Anime & Manga Sports Anime?

AThiefOfSpades

HSS Fandom Rep/Pun Bun/A Friendly Face
Hey, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but for every sport, there tends to be one or two particular anime/manga about it that everyone knows. Examples:

Swimming: Free!

Tennis: Prince of Tennis

Basketball: Kuroku No Basket,

Volleyball: Haikyuu, Crimson Hero

Soccer/Football: Inazuma Eleven and Area No Kishi

Drag Racing: Initial D

I was wondering if anyone had any other sports anime for the above sports they'd recommend OR anime/manga for other sports they'd recommend. I really like sports anime, so please help me out.

I´m not a particular fan of the genre, but for Tennis there is also baby steps and I think Keijo and Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm can be included in it, but only if fictional sports count as well.

2101529-blues24.jpg

I totally used Rokudenashi Blues (A Boxing Anime) to inspire a few of my own Original Characters.

American Football: Eyeshield 21

Baseball: Big Windup (kiddo's got anxiety), One Outs (adults betting on matches, but one of the adults is also the pitcher)

Volleyball: Haikyuu (doesn't villianize other teams)

Rugby: All Out!!

There's actually so many for Soccer/Football. Giant Killing is fun because adults, again.

Holyland only has a manga and is about delinquents beating the crap out of each other in back alleys moreso than actual sport but it covers a lot of the same themes and like my favorite sport animes goes into details on the mechanics and finer points of strategy.

It's quite dark at times and tackles some very serious subject matter but it is really good.

I think these are all the sports anime I've watched. There are a number of repeats, but I was on a roll.

Basketball:
-Dear Boys (This was just kind of a filler for me. Not great, but not exactly horrible either.)
-Kuroko no Basuke

Baseball:
-Cross Game
-Diamond no Ace
-Major (It's long, but this is one of my favorites.)
-One Outs
-Ookiku Furikabutte

Boxing:
-Hajime no Ippo

Cycling:
-Over Drive (Personally I'm not a fan of this)
-Yowamushi Pedal

Football:
-Eyeshield 21

Fishing:
-Tsuritama (I love this anime, though it's not really competitive. The atmosphere is just great.)

Swimming:
-Free

Volleyball:
-Haikyuu!
-Hungry Heart: Wild Striker

Soccer:
-Aoki Densetsu Shoot! (I couldn't ever get into this one, but I figured I'd list it anyways)
-Giant Killing
-Whistle
-Area no Kishi
-Ginga e Kickoff
-Days

Tennis:
-Baby Steps
-Prince of Tennis

Ping Pong the Animation (Ping Pong)
Lu Shidai (Lu's Time - Chinese animation about League of Legends/eSports)
Hikaru No Go (Go)
Diamond No Ace (Baseball)
Yowamushi Pedal (Bicycling)
Keijo!!!! (Keijo - butt/boob wrestling, more fanservice than anything but still does the sports anime action really well)

there's yuri on ice which is ice skating, and i remember there was this cheerleading one [i think it was called cheer danshi? i've been meaning to watch it], also prince of stride which is parkour. other than that the only sports anime i've seen are free and haikyuu. oH and there's a cycling one my friend recommended which i think was yowamushi pedal

there's yuri on ice which is ice skating, and i remember there was this cheerleading one [i think it was called cheer danshi? i've been meaning to watch it], also prince of stride which is parkour. other than that the only sports anime i've seen are free and haikyuu. oH and there's a cycling one my friend recommended which i think was yowamushi pedal
Oh yeah, Cheer Boys was cute. and I love Yowamushi Pedal. Forgot about it, but I love Makishima

Random pick Sumo: Hinomaru Zumou. I think its one of the better series in Jump right now.

Chihayafuru my dudes! It's the best sports anime I've ever seen. It perfectly captures the theater that sports can be, with its wonderfully flawed characters. It also hits every sports cliche and does ten flawlessly. Never has rooting for the underdog been so much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back