• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Kylo didn’t much care about the base factor. They seemed to have plenty of bases, and he shook his head at that, but didn’t immediately say it. They needed to start focusing on attacking, on taking actual, useful, planets. Planets that would help them rule the galaxy.

They didn’t need one more base.

His attention was drawn from speaking to that, from what Pryde had to say to Paquin. He felt himself bristle a bit at that. The Knights of Ren should be treated with more respect than that. Not that they’d be disrespected, but, their rank shouldn’t be in question. “I want to know what he’s collected,” Kylo said, and added, “The Knights of Ren should have access to anything that Snoke has collected.”

Gnaeus tilted his head up, a bit surprised by that.

“We are able to use the Force, we may be better able to understand it or unravel it. I’m sure Snoke has done some of that work himself, and any notes he has taken on his collection would be useful, but given the new situation we are in, we need to consider what is here.”

The Allegiant General took it in stride, still. “Very well, I will see to it that his collection is gathered. Shall we bring it here?”

“Yes,” why was that even a question? ’50 thousand bases.’ Right, that was why. “There’s no need to create a new base over the Valley of the Jedi, should we find it, either. It seems we have more than enough facilities. We should be focusing on using these points to begin coordinating attacks on the galaxy.”

Certainly, they had the numbers and the tools, even without the Order. Right?

~***~

“Riiiight,” Poe knew there was nothing that could solve all their problems. The Knights would probably know about it, right? Maybe. Poe walked in, glancing around, noting the state of the place. It certainly felt a bit more lived in than he was expecting. He wasn’t sure why he was expecting dust on everything, but he was.

Probably all the sand outside.

“Yeah, I’m sure I’m gonna find something I want,” Poe might find something in the fridge, but he decided not to ransack the fridge. Tempting as it was. He noted the direction Finn went in, and his bit of warning.

He might not be concerned about himself, but he was concerned about losing sight of Finn. Still, he played it off, “Don’t worry buddy, I’ll stay in sight. You won’t miss me.” He chuckled, walking by Finn as he stepped into one door.

‘How many bets…?’ He went to the end of the hall.

Picked the one on his left.

He opened it and found it empty. Except for a plant.

“My plant! Baby!” Kevan was happy to see it.

“Mira’s room,” Poe deduced, before turning to the next one, and opening it.

This one, he didn’t know just on sight, but it was busy. There were shards of glass on the floor, and soil, but also pictures, decorations, trinkets, and Poe walked in, curious. He couldn’t help but let his gaze pause on a picture of Mira, Kylo, and Kevan.

Kylo sans scar.

Kylo smiling. Mira smiling.

Leia might like it. Or she might not. Either way, Poe decided to take it, and then try to search through the room for anything actually useful, besides the condoms in the top drawer. Useful, but not right now.

“Come on, man, this is my stuff, at least have some respect.” Poe did not, as decorations fell off an end-table.

~***~

‘Maybe Mace.’ Mira had no idea how much Mace might want to be a part of any of this, if at all, but it crossed her mind that perhaps he should at least be given the option. The future of the Force – Force-Sensitives, really, was in the air. Like so many other pieces.

Mira could only nod her consent.

It was not something she should avoid, even if she really, didn’t, want to talk to Luke for any length of time. There was residual anger towards him still. Guilt, as well. It was easier to surmount it with Leia, she hadn’t directly harmed Leia, but Luke was another matter.

At least, for the moment, she could try to prepare. Mentally. “It’s going to be an interesting meeting.” At the very least. She could allow a smile to remain with Leia’s laugh, her humor.

“No, it isn’t.” She agreed, as a meow sounded. She was confused by it, certainly not thinking of Millicent until the orange cat strode in as if she owned the place. “Commodore?” Millicent let out another trilling sound and trotted her way closer, before leaping right up onto the cot. Mira reached out to stroke her fur, the cat beginning to purr immediately. “Well, I’m glad you’re okay.”

It crossed her mind that Hux was likely not far behind. A stab of panic made her want to shove the cat off and figure something to do, but what could she do?

Nothing. Millicent was already sitting in her lap and she could hardly upset the cat. She could just pet the cat and enjoy the soothing purring.

But she kept her focus on Millicent more than the doorway, anyways, as if she could hide her look if she didn’t look at Hux. Stupid thought. But present, all the same.

She could hear Phasma speaking to someone to gain entrance from just outside. “I guess cats aren’t forbidden in the medbay,” they probably were.

Paquin hadn’t so much as blinked at Pryde’s words, and hadn’t intended to say anything. She’d live with Supreme Leader Kylo’s unlimited access because she knew he’d let them search anyway. But Kylo clarified, consented to their own unbridled access to Snoke’s things and she wasn’t going to object to that at all, and appreciated it. It would make things easier.

Though, the appreciation dissipated when Kylo spoke of attacking. It sent anxiety through her, but of course she’d say nothing. She did note, however, the slightest bit of amusement on Pryde’s face when Kylo suggested it.

“Of course, Supreme Leader,” Snoke had them sitting idly for much time. The scuffles of CImarosa and Eriadu had been so long ago, and had not ended successfully. Snoke was smart and was to an extent, content with sitting and committing himself to the prophecy he would not see come to fruition. There was quite a part of him that was thrilled the new Supreme Leader was plotting action.

“I agree. We shall direct our resources towards weaponry, ships, armor, as opposed to constructing new facilities.” Eventually, of course, there’d be expansions to planets they held control over. They’d have to implement their regime in some fashion and maintain it. “But, on the subject of resources, with this shift in power comes uncertainty with our allies, no doubt. I’ll prepare our facilities to act, but it might be in our best interest to reinspire confidence in our collaborators.”

Their allies knew Snoke. They did not know Kylo Ren. There was a rather big difference between the two, and shouldn’t Ren grow used to wheeling and dealing?

-

Ariel’s room was a mess. He supposed it fit the woman. He tried to navigate carefully through the bottle of various alcohol until he stood in the center of the room. He looked around from that point. It looked like the room of a teenager. Posters and lights hanging around the room. “Oh...stars,” Finn cringed as his eyes landed on a strange piece of...art. On one hand it looked like it belonged in an anatomy text, but on the other it was…

‘Horny?’ Whoever made it must have harbored some erotic feelings. Some disturbed thoughts. He inspected it, wondering if it was made by the redhead, but the name painted in the corner was ‘Scoresby’. Well, Finn wouldn’t deem that painting as useful. Quite the opposite. He’d leave it there.

But there were some vaguely promising things in the room. He searched a small desk shoved in one corner of the room. A lot of random things littered it that weren’t things one would put on a desk. Jewelry, makeup, wine coolers. The bottom drawer was the worst, full of private things Finn wished he could unsee. But the top drawer. That was partially organized.

There were a couple worn books, bound in soft leather and filled with yellowed, crumpled paper. There was a language written in it, one that Finn didn’t understand. Maybe Mira would, or someone else.

He pocketed the books, figuring he could see what they were about later. He was instead drawn by the sound of something crashing in another room. “Poe?” Finn called as he hurried out, accidentally kicking a few bottles on his way out. He tracked Poe into a different room. “Do the Knights not know how to clean?”

-

Leia did smile as the cat hopped onto the cot, albeit she was a little confused as to where the cat came from. Until Mira called the little ginger thing Commodore and Leia felt she should have figured it. She’d heard somewhere that most pets looked like their owners. Leia never really had the luxury of having a pet of her own, so she couldn’t really confirm that. Until Millicent came along.

Leia reached out, holding her hand still clicking her tongue to draw the cat’s attention. Millicent sniffed at the hand, but ultimately opted to rub her head against Mira instead. Leia didn’t take it personally, drawing her hand back. “No, I’m fairly certain they are. I think an exception could be made for this one though.” The cat was a welcome distraction. And it meant they were one step closer to gathering everyone to form their little plan, as Phasma’s voice was heard not far.

There was the distinct clunk of Phasma’s armor as she and General Hux emerged from the entrance hall. Hux’s eyes scanned the place before they settled on Mira, who was awake. And Phasma was glad she had her helmet on, for she wasn’t sure what face she made as her own eyes landed on the state of Mira. Her eye was covered, but the scars that covered that one side of her face were unmistakable, even as she avoided looking in their direction.

Phasma noticed Hux pause, for just a brief moment, eyes widening. But he recovered quickly, and didn’t react any further as he eagerly pushed forward.

Leia noted Hux seemed much more put together, not only in his reaction, but in his appearance. His hair was once again secured in its usual fashion, and he donned his uniform. His greatcoat rested on his shoulders, not that he needed a coat on the planet.

“Mira,” Hux breathed, “I’m glad to see you’re awake. It seems neither me nor my furry companion are your first visitors,” he noted.

“I was going to have you contacted after I finished speaking with her,” Leia shrugged, rolling away so Hux could replace her by Mira’s side.

Hux paid little mind, his hand reaching out to pet the cat that rested in her lap. “I hope my flower idea is original,” Hux commented as he offered a single, wildflower. Admittedly, it was last minute. He'd picked it from outside. Hux tucked it into Millicent’s newly acquired collar, a pendant with the First Order insignia dangling from the kitty’s neck. “How do you feel?”

Allies.

Kylo internally groaned, but all that showed on his face was a slight twitch. Did he have to do this, personally? Certainly Snoke didn’t do this personally. ‘No, he used Kevan.’ A string of curses moved through Kylo’s mind at the thought of that.

Okay, what was the best way to do that?

“I presume you have a list of allies?” Kylo Ren asked, but didn’t wait for clarification, “I believe it would be in our interests to bring them together at once, to host a meeting to make sure they are on the same page, and know what is expected of them, now that the dynamic has shifted, and our priorities are shifting, as well.”

At least, their immediate priorities. “Can you arrange this?”

The Allegiant General was able to nod, “Of course. Would you like the meeting to be at one of our bases?”

Kylo considered.

Anywhere else, there was the possibility of the Resistance and the Order hearing of it.

But he didn’t their locations known…. “Some sort of facility is being built on Ruusan, isn’t it? That will suffice, then.” Sure, home of smugglers and pirates and stars knew what else, but as they suggested, activity there wasn’t soon to be noticed. “Who are some of the collaborators?” He was rather curious who else he might not know on Snoke’s payroll.

~***~

Poe glanced back as Finn stepped in, and shrugged his shoulders, “Mira’s room is clean – what I assume is her room, anyways. That might just be because nothing’s in it except a plant.” Okay, there were sheets, and some clothes, but other than that? Nothing. He wasn’t sure if that was because she defected and they packed it all up, or because that’s just who she was.

“This seems to be that, uh, Kevan’s room,” he’d heard the name, but was more familiar with the face and his other name, as a rebel spy. He put one hand on his hip. “Not finding anything.”

“No shit.” Kevan didn’t keep anything useful here. “C’mon, there’s still some rooms,” he trekked out, and took the room besides the one that Finn had just been investigating.

“Okay, this is more organized,” or at least, not a mess. Didn’t look like Kylo’s room, but it was mostly put together. Some rumpled sheets, some clothes in a bin, but otherwise, no mess of bottles or leftover food, and clear paths around.

Naturally, he went to the desk first, noticing a datapad left in the top drawer. “They don’t know anything about locks,” he said, taking the datapad, and then noticing a few square and triangular objects.

Holocrons. “Bingo!” Maybe. They didn’t know what was on it, but he at least knew these had potential.

~***~

While Mira did not look on Hux directly in that moment, it was easy to tell that he had paused. Easy to imagine his shock, in spite of the fact he’d seen her before she went under. He must have had some idea it wouldn’t be good. ‘We were all hoping for no eye patch.’ Mira would only look up when he came forward.

At least he looked like himself, in spite of the ordeal. He must have had time to clean up after dealing with his father.

And Mira did wonder how he’d dealt with Brendol.

Mira opted to float her tea to free up a hand for Millicent, and to push a focus somewhere, to further distract from the desire to flee. To focus. To breathe. “I haven’t been awake long. I haven’t even finished my tea,” so that Hux would know he wasn’t slighted in the least. She really hadn’t been up long. Leia would have told him, soon.

