Story Mode Network

Have I already made you read Dungeon World? Because it sounds like you want Dungeon World. Maybe Earthdawn. 

And yeah, I plan to make the diceless RPG choice-based - you have a resource to perform actions with, and you choose which action is the best use of that resource, but you don't get to do everything. So you can, say, spend 5 Vigour for a difficult climb up the side of a building, which means you might get there faster but have less Vigor, or you can search for the hidden staircase for 3 Vigor, but it'll take you a bit longer. Which affects what you find when you get up there, narratively.

What you're describing is also achievable in FATE, but most modern RPGs try to avoid book-keeping like that. They either have a fairly hefty character creation (or very streamlined) to root you character in the world of the game, and then keep things efficient beyond that rather than layering on mechanical complexity where narrative complexity would be preferable.

Although I'm working on an Elder Scrolls RPG system that might also work for you - I wanted to preserve the series tradition of getting better by doing something, even if you fail, rather than spending XP or having strong class-level paradigms. 

Very interesting resource based system! I will be back and comment on that. 

@Wixard

Welcome to you by the way! Go ahead and introduce yourself in the Introductions thread!

@Wixard

Alright. Officially, welcome to you my friend. I checked out your  link and I loved it. I didn't ready anything but the way you had everything all neat and ordered was lovely enough to earn a seal of approval. I see you're working hard at it. For the Cloud Raven Project, I encourage you to keep that up and finish the book. No matter how it comes out, I'm sure nothing will be sweeter than seeing it finally conclude. I love anime too and will say it's actually an anime that led me to find RPN and getting involved with writing as a whole. There are many good series that in a way I can't explain, capture a certain part of you. Nearly in the same way I got chills from reading some books. DC I know of, but not tooo in-depth. I just know I prefer it to Marvel haha.

DC = Apple

Marvel = Android

Anyway. I hope you enjoy your stay and maybe learn a thing or two from someone else. Go ahead and try suggesting some proposals. Any questions, just ask.

@Grey

Very cool about the diceless system you've got. Sorry if I get a little charged talking about it. I just love R&D of every kind. Working on something new and out of the norm is so much fun. What you've got going with that is genius. I've looked at and messed with a resource-based system, but combining it directly with the narrative is pure genius. Never though of doing that. So for an RP using that, having friends to pool their resources with yours is going to be very important? Because I don't know how much fun it'd be to keep playing it safe just to conserve your power. What would be the benefit of using a 5 Vigour move as opposed to 3, if using a lot will eventually make fail later down the road? You have completion rewards or something like that? I think you'll have to be very creative with the choices you give, to switch up strategies players use.

The Elder Scrolls system you've got going, I'd like to take a look sometime. Though I suspect we might be headed in 2 different directions. Mainly what I want to do, is find a way to capture the feeling of an MMO, complete with all the high-flying **** people want to do in free-form roleplays, but with rules. In a way that's straightforward, simple, and compact. As many discussion as I've seen shredding the idea, I am fascinated. There was a MMORPG Hosted project up a while back and the interest is certainly there. The potential for a good experience is there. It's just a matter of putting in the right system to help it through.

I will read the Dungeon World link you gave soon! Thank you!

Mainly what I want to do, is find a way to capture the feeling of an MMO, complete with all the high-flying **** people want to do in free-form roleplays, but with rules. In a way that's straightforward, simple, and compact.

The last three points vary wildly, but that's pretty much what all RPG systems aim for to some degree. Remember - video-game RPGs and MMORPG were originally meant to be a translation of traditional tabletop RPGs into an experience you could enjoy without a group to play with or the same learning curve. 

Exalted 3rd Edition in particular would do what you want if you want to retain a lot of narrative emphasis, whereas D&D 4th and 5th editions would serve the game-like side of things (better 5th I'd say), but both probably have more narrative complexity than you're looking for. Similarly, while The Strange might work, I'd almost say it's too simple - but you'd have to check it out for yourself, I think. 

Dungeon World is a good start, but it might not scale up the way you want. 

You should consider following this thread for your amusement and elucidation, because I was aiming for high-flying kung fu adventure and the system provides an MMO like progression curve in tandem with the story. 

@Grey

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to explain what I see in my head, at least for now. I will take what you've given me and see if I dig out anything similar. In January I'll probably revisit all this with you again. It's better to watch for now i see!

@White Masquerade, @Grey says my writing is like anime, so you should definitely read it. Also, also, I'm declaring friendship. 

And thank you! I spend a lot of time organizing and reorganizing my blog that I should spend writing (lol) but thanks for noticing that's really encouraging. (All that time trying to figure out how to best present myself...not wasted...huge win!)

@White Masquerade, @Grey says my writing is like anime, so you should definitely read it. Also, also, I'm declaring friendship. 

And thank you! I spend a lot of time organizing and reorganizing my blog that I should spend writing (lol) but thanks for noticing that's really encouraging. (All that time trying to figure out how to best present myself...not wasted...huge win!)

