Opinion Starting to get really fed up with this site

Kurotsuki

One body, many minds
Just kinda need to vent a bit, I've posted multiple interest checks for Soul Eater rps and have gotten ZERO. REPLIES. Other people instantly get replies and start rps, while I end up getting ghosted by the people who PM'd me first.

What is it about my rp offer that people don't like? I know it's not the fandom because there are plenty of Soul Eater rps and fans on here. Is it because it features LGBTQ characters? Is it because of the focus on ships over story? Is it the canon x oc? Seriously, what is the problem??

I have multiple rps started on Storyteller's Circle and it seems to be much smaller than this site too! Do I just give up on this site or wait for people to reply? I'm really impatient and looking for rp partners literally right now.

Just kinda need to vent a bit, I've posted multiple interest checks for Soul Eater rps and have gotten ZERO. REPLIES. Other people instantly get replies and start rps, while I end up getting ghosted by the people who PM'd me first.

What is it about my rp offer that people don't like? I know it's not the fandom because there are plenty of Soul Eater rps and fans on here. Is it because it features LGBTQ characters? Is it because of the focus on ships over story? Is it the canon x oc? Seriously, what is the problem??

I have multiple rps started on Storyteller's Circle and it seems to be much smaller than this site too! Do I just give up on this site or wait for people to reply? I'm really impatient and looking for rp partners literally right now.
It really depends, I mean even if you're looking for something that's huge like star wars or Harry Potter you're not guaranteed to get hits.

Honestly I doubt the LGBT characters are a massive turn off unless you're trying to make an established character gay (I like star trek but I wouldn't play a gay relationship between Riker and Picard). Sure some people prefer mxf, but loads of people are at least open to writing gay characters. If you're going with something more niche though, like making a character pansexual or non-binary, that could be putting people off.

A lot of people don't like to focus too heavily on ships (it's got a pretty terrible reputation) so that could be a problem, but hey, if that's what you want to write don't let others say it's stupid!

Think about your target audience. Are you trying to attract younger role players, more casual ones, or more advanced writers? Try to make your interest check appeal to the correct demographic.

Information! People tend to be more interested if they feel you've put more effort in, so try and not just use the bare bones minimum. (Admittedly I haven't read your other posts before writing this so I don't know how relevant it is.)

You generally get peaks and troughs, sometimes it'll be really busy and sometimes it'll be dead.

Sorry that you are feeling frustrated. Getting interest for a fandom RP is dependent on what is popular at the moment in the world I've found. We are one of the biggest RP sites around and that law of fandom seems to hold true for us as well. I bet you'd get more hits for current popular movies, books, tv shows, and anime vs something as old as Soul Eater, though I've seen some around and I know there's a soul eater clique somewhere.

Just have to keep going at it. It might also depend on how well presented your interest check is?

Hey!
So... As it turns out, it looks like you're real new to the site, right? According to your profile, you only joined Tuesday.
Things tend to move really slowly around here. It can take sometimes months to get the right partner(s) for yourself.

I want to tell you that ghosting is, unfortunately, a pretty darn common phenomenon... All those instant replies you see other people getting? Chances are, more than half of those replies have/are going to ghost. It's something that is very unfortunate, but has to be accounted for when looking for a RP. Just because someone ghosts you, alone, doesn't mean it's your fault. A lot of people ghost because of real-life troubles, or are simply too anxious to let you know that something's wrong. I'm not saying I'm particularly in favour of ghosting, but it's something to be taken into account, nonetheless.

Think of it like dating, for a second. You scroll around looking for the right partner for you... most of those people that you try out with aren't going to be your one-in-a-million just-for-you soulmate. These things take a lot of time, patience, and understanding that if you don't find the right person right away... chances are, it's not something wrong with you. When you do finally get that catch, though, it can be one of the funnest things you can ever do. I'm lucky enough to have found my "RP soulmate", we've turned out to be best friends, talking constantly offsite and plotting our next move in our most recent RP.

That's not to say that nothing can be wrong with your presentation. I think that once in awhile, it is good to look at yourself and wonder if you're doing things wrong. If you feel like maybe something is up on your end, I'd say the best tactic would be to ask people to critique what you've put out there. Get some feedback, take it in, write it down, repeat until it's perfect.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that Fandom RPs, in general, are difficult to garner interest for. To jump into a fandom RP, you first have to know the fandom, which is already a big hurdle in it of itself, since there are bazillions of fandoms out there to choose from. Then you have to find someone that's compatible for you... Are they focused around romance, do they want CanonxOc/OcxOc/CanonxCanon, do they want lengthy or short replies, does their post frequency match up with mine, ect. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a RP partner, in it of itself, so adding the extra filter of "fandom" onto the mix... unfortunately, it means that there are naturally going to be less catches.

In conclusion, I recommend giving it a solid go before giving up, first. Don't take ghosts personally, be sure to ask for advice if you think something's up on your end, keep in mind that not everyone is going to be compatible with you, also keep in mind that things like this take a long time, and keep trucking through! I can say with confidence that when you find the right person/people, it's worth all the effort.

PS! We also heavily recommend that you don't post multiple interest checks at one time, as it could be seen as spam. Rather, you can put all your ideas into one thread and bump your it back up to the top of the recruitment forum once per day, so it can be seen by more people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back