• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sorcery!!! (Completed)

She approached stonework at the edge to the right. The bridge was mostly crumbled, much like the one on the river, but this was so enormous that it was hard to imagine a human hand building it. Perhaps it was not built by a human, perhaps Giants had lived here at some point. Though, Aquila would not be able to cross it in this state.

- Jump down.
- Cast a spell.
- Go down the mountain.
- Use the Beacon.

>> Use the Beacon <<

Aquila glanced over the crumbled bridge with tired eyes, the battle with the Moon Serpent had drained her and the red head just wanted to find somewhere safe to rest for the night. She reached into her cloak to withdraw the Beacon that Lorag had given her -- it had worked the first time when she'd tried to cross a ruined bridge.

The Beacon glowed and the scenery around her changed. The whole mountain top was covered in grass. In front of her stretched the enormous bridge with its dozen arches, spanning over the valley. Underneath the bridge, the Forest remained the same. She would be able to cross over the bridge now, or climb down the side of it, if she wanted to go to the Forest. However, she had to hurry, as the spell would not last long.

- Go down the side of the bridge.
- Go across the bridge.

>> Go across the bridge <<

Every time the world shifted around her Aquila was struck by the sheer magnitude of the Beacon and its abilities. For moment she lingered and watched the last tendrils of light disappear into the air, and then Aquila was moving forward across the bridge. That had been her original intention after all, and descending into the Forest at such an hour hardly seemed like a good idea. She recalled the length of the spell and recognized that it wouldn't last forever, Aquila didn't want to be caught off-guard and hurried across the bridge with due haste.

The sorcery started to shimmer around her once she passed half the length of the bridge. The stone beneath her crumled and the white paint peeled to reveal a dull grey. The way forward was collapsed. Nothing was left but a sheer drop, some ten meters high. There was a rustle beneath her, coming from some shrubber on the middle level of the bridge. Gripweed grew on the side of the bridge.

- Climb down.
- Use the Beacon.
- Jump down.

>> Climb down <<
Aquila breathed out a frustrated sigh as she gazed at the drop before her, it seemed like she would be going down after all. The forest still didn't look like a terribly safe option but the red head hoped she would find shelter there. It was getting dark and with the Moon Serpent killed she had no doubt that trouble would be finding her soon. Aquila swung her leg over the side of the bridge and began to slowly, cautiously climb down the gripweed.

She grasped the gripweed that wrapped around the bridge and over the handholds. It seemed like someone had carved in some sort of stairs into the side of the bridge, making it for a very safe way to climb down. Only a little bit tired, Aquila dropped down onto the second level of the bridge. It was the middle floor, with the same distance to go in order to place her feet on the earth of the Forest.

There were weeds and bushes growing throughout the middle part of the bridge, it was like a mini jungle between the masonry.

Suddenly, there was a rustle in the bushes. It was quite possible that there was a pair of eyes staring at her from them.

- Call out.
- Attack the bushes.
- Cast a spell.

>> Cast a spell <<

Aquila’s immediate thought was that this middle bridge would make a good place to possibly settle down for the night. It was out of view from those hunting her and provided some security. And then the bushes rustled behind her. Aquila turned around sharply and her fingers wrapped around her bow, an instinctive reaction. Blue eyes narrowed and the red head cast a danger detection spell as she edged away slightly. If that old man jumped out of those bushes Aquila swore she'd punch him.

Her spell did not reveal any imminent danger near her. A shadow slinked out from the bushes, its movements precise and unhurried.

"Now, that is a face I have not forgotten." Rhain purred, a smirk on his face. "What are you doing here?"

- Answer.

>> Answer <<

Aquila's expression essentially lit up at the familiar sight of the assassin and she stepped forward to meet him, hand falling away from her bow. She opened her arms as if to make for a hug, though was careful not to startle him -- the man seemed unused to gentleness or affection. "Hello Rhain," Aquila beamed with a warm smile of greeting. "I could ask you the same thing."

"It has been a long time." Rhain said. His smirk disappeared and his eyes turned serious. He looked different somehow, changed. Also it had been only two days since they saw each other. He stood away from Aquila, not approaching her, and his eyes tracked her movements warily. His hand twitched toward the pommel of his long knife when she spread her arms as if to hug him.

- "How did you get here?"
- "Where are you going?"
- "Do you know of the Seven Serpents?"
- "What's wrong?"

>> What's wrong? <<

Immediately Aquila dropped her arms and her eyebrows drew together. Rhain had never been particularly forthcoming but he seemed strange now, different. More apprehensive in a way. She retreated back a step to offer the assassin some space, head tilted marginally to the side at his comment.

"It has been two days," Aquila replied with a minute shrug of her shoulders, brows still furrowed together to give her a thoughtful expression. "What's wrong?"

Rhain unsheathed his daggers as soon as she moved, as if on reflex. He was on edge and twitchy, it was apparent. He turned toward her, though his weapons were lowered and as if seeing her for the first time, his eyes widened.

"It's been a week, Analander. What are you talking about?" He shook his head, putting the knives back and reaching up to rub at his temples. "Sorry. This place is making me anxious. And it gets worse the more time you spend between the gates of Khare and Mampang."

- Ask him about his destination.
- Ask him about the Serpents.

>> Ask him about his destination <<

A week? Aquila blinked owlishly at this news and attempted to discern how he came to that conclusion. Presuming that the assassin was telling the truth that meant Aquila was the one who had lost time -- perhaps using the Beacon caused time to pass by quicker. Though in reality she wasn't surprised that the Baklands skewed with time.

"It's fine," Aquila replied, arms crossed defensively across her chest as she changed the subject. Rhain had never told her where he was headed to, only that he had business to take care of. "Where are you trying to get to?"

