TA/ OOC

Same reasons ranger does too. Their harder classes to play and level, but in turn are a little stronger. Says so in the class section XD
How exactly are they "harder", though
There is no reason at all to pick mage over warlock. Ever. EVER.

Same reasons ranger does too. Their harder classes to play and level, but in turn are a little stronger. Says so in the class section XD
Like, I legit have a rant prepared for Clancy to say as to why Mages are literally trash in comparison to Warlocks

RaynaFon RaynaFon No, seriously. If a warlock fought a mage with intelligence twice as high, and all other stats the same, they would still have a 50-50 win chance because of the life steal ability. If their opponent has any less than that, the Warlock will win with ease.

Sizniche Sizniche I was planning on making changes to mages but never got to it
I'd be okay with it if spells actually had cool downs, since that means Mages would have at least one benefit on their side; having three attack abilities that can be chained together to basically circumvent cooldown for three turns, since Mages have three direct attacks by level five and Warlocks have two. But there isn't, so Mages don't even get that. Meanwhile, Warlocks get a landslide of benefits that are so long, I don't care to list them right now (but I will if you ask me, just to prove my point). It would make more sense to me if Warlocks started with crap powers and got exponentially more powerful, but as it is, Warlocks start powerful and only get stronger.

Sizniche Sizniche sorries was working on something. But at lvl 10 mages start getting way more bonuses than warlocks tho as well as more skills. So you'll catch up rather quickly. I have to wait a whole ten lvls before I even start getting those bonuses

RaynaFon RaynaFon That doesn't NEARLY count as a benefit, since you'll catch back up anyway, and because Mage level up bonuses suck (see below).

Here's the list, since I'm ready to post it now:

Mages can't cast without a staff. Warlocks can. This means Warlocks can have equips like the insanely overpowered scythe Max gave Loki, while Mages have to cling to their staff that's useless in a melee for dear life.

Life Drain. Same MP cost as magic bolt. Same damage. Same cast speed. The difference? Life Drain heals all the damage you deal, which means it's infinitely more useful than magic bolt.

Warlocks start with a defense ability. When mages get their defense ability, it's locked at 30 damage absorbed, while the Warlock counterpart is based on intelligence. The next defense ability mages get is even worse, because it only blocks 20 and will only defend against magic.

Bind abilities. Mages may start with theirs, but the Warlock counterpart, Deadman's hands, is marginally better because of cast time and duration. it may cost three times as much MP, but 15 MP really isn't that much, and, considering the excess of MP Warlocks will have because of their level up bonus, it hardly even matters to them.

Speaking of which, level up bonuses. Warlocks get +2 Intelligence. Mages get +1 Intelligence and +1 Spirit. As we have seen with Max, Spirit is a dump stat, and will stay that way until the ultra-late game when Constitution and Intelligence are so ridiculously high that the wait to regen gets boring. So, Spirit is useless early on and hamstrings mages that DESPERATELY need the extra Intelligence to be able to even compete with Warlocks. It gets even worse later on, When Necromancers and Doom Knights can get as much as +3 Intelligence and +1 to another stat, while Mages only get +2 Intelligence and +2 to everyone's favorite dump stat, which would get RIDICULOUSLY excessive.

Shadow Cloak. I'll give Quinlan credit on this one, he DOES give mages the perfect counter, Cast Light, but f**k Shadow Cloak anyway; with how much firepower Warlocks are packing, it makes this all the more broken of a skill to have.

Blood Magic. WHY.

Elementals. Every one of them is virtually useless except for Fire, and maybe water on occasion.

RaynaFon RaynaFon Sorry for my rant, it just irritates me that I always miss these things when they actually matter and I end up shooting myself in the foot.

Um, where does it say the mage defense skills block only magic? Also the other elements are nice, idk what you're talking about. Life drain constantly uses mana, magic bolt doesn't, is the reason why I never really had loki use it the first few levels, cuz she didn't have the mp for the uptake.

(Fyi, bind counts as a controling effect)

Um, where does it say the mage defense skills block only magic? Also the other elements are nice, idk what you're talking about. Life drain constantly uses mana, magic bolt doesn't, is the reason why I never really had loki use it the first few levels, cuz she didn't have the mp for the uptake.

I typoed; only the Wall one only blocks magic. The other is universal. And Life Drain and Magic Bolt still have the same listed MP cost.

I'd never use any element but fire because the rest basically do nothing useful, or fulfill a role someone else can do better. In addition, that reminds me, Deadman's Hands probably wouldn't count as a control effect since it's magic that resurrects beings to physically grab people, which means it's also probably immune to control effect counters.

I'd never use any element but fire because the rest basically do nothing useful, or fulfill a role someone else can do better. In addition, that reminds me, Deadman's Hands probably wouldn't count as a control effect since it's magic that resurrects beings to physically grab people, which means it's also probably immune to control effect counters.
Uhh Deadmans Hands is just the hands coming out of the ground grabbing the target

It's still a control effects as its not an attack, it's a stats hold much like bind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back