Take Back the Crown

0F3YkCXm.jpg

Azriael

Azriael slumbered, half aware of her surroundings. She wandered through a library filled with shelves, each bearing countless volumes. She ran her hand over the spines, feeling ancient memories flicker through her mind. Glancing around, there were countless millions of shelves, each holding hundreds of books. Each book was a day in her life, a minute fraction of her existence, created as a way of staying sane. She had built the idea of this place many thousands of years ago as part of a ritual she had created to keep her sense of self intact. It was a Greater sorcerous working, made before she had achieved her mastery of the art. Even now full comprehension of her self remained impossible. The Working was too potent, and the magic raised by it too wild. She made do, even though given time and effort she could likely correct the issue. These days it was another amusement. She wandered between countless shelves, filled with countless lifetimes, browsing aimlessly.

Here was a favorite memory. Her hand paused on the book that held the day she Raised her Tower, pulling it from the shelves. As it fell open into her hands the library faded away into memory made manifest. There had been preparation beforehand, and work to polish it after, but this had been the moment of triumph. She breathed in deep, centering her self in the circle and closing the chalked circle.. The air around her boiled to life, filling with vicious energy. The sky above her had been clear moments before, but dark grey smoke, that seemed caught somewhere between shadows and mist, billowed up into the air. She glanced around, taking in the mountain peak she stood on, chosen for this ritual. It was a cold and barren place. If weather had been an issue for her, she would have frozen to death in minutes, but that required more mortality than she had possessed for some time.

She reached into the air and pulled from it her ritual dagger, crafted from obsidian and raven feathers. She opened a small careful cut on the back of her arm, squeezing out a drop of black viscous blood before it closed up again. The drop fell onto the circle below, and for a moment held together, forming a nearly perfect half sphere on the ground. Then the surface tension broke and it soaked into the circle. The eldritch patterns etched into the stone lit with a strange purple-black light. To most people it would be impossible to look into, its sheer other-worldliness being sickening. Azriael stared into it, reveling in it's unknowable patterns. Even her mind could not see the depth of the patterns, only their ever unsettled outer nature.

Tearing her gaze away from the light of the circle with a physical and mental effort, lest she should be absorbed, she looked into the boiling clouds overhead. She raised her arms above her heads, extending her reach into the clouds above with her magic. Everything save for the clouds and the light seemed to go still for a time as Azriaels eyes closed. When they opened again her hands formed fists and pulled down. Energy, seeming like slow moving lightning, fell from the sky, pouring down and seeming to pull the clouds down with it. The energy seemed to pour into a mold, in the brief moment it was visible. Then the falling energy seemed to remember it was a close relative to lightning and everything went white as light poured forth, and an immense crack of thunder tolled. When the air cleared an immense tower floated before her, more than a hundred feet tall, and nearly forty feet in diameter. Yet potential energy still roiled. This had taken power, effort and arcane materials, but the blood and the eldritch power were needed for what came next. She reached her right hand out towards the tower and magic seemed to pour from her as the circle upon which she stood went dark. The tower melted away, and from the space where it stood came a small black raven gliding down to a perch on Azriael's shoulder. It preened as Azriael smiled and smoothed its back-feathers.

Azriael stepped back from the memory, putting the book back on it's shelves as the whole construct faded away. Everything faded back into shadows as she awoke, still warm and stretched out over the back of the dragon-blessed witch's neck. That particular casting was a favorite memory. It had been one of her first and most powerful major workings, creating both the tower, and the living creature that both was, and was not the tower. It had taken years of work to prepare the ritual and find the materials beforehand, but even now Kevirre, the raven, was somewhere out there. When she took on human form again she would call to them and see how they had spent the intervening years. She could call to them now, but she had not yet truly tired of this form, and seeking someone foolish enough to release her still held amusement. She rolled off Svetlana's neck, landing primly on her feet before stretching in a distinctly cat-like manner and glancing around the room. Svetlana was helping Yaroslav dress in what looked to be fresh finery, which offered little of interest. She slunk quietly away, not bothering to note it verbally.

