TV & Film Steven Universe Movie Discussion

Bum Bear

So I'm an alien now
I just watched the SU movie and holy shit am I woke! I freakin' loved it!

Note: There will probably spoiler, so if you're going to write spoilers for those who haven't
watched it please put it in a spoiler tag. Thanks!

Spinel is like the new love of my life.

EDIT: Was so excited I forgot to ask how other people how they felt if they happened to watch it ^^.

Last edited:
Ohhh I loved it so much!!! I'm going to put most of my stuff in a spoiler as well.

i absolutely adored spinel, she has amazing songs! I do feel like the diamonds were a bit too goofy? I can forgive it with white as we haven't really seen her? So maybe once she opens up she's actually like that? But it just felt out of character for yellow to be so clingy.

the movie is really making me wanna role play steven universe a ton/just write with gems and in general make steven universe ocs to write with!

SpectrumCrow SpectrumCrow
I totally agree with you. Spinel is like my new favorite character. She wasn't really an antagonist more than she was just another victim of Pink. Like, I really love how they stray from the "good deceased mother" troupe, but damn if Pink Diamond isn't portrayed like a complete ass. Like, every problem Steven has to deal with it because of her, and I know she wanted her freedom and all but, but Jesus girl, think about the repercussions of your actions.

Yeah, I agree, the diamonds were a bit goofy. I don't know the extent of their change either, so I'm worried for Spinel. I don't think they'll mistreat her because of Steven, but I'm still worried. Another thing that bothered me was how everything was resolved. Like, how the hell they clean up all that poison??? Did I miss that. Other than that, the movie was frekain' amaze balls. I've been listening to "Other Friends" on repeat for like four hours XD

Same, I totally feel the urge to do something SU related!

i feel like that show was created for people on tumblr to write fanfics about how their own custom oc gem fucks garnet or some shit

The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect
Eh, I think the show was created just to rake in money for the network, but I still enjoy it.
I don't mind people makin' fanfic since I ain't gonna be the one readin' it, so if they want their ocs fuckin' Garnet
then more power to them ya know. Outside of what it was made for, I still think it's pretty good though the
first season was objectively complete and utter garbage until the last few episodes.

Eh, I think the show was created just to rake in money for the network, but I still enjoy it.
I don't mind people makin' fanfic since I ain't gonna be the one readin' it, so if they want their ocs fuckin' Garnet
then more power to them ya know. Outside of what it was made for, I still think it's pretty good though the
first season was objectively complete and utter garbage until the last few episodes.
I mean it does attract a certain type of degenerate like, there is a reason as to why it has arguably the worst fandom ever. I still think the shows garbo but the annoying fans have to be one of the biggest reasons as to why the show has such a bad rep

Yeah, I can see what you mean there. I don't think the show is some masterpiece devoid
of any negative quality. Although I do believe that there are plenty of fandoms who follow this
trend of just being purely toxic, but I do see your point. They can really suck the enjoyment out of the
show if you let them. But if you think the show is garbage that's fine too, everyone got the right
to speak on it. I just enjoy the cast of characters, sometimes they annoy me, but most of the time
I get where they're coming from. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with music so it's got that going for it too.
Mind me askin' why you think it's garbo though? Not that you have to answer, just was curious is all.

calypso calypso
Yes, I've been listenin' to Other Friends on loop for like three days straight. I'm
sure I'm gonna eventually get tired of it, but damn it that ain't a banger!
It reminds me so much of old Disney villain songs. How I miss them.

Yeah, I can see what you mean there. I don't think the show is some masterpiece devoid
of any negative quality. Although I do believe that there are plenty of fandoms who follow this
trend of just being purely toxic, but I do see your point. They can really suck the enjoyment out of the
show if you let them. But if you think the show is garbage that's fine too, everyone got the right
to speak on it. I just enjoy the cast of characters, sometimes they annoy me, but most of the time
I get where they're coming from. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with music so it's got that going for it too.
Mind me askin' why you think it's garbo though? Not that you have to answer, just was curious is all.

