Experiences Table Top Games

Favorite Table Top Systems

• Total voters

Vixen Dreams

The Token Fox
I am huge into good old paper and dice table top games. I have played so many systems and have been in so many stories.

Right now I am running two games and playing in three. So I want to see how many other table top gamers are out there!

What is your favorite system and why?
Favorite Story/Plot?
What are some things that have happened in a game that sticks with you? Something you and your friends still talk about?
Favorite Character?

I have not seen any table top chats so I thought I would start one.

Never really had a favorite. I'd say my most played was Champions, followed by D&D, then Beyond the Supernatural. A little Heroes Unlimited.

I ran a Champions campaign called Bad Moon Rising. A villain had managed to set up a moonbase, and was using it to drop kinetic kill weapons. The biggest problem the heroes faced was how the heck to get to the moonbase. That led to one of best uses of telepathy and mechanical aptitude that I have ever seen. The villain used a teleport device controlled by an AI to move between earth and his base. The team telepath linked the AI and the gadgeteer of the group together. A combination of skill checks with incredible rolls, a successful presence attack, and one mental assault later, the AI was convinced the gadgeteer was the villain. Instant moonbase access.

What is your favorite system and why?
I don't think I necessarily have a favorite system. I tend to prefer complex campaign systems to simple ones as I love details and going crazy with customization and options of things to do.

So far, I've played numerous D&D 3.5 games, Warhammer Quest/RP games, Necromunda-Mordheim campaigns, Only War campaigns [Which are so fun, but.. don't become attached to your characters], I enjoy X-Wing [Empire ftw] a lot and I have always been a big Fantasy and 40k game guy [Orcs/Orks because anything else is wrong].

Favorite Story/Plot?

Mmm, I think my favorite plot that I have done with my group is the 'Betrayal at Korviss VI' Wasn't called that at first, mind. Was a name we gave it once we finished.

Okay, so, it was an Only War game, so its a 40k tabletop roleplaying game where you play Imperial Guardsmen, so you know, the scrubs who tend to get gibed by anything that looks at them funny. We have six people playing, five of us actually playing guardsmen and one GM. Now you gotta understand that in Only War... you tend to lose more often then naught and have to make a new character all the time, you even get 'comrades' who are, literally, just mook guardsmen you get along with your character to act as meatshields stalwart allies. We had made it through three, three, games without any of us dying. We had gotten some nice levels and gear, we started to feel like we had the system beat... And then.. Korviss VI.

Our regiment was a Rapid Recon with Sappers and Covert Strike as our doctrines.

Our squad was:

Commander, Formerly Sergeant, Lyra and her Merry Band of Mooks (And yes, they was our squad name which always made us laugh because if we were mooks, what did that make our 'comrades'?)
Commissar Wilhem
Mul'geth 'Smash Good' the Ogryn (Wouldn't ever ride in our Tauros, so every mission we got to use it, we'd 'strap' him to the bumper. XD)
Avar our Sanctioned Psyker
Scout Corin [Yours truly]

The background: So, we were 'deployed' on Korviss VI that was suffering from a rebellion by Slaaneshi cultist which was okay because last 'campaign', we had faced more Slaaneshi cultist (along with a single Space Marine who we only beat through sheer, dumb luck.. we didn't kill him mind, we just wounded and legged it). It was a contemporary world and so perfect for our 'Rapid Recon', we figured it was just going to be a Mechanized campaign, but it ended up being Mechanized, Line and Scout all in one. Was just... a crazy ride. Anyways, so as we are fighting filthy heretics, fighting in death chases between our Tauros and their stolen chimeras or technicals, fighting in large pitched battles where we almost died to friendly fire and ended up 'acquiring' a tracked leman russ [Which was hilarious because we ended up having to strap Mul'geth to the rear because our Tauros had... well.. they hadn't made it and when a missile was fired at the rear armor, we debated with the GM that we should count as having extra armor because of Operation: Ogryn Shield]

So anyways, as we are fighting across this world, losing our 'comrades', kicking in skulls and smashing faces, Avar keeps having these weird visions and seizures, but its a psyker, so whatever. He ends up seeing a vision of the world being overrun with daemons [Which is full of nope, I ain't fighting no daemon] so our brave Commissar forces us to follow Avar's visions which is what turned it into a Scout mission. We undercover all these crazy rituals, evidence of daemonic summoning attempts, etc, our regiment disavows us for disobeying orders and not coming back [Wasn't my fault, I wanted to go back, but when it was 'Go with the group' or 'Get shot for cowardice by the Commissar' I felt like I did the right thing], and there was one part where we had to fight and kill one of our own regimental squads when we crossed and they tried to apprehend us.

