• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Kylo Ren’s talk had been in jest about Hux and Mira, but when Hux followed along he almost stopped to stare at the man. He could hardly believe he was hearing concern from Hux about a Knight. He was offering to send assistance!

“No, General,” Kylo said, though Paquin suggested a trap, “If it is a trap, they’ll be rewarded for foolishly calling my attention to it,” and it likely wouldn’t last. Not with Mira and Ariel in the same trap. God forbid anyone capture either the temperamental Ariel or Mira. They would wish for Kevan again, then.

The walk to the ship was short, if only because Kylo didn’t cease his steps and he knew the way back. “We will return soon. If you do not see us within a couple of hours, then you can send assistance, General. If this is a trap, we hardly need them capturing more of us.”

And he didn’t think it was a trap, so much as an attack. Kylo didn’t feel the death of either Ariel or Mira in the Force, but he was certainly trying to.

With a gesture, the door to his ship opened and the ramp fell down. He gestured for Paquin to go ahead, and then rounded on his heel to face the General, “Have the med bay prepared. Paquin will be able to provide immediate support, but it is likely that one or both knights are hurt worse what she can manage. We will return soon.”

There was no time for pettiness now. He could be petty about Hux’s concern later.

With that said, he turned to his ship to enter it and set the coordinates to go right into lightspeed. If nothing else, he supposed he did have Han to thank for his piloting skills.

~***~

Being unconscious for too long would have been fatal in this situation. The fire had plenty of dry debris to eat at. Tatooine didn’t exactly make things moist. Mira was out for almost a minute before feeling started to return.

First came heat.

Then pain, smoke, and a terrible need to breathe. She turned her head as best she could. The first inhale was smoke and sand, and she coughed, nearly wretched, at the terrible intake.

“Mira!” Ariel’s voice. “Mira, get up!”

Something was on her. Several somethings. She didn’t want to get up. Her arm hurt most of all. She flexed her fingers to make sure she could, before pain scattered her thoughts again and she pressed her head against the sand, wishing it was cold.

“MIRA YOU’RE GOING TO CATCH ON FIRE!”

Well, that was interesting. Panic and fear woke her for a few seconds. Mira could feel the things on her, and through the Force she got a gist of it, and then, threw it all off of her. “Shit, you almost hit me!” Mira didn’t care right then. She turned her head towards the other Knight, then tilted it up towards her hand.

Bleeding. Splinters. Possibly broken. She could still flex her fingers. Using her other hand, she forced herself to rise up a little, but everything hurt. Blunt wounds. Well, and there was something liquid coming from her head. The way her hair slipped down her face, matted, told her what that was. “I guess I’m going to have red hair, too.”

Ariel tried to scramble to her feet again, but Mira didn’t. Sitting up hurt enough. Her eyes drifted back down, to the sand again, before the heat of the fire again registered. She turned her head to see that throwing the debris apparently wasn't enough. The fire was growing around them. 'Get up or die.'

There were rarely just two options. 'Get up, or.'

Mira felt Ariel's arms finally wrap around one of hers and try to pull Mira up, only to collapse again. Mira took a breath, and focused her thoughts into the sand around them. The Force could lift heavy objects, but it could also manipulate the air. Taking up sand was nothing, though her focus wavered in the pain. Some dripped back into the ground, "Help me," she told Ariel as she pushed the sand that she could lift onto the fire, intending to smother it. It was clear that she and Ariel weren't going anywhere fast. Best to kill the fire instead of run from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
<p>

Hux nodded at Kylo, in both agreement and dismissal. He didn’t think too much on the fact that he was taking orders from Ren. Now wasn’t the time, Kylo was right. And so he turned on his heels and began his journey to the med bay. He silently hoped Mira would be alright, he’d grown to tolerate her. Maybe even like her a little bit.<br /><br />

Paquin wandered her way onto Kylo’s ship, finding the cockpit easily. As she waited for Kylo, she pulled her curly hair into a bun. Having her hair up wouldn’t actually do much to keep her cool on Tatooine, it was more so to keep her mass quantity of hair out of her way.<br /><br />

It wasn’t long before Kylo joined her and they almost immediately jumped into lightspeed. During their short flight to Tatooine, she observed Kylo, to see if he was panicking or worrying in the slightest bit. Her eyes didn’t pick up on those emotions, he just looked angry. Maybe he was worried on the inside. “I’m sure they’ll be fine,” she offered.<br /><br />

And she was sure they’d be fine. As long as they weren’t dead already.<br /><br />

Soon enough they slowed, entering Tatooine’s atmosphere. Paquin had been on Tatooine during her childhood, for a short period of time. She hadn’t seen much of it when she’d stayed on the planet, but from what she was looking at then, it didn’t seem like there was all that much to see.<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

Ariel was quick to realize what Mira was doing, joining in when she asked for help. Her head hurt, but luckily she didn’t need to focus too much to use the Force. With a lazy gesture, sand rose and flung itself at the fire. She had to do that a couple time, but with Mira smothering the fire as well, it died soon enough.<br /><br />

The large fire was then replaced with billowing clouds of smoke, just as large as the fire had been. Ariel hoped that the wind wouldn’t pick up, in case that would set the fire off again. <br /><br />

Ariel took a deep breath, breathing in the smoke-filled air. It sure wasn’t refreshing, and it caused her to cough. “Well, this sucks.” She wheezed out between coughs. She reached for her flask, and luckily it hadn’t been punctured. It was bent to all hell, but the liquid was still inside. The redhead didn’t hesitate to pull the cap off and down some of the liquid.<br /><br />

She hoped it would act quickly to numb the pain of her head. At that thought, she quickly held the flask out to Mira, “Drink some, it’ll help.” She all but shoved the thing into Mira’s good hand before she laid down on her back. She wanted to fall asleep, her eyelids feeling heavy. But she knew she shouldn’t, in case of a concussion. She and Mira would both have to keep each other awake.<br /><br />

Ariel’s eyes squinted at the sky as she spotted a dark ship passing over them. It was far away, but she could still make out the shape of the vehicle. “Do you see that ship? I might be imagining things. In fact, I probably am. But it kind of looks like Kylo’s,” she mused, her voice hoarse. 

</p>

Kylo Ren kept his gaze forward and his attention on getting to Tatooine, all but hellbound to get there in time, fearing the worst, but that fear was nothing compared to his anger. ‘If….’

If it was Kevan.

If they were dead.

If.

Yet, once he entered Tatooine’s atmosphere, he could feel that they weren’t. More, ‘Another?’ It was faint, quite faint, but he felt a second pull on the Force. He couldn’t feel Mira, but he expected that. He could feel Ariel, though—all of her pain, and her anger. It was the coordinates he’d gleaned from his device that he followed, but soon that was unnecessary. There was a billowing cloud of smoke. “I hope so,” he said to Paquin, recalling she had spoken to him.

~***~

Mira managed to grab the flask when it was passed to her, but only so it wouldn’t spill on her. “I don’t drink,” she said, but without as much conviction as usual. Control. Always control. Alcohol affected that too much to be desirable. “Just give it a few minutes. We’ll go back to the city once…,” once they could breathe. Once they had the strength. Mira was tempted to just use the Force to pull herself up and make her walk, but not now.

Later. If necessary.

“You shouldn’t lay down,” the same concussion fear was dawning on Mira now that the fire was out and she could think of other things. Still, her head ached. Her wrist ached. The alcohol tempted her, but she just held the flask. Ariel would reclaim it eventually.

She asked about a ship, and Mira looked up. ‘Damn it.’ “What is he doing here?” Mira asked aloud, wondering if Kevan had already revealed himself. It would be her luck, wouldn’t it? Except, Kylo was coming this way. “Sit up. You’re going to have to explain how playing with explosives got us into this mess.”

“Me?” Ariel did sit up, anger peaking, “What about you, Miss I’m-Coming-To-Help. Where’s that Stormtrooper of yours?”

Mira’s cheeks flushed a moment, realizing she did not, in fact, have the upperhand here. “All right…this is my fault. I don’t use explosives enough as it is.”

Ariel looked momentarily baffled. She hadn’t expected Mira to accepted the blame so easily. She didn’t have time to question it, though. Kylo Ren’s ship landed near, the landing blissfully disturbing the flow of the smoke so it all turned away from them for a few moments. The door opened, the ramp fell, and Kylo stormed out, locating them immediately. “What happened here?”