:smile5:  Haha. Writing, like an anime? Odd to imagine! We shall see then; that will be something to check out. Hey, if organizing gives you the energy you need to write good things, do it to your heart's content. I find writing comes out like crud when you're not relaxed, content, and in your right frame of mind. Sure other people may still enjoy it, but you yourself are kind of miffed and unhappy. I can certainly feel a clear difference between something I've written I liked, and don't.

Organize away!

So i thought of an rp called Advent of the Champions, it would follow people in the modern era, the Last Champions, chosen servants of the gods. Due to machinations by their enemies, the vast majority of the previous champions were killed and the power of the gods within them were sealed somehow vastly weakening the gods and their forces. Now the last remaining Champions must train the new ones, who have suddenly been thrust into an unknown aspect of the world they thought they knew, or something like that.

Would this work better as just a character rp or as an Academy one? 

Also i have started an rp on another site, not this one, but Storytellers Circle. Strangely enough the only thing stopping from doing much on this site is the white coloring of the background.

So i thought of an rp called Advent of the Champions, it would follow people in the modern era, the Last Champions, chosen servants of the gods. Due to machinations by their enemies, the vast majority of the previous champions were killed and the power of the gods within them were sealed somehow vastly weakening the gods and their forces. Now the last remaining Champions must train the new ones, who have suddenly been thrust into an unknown aspect of the world they thought they knew, or something like that.

Would this work better as just a character rp or as an Academy one? 

Also i have started an rp on another site, not this one, but Storytellers Circle. Strangely enough the only thing stopping from doing much on this site is the white coloring of the background.

We have enough Academy RPs *vomits*. Please do a character rp! As for here, You can change the theme to have  black background. The only issue is that might make your text hard to read for others who use a light theme.

What's wrong with white though?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have enough Academy RPs *vomits*. Please do a character rp! As for here, You can change the theme to have  black background. The only issue is that might make your text hard to read for others who use a light theme.

What's wrong with white though?

Nothing exactly wrong with it, jsut i have gotten used to dark theme/background and the white makes it difficult to see things without my glasses.

It was more about how the concept would work better, by making it more of an academy rp, or just make a character rp with the people and stuff.

Nothing exactly wrong with it, jsut i have gotten used to dark theme/background and the white makes it difficult to see things without my glasses.

It was more about how the concept would work better, by making it more of an academy rp, or just make a character rp with the people and stuff.

I'd still say not an academy. Cause if the world is on the verge of collapse, I don't believe there'd be a functioning city with an Academy right?

@Kalin Scarlet

Heyo, you can introduce yourself in the introduction thread!

So I will do another purging this weekend and getting geared for January. I won't be doing any roleplays so should have tons more space to construct things here.

For the most part, the battles would be fought in the shadows, so even though the world is going down the shitter people are still drinking to excess planning to murder their boss and all the other lovely human things, but i get your point.

I was planning on it to be mostly stand alone toa  point from the classic god related myths, i am unsure of what mythologies i will use for the rp, others will be involved, but some have literally died out over the centuries of fighting.

Thanks for the Links Grey.

I was planning on it to be mostly stand alone toa  point from the classic god related myths, i am unsure of what mythologies i will use for the rp, others will be involved, but some have literally died out over the centuries of fighting.

Thanks for the Links Grey.

As long as it makes sense and people enjoy it, you can't go wrong.

Anyone have some good recommendations for a third party dice rolling application? I was considering Rolz but I'd like to hear about some other options. Main reason for this is the quest I'll be rolling out, likely next week.

Is it for you or voters? If its the latter, I searched up this code which you can embed into your posts. Though, you'll have to rely on voter honesty.

See the Pen Simple jQuery dice roller by Billy Brown (@_Billy_Brown) on CodePen.

Code:

<p data-height="265" data-theme-id="dark" data-slug-hash="bzwtJ" data-default-tab="result" data-user="_Billy_Brown" data-embed-version="2" data-pen-title="Simple jQuery dice roller" class="codepen">See the Pen <a href="https://codepen.io/_Billy_Brown/pen/bzwtJ/">Simple jQuery dice roller</a> by Billy Brown (<a href="http://codepen.io/_Billy_Brown">@_Billy_Brown</a>) on <a href="http://codepen.io">CodePen</a>.</p>
<script async src="https://production-assets.codepen.io/assets/embed/ei.js"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have some good recommendations for a third party dice rolling application? I was considering Rolz but I'd like to hear about some other options. Main reason for this is the quest I'll be rolling out, likely next week.

@Grey

What is that one you're using for PRESSURE? May you please link Gas to it?

@The One Eyed Bandit

I don't understand how you do this? I've been to codepen but couldn't paste the code here on RPN. There's something in your head that I don't have. Very cool code though. I don't think trusting RPers is a good idea though. Unless they have no clue what the number they come up with will lead to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back