Her gaze followed Leia as she rolled away, not out, not yet, before she tilted her head up to get a better look at Hux.

This lack of two eyes thing was a pain. More head movement was involved.

She wanted her coat. His coat.

Her eye followed the flower a moment as it was put into Millicent’s collar. No store-bought thing. Something he likely just picked when he thought maybe he should bring something. “I’ve had caf and tea brought to me so far. No duplicates. I think it’s fairly original.” It wasn’t; flowers was a standard gift when it came to pain, wasn’t it? But they weren’t usually fresh picked, and certainly, for Hux, it was original. “It looks good with Millicent.”

Forever the Commodore, who tried to turn her head towards it. Tried to bite it. That earned a small chuckle.

His question couldn’t get an honest answer. But Mira couldn’t lie to him. She sighed. “I’m well enough.” She was alive. Never mind that she wanted to go back into hiding, especially right then. Or that she wanted to cry. The tea focus was helping with that, keeping the Force active, keeping note of the flow of it. “Except that I already have to think of politics,” but even as she looked a little to Leia, it was to show she really hadn’t minded that topic change.

It was better, for them both, to keep moving, when they wanted to stop.

“We have quite an extensive collection of collaborators,” Pryde could sit there all night and list off every major corporation to every small local supporter on some backwater planet. Of course, that would be ridiculous and there would be no times, so he opted for a shorter list of the substantial supporters. “We have our major ones. Political allies like Carise Sindian, Sonn-Blas–though we’ve been vying for control over. Now would be a good time to solidify that.”

Sonn-Blas had been shared between the Order and Snoke’s forces since the split, but now, even though Brendol was supposedly gaining control over the Order, it would be a perfect time to acquire all of Sonn-Blas’ business.

“Perhaps our largest collaborator, Sienar-Jaemus. They provide supplies, designs, develop our ships. There are some executives who might have their concerns about the power shift, but I’m confident a meeting will ease their minds. Another comprehensive list to provide you with,” no one ever said becoming Supreme Leader was easy. The Allegiant General hoped Kylo Ren had expected as much, but he seems to be taking things in stride.

“It’ll take a moment to inform our collaborators and set up a time to meet, but I will ensure it happens as soon as possible, no more than a few days.” Pryde assured, as he expected one of the officers with them was already drafting messages to send out, en masse. “I–can I help you?” Pryde frowned as a medic froze in place in the entrance way.

“I, uh, just came to inform the Supreme Leader and the Knights that Ariel Ren is out of the bacta tank and awake,” barely, but, still.

-

“A plant? Do you think Mira would want that?” Finn mused, though he knew Poe didn’t have an answer. Finn would consider it as he moved with Poe to the next room. He was honestly hoping it was Kylo’s, curious as to what the inside of that man's world looked like. He pictured a dungeon. Dark. He bet Kylo Ren slept on a mat on the ground. Something that reflected his inner turmoil or some shit like that.

He bet Kylo Ren had to have something interesting in his room, too.

But it was not Kylo’s room they moved into. Or if it was, it wasn’t at all what Finn expected. It looked like a normal person lived in it, and Finn went to search the side table as Poe searched the desk. The side table didn’t hold anything except regular side table items. Maybe he should start looking under beds?

Finn jumped at Poe’s announcement of bingo, and he turned to join him. “What’d ya find?” Finn stared down at the triangles and squares that made up holocrons. Finn reached in to pick one up, looking over it. He was fairly certain there was a way to open them with the Force, but he didn’t know it. But he knew who would. Mace. He put the holocron back in the drawer, along with the books he’d found in Ariel’s room.

“Good find, buddy!” He pulled the drawer all the way out of the desk. He could use it as a basket for whatever else they’d find. There were still a couple doors down the hall, and then the rest of the former temple to explore. If they had that kind of time, anyway. They could at least go through the hall.

Finn ventured out, but alas, the first door he’d opened was a refresher. Should he bother searching that? He was a little scared to.

-

Hux hadn’t expected what he’d seen. Of course, he’d seen Mira’s injuries. But...well, he wasn’t exactly sure what he expected to see when he came back. Did he expect it to be better than it was? Or worse? He had hoped for much better, he supposed. Maybe he’d expected that. At least, no eyepatch. But he tried to cover up the surprise he’d felt, even if there was hardly anything he could hide from Mira. Force, no Force, Hux knew she could read him well.

Hux didn’t think he’d been slighted, didn’t think Leia would be petty about something like this. Other things, sure, but there was some middle ground when it came to Mira. Mira, who listed off the short list of things she’d received so far, the beverage likely from Leia, as she also had her own cup of tea. Hux’s lips did quirk at the mention of it looking good on Millicent. At Mira’s chuckle. It was nice to hear.

“It’s not original at all.” It was a flower. He knew that. At least he was the first to bring it. “A cat, though. Now that’s original.” Millicent is what made Mira laugh, even just a little bit.

Hux’s hand ran over Millicent, the cat’s face whipping around to bite his hand, though it didn’t pierce through his glove. Not that it was the little thing’s intention. Hux watched the cat with amusement before he turned his attention back to the injured woman. He did frown as she said she was ‘well enough’. He supposed it was fitting and he hadn’t expected a more elaborate answer, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t disappointed he didn’t get one. “Welcome to the club. Once you’re in a significant position, you live and breathe politics.” Hux did. And he wasn’t a politician.

“Neither of you’ve seen anything yet,” Leia chuckled as she stood. “Speaking of, I’ll get started on the arrangements for that meeting. Mira can catch you up, General. Then we’ll speak later.” Hux nodded.

The names mentioned so far were names Kylo knew, but he understood the reason. They were also, definitely, First Order allies. They were names Hux knew. Given, the Order was apparently well in their grasp now, even with the Former General having escaped, but it would be better to lock in those corporations. Make sure they knew who their agreements should truly be made through.

The First Order had too much power on its own. It needed to be wrapped into their power, and exist only so much as they were allowed to exist. To operate only as Kylo wanted them to operate.

“Leave General Hux out of the meeting,” Kylo said, deciding that he could meet him separately. He didn’t need Hux to be a part of these negotiations. He needed him to learn that he couldn’t use these allies without first coming to Kylo.

He didn’t need the father acting like the son had.

A few days was fine. Although, he turned his head as Pryde was disrupted, surprised he hadn’t noticed the door opening.

This place was too silent.

His brows lifted at the statement, and Gnaeus rose from his seat.

Kylo nodded, and Gnaeus went on ahead, “Allegiant General, we’ll discuss the matter of the meeting when the details are organized and the date set,” for now, he needed to go see Ariel, as well. If more was needed, he had a feeling that Pryde would reach out.

He was at least trying to do that already, so he wasn’t shy.

~***~

Poe could only shrug at the question of the plant. He had no idea. Mira might want it. It looked like it was recovering? Poe wasn’t sure. It probably wouldn’t last long here on its own. ‘It’s a plant.’

“Take the plant, padawan. Take my plant. Hear me and take the plant.”
If Kevan had arms and fingers he would have tried to wave them spookily in front of Finn’s face, as he moved to the door to the fresher. “It’s name is Gnaeus 4 and it needs water. Take. The. Plant.”

He did not.

He could not.

He did at least agree with the collection of holocrons that they’d gathered. That was a good start.

Poe stepped on to the next room.

He was having better luck than Finn at finding useful rooms. Or, rooms, anyways. “10 credits says this is Kylo’s room,” he said, stepping into the room that was, indeed, dark hued. Black bedding, anyways.

Not much in the way of decoration, though, and he went to the desk as before.

There was, of all things, paper, and a really fancy pen. “What the…?” He couldn’t help but draw it out, and he noticed the alphabet written, again and again. He just shook his head, and set it aside, digging through the other drawers, and noticing a collection of audio chips.

Audio chips for very emo bands. “Finn, Finn, Finn, come look at this.” As if it were something worthy.

~***~

Yes, Millicent was original – but the flower still hadn’t been duplicated, and Mira wasn’t expecting it to be. It wasn’t like Finn was coming back with flowers. He might come back with some lightsabers, though. The Void Stone. Mira was hoping for both, but she’d take just Kevan’s saber, if she had a choice.

Which, she didn’t.

Mira supposed she couldn’t joke about quitting over politics, so she didn’t. It wasn’t terrible. Yet. Leia was probably right – they hadn’t grazed the surface.

“Thank you, General Organa,” Mira reverted to formality, for the moment, as Leia announced that she’d reach out to some people. Mira needed to do that. To reach Finn, so he could reach Mace, because her own datapad was gone. At least she hadn’t forgotten that it had been lost in her earlier fury.

Was Hux aware of that yet?

She didn’t know. She didn’t want to ask.

She probably could have just sat there with the cat for hours. She did better with animals, anyways. And Millicent wasn’t yet trying to bite her, although she wouldn’t have cared much. She probably would have played, but she appreciated it for what it was, for now.

‘Fill him in?’ Probably the more detailed answers. “Leia intends to bring Luke and Governor Tarkin into our discussions,” she offered that, “I think I may request Mace Windu, as well. If he’s willing. She wants to draft something to present to the Senate,” which Hux hated, but nonetheless, “while we may have an opening to act.” While Kylo, in theory, was figuring out what he’d been handed. Or rather, what he’d taken.

That wasn’t the only thing to brief him on, “And my covered eye may have permanent damage. It’s likely.” She tried to sound…well, not indifferent, but not impacted. “There’s no brain damage, so I can likely attend the meeting.” She was doing a terrible job of this, but at least the tea wasn’t shaking. She still had it together.

Paquin was eager to leave at the news of Ariel, but she didn’t yet rise as Gnaeus did. He went ahead, but Paquin stayed to wait for Kylo. It gave her time to stand without aggravating anything. But she didn’t want to wait long. She didn’t think Kylo wanted to, either.

“Of course. I will reach out once a meeting is set and I’ll ensure you have all the information we’ve discussed today and any you might need available to you beforehand.” Pryde stood himself, their little get together adjourned. “I’m glad to hear Ariel Ren is doing well.” He mentioned to an audience that didn’t care what he said. Or at least, Paquin didn’t.

“Nice to meet you,” Paquin offered. Was it? Not really. But she thought to be polite as she hurried as fast as her little legs and her injury would let her. Gnaeus and the medic had gone ahead, but they weren’t too far for Paquin to follow their lead. She wouldn’t ask them to wait up. She felt Gnaeus was all too anxious to see Ariel to do that.

She wasn’t sure how awake Ariel would be, but that question was answered when they returned to the medbay for the third time that day. “I'm thirsty.” Ariel’s voice was distinct. Hoarse and grumpy.

“I can get you some water.” Something went unspoken as the medic offered again, “Juice?”

Ariel didn’t give her disapproving answer to that. Her eyes caught sight of Gnaeus and she lit up, her arms lifting to beckon him into a hug. Only, she winced as that aggravated her neck wound. One arm, then. “Gnaeus!”

Paquin followed not far behind, and she was surprised by Ariel’s appearance. Despite nearly dying, she looked healthy for once. Rested. Her hair was a bit damp from where the bacta had been washed out, her eyes were free of darkness.

-

Finn swore there was some sort of draft in the place. He could have sworn a breeze brushed over his face. Or around it. And it didn’t really feel like a breeze. ‘This place is way too weird.’ Finn would have abandoned the place much sooner if he hadn’t the mission of helping Mira on his mind. How did anyone live here? He supposed there must have been something to gain from the energy of the planet.

The bathroom held nothing useful. It was a bathroom, he hadn’t expected ancient Force secrets to be housed. Of course, he was on the hunt for whatever shampoo Kylo used. He bet he could sell it for a lot of money on the holonet.

But he was pulled from his leisurely search by Poe, who seemed to have found Kylo’s room. And repeatedly called his name, though Finn didn’t detect any emergency in his voice. Just excitement, and he hurried to see what Poe might have found. He expected something useful, of course, and not audio chips. But that didn’t mean he wasn’t greatly amused by Kylo Ren’s taste in music.