Azriael moved padded through the building following various scent trails. Eventually she found her way back to the bulk of the group, getting dressed in yet another room. She ambled in, taking in the room with a quick glance. Most of the rest of the group seemed to be here. She stretched again, in that uniquely feline manner complete with the stretched out back, raised hind legs, and flat to the ground torso. When she straightened up she shook herself and her fur rippled oddly. The ripple seemed to spread, and for a brief moment reality itself seemed to ripple around her, resolving into a brief flash of movement that resolved into a large glossy black raven perching smoothly upon the males changing room screen, although facing outwards. She reached for the subconscious memory of what she had heard while asleep, and connected voices and names they had called each other with her constant magical sense of her surroundings. The male who had just emerged from behind the screen fully dressed was Hjallmar, and as she glanced around the room she attached names to faces, as well as getting a more concrete senses of the magics connected to each person. She preened a little, drawing her beak through feathers that she had not worn for several years. This form as always a little uncomfortable, perhaps for what it represented inasmuch as what she was a very very long time ago. It remained an integral enough part of her too effect her magic, and to allow her to take on this form even when transformed and bound, although the binding stayed. Around her neck there was still a little centimeter wide black collar. When she spoke her voice was only a few steps away from a rasping caw, "Preparing for a ball are we? Interesting. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Azriael, and I will be joining you on this journey for a time."

✧ agitha edelweiss ✧
divider__6__by_ladymidnightsolace-da3ygsj.png

Aggie closed the door behind her and pressed the flowers to her chest, closing her eyes and inhaling blissfully. Trotting over to the bunk that she claimed, she tenderly placed the flowers onto her bed and knelt down to retireve her bags. Searching through those, she picked up a brown paper bag that was folded nicely on the bottom of her satchel. The woman brushed her fingers down the front of it before opening up and letting the fabric fall into place. Holding it up high, her face went dark as she placed it down and undressed quickly, stepping into the dress. It took a minute or two, but she managed to get herself into the fabric, give for the buttons in the back. Giving a huff, she did her best to button herself up, but the sheer amount was just impossible to do herself.
Figuring she could go and do her hair instead, she went and did so.

She wasn't much for pulling her hair up. Letting her back length hair go in long, loose waves. Pulling two large pieces of hair over her shoulders, she clasped them in place with gold ribbon. Admiring herself briefly she went and looked down, smoothing down the lacey fabric and smiling to herself. Now; to get buttoned up. Pausing for a moment before she left the room, she looked back at the wildflowers that Ashlar gave her and got an idea. Rushing over she picked a few from the stems and tucked them into her hair, now feeling more complete. Trotting out she went into the room that most were getting prepped up in and peeked in, knocking on the frame before entering,"H-hey. Could someone button me up then when they can? I can help with anything then too ! Just...theres more buttons than I thought there was. " stepping out, she held her back together to prevent anything from falling out.

Elegant-Free-Shipping-Custom-Made-Black-Lace-Mermaid-Prom-Gowns-Long-Sleeve-Evening-Dresses.jpg
aggie_dress_by_stargrenade-db2c4oa.png

@all​

Oceana was shocked that Kacel'la was suddenly congratulating her and then holding out a beautiful circlet.
"F-for me? Wow" the elf whispered.
She had no words and so just stared into Kacel'la's eyes trying to convey her gratitude.
When she spoke next her voice was hoarse with emotion,
"It's been so long since someone acknowledged my name day.
Tapadh leat, Kacel'la. Truly."
She turned the circlet over in her hands marveling at the splendid craftsmanship. Then ever so gingerly placed it on her brow. And swiped at her eye with the back of her hand.
L1d1ja L1d1ja

Last edited:
Smelling the prickly scent of dark arcana, Oceana swiveled to regard this new entity. A raven? She tilted her head and sighed, no longer bothered nor impressed by those wishing to join them. However she made a mental note to stay away from animal bodies that housed otherworldly spirits even more vehemently than before.
She walked over to where Aggie was standing and did a rotating motion with a finger, her expression neutral but her eyes glowing with happiness.
"Turn around, lass. I'll get your buttons for you."