He gestured to the ruins, of course.

“Good of you to ask about how we are!” Ariel retorted. “We’re fine, by the way,” sarcasm. Kylo’s gaze remained hard on her, noting that neither of them were, in fact, fine. There was also no Stormtrooper.

<p>

Paquin barely registered that Kylo was storming out of the ship, her scrambling to follow after. When she heard him demand what happened, she took that as no one was dying but still hurried out. Upon locating the women, she immediately knew that neither of them were on the verge of dying, but they certainly didn’t look fine.<br /><br />

She didn’t hesitate in immediately treating them, starting with the redhead. Ariel initially shrunk away from Paquin, a glare on her face, but she quickly realized that she was only trying to help. She allowed Paquin to examine the wound on her head as she came up with a vague answer for Kylo, “There was an accident with the explosives,” that was obvious. "We weren't attacked."<br /><br />

“What about the Stormtrooper that was with you?” Paquin questioned, briefly looking up from the wound to search for RL. He was nowhere to be found, not even a dead body.<br /><br />

“Um, well…” Ariel acted as though she was hesitant to explain what happened, but in reality, she wasn’t sure how to cover that up. She had no clue what Mira may have told Kylo about it and didn’t want to arise any suspicion. So she left it open for Mira to come up with a lie.<br /><br />

“The wound on your head will need to be stapled and I’m positive you have a concussion though I’ll need to test that just to be sure. You’ll need to be monitored, but you’ll live.” Paquin informed Ariel as she moved on to Mira. The injury on Mira’s head wasn’t as hard to find as Ariel’s, the blood matted in her blonde hair acted as a trail right to the wound.<br /><br />

“I’ll get painkillers for that, right?” As much as Ariel loved alcohol, it wasn’t always an effective painkiller. <br /><br />

“Not until the alcohol is out of your system,” Paquin informed. Ariel hadn’t said anything about consuming alcohol, but she didn’t need to. She reeked of it, “You’ll overdose, rapid liver failure would occur.” She moved from behind Mira to kneel in front of her. She’d taken notice of Mira’s badly bleeding hand.<br /><br />

“Oh,” Ariel mumbled.<br /><br />

Paquin took Mira’s hand in her own gently, careful of the splinters. Those would be easy to remove, “You too, Mira. Concussion and likely some staples,” She wouldn’t be able to do much other than clean their wounds here, she’d have to test them for concussions and close their injuries at the base. <br /><br />

“How does your wrist feel when I move it?” She questioned, noticing of how it was swollen. It could either be sprained or fractured. Paquin wasn’t one to joke around to relax someone or make them feel better, she was more clinical. The quicker the job was done, the better for everyone.<br /><br />

"You're Kevan's replacement, right?" Ariel questioned the brunette, remembering Mira had said that his replacement was a medic with the First Order. Paquin seemed to fit that description, not to mention she had come with Kylo.<br /><br />

The medic took a deep breath, tensing at the query, "No." Well, she was. Just not yet, anyway.<br /><br />

Paquin glanced over at Kylo’s black-clad, “If you could keep questioning them, that would aid in testing for a concussion,” and make her job easier.<br /><br />

"Actually, how about we question him. Why are you here?" Ariel truly was curious, it wasn't like they had a bond that would immediately let him know that they were hurt. 

</p>

Mira let Ariel attempt to deflect the queries, but she was unable to formulate anything about the Stormtrooper. Mira could feel the anger still wafting off of Kylo. He seemed to sense he was being deceived, even if he couldn’t place why, or who was doing it. He stepped closer as Paquin examined them. “Not an attack…,” he mused, glancing at the place that was destroyed.

Ariel had a concussion.

Mira might, as well. She sighed at Paquin’s diagnosis, glad that her investigations into their health seemed to be keeping away further questions. She let Paquin take her wrist, and watched as it was moved. Though her face didn’t show it, she answered honestly, “It hurts. Sharp pain with the movement that dulls when resting. I don’t think it is broken,” she’d had broken bones before. That tended to feel quite a bit worse.

Ariel asked the question that Paquin couldn’t like, and Mira glanced off to the side when Kylo’s gaze turned back to her. He knew, immediately, Mira had been the one to use that terminology first. “Well, if she is Kevan’s replacement, you two ought to get along swimmingly.”

It burned. Mira offered no comment. Her anger was hidden now. It was easier to do so under his gaze, easy to remember it was necessary. Then he added, “Paquin is no replacement. It was determined she would join before we knew of Kevan’s treachery.”

Ariel questioned him, and he answered, “Mira called.”

“I didn’t,” then she glanced back at her wrist, and noted how damaged her wristband was. “Or perhaps I did by mistake.”

“This mistake seems to be working in your favor,” Kylo approached her, knelt in front of her, “Where is the Stormtrooper? Hux will want him back.”

“I don’t know,” it was the honest answer. It was better than a lie.

Kylo pursued it. “Did he come here with you, to this…?”

“Obi-Wan Kenobi’s residence,” Mira filled in, “And he did. I don’t know where he’s gone. I hope he’s gone to get help.”

“He wasn’t inside with you and Ariel setting the explosives? Isn’t that why you brought him?”

“He was outside.” Layer on the suspicion. Mira glanced to Paquin, “Can I fly my own ship? I do not want to leave it here.”

“You’re not flying it,” Kylo denied, as if he was sincerely concerned. “Paquin, can you fly a ship?” He asked, walking to Ariel and offering his arm to help her up. He figured it was best to get them in the ship and he could tell Hux his Stormtrooper was a coward. No doubt he’d call in eventually, or be found near Mira’s ship.

<p>

“Sprained, then. We’ll remove the splinters and put some ice on it back at the base.” Paquin told Mira but then remained silent as they conversed. She could pick up on the fact that Mira and Kevan must have been close, based on what Kylo said. It sickened Paquin, she did feel like Kevan’s replacement and obviously, Ariel and Mira thought that as well.<br /><br />

“I agree with Kylo, you shouldn’t fly your ship.” It wasn’t wise with a concussion. As for Kylo’s question, “Well, yes.” She wasn’t particularly good at it, but she’d had the most basic training on it. That’s about how she was with anything that wasn’t related to medicine. Apart from shooting, she was decent with a gun. Likely due to her incredibly steady hands.<br /><br />

Ariel didn’t protest in grabbing Kylo’s arm, gripping it and hoisting herself off of the sand. She felt bad for calling Paquin ‘Kevan’s replacement’, only because she knew that Kylo’s words must have bothered Mira like he intended them to. Even if she didn’t show it. Ariel knew now just how much Kevan meant to Mira, as did Kylo.<br /><br />

Paquin stood and brushed the sand off of her. She held out her hand to help Mira up. Even though she wasn’t drunk like Ariel, concussions can cause dizziness and imbalance. “If it makes you feel better, having me fly your ship, you can co-pilot,” it was probably better if Mira did, anyway. <br /><br />

“But I was considering looking around for RL. I think he’s sick, it’s not good for him to be out in the desert without water.” She doubted Kylo would want to look for him. She couldn’t help but think it was incredibly out of character for RL to have just run off anyway, “He doesn’t deserve to quite possibly die.” <br /><br />

Paquin wasn’t necessarily friends with RL-0022 though he’d likely say otherwise, but he was a good guy. Good at his job, too. He’d been loyal to the Order, she wasn’t about to leave him. She’d go to Mira’s ship to see if he was hanging out there, but if not she’d, at least, look around the area for him.<br /><br />

Ariel, knowing there was no Stormtrooper, quickly came up with an excuse. Sort of. “No. I’m sure he’ll be fine. He deserves it, he left us here without even bothering to check on us.” It was a weak attempt at convincing Paquin, and she wasn’t sure it would even work. Paquin didn’t seem like the type to believe in revenge. <br /><br />

“Besides, what if you get lost? You don’t have any water and we need you.” Ariel attempted to solidify her attempt. She really couldn’t care less what would happen to Paquin. She wasn’t a Knight yet. This was more to save Mira’s skin, whatever the story behind the Stormtrooper was, so Ariel would say whatever she needed to. 