“No way....I know what we’re going to listen to on the way back.” Finn scooped some into the drawer he carried with him.

“What else does he have in here?” It was dark. Not as depressing as he thought it would be. Simple. And Finn, too was drawn to the paper and fancy pen on the desk. “Was he learning to spell or something?” Finn mumbled as he picked up the paper. It was just the alphabet, written all fancy over and over, but he wondered if it was something Leia might like. If there was anything in this room that she might like. Or if it would just make her sad.

“Do you think Leia would want any of this stuff?”

-

Hux took up the stool that Leia had previously occupied, scoffing a bit at the mention of presenting a draft of their plan to the Senate. “The same Senate that doesn’t do anything? That’ll reject anything that has a whiff of my name on it or threatens the power they have?” Yes, Hux hated the Senate, hated the Republic. And they hated him. But at the same time, he sighed.

There was a point to proposing something now. With Snoke gone, Kylo Ren taking up his former master’s position. There was a benefit to having August and Leia collaborating. And Mira was getting her foot in the door. Of course, there would be people who didn’t like her, but there would be some that would. Some that would like Luke. ‘And Mace?’ Hux didn’t know what anyone would think of him, if he entered the picture.

General Hux’s lips pressed into a line at the news of her eye.

He was angry. Not at her, of course. At himself, maybe. At his father, for if his father hadn’t been such an idiot, Mira would’ve had access to the First Order’s medics. And he was mad at Kylo Ren, which was nothing new. He hoped the medic died, hoped that dreadful red haired woman died. Really, he wanted Kylo Ren dead. But that time would come, eventually.

Hux shifted. He wanted to extend some sort of comfort to her, but...he didn’t know how. He didn’t want to make her feel worse. “If you feel like you’re up for something like that,” perhaps it would be a good distraction for her.

Like she sensed Mira and Hux’s upset, Millicent meowed, rubbing her face against Mira. “You were missed during the Order’s reclamation. I’m sure you’d have loved the face my father made when I showed up, perhaps it was captured on a holo somewhere,” he mused. Maybe that would amuse her.

Kylo was, quietly, grateful.

He would go over the information sent to him later. He needed to catch up to everything. Snoke’s items would be brought here, as well. ‘There’s so much….’ He wasn’t sure what he was expecting, but somehow, it wasn’t this. He was also, somehow, expecting more chaos in the absence of Snoke, but Pryde seemed to have it all under control.

It was something to stay aware of.

It could be dangerous.

Kylo’s mistrust of Officer sorts remained, but all the same, he gave a stiff nod as Pryde accepted the dismissal easily. He wouldn’t actually thank him, “Good. I’ll go over the information before the meeting.” He wouldn’t promise that evening. Stars only knew what was going to happen between now and then with the way things were going…even if a lot of that was mostly the fault of his own actions.

He wasn’t sure what to think of Pryde’s…gladness for Ariel, either, and it nagged at the back of his head as he turned away to follow after Paquin and Gnaeus.

He walked into the medbay as Gnaeus was stepping forward into an embrace, moving an arm to hold Ariel, too, while mouthing ‘Juice’ to a medic.

“You’re looking better,” Kylo noted. That should have been the result, but even he was aware that she seemed, well…in better health than just healed wounds. Gnaeus broke away after a few moments, keeping a tentative smile on his lips as he did so.

“How are you feeling?” He wouldn’t let assumptions stand. “Besides thirsty.” That was hopefully being handled, soon, with juice. He knew Ariel wanted alcohol but that could wait at least a day. It needed to wait a day.

~***~

“Finn, come on, that’s torture!” Poe said, even as he laughed while the music was dumped into the drawer. Okay, not all of it was trash. Kylo had some taste. Still. He wondered how much Leia would like to know the kind of music her son kept around – if it would reassure her, at all, to know he did listen to music like a normal person.

If the writing would give her any insight into him, after what had happened. “Some people do that, un, handwriting reading, right?” Was that going to be of any use to them here? “I don’t know, Finn. Even I didn’t….” Even Poe didn’t really think Kylo would strike his mother.

Poe shook his head.

He didn’t know. “I found a picture of him, though. In, uh, Kevan’s room.”

“My picture. MY picture. Thief.”

Obviously, Poe heard nothing, and continued on. “With Mira, and Kevan in it, but I think Leia might like it. I’m not really…sure how much of this would interest her.” He wasn’t sure if it would make her more sad, or if it was a sorrow she wanted.

Knight armor was in the partially opened closet.

“There’s nothing here that resembles who I knew.” Though he’d known Kylo in very particular circumstances, and usually it boiled down to ships, when they were left alone with each other. “I guess it’s worth looking through, though. Just in case?” Maybe something would stand out if they emptied the drawers completely.

~***~

Despite Hux’s obvious hatred of the Senate, he seemed resigned to try it. His other choice was to attempt to conquer it, and that would earn him the ire of his ally, Leia, and likely send things into a war on…many fronts.

Mira wasn’t sure how her own support would shift, either.

There might be an argument for letting it all fall to Kylo Ren, and taking it from him. Then they could just put a new system in place after removing a dictator – but as it was, they had to work with the Senate. ‘It also has Leia and August’s name on it.’ Perhaps also Luke. Names of power in the galaxy, names that together, had a chance of uniting people.

She didn’t mention that right then. Hux was willing to try it – that was enough for now without mentioning people with more clout than him.

Besides, she hesitated to say anything at all when she saw his lips press together. She wanted to find something reassuring to say, but she had nothing. She didn’t know what things were going to be like, after all. She didn’t know how reassuring she could be, even to herself. “It’s that or go hunt down Terex, and I don’t think anyone wants me doing that just yet.” Mira noted, lowering her head a little. Millicent bunted her own head against Mira’s, and she smiled, lifted her head back and scratched Millicent by an ear.

She floated the tea back to herself.

That Terex was absent from Hux’s mention didn’t elude her. “I think I would like to see that, though. When there’s time,” if it was even captured. That did lead to the question, “What’s been done with him?” Mira was assuming he was dead, “How difficult was it to get the Order back?” Sipped the tea after that. What was left of it, anyways. She noticed Phasma seemed to have stepped out.

Mira felt some guilt for not being able to help with reclaiming the Order.

She would have, of course, if Kylo Ren hadn’t fucked everything up.

Ariel’s gratitude went unspoken, instead being conveyed in the form of her hugging Gnaeus as tight as she could. Her eyes had squeezed shut at some point, a pleasant smile on her face as she pleasantly missed him mouthing ‘juice’ to the medic. She opened them at the sound of Kylo’s voice, her smile faltering just a bit. She wasn’t sure what emotion she was feeling. Many all at once, more like.

Anger was one of them, a big one. Disappointment and...just confusion itself. But she was also happy to see he was okay, despite the wound he’d received himself.

Gnaeus released her after a few moments and she let him, despite wanting to still cling to someone. She wouldn’t say it outloud, but she’d been scared. She was sure she was going to die. She had no doubt in her mind that Gnaeus had kept her alive, even if he’d only bought her a few moments. “I feel better than I did earlier. I’m tired,” despite just waking up. “In pain.” It wasn’t too bad. They must have given her something, or maybe the bacta just helped.

The medic brought her juice then, and she pouted. It wasn’t alcohol, but she’d take it. For the moment. “I think my hair is going to be softer than Kylo’s,” she noted right before she took a sip from the straw. It did enough to quench her thirst, but not the craving, the need.

She sighed. “So, what did I miss?” And she didn’t just mean when she was relaxing in the bacta tank. She meant after she’d been shot. Though, she was scared of the answer. Scared of who might have been killed.

-

‘Why did you have to try to kill your mother, Kylo?’ Finn, at his core, hadn’t been surprised. He’d witness Kylo Ren murder his own father when Han reached out to help him. It was clear that Kylo didn’t want help. And now Leia was sad and Mira was hurt. Finn wasn’t sure Leia would want anything to do with Kylo. He only wanted to bring something back to her if it made her happy, not sad.

But everything would probably make her sad anyway.

“A picture is nice,” Finn commented. “And if we cover Kylo, Mira might like it too.” He wondered if Kevan had any pictures of just him and Mira that he could bring back. But he wouldn’t get carried away with backtracking. Mira would probably be glad with just the lightsabers.

“Yeah, maybe. Maybe he’s got something Force-related, if nothing else.” But it didn’t seem like there’d be anything significant. Nothing as easily found as the books or the holocrons from the other rooms. Maybe there was something in his closet. “Let’s look around the room a bit more. Maybe see if they’ve got some ship stuff. Maybe steal a snack,” if the food was still good. Maybe Ariel had some full bottle of alcohol somewhere. ”Then we can hit the skies.”

Finn wasn’t sure where to look first. He didn’t exactly want to rifle through Kylo Ren’s underwear drawer or whatever. “Twenty credits if you can find Kylo’s diary.” A joke, of course, but man would it be nice to know what the fuck was going on in that man’s head.

Finn looked through the closet. Maybe there’d be something meaningful in there. A shirt or a memory he tried to shove out of his head but couldn’t get rid of.

-

Terex was another issue to deal with but as it was, Hux had no idea where the man was. He was on the run, most likely, because he knew someone would come after him. Not even the First Order, he likely thought it was in the hands of Brendol. But running from Mira. From Phasma. Two very fearsome women, Hux was sure Terex knew that. He was stupid if he didn’t.

For the moment, though, he had the Order working on locating him. Reaching their tendrils out to see if they could catch word of him. Hux made it clear that he didn’t care if Terex was brought to him dead or alive, though it would be so sweet to kill Terex himself.

Unlike how he handled his father.

Mira asked about that. What ended up happening with him, and Hux anticipated that she’d be disappointed by his answer. “He was apprehended and put in a cell. Not sure how I’ll deal with him yet,” that wasn’t entirely true. He knew he wanted his father to suffer in his cell, but he was not plotting his father’s death beyond that. He could have killed him, right when he had the Order back in his grasp. But he hadn’t.

‘Weak’ He heard it in his father’s voice, mocking him. Maybe he was. But unfortunately, Brendol was the only family he had, blood related. There was something about that fact that wouldn’t let him sever that tie.

“It wasn’t difficult. My father knew I was free, I assume he was contacted by someone. But Mitaka helped us sneak in on an incoming transport,” Phasma had suggested that was the plan before he’d gotten back. “After that, Brendol couldn’t put up much of a fight.” His father had claimed him as good as dead, but there he was. “Brendol’s a fool. His supporters are old Imperials that fear progress. That wasn’t what he was surrounded by.”

The Finalizer was Hux’s ship. Full of Hux’s officers, his stormtroopers. Brendol had a small chance.

Ariel’s complaints weren’t unanticipated. Kylo hadn’t expected her pain would be gone, and with all that happened – exhaustion, too, was expected. He did roll his eyes about her hair. “No, it won’t be,” though that did remind him that it was another thing he needed to grab, along with clothes.

He’d be damned if he had to use anything but his preference in his hair.

Gnaeus glanced at Kylo’s hair, then looked to Paquin, “You have to confirm for us,” because he’d be dead before he’d be allowed to touch Kylo’s hair. Kylo just gave Gnaeus a weird look, and shook his head a bit.

He focused on what Ariel asked, and not what was being plotted. Obviously, his hair didn’t count right now. Right?

“We met Pryde,” Kylo skipped right over the battle. The results. “He seems to know…significantly more about Snoke’s operations than I suspected,” than Kylo himself knew. Not relevant, “however he seems…useful.”

Helpful. But ‘helpful’ wasn’t something he was yet willing to call Pryde.

“The one who wished for the Force to be with us is named Colonel Alsen,” Gnaeus confirmed, also opting not to go back to Korriban and the battle. “We have a meeting in a few days with some corporations and allies to make sure they stay aligned with us.”

~***~

Force-related was more likely than anything sentimental. Given what Poe knew of Kylo’s actions, he couldn’t imagine him intentionally holding onto anything, unless he just forgot it. Still, it was worth a shot.