Across the room where Valerie was STILL heckling folks, the alchemist stopped laughing abruptly to stare at the talking raven.
"Who knew we had such... peculiar.. pests flying about?" She said lowly, face in a light scowl. Then she abruptly shrugged and huffed another laugh.
"Oh well. Not as much my problem as all of yours."
She turned to her girls bustling about the room.
"Quickly, my dears! No doubt Jax is already stalking the halls fuming about being only an hour early-!"
"Miss Valerie." Came a deep voice from the doorway. Ser Fionaine, one of Jauquilinne's lieutenants marched into the room. He was nearly as tall as Bo with smoothe, dark hair.
A small scar split through the left side of his lips. A single imperfection on a face that sent women a-swooning. He cut a handsome and imposing figure even in his leather training armor. Everyone stopped to stare. Even Oceana looked over to acknowledge his presence.
There was a glimmer of fear in his eyes.
"The Commander has just returned from the prison. We had to let Marakov off. His brother-"
"That's enough, my dear" Valerie whispered but it was more a command, "Do you not see we are in pleasant company at the moment?"
Fionaine's eyes narrowed at the insinuation.
"The commander wished for your presence. She advised it might take some convincing."
The alchemist grinned wickedly.
"So she asked a blabbering fool like you, then?"
A smug smile suddenly split the lieutenant's face and he tried to hide it in his shirt collar. He seemed surprised that he himself had smiled.
"Alright. I'll go. If only to shut you up."
Fionaine coughed, regaining his poise.
"She said you might say something just so."
A bark of delighted laughter escaped the redhead.
"Of course she did."
"Well played, my dear." She mumbled to the air as she strode towards the door.
She turned back for a moment. "The carriages will arrive soon, in the courtyard. Hurry if you don't want Jax to have your hide."
@ all

Kacel'la was used to the fact that people often reacted with joy and a bit of gratitude towards gifts. After all, that was kind of the obvious reaction one would have to something like this. However what she did not expect is the fact that her actions would cause Oceana to almost tear up.
"Prashau, Oceana, I'm glad that you like it." She mumbled out, and mentally kicked herself. 'You're welcome', really, was that the best reply she could come up with. She was almost ridiculously relieved when something drew Oceana away. The elf decided to go find Jax just like Valerie had suggested, thus making her escape from the changing rooms to avoid any other awkward encounter.

"You look as splendid as ever." Dorian's words almost made Kacel’la jump a couple feet in the air. Instead she settled on swiveling on her heel to stare reprochefully towards him.
"And you look like some dark magister right out of a tale."
It was true enough. Dorian's outfit was all black on a black with only a little lighter grey, simple, yet not without its beauty. The only color on him was a set of toxic green gems that acted like buttons for a thin chain that crisscrossed between them and held the top vest closed.
"And he enjoys it." Garrett grumbled, and Kacy couldn't help but guffaw at just how awkward the paladin seemed in his own outfit. His, unlike Dorian's, mostly white and thus a bit flashier, and that was obviously one of the sources of discomfort.
"Don't worry, you look great too." The familiar declared as he patted Garrett's shoulder in an almost comforting manner, and now Kacel’la couldn't hold back her giggling as the mage looked even more peeved and grumbled something under his breath as a reply.
"Stop torturing the poor man, Dorian." Kacy grabbed Dorian's arm to drag him away. "The gala will do that well enough by itself, and we should head for the courtyard instead of cluttering the hall."

OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77

✧ agitha edelweiss ✧

Aggie perked as Oceana offered to do her buttons, giving the woman a look before turning around and pulling her hair up to show the buttons,"Everyone looks so lovely tonight! I hope you all are as excited as I am; this would be a first for me. " she allowed the elven woman to do her buttons before looking up at the man that stood in leather armor, a scar adorning his face. She couldnt help but to shy her eyes away from the man, his height unsettling very slightly.

