Experiences Spelling, grammar and punctuation pet peeves!

I don't like it at all when people go on a bitching session about adverbs. (Looking at you, Stephen King!) Even grammar checkers are going on about not using adverbs these days. Like ... what the heck? I don't see how adverbs are any different from adjectives in terms of adding detail and clarity to writing. They are only a problem if they are overused - but that's the same as anything, really. I'm making a stand for adverbs right here!
I stand with you !! They can try and pry those adverbs from my cold dead hands - I will continue using them no matter what every grammar checker thinks!

Honestly I'm pretty chill when it comes to spelling/grammar/punctuation but I have one that you don't see very often but it drives me up the freaking wall. I've only seen maybe two or three different people do it in my 10+ years of roleplay but each time it makes me wonder just WHY?!

People will put a space on BOTH sides of a comma.

Example:

INCORRECT: If only I was stronger , I could beat him!
CORRECT: If only I was stronger, I could beat him!

Honestly I just can't-

Aside from the ever common your vs. you're, and the their, there, and they're misuse, the one that really irks me is using than in place of then.
Also, when people have a run-on sentence that should, at the very least, be broken up by commas so that it can be easily interpreted. Like, sure it could be three different statements. Whatever. That can pass. I'm not an idiot, and I can glean the context without a perfect delivery. But don't just string along the whole paragraph without so much as a denotation to a pause. It becomes very confusing to read. The purpose of the text is lost because I'm so busy trying to separate the syntax, that I can't pay attention to what it is trying to convey.

While we all can have some pet peeves and not everyone is always using perfect grammar it would still be advised to take personal discussions to Private Messages to not derail the thread.
Thank you.

There is one thing that makes me feel terrible while reading.

Breath vs. breathe.

Every time, without fault, it makes me feel like I'm tripping over myself and slamming headfirst into concrete. While reading, my mind can anticipate what kind of word is going to come, or specifically which word, especially with the more common phrases. This pair reads so differently that I always require a moment to recover from the impact. I can understand if it's a typo, but too often it was in edited and published books.

A and an when referring to objects.

An person when it should be a.
A object when it should be an.

It’s small, but it drives me insane.

When people don't know the difference between words like shuttered/shuddered and don/dawn and so on. In UK English these words sound completely different, so when you have someone write "she shuttered with the cold", then it takes a moment to understand what the person is trying to convey. Kinda throws you out of the narrative a bit.

Also I never fail to find people who say "bare with me" utterly hilarious. XD

I don't like it at all when people go on a bitching session about adverbs. (Looking at you, Stephen King!) Even grammar checkers are going on about not using adverbs these days. Like ... what the heck? I don't see how adverbs are any different from adjectives in terms of adding detail and clarity to writing. They are only a problem if they are overused - but that's the same as anything, really. I'm making a stand for adverbs right here!

Some adverbs are useful, like those that indicate temporal relationships. When authors say not to use adverbs, they're usually talking about "bad adverbs", or words that don't communicate any additional meaning.

Example:

Screenshot_20200915-173050.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back