He might have forgotten something, after all.

Poe laughed at the mention of a diary, in spite of it. “Dear diary,” Poe lowered his voice in a poor imitation of Kylo, “none of my black matches. Not even my clothes understand me.” It was a very good thing Leia wasn’t there, she would not approve of this.

Still, he went to the other drawers as Finn went to the closet, and he haphazardly tossed things out. They were going to know others had been there, Poe saw no reason to keep things looking neat and orderly.

He did, unfortunately, find the underwear drawer. He didn’t confirm that Kylo was a briefs man, though. Just shut that quickly and went on to the next drawer, quickly. There were things he didn’t need to torture Finn with.

There wouldn’t be a left-behind shirt, or sentimental bit of attire.

No diary, either.

What there was, was tied to Chewbacca, more than anything, or anyone else, though Poe would gloss over it. It was a single Life Day orb, a crystalline blue, that rolled in a drawer when Poe opened it, neglecting it because of how common it was in his life, and not realizing how odd it was for Kylo to have hung onto such a thing.

Not knowing it came from his last celebration.

~***~

‘Why isn’t he dead?'

Mira knew enough not to ask that.

Knew enough from just escaping Kylo, who nearly killed his mother, to know that asking why someone didn’t kill a parent was in poor tastes. No matter how deserving said parent was of death. Still, she couldn’t help but wonder if Hux would be all that upset with her if Brendol just…choked on air in his cell.

She wouldn’t ask that, either. “Hopefully he doesn’t have any allies who will help him at this point,” Mira wouldn’t trust Brendol in a cell.

“I think Mitaka deserves a vacation, though,” a raise, a promotion, something. “He’s been through a bit, and he saved Millicent, from what I heard,” which was reason enough, really. It was probably better to speak of that, over continuing any further thought about Brendol.

Hux hadn’t determined what to do, and immediately suggesting killing him would probably not go over well.

Might be better to talk about that with Phasma. Stage something, perhaps.

Paquin found the hair debate amusing, amused that Kylo wouldn’t let Ariel have the softest hair title for just a moment. And then she was pulled into it, her face tinting a bit. “His hair is very soft…,” she wouldn’t touch it right then. For one, last time she did it had sand in it, though she had touched it when it was at its peak as well. And she felt it served better as a private act of affection.

With that thought, she did reach forward to touch Ariel’s hair as Kylo and Gnaeus recounted the events she missed. Well, some of them, anyway, and Ariel didn’t fail to note that. She frowned, but didn’t push. Maybe she could get it from Paquin or Gnaeus later, away from Kylo. “A little disappointed I didn’t get to meet Pryde after all that buildup. Oh well.” One misses so much when they almost die. “Keep Colonel Alsen away from me, he scares me.” Ariel decided, having been entirely unnerved by the officer when he’d bid them goodbye.

“Kylo’s first big meeting as Supreme Leader,” it was still strange, that Kylo had control over everything Snoke did now. And already she didn’t quite agree with some decisions she made, but he was still their leader. “We’ll have to take pictures. You think you’re ready to handle those people?”

“He did pretty well with Pryde,” Paquin thought to mention.

‘Didn’t do well with his mother.’ Ariel didn’t say that. “Pryde’s job is to suck up to Kylo. Well, what’s the consensus?”

“Hm? Oh. Well. It’s a tough call, but your hair is very lovely.” Paquin allowed, more to make Ariel smile than anything else. And Ariel did smile, a smug one in Kylo’s direction. Something about ‘stealing’ and ‘girl’ was mouthed, but Paquin didn’t catch all of it.

-

Finn couldn’t help but throw his head back and laugh at Poe’s imitation of Kylo Ren, as bad as it was. It was good Leia wasn’t there, she wouldn’t have appreciated it. Especially with recent events. He could imagine her slapping them upside the head. And they’d deserve it. But it was funny!

If only Kylo Ren wasn’t a murderous monster.

Finn found nothing in the closet. No shirt, no memento tucked away, nothing regarding the Force, and certainly no diary. Just clothes, armor. All in black There was so much black. Would it kill him to try other colors? It would be rather nice if it did, actually. But Finn sighed, shaking his head. “Nothing in here,” and he took Poe’s silence as a lack of him finding anything, either.

He turned back to see the mess that had settled on the floor. He supposed there was no reason to keep anything clean. “Thorough. Come on, let’s get out of here. I think we’ve done pretty good for just coming here for some lightsabers.” Finn really hoped there was something in the books or the holocrons that could help. Or at the very least, give him a lead to go off of.

Luckily, if what they’d gathered yielded nothing, Finn wasn’t at a loss. He could still ask Mace or his mom. He could ask Rey to ask Luke, but given Luke hadn’t helped Mira in the first place…

Finn wandered out of Kylo’s room, “Is it just me or does it feel like we’ve been followed this whole time?” He didn’t mean it to alarm Poe, because Finn was fairly certain no one was following them. He’d have felt it, right? This planet was just strange.

-

“If he does, he’ll be hard to get to.” At the very least, Hux had set up some strict parameters regarding his father’s imprisonment. And on top of that, he had a team working on identifying the people Brendol spent much of his time around, who he may or may not have collaborated with. Who would pose as a risk to Hux again. And somehow, Hux knew he’d be able to order the execution of anyone who’d helped Brendol easier than the man himself.

Hux sighed.

“Yes, Mitaka has done well. Particularly in regards to Millicent,” Hux scratched the cat then. Mitaka had done a lot to help, and he particularly appreciated his smuggling of Millicent. “And of course sneaking me back into the Order. I told him to take some time off, get off the Finalizer.” But Hux didn’t feel that was a strong enough reward for all Mitaka has done. Not just in the time he’d been gone, but over the years as well.

Hux would have to consider how else he might show Mitaka his appreciation. A promotion could certainly be in the works. Mitaka showed he was open to additional responsibilities, as well. More changes for Hux to make.

He realized he hadn’t been as diligent with the Order, at least his officers, as he usually was. “I should probably do something to boost morale, but I’ve never been good at plotting those types of things.” Hux waved his hand at the thought. Maybe that’s why his father hated him, he hadn’t planned enough morale boosting activities.

“When are they letting you out of here?” He asked, looking around and noticing Phasma had slipped out at some point. How did he miss that?

“Scares you?” Gnaeus looked perplexed by that, “Colonel Alsen isn’t that bad,” sure, he said the Force thing, and that was weird, but it might actually be nice to have people who understood – or at least, respected, the Force. Though now that he thought of it, he wondered if Pryde would also scare Ariel, given how much he knew about the Force.

He supposed he’d warn her about that, in a moment.

First, the assessment, which caused him to chuckle. He read what Ariel said, as easily as Kylo did, who didn’t look impressed in the least with it. Even if Gnaeus thought there might still be some humor in his eyes. “Consensus on Pryde,” Kylo opted to say instead, “is that he seems useful. He knows much of what Snoke was doing.”

“He also knows much about the Sith and the Force,” Gnaeus’s way of adding that bit of warning, and information, “this facility was used for some of Snoke’s Force projects, from what I gathered?” He glanced to Kylo and Paquin, to confirm he’d heard right.

Kylo nodded.

“I think most of the Officers will be like Alsen,” so she might be creeped out by all of them.

~***~

Poe hummed his answer as he shook his head. Nothing he’d noticed, nothing he thought could help. Kylo clearly didn’t keep anything useful here, which was smart, but disappointing. “Yeah, best do that before anyone shows up. Do you think there’s anywhere else to look, though?”

Poe would follow Finn’s lead, glancing down a few paths as they walked.

He didn’t hear their observer. “Padawan. Padawan the plant! Damn you, take my plant!”

And then, wonder of wonders, Finn asked if they were being followed. “YES!” What could he do? What could Kevan possibly do to actually be heard? Acknowledged.

Even as Poe answered, he was trying to think. “Not really. I mean, something’s strange, but I’m not sure it’s a being followed sort of feeling.” Though he just assumed it was the world. He wouldn’t know how Korriban felt without a Force Entity trying to reach out to them.

Crystal.

Kyber.

He could ignite the lightsaber again, but instead, he tried to push his energy into the crystal that Finn had, hoping to make it glow brightly enough that he’d notice it. Orange. Brilliant orange – just like Mira’s had shone, for so long, until Kylo destroyed them.

“Please Finn. We can help each other. Probably.”

“Hey, uh, there’s something in your pocket…?” Poe noticed, at least.

~***~

‘But not impossible.’ Yes, Mira was definitely going to talk to Phasma about this. Get her to weigh in on the matter. See if she might support accidents. Still, she knew better than to dwell on it, even if some residual anger threatened to disturb the peace she had claimed.

She sipped the tea.

She gave Millicent a wry smile when the cat bunted her head against her hand that held the tea and nearly threatened to spill it. She offered the cat an empty hand, which she accepted. “I think normal people throw parties,” Mira was not normal and she could not vouch for anything normal people did, “like Tarkin.” He threw one on Coruscant. He threw one on Eriadu, where Phasma sang karaoke.

She couldn’t help the slight twitch of her lips at the thought of that.

“People also like credits,” and as far as Mira knew, the Stormtroopers weren’t being paid. “But you have good reason to host any sort of event. Phasma and Mitaka were promoted, you took over the Order entirely, I took official rank in the Order, you’ve forged alliances, won battles…there’s a lot to celebrate.” Looking at the larger picture, and not the more immediate one.

“Like my eventual getting out of here…I didn’t ask. I assume I could walk out now if I wanted,” she didn’t feel tired or sore. She didn’t feel weak. “I probably should at least ask, but it sounded like I just had to leave my eye alone for a couple of days, and then have that looked at again. I don’t think I have to stay in the bed that long.” And so she opted to move, much to Millicent’s displeasure.

“I guess there’s nothing wrong about being familiar with the Force, but...there’s just something off about it,” it was creepy. Ariel knew she was probably overreacting, just not used to regular officers knowing about the Force or using phrases like Alsen had. But that didn’t stop her from being entirely unsettled by it. And to hear other officers were like Alsen? That Pryde was probably worse?

She wanted to go back to sleep. Did they have to stay on this base?

“Isn’t it weird to you guys?” But the question was only left to hang for a moment before she shook her head. “What kind of Force projects?” Ariel opted to inquire instead.

“Didn’t really say. They found the Three Sisters mentioned in the holocron Kylo and I found. Ruusan, was it?” Paquin asked for clarification, but continued on anyway, “That base is where the meeting is going to be held. But they’re transferring some of Snoke’s Force related things here, too.” Which Paquin was anxious to dive into. She wondered, given the old text that had been in the Sith tomb her and Kylo had wandered into so long ago, if the artifacts would involve that language too.

Ariel could read it, right? That might be useful.

“I wonder if any of the shit Snoke made me dig up is in there. I always wondered what he did with it after,” clearly there’d been something Snoke was after that they were never privy to.

-

“This place isn’t small, I’m sure there’s plenty of places to look,” Finn commented. But the longer they hung around, the more risk there was that someone could show up. And hadn’t they left the ship unlocked? He hoped it was still out there.

Finn was ready to head in the complete opposite direction of Kevan’s plant. To give the place a once over and head back outside. He was anxious to go back to Mira, after all, and see how she was doing. He did frown a bit when Poe said he didn’t really feel like they were being followed. Finn knew there wasn’t but now he definitely felt a little crazy that he was the only one who felt it.

“This place is just off, I-huh?” Finn stopped as Poe mentioned something in his pocket. Finn looked down, a gentle glow coming from the pocket of his jacket. Finn’s brow furrowed and he reached in, fishing out the crystal he’d stolen. Well, did he really steal it if it was left? Either way. He wasn’t doing the glowing. At least, he didn’t think he was? “Um. I don’t think I’m doing this.”

Was it the planet?

Yet, something seemed so familiar about the way it glowed.

‘Mira!’ The crystals in Mira’s hair glowed like this. Before they were... but was Mira there? “Mira’s crystals, the ones she wore in her hair, they looked like this…” Was it reflecting his mood or something? This and the way Kevan’s lightsaber ignited outside...something was going on.