</p>

Mira took Paquin’s hand to get help up, but then withdrew it, balancing on her own two feet. Her vision blurred. She wasn’t sure if it was the head wound or the heat.

‘His armor is in the ship.’ It crossed Mira’s mind just before she nodded to Paquin, but she couldn’t get out of this. Kylo would want to make sure her ship didn’t fall into the wrong hands. ‘So, was it worth it, Mira?’ How was she going to explain the armor? She stumbled upon a solution as she nodded to agree with Paquin’s question about co-piloting. ‘Heat. He had to take off the armor because of the heat.’

The lies were stacking up, weren’t they? Just as soon as she found the actual Trooper, though, this would be over. Just a bit of brainwashing, or persuasion…whichever.

Ariel argued on her behalf, and Kylo added in his own two cents: “He did abandon them. If necessary, someone can come look for 22 later, make sure he hasn’t turned like Finn,” he said the name with utter disgust. Traitors were growing in number. He wouldn’t be surprised if 22 had rigged the explosives. “Ariel and Mira need looked at first. 22 may be in good health.”

“I’ll come back with you,” Mira offered as one final effort, “I’m not sure what happened to him, but I told Hux I’d bring him back.”

“Speaking of,” Kylo’s tone changed a bit, “You really should be getting back to the ginger. I think he was actually worried.”

Mira had enough sense to just roll her eyes at Kylo’s attempt to get any other reaction. “I can take everyone back to the docks in my ship.” He offered to Paquin, “We’ll do a fly over of the area and you can scout for 22.” It was the most he could offer with the circumstances.

And it didn’t go unnoticed by Mira.

<p>

<br />

It took a minute for Paquin to figure out who Finn was, she wasn’t aware FN-2187 had decided to go by that name. ‘FN, Finn.’ Had she been in the company of anyone else, she would have laughed at the name. Another thing she would have laughed at was the General’s worry over Mira. Maybe that dinner was actually a date. But she wouldn’t laugh in the presence of Mira.<br /><br />

But, Kylo was right, Mira and Ariel were more important. And while 22 wasn’t what she’d define as healthy, he could live. At least, until someone decided to look for him. She was pleasantly surprised when Kylo offered to fly over the area. “He couldn’t have gotten far,” it did seem that Kylo was called right as the accident happened. Then they’d arrived on Tatooine not long after. “Thank you.” <br /><br />

She didn’t expect Kylo to care much about 22, but maybe it was because he didn’t want to risk another FN or Kevan situation, or have Mira get in trouble with Hux. Though, Paquin doubted Hux would be angry, considering how worried Kylo claimed him to be. Either way, she’d happily take what she could get. “Plus, he’s in Stormtrooper armor, he can’t be that hard to spot.” She wondered how uncomfortable the armor would be to wear in the heat. Her own uniform kept her nice and toasty.<br /><br />

Kylo’s offer didn’t go unnoticed by Ariel, either. But, unlike Mira, she actually said something about it. “Really?” She asked incredulously. “You don’t think my bleeding head is more important?” There was a mixture of covering for Mira since there was no way a trooper was going to be discovered, as well as genuine curiosity. <br /><br />

Ariel didn’t comment any further, making her way to Kylo’s ship and shakily walking up the ramp. She wasn’t really being dramatic though it may have come off that way. She was simply tired of standing.<br /><br />

Paquin felt bad for a fraction of a second. Ariel would certainly be considered more important, but it would only take a moment to search as far as he could have gone in the time he was out there. Besides, Paquin knew there was no harm in delaying their treatment by a few minutes. It’s not like their concussions were going anywhere.<br /><br />

Paquin turned to Mira as the redhead disappear into the ship, “Do you need help getting up the ramp?” Ariel’s trek up the incline of the ramp hadn’t been graceful, but Mira seemed to be a little more steady. Still, she offered. 

</p>

“He’s not in armor,” Mira said, and started to shake her head, only to realize that did not feel good to disturb her head like that. So, she stilled it. “Too hot,” Mira indicated to Paquin. Her own black was too hot. She wanted in the cool ship.

Mira was pleased when Ariel jumped on Kylo’s offer, silently approving it. It was going to be nice to have Ariel around, though it would be short. ‘Unless I can convince Kylo a reunion is needed.’ Wouldn’t be difficult, with a new member joining.

Kylo had a retort ready, “If this wasn’t an attack, your drunkenness probably got you and Mira into this mess in the first place.” Of course, his words were spoken to a retreating back, and he turned to follow after Ariel into his own ship.

Mira declined, “No,” she didn’t need the help. She didn’t want the help. At least, she told herself that when she started to walk, only to grasp at the Force to keep her steady. ‘Damn it.’ This day kept getting worse. ‘You owe me, Kevan.’ If she pulled this off, she’d count it a miracle.

There was just one loose end now; RL-0022. That was the only thing between her and the secret.

The ship was much cooler once Mira was in it, and she made sure not to sit. She leaned against one of the walls near the entrance, knowing she’d be off the ship soon enough. Ariel had gone ahead to the cockpit to take the seat Paquin had once occupied, and once Kylo knew the door was closed and everyone was aboard, he lifted the ship up to do a flyover over the desert area.

Of course, no Stormtrooper would be found.

His flying was smooth, but Mira still had to keep shifting to remain on her feet without toppling over, and she cursed her unsteady feet mentally, until she sensed the ship starting to descend. ‘Docks.’ She’d be off soon and then back on base. Then once she was tended to, she could try to find RL-0022. ‘Before anyone else.’ At least only Paquin would recognize him. That ought to help her odds.

<p>

Paquin could understand why RL-0022 took his armor off, just like Mira had said, it was too hot. Luckily, she knew what he looked like without the armor. Unluckily, it didn’t matter. They did not find the runaway Stormtrooper. She was disappointed, but she didn’t protest when they reached the docks. She just hoped he’d be okay, he really was a nice guy.<br /><br />

She poked her head into the cockpit as they landed at the docks to say thanks, as well as check on Ariel. The redhead seemed to be doing fine, but she still cautioned Kylo and Ariel. “Refrain from jolting around too much. Oh, and you know what to do if she starts seizing, right?” <br /><br />

“Seizing?” Ariel whipped around to face Paquin, but immediately regretted it due to the pain it caused.<br /><br />

“What did I say? Anyway, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Seizures usually develop after a few months, but you can’t be too careful.” Paquin waved a dismissive hand. “I’ll see you guys at the base, alright?” And with that, she backed out of the cockpit and to the opening door. Once the ramp was down completely, Paquin waited for Mira. She’d witnessed her unsteadiness while the ship was flying, so she wanted to make sure Mira didn’t fall going down the ramp.<br /><br />

From her position, the medic could quite clearly see the docks and the various ships. Mira’s was easy to spot, or what she assumed it was Mira’s. It was black and rather clean looking. It certainly stood out amongst the older, dirtier ships.<br /><br /><br />

Upon sighting the ship, a worry began to form in Paquin. She’d have to fly the thing. Once Paquin would be in the air and could jump into lightspeed, she’d be fine. But she had some trouble with taking off. Landing was okay, maybe a little rough. But take offs were the worst. Mira would be there, but she was concussed and could possibly be confused. <br /><br />

‘You can do this, Paquin.’ It would be a short flight, and she convinced herself that it was unlikely she would crash. It was more likely that they’d be shot out of the sky by the Resistance. ‘Good thinking.’ 

</p>

Kylo did not, in fact, know what to do about a seizure, but he didn’t say as much. He simply counted on the fact that if he needed to, he could radio Mira’s ship. “We’ll be fine. I won’t jolt around,” the trip had been smooth here, right? Perhaps not. He was in a rush.

Still. He was the child of Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker, two of the best pilots of all time. He could fly a ship without jolting it around! Still, Kylo waited until he saw Mira walking towards her ship. Then, he gave a nod to Ariel, and quickly brought his ship up. “We’ll let them go first,” he murmured, concerned about Mira getting out with Paquin as pilot.

She said she could do it, but he needed to see proof, or else he’d have to figure something else out for getting Mira’s ship home. Which reminded him, “Tell me where your ship is when we get back. I’ll make sure it gets to base in a day,” he might go pick it up himself if he could get someone to come with him to bring his own ship back.