Anyways, we come to this old refinery that is just filled to the brim with cultist. We fight our way through, poor Mul'geth going down after breaching a door [By headbutting it repeatedly] and taking a Krak missile to the face. We finally come to the ritual chamber.. but unlike the others, it is empty and lacks numerous dismembered bodies, so I was like.. da hell? Then the coin dropped and I flipped out because we were the sacrifice. Before I could get Corin to move, Avar explodes our commissar into a gooey mess with force psyker lightning. We try to kill Avar, but he is flinging us around, tearing our comrades into blood pieces with his barehands, some crazy crap and he starts to mutate. He was possessed and had been possessed since the last campaign. It was all a set-up. We try to bravely leg it, sue us, brave sir robin was our spirit animal, and we run into a Chaos Space Marine... the same one from last campaign. We hadn't beaten nor escaped him, he had let us go. So... yeah. We all end up dying, mutilated and sacrificed to the Chaos God Slaanesh and the world gets flooded with daemons, our Regiment is butchered and the world becomes a Daemon World.

In hindsight, the player of Avar had been dropping hints about his possession earlier, like his character 'forgetting' memories and details about prior events, watching carnage with interest, etc. But we just didn't notice until it was too late. The GM and Avar's player had planned it after the last campaign. God. I was... just... floored. We could have stopped it if we had been paying attention, hell, if our GM didn't know our commissar player so well, it wouldn't have worked as if he hadn't taken that bait, we wouldn't have gone after Avar's visions and the world would have been saved if we hadn't done anything. Road to hell and good intentions and what not.

What are some things that have happened in a game that sticks with you? Something you and your friends still talk about?

The above is a big one.

Got a few from Warhammer RP, like when our Elf player talked a lot of crap to me, a dwarf, and ran away and shot me in the back with an arrow. He kept mocking me, like player to player, because I couldn't catch him and he was going to kite me [We weren't getting along that night]. Dumb guy forgot I had a blunderbuss. Turned and shot him. :P I won that exchange. Our GM was dying with laughter and a bit of annoyance because we were ruining his 'masta plan'. One time we were fighting this Vampire and he.. beat us like a red headed step child. So we were legging it, and I was dragging our wizard, who was knocked out and bleeding out, as the vampire chased us through the dungeon. Ah.. good times.

In D&D, our GM was feeling like a jerk, so he had us fine this magical sword that was... amazing. Anyhow, with that we just butchered our way through the dungeon until we came to a huge door with a key slot that would fit a sword, so, obviously, we put in the sword into the slot... on the other end was a Rust Monster. Pulled out just a hilt as the blade was om nom nomed. Ah.... Good times.

In Only War, our heavy gunner rolled so bad one time that a stubber bullet ricocheted off of three walls and hit my character in the foot... my character was standing behind him. :P

Favorite Character
Aenith, my Drow Priestess.

So, she as lawful evil which made her so much fun because if she gave her word or signed a contract, she would uphold the very letter [The letter mind, not the spirit] of the deal. As I was the only one ever really willing to play a Cleric or healer in general, they could never just get rid of me, and I was a jerk. Like, if you were wounded, I would offer to heal you only if you paid me. The more money you had, the more desperate you were, the more I would charge. :P

One guy tried to call my bluff, and I just let him die. God, he was pissed. After awhile, before every game, I had to 'write up a contract' that I then had to sign as if I was Aenith for the 'proper conduct, actions and fees' during each game. I would also spend forever trying to find loopholes in it.

So I am running and Evil game (Which half the group is really GOOD at it and the other half is really BAD at it). Right now the party is a: Halfling Bard, Tiefling Witch, Orc Fighter, Goliath Earthquake, Kolbolt Wizard and Human Necromancer.

Right now, the whole group is pretending to be "Okay" people, helping out a local town so they can try and take it over later in the game. So the town was hosing a Harvest Festival and the group wanted to go. So the Halfing, Goliath and Tiefling leave there base early and the Goliath tells the Kolbolt, "Tell that lazy Orc when you see him to hurry up and catch up!"

So the Orc comes down to the kitchen area and the Kolbolt looks up to the Orc....very thoughtfully trying to recall what the Goliath had said and as soon as the Orc set down next to the Kolbolt (Background: The Orc treats the Kolbolt like a beloved pet.) the Kolbolt looks up at him and goes, "HEY DEADBEAT!" With out a second thought the Orc's player goes, "I roll unarmed attack."

The party looses is, I loose it....I have to walk out the room because I'm laughing so hard. Because the Kolbolt wizard has an AC of maybe 20....and the Orc has a Strength of like 26 I think....so an attack mod of "Stupid High." The Kolbolt goes flying and the poor Kolbolt looks up with these big puppy dog eyes and skuddles away. The Orc running aftering him screaming, "QIX COME BACK I'M SO SORRY!"

By the way...QIX is the most adorable character ever, and everyone in the party loves him. Because he is "Evil" but to innocent to know he is doing evil things. He makes traps, and magic items. That is only job. And the Gods help everyone if he ever learns he is "People" because then everyone would die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back