Experiences Spelling, grammar and punctuation pet peeves!

Not sure if this counts as a spelling error since it's intentional but written-out stammers. Need I say more?
I know this is real old but I wanna EMPHASIZE THIS

I'm fine with written out stammers in RP. It makes an amount of sense, you're trying to portray a certain character in a probably-tense real-life situation.

But I'm sorry, when you're specifically going out of your way to add stutters to your everyday online conversation, you are NOT in a tense irl situation that would cause you hesitation to your speech. Because you're not speaking. You are typing, sir. What, are your fingers stuttering? Stuttering all the way to the - key?

Stuttering happens when you second-guess what you said, or because of other conditions. You have all the time in the world to think of what you're saying because YOU'RE TYPING IT. In fact, it takes LONGER to say what you're saying when y-you type l-like this...

It feels manipulative. Like you're trying to come off as fragile, shy, and cute. Super freaking shady.

I know this is real old but I wanna EMPHASIZE THIS

I'm fine with written out stammers in RP. It makes an amount of sense, you're trying to portray a certain character in a probably-tense real-life situation.

But I'm sorry, when you're specifically going out of your way to add stutters to your everyday online conversation, you are NOT in a tense irl situation that would cause you hesitation to your speech. Because you're not speaking. You are typing, sir. What, are your fingers stuttering? Stuttering all the way to the - key?

Stuttering happens when you second-guess what you said, or because of other conditions. You have all the time in the world to think of what you're saying because YOU'RE TYPING IT. In fact, it takes LONGER to say what you're saying when y-you type l-like this...

It feels manipulative. Like you're trying to come off as fragile, shy, and cute. Super freaking shady.

S-so... you don't like to be s-subject to l-l-literary emotional m-manipulation? *sad anime eyes*

I am of course, joking.
OR AM I

S-so... you don't like to be s-subject to l-l-literary emotional m-manipulation? *sad anime eyes*

I am of course, joking.
OR AM I
O-oh no, I-I didn't m-mean to offend anyone... I-I just wanted you to g-give me your wallet and phone 🔫uwu

I am convinced that no one knows how to use semi-colons, myself included, and I think they should be eradicated from grammar altogether. (Sorry to interrupt the UWU chatter cause I love it but these things must be expressed)

I am convinced that no one knows how to use semi-colons, myself included, and I think they should be eradicated from grammar altogether. (Sorry to interrupt the UWU chatter cause I love it but these things must be expressed)
I just go off of the idea that if there's a comma followed by a conjunction, then you can replace them both with a singular semicolon.

I think we could do without them. I do use them, but I feel as though I probably don't use them enough. I know there are times where I probably should use one but don't. XD

I think there are moments where you could use one and it's just better not to. DOWN WITH SEMI-COLONS.

I think there are moments where you could use one and it's just better not to. DOWN WITH SEMI-COLONS.

Sometimes they are useful....? I'd let them stay.

Oh god I'm getting flashbacks to learning touch typing when you had to write things like sad; lad; dad; etc because the semicolon is on one of the home keys and wondering who the heck placed it in such a prominent position when it never gets used? XD

It annoys me when people keep switching their past and present tenses while writing but I have found that this is common with people when their native language is not english.

Sometimes they are useful....? I'd let them stay.

Oh god I'm getting flashbacks to learning touch typing when you had to write things like sad; lad; dad; etc because the semicolon is on one of the home keys and wondering who the heck placed it in such a prominent position when it never gets used? XD

Mavis Beacon, or those weird little blue/grey plastic word processors you'd have to check out from the teacher? :V

Mavis Beacon, or those weird little blue/grey plastic word processors you'd have to check out from the teacher? :V

We didn't have those, although I was thinking of buying one on ebay so I can type without looking at a glowing screen. I still might.

We definitely had Mavis Beacon! And there was some other thing which made touch typing into a game... ?

Lol me again.

piqued.

If something caught your attention, maybe it piqued your interest.