~***~

Mira exited Kylo’s ship, still grasping at the Force to maintain her balance. She gave a nod to Paquin once off the ramp, and she closed up Kylo’s ship utilizing the Force. “That one,” she gestured towards hers, “Echo.” All good ships had a name. Mira had followed the logic that created her ‘Knight’ name, the theme of reflections in mind.

An echo was just a reflection of words, as mirror was a reflection of people, hence Mira.

“I can help walk you through it if you need it,” Mira said as she took the lead to her ship, and utilized the Force again to open it. Within, Paquin would be able to see loose kyber crystals, as well as the many tools for making lightsabers, but Mira naturally bypassed this, unaware of Kylo’s plans.

~***~

Unbeknownst to Mira, all of her carefully laid plans were about to fall apart because RL-0022 had gone to find Captain Phasma and reported his absence from the mission with all apologies. Though Phasma knew little of the situation, something about RL-0022’s rant which started with a bad alarm clock and led to his armor being missing caused her to think this was actually something he should be telling Hux.

Intuition, perhaps.

RL-0022 certainly didn’t like the idea. The poor Stormtrooper was sweating in his panic at having to face the General directly for this, and kept squeezing his hands as he walked along with the silver-clad Phasma to the med bay. ‘What is Hux doing here?’ RL-0022 was quite familiar with this area.

“Sir.” Phasma spoke loud enough to draw Hux’s attention. Once she had it, she noted, “RL-0022 has missed the mission to go with his squad. His many excuses have caused me to bring him before you. I am not sure how you would like him disciplined.”

“I’m sorry!” RL-0022 was quick to say, and then added, “General, sir. Very sorry. I did not intend to—the mission was last minute, I wasn’t prepared, and then my armor wasn’t where I left it. I still can’t find it,” which explained why he was just wearing black, and not his helmet, either.

<p>

“I seriously hope I don’t start seizing. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea what to do. I don’t either, but still. You’re not the one in danger here.” Ariel rambled, now seriously concerned about seizures. Maybe it was the alcohol or maybe it was the head injury, but she was paranoid.<br /><br />

“So, I missed a lot. That death planet blew up, for starters. Apparently the scary ginger has a thing for Mira,” It was probably weird for Ariel to use ‘ginger’ as a derogatory term, as she herself was a ginger. “Kevan betrayed us, and now we have his replacement,” Ariel spoke to keep her mind off the seizures, as well as pass the time. Who knew how long this Paquin would take? <br /><br />

“Sorry, not a replacement. Anything else I’m missing?” <br /><br />

-<br /><br />

“You named your ship?” Apparently everyone did that. Her father did it, her mother did it. Paquin found it strange, but that’s because piloting wasn’t her forte. She had little to no interest in it, but it probably would have come in handy earlier in life. Nowadays, as well, but she could actually fly. Just not very well.<br /><br />

“No, I can do it.” She declined Mira’s offer as they stepped onto her ship. She glanced around the ship, taking notice of the disarray of loose crystals—which she guessed were kyber crystals—among random mechanical parts. The interior didn’t really click with Mira’s personality.<br /><br />

Paquin took the pilot’s seat and began pressing buttons to get the ship started. The dash wasn’t as archaic as the ships she’d flown, so not many buttons needed to be pressed. “Am I missing anything?” She asked Mira. The ship was definitely started, the engine could be heard.<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

General Hux turned upon hearing his name, eyes narrowing at the out of uniform Stormtrooper. He was fully prepared to reprimand, but he stopped listening at ‘RL-0022’. His brain was slowly registering it, the gears turning, “You said RL-0022, correct?” He asked, interrupting the trooper’s babble.<br /><br />

“Yes, sir,” Phasma confirmed.<br /><br />

“Aren’t you supposed to be with Mira Ren?” He questioned, although he knew the answer. Something was not right. He just wasn't sure what. Mira had left with someone who was certainly not the real RL-0022. And they'd taken his armor and lied about who he was. But why? If whoever she left with was a Stormtrooper, there would be no point in changing their identity.<br /><br />

'It wasn't a Stormtrooper,' It was either his mind or his gut telling him. "Captain, would you mind checking on the disposal of our last prisoners?" He questioned without explaining, "I'll stay here and deal with 0022." Only he wasn't going to discipline the trooper, rather shove him in Mira's face upon her return, if she was conscious, and question what the hell was going on. 

</p>

Talkative Ariel. In some ways, Kylo appreciated this Knight, too. They all had their quirks. Ariel had always been easy to get along with, though, but hardly refined. She could never do what either Kevan or Mira could. ‘And Mira would be more likely to become Kevan’s replacement, if….’ If the Resistance didn’t know her. If Leia didn’t know her.

Unfortunately, she was known.

“Scary ginger? Don’t tell me you’re afraid of General Sux, Ariel,” he said, noting the ship was rising. He figured he could help keep her talking. He knew enough about concussions to know that sleeping was bad. “The other news you may be familiar with. Mira finally found a planet with a major kyber crystal cache, so we will soon be rebuilding a new weapon of death. Not sure if it will be a planet this time,” he hadn’t been privy to the Korriban blueprints, yet.

Building wasn’t exactly his forte. “And General Sux and Mira,” he’d use it just to amuse himself, and Ariel. He didn’t need Ariel running scared around the ginger, “were nearly assassinated on a diplomatic mission. The mission was a success, from what I hear.”

He saw Mira’s ship go into lightspeed, so he immediately followed, soon reappearing within the debris of Alderaan and then having to manually take over.

~***~

“Of course I named my ship,” Mira found it odd that was questioned. “Most do,” Millenium Falcon, Finalizer, Death Star—it was harder to think of ships that weren’t named. Well, aside from all the Stormtrooper fighters. Perhaps that’s why Paquin found it odd. She dealt with Stormtroopers.

Mira found herself in the co-pilot seat, and was not happy to be there. Her eyes scrutinized everything Paquin did, but she kept her lips sealed, relieved when she did seem to grasp it. Mira didn’t nod. Nodding didn’t feel great. “You got it,” she said to her. “Now just get us outside of the Alderaan debris, drive it to base, and land it in Hangar 5.” Kylo would likely have to go to a different hangar. Their two ships wouldn’t really fit in the same one. The wingspan of Kylo’s ship was far too extensive.

~***~

RL-0022 was confused. Why would he be with a Knight of Ren? His confusion must have registered on his face, for Phasma was dismissed. ‘Great. I was supposed to be with a Knight. I really fucked up.’ This was absolutely not his day. What was Hux going to do?

His panic rose, and he glanced down, fidgeting more with his sweating hands and trying not to babble as Phasma left, or beg her to stay. “S-Sir, I had no idea I was supposed to be with a Knight. I am sorry, no one informed me of this.”

He was certain he was screwed. He didn’t want to look up to see the anger that was likely etched upon Hux’s face.

<p>

“General Sux,” She chuckled at the childish name, “Is a little scary. Not the scary that would have me running to my mommy with my tail between my legs, but he’s a little intimidating. And now he’s going to get a brand new death machine.” General Hux was scary, but, although Snoke wouldn’t be happy about it, she could easily snap his neck without touching him. If need be.<br /><br />

Ariel was surprised that the intimidating General they were just speaking about, had been on a diplomatic mission with Mira. Mira wasn’t so hard to believe, with how collected she was. But Hux was a military man, as defined by the title of General. Desperate times call for desperate measures. “Mira’s immortal, it would seem.” Ariel joked.<br /><br />

Mira had survived an assassination attempt, as well as avoided being blown to bits. “She’ll outlive all of us, I’m sure of it,” Ariel grinned as she leaned forward and rested her head on the dash. She knew she wasn’t supposed to sleep, so she fought to keep her eyes open.<br /><br />

But luckily it wasn’t long until they reached the base. Maybe she could sleep while being monitored, possibly get some painkillers after the alcohol was out of her system.<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

With Mira’s instructions, Paquin raised the ship and once they were safely out of Tatooine’s atmosphere, she relaxed. She was still careful while she maneuvered passed the debris of Alderaan. It was a little rough, a few last minute twists and turns that she apologized profusely for, but they were eventually passed that.<br /><br />