• I HATE STEVEN. This is the biggest reason as to why I don't like this show.
    • Because I hate Steven and pretty much all the main characters, all I can hope for is SOMEONE WHO CHALLENGES THE MAIN CHARACTEEEER. I'll elaborate more on the "challenges" part but basically, most of the time the character I root for is the villain. Unfortunately with this show, all the characters a mushy pieces of shit that cry on a whim. Like not even some hard emotional trauma. A fucking whim. The VIllain is all I can hope for in this show and we don't even konw who the fuck the villain is half the time. Like, is it the generic gem worm monsters they fight every episode? Nop. Lapis? No. Peridot? No. Jasper? No. Is it the cluster? No. Blue diamond? No. Yellow diamond? No. White Diamond? No. WHO? WHO? Fucking muslim immigrants to Norway? Like who the hell is going oppose Steven and NOT have their entire world view changed by him? I want someone who will stand their ground and push back isntead of just surrendering to him.
    • I fucking hate Steven's voice actor. The voice acting is ridiculous in general but having the main character sound this annoying really makes me dislike this shit. Especially when he raises his fucking voice or gets emotional and starts crying. I'm not saying a character shouldn't get emotional but when your voice sounds like a bunch of fucking seagulls being choked out, then its better to not have that character exist altogether.
    • Why is he so overpowered for no reason? I hate how he just starts out as a retard and gets saved at some point by his powers/the gems or someshit and ends up just being the same fucking retard except now he has more powers. It really doesn't feel earned at all. Yeah there is this cluster thing thats gonna destroy the entire fucking planet right? Lets just fucking sit around and waste time ppl wohoo. Dw steven's just gonna go down there and plot armor some bullshit which he totally did. Like, lock this guy up in a fucking pod and shoot him to the homeworld cuz hes just gonna blow everyone up with how much he "Loves them"(that is essentially what happened though which is fucking hilarious). This is probably why I hate this show so much. Every single problem is solved the exact same fucking way. Steven just shows them this new prespective of "love and feelings" and how the world isn't how they think it is because the person who is an obstacle to him just has never been loved before ;-;. Like fuck OFF. When is this guy going to get challenged? How does the same fucking approach work EVERY TIME? Can we get a moment where it just backfires? Where it completely screws him. Where he actually gets stopped so SURPRISE SURPRISE, Steven actually develops as a character. Nah lets just have this chunky retard walk over everyone in his way while playing his shitty ukelele and playing some god awful crap that is the most generic thing you've ever heard.
  • Side point but the show has no logical consistency and makes no fucking sense.
    • Why are humans so fucking oblivious to everything? Does everyone wanna die and they've just given up against the gems? Where are the NUKES.
    • Why do all gems take the form of human females? It really makes no sense why this ancient, hyper advanced alien race would specifically take that form. Can't they take on virtually any form? Why do they take on forms of humans in general? Arent there better species to take the forms of? Humans are nothing to them. They existed before humans in the first place. Did gems create humans in their image? Wouldn't that mean that they'd be aware of the planet far earlier and would just destroy it already?