It wasn't very long when she heard the pitterpatter of claws and paws and distant giggling, only to see Pippa burst through the doors and under the Ser's legs.
/ Aggie ! The handmaidens; they will not stop!/ he slipped behind her.
Looking down at her familiar, she snickered to see him in a little doggie suit,"Aww look at the little gentleman !" leaning down, she picked up the corgi and held him up, his short stumpy legs extended and his face full of misery.
/ Do not encourage them...please...Agitha. /
/ This is the least you deserve for being such a vile little thing. And if you bite me I drop you./ " Look at your little bowtie, what a refined little man. " she cooed and placed him down, in which he sat down and sulked at himself, grumbling as Aggie gave him a little pat behind the ears.
She knew he hated when she gushed over him, such a massive beast of power, stuck in a small body and power snuffed painfully.

After a moment she turned to Oceana and smiled,"Thank you!" she smoothed her own dress down and tugged at one of her lacey sleeves, nerve finally hitting her. Growing up at her mage school, there was never time for pleasantries and fancy go outings. Would she stick out like a sore thumb? Did she have to curtsy or bow? What about dances? Was it required. "Gods above."she said under her breath.Lacing her own fingers together she looked over to the door where Kacel'la had left with Dorian about something about carriages or the courtyard? Hmm.

@L1dj1a @OIKaJa77​

Seeing some of the people leave the dressing room, both Hjalmar and Ashlar had the same idea of following, assuming that's where they needed to go. Neither of them wanted to be standing around awkwardly waiting for orders.
When Hjalmar realized that Ashlar was walking next to him, he scowled.
"You look quite handsome." The taller man stated genuinely, "But you also look quite out of place and very irritated by it." He laughed lightly, but then his smile faded, "Or perhaps it's from my presence, not your outfit."
When Hjalmar didn't reply, Ashlar decided on leaving him alone until the boy finally sighed, "It's just the outfit." He bluntly stated, perhaps feeling slightly bad for treating Ashlar poorly.
"Oh, don't be so considerate. I'm annoying as hell, and I know it." Ashlar laughed, "I'm invasive, snoopy, and I ask far too many personal questions."
At this, Hjalmar smiled slightly and Ashlar continued, "I think we got off on the wrong foot, which is my fault entirely. Your past really isn't my business, I shouldn't have pried. I know better than most that there are memories and experiences that are difficult to discuss. I apologize." Ashlar said, thinking of what he and Bo had discussed earlier on the trail.
Hjalmar was quiet for a moment, but eventually finally said, "I forgive you."
Ashlar grinned, "Thank you, Hjalmar," he said, "If you want to talk to me about your past, then you shall do so on your own time- or not even at all, if that's how you want it to be. I don't want to be considered distrustworthy or unreliable by anyone in this group." He took a deep breath of relief. But sadly, Hjalmar was only one of many in the group that disliked the poor fellow.

They were both silent the rest of the way, though it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. They exited the manor and flocked to the others in the courtyard. Svetlana and Yaroslav were already waiting. The ginger haired man was stuck in a fancy wheelchair, and he didn't look very happy about it. He sulked in his seat, itching at the uncomfortable outfit Svetlana made him wear. His hair was pulled into a clean pony tail which showed the true length of his hair.
"Why do I have to go a gala when I'm stuck to a chair and can't even dance?" He grumbled.
"Oh, come now, Yaro. Even if you could walk, you wouldn't dance nor want to go to the gala." Svetlana countered, "You're going because you still heed your wise grandmother's advice."

"You all look so great." Kacel'la clapped her hands together as more people came up to her and the two men besides her. A part of her mind felt a bit guilty about the fact that she was planning to pull quite a prank on Ashlar, but she knew that the chance was a bit too good to pass off. However it seemed that not everyone was quite as excited about the gala as the elf was, as Yaro seemed to have the same opinion about the party as Garrett and he was currently looking like he was seriously considering leaving if only anyone would let him.