Then in no time they were returning to the base, circling around to Hangar 5. Groups of troopers moved out of the way as they made moves to land. Just like most of the trip, the landing was a little harsh. They just sort of plopped into a spot, the ship made a noise of disagreement from the harsh landing. “Whoops. You okay?” She questioned as she began switching everything off, as well as opening the ramp.<br /><br />

Around them, troopers began to strap the ship down. Paquin stood from the pilot’s seat, “Come, it’s best we fix you and Ariel up quickly. The longer wounds are untreated, the more prone to infection they are.”<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

“Calm down,” Hux instructed. He was angry and he wasn’t concealing it. He just wasn’t angry at RL-0022. He was angry at three people. Mira, Kylo, and himself. Mira because of her traitorous actions, no doubt. Kylo because, once again, his Knights have betrayed the Order. He needed to get a grip on them. And, finally, himself. He had trusted a Knight too much and allowed a prisoner to walk on out. He should have known better.<br /><br />

“You were not supposed to be with a Knight of Ren. But you were supposed to be on a mission with your squad. Don’t let yourself miss an assignment again or I will send you to reconditioning. ” Hux wasn’t as focused on punishing the trooper, it wasn’t his main concern, but he still had to discipline him in some way. <br /><br />

Phasma returned not long after and not with good news. “There’s only one prisoner’s body accounted for, sir.” <br /><br />

“That little bitch,” Hux hissed under his breath, all fondness towards Mira disappearing in an instant. She was a traitor and he’d had enough of those. <br /><br />

Poor RL-0022, he was thrown right in the middle of this.

</p>

‘He’s good with the death machines.’ Kylo would never say it aloud, but he knew there was a reason Snoke gave him charge of those things. Hux could run and manage them. Kylo would have probably just destroyed planet after planet, and cared little about the rebel ships…which would have been his downfall. ‘We still lost Starkiller, but….’

Well, they’d have a new one. A better one. “Immortal?” Kylo glanced at Ariel, and scoffed at the idea, “Hardly.”

Mira was clever. It was a kind of immortality, but Kylo doubted she would outlive him. Clever only got one so far. There were people who didn’t care about clever, who would resort to violence at any means, and Mira wouldn’t stand a chance. She could fight, of course, but someone like Rey would tear Mira to pieces.

That’s what Kylo liked to believe, anyway. He didn’t like to consider Mira might succeed where he failed.

Kylo flew his ship into the Hangar he had been in previously, knowing it would be different from Mira’s. He landed lightly, and then rose, offering his arm to Ariel if she needed it. She did take it to get up, but didn’t continue to lean on him. “We’ll get you to the med bay first. You can work on outliving Mira by not dying of liver failure.”

That would be what killed Ariel. Not a lightsaber. Not an accident. Liver failure.

Hardly glorious.

Curiously enough, when Kylo stepped out of the ship with Ariel behind him, he could sense Hux. The anger was pure and unhidden. ‘Interesting.’ It made Kylo smile, just a little. “You sure you don’t want to run and hide?” He had to ask Ariel, assuming she felt it as well.

~***~

Mira winced each time the ship was jostled, not because of pain, but because of fear and an emotional sort of pain about her ship being treated so roughly. She grit her teeth and let Paquin’s apologies roll over her, until they landed. “I’m fine,” she spoke, managing to speak clearly and not through gritted teeth.

“I’m teaching you to fly a ship,” she managed to say, as evenly as she could, before she rose to exit her own ship—and to check it as the Troopers strapped it down.

Yet, when she stepped out, she, too, felt the rage from Hux. ‘What happened? Has Kevan…?’ Mira didn’t want to finish the thought. She refocused her attention on her ship, looking for any dents or indications of injury, apparently more concerned about it than her own health.

Then she remembered Paquin, and the injuries. She turned back to her, “Let’s get this over with,” she didn’t want to, but she knew she was injured. She needed to be seen. Then she could find RL-0022.

~***~

RL-0022 was surprised by Hux’s words, and did look up then. Yes, Hux was angry. However, he looked distracted, hardly focused on RL-0022. Hux didn’t explain why Mira was mentioned, and RL-0022 imagined it was something way above his paygrade. “Okay, Sir. I won’t miss another mission, Sir.”

Phasma returned then, and he looked towards her as she gave her report. Only one prisoner. No doubt there were more—and from Hux’s words, he gathered that the ‘bitch’ was Mira. A Knight in trouble? He was unaware of Kevan’s treachery, so this seemed like a scandal. How would Kylo react?

Well, he didn’t want to be there, he knew that much. “May I be dismissed to, uh,” anything else. Literally, anything else.

Phasma didn’t say ‘okay’. She got the sense her intuition had been correct, and RL-0022 might be useful to Hux if he remained. “Sir, should I have the Troopers prepared to arrest Mira Ren when she returns?” She was unaware, of course, that Mira Ren was already back.

<p>

“My liver is in great shape. Liver failure is for old people, you guys have no clue what you’re talking about.” Ariel shook her head, again regretting it. She paused for a second, just to make sure she wouldn’t start seizing. When she didn’t, she followed Kylo out of his ship and was hit with a wave of anger.<br /><br />

She wasn’t sure who was so angry, not until Kylo asked if she wanted to run and hide. “On second thought, I think I’m better off on Tatooine,” she joked but pushed passed Kylo. She wondered what Hux was so angry about. Maybe Kylo had done something before he left. It made her curious as to whether or not Hux and Kylo ever yelled at each other.<br /><br />

She paused when she had no idea where she was going, she was simply following the anger. She doubted that would be the way to go, so she waited for Kylo. “Your base, lead the way.” She gestured in front of her. Despite her curiosity about Hux and his rage, her top priority was getting her head fixed and get send on her way.<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

“Oh, well,” Paquin began to protest Mira’s flying lesson but decided it might not actually be a bad idea. It was evident just how terrible Paquin’s flying was, Mira’s actions said it all. “Alright.” She shrugged, waiting for Mira to finish inspecting her ship for any deformations. She wasn’t offended by her actions. She actually felt bad.<br /><br />

Paquin began to lead the way to the med bay upon Mira’s words. “It won’t be that bad. It’ll only take maybe twenty minutes.” Mira seemed to be normal, for a concussed person. Paquin wouldn’t have to go through asking questions about where she was born or what her parents’ names were, Mira’s mind seemed to be functioning just fine.<br /><br />

Hux’s anger wasn’t obvious to Paquin, but she felt it. It wasn’t as though she knew exactly what it was coming from, but as they neared the med bay it started to unnerve the medic. <br /><br />

The first person she spotted in the med bay made her freeze. “RL-0022?” She was confused. Had he gotten there before them? As she stepped further into the med bay, Hux and Phasma entered her line of sight as well. Hux was so clearly angry, no trace of worry on his features. Was he angry at 0022?<br /><br />

-<br /><br />

“No, that won’t be necessary.” He wanted to see Mira start to panic, and having her arrested right on the spot wouldn’t be fun. Not to mention she wouldn’t be able to do much, she was injured. It may have been a little twisted, but he wanted to watch as she realized that she fucked up. Surely she wouldn’t be able to disguise that behind a stony gaze. He couldn’t wait to see Kylo’s face either. He hoped Kylo would be as enraged as he was. Two traitorous knights, he had to get angry. <br /><br />

Hux couldn’t order the Knights to be executed, not unless Snoke gave the word. But he knew Kylo could, and for once he wanted Kylo to throw a tantrum and slice someone in half. “You stay, 22,” Hux instructed as he remembered the trooper had asked to be dismissed. No, he’d be useful.<br /><br />

Hux heard Paquin first, as she spoke, and then he saw Mira. “Come,” He gestured both Paquin and Mira forward, his voice calm, creepily so. Kylo was absent, as was the other Knight. It was disappointing, not being able to see both their features change as he called Mira out on her betrayal. <br /><br />

“I seemed to have misjudged you, Mira. I thought you were smarter,” his voice did not raise despite the fact that he grew angrier with each word. He ignored just about every presence, except Mira’s. “Did you really think you’d succeed in your treachery?” His hand shot out to grip 0022’s arm, shoving the trooper in front of himself. 