-

“Last party I went to, my own father kidnapped me and traded me off to Snoke.” Parties weren’t really Hux’s thing, were they? Well, Hux had enjoyed the one on Eriadu. And he’d been drinking at the last one. Perhaps the whole kidnapping thing was partially his fault. And the last one had been going so well until his father showed up...he didn’t have to worry about that.

Hux’s face did scrunch at her mention of credits. Yeah, everyone liked credits, but would everyone be getting a raise? Absolutely not. He had the rest of the First Order to fund. Mitaka maybe...and was this Mira’s way of asking to get paid? He wasn’t paying her, was he? He supposed he could arrange it, move around some things to give her a salary. She earned one, hadn’t she? Sure, she could use the Force, but having credits to spend was also convenient.

Paying Stormtroopers hadn’t crossed Hux’s mind at all.

But Mira had a point. There was a lot to celebrate, he supposed. And Hux had a celebration when he was named General, it was only fair Mitaka, Mira, and Phasma got their moment. He hoped they didn’t mind sharing. “I’ll think about it.” He’d talk to someone, see what arrangements could be made. “For now, let’s get you out of here,” Hux allowed as she moved to stand, Millicent complaining as she did so. Hux hovered, close to grab her in case she lost her balance.

Hux looked around, not seeing any medics. Did anybody work here? He wasn’t sure what he expected from the Resistance, he supposed. “We’ll ask on the way out.” If Mira felt well enough, there was no reason she had to lay around in the sad little medbay.

Millicent hopped off of the cot, eagerly trotting ahead of them to the door she came in through. “Do you know if it’s possible to teach cats to sit?” He’d never had a pet before.

Neither Kylo or Gnaeus could argue. There was something off about it. Perhaps there shouldn’t be – but there was. It wasn’t their experience with Officer types, and as far as Kylo knew, it hadn’t been the norm in the Empire, either. They were, more or less, meant to be oblivious so they were easier to be intimidated by it all.

Kylo nodded about Ruusan.

“Yeah, I’ve always been curious about that, too,” Gnaeus noted, folding his arms over his chest. Well, folding one, and resting the fake arm over it. “I guess we’ll know soon, assuming Pryde actually follows through.” This would end up being something of a test, of how accommodating they truly were.

Which, Gnaeus realized, they should probably figure accommodations out. And much else.

“It is strange,” Kylo said, going back to Ariel’s statement. “I’m not sure yet if that is good, or bad. We had little luck with those in the Order. Perhaps those with some…understanding…will prove far more useful to us.” Or they could prove more detrimental.

That remained to be seen.

“Right now, it’s what we have to work with.”

“Speaking of, do you think they’re going to be nice enough to give us rooms?” Gnaeus asked, “At least Snoke’s room is empty. Assuming he had a room.” Gnaeus never really saw him off his throne.

An alarm went off in Kylo’s head.

“We should secure that.” His room. His things.

It might be too late for that, though.

“Why, do you want one of his stupid robes?” Snoke was dead, he could call them stupid now.

~***~

Kevan felt some relief as attention was called to the crystal, and Finn at least discerned a connection to Mira. “Okay. I can work with this. Maybe. Why didn’t I learn morse code? Nee would know how to flash the light and make it talk.”

Nee wasn’t there.

Kevan wasn’t sure where Nee was.

Poe canted his head, “But isn’t her lightsaber purple?” Shouldn’t any crystal that was associated with her be purple, too? Poe didn’t know how lightsabers worked. Or kyber, for that matter. Still, he thought the color would be the same.

“Flash twice for yes.”

It was Kevan’s own rule to try and communicate, so he flared the crystal in two pulses of light. Yes. Yes if it was Mira, it would be purple, but it wasn’t purple, it wasn’t Mira, it was him, damn it.

Poe blinked, a bit startled by the flare-up. “Maybe you should put that back….” Given what happened with Mira, maybe this was dangerous.

Kevan cursed in twi’leki.

~***~

Parties probably weren’t the best idea, with that in mind.

Mira didn’t really need a party or anything to celebrate her own position with the Order. She certainly wasn’t that concerned about funding, even if she probably owed August credits. She’d deal with that later, on her own. She did learn she was good at casinos, if she could stay sober, and not make it obvious. Probably stick with manipulating slot machines.

Was it morally wrong to cheat casinos?

Mira had no need of Hux, this time, even if a brief thought crossed her mind of feigning it, as she had at that accursed party. ‘No.’ Perhaps they’d mentioned talking about it. Perhaps she was going to conveniently forget anything ever happened and never bring it up again.

That seemed the best route.

For now.

She nodded once she was on her feet and fairly certain of her balance, and then looked to Millicent.

She lifted her empty hand, “Sit,” waved it in the gesture that was entirely unnecessary.

Millicent did not sit, despite the Force. Millicent just seemed to flick her tail up and march right out. “No, I don’t think you can train a cat.” Mira reported in a deadpan, seeing as the Force did not work to convince Millicent to sit. “To be fair, I only know about training animals with the Force.” He might want to ask someone like August. Still, if the Force didn’t work? Probably not possible.

“I don’t know, Kylo, I don’t think gold is really your color. Maybe try branching out with red, that seems popular here. Or blue,” Ariel mumbled before she sipped the last sip of her juice, the straw making noises as she tried to sip every last bit. Once it was all gone, she discarded it. And then she discarded the IV in her arm too, pulling it out with a wince. "Ouch." It felt strange.

“Ariel!” Paquin scolded. Ariel just rolled her eyes as she pulled off the cord that hooked her to the monitor, the thing letting out a drawn out beep as if she’d flatlined. It stirred the medics, who backed off when the Knights' own medic waved them off. Paquin huffed as she moved over to the machine, pressing something to shut it off. “You just woke up, you shouldn’t be leaving yet.”

“Oh, please. I’m alert. I feel okay–”

“Because of the drugs.”

“–and I have you.” That silenced Paquin. “Come on, I want to see Snoke’s room. Do you think he had a bed? And like...silk sheets?” Ariel reached out, snaking her hand to loop through Gnaeus’s crossed arms, so she could lean on him when they moved. Her voice lowered, “Condoms, maybe?”

“I hope not. Did he even sleep?” He seemed too sinister for such activities. And Paquin couldn’t think of anyone insane enough to sleep with Snoke.

“If nothing else, I want my own room. I don’t like being watched while I sleep. So many people think it’s romantic, it’s not.”

-

Finn didn’t know morse code. It wouldn’t have helped if Kevan did.

Poe asked about Mira’s lightsaber, asking if it was purple. “Yes…” Finn trailed off as the crystal flashed twice as he said yes. Almost like it was answering for him...was it just a coincidence? Was a coincidence on that scale even remotely possible? On this planet? Finn didn’t think so. “Mira’s lightsaber is purple, but the crystals in her hair have been this color before. Something had to have made them turn that color, right?”

Was it the dark side? Wouldn’t that turn red or something?

Poe suggested putting it back, and Finn knew why. After what happened with Mira. But, “No, no. This is different from what happened with Mira.” The crystals had glowed steady and the light expanded until they exploded, this was not that. This was something else. Finn didn’t know what it was. “You can head back to the ship, if you want.” Finn allowed, because something was causing this.

Finn tried to focus, tried to focus his own energy into the crystal, just to make sure he wasn’t doing it. But it didn’t do anything. Maybe Finn just wasn’t doing anything, but he didn’t focus on that. ‘Why did Mira’s crystals change color?’ There was a reason for it.

Was it the Force? “Okay, all-knowing Force. Are you trying to communicate with us?”

-

Hux backed off once Mira nodded, signalling to him that she was balanced. He still stayed close enough to grab her, just in case. His eyes followed her hand as she waved it at Millicent, who simply flicked her tail and went her own way. Maybe he should get her a leash. Did people put leashes on cats? He just didn’t want to lose her, but Millicent was at least good with staying close. Maybe she feared being abandoned again, like her previous owner had.

“She’s a wild thing. I wouldn’t want to tame her anyway,” it seemed against her cat nature. She was sweet, but she liked her freedom.

He thought of her as if she were her own person.

Hux followed after the cat, keeping a leisurely pace in case Mira wasn’t ready for a normal speed. She did only have one eye to see out of, after all. That affected perception, didn’t it? Eventually, they caught up with the cat who had stopped to rub against the legs of someone, moving through their legs. The person had bent over to pet the kitty and Hux followed the line of their legs, up to see the medic who had dealt with Mira when they’d got there.

“Whose kitty are you, huh?” The medic cooed.

“Mine.”

“Oh, uh…” The medic trailed as they looked up to see General Hux, looking from him to Mira. “Vallens, have you been cleared to leave yet?”

“We were hoping you would do that.”

“Oh, well. I’d rather keep her for a while, until the anesthesia wears off–”

“It’s worn off.”

“Well, she’s awake, but it’s still in her system, I…” Hux just kept staring. “She’’ll be fine. You’ll be fine, Admiral Vallens. I’ll go ahead and clear you, just...don’t mess with your eye. Come see us if you have any problems, otherwise just come in a few days so we can look at the healing process.”

“Don’t worry, I don’t plan to wear gold,” Kylo noted. The thought of even touching one of those robes, now, was fairly disgusting. Of course, he’d have to. At least with the Force. He’d want to get rid of them. And probably much else in Snoke’s room so it could be turned into something useful.

Maybe his new room.

He wasn’t too displeased when Ariel just took the IV out, likely because it was an act he understood. And would have done himself. Gnaeus just sighed, but let Ariel come forward. He adjusted himself so he could better keep hold of her arm and let her lean on him, while the walked. On his good side, naturally.

“I’m not convinced he slept,” Kylo said. Really, he didn’t think Snoke needed to. If he had a bed, it was likely for show. Or boredom. Maybe meditation. He also didn’t imagine anyone sleeping with Snoke.

He would take the lead on exiting the medbay, not thinking to tell anyone they were taking Ariel with them, even if that might have been polite. Or good, to find out about her situation. As Ariel said, they had Paquin.

He just needed to find an Officer who could tell them where Snoke’s chambers were.

And try to ignore the peanut gallery: “So, Paquin, is being watched while you’re sleeping romantic? Kylo probably needs to know.” Kylo didn’t know what romantic was or wasn’t to save his life, or so Gnaeus assumed.

Also they could actually talk about it, without worrying, and he knew it had to be embarrassing Kylo. Just a bit.

~***~

Poe shook his head. No, he wasn’t going to leave Finn with the weird crystal. He was going to stay around and see what happened. He was curious at this point. Though, he almost hit his own forehead when Finn asked if the Force was trying to speak to them.

“Finn, I don’t think—”

Two flashes.

“Yes, I, the Almighty Force, am trying to speak to you.” Kevan was also cackling.

“Blink once for no.” Poe said.

The crystal flashed once.

“Okay…maybe there is something going on….” Two flashes. Yes. Something was going on. Poe frowned and shifted his stance, looking to Finn to make sense of this or how they could possibly use it.

Kevan just wished he could be more specific than ‘yes’ and ‘no’, but if this is what it took to communicate, then this is what it took to communicate. At least he was finally getting somewhere.

~***~

Mira just chuckled at Hux’s assessment of Millicent. He wouldn’t be taming her anytime soon, anyways. She may be sweet, but she’d been surviving in a desert. She was probably fine.

Mira did appreciate the pace.

For one thing, she hadn’t expected how drastically her vision would shift. She saw everything as it was, but there was a new lack of depth, an uncertainty. She’d walked around with one eye closed before, for various reasons, but always temporary. This might not be temporary.

If so she’d have to learn to adjust a bit so her shoulder didn’t hit doorways on her way through. She ignored the bump, kept walking as if it hadn’t happened, to find the medic with the cat, and Hux’s ability to talk down a medic by barely talking. She offered a nod to the medic, “Yes, I’ll return.” She should probably not do anything too terribly rash for a couple of days, then.

Hopefully things would be calm enough for that long.