"Don't worry about the gala." Kacel'la chuckled. "I'll keep you company. We can laugh about how terrible all the people in their finery would do if they were in our shoes. Or maybe we can see how many pass out when we recount a hunt or two in all the gory details." She said trying to get a smile out of the grumpy man.
"That wouldn't be very nice." Dorian remarked from beside her, and rolled his eyes when Kacel'la responded with nothing but a line of elvish that with her soft smile and tone didn't sound quite as crude as the words truly were. “Kacy, I think you’re old enough to say that in a language everyone will understand.”
She gasped in fake offense. “I would never do that, I’m a lady!”
Neither Dorian nor Garrett could keep a straight face at that, snorting.
“Shut the fuck up you idiots.” Kacel’la snapped in fake annoyance, making the two men laugh even more.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Last edited:

✧ agitha edelweiss ✧

Everyone seemed to be gathering into the courtyard so she did so, not before getting slightly lost. She had Pippa on a little leash and he looked angry, shooting angry messages up at Aggie as she greeted the others. They all looked so good! Smiling and taking seat on one of the garden benches, she let Pippa loose to explore the courtyard and he dashed off into some bushes to fetch a stick, in which he looked around for someone to throw it for him.
Looking around and twiddling with a small strand of hair that felled over her shoulder, she took out her notebook from her little side bag she had on and began to write down on it. Crossing her ankles, she leaned forward a little too close to her page; a nasty habit she had growing up that she never grew out of and was probably terrible for her eyes. Occasionally she would lean back up, smooth her hair back before diving back into her pages and writing some more. She even dared to doodle the mingling friends she had infront of her. Smudging her charcoal to give some shading, she looked down.

It wasnt a detailed piece or anything super nice, but it got the point across. Closing her book and tucking it back into the bag, she stood up and looked around, searching for a conversation. She spotted the Hjalmar and Ashlar, perking up a little bit and laced her fingers behind her back, taking heel to toe steps towards them. Sliding towards Ashlar, she bumped his shoulder against his, her lips curled into a sly smile,"Look at you boys, all sharp and clean!" she quipped and smiled, adjusting the strap on her bag.
Looking up at the two she smiled and scrunched her shoulders together,"Are you excited?

Pippa plopped down and played with his stick angrily.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa @All​

Oceana was standing in a corner of the large, makeshift changing room quietly. Lost in thought, she looked down at the circlet her nimble hands were fingering.
The gleaming metal caught the fading light with every small twist. It reminded her of dew glimmering on leaves in the dawn; The land’s own twinkling stars, blinking back at their distant cosmic cousins.
The thought made her smile.

It was the most beautiful gift anyone had ever given her.

She would have to thank Kacel’la somehow, with more than just words.
A tap on her silk-clad shoulder broke the elf from her reveries. Oceana looked up.
Ginger hair and a flash of shy green eyes.
“Yes?” The she asked, her accent even tinging that single word uniquely.
Galiana smiled, a tiny thing, and gestured to the door. Oceana has noticed the others leaving in a trickle but didn’t feel like following them quite yet. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and the motion drew the human’s gaze. The elf noticed and caught the girl’s eyes, teal curiosity met forest embarrassment. Beneath her slave tattoo the squire blushed. She nervously made a series of hand motions, gesturing between them, and about her own face.
Oceana felt a creeping frustration tinged with guilt.
She couldn’t understand anything the girl was saying.
“She says you look beautiful. As beautiful as a ebony tessan.” An amused voice declared from nearby. “I think.”
Galiana went red and stomped her foot at Valerie, the interloper.
“Did you want her to understand or not?” The alchemist accused.
Oceana watched the scene play out with mild interest.
“Anyhow it’s time to go. Both of you. Shoo!”
Oceana rolled her eyes at the human’s antics and strode away, out the door to the courtyard, her new circlet balanced primly on her brow.
She found the others easily enough. Hjalmar’s current disposition made him an easy target for teasing.
“Well Hjalmar, I never would have suspected you would clean up so well.” She muttered to him when she came up. “Are you sure it’s you, in there?”
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Last edited:
Bo watched at the others began to make their way out, and followed slowly behind. Once in the courtyard, he sauntered over to Svetlana and Yaro, giving them both a smile.

"Well you look just lovely, Svetlana," He said, his compliment wholly sincere and delivered with a smile. "And I'm glad to see you doing a bit better, Yaro." He said with a little grin, patting Yaro on the shoulder. "You clean up well, yourself."