</p>

Mira sensed that Hux was in the direction they were heading, which meant they’d soon see him, and perhaps know why he was upset. The answer came from Paquin’s lips once they entered, and Mira stiffened. Her mind blanked all of its thoughts for an instance, raw panic rising, before Hux spoke.

The cold logic she was known for came crashing back. The wide eyes returned to normal. The color she’d lost didn’t quite return, though. Mira knew she was dead; why should she have the hue of a living person? She was injured enough to account for any loss of color, anyway.

Mira’s steps, while still not quite graceful, were as steady as she could make them as she approached. ‘So was it worth it?’ Her gaze slipped towards Phasma and RL-0022, and then, to Hux.

‘Was it worth it?’

RL-0022 was brought between her and Hux. She looked down upon the Trooper, than back to Hux, when she flatly admitted, “Thirty more minutes, and I would have altered the memories of RL-0022 enough. So, yes, General.” If Paquin was right in estimating twenty minutes to heal. Mira moved to one of the medical cots then, and sat down at the end of it.

After all, Kylo was not far, and he entered onto the scene with Ariel, a smile on his lips that died as he took in the scene. He didn’t understand it, not until Mira spoke to say: “Kylo, meet RL-0022,” she gestured to the poor Trooper who definitely wanted out of the room now that Kylo was in it.

Kylo’s gaze narrowed. “How is he here before us?”

“He never left.” Mira would prefer a quick death, she decided. She lifted her head enough to say, “By the way, Leia sends her love.” It was one thing that might upset Kylo enough to just kill her.

Many things clicked in Kylo’s mind with that simple phrase, with Hux’s anger, and with the nervous Stormtrooper. Most of all was the fact that Mira had, in some way, betrayed them and dared to walk amongst them. He had his ideas of how, but breaking her mind was difficult.

That didn’t mean he wouldn’t try, but first things first…there was another potential traitor in the room.

His hand flew out towards Mira, and she was lifted from the cot, but not thrown. No, this was just to silence her completely, to cut off her oxygen, and he was satisfied to see her uninjured hand reach up towards her neck at the invisible enemy. She didn’t retaliate—not yet. As much as he wanted to kill her, Mira's words had the adverse effect of making Kylo realize she had spoken to Leia, and finding out what had transpired between the two women was important.

His gaze turned on Ariel. “The truth, Ariel, or I will rip it from your mind.” And he wasn’t worried at all about taking it from Ariel. Her mind was not as well guarded.

Ariel glanced at RL-0022, at Hux, Mira, and then Kylo. The truth came from her lips immediately. She might have covered for Mira earlier, but not in this situation, when the truth was so blatantly obvious, “There wasn’t a Stormtrooper. Mira asked me to cover for her—I don’t know what she did.”

That hardly satisfied Kylo. Disobedient Knights, in front of Hux—no, that wouldn’t do. He released Mira to focus his attention on tearing Ariel’s recent memories from her mind instead.

Mira dropped right back onto the cot, but curiously, didn’t bother to retaliate, nor even to run. She simply pressed one hand to her throat and tried to clear it. She wanted to say that Ariel was innocent, but Kylo wouldn’t believe it. Best to let him get the information and see for himself. Then he’d realize that Mira was the only one with any information on what she’d done. Paquin could heal Ariel. Mira would be taken to a cell, and she'd die long before Kylo ever got a word more from her.

'Was it worth it?'

Not really, but Mira wouldn't change a thing. 'There is no Death. There is only the Force.'

<p>

Ariel let Kylo invade her mind without a fight. Of course, there was that natural resistance there that didn’t aid in relieving her of the already present headache. But it was better for him to figure out for himself that she did not, in fact, know anything about what Mira did. All Ariel had done was lie about a Stormtrooper.<br /><br />

Hux watched, so clearly displeased. Phasma and RL-0022 looked on, knowing neither of them should get involved with this. It was above their paygrade. Paquin had no idea what to do. She wanted to grab 0022 and run out of the room, as they were the ones that were unneeded at that moment. The interactions happening were not fun to witness<br /><br />

Hux didn’t wait until Kylo finished sifting through Ariel’s thoughts, “We’re missing a prisoner. Unless he up and disappeared into thin air, I imagine that’s who your Knight shoved into 22’s armor.” His rage and disgust was evident in his voice as he filled Kylo in on what he knew. “What she did with him, and what she was doing with your mother is up in the air.”<br /><br />

Paquin settled on doing what she was supposed to do: her job. She walked around the med bay, gathering whatever she may have needed and dropped the items on a cart. She dragged the cart, as well as a chair, over to Mira and sat down. She knew it was fruitless to help Mira, she was going to die. That much was predictable. But Ariel was a little preoccupied and Paquin needed something to do other than stand around.<br /><br />

Paquin pulled Mira’s bad hand into her lap and began picking out the splinters with tweezers. As she did so, she thought. She had noticed that there was something up with RL, or rather not RL. If she had just said something, told him that he couldn’t go, this wouldn’t be happening. Mira would have been found out, and maybe the severity of the situation would have changed. <br /><br />

Hux took notice of Paquin helping Mira, but didn’t stop it. In the long run, it wouldn’t matter. “I trust you, Master of the Knights of Ren,” he was using the title mockingly, “to get whatever information out of her you can. Snoke will need to be informed of a second traitor. He won’t be happy.” <br /><br />

No, Snoke will be furious. Maybe even more so than Hux and Kylo combined. There was no doubt in Hux’s mind that Mira’s <br />

execution would be ordered, but Snoke would still have to be told beforehand. Two out of the five Knights, not including Paquin, were traitors. It made Hux wonder if the Supreme Leader would even bother keeping the Knights together. <br /><br />

“I hope you’ll learn from whatever mistakes you’ve made with Kevan and Mira. I pray no more traitors will arise from your little group,” Now he was taunting Kylo to relieve some of his anger, but it wasn’t doing much of anything for him. Although, it did please him that Kylo had more traitors in his group than the Order had.<br /><br />

It became apparent to Ariel, who had a raging migraine, that Hux liked the sound of his own voice. But she was in no position to tell him to shut up, she was a contender for being labelled a traitor along with Mira. <br /><br />

Ariel felt she should have been a little more suspicious of Mira. She shouldn’t have been so willing to cover for her without knowing all the details because now she was in trouble. If only she had pieced it together. The strange call, the lack of Stormtrooper, the news of Kevan. ‘Today is not turning out how I planned it,’ no doubt that was the same for everyone in the room. 

</p>

It was painfully clear to Kylo that Ariel knew nothing. Still, he sought deeper, not wanting to believe that Ariel had so easily trusted Mira—but then, hadn’t they all? ‘Clever only gets one so far.’ Immortal Mira no more. He finally pulled out of Ariel’s mind as Hux’s words bit into him and he rounded on the man.

How he wanted to cut his head off.

Or Mira’s head.

Anyone’s head.

His rage was in his eyes. “Paquin, don’t help her,” he said as he noticed Paquin had situated herself near Mira.

Mira had allowed it. There was no harm, and she could see that poor Paquin needed the distraction amidst the chaos unfolding. Hux’s anger, Kylo’s anger, and her the traitor. ‘I wonder if I could haunt Kevan. Or Kylo.’ Kylo would be more entertaining. What a pity it had to end so soon. Still, Mira had found her calm again, and when Kylo ordered Paquin to cease, she moved her bad hand.

“Go help Ariel. She needs it,” unlike Mira. The splinters were all removed by then, and Mira looked to Kylo, “Go on then. Do as Hux asked.” Her tone dared him. There wasn’t a chance in the Void Mira would say anything.

"Why don't you just admit it? You know how this will end." Kylo offered. "What did you do with the prisoner? What did you tell General Organa?"

Mira smiled. It was not kind. Her silence said enough. She did indeed know where this would lead, but she also knew Kylo couldn't break her. He was speaking in the vain hope that she was tired, or injured, enough to just tell him. That was not the case. She was quite lucid, and she knew that speaking meant death. Silence, however...silence meant life.

Kylo’s nose wrinkled. He could read the dare in her look, the mockery, the suggestion that he wasn't good enough. He looked to Phasma and 0022. “Get out.” He would have ordered Ariel and Paquin out, if this wasn’t the med bay. He supposed he ought to grab Mira and haul her out, but her tone made him act instead. As he’d done with Ariel, he reached out to try and grab Mira’s thoughts. “Go tell Snoke now if you like,” he snapped to Hux right before starting.