Last edited:
  • I HATE STEVEN. This is the biggest reason as to why I don't like this show.
    • Because I hate Steven and pretty much all the main characters, all I can hope for is SOMEONE WHO CHALLENGES THE MAIN CHARACTEEEER. I'll elaborate more on the "challenges" part but basically, most of the time the character I root for is the villain. Unfortunately with this show, all the characters a mushy pieces of shit that cry on a whim. Like not even some hard emotional trauma. A fucking whim. The VIllain is all I can hope for in this show and we don't even konw who the fuck the villain is half the time. Like, is it the generic gem worm monsters they fight every episode? Nop. Lapis? No. Peridot? No. Jasper? No. Is it the cluster? No. Blue diamond? No. Yellow diamond? No. White Diamond? No. WHO? WHO? Fucking muslim immigrants to Norway? Like who the hell is going oppose Steven and NOT have their entire world view changed by him? I want someone who will stand their ground and push back isntead of just surrendering to him.
    • I fucking hate Steven's voice actor. The voice acting is ridiculous in general but having the main character sound this annoying really makes me dislike this shit. Especially when he raises his fucking voice or gets emotional and starts crying. I'm not saying a character shouldn't get emotional but when your voice sounds like a bunch of fucking seagulls being choked out, then its better to not have that character exist altogether.
    • Why is he so overpowered for no reason? I hate how he just starts out as a retard and gets saved at some point by his powers/the gems or someshit and ends up just being the same fucking retard except now he has more powers. It really doesn't feel earned at all. Yeah there is this cluster thing thats gonna destroy the entire fucking planet right? Lets just fucking sit around and waste time ppl wohoo. Dw steven's just gonna go down there and plot armor some bullshit which he totally did. Like, lock this guy up in a fucking pod and shoot him to the homeworld cuz hes just gonna blow everyone up with how much he "Loves them"(that is essentially what happened though which is fucking hilarious). This is probably why I hate this show so much. Every single problem is solved the exact same fucking way. Steven just shows them this new prespective of "love and feelings" and how the world isn't how they think it is because the person who is an obstacle to him just has never been loved before ;-;. Like fuck OFF. When is this guy going to get challenged? How does the same fucking approach work EVERY TIME? Can we get a moment where it just backfires? Where it completely screws him. Where he actually gets stopped so SURPRISE SURPRISE, Steven actually develops as a character. Nah lets just have this chunky retard walk over everyone in his way while playing his shitty ukelele and playing some god awful crap that is the most generic thing you've ever heard.
  • Side point but the show has no logical consistency and makes no fucking sense.
    • Why are humans so fucking oblivious to everything? Does everyone wanna die and they've just given up against the gems? Where are the NUKES.
    • Why do all gems take the form of human females? It really makes no sense why this ancient, hyper advanced alien race would specifically take that form. Can't they take on virtually any form? Why do they take on forms of humans in general? Arent there better species to take the forms of? Humans are nothing to them. They existed before humans in the first place. Did gems create humans in their image? Wouldn't that mean that they'd be aware of the planet far earlier and would just destroy it already?
Every cartoon ever has major plot holes. I'm not going to pretend that Steven Universe is a prime specimen, because it's certainly not, but you can't watch a show targeted at a younger audience and expect for nothing to be hand-waved. The unicorns in My Little Pony could've easily conquered all of the other races due to being the only ones to have magic. The Omnitrix in Ben 10 had a shitty interface and no user guide, was easily traceable and didn't come off despite being made by the smartest creature in the galaxy. Being on the Infinity Train, which exists to help people cope with trauma, would probably cause even more trauma due to the flow of time not changing in the real world, causing everyone to think you're dead until you come back and either can't explain what happened or get called crazy. Even The Last Airbender, the actual prime specimen, had to ex machina a way for Aang to defeat Ozai without compromising his values at the last second. So either watch adult-oriented shows that can meticulously cover their bases, or put up with it.

Also, Other Friends is a jam and I could listen to it all day.

So either watch adult-oriented shows that can meticulously cover their bases, or put up with it.
I mean the plotholes suck but at no point do I claim that plot holes on their own ruin shows for me. You did not address what my biggest reason for disliking the show is so I don't think you can type that.

I mean the plotholes suck but at no point do I claim that plot holes on their own ruin shows for me. You did not address what my biggest reason for disliking the show is so I don't think you can type that.
I was tired when I wrote that and was addressing the part of the post that I had an attention span long enough to read.

Buuuuuut since I'm in a shitty mood today, you're literally arguing against the nature of the show. Yeah, most of the characters get redemption arcs and Steven is one of the most powerful characters by the end of the show, but that's because it's literally all about how love can change people. Instead of criticizing the show for what it did wrong, (Fusion being an on/off metaphor for sex, inconsistent character sizes, excessive filler, rushed season 5 finale) you're criticizing what it did right and shaming everyone who appreciates that instead of accepting that it's not your cup of tea. It's like bashing fantasy novels because the presence of magic is too unrealistic.

I also feel like the criticisms here are running far too deep for what is supposed to be a kids show. Sure, it garners an older audience at time, but there's plenty enough children who also watch the show. We, as adults, can easily pick up on the issues it has with rushed seasons or inconsistent character sizes. You know what a kid isn't gonna do? Care about filler, because it's a show they like and they love the characters being funny.