Millicent moved away from twining around the legs of the medic, job apparently done, and looked up to Hux – before trotting off on her own once more, as if she knew where they were going.

“We should check with Leia,” Mira decided. See about this meeting, for starters. Then she probably needed to get cleaned up, and figure out…something for her hair. Her clothes. At least they didn’t have to take her out of uniform, but it was still stained.

Snoke was scary and now that he was dead, there was probably much about him that they wouldn’t understand. Whether he needed to sleep or not, how old he was. Hell, what species he was. There was never any record of him in Paquin’s files back with the First Order. Not that he ever needed medical attention. She supposed there was still a chance they might find some things in his stuff or the artifacts, but it mattered little now.

He was dead.

And Paquin wondered how the Knights weren’t dead, too, by the way they all had such a disregard for medical procedures. Pulling out IVs, not even alerting the medical staff they were taking Ariel. They were lucky she wasn’t a medic anymore and that this wasn’t her medbay.

Paquin turned pink when asked about watching someone sleep, if it was romantic. ‘Kylo probably needs to know.’ Paquin really hadn’t thought about romance, just that she had feelings for Kylo. She supposed that could be an aspect of their relationship, now that there was no fear of Snoke. She didn’t really know much about it, though she probably had a better idea than Kylo. “I don’t know...I’ve never had someone watch me sleep? I don’t think, anyway. I suppose it could be?”

“It’s not, does no one listen to me? Kylo, don’t watch her sleep. Unless you have already.”

“Oh look, let’s ask that officer,” Paquin pointed out another officer with a red-trimmed uniform. She’d only seen officers so far, were there no clone troopers on this base?

-

“Ah! Aha, yes! See, I knew it. I knew there was something off!” Finn got a bit too excited as the crystal–or the Force, or...whatever–responded to his summoning. He could only look at the crystal in wonder for a few moments before he shook his head, looking to Poe who looked at him. Finn didn’t know what to do from that point, now that he’d proved there was something trying to reach them.

How could he find out what the Force wanted when the only thing that could be asked was ‘yes’ or ‘no’?

“Are you...trying to warn us of something?” Finn was uncertain as he asked it, eyes on Poe to see if he thought it was a good question to ask. There was no way to really tell what the purpose was, they had to narrow it down somehow...though, there could be an endless list of things to cross off.

Finn tried to think. What were they doing when it lit up? Leaving Kylo’s room...but there was nothing in Kylo’s room. They were leaving the place in general.

“Did we forget something?” As if whatever was on the other side of the crystal was running a lost and found. If only they had a way to spell something out…

What if they used Kylo’s fancy alphabet papers? Moved the crystal over some letters...Or maybe not. That seemed vaguely creepy. This whole thing was pretty creepy.

-

“Yes, we should,” Hux agreed. He needed further details on this meeting of theirs so he could prepare appropriately. Should he make notes? Create a presentation? Hux had everything he wanted to accomplish in his head, but he was never above pointing out the stupidity and flaws of the Senate in new and exciting ways. Alas, perhaps that would be a bit much. “Where is Leia, anyway?” Hux didn’t know this base. Didn’t know where Leia had went.

And where was Phasma?

“Oh, uh,” the medic looked back. “Just follow the cat.”

Hux looked perplexed by that. How would Millicent lead them to Leia?

“The cat is heading in the right direction. Leia is right through there, take a right, you’re in the command center.” The medic clarified when Hux didn’t get it. If he had just gone straight, he would have seen the command center without any additional directions. But what could anyone expect from the First Order.

“Right. Thank you,” Hux grumbled. He would follow the cat, keeping the same pace as he had early for Mira. He hadn’t failed to notice the way she’d bumped her shoulder and he was tempted to hold onto her, but he refrained. He’d let her try to adjust to her new vision, as it seemed she’d be dealing with it for a few days, at least. Forever at most.

The command center was quite obvious once they stumbled across it. It wasn’t terribly busy, but there was still some bustle. He could see Leia sat off to the side, datapad in hand and a holo in front of her. He had a feeling he knew what she was doing. Keeping busy to keep from thinking. Millicent strode forward, trotting with a flick of her tail to General Organa and in one leap, hopping onto the table and disturbing the holo.

“Ariel, shh. Your preferences don’t matter here,” Gnaeus was trying not to laugh. Honestly, he’d thought it could be romantic, back when he had a girlfriend. He recalled waking up before her, and watching her a bit. Brushing back hair from her face, kissing her head, wishing her well, before he would get out of the bed.

He liked to think that sometimes she did the same.

He didn’t know, of course. He was asleep. He’d never caught her.

Kylo just sighed, confirmation he’d heard them, but he went to the officer that Paquin pointed out rather than answer them. The officer looked up, startled, by the approach of four knights. However, they were greeted with a smile from her, rather than fear.

“Where is the late Supreme Leader Snoke’s chambers?”

“Oh, just behind his throne, actually,” she answered, “Do you need help finding the throne room again, Supreme Leader?”

Kylo wasn’t sure if he should be offended that she asked. Nonetheless, he shook his head. “No, I can find that.” He felt an urge to thank her for the ease, but shook it off. This was all still weird, and so he left without further comment to head back towards the Throne room. He hadn’t noticed any other doors except the one they entered through.

Then again, he also hadn’t examined it in depth.

“10 credits there’s no bed,” Gnaeus said.

~***~

There was a single flash. No, no warning. Poe nodded, though he remained as confused as Finn. Especially when it flashed twice for forgetting something.

How were they supposed to figure that out?

“Finn this is Korriban, anything trying to talk to us might not have our best interests at heart,” Poe pointed out. The flashing light didn’t attempt to respond to that. “Is it still in this building?” Two flashes, “This hallway?” Two flashes.

Okay, that seemed safe enough.

“Okay bu--Force...thing, you’re going to be like a metal detector. You’re going to get brighter if we get closer, and dimmer if we get further away, okay? And you’re going to flash a lot if we’re right on top of it.”

Two flashes.

“Okay Finn, let’s try this….” Poe sighed.

Kevan was absolutely not letting them leave without the plant. And he was laughing to himself all the while that this was somehow working.

He could imagine Mira accusing him of trolling her padawan – and the fact it could happen, only made him feel a bit happier.

~***~

Mira wouldn’t smile at Hux’s obvious irritation with the direction. How was he to know the command center was right through there? Mira didn’t. Rebel bases were notably more maze-like compared to the Order. At least to her. Probably to Hux, as well.

Mira followed Hux and the cat, managing not to hit her shoulder again as she moved through doorways, and eventually reached the command center. Phasma was also there, off to the side, with her own datapad out, likely coordinating things in the Order, or keeping in communications.

After what happened, no one could blame her for it.

Mira moved ahead of Hux once they stepped into the command center, cracking a small smile at Millicent’s action to interrupt the holo, “Sorry,” not that it was her cat to apologize for, but their movement brought the cat, “Have you heard from Finn and Poe yet?” That wasn’t exactly about the meeting, but it would move there.

She still needed Finn, so that he could contact Mace, for one thing. Two, she also, probably, wanted Finn there for Gray Jedi things. They were the only two, after all. She supposed he should be there to help her sort things out with that, going forward. It would impact him.

“I don’t even have ten credits to bet,” Ariel pouted as Kylo led them back to the throne room. Ariel hadn’t even had a chance to look around the place, after hauling Hux in and immediately being thrust into a fight with the praetorian. That seemed so long ago compared to the more recent events. Ariel had gotten out of the praetorian fight fairly unscathed, so of course she had to have near traumatic injuries later.

While none of them had seen anything leading towards another room when they’d been in there last, the officer hadn’t lied.

Beyond Snoke’s throne was a set of double doors, tall and imposing. Easily missable from where they’d been standing, but there nonetheless. “Are you gonna use the throne, Kylo? I’ll take it if you don’t.” Ariel mentioned as they moved around it to get to the set of doors.

Neither Paquin nor Ariel really knew what to expect beyond the doors. Paquin thought more of a dusty crypt and Ariel figured a royal suite. It was something between that, really. Dim, walls matching the dark shine of many of the halls. Not necessarily simplistic, but it was rather empty. Perhaps that was due to the absence of a bed. At least, there wasn’t one immediately in sight, but rather a few chairs settled around a low sitting table.

“No bed, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t mess around. You don’t need a bed to throw down,” Ariel pointed out as she abandoned Gnaeus’s arm with a gentle squeeze to sit in one of the chairs.

-

Poe had a point. This Force...entity could be tricking them, lying to them. It could’ve been the Knights or something, stalling them until they got there. There were no limits on what the Force was capable of doing, he figured, even if his own range of abilities was limited. But Finn didn’t feel threatened by it.

And apparently they’d forgotten something. In the building, in that hallway. “I knew I should’ve checked under the beds.” Finn mumbled.

Finn sighed, beginning a slow descent back down the hall they’d just explored. He took a bit of an opposite route, starting where they’d ended with Kylo’s room. Gnaeus’s, Ariel’s all followed after, with Finn hoping he wouldn’t have to go back into Ariel’s room. He was fairly certain that room was a glimpse into the void or some other type of hell, specifically that painting.

The glow grew bright as he passed by what was suspected to be Mira’s room, but he passed to circle around to Kevan’s, but it grew dimmer as he did so. “Okay, Mira’s room?” He questioned, not expecting a flash, but rather going back around to it.

Finn opened the door, only to duck as something metal came flying out. “Hey!” BB-8 whirred as it turned around to face them, complaining about being left behind, but that it had managed to find some bits of metal–to go with the newly acquired crystal.

So BB-8 was the thing that they’d forgotten? Finn looked back to Poe. Did that make any sense?

-

Hux trailed after Mira, silently nodding to Phasma in greeting as he spotted her. He gestured her over, figuring it would be good for her to hear what details they might go over.

Leia was happy to greet the cat again, letting the orange thing sniff at her hand before she ran it over the cat’s head, down her back. Millicent let out a little chirp, “Nothing to be sorry for.” Millicent was a nice little distraction. She’d been looking at the holo too long, anyway. “No, nothing from Finn or Poe yet.” Which might be a bit concerning, but Leia didn’t feel like something was wrong.

She didn’t feel like there’d be anything wrong with seeing Kylo, either.

“Kaydel,” Leia called out at that thought. The blonde poked her head up. “Can you send a message to Finn and Poe? Check on them, mention Mira’s awake.” She’d give them a bit to answer before she’d send someone to Korriban to find them.

“On it, General Organa.”

“Thank you,” Leia turned back to Mira. “Speaking of you, what are you doing out of the medbay, anyway?” Wasn’t it a little soon for her to be out yet? She’d woken up not long ago. But then again, Leia couldn’t chastise. There were plenty of times Leia had gotten back to business after being knocked around. Though, it was never to the same extent that Mira had faced.

“She’s been cleared,” Hux mentioned as he joined them, lifting Millicent from the table. The cat complained a bit before going still, meowing as she looked up at Hux.

Gnaeus wondered if he had ten credits. Not on him but…somewhere? Did he have credits on Korriban? He couldn’t remember.

“Yes, I’m going to use the throne,” if only for the intimidation factor and the history of it. It’d be useful for the history alone. It would be a quiet proclamation of his power and his position. He couldn’t just give that over to Ariel.

He was pretty sure he didn’t want to know what she’d do with it.

They came into the room.

Empty.

Barren.

A few furnishings. He could see the closet, slippers near the closet door. No dresser drawers, likely entirely unnecessary. “Did he not have underwear?” Or maybe completely necessary, given the image Gnaeus decided to grace them with. Kylo just turned his head to stare at Gnaeus for that.

He realized the error. “Sorry.”

Kylo turned to look around the room. “I don’t think he used it much.” Still, there were a few things to look through, he supposed. A glass case shoved into a corner with dust covering it. He didn’t bother clearing the dust, just opened the door.

And was almost immediately thrown back from it as a trap was triggered, a shockwave throwing him onto the low table…which broke under him.

He was more surprised than he was hurt.