Mira felt it, and canted her head up. She dared to smile as she shut her eyes. Kylo Ren wasn’t focused like her, and he left himself open—it was how the Scavenger had gotten into his head. Mira already knew where that ‘door’ was, and she knew how to wreak unholy havoc on Kylo Ren when he tried to get into her head.

He should have learned long ago.

This time it wasn’t Mira that screamed. It was Kylo, who felt the sharp pain as it seemed like thousands of shards of glass were shoved right into his skull, and he took several steps back.

Mira let go when Kylo’s hold broke, and opened her eyes again. ‘I told you.’ This was her area. Which meant, she could live longer—so long as she had information, they wouldn’t kill her. ‘Go ahead and leave Kylo alone with me. I’ll have my fun.’

Phasma was getting out of the situation per Kylo’s words. She grabbed 0022, who seemed a bit shellshocked now, and started towards the door, sparing Kylo a glance when he seemed in pain and then glancing to Hux. She almost wanted to grab him, to let this be a matter of the Knights, before it got too bad—but she trusted Hux to determine that for himself.

<p>

Paquin did as Kylo ordered, only after pulling out all the splinters. She wished she could disinfect them, but that wouldn’t matter. Besides, she didn’t want to get in the middle of anything. So, she stood from her position and wheeled everything over to another cot, gesturing for Ariel to sit.<br /><br />

Ariel quickly took a seat on the cot, eager to get away from Kylo, as well as get her head fixed. In all honesty, she wanted out of the room. To go back to Tatooine. Maybe she and the medic could devise a plan to escape because clearly Paquin didn’t want to be there either.<br /><br />

As Paquin got to work and patching up Ariel’s head, Hux hovered around them. He wasn’t watching the two girls, rather paying attention to Kylo and Mira from a safe distance. Kylo looked about ready to kill someone and Hux wouldn’t doubt it if he made a move to.<br /><br />

Hux found himself angered as he watched the scene. Mira was smiling and then Kylo started to scream. He’d briefly forgotten that mind games happened to be what Mira was exceptional at. It would be difficult to get anything out of her, and he doubted traditional torture methods would work out.<br /><br />

Maybe they could just kill her. They knew where the Resistance base was, they could storm in and grab Leia. Hux didn’t know how in tune with the Force General Organa was, but surely she couldn’t keep Kylo out. If Kylo would even have the guts to rip through his mother’s head.<br /><br />

No, that would be too risky. That would be the Resistance’s turf, the Order would be no match. They needed Mira to talk.<br /><br />

Hux decided not to stay for much longer, leaving to inform Snoke. Hux was useless at that moment and Snoke needed to be spoken to. Not to mention things were likely going to get worse. Maybe Snoke would have some insight on getting into Mira’s head. So, the General followed out the door that Phasma and the traumatized trooper had left out of, but not before stopping to say something.<br /><br />

“We will get what we need one way or another. I promise you that, Ceres.” He hissed, hoping that using her original name would affect her. Whether it would aid in getting Kylo into her head, or simply angering her. He’d take what he could get. But with that, he turned and bowed out of the room.<br /><br />

Paquin seemed more startled by Kylo’s screaming than Ariel. She instinctually stood from her seat and went to steady Kylo, one hand gripping his wrist as if that would do anything. “Are you okay?” She questioned, quickly dropping her hand and stepping away in case he decided to lash out. ‘No, Paquin, he’s not okay.’<br /><br />

Paquin returned to Ariel, continuing her work on her head. “Is there anything I can do to help?” She offered, quietly. She couldn’t think of anything she’d be able to do except drug Mira, maybe then she wouldn’t be able to keep Kylo out of her head.<br /><br />

The medic’s offer seemed to amuse the redheaded Knight, as she snorted. “Not likely,” Ariel knew Kylo wouldn’t be able to get in Mira’s head unless she let him. She doubted Paquin would be able to do anything except give Kylo some ibuprofen for whatever form of a headache he may have had. 

</p>

‘Ah yes. I told you too much.’

Mira was reminded of that when Hux dared to use her name, the way Leia had. However, she remained calm where she was, watching as everyone seemed to believe Kylo had this handled, leaving no Troopers in the room, and Kylo wounded in a way Hux couldn’t fathom.

Paquin couldn’t fight her.

Ariel was in no condition, either, if she would.

So, Mira rose from her cot, and walked to the door as Kylo lifted his head at Paquin’s question. “No,” he hissed out, before noticing Mira, “And where are you going?” He snapped.

“Wherever I like,” Mira answered him, that smile now gone from her lips. It crossed her mind to see about taking Hux hostage, but she'd never get out alive with him. At least on her own, she stood a chance of making a dash back to her ship. Besides, every second let Hux get further way, and to Snoke, most likely.

Mira knew Kylo couldn't get into her head.

That rule did not hold true with Snoke. “Unless you’d like to try again?” Mira offered her good hand in his direction, though the invitation was a lie. Kylo was arrogant enough, though, and riled up. Mira hated to admit it, but this was one of the reasons she stuck with so many of the Jedi teachings. Though she was in pain, though she was afraid, she could see quite clearly that there was an opportunity here. Her head was clear.

Kylo didn’t take that invitation, though. He pulled his lightsaber out this time, illuminating it, and Mira took several steps back, not able to approach the door before Kylo was in her path. The blade hummed in the air as he let the red light dance between them. “Oh, are you not so good at this?” He taunted.

“No, not so good as you,” she admitted, and yet took her own blade into hand. “Careful, Ren. Caged animals.” She warned, and meant it.

Kylo’s crystal was broken.

Mira could shatter hers for an explosion, attuned to it as she was. It’d be bad, but with escape on her mind now, it was one of the few options since Kylo stopped taking the bait of mind games. Shame. She preferred that game.

<p>

Paquin was fine with not being useful during the situation. She was even more fine with being useless when weapons were drawn. It was the first time she’d seen a lightsaber in person, but she was fairly certain that Kylo’s did not look right. She didn’t say that, though. Maybe later, when no one was going to kill anyone.<br /><br />

‘Later,’ Paquin didn’t want to be around later. <br /><br />

“Should we do something?” Paquin asked Ariel as she finished with the wound on her head. It was strange to be doing that in their current circumstance, but it was her job.<br /><br />

“No.” Ariel loved Mira. She loved Kylo. But above all, she loved herself. Living. She was not going to quite possibly give that up to help either one of them. “You shouldn’t do anything unless you want your head cut off.” She offered advice as she stood, aiming to get as far away from the potential lightsaber battle as possible.<br /><br />

Too bad Mira and Kylo were blocking the exit.<br /><br />

‘I have a bad feeling about this.’ And Paquin had a right to be nervous. For a number of reasons, the least dramatic one being that her med bay would be destroyed. The most would be that they could all die in a bloody, fiery clash of sabers. With that thought, she joined Ariel in delving deeper into the med center in an attempt to save themselves from whatever may happen.<br /><br />

Both of them were truly useless at the moment. Well, not Ariel, but she wasn’t in any condition, nor willing to fight anyone. Paquin couldn’t do anything like shoot at Mira or stab her and she was about as willing to give up her as Ariel was. So, it was best to let Kylo and Mira fight it out, whoever may die, dies. And they’d pray neither of them got in the middle of it.<br /><br />

It seemed that Kylo was set to win. Not only physically, but by their conversation. Mira had admitted to Kylo being better at swordplay than her.<br /><br />

Maybe if she screamed, Phasma and Hux would come running back. Then no one would have to watch anyone get slashed in half by a glow stick, Phasma could overpower just about everyone. No, they were probably too far away now. Maybe if the fire alarm was set off, then the whole ship would know. ‘But how would I do that?’ 

</p>

Even in peak condition, Mira knew she wasn’t a match for Kylo in a fair fight—not that either of them ever fought fair. With one hand wounded enough to be useless, Mira stood no chance. ‘Except the fact that Kylo won’t kill you.’ She had that advantage.

‘But you won’t kill him, either.’

For love of Ben, if nothing else. For love of who he once was.

There were seconds in silence where it seemed both agreed that Paquin and Ariel were going to be given time to get to freedom. “Why?” Kylo asked.