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Yourself?” The old woman laughed, “I did all the cleaning up, my good lad. Yaro just sat their cussing and grumbling, and he continues to do so because that’s what he’s best at.” Yaro just grumbled predictably so, “You’re also looking quite fine, Bo. You’ll have a luckier time than me catching the eyes of gentlemen and fair ladies.” She replied with matched sincerity, “Where I come from, girls would carve each others hearts out for a strapping man like yourself.”
soundofmind soundofmind

When Aggie approached and complimented the two boys, Hjalmar blushed uncomfortably and Ashlar’s lips curled into a stupid grin. “Thanks...” Hjalmar said awkwardly, never really having received a complement on his looks before.
“I knew it!” Ashlar exclaimed, making Hjalmar jump in the slightest. He had such a booming voice, “You are a princess! I just knew a maiden so fair could be nothing but royalty. You’ve been lying to me this whole time!” The tall man bowed to his princess. Hjalmar rolled his eyes with a small smile, and quietly excused himself from the flirtatious scene.
Though his presence wasn’t unnoticed, as the elven huntress walked up to his side. And suddenly he felt as if he hadn’t spoken to her in days. The city must have made him awfully quiet and distant– old habits die hard as they say.
“I certainly wish it wasn’t.” He replied to her jab, and he laughed, “I wouldn’t be caught dead in this suit– sadly, I’m most likely to be killed wearing something so impractical. It itches like no tomorrow, and it’s so heavy and flappy and in the way. How do nobles manage to wear these nasty things on a regular basis?”
After complaining, he looked over Oceana’s gown and flushed almost unnoticeabley, “I’ve only seen you in armor, grit, and dirt. It’s very strange to see you in something as elegant as yourself– you look beautiful.” He complimented genuinely. He felt so out of his element, but it was the first thought that came to mind, and it was honest.
Vys Vys OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77

(Don’t worry! I don’t see a repeat post!)

✧ agitha edelweiss ✧

Right away her face flared up into darker hues as he said she was a princess, her eyes going towards her feet and hands going up to cover her face,"Ashlar you're too kind..-" she squeaked, giggling a little. Peering up at him she squared her shoulders and smiled before giving a curtsy back,"I mean..I barely know my lineage so I could be..?" she couldnt take compliments quite well yet.
Shaking her hand with dismissal she took a step forward and brushed a hand along his sleeve, smoothing his sleeve and admiring it with a smile,"Seriously, Ashlar, you look really good..." admiring the embroidery on his sleeves she smiled and exhaled quietly. Straitening up she smiled up at him.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Bo chuckled, though he wasn't sure if Svetlana meant that metaphorically or literally. Ripping other people's hearts out is really intense just for someone you like, he thought. And along that train of thought, a picture of Alo's gruesome death came to mind, and he blinked a few times. "Haha, well, thanks, Svetlana. Glad to know you think so."

And he left it at that, completely avoiding addressing even the idea of someone liking him. Though it was nice to think of, it wasn't really on his radar. In the forefront of his mind was always the seriousness of their quest and his mortality - that, and his looking for every waking opportunity to make a joke. With all of that going on, he didn't have room for much else. Though, he did enjoy seeing Ashalr and Aggie flirting. The two love-birds were pretty adorable.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Last edited:
“You really think this will end up fun?” Dorian questioned. Even if he didn’t show it, just the fancy clothing was already making him uncomfortable, with nothing to be said about the party to come.
"If you try not to behead anyone of note." Kacel'la joked, words quiet enough for only Dorian to hear.
The familiar instantly quipped back."And you try not to bed anyone of note."
"I won't promise if you don't. But did you really just call me a harlot?" The elf raised a hand to her chest in mock hurt.
"Well, when the shoe fits..."
Kacel'la couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Is that how you treat family? You're a true bastard."
"At least a bastard knows who his mother is. Gives him a one up on you, doesn't it?" Dorian retorted with no real anger, but his smirk instantly fell when he noticed the absolutely flat look Kacel’la gave him, one that practically screamed that he was about to be in a world of pain and he had just crossed a line about what parts of Kacel’la's life he was allowed to joke about. Parents, or lack of thereof, was apparently a touchy subject.
"I'm sorry, that was uncalled for." The familiar mumbled and had to hold back a relieved sigh when the tension in Kacel’la's shoulders seemed to vanish and her smile returned. It was almost frightening how quickly she put on the mask of a pleasant conversation, though it was not like Dorian could be one to judge.
"Your face is uncalled for." The elf finally responded, and their little battle of friendly insults resumed.