Steven Universe is not a perfect show in any means, but it has heart in it. The main purpose of the show is to show that love should be ever-present in your life, and that it's good to love others. It even shows you what happens when you love someone, and they make a mistake. When they hurt you, and you don't know what to do with your anger. (Pearl fusing with Garnet over and over, nearly everything that Pink Diamond did without thinking of the consequences for others, Spinel being abandoned by her friend.) The gem monsters were never really the enemies of the Crystal Gems. We believe that at first because Steven does, but it turns out they're just other gems who need help. So they're not the villains, and Steven gets a goal to try and heal them because they need help. Lapis, while I think can be flawed at many times, wasn't supposed to be the villain either. Her gem was cracked, and once it was fixed, she went home. I thought Peridot was interesting because she struggled for a long time without what made her 'complete,' until she realized she didn't need it. Jasper, on the other hand, was basically just a representation of what Pink Diamond did to other gems without even realizing it. She was abusive to Lapis, as Lapis was to her, and it shows that she can't get out of that mindset. Do we know what happens after she's uncorrupted? Not really, no. But we hope she learns because that's the point of the show, and it's the message to the kids watching it.

The diamonds are interesting. I believe they're supposed to represent the stages of grief, as Yellow Diamond is anger. Blue Diamond is depression, and White Diamond is denial. While their development was surely rushed, I still found it nice to watch. Yellow finally let herself become sad over the loss of Pink Diamond rather than angry, Blue Diamond accepted her loss, and White Diamond left denial. It's not supposed to be perfect, but the metaphor is still there.

All those points aside, it just seemed kinda lame to come onto a thread about people excited for the movie and be a party-pooper. You may not like the show, and you never do have to like it. It's not your cup of tea, as horror movies aren't my own. However, you don't need to throw around inappropriate words to those just wanting to talk about something they enjoy just because it doesn't match your ideal of what a show should and shouldn't be.

Like it or not, it's a kid show that teaches kids it's okay to love others, and it's okay to get upset with those you love. And sometimes, it's okay to not love that person anymore. Those are my thoughts on it, anyway!

shaming everyone who appreciates that instead of accepting that it's not your cup of tea.
This is the biggest reason as to why I don't like this show.

Really is a mystery as to where the fuck you got that from. The part where I criticize the fandom? I advise you to give up already if you are planning on arguing that the fandom ISN'T one of the worst ones on the internet because it fucking is. At no point did I mention how the behavior of these monkeys on the internet is representative of EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO LIKES THAT SHOW, neither did I shun EVERYONE who likes that show.

Instead of criticizing the show for what it did wrong, (Fusion being an on/off metaphor for sex, inconsistent character sizes, excessive filler, rushed season 5 finale) you're criticizing what it did right and shaming everyone who appreciates that instead of accepting that it's not your cup of tea. It's like bashing fantasy novels because the presence of magic is too unrealistic.

I was going to actually write up all of the flaws of the show but it got to a point where I literally wrote up, bullet point by bullet point, every single flaw and realized that writing a paragraph for every single one of those to elaborate would take me FAR too much time as there is SO MUCH wrong with the show and I wouldn't want to have anyone waste THEIR time trying to respond to that shit. There are dozens and dozens of videos and articles online that have already made my point in different ways so doing that here is just a waste of time. Instead of writing a post that argues why the show is bad, I instead wrote a post that explains why I personally don't like the show by writing what bothered me the most.

I am not arguing whether the show is completely unenjoyable. You are free to like bad movies, shows or video games. But you are not free to spew bullshit and attack everyone who criticizes it on the internet without even reading their criticisms in the first place. Funnily enough that is exactly what the stereotypical Steven Universe fan does. Strawman someone. Attack what they THINK was said instead of what was actually said. Everyone give a round of applause to the fucko who did just that and proved my point that the fandom was shit. Unless you aren't a part of the fandom. Then you are just some retard on the internet.

The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect Could you please calm down? No one was attacking you, you're currently the one insulting someone. He's not attacking you for criticism, he just questioned where your criticism was coming from when he thought there were better things to criticize when it came to the show. It's not really appropriate to say someone is attacking you, but then turn around and insult them several times /:

I wasn't the biggest fan of it, though that's admittedly more because of what I expected the movie to be than what it actually was.

I was kind of hoping that the movie would focus more on the Diamonds and their redemption and what we actually got instead was, imo, much less interesting. But still, when judged by it's own merits and not what some loser on the internet wanted it to be it was fairly decent.

He's not attacking you for criticism, he just questioned where your criticism was coming from when he thought there were better things to criticize when it came to the show.
Except that's completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter what HE thinks the show deserves more criticism for. It doesn't matter what the show OBJECTIVELY deserves more criticism for. Remember what we are talking about here. The point of my post wasn't "Why this show sucks". If that was the context, then what you are suggesting would make sense. It was "Why I dislike this show". I wrote up the part of the show that pisses me off the most. He basically said "What you criticized the show for is actually what was done right and its why people like the show. There are worse things to criticize. Stop hating everyone who likes the show and accept that you yourself don't like it."