~***~

Kevan did flash the crystal twice at the question of Mira’s room. And Finn went back. The door was opened, and out came the droid. Kevan was immediately annoyed with the droid deterring things, so he kept the steady glow.

“That’s good, BB. Is that it?” Poe asked, as BB mentioned finding specks. Kevan flashed the kyber once, for no, and then held steady. “Huh.” Poe opened the door once again. “There’s really nothing in here except the plant, unless Mira wants some of her old armor back?"

Still, Poe walked in. Maybe there was something he overlooked because it was just so empty. He hadn’t even explored the drawers, so he went to start digging into them.

Top drawer was empty.

Second drawer was empty.

“I wonder if she really was attached to the Knights,” he murmured, shaking his head a bit. He didn’t consider it was her job that kept it barren, that her ship would have been far more personal. He didn’t know much about all that. Or even that she used to have a lot of lightsaber parts in her ship – so the metal for a new one was no surprise.

~***~

No news on Finn or Poe.

Mira hadn’t sensed anything happening to Finn, so she assumed he was okay. She doubted she would know if Poe passed away, but Finn, certainly.

Mira gave an appreciative smile for Leia calling out to someone to reach out. At least they might have a brief update soon. “Thank you,” she would be glad to hear anything. She supposed she needed to work with Hux about a datapad, at some point, so she could be reached easily.

“I was cleared,” she seconded, “there may still be anesthesia in my system, but nothing terribly detrimental.” The Force was probably helping with that, in some ways. It usually did with poison, though she wouldn’t bring that up. She reached out for Millicent to stroke under her chin as Hux lifted her.

“I wanted to ask a bit about when we’re anticipating this meeting – if you’ve heard from Luke or Governor Tarkin?” Or if she had contacted anyone just yet.

‘I never get anything around here.’ Ariel complained when Kylo denied her of the throne. What would he do with it? Scare people? She could make better use of it, but she didn’t fight it. Too absorbed into the conversation of Snoke’s underwear, or lack thereof. He did wear robes, maybe he liked it breezy. Maybe it made him feel more connected to the Force. Not that Ariel wanted to think of Snoke free-balling.

“Didn’t use underwear much?” Paquin questioned as she wandered. How would Kylo know that?

“He means the room.” Ariel clarified, scrunching her nose. She watched as Kylo moved to an old glass case off in the corner, open the door. “What’s–” Ariel cut herself off with a yelp as Kylo was thrown back. Her instincts were to pull her legs onto the chair, away from Kylo’s crashing body.

Where Ariel cringed away, Paquin closed the distance to Kylo. “Are you okay?” She asked as she looked over him to make sure he hadn’t aggravated or reopened his abdominal wound, her hands wrapping around his arm to help pull him up. Not that she really had much strength of her own to pull him up, but she tried to help.

“There goes a perfectly good table,” Ariel knew Kylo was okay, it was just a little toss. He’d been through worse. She was the injured one (and she intented to milk that of all it was worth until she could no longer). Of course, she still got a disapproving look from Paquin, but she easily brushed it off. “What’s in there?” She asked, not getting up to go investigate. Why did Snoke think it was worth rigging?

-

There was more to Mira’s bedroom, it seemed, as the crystal kept glowing even though they’d rediscovered BB-8.

BB-8 beeped confusedly as both Poe and Finn reentered the room, Poe going to the drawers while Finn went to the closet. There had to have been more than just a plant and BB-8 in here for the crystal and whatever was behind it to want them in there so badly, right? And yet, there was nothing in her drawers. The closet was almost just as barren, too.

When Finn opened in, he could see right to the back of it. There was a couple sets of Mira’s knight armor pushed to one side and on the other side sat a single shirt, the First Order insignia on the sleeve of it. He recognized it. Finn reached forward, touching it. It must’ve been the medic, Paquin’s. That was a bit sad to Finn, she’d always been nice to him and the other troopers.

“I don’t know if Mira was ever allowed to be attached.” Finn commented as he let the sleeve go. He meant she wasn’t allowed to have attachments, sure, but he also was fairly certain Mira wasn’t usually around them in general. She was sent off to Wild Space, while it seemed the others loitered around here. “She was–is attached to Kylo and Kevan, at least.” The others? He didn’t know about that.

But Kevan, well...wasn’t she where she was because of him? And Finn new, despite that stabbing, Mira was still attached to Kylo. “Even if she never says it.” Finn looked up at the shelf above the rack, usually reserved for shoes, but empty. At least, from what he could see. Still, he reached up, hand searching around. And he felt something. “Oh? What’s this…”

-

Leia returned Mira’s smile, “Of course,” she herself would find comfort in hearing from the pair. She watched as Hux lifted the cat and Mira pet the thing. Leia briefly questioned who the owner of the cat was. She’d thought it was Hux’s, but then Millicent had been rather eager to see Mira. And then Mira apologized on behalf of the cat. Maybe they shared her.

What was it about pets looking like their owners? Millicent certainly looked like Hux. Just like Han had looked like Chewbacca, at times. Where was Chewbacca nowadays? Leia would have to ask Maz, as those two got along famously.

“Well, I’d hope to get it together as soon as possible,” Leia had aimed for the following day at least. That would give everyone some time to rest, process, recover. Or at least, the people in the room at the moment. She’d have been open to sooner, too, but that seemed terribly unlikely. “I told Luke to get his ass here, but he’s never been good at the communication thing,” especially not recently. “I reached out to Governor Tarkin, as well, but it hasn’t been long,” much more professional than any of the messages to her brother, too.

“I gave a tentative date of tomorrow. If all works out, we’ll gather to work something out then. And if Luke doesn’t show…,” that would be his own fault. “I don’t want to wait too long and miss our shot, but I understand you want to bring others to the table, as well,” Mace, mainly, who Leia had no idea what he’d be like or where he was. But if it meant something to Mira, Leia would work with it. "General Hux, if there's anyone you want to include, I'd recommend reaching out soon."

"Everyone I need is here."

Kylo definitely meant the room. He was trying not to think of Snoke and Gnaeus’s noticing the worst thing possible. He’d say it would give him nightmares if he wasn’t already fairly used to nightmares, when he dreamt. Right then, he wasn’t thinking of nightmares, just the irritation of the table and hitting it.

Kylo leaned into Paquin’s help, not that he needed it, but he was grateful nonetheless. “I’m okay,” his wound hadn’t reopened. It was a cheap sort of defense, not what Kylo would expect from Snoke.

Perhaps it was meant only as an alarm, something to alert Snoke himself?

He managed to get back to his feet, even if it was a bit awkward with the table fallen. “I’ll go see,” he gave Ariel a look for questioning it, but he moved forward anyways, lightly brushing off Paquin’s hands before he started to move.

No secondary trap triggered.

That was good, at least.

“It’s just masks.” Kylo sounded confused as he said it, looking at the collection contained within the glass.

Gnaeus drew away from Ariel’s side, “No…Kylo, that’s Darth Momin’s mask,” Gnaeus pointed to one of them, pale. Kylo didn’t understand why, “That mask was destroyed.” Or so he’d been told. It didn’t look as if it had been pieced together again. “Ariel,” she was more the Sith expert than he was, “wasn’t that part of Sidious’s collection that Snoke told us was destroyed?” Along with a few other masks.

Sidious apparently had a fetish, or something.

~***~

Poe frowned at that bit about being attached to Kylo. He wondered if that was still true, even after this. He wondered if that was still true for Leia, even after this.

Poe knew he’d see, soon.

And likely be disappointed, and hate Kylo Ren all the more for the pain he was putting others through just by existing. Just by having the dumb luck to be born Leia’s son.

Poe finished with the drawers, and was going to check under the bed or something, given the kyber was still glowing, but his datapad pinged. “Hold on a sec,” he said to Finn, as he stepped out of the room to answer. “Hey, Kaydel, what’s up? How’s Leia?”

“Leia’s fine,” that was a blatant lie, Leia had been staring at a holo for a while and was only now interrupted, but Kaydel wouldn’t be saying that. “She wanted a report from you and Finn.”

“Oh, yeah – we’re about done here. We found what we needed, we’re just taking a quick look around to see if there’s anything else.” Poe answered.

Meanwhile, Finn was finding something Mira had left behind at a much younger age, a ringed orb made of astrium – a key, although she’d never found the door – of the zeffo who had supposedly run off after nearly destroying themselves into the “great unknown”, what she’d interpreted as Wild Space.

~***~

Tomorrow.

It almost seemed like too much time, to Mira. ‘You know Kylo isn’t just sitting around.’ Kylo was famously impatient. As soon as he was able, he would be planning something. Trying to use what Snoke left behind, to do more damage. Still, arguing that was pointless.

Having a meeting with just the three of them wasn’t enough, no matter Hux’s declaration. Tarkin was their way into the Senate, and making changes.

Perhaps Mira might be willing not to see Luke ever again, but she knew this still had to be address, for the sake of the public, if nothing else. She had been the one to spread the Jedi texts, and she would now be the one opposing the rise of the Jedi. ‘Should I ask about a room?’ Mira knew she was with the Order. She knew it was more likely she was heading back with Hux, but there was a part of her that wondered if it might be better to stay, after what happened with Kylo.

‘Leia will have Finn. Poe.’ Perhaps Luke if he’d get his ass there.

She might wait, at least, to hear about that. “I’m sure we’ll still be ready tomorrow. I suppose that gives me just enough time to find something clean to wear,” Mira allowed. Perhaps enough time for the anaesthesia to be fully out of her system. Maybe time to get a different eye patch. If her uniform was going to be white, she should probably have a white one.

“General?” That was Kaydel, “I spoke with Poe. He says that he and Finn are about done.”

“Darth Momin?” Paquin wondered aloud. How many Darths were there? She was sure there were many, too many for her to keep track of. Paquin looked to Ariel, since she apparently had the answers. Ariel’s disquietude was painted on her face, brows furrowed and mouth set.

“Yeah, it was,” Ariel answered Gnaeus as she reached for Paquin. “So Snoke lied.” That wasn’t surprising but why did he lie? It wasn’t like she or Gnaeus would have done anything about it.

Paquin helped Ariel to keep steady as they shuffled to join Gnaeus and Kylo around the case. Ariel didn’t appear to like the mask, for whatever reason. “Darth Momin was quite the Sith, and had a worse taste in art than me,” she offered to Paquin, at least. She wasn’t sure how much of what she’d read on him was fact or what was myth, but he was unsettling beyond the typical Sith. She recalled reading about him wanting to stop time so he could see the terror on people’s faces in their final moments.

Ariel offered none of that information. “It should be destroyed, genuinely this time,” she grumbled. If there was truth to what she read, which there usually was, the thing was akin to an infection. “But if Snoke had this, what else does he have that he didn’t tell us about?” More of Sidious’s collection?

Now she was anxious to see what they were bringing on board.

-

Finn’s hand found something cool, round. His brows furrowed as he gripped it, bringing it down and into his view. An orb encircled by a ring, made of a worn looking metal. Finn didn’t know what it was, unaware of its status as a key. It just looked like a ball to him. Like a planet, he supposed. There was no identifying marks or any additional information provided, he didn’t think much of it.

Except it was the only thing remotely close to a personal artifact in Mira’s room, aside from the lost cause of a plant. It stood out. 'This must’ve been what the Force was trying to tell me about!’ “Thanks, Force.” Finn was content with the discovery, BB-8 beeping as it began to lead the way out. But Finn paused, sighing.

The plant. It was the only other personal thing in the room. He was fairly certain it was destined to die, but at least he’d let Mira say goodbye to it.

So he placed it in the drawer along with everything else they’d found, but he kept the strange spherical thing out, to show it to Poe. Maybe Poe would know something.

And then he exited Mira’s room, catching the last bit of conversation. “Alright, I’ll see you guys soon,” Kaydel’s voice, he recognized, but it lasted only briefly before she clicked off.

“Everything okay?”

-

Hux cared little about whether Luke or anyone else showed up or not. He was wary of any Jedi input anyway, and if Luke was absent it would be his own fault. As far as Hux was concerned, the only people who needed to be there were the three of them and Tarkin. The Jedi had the chance, maybe it was time they let something new have influence.