Oceana smiled at Hjalmar’s compliment, the corners of her eyes crinkling. The huntress knew she was attractive but the word beautiful seemed a slight exaggeration. Even if it was, she appreciated his words.
“Why thank you. You look dashing yourself.”
The elf lifted a near weightless, silken sleeve.
“Although I do have to agree we’re a bit out of place in these clothes.”
She looked him up and down, his finery didn’t really suit him but it looked it’s part. She thought he had a more rugged charm in his leathers, that definitely suited him more. Perhaps he cut a better figure as a rogue, after all.

She still hadn’t forgot what she heard in the alley, eavesdropping on Hjalmar and his boss.
The elf was going to get to the bottom of it, before it was too late. The caravan had enough worries without underworld crime bosses getting in the way. The thought made Oceana want to strangle Jauquilinne for letting the criminals go scuttling about her city. Especially since Hjalmar’s head seemed to be on the line.
The elf stepped closer to the thief as if inspecting his face. She already had noticed the city made him retreat into himself. She pretended it showed on his face.
“Are you alright, Hjalmar?” She said softly, lest the others hear. “You look a bit haggard. If anything is bothering you, please tell me and I’ll try to help. Are the knights giving you trouble?”
More likely the other way around, that.
“Is it the mark? I know something happened to you in that fight before...”
She whispered the last bit, staring past the rogue at the mansion, it’s windows reflecting a orange dusk sky.
Alo’s death weighed on her, a reminder of the price of their rebellion.
The gala was a paltry distraction and no more.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Ashlar blushed at the compliment, "Why thank you, milady." He bowed deeply in an attempt to hide his furious blushing. When he arose, he straightened his jacket, "I'm not sure when we're leaving- but would you like me to escort you?" He asked, holding out his arm for her to take.
Vys Vys

Hjalmar's eyes glanced to the floor in response, he tugged at the sleeve hiding his mark faintly, "I'll be alright." He lied, he had no idea if he was going to get out of this one unscathed, "This city harbors a lot of memories for me. Being back... it makes them fresh, you know?" He continued, "Like they just happened yesterday. I tend to avoid this place, best I can. I never thought we'd be coming here..." He sighed. He didn't want to tell Oceana anything that could get her caught in Ingvar's tangle of webs. He decided to give her at least partial truth. He was silent for a moment, even if it was not the memory on his mind, it was still a memory, and it was still just as painful as when it happened, "I watched my mother die in this city, and I had to bury her here..." He voice cracked, he wouldn't utter much more lest he wished to cry.
OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77

Kacel'la finally concluded the battle of wits with Dorian, who seemed all too keen to go back to talking about nothing in particular with his mage, but seeing as nobody was really hurrying to go to the gala, she soon realized there was quite a lot of time to waste. Just for a second she wondered if maybe she shouldn't have left Sera behind, seeing as the wyvern would most likely end up causing quite a lot of adorable mayhem in any party filled with sparkly things, but she knew the worth of public opinion all too well, so she wouldn't go back on her decision now.
Instead, she decided to strike up a conversation with Yaroslav. The elf hadn't talked much with the man at all, but he seemed like someone who had more than a few tales to share.
"So, Yaro, if you could be anywhere right now instead of waiting for the Gala, where would you go?" She asked, genuinely curious.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Oceana was quietly taken aback by Hjalmar’s words. She had no idea her prying would dig up something so painful. The raw agony in his voice made her regret asking at all.
“I’m so sorry.” She whispered, the ground swimming in her gaze. She shouldn’t cry. It wasn’t her pain or her right. So she didn’t let the tears fall. She reached out, linking her pinky with the thief’s. A promise of support lie in the silent gesture.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