It did not "peak" your interest or "peek" your interest or "pike" your interest.

It piqued your interest.

Amusingly, piqued is also a word for being annoyed or perturbed. XD

Using ’*’ to indicate action. For Christ’s sake, this is a roleplay, not an online sandpit to replace the void Fortnite left in a 7 year old’s heart. And, yes, I know how common it is, but I hate, hate, hate people not using *”* for speech.

Whew, okay. Ellipses used in place of a period, where the sentence isn't trailing off or whatever. Ellipses with a thousand dots. Ellipses used in almost every sentence, just because. There's perfectly good punctuation that doesn't use three dots or more, so why use SO MANY GODDAMN ELLIPSES.

I read something a while ago that used it in every line of dialogue (and many times in narrative as well) and it was so taxing to read. None of the lines had any sort of emotion because they were all half-heartedly trailing off, and it was hard to keep track of sentences. They also didn't stick with a set number of dots and just keyboard smashed a whole ton, so some would trail to the next lines.

Whew, okay. Ellipses used in place of a period, where the sentence isn't trailing off or whatever. Ellipses with a thousand dots. Ellipses used in almost every sentence, just because. There's perfectly good punctuation that doesn't use three dots or more, so why use SO MANY GODDAMN ELLIPSES.

I read something a while ago that used it in every line of dialogue (and many times in narrative as well) and it was so taxing to read. None of the lines had any sort of emotion because they were all half-heartedly trailing off, and it was hard to keep track of sentences. They also didn't stick with a set number of dots and just keyboard smashed a whole ton, so some would trail to the next lines.

Sometimes I'm writing a post and I find I'm using a ton of ellipses, and I just go back and turn them all into commas or periods or other appropriate punctuation. I think what it is, is that when you're writing, you pause for thought at that point, and your pauses subconsciously leak into your writing. At least I think that's what it is with me.

Sometimes I'm writing a post and I find I'm using a ton of ellipses, and I just go back and turn them all into commas or periods or other appropriate punctuation. I think what it is, is that when you're writing, you pause for thought at that point, and your pauses subconsciously leak into your writing. At least I think that's what it is with me.

Huh, interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that. I think it's because my default is to use periods, so if I'm ending anything, it'll be with a period.

I really dislike when people are rude over someone making small typos, or mistakes. Like, yeah, it's good to proof-read, but accidents happen and there's no need to purposefully make someone feel bad over it imo, especially if you can understand what they were trying to say perfectly fine.

I really dislike when people are rude over someone making small typos, or mistakes. Like, yeah, it's good to proof-read, but accidents happen and there's no need to purposefully make someone feel bad over it imo, especially if you can understand what they were trying to say perfectly fine.

That's what we have this thread for, so you can get it off your chest without bothering the other person with something that is more your problem than theirs. XD

That's what we have this thread for, so you can get it off your chest without bothering the other person with something that is more your problem than theirs. XD
Oh I know, I just thought this opinion fit in the thread since it's a pet peeve related to grammar/punctuation/spelling lol

Oh I know, I just thought this opinion fit in the thread since it's a pet peeve related to grammar/punctuation/spelling lol

It definitely fits in! XD

I really hate it when I use a wrong spelling or wrong word deliberately because I think it will be funny, and someone corrects me. :/ Mainly because there's no comeback. If you make a joke and no one thinks its funny, then it's not anyone else's fault but your own. XD

I mostly get mad at myself when I use semi-colons (even though I know how to use them) wrong; semi-colons can be incorrect even if correct, sort of. Definitely the hardest and perhaps most lawless thing in english.

I don't like it at all when people go on a bitching session about adverbs. (Looking at you, Stephen King!) Even grammar checkers are going on about not using adverbs these days. Like ... what the heck? I don't see how adverbs are any different from adjectives in terms of adding detail and clarity to writing. They are only a problem if they are overused - but that's the same as anything, really. I'm making a stand for adverbs right here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back