"I am going to High Xamen. I was sent on this mission many months ago." He sighed. "I leapt across the Baddu-Bak gorge. I climbed the Baddu-Bak ridge and used my climbing hooks to descend into the trees. I killed seven Snattacats before I found this bridge for shelter." He paused for a moment, before asking. "How did you come here?"

- "By using the Beacon."
- "By using my wit and cunning."
- "By sheer luck."

>> By using the Beacon <<

How did you come here? That seemed like an important question to Rhain, and judging by the series of events he had experienced Aquila wasn't surprised. But it wasn't an easy question to answer, many things had happened over the last few days that had herded the sorcerer in this direction. She thought of Shadrack who had advised her, Lorag who had helped her greatly, the Centaurs which had steered her direction, even the Elves had served their purpose in a way. But the most important thing, she supposed, would be the Beacon.

"I have met many people," Aquila began quietly as her gaze slipped to the side in recollection. "Some friendlier than others, but one of them you may recognize -- Lorag. He gave me a crystal that he called the Beacon, it allows the user to slip between the past and the present." She gives the assassin a nervous smile. "It seems that I'm very reliant on the goodness of others."

"Sorcery?" Rhain asked, but then nodded as if answering his own question. "That is not smart. You have used sorcery in the lands devastated by the Archmage. He will sense it. He must have sent the Birdmen to hunt you already." He shook his head in disapproval. "You are reckless, Analander. Foolish."

The sun had set behind the peaks and the valley was dark. The middle of the bridge was elevated and would be a good place to make camp for the night.

- Make camp there.
- Continue down the bridge.
- Optional: Talk to Rhain further.

>> Make camp there: Talk to Rhain further <<
Aquila’s brow shot up in surprise and her smile fell, casting her face in shadow as she recalled the dream she'd experienced all those weeks ago. The Archmage could sense when she used magic? How else was she supposed to defeat his Serpents if she didn't use magic? Aquila chewed on her bottom lip in thought -- she would have to be more careful with her magic use then.

"Is it alright if we camp together for the night?" Aquila asked, she assumed Rhain was already hunkered down here for the night. "Lorag said it was dangerous to wander the Baklands at night."

Rhain approached her then, his expression a mix of fury and something else, not quite apparent.

"It's dangerous to stay near you for too long. Everyone and everything is hunting you now." He hissed, their gazes locking. "I should think of my mission and get away from you." But he did not move.

- Talk to him.
- Hug him.
- Kiss him.

>> Kiss him <<

Aquila took a step backward, startled by the fury in Rhain's face and the anger in his words. She didn't understand why he was angry at her, perhaps for her recklessness or something else she didn't understand. But he was always pushing her away, keeping her at arms length as if frightened to let her close. She didn't want that, to be kept at a distance. Aquila steeled her determination and stepped closer, closing the physical distance between them. "I don't want you to go," She murmured, rocking forward onto her tippy toes in order to press a gentle, measured kiss to the assassin's lips. Once again she had to be careful; unsure of how Rhain would react.

Rhain did not move when she kissed him. He stood immobile for a second, not comprehending what was happening. His lips were cold, as was his whole skin. He did not respond to Aquilaa's kiss, but when she moved away he slowly raised his hand and placed it on her cheek, gently stroking it.

"You will be the death of me." He whispered, voice rasping.

There was a faint smile on his face when he leaned toward her and kissed her, deeply, passionately, his hands grabbing her waist and bringing her closer, his kisses leaving her breathless. It was as if he had suppressed those emotions for far too long, only to let them loose now.

- Continue kissing him.
- Tug at his clothes.
- Stop.

>> Tug at his clothes <<

For a moment Aquila moved away, frightened that she'd over-stepped the unspoken boundary between them, and then she was pulled back in by Rhain's touch. The kiss took her breath away and Aquila practically melted against the assassin, happy to simply anchor herself to him. Her hands curled in the fabric of his cloak as she attempted to remove it without breaking the kiss, previous worries forgotten.

Rhain's breath was heavy when he broke the kiss for a little while. Want was written in his red eyes, plain as day. As Aquila's hand went after his cloak, he helped her fumbling fingers, undoing the straps over the chest, throwing the cloak down. For the first time she saw him without the hood. His hair was short and dark and skin pale.

As the sun set on the horizon, he pulled her close again, a hand on her cheek, the other on her hip.

"Analander. You are foolish." He whispered softly, before cutting off her breath with another kiss.

It was obvious that he had lost all restraint now, quickly removing Aquila's backpack and cloak, then throwing his own belt and weapon aside. His hand moved to unclasp her armour even as hers fumbled with his clothes.

- Continue.
- Stop.

>> Continue <<

"Why do you call me that?" Aquila murmured, her words smothered against the kiss which she gratefully met. A small part of her wanted to go slow, to enjoy this moment and to stare into the face of the man she hadn't properly seen until right now. The majority of her, however, was swift to help in removing their clothing as she smiled against the assassin's lips. Whether or not Rhain agreed with her, Aquila was happy to have this time with him.

Rhain was not going slowly. His movements were as always, quick and precise and he got rid of Aquila's clothing very quickly. He laid her on the hard stone of the bridge, trailing kisses down her neck.

Neither of them had much rest that night. They forgot to light the fire, but they kept each other warm, tangled between the bushes growing out of the stone bridge. Nothing disturbed them and they felt safe that night, even if other nights were bound to be much more dangerous for either of them.

But, they would not walk the same path through the Baklands. When sun rose, Aquila was alone. There was no sign of Rhain and she did not hear him slip away. It was something he did it often, leaving her in uncertainty. But they always found each other at some point.

Aquila was feeling hungry and a bit sore, but otherwise physically well. She had to climb up or down the bridge in order to proceed.

- Climb up.
- Climb down.
- Optional: Eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back