A crisp clicking could be heard in the courtyard as the carriages pulled into the wide drive. Jauquilinne appeared outside, livered in a fine white shirt and deep blue vest with black trousers and boots, just as a young girl flew from the first carriage right into her, arms flung about her waist.
“Mother!”
Valerie appeared only a moment later, smiling softly at the new arrival.
Jauquilinne tsked the girl for making such a scene but she was smiling.
“How were your riding lessons today, Helen?” The alchemist asked.
Helen immediately buried her face in the commander’s soft vest.
“Fhah ashuvuahl.” Came the muffled reply.
Valerie grinned at the look Jauquilinne gave her adoptive daughter.
“Helen.” Her mother merely said.
“It was bad. As usual.” Was the sullen response, no longer muffled by fabric. Her oddly shadowed yellow eyes glaring at space. “It hurts my bottom and lieutenant Gavmark is always so mean.”
Valerie’s grin twitched. “But you’ll learn to ride sooner and better than all of your peers. Gavmark is a good teacher, if a bit strict.”
Helen harrumphed but said no more to the alchemist. She turned to Jauquilinne instead.
“You’re going to the Samhain festival aren’t you? And... who are all those people?!” The 12 year old asked incredulously, only now realizing there were nearly twenty unfamiliar faces in their courtyard.
“Those are our guests. They are on an important journey. To restore rule of this land to the princess proper.”
Helen blinked, silver brows knotting. She narrowed her golden eyes.
“Then aren’t they dangerous to have around here?”
“That’s true. But it is our duty to help them. What is the Blaydhart motto?”
The youth rolled her eyes but recited,
“Fortis et fidelis usque ad finem.”
“Which means?”
“Valiant and loyal to the end.”
“That’s right. And valor doesn’t hide from scary demon lords now does it?” The commander smirked.
The girl matched her mother’s grin.
“Nope.”
Jauquilinne called out to the rest of the group.
“Before we go I’d like to introduce you to my daughter, Helen. She is a bit skeptical of the lot of you and quite the spitfire but she won’t cause trouble.”
“Mother~” she whined in response and crossed her thin arms, trying to look defiant in front of so many new eyes.
@ everyone

Kacel'la had watched the interaction between Helen and Jauquiline with a soft smile. She had always liked children, people untouched by the judgement thought to adults, and they were always more than happy to listen to her stories, to learn. However she almost sneezed when her nose, slightly more sensitive than average thanks to her dragon blood, caught scent of something. So the small girl wasn't quite human, then.
It wasn't like she was one to care or judge.

"It's nice to meet you, Helen. I'm Kacel’la." She adresses the girl with her friendliest smile, trying to put her at ease in this group of people who must have looked so strange to her.
OlKaJa77 OlKaJa77

✧ agitha edelweiss ✧

Her eyes lit up as Ashlar offered her his arm, and right away she curtsied and took it, wrapping her arm around his and pressing her shoulder against his. Closing her eyes, she pressed her cheek against his shoulder and smiled contently while her face burned a million degrees.
How did such a sweet man come across in her life? She was honestly baffled and thankful for him. Exhaling contently, she looked up at him and smiled brightly.
Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

Just as Helen was about to begin interrogating the intruders in a way only a twelve year old could, the clock tower chimed the hour. It was getting to be a bit late and they did have a gala to attend.
The commander gave her daughter a rueful smile.
“I apologize Helen. You’ll have to make friends some other time.”
She looked to Valerie who nodded with a tiny grin. She had placed her hand on Helen’s shoulder.
“I’ll help her get settled for the night and join you soon.”
The silverette was already climbing up into the lead carriage, an average affair that could fit four people comfortably. As were the rest of them.
She turned back to give the alchemist a surprisingly tender look.
“Thank you, Val.”
Then she was back to her stern self. “We shall eagerly await your arrival at the gala.”
And with that the rest seemed to take the hint to pile in.
@ everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back