“We can find you something to wear, if you want,” Leia offered. “Might be a bit rebel-ish, but we can scrounge up something fit for a Jedi–Grey Jedi.” Apparently the Resistance had a bit of it’s own fashion trends. As did the Jedi with their robes. Leia supposed Grey Jedi fashion was whatever Mira wanted it to be. Of course, the woman had blanked the fact that Mira held rank in the Order, for just a moment, that she might want to represent them.

Kaydel drew her attention with news of Finn and Poe and Leia felt what small amount of worry she had be relieved. She would be glad when they got back, too. And she figured she had a bit of talking to do with Poe, too. “Thank you, Kaydel.” The girl smiled and her head disappeared again, back to work.

“I could have something sent here?” Hux offered to Mira instead. Hux would eventually have to go back to the Finalizer before the following day. He had some things to handle as well as return Millicent. He thought this visit would be a good time to stretch her legs, get some fresh air, and amuse Mira, but the cat was safest on the ship. Of course, Hux would prefer if Mira would return with him, so he wouldn’t worry. And to get her eye looked at by his own medics.

But he would understand if she wanted to stay with Leia, given the circumstances.

“I honestly find that hard to believe,” Kylo stated, though he’d heard a few things about Darth Momin. Perhaps if he paid more attention, he would have heard more, but really he’d only cared about Vader. He knew quite a bit about Sidious, of course, and Bane, and then the others he knew smatterings of information about. Momin was at least on that list.

“We’re not destroying it,” Kylo stated.

He saw no reason to, even given the uneasy looks from Ariel and Gnaeus.

Gnaeus, who’s gaze continued over the masks. The helmet of an Inquisitor. He couldn’t have said which one from a look, but it was strange that he had so many masks. And there were those that Gnaeus couldn’t recognize at all, and he wondered if they were other…apprentices…of Snoke.

Other Knights.

“It isn’t safe, Kylo. And it offers us nothing.”

“Why?” Kylo asked.

Gnaeus sighed, “Because the masks is so steeped in the darkness that was Momin, it’s maintained some of his personality. Or that’s what I’ve heard. Wearing it, you’d lose your mind.”

“I’m not going to wear it,” though he wondered if that might be a useful ‘gift’ for an enemy, in the moment. He pushed that aside. “Is that how all of these are?”

“I’m not certain of all, but…the ones I recognize, yes. It appears Snoke had a collection of imprinted masks.” For whatever reasons.

“I wonder if there’s enough of them left to get information from their memories….” Kylo couldn’t help but reach out to one, the Inquisitor’s. He knew he didn’t have psychometry, just touching it wouldn’t tell him anything, but perhaps, “Perhaps it was one of Snoke’s projects….” Even if they were tucked away back here.

~***~

Kevan could have sighed, if he could have breathed.

However, he was greatly relieved when Finn went to the plant. The kyber flashed its message of satisfaction, several times, before quieting. Dimming down, fading away, as Finn went out of the room to join Poe. They had everything. Kevan was surprised by the astrium, though he remembered Mira showing it to him once upon a time.

A key, she’d said. Not to Jedi, not to Sith, to something entirely other. It had fascinated her, though it wasn’t her stated mission by Snoke. Still, she had hoped to find the door.

Apparently, she never had.

Apparently, she’d forgotten all about it.

Poe looked up as the call ended, and gave a nod to Finn, “Yeah, Leia’s just getting worried,” he said as he stuck the datapad into his pocket, “What is that?” he noticed what Finn was holding, and looked at the object with some curiosity. He didn’t recognize it at all, one answer to Finn’s unasked question.

Even the metal seemed unusual.

~***~

Clothing was offered by both Leia, and Hux. Mira knew she had official uniforms with the First Order. She hadn’t quite developed any sense of fashion for the Gray Jedi – First Order uniform obviously couldn’t be it. She wasn’t sure piecemeal attire from the Resistance would be it, either. Still, she did find it a bit strange that Hux offered to have the clothing sent there.

Perhaps she didn’t need to say anything. She likely should stay around the medics that helped, right? Not to mention, there was a need to catch up with Finn, even if he wasn’t fully aware of that – he likely knew Finn had his own place, his own slot, and Mira wouldn’t be leaving until she saw him, at least.

And Finn still needed training.

Finn wouldn’t go back to a First Order ship for that. Mira would never make him.

‘And we may need to distance.’ Until Mira forgot they ever had a moment, at least. Until she didn’t think about it, until questions of her appearance didn’t leave her wondering how much it had ruined how she seemed in Hux’s eyes, too.

So Mira wouldn’t ask about going back with Hux and make it any more questionable than it needed to be. She would nod, “I think that would be good, General,” she said to Hux. She could stay here, and retain the appearance of the Order. Her own weird, mental compromise. After the meeting, she’d certainly have to go back with him, unless Jedi things got weird.

Perhaps she could linger until the matter of the eye was figured out. She had reason enough to stay around the same medics, right? “I appreciate your offer, Leia – I’m not quite sure what Gray Jedi norm will be yet, but I think I should at least stay somewhat obvious during official meetings.” She might not have Gray Jedi attire, but her personal position was still with the Order.

As was her official position.

Paquin’s own fingers reached out, almost unconsciously, to stroke over the details of a mask. Ghost white with red markings, it was almost skeletal looking.

“It’s not just wearing it, either.” Wearing Momin’s mask would twist anyone, assuredly, but the presence alone had a great influence. The essences that lingered in any of the masks, really, and Ariel greatly worried for the ones that she didn’t know. Kylo reached out to touch one of the masks and out of instinct Ariel’s own darted out to grab him by the wrist. Not hard, but cautionary.

“Please be careful, Kylo. If Momin’s is anything to go by, prying isn’t the way to quell your curiosity.” They weren’t like Vader’s mask, they were darker. Purposeful.

Paquin was surprised by the seriousness Ariel had adopted, a stark contrast to joking about Snoke’s underwear or the table Kylo broke. Her own hand drew away from the mask she lingered on.

Ariel wondered if the trap was an alert that was meant to keep someone from getting in, or an alert that something had gotten out. “Maybe he has something recorded about them,” about what purpose they served, if they had been a project of Snoke’s. To avoid Kylo prodding at the imbued masks too much. Ariel released Kylo, her hand falling to her side. “We’ve still got his closet to look through. I wonder if that’s trapped, too.” Ariel attempted to shift.

And she kind of wanted one of Snoke’s ostentatious robes. For lounging.

-

“I guess we have been gone for a while,” Finn commented. The time really did pass him by, not that they were having fun, really. Engrossed in searching, he supposed, and maybe the strange feeling of the planet had something to do with it.

Poe already answered one of the questions Finn’s mind had been asking, and he was back to square one. Not that he’d ever left it, but that just meant he’d have to ask someone else. He wondered if Mira would appreciate that they’d gone through her things, if he brought it up to her. But then again, it seemed forgotten. Maybe she’d be glad to see it. Either way.

“I have no idea.” Finn answered, holding it up as if he hadn’t examined it back in Mira’s room, either. “I was hoping you’d know. I found it on the shelf in Mira’s closet, but nothing there to explain it.” He shrugged. Maybe something else they gathered would explain it. He’d have to skim through the books at least on the way back. But it seemed like he’d be asking Mira about it.

“I think we’ve stolen everything we could though. We’ll give the place a once over on our way out, but let’s head back to base so Leia doesn’t get too worried again,” she didn’t need to worry about him and Poe. Finn didn’t want her to worry about anything, really, but he could at least remedy what they’d created and cross something off her list.

Finn wanted to get back to Mira, too. See how her eye and her face was coming along.

-

General Hux found himself disappointed in Mira’s agreement, despite the fact that he’d been the one to offer in the first place. He supposed he’d hoped she’d say no–that she’d get something herself when she left along with him. But he figured there was also much in the way of reason for her to stay, as well. Stay near the medics who had treated her, near Leia, near Finn when he came.

Maybe it was better that they’d have some distance, anyway. To focus on their work. And nothing else.

It was only a night, after all.

“Of course,” Leia nodded, though there was a bit of a realization on her part that made her sad. While the First Order and the Resistance were allies now, Mira still, technically, wasn’t on her side. The only reason that made her sad was because it amplified with the resounding ‘fuck off’ her son had given her. She was overthinking. She was ready for this meeting to be her distraction, as hopefully it would set things in motion.

She could deal with her feelings later.

“I’m afraid there’s not much more we can do until I start receiving responses,” Leia sighed as she stood, idly reaching out to pet the cat. It was surprisingly therapeutic. “I can show you to Finn’s room. Or find you an empty one, if you’d like.” Just for the sake of having some time to herself, as Leia was sure she’d need it.

“I can send ahead to the First Order,” Hux mentioned, adjusting Millicent, who was ready to jump free. “If there’s anything else you’d like to be brought here.”

Kylo’s gaze snapped to Ariel, a harsh look, as she grabbed his wrist and tried to insist on caution. ‘I can handle it!’ He wanted to say, but didn’t. His irritation didn’t fade, but he at least wouldn’t pick up the mask and try to examine it right then.

When Ariel let his hand go, he still had that urge, though.

However, he supposed approaching it first from other means would be good. Look into what Pryde knew. Learn about the Force projects. “I’ll check,” he doubted the closet was trapped, but he supposed if any of them were going to get thrown across a room again, it would still be him. At least no one could accuse him of being a leader who didn’t lead.

Although some may have considered the risks stupid.

Still, he moved away from the glass case. He missed the look that Gnaeus shot Ariel, that question of ‘what the hell do we do?’ – because he knew Kylo’s patience wouldn’t last.

He wasn’t expecting a verbal answer, just confirmation that Ariel knew.

And when Kylo threw open the closet, there was no trap. “Well. He does have other colors,” Kylo noted, staring blankly into the closet full of robes. Gold, red, black, gray, silver.

“Pink?” Gnaeus asked.

“No, Gnaeus.”

~***~

It seemed Finn didn’t know, either. Poe wasn’t surprised. He wasn’t sure how safe the item was, but he figured it was safe enough for a trip back to base. Someone would recognize it, right? In theory, Mira would. Then again, maybe she kept it around because she didn’t know what it was, either.

Just knew it was something.

“Sounds like a plan. Hey, uh, Force Thing – we good?”

Two flashes.

And Kevan feeling the sensation of rolling his eyes. Oh, if only he had eyes to roll.

Poe would still peek into rooms as they walked by, and glance around as they took the same path out of the temple structure and back towards the ship. It didn’t look like anyone else had arrived, and his ship seemed unmolested.

BB-8 chimed relief. “Yeah, me too, buddy.”

~***~

Leia’s own sorrow was easy enough to detect, perhaps because Mira was so focused on the details right then. She wouldn’t call her out on it, nor apologize. It was the truth. The truth was also that Mira had wanted the Resistance and Order together, but nonetheless, she had the side she was ‘on’, even if they were working together.

They were still different.

“I appreciate the hospitality, but I think I may be overstepping if I continue to claim empty rooms,” Mira recalled she had a room to herself when she first arrived. Perhaps Leia had the space for it. Perhaps even her ranking position in the Order now almost entitled her to it, but she didn’t want to press that.

She didn’t want any reorganization, or jealousy, or anger, budding. “I can stay with Finn. I’m sure he won’t mind terribly.”

And if he did, well, they’d figure it out then.

Mira wasn’t sure how to answer Armitage’s statement, at first. ‘What else do I have?’ Perhaps that was a sincere question. What else did she have, besides clothes? Mira was certain she hadn’t left anything behind. The only thing she might have wanted was for him to stick around, but the opposite was better.

Rather than ask the question, she shook her head – until she realized, “Oh. I…broke my datapad.” When she was upset he was gone, when Terex didn’t answer, “If there is another that can be issued to me, I think that would be useful. I’m not sure if there’s much backed-up in regards to the planets,” she knew at least 100 of them would be, but after that point, she wasn’t certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back