Mira just shook her head. Saying anything, even an explanation, told him too much. “Then you’re no longer a Knight, Ceres.” He snapped and stepped forward, the blade humming in the air as he moved it, gaining momentum.

‘And perhaps you’re not Ben.’ For once, the name Ceres didn’t hurt.

Mira deflected Kylo’s first strike, but had to keep moving to avoid the next, as Mira had no intention of getting locked with Kylo. His saber was an abomination, but it was a useful abomination. A step to the left, and Mira felt her side get slashed open as Kylo spun on his heel and swung his blade wide.

A pull of the Force, and Kylo nearly stumbled back as Mira briefly pulled his cloak to the ground. She slashed at his wrist and had it deflected by one of the vents. He stepped forward, and Mira was able to twist her body enough to avoid the next blow, instead throwing an elbow into Kylo’s face as they shifted positions.

Her back was now to the exit, and she smirked. ‘Just get to the exit.’ Though Kylo had to know that obvious plan. It was the last part she was hoping he wouldn’t figure out in time. Obviously she wouldn’t be able to outrun him and get in her ship. Even slamming a door in his face wouldn’t be enough.

So, as Kylo realized her new position, she turned and ran, opening the door with the Force. However, just as she was two steps out and heard Kylo’s steps right behind her, she spun around and threw the lightsaber. The blade itself faded without her touch on it, but she didn’t care about that.

Kylo felt the pressure, and halted immediately. He knew what that was—it was how he’d nearly destroyed his own saber when crafting it. He lifted his hand and quickly halted the saber in midair, and pushed it back. It didn’t get far enough to spare him when it exploded, but it took Mira with it since she had moved to run, rather than protect herself.

Kylo was blasted back into the medbay, burns lancing across his body and his face, but he remained conscious. He let out a frustrated scream and got back to his feet almost immediately in spite of his wounds.

It was at that point that Ariel stopped moving further back. “That can’t be good,” another explosion was not a good thing. She looked back, retraced a few of her steps so she could see the main area again, and put a hand to the wall as she saw Kylo getting to his feet. She never saw Kylo wounded—she’d heard of his fight with Rey, of course, but she hadn’t seen it. ‘The hell did Mira do?’

The answer came as Kylo cleared the doorway and Ariel saw the debris of a lightsaber. ‘Oh.’ Clever. Just not clever enough.

She glanced to Paquin, “So. About those pain pills,” even if she had alcohol in her system, she felt like this had sobered her up.

Kylo put his lightsaber away on stepping out and seeing Mira, lying again, not getting up.

It was tempting to just end her. End this pain she was causing. However, he didn’t. He walked to where she was, wounded by two explosions now. These new wounds didn’t bleed, fortunately for her, but the force of it paired with her already wounded head was enough to knock her out again. He lifted her up on his own, and started walking towards the cells as if nothing had happened.

<p>

The sounds coming from the main area were unsettling, to say the least. And then came the explosion and screaming and then silence. Ariel went and peeked her head out, Paquin followed but did not want to see whatever damage had been done. Upon Ariel requesting painkillers, she did dare to look at the damage. But not before shutting down Ariel, “No pain pills.”<br /><br />

Paquin felt like taking something a little stronger than pain pills. Not much of the main area was damaged, all the important stuff in tact. She spotted the retreating form of Kylo with an unconscious Mira. “Does this happen often?” The medic questioned Ariel, turning to face her for a brief moment. But she didn't really wait for an answer<br /><br />

‘What the hell did I sign up for?’ Too late to back out now. She almost felt like ripping her hair out of her bun. She couldn’t help but feel a little screwed over, but it was her own fault. She didn’t read the fine print. <br /><br />

Paquin was hesitant to follow after them, but it was likely that one or both of them needed some form of assistance. Mira was knocked out, she’d have to be monitored. She figured Kylo wanted to keep her alive, that’s why he didn’t murder her when he had the chance. So, Paquin’s new job was to keep her alive. Hopefully, the repeated head injuries didn’t already cause brain damage. Someone would have to be assigned to check on her constantly.<br /><br />

She made a gesture for Ariel to follow her, not really trusting the Knight alone in a center full of various drugs. She was an alcoholic, Paquin wouldn’t doubt it if she were a druggie, too.<br /><br />

Paquin snatched up the bag she’d been toting around, figuring it would have whatever she may need in it. She followed a safe distance behind Kylo and Mira, wondering how he seemed so calm after a lightsaber blew up in their faces. ‘They’re all insane,’ she decided, but that was already known information.<br /><br />

A few Stormtroopers had begun to wander their way towards the med bay, no doubt hearing the explosion if they were in the area. It wasn’t quiet at all. It was an explosion. No one questioned Kylo, though. They just stared from underneath their helmets, wondering what the hell had happened. Rumors would likely be circulating in a few hours.<br /><br />

Paquin wondered if Hux had heard it, or if he was already in his meeting with Snoke. She could only imagine how furious he’d be upon finding out about what’d happened, why Mira was still alive. If Kylo didn’t change his mind and kill her, that is. Paquin could imagine the look on his face, his trademark sneer. She could hear his accent throwing a hissy fit.<br /><br />

"Are you alright? Is there anything on Mira that I need to look at?" Paquin questioned after a while, just loud enough for Kylo to hear. The medic had no clue what mindset Kylo was in, she didn't want to set him off. She blamed Kylo for her sudden fear of his backlash, because of the scene in the garden.<br /><br />

She looked behind her to check on Ariel, seeing her trailing along just fine. She shouldn't have been moving so much, but again, Paquin didn't trust her in the med bay. 

</p>

Kylo’s tantrums happened often, but this? “No. Just…just once before,” before Kevan, and that had not been pretty. Snoke had gotten into that one and tore everything from their mind, leaving that Knight little more than a husk of a person.

There had been no question after that as to why Snoke was the Supreme Leader.

Kylo never looked back at them as Ariel trailed along. She didn’t envy Paquin at all—this was not going to be an easy trip, but the Knights always came out on top. The First Order would, too. It was just unfortunate that some, Mira, Kevan, and FN-whatever, couldn’t manage the hardships on the way. ‘But why?’ Ariel had to wonder. Sure, Kevan and Mira were friends—but weren’t Kylo and Mira also friends? They had their disagreements, but Ariel knew that Kylo and Mira went back further than the rest.

So why now? Why not for Knight Mathias?

Ariel winced when she heard Paquin ask if Kylo was okay. There would only be one answer now: “Fine.” He snapped. By then, they were at the cells, but Kylo bypassed the normal ones and went right to the one with the chair to hold prisoners, where he immediately deposited Mira and began to strap her in, “Just make sure she lives to speak, or think,” it was frustrating having her in this state. People had to be conscious and thinking for him to be able to get anything.

His doubts were eating away at his patience, too. He and Mira used to practice together, and in all his practice, he’d not once broken through her shields.

He might have said more, but a beep on his wrist distracted him. He drew his wrist up without consideration, and pressed the button, thinking it was Snoke summoning him to the meeting with Hux.

It wasn’t.

Kevan stood there, no longer in the attire of a Knight, “Good afternoon, Kylo.”

And Kylo immediately moved to the door, wanting this to be private. He all but shoved Ariel into the room with Paquin so she wouldn’t be privy to anything Kevan had to say.

“I see you’re alive and well. You have Mira to thank, don’t you?” Kylo sneered once he was outside the room.

Kevan looked momentarily surprised, and then, shook his head, “No,” he had made a promise to himself that he wouldn’t out Mira, even if she was caught. “Afraid not. You see, I joined the Resistance…more or less. You should check in with the bases on Tatooine. I think you’ll find the First Order is soon to be ousted from this planet…completely.” Which would just piss Kylo off so much. It was a planet rich from trade, which would also disturb Hux, but it also allowed certain things like slavery…so it would eat into his business of obtaining Stormtroopers, too.

Not to mention, all the soldiers that were going to die. And the fact this was Anakin’s home planet.

Kylo felt a mix of rage and guilt. Was Kevan lying? What had Mira done then, if he wasn't lying? "Traitor." It was the only word he was able to form right then, trying to wrap his head around how the Resistance could possibly claim Tatooine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back