe, but with something so deeply ingrained like this, he should have known it would make Alex sad. Nate hated that. Deeply, in his core, hated how his face fell at the thought of the horrors that came from real people who treated others like that. How his eyes lost that twinkle of excitement and were replaced by the twinkle of despair. All Nate wanted was to wipe it all away. Bring back that sweet monkey man who jumped through the trees as easily as another might walk on the flat ground.

“You got out,” Nate reminded him. “And if you got out, maybe so did he. Maybe you inspired him to leave. There is always hope. There is always light in the darkness.” He placed his hand on Alex’s chest, palm and fingers gently but solidly pressed against him. “That’s you, remember? My light in the darkness. I choose to believe that you could be his too.“ He kept his smile up to keep Alex up as well. He willed that burden of Alex’s to be his too. They could share it. “And you get to be free. Be whoever you are. Be wherever you are. With whoever you want. Anywhere, everywhere. You get to be the bright and beautiful you.” Both of his hands enveloped both of Alex’s. “And that’s how we find peace. With stories like yours.”

Alexander Brennan

He hadn't meant to drag the mood down. He knew he looked sad, and he was for a moment. He knew how his group treated people that thought, felt or acted differently. He swallowed hard, looking at Nate when he started talking. Alex could only hope that Lev had gotten out, and could be happy again. "I did, and I hope he did too." Alex agreed. Lev was head strong but he was also tied to the group, more so than Alex. His weakness had always been his mother, which could be an issue. Alex felt Nate's hand on his chest. He was Nate's light? Really? He smiled softly, hearing Nate's words. "I am free, here with my medic. Guiding us along the road." He agreed, feeling his hands wrapped into Nate's.

Nathaniel Matthews

His medic. That may have been a thought Nate had on his own earlier, it was different hearing him say that out loud. His medic. After being so good about keeping calm and collected, the words sent a swirl of emotions down his throat and into his stomach. This was silly. Of course he was Alex’s medic. They were the only two traveling together, and all he seemed to do was nurse some part of Alex back to normal. Or at least massage it. So of course he was his medic. That was plain to see. But it was also kind of exhilarating. He liked that maybe Alex did not have to share, and that was ridiculous, because he had to share. When they found other people, he had to share.

Right?
Oh man, this was about to get complicated wasn’t it?

Nate couldn’t help but smile at these thoughts and his words. He poked ALex’s nose. “That’s right. Now, I believe that it is hug time, because you need it, and I always need it, and you can’t stop me.” He pulled apart their hands and wrapped his arms around his monkey man, enveloping him in a hug that he hoped could tell him how much Nate was glad to have him there with him. Guiding him along the road. Not just because he would be utterly lost without him, but because his life seemed so much better with him.

Alexander Brennan

Alex hadn't really realized what he'd said at first, before he flushed when he thought about it. He'd called Nate his medic. As in his own, like he didn't want to share him with anyone else. That was true of course, he didn't want to share Nate. He knew that and he accepted it, even though it caused a werid feeling in his chest. He smiled at Nate, laughing softly when he poked Alex's nose. "I can go along with that" Alex agreed with a soft smile. He didn't want to stop Nate. He felt Nate let go of his hands and then felt his arms wrap around Alex. Alex wrapped his arms around Nate, resting his head on Nate's shoulder. He could feel how much Nate was glad for him, and he would be right there beside Nate the entire time.

Nathaniel Matthews

He slid his face against Alex’s in what he would eventually see as a very catlike gesture. Their cheeks ran hot against each other, and it only made his fervor more. His arms constricted around Alex like a snake around prey. He should have been careful. He should have been thinking about the injuries they both had. He should have been considering exactly what he was doing, but the only thing going through his mind was that he needed this, though which he was in question, Nate was not sure. Nate needed it. Alex needed it. Everyone needed it, but in this moment, only they got it. It was like they were the only two people in the world, because the rest of it died in some sort of apocalypse neither of them was alive to see. They were children of the aftermath. Nothing could bond them closer together than that.

It took every ounce of his willpower not to ram his entire being against his guide. He had no idea why he felt so strongly about being close, and he certainly did not understand why their current closeness was not enough. Stop being so needy, Nate. That is how you run off your only friend in the entire world. That’s how you lose your light.

“You know,” he said, trying not to laugh at himself in fear that it might sound like he was laughing at Alex, “I don’t normally come across this strongly with just anyone I meet in my travels. I promise I don’t walk around being like, ‘Hello, yes, you are my new guide and therefore we must become instant best friends.’ I just wanted you to know that I have met many, many people throughout the years, and I have never been so clingy and forward.” And then he laughed, because it was the stupidest thing he ever said out loud.

Alexander Brennan

Alex felt Nate slide his face against Alex's, their cheeks ran against each other. He felt Nate's arms constrict around him. It made him feel like he was the only one in the world for Nate. It was just him and Nate on their own. He could feel that Nate had been growing closer to Alex, sometimes literally. He didn't mind. He was happy, he was content, and if he was being honest, had been trying not to be so clingy himself. Especially after Nate got hurt.

Alex brought his head back to look at Nate when he talked. "Is that so? I just bring out that part of you? Should I take that as a compliment?" Alex asked with a small chuckle. "I haven't met anyone outside of my group so whatever I do, it's new to me" He admitted, looking at Nate with a smile.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate considered saying something silly and self-deprecating. Something like ‘Yes, that’s exactly right, you come along and I am reduced to being the fool I apparently was always meant to be,’ but then Alex went and said something that made this whole situation even funnier. He knew that Alex had been traveling for a significantly less time that Nate, and he knew that there was no reason for him to have had a lot of contact with many people from outside his group, but it never occurred to him that he was the first person for him to really interact with.

Nate also pulled his face away, goofy grin impossible to hide. “Oh, so you’re saying that you would have been like this with just anyone who walked by? I just so happened to be the first one. Wow, I feel very special.” The sarcasm was almost masked by the chuckles that sprinkled through his words.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back