He misrepresented what I wrote and attributed a false shallowness to me. He is not talking to me. He is talking to who he thinks I am, responding to what he thinks I wrote. I could be reasonable and mature about it, or I could be harsh and rude about it, which is more fun. Its obvious which approach I went for.

Alright everybody, calm down. I made this thread to discuss the movie, and it's fine if you don't like the movie or the show in general. If you want to discuss why you don't like the show, that's fine too, this is a discussion thread after all and I don't expect everyone to enjoy it as much as I did. If you wanna argue and debate your points that's fine, more power to you, but lets keep it civil please.

It sucks that you don't enjoy the show, but that's understandable. It ain't your cup of tea and I'm cool with that. Also agree on some points you've made while I feel like some other points are a little nit picky, but in the end these were your reasons for not liking the show and I accept that. Now I do think you could have responded a little better, and if you feel attacked then that's how you feel but you could go about it in a better way.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R
Yes, that is my jam. Been listening on loop for about a week.

And yeah, I think Omega had some nit picks and points that I don't agree with, but I think his main issue had been with Steven himself. He makes some valid points and some points that I don't particularly see the problem with, but at the end he doesn't like him. I see what you were saying, and agree that those were the nitpicks I thought weren't that big of an issue. Plus, I don't think he was shaming people for likin' the show, but instead was talking about the toxicity of the fandom, which can be said for most fandoms. Some people in the fandom are extremely amazing while those who are toxic are extremely toxic which I can agree to.

Also, sorry you're in a shitty mood. Hope ya feel better soon.

calypso calypso
I really do like the diamond authority, but I do take some issues to how they were dealt with. They were a little rushed, especially white diamond, but it was still a joy to see them on screen. Although, because of their redemption I feel like the writers of the show have written themselves into a corner. The reason being is that, is Steven is able to forgive these three who have decimated planets and committed mass genocide in order to expand their empire then he should be able to forgive any other villain that he comes by. Which kinda makes it seems that can't be any real villains. Although, maybe it goes down to people who are willing to change. I'm all for the old Disney villains like Ursula just being evil to gain something they want and ultimately have to meet some kind of fatal end or at least be punished for their actions. Other than that, Blue is probably my favorite Diamond, at least aesthetically.

Zipper Man Zipper Man
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. Like I said earlier, the Diamond redemption was extremely rush and the movie could have maybe delved in to how Blue, Yellow, and White gradually come to Steven as shown in the movie. Because they went this route, all we see of the diamonds redemption is the last few episode of season five which is admittedly disappointing for such characters who have been portrayed as the big baddies of the series. Although, I do enjoy Spinel character even though I don't like how the movie particularly ended. She isn't anything we haven't seen before, but her animation was stellar, her songs were awesome, and her feeling were justified. They were trying to tell another means of dealing with abandonment and I agreed with some of their depictions while other things I thought weren't to spot on.

As for a movie, it was fine. It did well as a recap of what has happened up until that point, and since they're getting a season 6 I think it makes sense. A big part for me was the songs and Spinel that made me enjoy the movie as much as I did. Again, not a big fan of how it ended, but thought it did well.

I've said what I've wanted, if you have problems with that then it's fine and feel free to pm or what not, but the thread is to discuss the film/series so lets keep it civil. Thanks.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Except that's completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter what HE thinks the show deserves more criticism for. It doesn't matter what the show OBJECTIVELY deserves more criticism for. Remember what we are talking about here. The point of my post wasn't "Why this show sucks". If that was the context, then what you are suggesting would make sense. It was "Why I dislike this show". I wrote up the part of the show that pisses me off the most. He basically said "What you criticized the show for is actually what was done right and its why people like the show. There are worse things to criticize. Stop hating everyone who likes the show and accept that you yourself don't like it."

He misrepresented what I wrote and attributed a false shallowness to me. He is not talking to me. He is talking to who he thinks I am, responding to what he thinks I wrote. I could be reasonable and mature about it, or I could be harsh and rude about it, which is more fun. Its obvious which approach I went for.

yo2gxirndko21.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back